Static-X is an American industrial metal/nu metal/evil disco band formed in 1994 by singer/rhythm guitarist Wayne Static and drummer Ken Jay, eventually bringing in Tony Campos as the bassist, and Koichi Fukuda as the lead guitarist.
Founded during the rise of nu metal, their music can be best described as electronic music with significant metal and nu metal influences, though they would later ditch the nu metal aspects of their music.
The band had a hiatus on 2010, after which Static reformed the band in 2011 as the only member of it. It would break up in 2014, after Static died from multiple prescription drug toxicity.
The band would reform in 2018, with the original members from their first album, along with a new masked frontmannote , and plan on releasing material not used in previous albums.
- Tony Campos bass, backing vocals (19942010, 2018present)
- Koichi Fukuda lead guitar, keyboards, programming (19942000, 20052010, 2018present)
- Ken Jay drums (19942003, 2018present)
- Xer0note lead vocals, rhythm guitar (2019present)
- Wayne Static lead vocals, rhythm guitar (19942010, 20122013; died 2014); keyboards, programming (20002005)
- Tripp Eisen lead guitar (20002005)
- Nick Oshiro drums (20032009)
- Brent Ashley bass, backing vocals (2012)
- Andy Cole bass, backing vocals (20122013)
- Diego Ibarra lead guitar (20122013)
- Sean Davidson drums (20122013)
- Will Hunt drums (2009)
- Bevan Davies drums (2009)
- Wisconsin Death Trip (1999)
- Machine (2001)
- Shadow Zone (2003)
- Start a War (2005)
- Cannibal (2007)
- Cult of Static (2009)
- Project Regeneration Volume 1 (2020)
"Tropes for Days":
- Dem Bones: Hollow's videoclip features a skeleton that sings Wayne's vocals.
- Dramatic Unmask: The shovel lady from the I'm With Stupid videoclip? Wayne, who somehow manages to simulteanously be out in the open while frontlining a show.
- Original Generation: Project Regeneration included songs that had no involvement from Wayne whatsoever, such as Otsego Placebo and Accelerate.
- Shovel Strike: A crazed shovel lady who appeared in the videoclip for "I'm With Stupid".
- Revolving Door Band: Wayne and Tony were the band's only consistent members.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!:
- Koichi left the band after heavy touring in support of their debut album Wisconsin Death Trip, citing burnout. He did came back from Start a War onward, however.
- Ken Jay left the band before recording for Shadow Zone. While he was reluctant to give details, it was heavily implied that Wayne's escalating drug abuse problem was a factor in it and he made it clear that nothing would've stopped him from leaving. He rejoined the band from Project Regeneration onward.
- The Undead: Invoked with Xer0, who was compared to a zombie Wayne.
Wayne Static is the main founding member of Static-X and was it's longest running member until his untimely death in 2014. While Static-X is his most famous project, it is far from his first: his first band was Deep Blue Dream in 1987, with Ken Jay, Eric Harris and Billy Corgan, but that project was short-lived after a relocation to California.