Maruyama Animation Produce Project Association, or better known simply as MAPPA, is a Japanese studio established on June 14, 2011 by former Madhouse staff (including co-founder Masao Mayurama).
The objective behind the studio is to achieve greater creative freedom to pursue projects that may be less obviously commercial.
Works by MAPPATelevision series
- Banana Fish
- Dororo (with Tezuka Productions)
- Garo The Animation
- Garo Crimson Moon
- GARO Vanishing Line
- Hajime no Ippo: Rising (with Madhouse)
- Kids on the Slope (with Tezuka Productions)
- Punch Line
- Rage of Bahamut: Genesis and its second season, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
- Sarazanmai (with Lapin Track)
- Shoukoku no Altair
- Teekyuu (season 1-3)
- Terror in Resonance
- To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts
- Ushio and Tora (with Studio VOLN)
- Yuri!!! on Ice
- Zombie Land Saga
- Amnesia (Production Cooperation)
- The Asterisk War (2nd Key & In-Between Animation)
- Cross Ange (2nd Key Animation)
- Diamond no Ace (2nd Key Animation)
- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (2nd Key Animation)
- FLCL Progressive (In-Between Animation; Photography)
- GATE (2nd Key & In-Between Animation)
- Kuromukuro (Photography)
- Persona 5: The Animation (In-Between Animation)
- Re:CREATORS (Photography)
- Snow White with the Red Hair (In-Between Animation)
- Space Dandy (In-Between Animation; Production Cooperation)
- Tokyo Ghoul (CGI)
- Uchuu Kyoudai (Production Cooperation)
- Idolish 7 (Music Video for Nanatsuiro REALiZE)
- Ultraman (Composite Assistance, 2019 series)
Tropes Associated with MAPPA:
- Amateur Cast: They prefer to use newer voice actors as opposed to established names in the industry.
- Animation Bump: Select scenes animate at a much more fluid pace than the rest of the episode, like the music scenes in Kids on the Slope or the fights in Rage of Bahamut: Genesis.
- Conspicuous CG: CG is prominently featured in most of their productions, though Yuri!!! on Ice and In This Corner of the World are notable exceptions.
- Off-Model: Have gotten this in more recent years thanks to series like Banana Fish and Dororo having wildly inconsistent animation quality between episodes.
- Scenery Porn
- Start My Own: Masao Maruyama formed MAPPA after retiring from Madhouse in 2011 when he was 70 years old.