Chaos Dragon is a 12-Episode Anime based on Red Dragon, a Role-Playing-Fiction project involving an all-star crew of Kinoko Nasu, Gen Urobuchi, Ryohgo Narita, Izuki Kougyoku (the author of the light novel Mimizuku to Yoru no Ou), and Simadoriru (who works with the Stripe Pattern doujin circle). Hosted by the publisher Seikaisha, it was a six day Tabletop RPG session played by the various writers with Makoto Sanda as the Fiction Master.
Nill Kamui is an island nation struggling beetween the two powers of D'Natia and Huanglan. One day, the guardian deity of the country, the Red Dragon, rampages and destroy an army led by Ibuki, a descendant of Imperial lineage whose want to communicate with it. A joint party then formed, consisting of elite soldiers from superpower countries of D'Natia and Huanglan, to investigate the cause of Red Dragon's rampage... and either try to return it to its senses or destroy it.
Hitoshi Sakimoto has composed original music for the project, and Simadoriru was in charge of the art direction. Veia was in charge of Title Design. Kiyomune Miwa and Ukyō Kodachi, the writer of Macross Frontier light novels, are the Fiction System Designers who helped shape the fictional world with Sanda. Katsushi Ōta is the overall producer of the project. Much like the Record of Lodoss War series, its replays are serialized on their official website during January 2012. The members of the staff have prepared one thousand pages and two hundred illustrations for the scenario over the period of a year, so that the authors may enjoy their session.
SILVER LINK. produced the anime and it was released in Summer 2015.
This anime provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: A lot of the information about the characters, world building, etc comes from the Red Dragon guidebook.
- The Anime of the Game: Adapted from Red Dragon.
- Anyone Can Die: There is Gen Urobuchi in there, folks... expect people to die.
- Simadoriru as well, just ready any of the White Stripe Touhou Doujins. It only takes two episodes for Ibuki's best friends to die horribly.
- Badass Cape: Luo Zhenjie.
- BFS: Swallow's Black Blade skill.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ibuki and Eiha to Agito.
- Big Bad: Inori drove the Red Dragon mad, leading to the destruction of much of Nill Kamui, while trying to bend the country to her rule.
- Body Horror: Luo after his/her bisection, still bearing a massive, disfiguring scar on his/her stomach.
- Crazy-Prepared: Luo again. On the first meeting with the other main characters, he went to Eight Arms Clan's headquarters to seek a pawn for himself. He himself stood back to observe the meeting from a vantage point. All other players are flabbergasted.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: the first battle, Ibuki, Eiha and Val against Agito's would-be-assassins. Val just 'gobble' them.
- Expy: Urlica Ledesma is noted by the readers as a Saber clone.
- Flash Forward: The story begins with Red Dragon's first rampage, but the main story starts 2 months later.
- Legendary Weapon: Luo's demonic sword, the Tisha Qianling.
- Limited Wardrobe: Not surprising for a story based on an RPG session. This one went on six nights in a row and no one talked about changing their clothes.
- Gender Flip: Luo Zhenjie became a woman called Luo Zhenfa in the TV series.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Nasu immediately assumed that Luo was one of these. Given that he/she was played by Gen Urobuchi, it's not even a spoiler.
- Paint It Black: Swallow's arms from the Curse of Pulverization.
- Not Quite Dead: Luo.
- Rule of Cool: The original character designs — the creators were encouraged to go wild. For example, Swallow's crazy greaves and five swords in scabbards at his hip.
- Luo's high heels in the TV series are the definition of Awesome, but Impractical.
- Spiritual Successor: Is essentially a Modern Day Slayers or Record of Lodoss War, which were also based on Table Top Rpg sessions of their respective creators.
- Superpower Lottery: Swallow's Curse of Pulverization, that triples his battle and weapon prowess... but destroy his weapons on first use.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Swallow and Luo.
- Title Drop: The final boss is also the title of the RPF.
- Worthy Opponent: Swallow and Luo. Mainly because Swallow's player couldn't bring himself to trust Luo's player.
- Wuxia : The Chinese influenced setting along with the journey that takes place throughout the entire series brings to mind Wuxia.