You once again play as a silent, unnamed Space Marine in a suit of gray-green Powered Armor, who after being hurled into an extended trip to parts unknown as your "reward" for ripping and tearing your way through a demonic invasion on Mars, finds yourself transported to Earth. Except now it's Hell on Earth, as The Legions of Hell have managed to invade the home of humanity, too. Now it's up to you to protect the few pockets of mankind scattered across the solar system the only way you know how: With guns, chainsaws, your upgraded armor and your bare hands, kill every demon in your path. Never resting. Never stopping. Ravenous. Everlasting. Eternal.
Eternal takes the previous game's mechanics and turns the dial past 11, adding: new weapons, like the Ballista and the Crucible. New Secondary Fire mods, like a chained "meat hook" that can pull you towards enemies for the Super Shotgun. New abilities, like a dash move and flamethrower alt weapon. New enemies, like the Doomhunter and Marauder, along with old favorites, like the Arch-Viles, Pain Elementals and Arachnotrons from Doom II. New settings, like Hell on Earth from Doom II and Phobos from the original Doom. And a new invasion mechanic that allows players, alone or as a group, to join a single-player campaign in progress as various enemy types and hinder the Doom Slayer's attempts to obliterate the demon horde.
The game is set for release on November 22nd, 2019.
DOOM Eternal provides examples of:
- Ascended Meme: In the invasion mechanic reveal, one of the hostile players— a Revenant— has a handle of D00t76, referencing a silly fan edit of the Doom (2016) cover featuring a Revenant playing a trumpet with the word "DOOT" under him◊. Even better, there's a multiplayer skin for the Revenant that gives it brass armor with shoulder-mounted trumpets.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: The E3 2019 trailer starts with a raspy voice asking "Why are you here?". Answer Cut to the Doom Slayer chainsawing a demon in two - not giving two hoots about why he is where he is when there's demons to kill.
- Asymmetric Multiplayer: According to the E3 2019 trailer, Battlemode is a 2v1 deathmatch mode which pits a single Doomslayer against two demons of the opponent's choice in a best-of-five match. Player-controlled demons will have the ability to spawn lesser AI-controlled demons, but doing so presents a risk because the Doom Slayer can glory kill them for health pickups.
- Badass Normal: During the demo, you can briefly see a duo of regular Human Commandos fending off a horde of Imps in the background- and they are winning- showing that training, skill, and guns is all that humanity needs to fight back against the demonic hordes.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: The Doom Slayer now has an extendable combat knife equipped on his left forearm gauntlet that is used in various glory kills to slash and stab demons.
- The Dreaded: In a 2018 QuakeCon trailer, the Doom Slayer walks through a command center of still-living humans, who all stop what they're doing after noticing him and back away with a mixture of abject horror and awe. Even when the Slayer drags a guy with a key hung around his neck to a door lock, no one objects at all, including the guy he's dragging (granted, given the distance involved, it causes the poor guy only moderate discomfort rather than any real bodily harm). When the guards outside start to tell the Slayer he can't be there, they can't even finish after seeing who they're talking to, and just keep silent even as the Doomguy walks right up to them and takes the plasma rifle out of one of the guard's hands. The PA even echoes the sentiment before the trailer's gameplay footage begins.PA: Warning: The Slayer has entered the facility.
- The Mall: The first part of the gameplay demo has the Doom Slayer fight through a shopping mall mostly infested by, appropriately enough, Possessed.
- Mythology Gag:
- In the Quakecon 2018 gameplay reveal, one of the two invaders has the handle Daisy121, referencing the Doom Marine's pet rabbit in the original two games.
- The game's standard edition box art has a small rabbit running through hell behind an Arachnotron, also in reference to the Doomguy's pet rabbit Daisy from the original games' continuity.
- Our Angels Are Different: The game's story trailer and promotional artwork shows that angels in Doom Eternal have a cybernetic appearance.
- The E3 teaser references Terminator 2: Judgment Day's skull-stomping shot. Only that it's the Doom Slayer crushing a demon's skull, and it's Judgment Day for the demons.