Darker and Edgier it may be, but that doesn't stop the Cell Saga from being hilarious.
Warning: Spoilers Off applies to these pages. Proceed at your own risk
- The simple fact that this episode started the third season with bait and switch credits meant to make the viewer think that the Garlic Jr. Saga is going to be played out in full...only for Garlic Jr. and his flunkies try to mess with Mr. Popo. The viewer is likely to figure out they're joke credits when two shots emphasize Maron's breasts and ass.
- Bulma cockblocking Yamcha by saying "No one screws Yamcha but life!"
- Plus she points out Maron's similarity to her. "Blue hair? Real original."
- The scene after the opening credits, where a narrator calmly tells the audience of a type of tuna that was nearly fished to extinction by the inhabitants in the area surrounding Lake Paozu, but is now slowly working its way to a sustainable population and then Gohan kills 4 of the fish by punching them out of the waterNarrator: (Still speaking smoothly and calmly) Oh sweet salty Christ no.
- This leads to Krillin saying that Gohan is pounding his mom's tuna. And Roshi cracking up each time. Of course, this ultimately becomes a rumor, and eventually gets to Chi-Chi.Chi-Chi: Alright! I demand to know who has been spreading rumors that I have been forcing Gohan to, and I quote, POUND MY TUNA!
Krillin: Look Chi-Chi, if it really upsets you, we'll all take turns pounding your tuna, ok? But, only if we get to eat it together.
Roshi: (off-screen) ...Heh heh heh HEH HEH! AAAAAAlHAA! AAAA-
- This leads to Krillin saying that Gohan is pounding his mom's tuna. And Roshi cracking up each time. Of course, this ultimately becomes a rumor, and eventually gets to Chi-Chi.
- When Krillin introduces his new persona to Gohan, the slightly deadpan reaction from Gohan is just hilarious:Krillin: (off-screen) Hey Gohan! Goin' fishin'?
Gohan: (after catching four rare Paozu Tuna) Yup! With Dad gone, I'm the bread-winner now. (seeing Krillin's new get-up) What's with the weird clothes, Krillin?
Krillin: Ah, ah, ah! My name is no longer "Krillin." My new name is "Juan Sanchez."
Gohan: (slightly deadpan) ...I'm compelled to ask "Why".
- Also, when Krillin explains why, Gohan's reaction:Gohan: Wait, your last name's "Sanchez"?
- Gohan's Covert Pervert moment.Krillin: She says I have a very rich personality.
Maron: And a wealth of knowledge.
Krillin: And her boobs are as big as my head.
Gohan: I have made the comparison.
- Although considering his disapproving expression, it could be that he's subtly insulting Krillin's intelligence.
- Also, when Krillin explains why, Gohan's reaction:
- "Goodbye Gonad, see you at Master Hoe-shi's!"
- TFS's The Walking Zed
- While in the original series it was part of the Garlic Jr. saga, here it's explained that it was a theme from the last party hosted at Kame House.
- Mr. Popo resolving the entire Garlic Jr. Saga in a few seconds by assimilating Garlic Jr. and his henchmen like he did Blue Popo.
- Popo's booty-call from earlier in the episode, and Kami's reaction."Jynx, Jynx, Jynx!"
Popo: Shut up bitch, you love it!
Kami: The last time he did this I found five corpses... he laughed when I said five.
- There is also something oddly hilarious about Kami saying the phrase "booty-call".
- Popo's explanation for why the lookout is a mess. He had Italian for dinner.Kami: What does that have to do with—
Popo: 'CAUSE IT WAS NOTHIN' BUT GARLIC!
- Popo's booty-call from earlier in the episode, and Kami's reaction.
- Kanye West's Gold Digger playing as Krillin and Maron drive away from Gohan's house
- Then The Guess Who's American Woman playing at Kame House.
- Piccolo and Kami's interactions. Nail gets into this.Kami: You do know that [fusing] technique is forbidden, Piccolo.
Piccolo: Your face is forbidden!
Nail: Sadly, that was the best one up here.
Piccolo: SHUT IT NAIL!
- Krillin learning that his girlfriend is actually an undercover government agent investigating suspicions of him being guilty of insurance fraud. His Jaw Drop will have you in stitches.
- Hearing the line "Bitch is a gold digger" in Turtle's voice.
- Oolong complaining about everyone celebrating Turtle's birthday when they never celebrated his. Everybody ignores him.
- Roshi warning everyone that the huge amount of candles on Turtle's birthday cake is a fire hazard. And then they light his beard on fire.Roshi: MY BEARD! MY GLORIOUS BEARD! NO!
- Maron questioning whether if Yajirobe and Korin would have either little fat men or kitties for children.Korin: Probably fat kitties.
- Turtle wondering why Krillin's outside Roshi's houseTurtle: Why aren't you upstairs sleeping with your girlfriend like everyone else?
- The exchange between Bulma and Yamcha at the beginning.Yamcha: So, where did you bury me anyway?
Bulma: Bury? (cut to Yamcha's body still decaying in the pit he died in)
- And Yamcha calling Bulma a slut for dreaming about Vegeta... then calling her a slut again when she clarifies that they were just walking in a park.
- Bulma Tempting Fate:
- Bulma's parents continue to be a comedic duo of ditzy (Mrs. Briefs) and terribly racist (Dr. Briefs):
- Vegeta's encounter with Yamcha. He initially confuses him with a valet. After Yamcha reminds them that they previously fought, Vegeta reasserts that he only fought Goku, Nappa fought all the rest... except the one scrub who lost to a Saibaman. Then Vegeta breaks out into laughter when he realizes Yamcha is said scrub.Yamcha: Oh yeah?! I dare you to come over here and laugh at me!
Vegeta: (zips immediately in front of Yamcha) Ha. Ha. Ha.
Yamcha: There, see? Now we can laugh together.
Bulma (entering): Okay, seriously, we have enough to clean up without a pool of Yamcha's urine.
- Bulma's interactions with Vegeta are hilarious.
- Bulma demanding Vegeta takes a shower, because she can smell him from East City. Vegeta complies, while muttering that he can smell her from East City.
- Yamcha lampshading that he seems to be the only one bothered that the man directly/indirectly responsible for most of their deaths at some point, is currently showering in the other room and talking about living there.
- After having put Vegeta's Saiyan Armor in the wash, Bulma sneaks a peek at his ass while he's in the shower (particularly noticing the spot where his tail used to be):Bulma: (walks out onto the deck where Yamcha and Krillin are) Ok, so I just got a look at Vegeta's ass, and besides being surprisingly nice, he's got this weird hole.
Yamcha: Uh, yeah, even boys have those, Bulma
Bulma: No, you idiot! I mean a hole above that one.
Yamcha: ...You mean he's a chick?
- Then we hear Vegeta call for her from the shower...Vegeta: Earth woman! Where's the cleansing powder?
Bulma: We don't have that here. We have soap.
Vegeta: The hell is "soap"?
Bulma: It's that yellow block there made of animal fat.
Vegeta: That sounds awesome! (chomp) Blah! This tastes nothing like what you just said!
- As a result of that, Yamcha changes his mind about Vegeta living on Earth:
- And finally, Vegeta's reaction upon discovering a certain item of clothing...
- The various fighters sensing Freeza approaching Earth.Vegeta: (slams a fist down on the table) Son of a bitch!
Yamcha: What, are you still ticked off about the shirt?
Vegeta: No, I'm — well, yes actually, I'm absolutely livid — but that's not the point! That idiot Kakarot failed! FREEZA'S STILL ALIVE!
Tien: Chiatzou, do you feel that? There are two enormous power levels approaching the planet.
Chiatzou: Yeah, see, last time this happened...I blew myself up.
Tien: Yeah. I was gonna ask you to hold off on that this time.
- Nail having plans for building a house after Piccolo clears a glacier.
- When Piccolo detects Freeza's approach:Piccolo: Freeza?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO—
Nail: (annoyed) Okay, I'm right here, please stop yelling!
- Malfunctioning Freeza.My God this is droll, we're so far out in the space-sti-sti-di-dicks that there's not even a Space Radio Shack. Much less a Space Best Buy-Buy-Buy-Buy-Circuit City.
- Krillin continues with the double entendres.Gohan: Now, are you sure it's him?
Krillin: Gohan, once you've had a man inside of you, you know when he's coming.
- The juxtaposition of Gohan and Vegeta getting their armor back.
- Vegeta has a thing for Tempting Fate in this episode.Vegeta: Why don't all you idiots just start showing up?!
Krillin: Hey, Vegeta!
Vegeta: I WAS F**KING KIDDING!!
- Vegeta's infamous pink shirt having "Juicy" on the back of it.
- Yamcha losing it when Freeza and King Cold arrive. Followed by Krillin saying that if Yamcha wasn't doing that, Krillin would.
- King Cold in general. He's calm, yet still a Large Ham at the same time. Also, he refers to Freeza of all people as a "darling, little angel".
- Vegeta saying "Y'all are bitches."
- Tien getting in on making fun of Vegeta's new shirt as soon as he arrives, showing that he's Not So Above It All.Tien: Oh, hey Vegeta.
Tien: Nice shirt.
Vegeta: And there it is!
- And then the moment where Piccolo comments on the shirt.Piccolo: Yeah, it's the kind of shirt that really screams— (senses Freeza approaching and gasps) HE'S COMING!
- And then the moment where Piccolo comments on the shirt.
- Freeza's Golden Snitch.Speaking of which Soldiers, the scavenger hunt will proceed as such. Normal human heads are worth one point. Namekian heads are worth twenty. Filthy half-Saiyan brats: Fifty. And if you find any miserable, odious, insubordinate full-blooded monkey garbage You win.
- ...and then his men promptly fall to the ground in pieces in Trunks' wake.Trunks: So how many points are those?
- ...and then his men promptly fall to the ground in pieces in Trunks' wake.
- Trunks explaining that he's been practicing the Diagonal Cut technique for some time.
- Freeza going into a full Villainous Breakdown at the sight of Trunks going Super Saiyan, with a brief flashback to Goku on Planet Namek.Freeza: Th-those eyes... they're the same as...
(flashback to Super Saiyan Goku staring him down)
Goku: (distant whisper) Pizza...
Freeza: No. No! NO! NO!! NO!!! KILL!!! (zap) MURDER!!! (bzzt) DESTROY!!! (kssh) EXTERMINATE!!! EXTERMINATE!!!
- Bonus points because the Leitmotif of the Daleks was playing.
- And after that, when it looks like the Death Ball Freeza launched at Trunks killed him... NAAAAAAAAAANTS INGONYAMAAAAAAA!Trunks: Well, Freeza! Looks like you dropped the ball!
Trunks: Dropped the ball.
Trunks: Drrrropped the ba—
Freeza: YAGH! (fires at Death Ball, which explodes spectacularly)
King Cold: You almost destroyed the whole planet there...
Freeza: Sorry, I got a little bit carried away. Doesn't matter now, though; our little "super Saiyan" is dead-dead-dead-(zap) cadaverrific.
- Freeza going into a full Villainous Breakdown at the sight of Trunks going Super Saiyan, with a brief flashback to Goku on Planet Namek.
- Bulma starts hitting on Trunks. While calm on the outside, he is understandably screaming in his head.Bulma: So hey, like just gonna throw this out there. You're really cute.
Trunks: Well, you know, my mom always said I was a cute kid.
Bulma: Oh a momma's boy huh? I'll be your mommy. ;)
Trunks: (Strained smile) (thinking) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
Caption: Internal Screaming
Krillin: Can I have another Hetap?
Trunks: (hysterically) YES! YES YOU CAN!
- Bonus points for the internal scream being so loud that it actually is audible when Krillin starts speaking.
- And later, when Vegeta tries to figure out who Trunks is
Vegeta: If he's never met him before, how the hell does this kid know where Kakarot is going to land? And he can't actually be a damn Saiyan. Either he's a liar, or maybe wait a second! Did someone drink the last Hetap!? I'll kill you!
- While Vegeta is thinking to himself, Trunks is trying to wave off Bulma's questioning him about his Capsule Corp jacket.Trunks: I've always been a fan of Capsule Corp... yyyep, love storing things, that is...
- While Vegeta is thinking to himself, Trunks is trying to wave off Bulma's questioning him about his Capsule Corp jacket.
- Mecha Freeza suffers a literal BSOD upon being sliced.
- Even better, the BSOD noise continues as the Diagonal Cut happens, and it invokes the feel of dramatic Japanese drums reaching a crescendo.
- What makes it one of the best jokes in the entire series is that after Frieza is cut, his scream hangs for a second before the BSOD screen appears, revealing that Freeza is in fact running on either Windows 95, 98, or ME, which explains why he keeps on malfunctioning. In fact it's a perfect example of how a Windows BSOD occurs in Real Life right down to how any sound being played on the speakers hangs when the system crashes.
- Hilariously, KaiserNeko mentioned in a later podcast that there were many viewers who had been watching the episode full-screen and freaked out when the BSOD hit.
- The slogan on Vegeta's shirt gets increasingly suggestive as the episode goes on. Going from "Dum Cumpster" to "Pull My Hair" to "Blowjob Princess". Bonus point for Vegeta saying "I'm a real man!" while the shirt says "Blowjob Princess". At one point, they just go ahead and slap the gay pride flag on there.
- Trunks' GPS.GPS: Fly 300 metres north-west, then land near IDIOT ROCK.
Trunks: So that's what they called it before "Idiot Crater".
- Vegeta's reaction to learning that there is another Super Saiyan.Gohan: Guys, I think that person is a Super Saiyan.
Vegeta: Like hell he is!
Krillin: Spiky gold hair, incredible power
Vegeta: You don't know that he's a Super Saiyan. Maybe he's Super Human, huh?! Maybe you slackers haven't been trying hard enough!
Tien: Says the non-Super Saiyan.
Vegeta: FUCK OFF!
- When Trunks offers everyone a drink.Tien: Isn't it a little early to start drinking?
Bulma: Hey, 5 o'clock was 20 hours ago! *downs a can*
- When Vegeta refuses to trust Trunks' claim that Goku will arrive soon, Goku does just that."That could be anyone!"
- Vegeta instantly hating Trunks when he turns to them.Trunks: Hey guys!
Vegeta: Fuck this guy!
- After that;Trunks: I'm about to go meet Goku, just follow me!
Gohan: Wait, did he just say my dad?
Krillin: Wait Gohan, we don't know if we can trust this guy.
Trunks: I also brought snacks!
Krillin: ...but the Bible does say love thy neighbour!
Gohan: You're a Buddhist.
Krillin: A hungry Buddhist.
- After that;
- The Stinger with Bulma and Krillin's conversation about Trunks' "carpet matching the drapes", with Krillin revealing that his does.Krillin: It's called man-scaping.
Bulma: It's weird.
Krillin: It's hygienic.
- Poor Yamcha. He can never catch a break.(when Yamcha is questioning why they brought Bulma to the battle)
Yamcha: Personally, I don't think Bulma should be here, a battlefield is no place for a lady.
Vegeta: ...And yet you're sticking around.
Yamcha: I'm serious, I worry about her safety. And as my close personal friend, possibly even bestie, I think we need to consider-Aaagh!
(Bulma grabs his ear)
Bulma: Anyone want to explain to Yamcha here what ten pounds of torque does to a human ear?
Gohan: ...Rips it off?
Bulma: Very good, Gohan!
Krillin: (laughter dies down) Oooh we're gonna fucking die.
- After Trunks asks Freeza why he has "spare parts" coming out of him
Freeza: Impudent little These are not spare parts! What you are looking at is the ultimate culmination of science and nature!
Trunks: Oh, wow! I've never seen that before.
- Freeza likes to play 'Pretty Pink Princess'.Freeza: Daddy, not in front of the malcontent!King Cold: But it's so cute when you do it.Freeza: I haven't done that since I was eigh-eigh-eigh- my quinceañera.
- When Trunks confronts Freeza, he invokes the No Pronunciation Guide (With an ounce of Spell My Name with an "S"). It's Freeza and Cold's "WTF" reaction that sells it.Trunks: So, you must be Frieza ("Fry-za").
Freeza: Actually, it's Lord Freeza.
Trunks: Really? Then why is there an I in it?
Freeza: (icily) There isn't.
Trunks: Huh. Gonna have to fix that when I get back then.
- When Trunks goes Super Saiyan the rest of the cast conclude it's either Goku or
Freeza's mom.Krillin: Who here just thought of Freeza with boobs?
Krillin: Really? I'm the only one?
Vegeta: Yes! (thinking) He must never know.
- In the opening, Freeza tries to narrate the disclaimer, but his Verbal Tic gets so bad (around saying Dragon Ball GT, no less) that King Cold ends up having to finish it for him. It gets better when Freeza's glitching stops and he says "Absalon", which refers to another fan-made Dragon Ball series.
- When the Z-Fighters finally arrive just in time for Trunks to finish off Freeza.Krillin: Where's Freeza!? Oh, there he is
(Trunks dices Freeza up and blows him up)
Krillin: And there...and there...(scorched piece of Freeza hits him in the head)...and here...Is that his brain?
- And after Trunks kills Cold and destroys their ship.Krillin: Good work, team!
- And after Trunks kills Cold and destroys their ship.
- This little quick gem when Trunks properly meets the group.Trunks: Now I'm sure you're all wondering why I brought you here.
Yamcha: To kill us!
Vegeta: To kill snacks!
- Which, knowing Vegeta, is probably a legitimate response.
- Goku's return to Earth and finding out he's a liiiiiiiittle late to the party.Goku: GUYS, WE DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME! FREEZER'S HERE AND— (sees everyone cheering) Yaaaaaaaaay ah ha what?
- This hilarious exchange following Freeza's deathKing Cold: (angrily) You murdered my princess ! (calmly) Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
King Cold: Yeah!
Trunks: Okay sorta thought you'd be a little more pissed.
King Cold: Oh, blindingly so. Mind if I see your sword?
Trunks: What? Why?
King Cold: I just wish to hold it.
King Cold: Oh, come on, be neighborly.
Trunks: I'm not your neighbor. I also think I hate you.
King Cold: Look, after what you did, I can fit what's left of my son into a meat pie. Let me see your stupid sword!
King Cold: >:(
Trunks: (sighs) Fine. (lobs sword at King Cold, who catches it)
King Cold: See~? Nothing nefarious, I just wanted to inspect the craftsmanship... admire the temper... test the edge ON YOU, YOU INSUBORDINATE HICK— (charges Trunks, only for Trunks to catch the sword with one hand...and then he powers up) Huh... still not sure if you hate me?
Trunks: Actually...that pretty much sealed it. (blasts a hole through King Cold's chest)
King Cold: N-no! No, wait! We could work out a deal! If you spare my life... I'll give you a planet! Three planets! Two and a half?
Trunks: You just went down.
King Cold: I'm a haggler...?
(Trunks blasts King Cold to atoms, then does the same to his ship)
- Freeza's still a horrible boss, but Trunks plays off him SO WELL. After Trunks threatens to kill him...Freeza: (chuckle) My, my! Not five minutes on this wayward rock, and we already have a volunteer-teer-teer-(zap) dead man. Soldiers! Do your jobs.
Soldier: Lord Freeza, with all due respect...
Freeza: This sounds like insubordination...
Soldier: He just turned an entire squad into a PILE OF LIMBS.
Freeza: And THAT sounds like it's not my problem.
Soldier 2: Man, move your bitchin' bitch ass over bitch! (uses scouter on Trunks) What, power level of five? Shit, ain't nobody got time for that. (shoots at Trunks, who easily deflects it into a mount-plateau)
Soldier 2: Well that ain't right... (Falcon Punched by Trunks into Freeza's ship)
Trunks: Consider that a warning. Either leave now or die.
Freeza: Ooh, is that an ultimatum? I love ultimatums! Here's mine. Either die to him or die to me! (Trunks takes a stance as the soldiers rush him...and slashes them all faster then can be seen; all the soldiers are still standing, immobile)
Freeza: What...What just happened?
Trunks: Give it a second.
Freeza: No, really. They're just...
Trunks: No, no hang on... (Trunks sheathes his sword and the bodies all drop)
Trunks: Yeah, took me a whole three months to get that one down. They make it look a lot easier then it really is. (one soldier is shown still alive, visibly terrified of Trunks) REAL hard part was that guy's armor. (said soldier's scouter breaks in half, and his armor follows suit as Trunks keeps talking) Went through a dozen mannequins before I cinched that one. (the soldier backs away slowly from Trunks...)
Freeza: You missed a spot. (impales the soldier with his arm)
Soldier 3: Lord Freeza... the f*ck? (Freeza pulls his arm out and the soldier drops)
King Cold: You know that was our last minion.
Freeza: So? We have more at home.
King Cold: Yes, but now there's no one to fly the ship.
Freeza: I can fly it.
King Cold: Son? We do NOT fly ourselves. Flying is for the help.
- Goku sees Trunks transform into a Super Saiyan the first time.Goku: What happened to your hair? It's yellow!
Trunks: Um... so's yours.
Goku: It is?!
- Goku is asked to explain how he survived Namek's explosion.Goku: Muffin butto—
Gohan: Don't say muffin button!
Goku: But it was! There's science and stuff.
- Goku explains that he made so many muffins that they shielded from the blast and carried him to another planet.
- Bulma and Vegeta getting into some Destructo-Nookie. Also Vegeta's reaction to her question:Vegeta: ...the fuck's a condom?
- Brick Joke. He had a similar reaction about soap.
- It should be noted that this is the first main-series use of an unbleeped and uninterrupted "fuck," making this also a Precision F-Strike.
- It should also be noted that having sex during Episode 34
- Also Vegeta for some reason firing the Galick Gun during the, ahem, climax. And immediately following this, smoke from the hole it made can be seen going into the night sky.
- Also their back-and-forth insulting each other before doing it, ending with a Macross Missile Massacre of Atomic F-Bombs.Bulma: Oh, no! The Prince is getting all huffy! What are you gonna do, try to blow up Earth again? Because I have Goku on speed dial.
Vegeta: You must be as stupid as he is if you think he knows how to work a phone!
Bulma: Don't you call me stupid!
Vegeta: Okay, then how about BITCH?!
Bulma: Arrogant dick!
Vegeta: Spoiled sow!
Bulma: F*** you!
Vegeta: F*** you!
Bulma: F*** YOU!
Vegeta: F***... YOU!
Bulma: ...my room, 10 minutes.
- In the Gag Sub, Vegeta and Bulma are identified as those insults during the F-bombs. And for the last line, Bulma's name is adjusted to "horny spoiled sow".
- How did they incorporate the infamous driving episode? Goku and Piccolo just suddenly decide to go for a joyride. Which they ditch training (and Gohan) for.Goku: Sooooo... Wanna go drive cars?
- The Lampshade Hanging on how Goku could have just teleported himself on Freeza's ship, ending it all there, to which he he replies he wanted to "give you guys a chance". Piccolo asks him never to do that again, but Goku makes no promises. Bonus point since, in canon, that will be exactly the reason Goku won't kill Buu himself, which will end getting '''everyone''', but him and Vegeta dead and the Earth destroyed. He should have made that promise.
- Trunks' farewell.
- Goku's reaction to Trunks telling him he's Bulma and Vegeta's son. Piccolo's reaction to it really sells it.
- Trunks introducing himself to Goku.Trunks: (thinking) OK, Trunks. Don't be nervous. He's just a normal guy. Just introduce yourself.
Trunks: So, you're Sun Wukong, right? (thinking) Dammit!
Goku: I am Son Goku, yes.
Trunks: (thinking) Roll with it.
- This is actually a double joke. It's a reference to the character Goku is loosely based on.
- In this series, Trunks reveals that Goku's death by heart attack is caused by high cholesterol.Trunks: (to Goku) According to the coroner, too much bacon.
Goku: (turns Super Saiyan) You take that back.
Trunks: But listen. In the future, my mother has developed medication that will help level your cholesterol.
Goku: Is it grape-flavored?
Trunks: I don't know. Yes?
Goku: 'Cause I don't like grape.
Trunks: Then it's bacon-flavored.
- A Black Comedy bit where while the other Z-fighters (except Goku) are killed by the Androids or cyborgs, Yamcha is Driven to Suicide when he learns Bulma is pregnant with Vegeta's child. Goku's reaction to the news really sells it.Goku: Dark.
- Goku's confusion about whether God is Kami or King Kai. Later, when he learns who Future Trunks' parents are:Goku: Oh, my Gamikai.
- The team comparing Future Trunks Super Saiyan status with Goku's Super Saiyan status:Bulma: Blonde spiky hair...
Gohan: Incredible aura...
Krillin: Well, Vegeta, now that Goku's here to compare, we can finally say for sure that that kid's a Super—
Vegeta: Utter one more word, and no dragon alive will be able to fix what I do to you.
Krillin: ...So, Tien, have you been lifting? Because you are jacked.
Tien: Yeah. Who knows? Maybe I'll be the next Super Sayian.
(Vegeta mutters Angrish at Tien)
- Goku is the next to mention Vegeta's shirt.Goku: Oh, hey Vegeta! Nice shirt.
Goku: Pink is a good colour on you!
Vegeta: (thinking) ...Just take the compliment.
- The episode in general continued the trend of Tien managing to press all of Vegeta's buttons.Vegeta: ...And I, as a Super Saiyan, relish the challenge.
Goku: (gasp) You're a Super Saiyan, Vegeta? Show me!
Vegeta: I... well yeah, I just... I—
Tien: Don't tell me, you're not in the mood.
Vegeta: What, does that third eye make you psychic?
Tien: No, but it does help me see bullshit.
Vegeta: Hey, you know what?!
Vegeta: F*ck you. (flies off)
- Gohan still hasn't worked out the art of dodging.
- Trunks' time machine using the TARDIS sound effect.
- And The Doctor Forever was playing in that scene
- Piccolo explaining to Goku that he heard the whole conversation between him and Trunks.Piccolo: I heard everything.
Goku: Please don't tell everybody.
Piccolo: Ohohohoho, I won't.
Nail: I will.
Piccolo: Shut up Nail.
Goku: On Mar—
- The fact that Piccolo understands everything Trunks said to Goku better than Goku does. When Goku is relaying the news to the gang, Piccolo corrects him on almost every point — at one point, Goku even looks to Piccolo for confirmation on something that was told to Goku.
Goku: May... twenty—
Goku: May twelfth! At ten... PM—
Goku: AM. (beat, Goku looks over at Piccolo) ...nine miles?
Piccolo: Nine miles.
Goku: Nine miles off of... North—
Goku: South City!
- When Goku accidentally launches Chi-Chi out of the house and through a tree.Gohan: DAD, RUN!
Gohan: THE WORST SHE CAN DO IS GROUND ME, NOW RUN!
- Before that, we had Chi-Chi's reaction to Goku wanting to take Gohan training:Chi-Chi: LIKE HELL YOU WILL!
Goku: Oh, come on, Chi-Chi.
Chi-Chi: Don't you "Come on, Chi-Chi" me! You're gone off in God knows where space, refuse to let the dragon take you home, and the first thing you ask for when you get back? "Oh, hey, Chi-Chi, mind if I take our baby boy to go train to FIGHT SOME MONSTER ROBOTS?!"
Goku: Androids. And the first thing I asked about was dinner.
Chi-Chi: The answer is NO!
Goku: No to dinner or no to Gohan?
- Before that, we had Chi-Chi's reaction to Goku wanting to take Gohan training:
- "Look at my nipples, LOOK AT THEM!!"
- (ship outside explodes) "AAH! My nipples!!"
- Gohan seems to be getting reeeeally tired of Goku's antics.
- Goku testing out Instant transmission by stealing Master Roshi's sunglasses.Roshi: GOKU JUST DONE STOLE MY GLASSES!
- Made even better when you realize Master Roshi was listening to "Sex Bomb" by Tom Jones when "Goku done stole [his] glasses!"
- When Goku comes back and wonders how everyone's alive, Bulma says it was Trunks. This exchange, happens.Goku: Oh, if it ain't you, you old so-an-so! It's been so long since I, uh... I... I mean... You...
Trunks: We've never met before.
Goku: Oh, thank God! Or Kami, or King Kai, I don't know; that whole thing is screwy.
- And after Trunks leaves...Goku: What a nice young lady.
- Goku and Piccolo training Gohan.
- Piccolo asks how Goku managed to convince Chi Chi to train Gohan.Piccolo: By the way, how did you convince your wife to let him train with you?
Goku: We're on a field trip to the Ozarks. (beat) Please, never tell her we were here.
Piccolo: What are you talking about? We're just "studying".
(both grin while saying Haaaa to each other in complicity)
Piccolo: Let's go drive cars again.
- In The Stinger, Gohan is still in the ground.
- Piccolo asks how Goku managed to convince Chi Chi to train Gohan.
- Goku lets slip to Chi-Chi that he's taking Gohan to fight androids. One awkward silence later, a neat Call-Back to the first few episodes occurs.Goku: I'm taking Gohan, bye!
- Followed immediately by Chi-Chi screaming in the background as they fly-off.
- Also, Gohan's reaction to Goku messing up. You can tell he is tired of Goku's shit.Gohan: (exasperated) Three years, Dad. Three years — almost had it.
- Krillin compliments Bulma's boobs.Bulma: I... you!
Bulma: (thinking) Just take the compliment.
- "Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah yeah."Krillin: So... that song...
Yamcha: I was desperate and needed the money. And no, it wasn't worth it.
- The good guys point out that the tiny island is covered in a dense city - what do they even do there? "Apparently, prostitution is legal."All: Oooooooooohhhhhhhh...
Piccolo: So, the prostitutes.
- Dr. Gero rips the engine out of a guy's car.
- Krillin's sex puns regarding Yamcha getting a hand through his chest.Krillin: Huh. Guess there's a new kind of fisting in this city.
Krillin: Yeah, I get ya. I never have any energy after a handjob either. BA-DA-BA-BA-DA-BYE!
- Android 19's analysis of why they know about the Androids:Android 19: Analyzing... processing, processing complete. They are psychic, probability... 92.4%. THEY CAN SEE THE FYOO-CHURR.
- Android 19 executes Murder.exe... and then crashes at 65% loading. And then asks Dr. Gero if he'd like to send an error report. Then does anyway when Dr. Gero says no.Dr. Gero: SON OF A WHORE! NOW TO WAIT FIVE MINUTES TO DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!
- The entire argument between Bulma and Vegeta after he gets her pregnant.Bulma: You said you were wearing protection!
Vegeta: I was wearing my armor!
Bulma: (scoff) You're a moron.
- The Credits Gag lists Brent Spiner as Android 19. It's a text to speech program they used.
- This bit comes up as Dr. Gero attempts to explain his backstory to Dr. Goku and the others. Dr. Gero's reaction after Goku speaks up is particularly amusing.Dr. Gero: But allow me to shed a little light for you. For the last 14 years ever since the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament...
Goku: Oh, I remember that one! I got hit by a car!
Dr. Gero: (completely serious) Indeed!
- This scene where Android 19 & Dr. Gero thinks that they killed everyone else in the city;Dr. Gero: But you are too late! The entire population of the city has been reduced to ash! Now no one shall interfere with my revenge!
(shows a shot of Yajirobe, Krillin, a restored Yamcha, Gohan, and Bulma holding baby Trunks watching the destruction of part of the city from the cliff)
Goku: Actually, I'm pretty sure you only—
Piccolo: (interrupting) Yes! The entire population!
- Throughout the entire episode, Goku mentions that his chest hurts, clearly referring to the fatal heart failure he will suffer. Why is this funny? His issue is his high cholesterol from eating too much bacon. Near the end of the episode, Goku mentions he ate all of his pocket bacon on the way to the battlefield.
- This:Krillin: Oh, hey Gohan. You've barely grown since the last time I saw you, huh?
Goku: It's funny! I think that every time I see you!
- The stoner skater. All of it. "Dude... are you holding?"
- The mechanical noises 19 and Dr. Gero make when they move give a nice touch.
- Tien's exasperation at Yamcha almost getting killed by the Androids. "Oh come on man! You couldn't last, like, 30 seconds!?"
- Earlier, Yamcha, hearing the screams, tries to convince himself that the others will be along shortly... only to realize that he has to check out the scene.Yamcha: Oh God, oh man, oh jeez, oh crap!
- And at the start of the episode, he's the one reading the disclaimer, which is usually read by someone who dies in the that episode. He's extremely savvy about the matter. Especially since he's reading it for the second episode in a row, what with how last episode revealed how his future self died.
- Earlier, Yamcha, hearing the screams, tries to convince himself that the others will be along shortly... only to realize that he has to check out the scene.
- Goku, trying to find the Androids, wonders, "If I were an android, where would I be?" before his train of thought becomes derailed. "Of course, if I were an android, it wouldn't change where I am, just what I am..."
- When Piccolo decides that the Z-fighters will have to search for the Androids in the city by hand, they all start complaining.
- Before the Z Fighters split up Goku has this to say:
- When the Androids are surprised that the Z-fighters know what they are:Dr. Gero: *whirr* What? Impossible! How did you know we were androids?
Android 19: Scanning probabilities. Scanning... Scanning... Analysing...
Piccolo: Could not tell you off the top of my head.
- Dr. Gero and 19 being described by the prostitute and Yamcha as "inconspicuous old man and mime."
- The final line:Dr. Gero: Oh, bollocks.
- Goku's incredibly cavalier response when Yajirobe's flying car gets shot down by the androids:Goku: Oh hey we've never wished him back before.
- Dr. Gero tries a Badass Boast, but eventually he gets fed up with Android 19 getting punched by Goku all the time:Dr. Gero: Oh for God's sake 19, throw a f**king punch!
- Even funnier are the constant "Ow"s coming from 19.
- Plus, right before it, his furious reaction when 19 has to activate another program just to be able to dodge.Dr. Gero: WHY IS DODGING A SUBROUTINE?! IT'S NOT THAT COMPLEX!!
- Whereupon, Piccolo just looks at Gohan, saying nothing.note Gohan: What? ...What?!
- He gets another good one when Vegeta goes Super Saiyan, showing just how far out of the loop he is.Dr. Gero: SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE F*CK IS NAMEK?!
- Goku started to take the heart medicine, but then he stopped because it was grape flavored.
- When someone needs a Senzu Bean (Goku for his heart attack, Piccolo wondering where his was when he faked getting injured, Yamcha after getting insulted by the entire group, and Android 19 getting Yamcha'd), Krillin throws a Senzu Bean at them.
- While Goku is downed due to a heart problem, he calls in for Piccolo to do a tag-in, only for Piccolo to be lasered by Dr. Gero, then Goku tries the same with Gohan, only for #19 to land right on top of Goku.
- Just as Goku is about to have his energy drained, we hear an endless, repeating string of "mine" from Vegeta coming in from miles away. And when he shows up:
- Piccolo: And the prodigal asshole returns!
- Yamcha volunteers to take Goku back to his house, also noting that he will just get in the way if he stays, to which everyone agrees.Tien: Yep.
Gohan: No offense.
Vegeta: Why are you even here?!
(beat over on Yamcha looking hurt)
Krillin: SENZU BEAN! (Throws a bean at Yamcha, hitting him on the cheek.)
Yamcha: You know what? Have fun. (Flies off with Goku over his shoulder.)
- Yamcha's last line implies that he KNOWS something will go wrong, and that the other Z-Fighters will not do any better than him, so we can say that the mess with 16, 17 and 18 in the following episodes is what Yamcha wished for his so-called friends.
- Vegeta boasting about how he became a Super Saiyan:Vegeta: (calmly) Oh, trust me. There's more than one way to realize the legend.
Vegeta: (tears streaming down his face) I wanna! I wanna be a Super Saiyan! I wanna! (pounding the ground like a spoiled child) IwannaIwannaIwannaIwannaIwanna—
(back in the present)
Vegeta: Pushups, situps and plenty of juice.
- This is also what Vegeta told Cell in the official dub when Cell asked how Vegeta became strong enough to not only go Super Saiyan, but survive fighting him.
- Android 19's quotes throughout the episode.Android 19: Beginning dodge protocol—ow!
- Dr. Gero's boasting after 19 finishes running murder.exe gives us this gem:
- And then Goku finds out the hard way that the Androids can drain energy from people (and energy beams):(Goku charges a kamehameha)
Dr. Gero: NINETEEN, WHAT ARE YOU IN SAFE MODE? START RESPONDING THIS INSTANT BEFORE I SHOVE MY BOOT UP YOUR ASS—
(Goku fires kamehameha)
Android #19: rebooting completed (absorbs kamehameha) Murder.EXE fully online.
Dr. Gero: Oh... bully!
- Goku and Vegeta's exchange after Vegeta saves his life.Goku: (weakly) Hey, Vegeta...
Vegeta: Kakarot, you idiot. What are you doing?
Goku: Dying... mostly. Little help?
(Vegeta kicks Goku in the general direction of Piccolo, who catches him)
Goku: Thanks, best buddy...
- Vegeta's reasoning for having a pure heart.Vegeta: My heart is pure. Pure, unadulterated badass.
- Android 19's poor attempt at trading insults with Vegeta.Vegeta: You expect to beat me with this Automa-Ton of Fun?
Android 19: Registering insult. Retort: You are short and your hairline is receding.
Vegeta: Ooohoohoohoohoo! Scathing.
- Dr. Gero's reaction to the first attack of Vegeta's countdown is simple yet priceless:Dr. Gero: Did I just see his foot?
Vegeta: Well, well, well...looks like I'm a size 19.
- After Vegeta finishes off 19 he turns to Dr. Gero still making badass one-liners... until he notices that the doctor is nowhere to be seen.Vegeta: THE FUCK DID HE GO?!
- After Goku gets laid out by 19 and loses so much energy that he reverts to normal form, Krillin makes a hilarious observation.Krillin: Did he just... knock the super saiyan out of him?
- It starts with a bridge from The Stinger of Episode 36:(Vegets gets a senzu bean)
Vegeta: When a goddamn Super Sayian asks you for a senzu bean, bald man, you say "How many?".
- Vegeta's thoughts on sensing energy.Vegeta: So just because he's a machine I can't feel his energy? That doesn't make any sense! Energy sensing's bullshit.
- And when he tries to tempt Dr. Gero into attacking him, he loses his patience very quickly.
- Hell, Vegeta's taunts in general.Vegeta: Hey, why ya hidin'? You scared 'cause I blew up your friend? I'd call it your sex-bot, but as you're currently demonstrating, you don't have any balls!
Vegeta: OLLY OLLY OXEN BITCH!
- Then later, after Dr. Gero is caught in the open.Vegeta: Look who finally installed a pair.
- When Dr. Gero tries to absorb Piccolo's energy, the Namekian tries to contact Gohan telepathically to get some help. His first few attempts don't go so well.
- First try:
- Second try:Tien: (thinking) ♪Cat loves food. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Cat love-♪
Piccolo: (thinking) Uhhh...
Tien: (out loud) You heard... nothing.
- Third try:Piccolo: Gohan, this old man's got me from behind. You have to—
George Takei: Oh myyy.
King Kai: Seriously, how do people keep getting on this line?
Piccolo: (muffled) GOOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!
- Piccolo making fun of the name of Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.Tien: Did you catch the name of his attack though?
Piccolo: I know, right? "Big Bang Attack"?
Nail: Uh, I dunno, this coming from Mr. "Special Beam Cannon"?
Piccolo: Hey, why don't you try coming up with a better name for an attack?
Nail: How about "Devil Drill Beam?"
Piccolo: What about "Spiral Death Beam"?
Nail: "Doom Laser"!
Piccolo: "Rail Beam"!
Nail: "Nail Gun"?
Piccolo: (out loud) Shit, that's good.
- Doubles as a fridge moment of funny when you realize the conversation sounds like this to everyone else.Tienn: Did you catch the name of his attack though?
Piccolo: I know, right? "Big Bang Attack"? (beat) Shit, that's good...
- Later in the episode:Piccolo: Alright, what about "Regicide Blaster"?
Nail: "Doomsday Crush"!
Piccolo: "Anarchy Barrage"!
Nail: "Taco Tuesday"!
Piccolo: "Hellzone Grenade"!
Piccolo: Screw you, I'm keeping that one.
- And in The Stinger...
- Though Nail's not very helpful when Gero sneaks up on Piccolo:Gero: Hello there!
Nail: I'm... gonna leave you two alone for now...
Piccolo: (muffled) NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!
- Doubles as a fridge moment of funny when you realize the conversation sounds like this to everyone else.
- Trunks is a few minutes behind the others when he learns his meddling with time has made things go south...
- Piccolo challenges Dr. Gero to a fight not long after getting his energy drained.Gero: Oh, please. As if you're in any condition to fight me.
Piccolo: Krillin? Senzu Bean.
Krillin: Senzu Bean?
Piccolo: Senzu Bean.
Krillin: SENZU BEAN!!!
- Deciding who gets to fight Gero:Vegeta: The old man is mine, Namekian.
Piccolo: I just figured you wouldn't want to sully your Super Saiyan hands on such a weak opponent...
Vegeta: You know, the funny thing is I know you're playing me, but you're right. He's all yours.
- When Dr. Gero begins to talk himself up after absorbing Piccolo's energy Piccolo's response is to immediately knee him hard enough to drive him halfway into a cliff face. Even Vegeta laughs at how unceremonious the ass-kicking is.
- Vegeta's brain locking up upon realizing Trunks is his son...Piccolo: Trunks? What are you doing here?!
Vegeta: HA! That's a girl's name!
Krillin: Wait, isn't that the name of your kid?
Vegeta: What, are you trying to imply that this wannabe Super Saiyan from the future is my saaaaaaaaaahhh...
Trunks: Well. Guess that cat's out of the bag...
- Even funnier because his BSOD is audible through a few bits of dialogue as well.
- Immediately afterward when Trunks sees Dr. Gero.
- Vegeta begins to question why they should have been so worried about Android 19 and Doctor Gero, when they're not turning out to be that much of a threat mostly because they aren't the Androids Future Trunks was warning them about.Vegeta: Anyone else starting to think we overtrained for this?
Krillin: Tell me about it-
Vegeta: NO, SHUT UP!!!
- Just as Dr. Gero appears from the smoke and is about to attack Piccolo, we get this:Gohan: MISTER PICCOLOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooh nevermind.
- Gohan saves Piccolo from Dr. Gero:Piccolo: Gohan how did you
Gohan: You two were hanging in the middle of the air, how could I not see you?
Piccolo: Don't you sass me
- After Gero gets karate-chopped into the ground by Piccolo.Dr. Gero: OK, first: What?! Second: The f*ck?!
- And after that, there's this exchange.
- Gero grabbing Piccolo. Doubles as a Squick moment.Dr. Gero: Shhhhhh! Oh, don't struggle. Just lie back and think of Namek.
- And prior to this, Gero is looking for an escape route, only to find a fighter at every possibility. His reaction upon seeing Krillin?Dr. Gero: Why the hell is he even here!?
- And prior to this, Gero is looking for an escape route, only to find a fighter at every possibility. His reaction upon seeing Krillin?
- The back-and-forth argument on the Androids Trunks came to warn us about and the ones the Z fighters are dealing with;Trunks: Seriously, what is that?
Piccolo: That's the android.
Trunks: No it's not.
Piccolo: Yes it is.
Trunks: No, it's not!
Dr. Gero: Yes I am.
Trunks: You stay out of this!
- Bit later;Vegeta: Why didn't you tell us what they looked like, then!?
Trunks: I only ever met the two!
Vegeta: Well, look at that, so did we!
- Bit later;
- Bulma and Yajirobe traveling to the scene of the battle with Baby Trunks:Yajirobe: There's a long list of bad ideas and this is at the top. You know that right?
Bulma: I absolutely refuse to sit around and not be part of the action any more. Did you know I never even saw Freeza? Not once?
Yajirobe: I'm pretty sure no one ever complained about not meeting Hitler. I mean, some people do, but they're weird.
Bulma: This isn't up for debate.
Yajirobe: You do know your kid is in the plane, right?!
Bulma: Oh, he doesn't know what's going on.
Yajirobe: I'm pretty sure that's not the point! Also, he keeps trying to feed off me.
Bulma: Don't worry, he'll give it up when he realizes that it's a dry well.
Yajirobe: Yeah, about that. Have you seen what an all Senzu Bean diet does to a man?
Yajirobe: Korin likes it.
- Dr. Gero's idea of installing pain receptors comes back to bite him in the rear.Dr. Gero: Don't you criticize my methods like you understand the neural system! Pain is imperative to recognize when you are in peril. To give the human mind con- *Piccolo chops off Gero's forearm* TEEEEEEXT!
Piccolo: So contextually speaking... *crushes Gero's arm* how f***ed are you?
- After chopping off Gero's forearm, we get this:Dr. Gero: You lime-colored son of a bitch! It's going to take me at least 2 hours to program a new hand! No, wait, I'm right handed! 3 HOURS!
- In the opening, after it's revealed that Trunks saved Bulma and his younger self from the explosion:Bulma: (relieved) Oh wow, pretty sure I was about to be a wish there. Oh God the baby! (Takes Baby Trunks from Future Trunks) There you are. Aw, don't worry, Trunkie, it was just an explosion. You'll get used to those, those happen a lot around mommy.
Future Trunks: I coulda sworn I saw someone else in the car with you.
(we cut to Yajirobe stuck under a pile of rocks)
Yajirobe: "Hey, Yajirobe." What is it, Korin? "Why don't you go help out the gang?" Oh sure, Korin, why not?! What's the worst that could happen?!
Tiny rock falls and nails him in the face before crumbling into pebbles.
Yajirobe: I've got a rock up my butt.
- When Vegeta is looking for Dr. Gero, he continues to spit out the robot puns.Vegeta: Oh, you've gotta be kidding me! He got away again?! And not a nut or bolt to be found! Not that you had any nuts to begin with!
- Vegeta (pretends he) thinks marriage is some kind of food.
- Which doubles as a Mythology Gag to when Goku confused the two together.Vegeta: Who doesn't know what marriage is?
- Which doubles as a Mythology Gag to when Goku confused the two together.
- When Dr. Gero enters his lab, the Mac startup sound plays.
- This gem from when 18 discovers Android 16's pod.Dr. Gero: Do not activate Android 16! He isn't properly programmed!
Android 17: Oh and how many of us are? [suddenly adopting a southern accent, as banjo music plays] Howdy folks, I'm Android 13. Look at mah trucker 'at.
Dr. Gero: I was going through a phase!
- What Bulma says after discovering who Trunks is, and she remembers what she did when she first met him. You'll likely laugh exactly at the same time Krillin does.Bulma: Wait, "dad"?
Piccolo: Yeah, by the way, that kid's your son. No harm telling you now, damage already done.
Bulma: Oh, wow, he grows up to be a cutie! And-*the realization hits her*-Oh my God, I solicited my son for sex.
Krillin bursts into laughter
Bulma: WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!
Krillin: Because it's hilarious!
Piccolo: You just learned about it.
Krillin: And it is hilarious.
- Vegeta brings up the lack of details about the androids they were supposed to be training for.Vegeta: How about next time you come back to give someone a heads-up, you give them a goddamn photo?!
- And then when he sees 17 and 18:Vegeta: Wow, you are just the Grand Central Station of disappointment, aren't you.
- Followed shortly by the heroes finding out about Android 16:Vegeta: So I'm pretty sure that's that's three androids you've missed? Do I hear four?
- And then when he sees 17 and 18:
- Bulma revealing that all scientists know the location of every other scientist's lab, including the secret ones, a fact that Dr. Gero remembers too late.Dr. Gero sees the Z Warriors flying past him towards his secret lab.
Dr. Gero: That's funny, they're all flying right towards my-OH, FIND ME IN THE ALPS! No... There's no way they could have secured the location of my secret lab. Unless they know a scientist, like Wheelo or Frappe. Or any of the Brief--SHIT!
- Android 17, when he's awakening, uses Robo Speak to mess with Dr. Gero. When 18 awakens, she does the same thing, only to learn 17 beat her to it.Android 18: Ugh, you dick! We were supposed to do that together!
Android 17: <with a smile> I know, but I couldn't help myself.
Android 18: Whatever. <turns to Dr. Gero>
- When Androids 17 and 18 find Android 16:Android 18: Oh, what's this? Your secret project?
Dr. Gero: No, he's in the base-I MEAN, YES! Very secret! DON'T TOUCH!
- Immediately after that, when Android 18 gets a better picture of 16 through the glass:
- Now that Yamcha has been Put on a Bus, the Krillin Owned Counter is back with a vengeance.
- Dr. Gero doesn't know how he took out his own brain and put it into an android body.Android 17: Whoa, slow down. Are you an Android? Holy shit, you're an Android! How did you even do that?
Dr. Gero: I took my brain out and put it into this body.
Android 18: ...How?
Dr. Gero: I... huh, how did I do that?note
- Piccolo and Tien try to punch down the door to Dr. Gero's lab...only to injure their wrists.
- Then Krillin suggests that they charge down the door with their shoulders...and Tien injures his shoulder.
- And then Vegeta's grouchiness leading to him basically just bickering with Trunks on principle regardless of what he's actually saying.Trunks: Wait! We can't do this without Goku!
Vegeta: Why?! It's a goddamn door!
- And then Vegeta's grouchiness leading to him basically just bickering with Trunks on principle regardless of what he's actually saying.
- Then Krillin suggests that they charge down the door with their shoulders...and Tien injures his shoulder.
- After Gohan decides to go back and see what Goku was doing
only for Bulma, her baby and Yajirobe taking a lift.Piccolo: Stop worrying Gohan, I'm sure Goku's fine. *Cut to Goku writhing in pain while "Don't Worry! Be Happy." plays*
- Dr. Gero explaining to 17 and 18 why he's been forced to activate them.Dr. Gero: After a bit of an...incident earlier today, I lost Android 19. And my ar-
Android 18: Wait a sec. You built another Android?
Android 17: Wait, wait, wait. Was it that fat clown thing? I thought that was a joke!
Android 18: Well, clearly it was. It's dead.
- Dr. Gero has just been decapitated by 17. His final words? After a brief shot at Krillin?
- Trunks making a lot of assumptions in this episode: one that Vegeta loves Bulma, and the other is that everyone else is friends with Vegeta.
- Krillin falls for Dr. Gero's trick and hums patiently to himself outside Dr. Gero's lab, only to realize that the thing Dr. Gero plans to show him are the Androids.Dr. Gero: I literally can't believe that worked.
- When the heroes reach the mountains where Dr. Gero's secret lab is located:Piccolo: We've got a lot of ground to cover.
Krillin: Please don't say what I think you're going to say.
Piccolo: We should probably—
Krillin: Here it comes!
Piccolo: —stick together for safety.
Krillin: Oh. Thank our green god in the Lookout—
Tien: I don't know. Probably cover more ground if we split up.
Krillin: YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
Piccolo: Nah, he's got a good point.
Krillin: Ah, green god damn it!
- Later, while Krillin is looking for Dr. Gero:Krillin: Why am I so scared, anyway? There are like sextillion mountains around here. The chances of me running into him are—
(Dr. Gero ambushes and curbstomps Krillin)
Dr. Gero: 540,000 to 1. Lucky you. Ta-ta.
(Dr. Gero flees while Krillin moans in pain; the Krillin Owned Count reaches 30)
- Later, while Krillin is looking for Dr. Gero:
- The Stinger where Gohan advises Bulma to give Trunks to Yajirobe for safety.
- A bit easy to miss, but if you pay attention, when Bulma is explaining who Dr. Gero is, she describes him as being "adequate with robotics." On the one hand, he created machines and cyborgs capable of going toe-to-toe with some of the most powerful beings in the galaxy. On the other... considering how Android 19, Android 16, Android 15, Android 14, and Android 13 behave, and how cooperative Android 17 and Android 18 are, "adequate" is where the claim averages out.
- Chi-Chi reads the disclaimer...with Goku screaming throughout.
- Vegeta's line as he approaches the Androids for a fight:
- Android 18 takes her Deadpan Snarker attitude to Troll levels throughout her fight with Vegeta.
- When 18 smacks Vegeta into a mountainside:Vegeta: I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT EASY ON YOU ANYMO—(gets slapped right into a mountain)
[Enter Trunks, Piccolo, Krillin and Tien]
Trunks: Father! Are you in there?
Vegeta: (slurred) Did anyone get the number of that bitch?
Vegeta: (slurred) Thank you.
Krillin: You okay in there, Vegeta?
Vegeta: (slurred) Eat a dick!
Krillin: Oh, okay; he's fine.
- Android 17 wants to steal a truck...Seventeen: Okay, here's the plan: first car that arrives, we...appropriate.
Eighteen: (scoff) And all the way out in the boonies. It's probably gonna be a semi.
Seventeen: (hopeful gasp) Oh, I hope it's a truck! What do you think, Sixteen?
Sixteen: Will it assist us in murdering Son Goku?
Seventeen: I dunno; I guess you could hit him pretty hard him with it...
Sixteen: Then I, too, hope it is a truck.
- And when one finally arrives...17: Aw, yeah! A tru—
(Vegeta fires a blast at 18, who jumps out of the way of it; the truck is destroyed)
17: (shocked face) Aw... (eyes narrow) dick!
- And when one finally arrives...
- After Vegeta calls 18 a cunt, everyone is sent into a shocked silence. Including 17. And 18's response?
- Trunks' failed attempt to stop Vegeta from fighting 18.Trunks: There's no way we can fight them without Goku!
Vegeta: I wish you'd understand who you're talking to! I AM VEGETA! Why would I ever need that gibbering fool's help?!
Trunks: Because you're not as strong as—
Vegeta angrily punches Trunks in the gut and flies off
Krillin: You pushed the Goku Button. You shouldn't'a did that!
- Android 16's incredibly one track mind concerning killing Goku. So much that a mere mention of him is enough to catch his attention over anything. 17's the one to actually get him into his bird-watching hobby just to shut him up.
- When they first boot 16 up, the system tries to install some updates. 18 kicks the top of the pod off to skip it.
- Android 17: Man...we need to get you a hobby.
Android 16: Acquiring hobby...
(Android 16 sees a bird on a nearby mountain)
Android 16: (smiles) Hmmm...
- When the commotion from Android 18 and Vegeta's fight causes the bird to fly away:Android 16: (disappointed) Awwww...
- When the commotion from Android 18 and Vegeta's fight causes the bird to fly away:
- Trunks frets over Vegeta taking on the androids, who he considers the Earth's greatest threat. Cut to Vegeta knocking at least three cars off the road while trying to hit 18."I WILL KILL AS MANY PEOPLE AS I HAVE TO, AS LONG AS YOU ARE ONE OF THEM!"
- Vegeta's most legendary line, next to "over 9000", as brought to you by Team Four Star.
- Android 17 warns the other Z Fighters not to interfere in 18's fight against Super Vegeta.Android 17: You two seem like you're having fun, so I'd hate to interrupt, but if any of you decide to jump in and help MC Widow's Peak over there, I will personally introduce you to the ground. And trust me, your relationship will be intimate.
Piccolo: Yeah, not exactly in a rush to help Vegeta. I mean, maybe if it were Goku—
Android 16: Did he say Goku?
Android 17: Calm down Sixteen, he's not here.
Android 16: But I heard him mention Goku...
Android 17: Just focus on your birds, buddy.
Android 16: Acquiring birds... (mechanical whirring)
Android 17: He likes birds now.
Vegeta: Can we stop talking about Kakarot for just a minute?! I mean, for god's sake, he's never even around!
Piccolo: sad thing is, he's not exactly wrong
- When Vegeta and 18 land on top a truck:Truckdriver #1: Well, you ain't gonna believe this: a couple o' Europeans are fightin' on top of the truck!
Truckdriver #2: Huh, that is weird... You know what else is weird?
Truckdriver #1: Ah dammit, Mitch, put that away!
- Black Comedy it is, but Goku screaming every time he appears in this episode. From the beginning when Chi-Chi reads the disclaimer, to The Stinger where Yamcha is trying to see how long Goku can scream without breathing.
- At Goku's home, Goku won't stop screaming as Yamcha tries to care for him and Chi-Chi, well...Goku: (sustained screaming in pain)
Yamcha: Uh, Chi-Chi? You might wanna come in here...
Chi-Chi: (from the kitchen) Sorry, hun; cooking up a storm in here!
Yamcha: This is looking kind of bad... he's screaming up a lot of blood...
Chi-Chi: I'll make sure there's plenty of iron and protein in the meal!
Yamcha: And I can't really remember the last time he inhaled; and while that's sort of impressive, I don't think it's healthy. Goku doesn't have a ton of brain cells to work with as it is...
Chi-Chi: Look, to be honest, it's just nice to have him in the house for a change.
Goku: (stops screaming, takes a deep breath)
Yamcha: Oh, good, he took a—
Goku: (resumes sustained screaming in pain)
- At Goku's home, Goku won't stop screaming as Yamcha tries to care for him and Chi-Chi, well...
- The beginning of the episode has Android 17 casually walk away from the Z fighters after killing Dr. Gero, leading Krillin to wonder if the androids are really enemies. Trunks then goes Super Saiyan and blows up the lab.Krillin: Welp, that settles that! You're definitely Vegeta's kid!
Vegeta: So, are you done throwing a hissy fit?
Trunks: Well at least I did something instead of just standing there staring at them!
Krillin: We do do that a lot.
- Then, when it turns out the androids survived:
- Android 18's Pre-Asskicking One-Liner.Vegeta: So, ladies first, then? Well, just to warn you...I'm not afraid to hit a woman.
18: That's fine! Neither am I.
- Krillin's reactions when the Z Fighters decide to fight the androids make it clear he's acting as the Only Sane Man of the party.
Krillin: Okay, Trunks can handle this. I mean that sword cut Freeza in half-
- Trunks charges at 18 after Vegeta's arm is broken.
Krillin: (high pitched, distressed voice) Oh, NO...
- Trunks' sword shatters against 18's arm...
Krillin: Okay, we need a plan! We need to-
- 17 rushes in and clocks Trunks from behind...
Krillin: RUN AWAY, OH MY GOD!
- Tien and Piccolo rush in...
- Nail wonderfully sums up the situation for Piccolo once the latter regains consciousness.Nail: Hey, uh, you ok down there?
Piccolo: Urgh, yeah what did I miss?
Nail: Well, both the Saiyans are down, one of the bald guys is getting choked out, and the other one is quacking.
- Speaking of which, after Krillin pulls the space duck maneuver on Android 16, we get a look into how 16 sees him.Subject: Krillin
Status: Goku... NEGATIVE
- Even better, the binary in that scene translates to Kill Son Goku. Feed birds.
- And then we get this amazing Call-BackAndroid 16: (To a bird that landed on his arm) Hello bird. What is your name? (Bird tweets) Toriyama? (Toriyama tweets again) I would love to see your dinosaur. (Toriyama tweets one more time) It does what?! Explanation
- Speaking of which, after Krillin pulls the space duck maneuver on Android 16, we get a look into how 16 sees him.
- Karma isn't done kicking Vegeta's ass
Eighteen: Eyy, so, who's got two broken arms and is a total bitch?
Vegeta: You stupid bint! You only broke one of my a—
(Eighteen steps on his good arm, breaking it)
Vegeta: (high-pitched squeal of abject pain)
Eighteen: This guy~!
- This comes right on the heels of Vegeta asking himself "Why do I yell things?"
- Androids 17 and 18 are having a sibling spat, when Krillin lets out "Um", immediately drawing the attention of both after having laid low.Krillin: Why do I do things?
- After Krillin makes a stand against the Androids not killing Goku and 18 declares him cute before pecking him on the cheek and walking away with the other two Androids. Makes a good setup for their future relationship. His stammering after the kiss is attributed to "Infatuated as Fuck" in the "English (Canada)" subtitles.Android 17: The hell was that? You got a thing for dwarves now?
Android 18: What if I do? Societal definitions of beauty are BS anyway.
Android 17: Look, if this is about pissing off Mom and Dad, you could just date a black guy.
Android 18: Oh my god.
Android 17: Oh, right, they're dead.
Android 18: Oh my god.
- And then, Krillin tries to brag about Eighteen kissing him. The keyword being tries.
- Krillin's attempts to make the Androids stand down are hilarious in and of themselves.Krillin: Okay, now listen. I believe that if we were to come to blows, I would, ah come up short. No pun intended.
Android 18: Heh, he's funny.
Android 17: Roll it back, pint-size. We're not gonna fight you. You're about about as threatening as a cocker spaniel.
Krillin: You bring up a fantastic point, so I shall continue to stand here and do nothing.
Android 18: Sounds good. We're gonna go kill Goku.
Krillin: (sputters) Aw, damn it, you can't kill Goku.
Android 17: Yeah, pretty sure we can.
Krillin: Okay, but you... shouldn't.
Android 16: He makes a fair point. But I insist we still kill Son Goku. On the grounds that I want to.
Android 17: Well, you heard the mandroid. Hands are tied.
- Krillin wondering why he is running out of Senzu Beans. Funnier when you realize that Krillin was spending most of the previous episodes wasting them like crazy.Krillin: Huh? The hell happened, I had like fifteen of these!
- When Trunks finds out that he was way too out of information about the past.Trunks: Mom said that he was stubborn. But this is just asinine.
Piccolo: Yeah. But at least he's not trying to kill us all again.
Trunks: HE TRIED TO WHAT!?
Krillin: Jesus, future Bulma, what the shit!?
- And later, when Trunks tells the gang that the androids are even stronger than those in his timeline.Piccolo: What!?
Tien: ARE YOU KIDDING!?
Krillin: Jesus, future Trunks, what the shit!?
- And later, when Trunks tells the gang that the androids are even stronger than those in his timeline.
- The return of Piccolo's Clothing Beam, when he gets his weighted gear back right as he crests Kami's place.
- Krillin teases Piccolo about Super Namekians not existing.Piccolo: OH MY OTHER ME, SHUT UP! (Launches an energy blast that Krillin, Tien and Trunks barely dodge and flys off) You can all kiss the greenest part of my ass!
Tien: ...there are greener parts of his ass?
- Immediately afterwards:Nail: So uh, gonna tell me what that was all about?
Piccolo: Look, just...you might be getting a new roommate.
Nail: Do I have to move the pool table?
Piccolo: When did you get a...; I almost fell for that.
(billiard balls clacking together are heard)
Nail: Fell for what?
- And when Piccolo finally does reach Kami, his proposition for them to fuse is this:Piccolo: I'm here for your body.
Nail: Heh, could at least take him out to dinner first.
Piccolo: First off: we don't eat. Second: shut up.
Kami: And what makes you think I'm just going to give it up that easy?
- Immediately afterwards:
- Popo sums up the impending threat of Cell with four simple words.Mr. Popo: Well, that's f***ing ominous!!!
- Popo isn't quite acting like the normal ominous Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant we normally see him as
note Piccolo: (trying to be polite) Hello, Mr. Popo—
Mr. Popo: HELLO, YOUNG KAMI.
Kami: Ah, hello, Piccolo. Good to see you again—
Piccolo: Cut the crap, Kami! You know what I'm here for!
Kami: well that didn't last long.
Popo: (staring at the floor) All these squares make a circle, all these squares make a circle, all these squares make a circle
Piccolo: Okay, what's up with him?
Kami: Don't mind him; he just got through dropping a gallon of LSD.
Piccolo: A gallon?!
Kami: A literal gallon. Out of a milk jug. I don't even know where he got it from; he never leaves the—
Popo: KAMI? I NEED YOU TO TELL ME... THAT I CAN LEAVE THE LOOKOUT IF I WANT TO.
Kami: Mr. Popo, you may leave the lookout if you—
Popo: BITCH, DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
Popo: All these squares make a circle...
- Taken to its logical extreme during their Anniversary Stream, when the scene came up and Lani asked the entire chat to repeat "All these squares make a circle" ad nauseum. They obliged.
- More Lampshade Hanging over Mrs. Briefs:
- The Stinger between Yajirobe and Korrin, arguing Like an Old Married Couple.
- Mrs. Briefs meets Yajirobe.Yajirobe: I am Yajirobe and I am here for your pantry.
Mrs. Briefs: I see. Honey, we have a food stamper!
Dr. Briefs: (from offscreen) Tell him I have a gun because I pay taxes!
Yajirobe: Challenge accepted.
- We get this bit as Piccolo is flying up to the lookout:Korin: (sees Piccolo flying upwards) Hey Piccolo have you seen Yajirobe? He hasn't called or- (Piccolo flies past him) texted. Ah, damn it.
- The two food truck drivers getting coffee while one attempts small talk.Chuck: So how are the wife and kids, Jones?
Jones: Still dead, Chuck. Been four months.
Chuck: Oh. I'm terrible at small talk.
Jones: Yes, you are.
- The name of the truck the androids steal? "Lucky Foods". 17 points this out and because of the name he originally didn't want to steal it.
- Piccolo and Kami's scene consists of them doing nothing but grunting at each other. Then:Nail: Oh, just fuse already!
- And Popo is coming down from his massive LSD high from the previous episode.
- 17 and 16's conversation when 18 tells them she wants to go shopping before killing Goku.17: Tsk, women. Am I right, 16?
16: Confirmed: She is female.
17: Hah, she is.
- Bulma and Trunks's awkward, pause-filled conversation. The awkward pause is then broken by a gunshot in the background.Yajirobe: Ya missed me, four-eyes!
Dr. Briefs: That was a warning shot, fatass! Now put down the fridge.
Yajirobe: Vive la honey baked ham!
- After Krillin and Trunks land at Goku's house, Krillin stops Trunks to ask him something important.Krillin: Wait, before we go in, uh I wanted to ask you ever think that, uh, Android 18 is kind of cute?
(loooooooooong pause while Trunks stares at Krillin)
Krillin: All right then, dibs by the way.
- In the History of Trunks Android 18 calls dibs on killing Trunks leading to 17 friendly firing on her. Looks like another thing Krillin and 18 have in common.
- Yamcha greets Krillin and Trunks:Trunks: Oh, uh, Yamcha, right? How's it hang— I mean, how you doing?
Yamcha: Oh you know, hanging in there.
(Trunks lets out an exasperated sigh)
- While Krillin and Yamcha are busy evacuating Goku and his family to Kamehouse (despite that being literally the second place the Androids will look for him), Yamcha asks Krillin a question.
- To prove that he still has the time machine with him, Trunks activates its capsule
while he's on the plane carrying Goku. Hilarity Ensues.(Goku starts screaming again)
Yamcha: Oh good, that's back.
- During an explanation from Trunks as to how time travel works, Gohan casually reveals that he's been studying theoretical physicsnote . Chi-Chi tells him that they'll soon be moving onto cellular biology.
- Gohan explaining all this while the screen shows a chalkboard.
- Oolong's reaction to finding out that Chiaotzu put pork in his ramen:Oolong: I'm delicious.
- A Brick Joke to the Cooler movie that Krillin was asked the same question. The difference was that Chiaotzu dragged the word longer and failed to think of another word in time.
- Krillin warns Trunks about Chi-Chi.
- Android 16 climbing into the back of a truck and calling out "Shotgun". Just the way he says it makes it sound like he's having as much fun as his fellow androids hijacking a truck and (later) resisting arrest.#16: You cannot sit in the back. I have called "Shotgun."
- When they say they'll take the van, Sixteen picks it up. It takes some coaxing from Seventeen that that wasn't what he meant.
- Gohan finally returns home while Chi-Chi, Krillin, Trunks, and Yamcha are busy carrying Goku onto the airship to get to Kame House. What happens?Chi-Chi: (as Gohan lands) GOHAAAN!
Gohan: (deadpan, to self) Oh, good...
Chi-Chi: Oh, I swear I am never letting you get away from me again. We're getting that GPS tracking chip installed in your neck by the end of the week!
Gohan: Uh... little help?
- Tien's rather ominous way of picking up Chiaotzu from Kame House, but mainly the reaction when he wants to train again.Chiaotzu: But Tien, the doctor said if your shoulders get any bigger—
Tien: (darkly) That's why we don't see him anymore.
- Roshi after learning the others got defeated by The Androids makes plans to buy a submarine. For those who don't get it, in Trunks' timeline Roshi, Oolong, Puar, and Turtle are in hiding in a submarine under water.
- Becomes even more Brick Joke for The History of Trunks Abridged when Oolong tells Roshi he can't name it after his junk, only for Roshi to ultimately christen it the USS M'Dick.
- After Trunk's and Gohan's explanation on time travel, Yamcha asks Trunks why he even bothered to come back if it doesn't affect his world. He answers that not only did he want at least one timeline free from the Androids, but his mother only told him about the whole parallel timeline thing AFTER he had made his first trip. Krillin's response is as HILARIOUS as it is messed up.Krillin: (singsong) And then she tried to BANG you!
- Bulma faxing over the picture of Cell's time machine.Krillin: You have a fax machine?
Trunks: What's a fax machine?
Krillin: See, that one makes sense.note
- It turns out in Trunks's timeline country music no longer exists. The Stinger reveals why: The "Cat Loves Food" Country Music version, sung by Christopher Sabat, prompting the Androids to apparently destroy country music as a genre.
- As 18 drives off with her new outfit without paying for it:
- Beforehand, Android 18 looking at herself in the mirror.Store Owner: This is our top of the line. How do ya like it?
Android 18: Like's a strong word. So's tolerate. Hate is actually looking a little weak right now.
- Trunks and Gohan have a conversation about the future.Gohan: (to Trunks) If you don't mind me asking, you know me in the future, right?
Trunks: Yeah. Actually, you were my mentor.
Gohan: Oh, wow. What's adult me like?
Trunks: Well, I suppose you take a lot after your father.
Gohan: In what regard?
Trunks: You're the strongest, bravest warrior on the planet.
Gohan: Okay, good. By the way, why do you keep staring at my arm?
Trunks: Oh, uh... hey, what's that?!
- Meanwhile, back at Kame House, Turtle notices Goku is sweating purple, and we find out why he doesn't like grapes.Roshi: Did he eat grapes?
Turtle: I...don't know...
Roshi: Boy can't handle his grapes.
- The awkwardness between Trunks and Bulma when they meet in person at the time machine as well as Gohan's playing detective.Gohan: Ooh, a mystery! I never get to solve mysteries! Like Sherlock Holmes, or Batman! Usually we're just busy fighting people. Like Bruce Lee, or Batman.
- This bit after Trunks finds out the moss-covered ship is the same as his.Trunks: Oh. crapbaskets...
Gohan: Oh, you say that too.
- Upon seeing (what looks like) a large molted cicada, Trunks feels inside of it, and is mortified when he gets gunk on his hand. He spends the next half a minute or so freaking out about it offscreen while Gohan inspects the molt more closely.Trunks: Ohhh no. Oh, really wish I hadn't! It's all over my hand! Oh god, it's sticky! And now it's starting to harden! Oh no!
- Bulma manipulates the halves of the egg shell, causing Pac-Man-like sound effects.
- Then when Gohan suggests that the thing that molted it could still be nearby, Bulma reacts thusly:
- Immediately after, and following Trunks having touched the inside of the molt.Trunks: Long shot, but you wouldn't happen to carry hand sanitizer on you would you?
Gohan: D-do you not?
- As Bulma's flying back, she's still grossed out by the whole thing...
- Piccolo's Insistent Terminology:Piccolo: I have been sitting here, meditating—
Piccolo: Meditating for the past...uh...
Mr. Popo: THREE... HOURS?
Piccolo: Thank you, Mr. Popo. Three hours!
- When Kami reveals that he'd rather let the world be destroyed than be in the same body as Piccolo again:Nail: (sincerely upset) Mom? Dad? Please stop fighting.
- Piccolo and Kami's fusion brings about Call Backs to his fusion with Nail.Kami: I'm sure you're already familiar with the technique.
Piccolo: Right. (places hand on Kami)
Kami: Alright now... Lower.
Piccolo: Yeah, not falling for that.
Kami: Hmph, I didn't think so.
(Kami fades out as he fuses with Piccolo, causing a brilliant light)
Mr. Popo: OH MY GOD I'M COMING DOOOOOOOOOOWN!
- After the fusion is complete:Mr. Popo: Woo, that was crazy. So, did you actually eat Kami or was that the acid?
Piccolo: So this is who we were, huh?
Piccolo: Hello? Got reeeeeeal quiet. Holy crap, are they finally—
Piccolo: Ugh, of course not.
Nail: Isn't this the part where you chant to yourself?
Piccolo: Shut up.
Kami: Come now, we should do whatever feels right.
Piccolo: Oh please no!
Nail and Kami: You can win! You feel great! You can do this!
- Once Piccolo leaves:Mr. Popo: Well, only one thing to do...
(zoom out on the lookout as it starts bouncing up and down to the beat of "Turn Down For What" while fireworks go off in the background)
- Not long after Kami fuses with Piccolo and the latter leaves the lookout, we get this bit with Korin:Korin: (as Piccolo is flying down) Hey Piccolo, could you pick up Yajirobe? He doesn't have a— (Piccolo flies past him) Ah crap! Well I know someone who's not getting invited to Sunday brunch! Oh, who am I kidding? We both like him...
- After the fusion is complete:
- While watching news coverage of the mysterious assailant who abducts people, leaving behind only their clothes, Trunks remarks that this couldn't be the work of the Androids.Krillin: Not unless they're starting the world's first mandatory nudist colony.
- Cell makes his first appearance while, of all things, singing "Mr. Sandman". Both funny and creepy.
- One of the newscasters blames this disaster on the fact that they elected a dog as king. He even prefaces it by saying he doesn't want to sound racist.
- Krillin talks to Master Roshi, Yamcha, and Oolong about the Androids, which eventually leads to Master Roshi asking how hot 18 is.Master Roshi: ...Speaking of fruit, what are we talking here: apples, oranges, melons?
Krillin: Is that really important?
Master Roshi: Yes!
- While Piccolo is investigating the almost deathly silent town, Nail and Kami are interjecting which leads to this:Piccolo: Could you both just shut up for like, a minute?
Nail: Oh yeah, wouldn't wanna distract ya. Might get hit by one of these abandoned cars!
Kami: I've always wanted to drive a car, but by the time they were invented, my eyes weren't so good for it anymore. Piccolo, you've driven a car, right? How was it?
- Right before that exchange:Nail: [once Piccolo lands in the empty city of Gingertown] Well this is classic. The moment God disappears, the rapture happens!
Kami: Yes, the irony is not lost on me.
- Right before that exchange:
- The preview has this rapid gem:Piccolo: What the hell's going on here?
Cell: (laughs) Let's answer your question... with another question.
Piccolo: Yeah? And what's tha—
Cell: (while totally channelling Nappa) WANNA SEE ME DRINK THIS GUY?! (stabs tail into screaming man)
- Not long after that, we get this:(as Cell is drinking the screaming man)
Nail: Oh, oh god, I think I'm gonna puke!
Piccolo: You can't puke! You're in my—
(sounds of puking can be heard)
Kami: Oh good lord, it's everywhere!
- And after that:Cell: So, Piccolo... what brings you to my neighborhood?
Piccolo: I sensed a disturbance...
Cell: Well I am pretty disturbing! Remember that time I drank that guy? That was f**king weird.
- Not long after that, we get this:
- Immediately following that:
- After Piccolo calls Cell a monster.Cell: Oh, "I'm a monster!". Haven't heard that one screamed at me today. Of all people— (Coughs up a baby's pacifier) ...Oh that is just embarrassing! It's not even the right hole.
- The various comments made during Cell and Piccolo's fight.Cell: (about Piccolo) Okay, so, he's faster than me. That could be a slight pain in the ass, but... (gets kicked from behind) Ow, my ass-butt!
- This bit after Piccolo spin kicks Cell.Kami: Did you just spin kick him?
Piccolo: I know right? I've always wanted to do that!
Nail: Please don't do it again.
Piccolo: My body, my rules! (whiffs his spin kick) Damn it!
- Cell preparing a rather familiar technique of Piccolo's:Piccolo: What is he doing?
Kami: That looks like your technique.
Piccolo: Well it's not!
Nail: He's doing the finger thing...
Piccolo: So? Goku does that when he telepor—
Cell: Makankōsappō!! (fires the Special Beam Cannon)
Piccolo: Oh crap.
Kami: So that's how you pronounce it...
- After Piccolo passes by him.Cell: (thinking to himself rapidly) He's gonna kick me again, isn't he? (after picking himself up from the rubble) Alright, I'm gonna need you to do me a solid and not kick me anymore!
- This bit as Cell prepares yet another familiar technique:Piccolo: No! That's impossible! The only one who knows that technique is Goku! And Gohan... and Master Roshi... and Krillin... and Yamcha... and me that one time I tried it just to see if I could— (interrupted by Cell firing the Kamehameha)
- This bit after Piccolo spin kicks Cell.
- Meanwhile, back with the other Androids, whose van has broken down...Android 18: Hey 16, how's that tranny coming along?
Android 16: I do not believe the car identifies as either male or female.
(18 and 17 go back to their conversation after a beat, until 16 makes a realization)
Android 16: Wait, did you mean the transmission? Because it's fixed. (cranks the motor)
- After Cell drinks up Piccolo's left arm and the arm is now all shriveled up.Cell: Oh god, you're even starting to look like Kami!
Cell: You sure you don't want me to do the other arm? Even you out? Cause that's just distracting.
- When everyone else detects the fight...Gohan: Huh? Why does it feel like my dad is fighting Mr. Piccolo? And Vegeta is fighting Mr. Piccolo. And Mr. Piccolo...is fighting Mr. Piccolo.
Krillin: That's weird. It even feels like I'm out there.
Gohan: It feels like everyone we know is fighting Mr. Piccolo.
Krillin: Except for Yamcha.
Yamcha: Well, duh. That's because I'm right here.
Krillin: (beat) Yeah. That's gotta be it.
- Piccolo bows out of the fight?Piccolo: Listen, I've obviously lost this fight. Without my arm, I'm finished.
Nail: Wait, can't you regrow your ar—
Kami: Shut up Nail, he's doing a thing!
- After Piccolo manages to trick Cell into explaining who or what he is, and Cell reveals he is the final project of Doctor Gero/Android 20.Cell: I am purely bio-mechanical! Unlike my brother and sister, Cyborg 17 and 18.
Piccolo: We call them Androids.
Cell: Well good for you, you're wrong.
- Cell upon being asked what his name is:Cell: Truth is, I really don't have one. But all things considered, I'll go with... Cell.
Piccolo: That's kinda boring...
Cell: Coming from the guy named after a woodwind instrument.
- Small one, but in the English (Canada) subtitles, Cell is identified up to this point with a Lenny face.
- Cell's reaction after Piccolo regrows his arm:Cell: Oh that is HARDCORE! Also not good for me. (Trunks and Krillin arrive) Also not good for me!
- This bit after Cell does the Solar Flare (the Freeze-Frame Bonus this time? Two flies humping) and escapes:Krillin: That's Tien's thing!
Piccolo: I f**king know!!
- The Stinger with Vegeta:Vegeta: Okay, what the hell am I sensing? Is that the Namekian? Is that ME?! IS THAT ME STRONGER THAN ME?! I'LL F**KING KILL ME!!
- Roshi does the disclaimer, while high and laughing at "release".
- "The species evolution obviously wants to die, but we won't let it!"
- Cell meets a Battle Ball team:Cell: I wanna make a joke about your team. What's its name?
Battle Ball Player: The East City Westmen! (Chorus: Hoo-ha!)
Cell: ...Oh, I am too hungry for this shit. (kills the entire Battle Ball team and the bus driver)
- The joke this is spun off from is pretty good too, Cell being annoyed by the confusing naming conventions the Z-world has for their cities.Cell: All right... So South City is to the north, North City is to the west, and East City is... also to the north. ...Where the f**k am I?
- Cell mocking the bus driver of the Easy City Westmen every time he honks the horn by saying "BEEP!" each time. He then says "BEEP BEEP!" as he grabs and kills the bus driver after draining the Battle Ball team.
- Bonus points: the East City Westmen had a game with the West City Southerners.
- The joke this is spun off from is pretty good too, Cell being annoyed by the confusing naming conventions the Z-world has for their cities.
- "I'm coming, I'm coming... I came. Heh."
- Vegeta's ego:Vegeta: The f**k's a Kami?
Krillin: Basically, God.
Vegeta: BUT I'M STILL HERE!
Trunks: Do you really believe your own hype that much!?
Vegeta: I AM THE HYPE!
- But before that:Piccolo: Damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it!
Krillin: Wow, Piccolo's pulling a your dad.
Vegeta, just arriving: Damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it!
Krillin: Oh yeah, see.
Trunks: And now we have *this*.
Vegeta: You! Namekian! Too strong! Explain now!
- But before that:
- While others are shocked over hearing that there's yet another android on the loose, we have everyone's favorite egotistic Saiyan asking: "DO I HEAR FIVE?"
- Leading to Trunks asking Krillin that, if they were to find another android, to not tell Vegeta.
- During the lab infiltration and Trunks finding the blueprints of Androids 17 and 18 (while mentioning their real names, Lapis and Lazuli), we get this:
- Goku's dream. Pirate Goku with Sword Guy Piccolonote and Ninja Goku.
- Cell amuses himself by having a... conversation with Nicky Town, whose population are going to be his next victims. Except he gives Nicky Town a voice and portrays it as being Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?.Cell: Hey there, cherry. What's your name?
"Nicky Town": My name is Nicky Town. Who're you?
Cell: Name's Cell. (licks his beak-mouth) And you are lookin' fine.
"Nicky Town": Why thank you Mr. Cell, but you're just saying that.
Cell: Oh I don't just say that to every town I come across.
"Nicky Town": Mr. Cell, please absorb me.
Cell: Oh don't worry, I'll get around to it.
"Nicky Town": But I need you right now Mr. Cell!
Cell: Ok-ok-okay, I'm really in the middle of something right now.
"Nicky Town": No! Right now, Mr. Cell, right now!
Cell: BITCH, I DO WHAT I WANT!!
- Even better, "She" sounds like "The Ugly One" from Homestar Runner.
- Or Eric Cartman from South Park.
- Cell taking over the radio station is this... slightly.
- To wit:Cell: Hey! Welcome back to 98.5 The Cell! We have another caller making a request.
Victim: PLEASE don't kill me!
Cell: Sorry, that's not in the lineup. (sound of Cell's tail... doing what it does) Speaking of the line-up, in the next half-hour we've got "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran, "Killing Me Softly With His Song" by Lauryn Hill, followed by "All By Myself". Now don't touch that dial...
- To wit:
- A note on Dr. Gero's desk lampshades that the original names of Android 17 and Android 18, which are names of crystals, were so stupid that it's as if their parents wanted them to become strippers.
- The name of the restaurant in Nicky Town is "Lanus serré", which is French for "Tight Anus".
- And suddenly, Maron mentioning their uptightness in episode 31 reveals itself as a joke.
- Krillin makes a Lost in Space joke, and it goes over Trunks' head.Krillin: The future is no fun.
Trunks: It's really not.
- Tien finds out that his fantasy team is screwed.Tien: Aw dammit, he killed my star battleback! My entire fantasy team just went straight to Hell!
Piccolo: Are you serious?
Tien: What? I have hobbies!
Piccolo: (scoffs) No, you don't.
- After Trunks and Krillin go to the remains of the base, we get this conversation between Piccolo and Tien:Piccolo: So, now that I have the chance to say this, sorry that my dad killed Chiaotzu.
(Tien blankly stares at Piccolo)
Nail: ...Aaand ya made it awkward.
- Krillin and Trunks making laser noises as they are shooting energy around the ruins.
- This cheerful bit of Mood Whiplash when they first find fetus Cell.Krillin: Oh my God, it's adorable! (beat) Whelp, time to waste it.
- Trunks hesitates at killing the fetus Cell, and it becomes a brief lecture from Krillin between "life" and "choice".Krillin: F**k it, I'm dropping the pretenses. We're aborting Cell.
- Krillin's Pre-Mortem One-Liner before blowing up the base? "Hasta La Vista, baby!"
- Which blows up in his face (literally) when he gets caught in the ensuing smoke cloud.
- Tien making fun of Vegeta:Vegeta: As for me, I will find a level beyond a Super Saiyan!
Tien: So, what? Like a "Mega Saiyan"? "Ultra Saiyan"?
Vegeta: You're mocking me...
Tien: "Maximum Over-Saiyan"!
Vegeta: F**k off, triclops! (flies away)
Krillin: Why do you antagonize him like that? You know he can kill you, right?
Tien: At this point, it's a game. If he gives in, I win. And he knows that.
- The original Goku scene has Chi-Chi quite pissed at the idea of Goku taking Gohan out to fight the Androids, giving Yamcha a Death Glare, giving him a death threat, and preferring everyone to stay inside where they can all become doctor-lawyer-scientists. Gohan says it best about Goku.Gohan: Yeah, that's great, mom, but you know if you tell that to dad, it's just gonna go in one ear and get bored and die.
- As for Chi-Chi's death threat...Chi-Chi: Hey Yamcha, when you go to sleep tonight...don't go to sleep tonight.
- As for Chi-Chi's death threat...
- Goku is back and throws Chi-Chi up to show he's at 100%... she goes into space. Not only that: she burns up exiting the atmosphere. Goku's face as he sees this just screams "Oh, Crap!." And in the next scene, she's fine.
- We finally get an explanation for why Bulma's mother never ages.Mr. Briefs: Of course he had a sub-lab. We all have sub-labs. Where do you think I keep your mother's clones?
Bulma: Mom's what?
Mr. Briefs: Don't go in the basement.
- This may also be a call back to Mrs. Briefs and Bulma's conversation in episode 40.
- When Krillin is informed that 18 is still anatomically intact:Krillin: Just went from a nine to a ten.
- And while the androids are threatening their lives - Krillin uses a lame pickup line on 18.
- At an amusement park Cell attacked, but Piccolo and Tien were too late in saving it.
- Roshi's "part the sea" joke, in response to seeing the ocean split apart by Goku's attack.Roshi: Well, either Goku's awake or Moses has brought the Jews. Either way, my pantry's not full enough.
- Piccolo doesn't understand pot and grass are slang terms for marijuana, for which Kami has a yearning. Even Nail, who grew up on another planet, knows these slang terms.
- Goku was able to catch up on what's going on thanks to his pirate dream. He was having a ninja dream, but it ended.note
- Goku does not know Chi-Chi is gonna be pissed about him going to fight the Androids.Goku: What, if you're worried about Gohan, I'll bring him along with me.
- Chi-Chi just gives up and says go ahead and fight them, on one condition: that they have another baby.Goku: Hmm. Hmm. Kaybye! (teleports away)
Roshi: Was that a yes?
Chi-Chi: (singsong) It wasn't a "no"...
Roshi: Hmm. Hmm. Kaybye!
- When Krillin makes a comment about how it's lucky that they have the Dragon Balls when all the townspeople are dying, Piccolo makes an awkward confession about how the Dragon Balls are no longer an option.Piccolo: Aaah....Remember how Kami and I fused?
Tien: (horrified realization) No...!
Piccolo: ...And remember how we used to have Dragon Balls?
Tien: Holy shit...
- When the B-team is freaking out over the fact that the Dragon Balls no longer exist, Krillin cries out "Why don't we have Goku?!".Goku: (teleports in) I'm taking Gohan, bye! (teleports out)
Gohan: Wh— (teleports with Goku)
Piccolo: Good news, we have Goku!
Krillin: Bitchin'! Let's go hang at Kame House!
- Krillin's reaction to the loss of the Dragon Balls.Krillin: (extremely high pitched) Oh! Okay!
- Krillin's reaction to the loss of the Dragon Balls.
- As for the other Saiyans:Trunks: NOTICE ME!
- After Goku and Gohan meet up with Vegeta and Trunks. Bonus points for Goku being able to read how bad a mood Vegeta is in for once.Trunks: Hey dad! Do you wanna train with me?
Vegeta: F**k off!
Trunks: About that well...
Goku: Oooh, only on two words, eh? I'll go talk to him.
- After Goku and Gohan meet up with Vegeta and Trunks. Bonus points for Goku being able to read how bad a mood Vegeta is in for once.
- Goku giving Vegeta a "motivational" speech:Goku: But you know what they say, Vegeta. When you fall off that horse, you get right back up and you eat that horse! Come eat that horse with me, Vegeta!
Vegeta: What the hell are you on about?!
- Vegeta's first encounter with Mr. Popo.Vegeta: WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT?!
- Android 16 enjoying the bumpy ride due to the wildlife... before 18 blasts the whole forest to kingdom come. She makes it up to him by promising to take him to a zoo. His response?16: ...I want to see the parrots.
- The Androids searching Goku's house:17: So, 18, what's it look like in there?
18: It looks like Goku's wife is a Chinese princess. Seriously, I'm glad she's my size, but who wears this junk?
17: I mean, is Goku there?
18: Oh, no, place is empty. Devoid of all people, and taste.
- 16 decides it's time to do things his way:16: We have done things your way. Now, we will do it my way. The bird way. We fly.
18: Now he's speaking my language. I mean... kind of.
- Goku's inability to pronounce "Hyperbolic Time Chamber".
- Gohan wonders why they haven't used the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to train before now.Gohan: Wait, how long have you known about this?
Goku: Since I was a kid.
Gohan: Then why didn't Krillin and the others use it to train against the Saiyans? Why didn't WE use it to train against the Androids?!
Popo: They had... other training. Besides, they most likely would not have survived. I threw Goku in there once when he was a kid.
Goku: I almost died.
- Trunks is shocked by what he sees when he first enters the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.Trunks: Holy...! This place, it's... nothing but a white void! I can't see where it ends... or even where it begins! It's... overwhelming. I need time— time to adjust, time to—
Vegeta: Trainingbeginsnow! (smacks Trunks in the face) (Beat) You weren't ready.
Trunks: (elongated moan)
- The stinger. It's identical to embryo Cell's first appearance... except it's fetus Mrs. Briefs. Could count as nightmare fuel if you think about it too hard.
- Trunks pleading to Goku for help as he and Vegeta head into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
- When Goku notes that Popo doesn't seem like himself, we then see Popo's POV, and he's imagining Kami next to Goku.
- The Androids arrive at Kame House:17: We're here for Goku.
Piccolo: Son of a bitch.
16: Son Goku is not here.
17: Son of a bitch!
- Goku giving Vegeta the nickname of 'Geets.
- Android 16 once again bird-watching.
- Goku again having trouble pronouncing Hyperbolic Time Chamber... or maybe not.Goku: We have to wait for Vegeta and Trunks to come out of the Hypertonic Lion Tamer.
Popo: That one was on purpose.
Goku: Could've been.
- Goku being knocked off the Lookout for mispronouncing the Hyperbolic Time Chamber by Mr. Popo right before the opening credits. He actually sounds like he's enjoying it too.
- Pecking Order!
- The various comments during the fight between 17 & Piccolo17: What's going on over there?
17: Dodge wha— (gets hit by Piccolo) You know 16, yelling "dodge" is more distracting than helpful!
16: He has fused with Kami.
17: Kami? Wha— (gets his ass kicked some more) Seriously, what the hell's a "Kami"?
Piccolo: It means "God". Now bow.
- When 17 appears to be dodging all of Piccolo's ki blasts.17: (as Piccolo continues to fire ki blasts despite the fact that 17 stopped awhile ago) Umm, I stopped dodging! Seriously, are you even trying to hit me?
17: The hell do you mean "no"? (Looks around at the scattered dormant ki blasts) Oh. Ohhhhh. Ohhhhhh shit.
Piccolo: Hellzone Grenade!
17: (thinking to himself as the ki blasts close in on him) Oh man, it's even got a cool name!
- As 17 is gaining the upper hand.Nail: (as Piccolo is backflipping) Why are you backflipping?
Piccolo: To gain some distance!
(17 punches Piccolo)
Kami: (exasperated) You can fly!
- When 17 appears to be dodging all of Piccolo's ki blasts.
- Android 17 is somewhat upset that Piccolo tried to kill Goku and no one holds that against him, while when he and the other androids do it, they're all out to get them.Piccolo: When I did it, it was for revenge. You're just doing it for shits and giggles.
17: Tell you what. You live a few years in stasis with your creator repeating the words "Kill Goku" over and over in your subconscious, then you can ride that high horse all day long.
Piccolo: Nothing, just... nostalgia.
- Dr. Briefs once again showcasing that, in TFS' version, he's a Mad Scientist without a shred of morality.Bulma: The crazy bastard was kidnapping dozens of orphaned teenagers and experimenting on them!
Dr. Briefs: Oh, come now. You can't kidnap an orphan - they weren't wanted in the first place! As aside, that's kind of brilliant.
- He then lets slip that he'd wanted to implant a bomb in Bulma as a child to keep her in line, but Mrs. Briefs prevented it.
- Krillin owning Yamcha by proving he's somehow the bigger Butt-Monkey. .Krillin: Hey, I was on Namek, okay?! Shit got crazy! I got stabbed! And blown up!
Yamcha: I've been stabbed and blown up too! And dumped by the only girlfriend I ever had!
Krillin: Same. But you know the difference? When mine left, she took all my money. When yours left, she took all her money.
Roshi: Gonna need a Senzu for that one.
- Later on:Yamcha: Yeah?! W-w-well, at least I slept with Bulma!
Krillin: Yeah? Well, unlike Vegeta, you can't prove it!
Yamcha: Can too! W-we'll just ask her!
Chi-Chi: Bulma's on the phone!
Yamcha: On second thought, never mind.
Tien: (thinking) You know, in hindsight, (smirks) I'm so glad that I am here right now.
- Even better, we see most of this second argument facing Tien, whose looking at Yamcha and Krillin as they take turns with all three eyes, When the argument is finished he looks in the direction of the camera.
- Later on:
- Goku flip-flopping over whether Piccolo can defeat the androids as both Piccolo and 17 are going at it.Gohan: Dad, do you think Piccolo can win?
Goku: No... (17 attacks Piccolo)
Goku: But maybe... (Piccolo counters)
Goku: Then again... (17 counters)
Goku: Although... (Piccolo headbutts 17)
Gohan: Why do you keep stopping short?
Goku: Oh, I'm sorry Gohan, were you saying something?
- After Bulma is successful in creating a detonator, she retrieves Trunks and we get this:Yajirobe: Wait, are you breastfeeding?
Bulma: Yeah, why?
- Piccolo and 17 are screaming at each other with some epic music in the background. Then we're seeing what the scene actually looks like to the others. They are trying to "push each other", screaming at the top of their lungs, nothing is happening and there is no cool music. While they're still screaming in the background, 18 thinks what they are doing is dumb and says it can't get any dumber. Cue the punching part where she admits she was wrong.
- Underscored by the fact that the punching part is set to ballet music.
- Sixteen continuing to be even more single-minded about killing Goku than he is in canon.18: Ugh. My God. This is so dumb. This cannot get any dumber.
16: Agreed. Sure is a lot of not-killing-Goku going on right now. (beat) You know what would fix that?
18: Is it killing Goku?
16: A good old rousing round of Killing Goku.
- Yajirobe comes in with an armful of food, prompting Dr. Briefs to ask him its source due to Yajirobe having already cleaned out their pantry.Yajirobe: Not the fridge in the basement.
Dr. Briefs: I don't have a fridge in my... (beat) Oh my god.note
- And this episode's stinger has Dr. Briefs chasing Yajirobe through the house, blasting out a window in the process.
- The Running Gag over the confusion of it supposedly being 22 hours between when the fight with the Androids started and when Bulma finished the detonator.
- Piccolo's attempted boast falls a little flat with 17.Piccolo: Oh, I'm not the same Namekian you faced before!
17: Oh. Oh shit, are you talking metaphorically? 'Cause if not, I'm gonna start feeling like a racist because you look exactly the same.
- Cell's introduction to his siblings is exactly as hilariously creepy as you'd expect.Cell: Hello... brother.
Android 17: Come again?
Cell: In a moment. And hello, my beautiful sister. (licks his lips)
Android 18: Oh f*ck no!
- The sound Cell makes when he licks his lips sounds like Hannibal Lecter talking about the census-taker. FH-FH-FH-FH-FH
- Right after Cell finishes being creepy to 18 he sees 16 and temporarily drops his Nightmare Fuel attitude.Cell: (sees 16) And, uh... Um...
16: I am designated as Android 16.
Cell: ...Cool. Anywho...
- After Piccolo explains who Cell is.
- Krillin's incomprehensible string of "Yeah! No!", as he's too terrified for rational thought.
- Chi-Chi suggests one of them fly off to get the remote detonator from Bulma.Krillin: Chi-Chi, you beautiful woman who lives in Goku's house!
Chi-Chi: That is what I do.
- Yamcha breaks Roshi's toilet."Oh no! Oh jeez! Oh God!"
- Kami tries to reassure Piccolo, only for Nail to botch it.
- Cell making things weird (again).Cell: Is it hard to bear, Piccolo? My overwhelming power? Its weight? Its... girth?
- The "Stop it!" Running Gag after Cell delivers a Double Entendre.17: Oookay! Future bugman... Let's say I, uh, believe that now. Where do we go from here?
Cell: Inside me!
17: Stop it!
Piccolo: He's also a walking talking petri dish of the galaxy's strongest fighters!
Cell: No need for flattery, Piccolo. You're already inside me.
Piccolo: STOP IT!
- Cell channels a certain other character voiced by Takahata101.17: Why are you here?
Cell: Because, bitch, I drink people.
- Kami's reaction to Piccolo getting stomped by Cell.Kami: I believe this is what the young people call "getting rekt'd".
- In one final effort to stop Cell, Piccolo begins charging an all-powerful Light Grenade. Seventeen's reaction?Seventeen: Nope! (flees)
- Piccolo's last-ditch effort fails, but he's still got one trick left.Nail: Ooookay, last ditch effort didn't work.
Kami: Got any last-last ditch efforts?
Piccolo: (desperately) Just one... NAAAAAAAIL GU— *CRACK!*Cell: (picks him up) Any last words, my big, green friend?
Piccolo: (gurgles as his head sags to one side)
Cell: Well said! Good game. (blows a hole through his chest and lobs him into the ocean)
- As he sinks into the ocean after Cell blasts him through the chest, Nearer My God to Thee starts playing.Kami: (resigned) Well...that's it, then...isn't it?
Nail: Gentlemen, it's been a privilege fighting with you...
- As he sinks into the ocean after Cell blasts him through the chest, Nearer My God to Thee starts playing.
- Goku succinctly sums up Piccolo getting a beam through the torso.Goku: Oh, that ain't good.
- Gohan plans on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge, about to have an argument with Goku about how much Piccolo is more like his real dad.Gohan: Mr. Piccolo would let me go!
Goku: No, he wouldn't! And he's smarter than me!
Gohan: I... uh... wow, o-okay, that's...actually a good point.
Goku: And besides, the moment you leave, that door is going to open.
Popo: He's right, you know.
Goku: Every time.
- Android 16 is both hilarious and awesome in this episode:Android 17: What took you so long?
Android 16: I was waiting to see how things played out.
Android 17: Wait, was that sarcasm?
Android 16: I am not programmed for sarcasm.
Android 17: I'm proud of you.
- Cell's failed attempt to absorb Android 16 gave this nice subtle Call-Back to episode 43.
- Cell's callback to Goku in Lord Slug Abridged:Cell: N-n-now I know what you're thinking. Should I rip off his tail? And the answer might surprise y—(rrrrriiipppp) AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
17: (aghast) I was not ready for today.
18: (also aghast) I don't think any of us were.
- We have this bit after 16 slams Cell deep into the Earth.
- Everyone's reactions to Android 16's Rocket Punch:Cell: WHAT!? THE- *WHAM*
Android 18: (sounding unimpressed) Wow, really?
Android 17: (excitedly) THAT IS SO COOL!
- 18 and 17 reactions are a nod to One Piece, where whenever Franky demonstrates what his robotic contraptions can do, all the boys react with glee while all the girls are completely indifferent.
- Android 16 loves Earth. Specifically:Android 16: From its trees, to its birds, to its people, to its birds.
- Android 16 has his limits when it comes to peace.17: Forget destroying everything, forget killing people, and y'know what? Forget killing Son Goku.
16: Let's not get crazy!
- Though the scene with Cell swallowing up 17 is a mix of Nightmare Fuel and Tear Jerker, 17's comments are just hilarious.
- The Stinger shows Cell evolving Pokémon style, complete with Pokemon sounds, starting with a Scyther and then the cute chirping sound of a Smoochum upon completion.
- The opening has Krillin and Bulma on a collision course in mid-air. Despite the cries of both Krillin and Baby!Trunks, Bulma doesn't see who she's about to hit until it's too late. Krillin's Owned Count ticks up to 32Krillin: Hey, it's Bulma! Hey Bulma!
Bulma: Huh? What is it, Trunks?
Bulma: Whatcha pointing at, little guy?
Krillin: Bulma, wait! *SMACK*
Bulma: Oh my god!
Krillin: (muffled) Found you! ("Owned" counter ticks up)
- And during this, Baby Trunks sounds like he's saying "Krillin".
- The very first thing Semi-Perfect Cell says is:Cell: So, this is what lips feel like...Buh buh buh, buhbuhbuhbuhbuh, bbbblah bbbbblah bbbbblah, bbbbbblah bbbbbblah bbbbbblah! Ohohohoh, that's fun!
- Semi-Perfect Cell in general. It helps that he sounds almost exactly like Alucard.
- And then he starts Motorboating, causing 16 to try to take advantage of his distraction and punch him in the face. His reaction? Motorboating defiantly and then shooting 16 point blank with a ki blast.
- After 16 gets blasted by Cell, we get this:18: 16! Are you okay?
16: My cranial structure has received serious damage. How are you?
- 18's bomb is located on her chest, but the way she positions her hand over her chest makes her look like she's grabbing her breasts.18: Well then, I'll just have to do this. *Positions her hand on her breast*
Semi-Perfect Cell: Give yourself a boob exam?
18: No, explode my bomb.
Semi-Perfect Cell: In your boob?
18: No, in my chest.
Semi-Perfect Cell: Booby bomb!*
18: I'm serious!
- This bit as Semi-Perfect Cell summons up 17:17: Yo shiggy-diggy, what's up my sizzle?
18: (annoyed) Oh my god.
17: Yo don't blow your tits sis, that's whack! You gotta chill yourself before you kill yourself!
18: This can't actually be real.
17: Oh, it's real! And it's happenin'! So what you need to do is calm down and get all up in Cell! It's downright tubular in here! We got candy and puppies and--
18: You know absolutely nothing about us, do you?
Semi-Perfect Cell: Okay. To be fair, I just met you.
- Semi-Perfect Cell greeting Tien with a comparison as painfully insulting as it is literally accurate. No wonder he draws so much of the latter's ire!Semi-Perfect Cell: Oh my god, it's Tien! What, was Krillin busy?
- After Tien manages to land his Shin Kikoho on Semi-Perfect Cell, we get this:Semi-Perfect Cell: Oh, that's adora— (gets blasted) SHIIIIT!!!!
- While Tien blasts Cell with the Shin Kikoho:
- Tien bombarding Semi-Perfect Cell with the Shin Kikoho is so loud that it can be heard from all the way over at Kame House.Master Roshi: Jeez, I think I can hear that.
Tien: (off-screen) Kikoho! (explosion)
Semi-Perfect Cell: (off-screen) FUUUUUUUCK!!!
- Even Goku and Gohan sense what Tien's doing to Cell!Gohan: Is that... Tien Shinhan?!
Goku: Yeah. And he is nettled. Super nettled.
Popo: He's gonna die.
- Cell's getting a little fed-up with Tien's barrage of Shin Kikoho:Semi-Perfect Cell: (as he slowly flies out of the giant hole in the ground) Are ya done?! Because I'm coming out, and I swear to God, if you do that again, I will be so freaking nettled!
Tien: (whispering) Kikoho.
Semi-Perfect Cell: Aw dammit!
- Yamcha brings up when Tien died after overusing the Kikoho the first time around.Yamcha: Yeah, didn't he do that when you, uh... when you...
Chiaotzu: Died. Yes. Jesus, we've literally all done it.
Chi-Chi: I haven't.
Chiaotzu: Give it some time; you're hanging with the right crowd.
- Everything Master Roshi says:Roshi: Sometimes you've got to know when to hold 'em, and Know When to Fold 'Em. And right now, it's foldin' time. Pig! Grab M'Dick!
Oolong: Please tell me you mean the submarine.
- After Tien overexerts himself from using the Shin Kikoho.Tien: (thinking to himself) Huh, not dead yet. That's weir— Ah, there we go. (falls to the floor)
Semi-Perfect Cell: You know, if you want my personal opinion, Kikoho is a pretty sad choice of last words. But to be fair, it's far from the worst decision you've made today.
Tien: Kiko-f**k yourself.
Semi-Perfect Cell: Aww, see? That's the spirit.
- Goku frets because he doesn't think he can get to Tien and Picccolo in time...then he remembers he can teleport instantly anywhere he wants.Popo: HE DEAD!
Gohan: We gotta help him!
Goku: But I can't get him in time! There's no way I can move fast enough to grab him, get out, and— (realizes he can Instant Transmission and pops out)
Gohan: D-did he just remember he could do that?
Popo: Your father's an idiot.
- Cell's shock at finding out the perforated Piccolo is still alive.Semi-Perfect Cell: I blew a hole in him! How durable is he!? ...How durable am I? Questions for later.
- Cell's reaction after Goku tells him that he's gonna die, then teleports out with Instant Transmission.Semi-Perfect Cell: What? How?! Why?! I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!
- Bulma explains to Krillin how the bomb and detonation works, with it turning out to be one big sex joke.Bulma: Now listen, the detonator's signal is weak, so you'll have to be within 10 meters of the androids.
Krillin: So, what you're saying is that I have to get... close.
Bulma: Eh, 30 feet isn't that close.
Krillin: Oh, I'm gonna get all up in that.
Bulma: Well, you could use some protection then.
Bulma: I made you all battlesuits like Vegeta's.
Krillin: Oh thanks, but I probably won't need it. I'm pretty good about pulling out before I get in trouble. Besides, I tried one on Namek, but I got a huge hole in it.
- Which basically is a Call-Back to Vegeta's protection joke earlier in the season with the punchline flipped around.
- Goku's not good with numbers.Goku: It's a good thing I showed up when I did. Cell was about to 69 ya!
Gohan: 86, dad. 86.
Goku: I'm not good with numbers.
- Goku is hilariously frank about how strong his friends are.Piccolo: We don't have anyone with the strength to stop [Cell]!
Popo: Your worthless maggot friends are coming out!
Gohan: Or do we?!
Goku: No, Gohan, we haven't gone in yet.
Piccolo: Wow, really, Goku?
- Trunks finds himself at a loss for words when complimented after a year with Vegeta.Goku: Hey, Trunks! Wow, neat hair!
Trunks: (thinking to himself) Oh my god. First piece of positive reinforcement in over a year. Respond appropriately. (vocally) Thank you, I grew it myself. (thinking) Dammit!
Goku: That's funny!
Trunks: (thinking) Roll with it.
- Vegeta once again goes off on how his training has made him stronger than Goku. We cut to Goku!Vision and Vegeta's dialogue is "Blah Blah Blah blah..." broken with sparse words like 'Super Saiyan', 'Pride', and 'Prince of All'.
- Even better is the Goku!Vision itself, a fuzzy sepia tone with Dadhi Dado Da from LocoRoco playing in the background, which really sells "head in the clouds".
- Or, alternately, Goku knowing that Vegeta's rants are rather formulaic and that Vegeta's not coming up with anything new or interesting to say.
- Goku's reaction after the latter finishes and proclaims that he's stronger than the former.
- Even better is the Goku!Vision itself, a fuzzy sepia tone with Dadhi Dado Da from LocoRoco playing in the background, which really sells "head in the clouds".
- Baby!Trunks helps with the intro.
- Cell's angry rant over losing track of 18.Cell: So I'm a hair's breath from perfection, and then Triclops shows up and decides, "I'm just going to turn triangles into f**kin' squares!" Then Goku shows up, apparently he can teleport; gotta look into THAT later! But at the very top of this long list of stupid questions is WHERE! ARE! YOU! 18?!
- Made funnier by the fact that you can ALMOST hear Taka's voice break from laughing right around "Then Goku shows up".
- Android 18 has the idea of getting off the island without Cell seeing them: going under water.Android 18: Sixteen, are you waterproof?
Android 16: (head sparks) I was.
Android 18: Shit.
- Android 16's malfunctioning throughout the episode.
- In the canon series, Piccolo and Tien refuse to wear the armor because they don't want to look just like Vegeta (who they hate with a seething passion). In here?Bulma: Any reason?
Piccolo and Tien: (disgusted faces) No.
- Goku!Vision appears once again, and this time we see Vegeta with a mustache, while spanish music plays in the background.Vegeta: Mooost-aaachee...
Goku: Hee hee...
- Bulma has something else on her mind when talking about Vegeta.Bulma: Wait, you spent a year with Vegeta? Even I haven't done that.
Trunks: I wouldn't recommend it, all he does is scream at you.
Bulma: (smiles and glances knowingly to the side) Yeah he does.
- Vegeta's commentary on the armor.Vegeta: This is easily the greatest thing you've ever produced.
Baby!Trunks: (makes a noise)
Vegeta: Yes, even you.
- Cell receiving relationship advice from the island's inhabitants. He finally gets tired of it when someone suggests it's trouble in bed, threatening to blow up the islands.Harry: Don't you think that's a little extreme?
Cell: You're not involved in this anymore, Harry.
Harry: I think I'm pretty involved.
- Goku giving Trunks senzu beans with their agreed reasoning being because Vegeta.
- Goku puts on the space armor.
- Goku continues to channel Vegeta in the time chamber.Goku: But I think with some crunches, pullups, and plenty of milk, we'll get it.
- The "it" in question is Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan, and just before this line, Goku mentions that it isn't going to be easy due to Krillin not being there to die for him.
- And then he mentions he and Gohan are going to fight as part of their training.
- Also, "The Void... void... void..."Gohan: Uh, does it do that all the time?
Goku: Oh yeah. But only if you say the word "void" (void... void...)
Gohan: Okay, well, we're gonna avoid that word for now— (void... void...) ...Why?
- The "it" in question is Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan, and just before this line, Goku mentions that it isn't going to be easy due to Krillin not being there to die for him.
- Trunks remarks that they need to stop Cell from whatever atrocities he's committing at that very moment... smash cut to Cell arguing with the island's inhabitants about relationship issues.Sally: My husband and I go to couple's counseling every Tuesday, and it's really helped us!
Semi-Perfect Cell: Yes, and I'm happy to hear that, Sally, but my situation isn't exactly—
Tom: Well, if you love something, you have got to set it free!
Semi-Perfect Cell: Okay, that's not—
Harry: You can't be so clingy! It's kinda creepy!
Semi-Perfect Cell: But it's—
Sally: Do you think it's inadequacies in the bedroom?
Semi-Perfect Cell: And we're done.
- Cell's exasperation that Vegeta's trash talk is largely centered on saying "you're ugly" or some variation thereof. "Riveting".
- When Cell asks for Goku instead of Vegeta... It makes the Saiyan Prince a little upset.Semi-Perfect Cell: Aww, what's wrong, prince? Did I touch a nerve?
Future Trunks: You pressed the Goku Button.
Semi-Perfect Cell: Excuse me, but the—
(Vegeta punches Cell in the gut after powering up to "Ascended" Super Saiyan)
Vegeta: You shouldn't'a did that.
- This scene is basically Vegeta getting into a (relatively) Tranquil Fury just like 18: Upon hearing the taunt he merely sighs, ascends and gut punches Cell.
- After Gohan tries and fails to go Super Saiyan, Goku decides to explain how he first became one, forgetting one little detail...Goku: You know where I was when I became a Super Saiyan?
Gohan: Yes, you—
Goku: I was on Namek. I thought I'd finally defeated Freezer with the Spirit Bomb. But as it turns out, he was still alive!
Gohan: Dad, I was ther—
Goku: He killed Vegeta, he killed Krillin...
Gohan: I saw everyth—
Goku: Piccolo... tripped, or something. It was pretty bad for everyone. Then, he threatened to do the same to my son! ...Oh hey, you were there!
Goku: Why didn't you go Super Saiyan?
- Vegeta punches Cell into the island, and the impact knocks the rock formation Trunks was on into the water. Trunks just sighs as if he thinks/knows Vegeta did it on purpose.
- Krillin decides to ignore Cell and Vegeta and just concentrate on finding the androids. Which he does in two seconds.Krillin: Man, I'm really good at this.
- This exchange.Cell: (after powering up) Now do you understand, Vegeta?
Vegeta: What I understand is I'm about to pound you so hard, the boy's mother is going to be jealous.
Trunks: (highly exasperated) OH, COULD WE NOT?!
- At the start of the battle:Cell: STOP...FISTING ME!
Vegeta: Okay. (withdraws arm)
Cell: (staggering) NOT ALL AT ONCE! (panting) C-Can I have a moment?
Vegeta: Sure you can.
Cell: Well, thank you, that's apprec—(gets Shoryuken'd by Vegeta)
Android 18: (pondering to herself) Wait. So I beat Vegeta...
Android 16: (sounds broken) Data not found.
Android 18: ...but now Vegeta is wrecking Cell.
Android 16: Data not found.
Android 18: Okay, do you have anything substantial to add to this?
Android 16: (actually looks at her) Do you?
Android 18: ... Data not found.
- In a reference to Weekly Tube Show, Semi-Perfect Cell's ass-butt having the same coloring and texture as Imperfect Cell's mouth means Semi-Perfect Cell can apparently speak through said ass in Imperfect Cell's voice.Imperfect Cell's voice coming from Semi-Perfect Cell's...undercarriage: (chucking dryly) Ah, this is an unfortunate turn of events...
Vegeta: (legitimately disturbed) Did you just... talk out your ass?
Cell: Well, to be fair, Vegeta, you are part of my DNA.
Vegeta: Ooh, that is the closest thing you've done to damage since I've gotten here.
- Cell demands some answers for Vegeta's newfound strength and we get this exchange.Cell: HOW?! HOW?! HOW DID YOU GET THIS STRONG?!
Vegeta: I trained all day yesterday.
Cell: Oh, you think you're being cute!!
Vegeta: Bitch, I'm adorable.
- Piccolo and Tien are not rooting for Vegeta, they're rooting against Cell.Tien: What do we do if he wins?
Piccolo: Which one?
Tien: Which one is worse?
- Bulma trying— key word trying— to defend Vegeta to Piccolo and Tien, only to end up agreeing what an ass Vegeta is.
- When they say that he left her as a single mother... she says that she's rich, so it doesn't matter. It's her voice when she says it that sells it.Bulma: You know, Vegeta may be... is a total ass, but he's not that bad.
Tien: Says the woman he left a single mother.
Bulma: Oh please, I'm rich. It's hardly the same.
Piccolo: To be honest, it's probably for the best that he left.
Bulma: Wow. Really?
Piccolo: What, would you really trust Vegeta with a baby?
Bulma: Well, not my baby...
Tien: And there you go.
- When they say that he left her as a single mother... she says that she's rich, so it doesn't matter. It's her voice when she says it that sells it.
- Cell proving that his ego is very similar to Vegeta's when he starts losing and begins whining about how unfair life is being to him; a Call-Back to when Vegeta started bitching about wanting to become a Super Saiyan.Cell: I WANT TO BE PERFECT! I WANNA! I WANNA I WANNA I WANNA—(gets kicked face down into the ground) I WANNA! (muffled whimpering)
Vegeta: Excellent; I've broken both your body and your spirit. Time to die.
- Cell thinks he has Vegeta...Cell: (leaping out of the water) SURPRISE! (grabs Vegeta's ankle) Lookie what I caught—a walking, talking Napoleon complex!
(Cell tries to stab Vegeta with his tail, who dodges it and catches it under his arm, while it wiggles wildly.)
Vegeta: And lookie what I caught!
Cell: (trying to pull it free) Oh, No... Not Again!
Vegeta: So...what do you do with this...thing?
Cell: I drink people!
Vegeta: Were you trying to drink me?
Cell: N-no! (his tail starts wiggling up and down) ...yes.
(Vegeta knees him in the gut, making him double over with a surprised look)
Vegeta: You feel that? That's what honesty feels like.
- Vegeta, being Vegeta, sort of compliments Trunks, only to use it to lead straight into insulting him and Bulma.Vegeta: Though it pains me to admit it, the boy over there is almost as strong as I am. Then again, unlike you, he's half me. 'Course, the other half is his mother. I mean, look at that hair.
Vegeta: You look like a fruit!
Vegeta: And not like a homosexual— I mean like a literal walking fruit!
Trunks: (Death Glare)
- One wonders if that was just an insult, or he thinks that would've been Trunks' Saiyan name.
- Trunks can see what's coming.
- The Stinger starts out kind of touching, with Goku and Gohan bonding. But the splash fight suddenly becoming Serious Business makes the scene take a turn. In the original, Goku joked about firing a Kamehameha. Here, he actually does it. And blows up the bath house.Goku: Ka-me-ha-me...!
Gohan: Dad, no!
Goku: No holdin' back! Haaaaaaaaaaaa!
- After the stinger, Vegeta talks to the viewers about the various places they can click such as the Like button, subscribing, about him wasting his precious training time playing video games and also to check out their other series, Final Fantasy 7 Machinabridged, while calling Cloud a "Super Saiyan wannabe"
- Goku's song about wanting to see Gohan turn into a Super Saiyan, set to the tune of "Giant Woman" from Steven Universe.
- In typical Goku fashion, the song is accompanied by a "follow the bouncing muffin" sing-along.
- Tien and Piccolo have a Side Bet going on whether Vegeta or Krillin will screw this up. Bulma, having been in this longer than either of them, picks "both."Piccolo: Wow.
Bulma: (...) Although, if I had to pick who'd screw up first...
Answer Cut to Krillin
- 16 adamantly refusing Krillin's request to not kill anyone. On the logic that Goku is a person, "meaning he is part of anyone. Therefore. NO. DEAL." 18 calms him down by promising to "get him a Goku."16: Do you promise?
16: *Beat* Proceed.
- 16's one track mind continues to shine while 18 tries reassuring Krillin about their intentions.18: Listen, we weren't planning on killing anyone.
16: Except Goku!
18: We haven't even killed anyone thus far! In fact, the only thing we want dead right now is Cell!
16: Also, Goku!
Krillin: Oh... Thank God, that makes this so much easier. *crushes the remote under foot*
- Thus, Piccolo wins the first round of his and Tien's bet.
- And then Bulma wins round two.Piccolo: Oh, no. GOD damn him!
Bulma: Okay, what did Vegeta do?
Piccolo: He's letting Cell absorb 18!
Tien: Well, looks like nobody wins.
Bulma: Well, I technically do. *singing* You guys owe me zeni.
Piccolo: CELL IS GOING TO KILL US ALL!
(Baby!Trunks starts crying)
Mr Popo: Jeez, bring down the whole mood why don't you?
- Vegeta's opinion of himself is inflated as usual.Vegeta: Wait, how can you be semi-perfect? You're either perfect or you're not me. There's no grey area.
- When Cell is beginning to explain his second transformation to Vegeta, he gets a bit too formal.Cell: You see, my dear prince.
Vegeta: Don't push it.
Cell: Er, you see Vegeta...
- When we cut back to the island, Trunks' Big "NO!" is still going, and keeps going in the background through Krillin's whole emotional dilemma.
- Tien's reaction to Krillin crushing the controller. And not just the fact that he owed Piccolo money for guessing wrong on who'd screw up (first). Everyone (except Piccolo) realized he did it because he was hot for 18. note Tien: (Dramatic music) He really did it. He actually risked every life on the planet just for...for cyber sex! I didn't Kikoho myself half to death so he could get laid!
Piccolo: (Music Stops) Oh. Gross.
- And then Trunks' reaction to Krillin breaking the controller after seeing Cell looking at 18 in profound shock.
- He also drops another mention of the 20 hours Running Gag while he's stammering.
- Said stammering is worth quoting, as one suspects this is the moment the Only Sane Man finally snapped:Trunks: Wait, but there's Krillin! Does he have the - (sees crushed remote) - ...No...but why?! He...why?! Krillin...crushed...remote! But...could turn...perfect! Crushed! Why?! Kril...but..twenty hours!
- Also mention of Cell's borderline orgasmic reaction to finding Android 18 as this takes place. Trunks' disbelieing stammering is punctuated by Cell's delighted, ongoing groan perfectly, building up to the point where Cell's voice starts drowning him out, leading Trunks to deliver the What the Hell, Hero? line in a completely-fed-up-with-all-the-idiocy SCREAM.
- Although, even after being mad at Krillin for breaking the remote, Bulma seems more understanding and the only one to cut him some slack when she finds out that Android 18 is a woman, realizing that Krillin probably did it to both get a girlfriend and be chivalrous.Tien: (yelling angrily) All he had to do was push the button and!...!? (quieter in realization) blow up the girl....
Bulma: Oh, that makes sense.
- After Vegeta decides to let Cell go after 18, Trunks obviously intervenes and Vegeta drops this line:Vegeta: Boy, don't make me come up there and be a parent!
Trunks: First time for everything!
- Trunks and Semi-Perfect Cell do a fun callback to the previous episode, with Trunks telling him that he's not involved in the conversation about destroying him.
- Krillin and 16 acknowledging each other's bravery... before 16 says "You are way out of your league, tiny duck."
- Cell calling out for Vegeta's assistance with Trunks as though he's just an abusive big brother. And Vegeta acting like a beleaguered father figure to both of them.Cell: Vegeta, Trunks is picking on me!
Vegeta: Learn to share, brat!
- After Trunks blasts Vegeta and starts beating Cell, Cell declares this means war, before being interrupted mid-sentence, followed by weakly asking where Vegeta is after the ensuing beatdown.
- The mere fact Cell waves between being a complete joke (by Vegeta and Trunks) to a genuine threat (by 16, 18 and Krillin) is hilarious in its own way.
- After Trunks blasts Vegeta and starts beating Cell, Cell declares this means war, before being interrupted mid-sentence, followed by weakly asking where Vegeta is after the ensuing beatdown.
- Cell calling Android 16 a "precious little cinnamon bun".
- This little bit:Trunks: That is it! I am stopping this NOW!
Vegeta: OH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
Trunks: What am I doing?!
Vegeta: THWARTIN' MAH PLANS?!
Trunks: Thwarting your plans?!
Vegeta: ARE YOU?!
(Trunks glares a hole through Vegeta)
Trunks: YOU KNOW WHAT?! YES!!!
(blasts him away with A Twinkle in the Sky).
- Then, a couple scenes later, Vegeta floating in the ocean, contemplating what just happened.
- Vegeta then returns to the battle, only to immediately be hit by Cell's Solar Flare.Vegeta: AAH! MY RAGE HAS BLINDED ME!
- In an serious moment where he tries to absorb 18, Cell starts humming the theme of his Perfect form from the Bruce Falconer soundtrack of the Funimation dub.
- Ultimately, Krillin tries to help Androids 18 and 16 escape.
- Perfect Cell's introduction song.Perfect Cell: ♪"P" is for "priceless", the look upon your faces♪
"E" is for "extinction", all your puny races♪
"R" for "revolution", which will be televised♪
"F" is for how "fucked" you are, now allow me to reprise~♪
"E" is for "eccentric", just listen to my song♪
"C" is for "completion" that I waited for so long♪
"T" is for the "terror", upon you Ill bestow♪♪note
(chuckle) My name is Perfect Cell, and I'd like to say...hello.
- The alternate scene. Krillin tries to stomp on the detonation switch, but accidentally presses the button with his foot, causing Android 18's head to explode.
- Trunks addresses the audience in the subscribe page at the end.Trunks: Well it looks like my father just killed us all. Make sure to catch what's coming to him by hitting the subscribe button, so you can follow the rest of our ever-shortening lives.
- Goku's glee at Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan.
- Also how Gohan finally transforms. Goku throws a blast of energy strong enough to kill him and orders him to dodge.Gohan: Damn you, Pavlov.
- And the fact that Goku is cheerfully oblivious of the way Gohan is barely holding back a Rage Breaking Point.Goku: So... who wants a haaaaircuuuut?
- The Stinger with Goku admonishing Gohan for accidentally setting some meat on fire, even as his hair burns.Gohan: Uh dad, your hair—
Goku: Don't change the subject, Gohan *his whole head bursts into flames* (sniffs) Who's cooking pork?
- The YouTube version has Gohan trying to help Goku put out the fire while doing the usual Like/Subscribe comments. All while Goku is running around, asking why did he blow up the tub, and telling Gohan that he set the door on fire.
- Also how Gohan finally transforms. Goku throws a blast of energy strong enough to kill him and orders him to dodge.
- Trunks' reaction to Krillin getting pasted (again)Trunks: Krillin! Are you alright?!
Krillin: (pained whimper)
Trunks: Do you need a senzu bean?
Krillin: (pained whimper)
Trunks: ...you're right; that is a stupid question.
- Cell's casual conversing with #16, attempting to break the tension between the two. It doesn't work.Cell: Hey!
Android 16: ...Hello
Cell: So are we cool?
Android 16: You ate my family!
Cell: Hey, don't lose your head. They were my family too.
- Cell starts to go on a "World of Cardboard" Speech to Vegeta, only to be mystified about what the crest on his head is.Vegeta: So you broke the bald one's neck. Bra-vo. I hope you're not too proud of yourself!
Cell: Oh, prince...I am proud — not of that, no; but of you. It takes a big man (not necessarily a tall one) to do what you did — sticking to your guns and throwing everyone's lives away! And for that, I tip my...huh, what is that on my head? Would you call it a crown?
Vegeta: (just kind of looks at Cell)
Cell: Sixteen, would you call this a crown?
Sixteen: I hate you.
Cell: We'll call it a crown.
- Cell starts to go on a "World of Cardboard" Speech to Vegeta, only to be mystified about what the crest on his head is.
- Trunks Completely Missing the Point about why Krillin is upset that Cell reached his perfect form.
- Just before Vegeta and Cell "fight"...Vegeta: So...Perfect Cell...
Cell: Mmmmmm~ love the ring to that.
Vegeta: I'm going to enjoy wearing down the knuckles on these gloves...
Cell: (chuckling) OK, I know that wasn't supposed to sound sexual, but...
- Cell mocking Vegeta's Final Flash, only for him to realize how much it's gonna hurt just before it hits.Cell: Oh how cute. He named it— OH SHIT!
- There's also Trunks and Krillin's reactions:Trunks: There is literally nothing left that he could do to make this situation worse. Save blowing up the planet.
Vegeta: (screams, begins powering up to maximum)
Trunks: HE IS GOING TO BLOW UP THE PLANET!
Krillin: BUT I LIVE HERE! (later) ...Phew! He missed the planet!
- There's also Trunks and Krillin's reactions:
- Cell's response to Vegeta's stunned reaction when he hits Cell as hard as he can... and fails to do any damage.Cell: Because, prince, like a soon-to-be broken man once said: "You're either perfect, or you're not me."
- Krillin's pained whining after Cell demolishes him in one hit. Trunks gives him a Senzu bean and lampshades how much of a shame it is that Krillin doesn't have Saiyan biology.Trunks: At this point, you'd probably be unstoppable.
Krillin: I know, right?
- Also, Krillin explaining how literally everyone who has ever hit him, aside from Chi-Chi and Bulma, have been stronger than him, so he knows when someone is holding back.Krillin: ...And I know when someone's holding back...Trunks.
Trunks: ...Okay, I can explain.
Krillin: I don't think you can.
- Also, Krillin explaining how literally everyone who has ever hit him, aside from Chi-Chi and Bulma, have been stronger than him, so he knows when someone is holding back.
- Trunks doesn't trust his father to not blow up the planet.Trunks: (severely exasperated) FATHER, YOUR PRIDE ISN'T WORTH DESTROYING THE PLANET! COME ON!
Krillin: Way past the bargaining stage here...
- What sells this part is Trunks' line, making Vegeta's actions sound less like geocide and more like something mundane.
- The exchange after Vegeta launches his Final Flash and blows off Cell's arm.(Vegeta laughs)
Cell: (angry) You think this is funny?!
(Vegeta continues laughing)
Cell: You think this is FUNNY?!
(Vegeta still laughs)
Cell: It's not as funny... (mockingly) as your face.
(Vegeta stops laughing and Cell instantly regrows his arm)
- Krillin's reaction when he hits Cell with his Kienzan, and the whole thing just shatters.
- Like season 2 before, Cell makes references to Street Fighter at the very end.Cell: (after beating Vegeta and making him power down with a Death Cry Echo) K.O. I win. Perfect. (sees Trunks powering up) Oh. Here comes a new challenger...
- Also appropriate, because the episode went up on the TFS website the same day Street Fighter V released.
- Goku singing as he's getting food from the fridge.Goku: (to the tune of "Dragon Soul") ♪I like food cause it is yummy. I will put this in my tummy.♪
- "Don't break Popo's stuff", the sixth rule of Popo's training. Which Gohan and Goku broke. Goku repeats it as a Madness Mantra.
- Piccolo tells Bulma that Trunks is about to fight Cell.
- The fact that Trunks can apparently scream at the top of his lungs during his whole transformation sequence without pausing to breathe.Cell: Good lord! The lungs on that boy!
Krillin: You okay Trunks? You, uh, doing good on air there?
- As Trunks is powering up, the lighting around him accidentally strikes Krillin. The way Trunks apologizes afterwards shows that it was pretty intentional.Trunks: Definitely didn't do that because you spared the android, or anything.
Krillin: Well obviously....right?
- As Trunks is powering up, the lighting around him accidentally strikes Krillin. The way Trunks apologizes afterwards shows that it was pretty intentional.
- Cell's Lampshade Hanging of the long time the transformations take in this universe.Cell: You know! If I had a watch, I'd be looking at my wrist really condescendingly right now...
- Trunks attempts a Pre Ass Kicking One Liner against Cell while telling Krillin he won't need a Senzu, but doesn't realize that he gave Cell the perfect setup for his own.Krillin: Bad. Ass.Cell: Also accurate!
- Trunks gets Krillin to give Vegeta a Senzu Bean.Sixteen: Trunks! Senzu beans only heal physical damage. Only therapy will aid emotional trauma.
Cell: Oh, please. There's not a shrink qualified enough to deal with that hot mess. And speaking of shrink...
Krillin: Here it comes...
Cell: ...Krillin? Go kiss the prince's boo-boos. The big boys need to talk.
Krillin: (picking up Vegeta) Fine, whatever. Leave ya to it. Say goodbye, Vegeta.
Vegeta: (muffled, garbled moan)
- When Trunks declares he's going to make Cell pay for what he did to Vegeta, Cell just scoffs and insists it must have been catharsis-by-proxy then asks if Gohan knows.Trunks: Knows what?
Cell: That you let him die.
Trunks: ...I'm going to power up now.
Cell: I'd be disappointed if you didn't. ;)
- After the fight starts:Cell: I'm impressed! Behind all that angst and ridiculous hair, there's a real fighter!
Trunks: And behind all that insufferable smarm is a dead man!
Cell: Trunks...you couldn't fathom the amount of dead men behind me.
- Tien is outraged by how much Trunks was holding back. Piccolo assumes it's because the gap keeps widening, but it's actually because he could've easily killed 18, Cell or Vegeta.Piccolo: Why Vegeta—
Tien: Because I deserve something today!
- Sixteen cheers on Trunks.Android 16: Go, unreasonably buff bird!
- Goku, of all people, gives the scientific and mathematical reasons as to why the increased muscle advantage of the third grade of Super Saiyan is Awesome, but Impractical. Gohan can't believe what just happened.Goku: Whoop! Sorry, I was thinking about fighting.
- When Cell reveals the weakness of Trunks's new form, Android 16 tries to reassure him. It doesn't go well.Android 16: Trunks, do not worry! He is just playing you.
(Cell dodges every attack)
Android 16: Correction: he's been playing you.
- When Trunks screams why he can't hit Cell, Cell says it is because Trunks is green.Trunks: Wait, you mean—
Cell: No, not like me, you idiot. As in you're a novice, an amateur.
- Cell brings up various Callbacks to Goku's feats from before he was Trunks' age. Defeating the Red Ribbon Army, The forces of King Piccolo, and sending Boss Rabbit and his gang to the moon.
- The best part is that if you actually watch the YouTube video where Goku does send a rabbit to the moon, you'll find commentators expressing shock that no, Cell did not make that last one up.
- Cell mocks Trunks by beefing up and imitating his Daddy Issues.Cell: And the worst part of it is, that's form isn't even new. Watch.
Cell: (in a whiny voice) "Look at me. I'm Trunks. Please love me, daaad!"
Cell: See? Anyone can do it.
Trunks: ...that's a terrible impression.
Android 16: But not inaccurate.
Trunks: Why are you still here?!
- Cell's opinion of Vegeta's intelligence is low, but not quite as much as Trunks.Cell: For god's sake, I bet even your father can do it. He's just not stupid enough to try. And as we've seen today, that threshold is vast.
- Much like Sixteen, Cell thinks that killing Goku sounds like a fun time.Android 16: That still doesn't make us friends!
Cell: I'M TRYING, 16!
- Cell's And Then What? moment leads him to think of a way for the world to know his name. So he flies away with the parting line "Make sure to watch the news!" The last few seconds of the episode involve Trunks watching confusedly as Cell flies away... and then:Android 16: What channel?!
- The Stinger has Krillin try to make Vegeta feel better about his loss, and does succeed in making him laugh. Unfortunately, Vegeta stops laughing when Krillin pushes his luck too far by hinting that maybe he should retire.Vegeta: Where am I?! What happened?!
Krillin: You may have blacked out a little...
Vegeta: But I'm still alive! (putting on all his bravado) H-he must have realized his mistake and run away! (unconvincing chuckle)
Krillin: Dude, c'mon. It's just me.
Vegeta: (drops bravado) I... I don't get it. I trained so hard... (getting misty eyed) I reached a new level! And yet...!
Krillin: Trust me, man, I get you! I mean my neck's stiff from earlier.
Vegeta: (sniffles) Heh.
Krillin: I mean, if I had a dime for every I got my ass kicked, I might not be in crippling debt! (laughs)
Vegeta: (starts laughing heartedly)
Krillin: But if I had got a beatdown like that, man, I would probably hang up my gloves, my blue spandex...
Vegeta: (stops laughing) Hhnnn!
Krillin: ...And my ridiculously pointy hair! (laughs)
Vegeta: (Death Glare)
Krillin: (realizes that This Is Gonna Suck) Ha, ha, heeeey, you're not laughing any more...!
(Vegeta's fist flies right into Krillin's face; the Krillin Owned Count goes up to 36)
Krillin: (groans in pain) Can I get a dime for that?
- Chi-Chi bitching Gohan out in a dream and then suddenly becoming a nightmare when Cell's there? Pretty scary. Thankfully, Gohan's... reaction to his mother getting slapped to the ground helps with some of the nightmare fuel.Gohan: Oh, thank God — I mean OH MY GOD!
- Goku's been having the same dream as Gohan for the past week. Given the room is now covered with graffiti reading "All training and no play make Gohan a dull boy", Goku admits they might have been in there a little too long.
- Before Cell's arrival, the dream is actually pretty funny, with Chi-Chi's Take That! to politicians and Piccolo's ashamed face while he admits that Chi-Chi entered by overpowering him.
- Krillin and Vegeta find Trunks is not dealing well with his defeat at Cell's hands from last episode.Krillin: Aw geeze, he's taking it pretty rough.
Vegeta: It's pathetic. Find some honour in defeat, for God's sake!
Krillin: (under his breath) View must be great from that glass house of yours.
Krillin: (quickly) We should go check on him!
- And later, when Trunks laments that Cell didn't consider him important enough to kill:Vegeta: Sucks, doesn't i-- I mean, sucks to be you! Yeah, that was it...
- And later, when Trunks laments that Cell didn't consider him important enough to kill:
- The scene of Android 16 befriending Krillin.Krillin: Again, guys, come on. It's just me. Krillin. Everyone's friend.
Android 16: I would like more friends! I seem to have misplaced mine when Cell... Oh.
Trunks: You've got to be kidding me! I could never be friends with you!
Android 16: I was not speaking to you! I was speaking to the duck!
Krillin: Well, quack, quack, big guy! Any friend of 18's is a friend of mine! Let's get you all patched up!
Android 16: You are the pluckiest, Duck. Together we shall be the Bird and the B! The B stands for—
Krillin: (whispers excitedly) Bro-bot!
Android 16: ...Yes!
Trunks: What am I watching?
Vegeta: I don't know, but I hate it.
Trunks: Well, hopefully he doesn't try and screw this one.
Vegeta: Hah! No robo.
- Cell is meticulously setting up the arena for his Cell Games. There's just one problem.Cell: Ah, yes. The perfect place for my Cell Ga— (notices a single green tile among the gray ones) Son of an emerald whore. Starting again!
- What's funny is that if you look closely during the montage of creation, you can see the green tile flying among the grey tiles.
- Then he accidentally makes the arena circular. And the green tile's still there.Roshi: Cell's out there, and we have no idea what insidious plot he's brewing...
(Cell is standing over a circular ring)
Cell: How did all these squares make a circle?! I just— No. No. It's fine. It's fine. It doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me...it bothers me! It bothers me a lot! AND THAT ONE'S STILL GREEN!
- The third time he attempts to build an arena, he finds one tile in the middle that's only half as big as the others. He just gives up at this point.Cell: Finally! It is complete. Perfectly square, all fine marble white, and a full twenty-four by twenty— (notices half-tile, beat) Let it go, Cell. You have shit to do.
- The idea of Cell snapping a news reporter's neck with his bare hands on live TV isn't exactly amusing. What is, however, is Chiaotzu's reaction to it. Right in front of the rest of the main cast.Chiaotzu: Whoa-ho, brutal!
- But it's Cell's prior Pre-Mortem One-Liner that makes it more darkly hilariousCell: (as the newscaster gags) The following contains violence, coarse language and adult situations not suitable for minors. Viewer discretion is advised.
- But it's Cell's prior Pre-Mortem One-Liner that makes it more darkly hilarious
- When Vegeta comes back to Capsule Corp...Mrs. Briefs: Oh! Vegeta! It's been so long! How was space?
Vegeta: (trying to be cordial) Hello, MILF.
Mrs. Briefs: Oh, Veggie...I'm a grandmother now. Call me GILF!
Vegeta: (aside, to Trunks) Your culture is so confusing.
- And then Roshi shows up:Dr. Briefs: Just keep the houseguests to a minimum; we just got rid of Yajirobe and we barely have enough food to accommodate anyone—
(Bulma's ship touches down nearby)
Roshi: WHAT UP, BITCHES! WHERE MY GILF AT?!
Dr. Briefs: ...else.
- And then Roshi shows up:
- Trunks once again gets hit on by a relative, this time his grandmother. Luckily, Krillin is there to set the record straight.Krillin: Grandkid from the future. Leave the swinging for the park.
Mrs. Briefs: Phooey.
- Dr. Briefs is still hilariously racist, just slightly more sophisticated about it."I taught Bulma everything she knows, except the dangers of miscegenation, apparently."
- The projection of 16's mind: a series of bird GIFs over random bird pictures, including, Flappy Bird, Big Bird, and the Falconzord, all while "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen plays. Dr. Briefs tries turning it off... and instead gets a rather disturbing static image of Goku with Dr. Gero chanting "Kill Son Goku" over it set to the lovely tune of "My Heaven". Dr. Briefs' reaction is priceless.Dr. Briefs: Well then, Bird is the Word! (turns the other file back on)
- The gang all casually revealing they've died.Krillin: On the plus side, you're alive.
Trunks: Oh. THANKS FOR THE CONSOLATION.
Krillin: Hey, don't knock it. Sometimes you ain't so lucky.
Trunks: Wait a second, have all five of you died?!
Krillin Ohohho yeah. Chiaotzu and I twice. The first round was basically just Piccolo's dad being a dick.
Chiaotzu: Yep. Second time, I blew myself up trying to kill Vegeta's dumbass friend. Now he's out there making movies or some shit.
Trunks: Oh, wait, so how did Yamcha die?
Yamcha: (stutters in embarrassment)
Vegeta: Oh yes, go ahead, tell us how you died! I'll fact check.
Yamcha: On my feet, like a man.
Vegeta: Well, you're half right.
Roshi: If you're finished picking on Yamcha...
- This exchange:Android 16: What is that creature on your shoulder?
Dr. Brief: This? Well, this is my pussy cat.
Android 16: May I touch your pussy?
Dr. Brief: As long as you dont crush it.
Android 16: Hello, pussy cat.
(cat licks him)
Android 16: It is licking me now. Should I... lick the pussy?
Chi-Chi: (off-screen) Absolutely not!
- Chi-Chi is in the middle of her required "My son will not fight for the planet" rant, and Vegeta tries to chime in.Chi-Chi: I'm a fighter too, you know? How do you think I landed the strongest man on the planet?
Vegeta: (under his breath) Arguably.
Chi-Chi: Do not make me come over there, I will rip your world a-*BLEEP*ing-sunder.
Vegeta: (looks away with a nervous grunt)
- Let's note: Vegeta is afraid of Chi-Chi.
- Chi-Chi's threat.Chi-Chi: But if he fights and gets hurt, or God forbid dies, and any of you could have stopped it, there's no dragon in this universe that will save you from me.
Vegeta: (under his breath) Don't make me come over there.
- Krillin calls Gohan the third-strongest fighter he knows. Given there's four Saiyans, Vegeta takes issue.Vegeta: Who's the fourth?
- The Hetap commercial.Skinny guy: Is that the last Hetap?
Buff guy: Yeah, and it's all mine.
[sound of a gunshot]
Buff guy: Ahh! Ahh! Oh God! Oh Jesus, why?!
Narrator: Hetap... Come on, you've killed for less.
Vegeta: (thinking) That's not untrue. ..
- Trunks finally gets to check out country music, after it being nonexistent in his own worldTrunks: Did you know that country music is actually awful?
- Yamcha calls out Vegeta about being a total dick to the rest of the Z-Fighters. Unfortunately for Yamcha, he's not Tien.Yamcha: You know, if you're going to skulk around, you could at least try to not be a total dick about it.
Vegeta: Oh, you're right, allow me to try again. (Clears throat.) Hello Earthling, how's that gaping chest wound?
Yamcha: Just fine! How's your spine?
Vegeta: (beat) I'm giving you a five minute head start.
Yamcha: (In the same tone as before) Thank you. I'm going to need it. You're very fast.
- Bulma gets all motherly when she sees Future Trunks, safe after the fight with Cell. Unfortunately, her knowledge in that area is somewhat lacking between infant and adult. (This joke may fall flat for those in countries where eighteen is the legal drinking age.)Bulma: Do you need a snack, maybe a juice box?
Trunks: Mom, I'm eighteen.
Bulma: Oh, right. Um, stiff drink?
Trunks: Mom, still eighteen.
Bulma: Where is he? Where is he? I heard he's here, where's my baby?Mrs. Briefs: You're holding him, darling!Bulma: No, the big baby!Mrs. Briefs: Well, Vegeta's right over there, across from Trunks!
- Right before that, Bulma bursts in, looking for Trunks, while holding baby Trunks:
- Master Roshi watching an aerobics show while Oolong sits next to him.
- The aerobics girl's reaction to Cell bursting up through the floor in front of her—Aerobics Girl: AHHHH! You have great glutes!
- Cell announcing the Cell Games to the world.Cell: Ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls, and that technicolor rainbow in-between, I am Cell. You may remember me from the following cities.
(a list of cities Cell destroyed scrolls past to jaunty music)
- In a twisted bit of Black Comedy, one of the cities listed is Penguin Village.
- "Today, I'm making an announcement!"Krillin: Please be leaving the planet forever, please be leaving the planet forever, please be leaving the planet forever!
Cell: I am leaving the planet forever.
Cell: After I blow it up.
Krillin: OH, NO!
Cell: One of your planet's champions can best me in one-on-one combat!
Bulma: So, Goku then.
Vegeta: (offscreen) SHUT UP!
- "Kill your boss! Get a purge going, live a little!"
- "And much like Vegeta's mother, I will accept all comers."
- Cell inviting all his views to follow the #CellGames hashtag on Twitter. Fans sure did - it ended up trending in real life (and in a CMOA, some of those tweets even made it into the YouTube English (Canada) Gag Sub).Yamcha: (looking at his phone) Annnnnd he's already trending.
@sonic_hedgehog: And make Cell jealous of our Super Sonic swagger? Sounds good, but call our agent, Mr. N.
- In a meta example, Team Four Star tweeted the @sonic_hedgehog Twitter account and asked if he was going to participate. The response?
- Tag Team Champions of the WWE, The New Day are totally down though.
- Also counts as Nightmare Fuel: "Feel free to pray to your god, but spoilers... I won't be listening."
- Roshi changing the channel to porn right afterwards.Krillin: Roshi, what the hell?!
Roshi: He said one week! I'm usin' it!
- Possibly a(n unintentional) reference to his previous line, the Porn clip used is from the Hentai "Legend of the Pervert"
- And even funnier, if you look up Legend of the Pervert on porn video sites, sure enough there's people quoting Roshi in the comments.
- The fact that Nappa is Mr. Satan's agent, as The Stinger has him making the call to get him into the Cell Games.Nappa: Oh yeah, I saw it. I've already got my promo team on it. We'll have you on a plane tomorrow. You just do some push-ups, sit-ups, and pull plenty of buses...Champ.
- During the first part where the TV on the Lookout is zoomed in, a crawl about a certain pig runs across the bottom:ANTHROPOMORPHIC PIG WAS APPREHENDED TODAY WHILE PANTY-RAIDING A LOCAL COLLEGE SORORITY
- And as a Call-Back to the filler episode with Maron:WORLD WILDLIFE ORGANIZATION: "PAOZU TUNA EXTINCT IN THE WILD." "WE'VE NEVER SEEN THIS KIND OF FAUNA DEVASTATION BEFORE."
- Also during this broadcast, Piccolo is offended that Cell's threat of planetary annihilation has overshadowed his "father's" attempt to take over the world. Vegeta calls him out on how petty he's being. It doesn't last.Reporter: Over the last 13 hours, more than two dozen evacuation orders have been issued all over the globe. Thousands upon millions head for the countryside, including the endangered sasqatoad T. rexes, while others seek shelter. The world has never seen terror as real as it has today.
Piccolo: You're kidding me.
Tien: Yeah, right? Dinosaurs are still a thing. It's odd how we never talk about it. At least since we drove them out of the cities.
Piccolo: I'm talking about terror! "Never seen," my ass! My dad released every murderer out onto the streets and overthrew the world government!
Tien: Oh, right. And the king of the world is a blue cairn terrier.
Piccolo: It's bullshit!
Tien: I think it's pretty progressive.
Vegeta: Aww, look at the poor Namekian, lost and forgotten to time.
Reporter: Even the attack of the Saiyans five years ago pales in comparison to this overwhelming threat. As if comparing a cataclysm to a rampaging toddler.
Vegeta: Bullshit! We turned an entire city into a glass floor!
Piccolo: Aww, look at the poor Saiyan, lost and forgotten to time.
Vegeta: Watch it, Namekian, unless you wanna go right now! And I think we both know how our last fight went!
Piccolo: And I think we don't, because we've never fought.
Vegeta: I...wait...y-really? But then how did you—
Piccolo: Your dumbass friend.
Vegeta: Riiiight! Wow, we've never actually fought, that's so weird! (to Mr. Popo) Isn't that weird, black man?
Popo: Yeah...almost as weird as what's gonna happen if you call me that again!
Vegeta: (gawking, thinking) What IS he?!
- Considering his comments regarding humans, apparently what Popo found offensive about that wasn't that he was being called black, he was being called human.
- And as a Call-Back to the filler episode with Maron:
- When Gohan and Goku come out of the Time Chamber, Goku insults Piccolo and Vegeta before realizing they are just outside.Goku: Don't let slip just how much stronger we are. Otherwise, Vegeta will be all, "Oh, but my pride! Grr. I wish I were a carrot."
Gohan: That's not inaccurate.
Goku: Piccolo will probably just growl and grumble. Really, it's too bad we're out of Namekians for him to absorb. Then he'd be as strong as Vegeta.
Vegeta: (audibly fuming with rage)
Goku: Speaking of, did you know they never fought? Crazy, right? Oh, hey guys. What'd I miss?
Vegeta: Mock my pride...
Goku: Huh, what'd I tell ya? he's like a See 'n' Saiyan.
Vegeta: Imma kill 'im!
- The Overly Long Gag of Goku swallowing an entire bowl of noodles.Goku: I'm not pooping tonight.
- Goku narrowly avoids another demonstration of the pecking order.Goku: Imma need my threads, first. Yo, Mr. P! Hit me up.
Popo: Bitch, you're lucky you're endearing.
Goku: (dopey grin) He-heh.
- Android 16 listing all the reasons he wants to kill Son Goku, including his orange clothes and his stupid face.Goku: Good old orange. Really brings out my stupid face.
- Also when Bulma tries to get him to talk about something else.Sixteen: What is your favorite kind of bird?
Bulma: Um, penguins I guess.
- Also when Bulma tries to get him to talk about something else.
- Gohan's request to get a gi like Piccolo's is endearing...mostly...Nail: ...did our heart just skip a beat?
Kami: That is precious.
Piccolo: (through gritted teeth) SHUT. THE F*CK. UP.
- After Piccolo gives Gohan new clothes:Piccolo: Quick rundown: Doors are gonna be a little difficult at first. I suggest a forty-five degree angle.
- Goku still loves his instant transmission.Trunks: So, I don't mean to be that guy...
Vegeta: (in background) Oh, that's accidental...
Trunks: But there's a green, cyborg elephant in the room. Goku, are you or are you not stronger than Cell?
Goku: Good question. I'mma check.
Trunks: I'm sorry, check wh-
(Goku disappears with a pop)
- The sheer unadulterated audacity of the fact that Hetap is sponsoring the Cell Games. Even Cell thinks they're crazy for it!Cell: Look, I understand that you sponsor all forms of sporting events, but just so we're clear: you do realize that everyone dies if I win, right? (phone chatter) Yes? (more phone chatter) Yeah, I guess that is a win-win for you, isn't it? Alright then, it's officially the Cell Games: Presented by Hetap!
Goku: I'd kill for a Hetap!
Cell: (spinning his head around so quick his earpiece flies off) WHOA! JESUS!
Goku: Nope, actually, it's Goku.
- More evidence that Cell ''gets'' Goku:Cell: You should be (intimidated), because in it (the arena), we shall decide the fate of not only this boring blue ball of dirt and water, but the entire galaxy. So you best bring your A-game, Son Goku, because the stakes have never been higher. (Evil Laugh)
Goku: (happy gasp)
Cell: (cutting him off) And before you say it, the prize isn't actually steak.
Goku: I wasn't thinking that.
Cell: Yes you were.
- The actual 'prize' for winning the Cell Games:
- More evidence that Cell ''gets'' Goku:
- Goku and Cell have some more interactions, in which Cell's innuendo goes completely over Goku's head, and Goku's way of thinking is easily understood by Cell.Goku: See you in a week!
Cell: It's a date.
Goku: Yeah, I know. That's how days work. (teleports out)
Cell: (fondly) I'm gonna miss him when he's dead.
- Trunks gushes to Gohan how much of a badass Future!Gohan was.Gohan: I died, didn't I?
- Goku's Even the Guys Want Him moment with Cell.Goku: Wow, okay, yeah, he's pretty strong. Also, really handsome. Like, why did none of you warn me he would be so handsome?
Piccolo: But is he stronger than you?
Goku: If he's as strong as he is handsome, then whoa boy. I mean, I'd never cheat on Chi-Chi, but...
Goku: So handsome.
- Like in canon, Goku and Gohan are staying in their Super Saiyan forms for an extended period of time, and like canon, Gohan explains it's because their bodies have gotten so used to the form that it costs then no energy to maintain. However unlike canon, Goku reveals they have forgotten how to turn it off.Gohan: Truthfully, it's very concerning.
- Vegeta refers to Mr. Popo as "Black Man", something Popo warns him not to do again, which he does after Piccolo goes into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and Trunks ditches them. Popo hurls Vegeta off the lookout in retaliation while Korin and Yajirobe comment on it.Yajirobe: See? I told you it would happen.
Korin: 'Twas never a matter of "if" *Takes a sip of his tea while Vegeta hits the ground with a groundshaking thud* only "when".
- Just like in canon, Chi-Chi is pissed that Goku took Gohan into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber (and thinks their Super Saiyan mastery is bleached hair). Chi-Chi is going to be very specific as to how Goku makes it up to her.Chi-Chi: He said one week. And I'm using it.
Goku: Wh-what are you—
(Smash Cut to very rigorous coitus late at night, complete with Goku blowing a hole in his roof with the Kamehameha)
- Also, the fact that the music in the background is the same theme that normally accompanies Cell or Freeza. Kinda helps hammer home how terrifying Chi-Chi is.
- Chi-Chi's Let Me Get This Straight... moment just before.Chi-Chi: Goku... did you take our son into a magical reality outside of space-time, for an entire year, bleach his hair without my consent, and suddenly come home demanding birthday cake?
Goku: Well, if it makes you feel any better, it's not bleach...
Chi-Chi: It doesn't.
Goku: ...Are you upset?
Chi-Chi: No. Because I know how you're going to pay me back.
Gohan: Mom, what do you mean?
Chi-Chi: Krillin... would you take Gohan out for a few hours?
Krillin: Gohan, we're going to Kame House.
- Kami and Nail try to convince Piccolo to use his Clothes Beam to make his own clothing line.Kami: Seriously, you can materialize clothing from your very being.
Nail: You wouldn't have to spend anything on supplies, manufacturing...
Piccolo: I'm focusing on training.
Kami: You should be focusing on what you're going to do once Cell's defeated.
Piccolo: Fine, but what would we even call this hypothetical clothing line of ours?
Nail & Kami: Big Green Threads.
Piccolo: ...we're gonna have to workshop that name...
Dream!Cell: I think it has a perfect ring to it!
Piccolo: Yeah, well you're big and green! You have a bias!
Nail: Wait, are we hallucinating?
Kami: How long have we been in here?
Dream!Cell: 3 days.
(Smash Cut to Piccolo opening the chamber door)
Piccolo: I'm out.
Vegeta: I call dibs!
- Gohan reads the opening disclaimer, while also quite uncomfortable about a suspicious pounding noise in the next room...
- The episode starts off with Goku being uncharacteristically introspective and open with Krillin. Until it's revealed he's not talking about the upcoming Cell Games, but instead the marathon sex sessions with Chi-Chi.
- After Gohan tells Goku Chi-Chi wants him to go back to the house, Krillin... misunderstands his intentions.Goku: Krillin?
Krillin: Look, if you're asking me to tag in I'm willing, but—
Goku: Wha— No! Catch more fish while I'm gone!
Krillin: Oh, duh, of course... Like that'd ever work.
Goku: Yeah, nooo, it— (beat) But if you had a wig...
- Mr. Satan going all Brock Lesnar on Cell. Complete with Product Placement.Mr. Satan: So after I eat my Jimmy Johns, drink my Hetap, and f*ck MY HOT ASIAN WIFE, I'm gonna squash you. Like the bug you are.
- Of course they have to bring up Mr. Satan's name.Yamcha: So do they know what's going on with his name or...
Crowd: HAIL SATAN! HAIL SATAN! HAIL SATAN!
Yamcha: Ok, yeah they know.
- Goku and Mr. Satan apparently have something in common.Goku: Guys, I need help with my hot Asian wife!
Chi-Chi: Who told you you could leave the bedroom?!
Goku: (whispering) Guys, don't tell her I'm here!
- Krillin and Yamcha lament having missed the last tournament Mr. Satan won. Why?Krillin and Yamcha: Prize money.
- The poor reporter getting pressured into interviewing Cell.
- Cell telling the reporter the whole story of how he was born. While he claims that he is going to give shorter version without filler, he could actually give Ted Mosby a run for his money.
Cell: Enter Vegeta. Now, [chuckles] strap yourself in for this cartoon character.
- The story begins with the very first chapter of Dragon Ball: "Now, our story begins, as many stories often do, with a young girl shooting a little boy in the face."
- A cut away later, Cell gets to the "twist" that "the boy was an alien the whole time", indicating that Cell had managed to recount the events of either all or at least most of the entire original series.
- When the reporter asks him what happened to the brother, Cell nonchalantly explains he died. He skipped Raditz's fight.
- Hell, the very fact that Cell successfully recapped the entirety of Dragon Ball up to that point.
- Cell bringing up Vegeta is hilarious.
- When Cell's recap covers the arc in which Vegeta gets killed by Freeza, he mentions how Vegeta started crying at the end. The reporter's comment is, "Wow, like a bitch!"
- Near the end, the reporter questions if it was neccesary to know about "Fake Namek" or "The Maron girl". Cell justifies this as "World building".
- The reporter posing one last question: "How did you know about the parts you weren't there for?"
- Cell finally killing the reporter for not calling him Mr. Perfect Cell.
- During the whole episode, Goku tells Krillin about how Chi-Chi is draining him, to the point Goku himself is the one thinking in innuendos.
- One time, Goku talks to Krilin about how Chi-Chi is making him beat his previous "Nine-Times" record, yelling "Go for Ten!!"note
- Krillin suggests that Goku take a break and sneak out to "recharge his batteries."
- When he arrives to The Lookout:
- Goku tries to bail out of the house so he can rest and bring Gohan with him, because if Chi-Chi asks Gohan where he is he'll tell.
- Piccolo attempts to make small talk with Trunks, with Kami and Nail commenting on how bad he is at socializing.Piccolo: So, uh, do you hate your dad?
Kami: Wow. You were not wrong.
Trunks: You know, I wouldn't say I hate him. I guess I'm mostly just disappointed. He's the single most frustrating man I've ever met. Heh...but you know dads, right?
Piccolo: Goku killed mine.
Trunks: (gawks) Oh...geez, um...sorry, I—
Nail: Oh, perfect! He's just as bad as you are!
- When Krillin asks Piccolo about his training in the Time Chamber, Piccolo just says he doesn't want to talk about it.
- Gohan suddenly realizes what not having Dragon Balls really means for their fight against Cell, to which Trunks expresses heartfelt sympathy.Trunks: Oh yeah, that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry. note
Gohan: It's alright. We'll manage.
Trunks: ...I can't be mad at you.
- Piccolo dodging the question about how he can be a Warrior Clan member and Kami can be a Dragon Clan member if they're both technically the same person.
- What does Piccolo call a group of Namekians? A cornucopia. What does Mr. Popo call a group of humans? An infestation.
- The glorious return of Dende. (just to specify, unlike the original version, Goku basically kidnaps him. Also instead of intentionally seeking him out he seems to have just grabbed a random Namekian.)Piccolo: Point is, without a Namekian from the Dragon Clan we aren't getting any Dragon Ba—
(Goku instant transmissions back with a terrified Dende)
Dende: (terrified high pitched noise)
Goku: Is this a dragon-whatsit?
Dende: (panicked) Where am I?! Who are you?! Where's my family?! (notices Gohan, complete with Sexophone and Gaussian Blur and immediately calms down) Hey.
- Dende goes very heavy on the flirtation this time around, but the high point has to be him giving a Wolf Whistle at Gohan's physique (with a Call-Back to Lord Slug Abridged for good measure).Piccolo: (Offscreen) Ow!Dende: That hurt me more than it hurt you.
- It's extra funny because Gohan clearly doesnt notice.
- Dende goes very heavy on the flirtation this time around, but the high point has to be him giving a Wolf Whistle at Gohan's physique (with a Call-Back to Lord Slug Abridged for good measure).
- The files in Android 16's database are mostly call backs, with some hilarious bits thrown in:cmd_red_xxx (Commander Red XXX).
K1_sn_gku (Kill Son Goku)
The Murder.exe file from Android 19.
- Even after the severe drama bomb that is the video file of Gero's son's last message, there is some Black Comedy afterward when it turns out Gero still had a bomb implanted in the android he modelled after his own son. At least he's consistent.
- Dr. Briefs is in full Dirty Old Man mode in this scene. He thinks said video file is probably porn, even betting 5000 zeni against Bulma that its interracial. Too bad he lost.Bulma: By the way, you owe me 5000 zeni.
Dr. Briefs: Ah, daughter of a bastard!
- Earlier, Bulma expressed disgust when her father initially brought up the possibility of interracial porn. His response is to point out that she had unprotected sex with an alien.
- Dende gets up to speed.Dende: Ok, let me just clarify what has happened. That asshole
Goku: Name's Goku!
Dende: literally kidnapped me from across the entire galaxy with neither my knowledge or consent just so you could make me mystic you up a new set of Dragon Balls because you are all a cavalcade of f**k-ups.
- Then he asks the big question:Dende: And what do I get out of this? Gonna make me your king?
Krillin: Well, we can't do that; King's a dog. We can make you God though!
Dende: What the f**k's a GodI mean, what the f**k's a dogI mean, what the f**k?
- Then there's his response to Popo's explanation.Popo: As the creator of the Dragon Balls, you shall assume the throne of Kami, Guardian of this planet. Nobody's thankful, there are no days off and no-one ever visits.
Dende: (disgusted tone) Ugh, sounds like being a parent.
- Then he asks the big question:
- Dende unfavourably comparing Shenron to Porunga.Dende: Wow, that's your dragon? Our dragon would literally wear him like a scarf!
- Dende awakens the dragon:Krillin: Man, all this lore we're learning today! We even get to see a new dragon being made! This is gonna be awe—
Dende: Hey dragon! Wake the f*** up! It's already past noon, get your life together!
- Turns out spending time in the Time Chamber alone is a really bad idea.Vegeta: They called me crazy. They all called me crazy for letting him achieve his perfect form. Well, guess what! When I'm going to get out of here, I'm going to be so much stronger. No one will be able to stop me! Especially Cell! Right, Nappa?
(cut to a volleyball with a crude drawing of Nappa's face on it holding on a broom which falls down)
Vegeta: How HOW DARE YOU!
(cut to Vegeta outside the chamber)
Vegeta: (his clothing bloody and his clothing and armor torn) Showed him.
- When Vegeta walks out, he's noticeably battered, complete with Clothing Damage. To reiterate: Vegeta took that much damage from fighting a volleyball and a broom.
- Even funnier, Popo turned the dial so the Time Chamber is in synch with the rest of the world. That means Vegeta went insane in three days' time. His justification?Gohan: You can do that? Why did you do that?
Popo: Because f*ck 'im.
- When Mr. Popo states that going in the Time Chamber alone is a bad idea, Piccolo looks concerned. Guess who else started hallucinating in three days (even if he did have mental company)?
- Goku apparently didn't know why Chi-Chi was having so much sex, in a 55-episode long Brick Joke.Goku: Bulma! Sex makes babies!
(Baby!Trunks coos in a nearby crib)
Bulma: I'm well aware
- After Goku disappears once he explains they have Dragon Balls again, which she never even knew they lost, Bulma goes right back to work as if nothing had happened. Then he pops back in to mention Chi-Chi is pregnant, and she takes that in stride too.
- Just think about it from Bulma's perspective. She's working on 16, with her dad giving an Orphaned Punchline for a dirty joke apparently, then out of nowhere, Goku instant transmissions right in, telling her that sex apparently makes babies. Having known him for a good portion of her life, she just takes his exclamation in stride
- After Goku disappears once he explains they have Dragon Balls again, which she never even knew they lost, Bulma goes right back to work as if nothing had happened. Then he pops back in to mention Chi-Chi is pregnant, and she takes that in stride too.
- Dende being perfectly fine with the fact that people will commit atrocities in his name (as God), and that he can choose to ignore everyone's prayers. One gets the feeling he and Popo are going to get along very well.
- Gohan and Dende discuss what to call him now that he's basically god.Mr. Popo: Well, I'm going to call you Little Green.
Dende: (glares) Your funeral.
Mr. Popo: (cracks a smile) I like you.
- And then Dende beats the crap out of Krillin for presuming he can.
- Cell's reaction to Mr. Satan's arrival.Cell: Maaaaybe shouldn't have made this an open invite.
- And then Mr. Satan takes the time to plug his own merch and cut a long-winded promo against Cell.Cell: Definitely shouldn't have made this an open invite.
- And then Mr. Satan makes the mistake of trying to get a retort from Cell. What follows is a verbal Curb-Stomp BattleCell: You look like an extra from a budget porno flick. The kind where everyone gets tested afterwards. Even the cameraman.
Satan: Oh. Um, you're
Cell: Did they find you in the subway? Were you homeless? Did you get your start in Bum Fights?
Satan: This is getting oddly personal.
Cell: Do you have any actual friends? Any relationships at all that aren't about your money or your position?
Satan: [weakly] I have a daughter.
Cell: Oh, that poor orphan.
Satan: C-can we cut to commercial?
- Anyone who predicted that Goku would cheer on Mr. Satan was completely correct. It makes his inevitable defeat even more hilarious.
- Mr. Satan is a Flat-Earth Atheist who keeps insisting all the fantastical stuff going on is just special effects, culminating in a Take That! to the infamous Bowdlerization of the show's first English dub when a news helicopter is destroyed.Satan: Obviously, that was just an unmanned, remote-controlled, cargo robot with a voice recording
[a charred corpse (implied to be Caroni from what little hair is left) lands right at his feet]
Satan: and filled with fake cadavers for added effect! I'll give 'em points for effort, though.
- And then Mr. Satan takes the time to plug his own merch and cut a long-winded promo against Cell.
- Android #16 finally gets to meet Goku. #16 suddenly has the chance to kill Goku and flubs it because he starts acting like your typical lovestruck anime heroine, and gets stuck singing Foreigner's "I Have Waited So Long" inside his own head. He doesn't even make his request until The Stinger!#16: Hellomynameis16mayIkillyou?!
Goku: (to Krillin) Hold on a second. (to 16) What did you say?!
#16: (looks back at Goku) nothing.
- Making it funnier is that time doesn't slow for this so from Goku's point of view, 16 is just silently gazing at him, giving Goku the impression he's a stoic badass.
- Jimmy Firecracker in all his hammy glory.Jimmy Firecracker: Jimmy Firecracker here, live from the Cell Games (presented by Hetap). Because apparently nobody else would take this job. But don't worry about me, because Jimmy Fire crack corn and he don't give a fuck. He'll take any job, he'll take every job, he'll take your job. And speaking of jobs, nobody else is here yet. Will Jimmy Firecracker have to get in that ring? Does Jimmy Firecracker gotta come down there and slap that perfect jawline?! [car drives up] It looks like Cell is saved the wrath of Jimmy Firecracker as his first opponent has arrived.
- Tien apparently flipped off Vegeta as he was heading to the arena, which Yamcha attributes to their "mutually sustained hate-boner".
- Also they take a moment once again to point out that Yamcha pretty much cowered. Also considering that Yamcha has even more reasons to hate Vegeta personally than Tien.Tien: Vegeta passed us earlier; flipped us off. So, that was a good way to start the morning...
Yamcha: Yeah, but we totally flipped him off back.
Tien: I flipped him off back. You just waved and laughed nervously.
Yamcha: Look, I don't have your mutually-sustained hate-boner for the guy, OK?
Tien: I don't have a "Hate-Boner" for him.
Yamcha: Dude, it's a pretty hateful boner.
- Also they take a moment once again to point out that Yamcha pretty much cowered. Also considering that Yamcha has even more reasons to hate Vegeta personally than Tien.
- Vegeta barely talks this episode but what he does say shows that, Tranquil Fury aside, he's still Vegeta.
- When the Z-Fighters finally show up, the only person Cell's actively venomous towards is Tien. He hasn't forgotten the Shin Kikohou after all this time.Tien: Ki-ko-how ya doin'?
Cell: (nettled) Perfect.
- He then moves on to Yamcha.
- Mr. Satan steals one of Vegeta's lines:Mr. Satan: I AM THE HYPE!
Vegeta: Kill him!
- Mr. Satan's inevitable, humiliating, hilarious defeat is made even worse. He hit the mountain much quicker and leaves a blood smear from his impact. To make matters worse for him, the whole thing was broadcast to everyone in the world so they could see exactly how utterly effortless his defeat was.Random Spectator: (beat) WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!
- Gohan and Krillin sum up the entire series while at the same making fun of Mr. Satan breaking a rock over his head for no reason:Krillin: If we're lucky, it'll be that quick with this Satan guy, uh?
Gohan: Krillin, people are dying and we're just watching.
- Speaking of Mr. Satan breaking the rock over his head, this version of events makes the whole business even sillier. At least in the original series, that stunt was one of Mr. Satan's poorly-founded attempts to impress and intimidate the crowd. But here? He just does it randomly for no reason, without a single comment. Really sells just how flat-out bonkers this Mr. Satan is.
- Right from the beginning, after Jimmy Firecracker announces the predictable outcome of the last fight, the population riots. And then we cut back to Cell Games with Vegeta laughing his ass off. Also, Mr. Satan asks if he managed to kill Cell moments after regaining consciousness.
- Vegeta's furious about Mr. Satan's survival.Vegeta: One thing. I wanted one thing today.Piccolo: What about killing Cell?Vegeta: Would you believe me if I said this was more important?Tien: I'd be shocked otherwise.
- Mr. Satan's rationalization hits new heights as he declares that the reason Cell was able to smack him face first into a mountainside was magnets under the ring.
- A subtle but just as hilarious second joke comes immediately after Mr. Satan declares, "Magnets" when Jimmy Firecracker replies, "How do those work?"
- And then his explanation for Cell duplicating is just "mirrors" not even bothered to elaborate.
- When Goku steps up immediately after Cell rings out Mr. Satan, Cell questions the decision, claiming it doesn't seem like Goku to go straight in without letting everyone else get beaten first.Goku: Well, I mean, I already waited a week, so I guess I could wait a couple more minutes
Cell: Nonono, this is good! (Call my bluff ) No, I'm more than happy to skip the hors-d'oeuvres and dive straight into the main course.
Goku: (grins) Now you're speaking my language.
- And later, when they're powering up:
- When Goku starts to power up cell makes a quick dig at both Vegeta and Trunks.Cell: Holy crap, Prince! Do you feel that?
Vegeta: F(beep) off!
Cell: And he didn't even have to buff up like some 'roiding angsty child!
Trunks: (angrily) Urrgh!
- Afterwards they go right back to their Double Entendre's. In fact, bluntly put, the entire pre-fight dialouge Goku and Cell share is gay as fuck.
- Goku manages to knock Cell out of the ring, Yamcha yells in happiness
only for Cell to stop himself just before he hits the ground. Yamcha only gives a dejected, "Oh." Krillin even lampshades it!Yamcha: I just have hope okay. Is that so wrong?
Tien: The fact you have any hope left in your life is your most admirable quality.
Yamcha: Huh. Thanks, man.
Cell: Yamcha, for the love of god, don't thank him.
- Cell then asks if Goku would really be happy with a ring out and Goku says that's how he's beaten Tien, Piccolo and his wife. The media sees this as Goku beating his wife which Goku doesn't understand and just makes it so much worse. Even Chi-Chi has to admit it sounds pretty bad.Goku: It really wasn't much of a fight. One hit and she just went down. Then we got married, I put a baby in her and now she just says at home, cooks me dinner and raises our kid.
Chi-Chi: Y'know... when he puts it that way
- Cell then asks if Goku would really be happy with a ring out and Goku says that's how he's beaten Tien, Piccolo and his wife. The media sees this as Goku beating his wife which Goku doesn't understand and just makes it so much worse. Even Chi-Chi has to admit it sounds pretty bad.
- Gohan also proceeds to tempt fate when he admits that he's glad that he doesn't go to public school.
- When they have trouble keeping up (except for Gohan):Krillin: Wow. Saiyans; am I right?
Trunks: Erh yeah?
Krillin: Ah shit, was that racist?
- There's something hilarious about the fact that Goku and Cell's fight is backed by a remix of "We are Number One". Cell even briefly hums it during the fight!
- This remix of "We are Number One" to be precise. It's entitled "We are Number One (But It's Perfect)".
- Cell hyping up his Multiform technique.Cell 1: But speaking of academics
Cell 2: It's time to take you, Goku
Cell 3: To Perfect University.
Cell 4: We'd say 'take you to school'
Cell 1: But I feel we're far beyond the basics.
Goku: ...Doesn't that make it "P.U."?
Cells: And we love that you got that.
- Piccolo's halfway through getting mad at Goku for not knowing the original name of the Special Beam Cannon when he belatedly discovers he doesn't remember how it's pronounced either.Piccolo: Oh, COME ON, Goku! It's the Makakas Ma-Kan-a-ka Madak
Nail and Kami: Makankosappo!
Piccolo: THAT ONE!
Cell 1: MA
Cell 2: KANKO
Cell 3: SA
Cell 4: CANNON!
- After he seemingly kills Goku, Cell takes some time make a quip that tempts fate.Cell: After everything, I killed him with his own technique. Hmph. Ain't that a kick in the he— (Goku kicks him in the back of the head)
- Jimmy Firecracker interviewing Mr. Satan after he gets back up.Jimmy Firecracker: Mr. Satan, did you die? If so, you have officially beaten Jesus's respawn time.
- The random spectator that replies "That makes sense!" to Mr. Satan's Flat-Earth Atheist rationalizations, if only for the fact that viewers of TeamFourStar's gaming videos will recognize the voice as Grant. All that's missing is the soundboard clip of "Fuck you, Grant!"
- When Tien reminds Goku that he's also a world martial arts champion, Goku wonders if it still counts since he beat Tien.Tien: Of course it does!
Vegeta: Does it really, though, Triclops?
Tien: And how many tournaments have you won?
Vegeta: I dunno, how many planets have you blown up?
Tien: None. How many Gokus have you beaten?
- In The Stinger, Gohan and Krillin discuss what happens to their energy beams after they wind up firing them into space (as Goku teleported out of the way of Cell's Kamehameha). Gohan suggests they'd keep going forever until they hit something, provided they didn't break down along the way. One thousand years into the future, the Arlians have gotten themselves to a sustainable population, only for Cell's Kamehameha to explode their planet all over again.
- When questioned how could Cell and Goku be engulfed in flames, Satan explains it with fire-retardant clothes and protective gels, much like one stuntman his movies. A late stuntman.Jimmy Firecracker: What happened to him?
Mr. Satan: AIDS.
- And then we have the advice to use condoms and not sharing needles.
- Goku calls Gohan to explain the "menage-a-mois" Pun. His answer earns him a "nerd!" from Cell. All four of him.
- Goku doing some math.Goku: Looks like 4 divided by one is just one!
- Gohan tries to correct him, then admits to Piccolo he knows it's useless.
- The Z Warriors point out none of Goku's moves are original; when he tries to bring up the Spirit Bomb, King Kai warns him that he is watching and he better not try.Goku: Oh, hey, King Kai! Quick question: did I learn the Kaioken on my own?
King Kai: my f*cking name is in it.
- As Cell immediately begins charging a Kamehameha, Goku gasps "That's Yamcha's move!" despite it just being pointed out that Roshi created it. For extra hilarity remember that Yamcha is one the member of the gang that isn't part of Cell's DNA to begin with, meaning it could never be his move to begin with.
- Dende can't concentrate on seeing the fightDende: Me-dammit, I wanna watch this stupid fight!
Popo: Tell me - what thoughts are clouding your mind?
Gohan (in Dende's thoughts): Hey Dende. Could you put this lotion on my back and/or butt?
Dende: ...God stuff.
Popo: Worry not. All we really need is a little green
Dende: I specifically told you not to call me that!
Popo: (holding up a joint) I'm not!
Dende: ...(smirks) Yo.
- Jimmy Firecracker commentating on Goku and Cell's Super Speed battle. It shows the two going at it until the camera pans over the apparently empty arena.Jimmy Firecracker: My God What feats of incomparable skill and might! What power! What speed! WHAT A BATTLE is what I'd be saying if they were in the ring. Where are they?
Jerry: Maybe they're moving at speeds too fast for the human eye? I could try using the high shutter camera-
Mr. Satan: Jerry? You're a terrific camera guy, but a lousy martial artist. Nobody's that fast. They're just using camouflage. Like the Predator. Or Harry Potter.
(They all flinch as the shockwaves from Goku and Cell fighting bounce all over the sky above them)
Jimmy Firecrack: Harry Potter, sir?
Mr. Satan: My daughter's a big fan.
- Jimmy Firecracker asks Android 16 if he has anything to say to the audience:Android 16: I want to murder Son Goku.
Jimmy Firecracker: Well, you've heard it here first, folks.
Random Spectator: Yeah, f*ck Goku!
- Krillin makes a quip about Cell blowing up the ring.Krillin: Looks like there's a hole in the ring! (laughs)
Krillin: Let me cope!
- Just before Cell blows up the ring:Cell: Let's slip into something more comfortable.
Goku: Wait, I'm confused. Are you asking me to get naked? Because I'm not gonna say no, but I shouldn't say yes.
- Just before Cell blows up the ring:
- Jerry the Cameraman asks a very good question regarding what has become a hazardous job given that Cell is blasting the area like there's no tomorrow.Jerry: Sir, what's our life insurance policy?
Jimmy Firecracker: Same as our ethics policy!
Jerry: (literally, and quite understandably, shaking in his boots) Then I'm real glad I don't have a family!
- Cell compliments Goku on standing up to him for so long:
- The Running Gag of Mr. Satan's increasingly implausible reasoning for how the events in the ring are being faked, ending with him complimenting Jimmy Firecracker for following his thread of logic.Jimmy Firecracker: God as my witness. It looks like that orange hillbilly has exploded the top of Cell! Mr. Satan, do you have any explanations.
Mr. Satan: Well if I were a betting man and I am, it's a serious problem they combined the lasers and the mirrors with C4 charges
Jimmy Firecracker: And switched the body out in the ensuing chaos!
Mr. Satan: Now you're thinkin' like a Satanist, Jimmy!
- After Goku manages to hit Cell with a Kamehameha point blank and blows away his entire upper body, it (briefly) looks like they've won.
- Unfortunately for all of them, even having his entire upper body blown up isn't enough to put Perfect Cell down and he immediately hops back up and regrows his entire upper body before he can be timed out.Cell: All right, time! Timeout! Time right the hell out!
Goku: How did you—?
Cell: You weren't here for this, but TL;DR, Piccolo's cells.
Piccolo: Okay, I am...90% sure I can't do that.
Cell: (glaring at Piccolo) We'll figure that out later!
- Before his healing, Goku asks Krillin for a 10 count on Cell. Krillin gets to "One" before Cell pops back on his feet, good as new, and Krillin lets out the most terrified "Two" imaginable.
- The simple fact that after being startled and confused by Goku's Instant Transmission ever since he saved Tien and Piccolo it's not until this instant that Cell's indignation peaks and is finally ready to ask about it.Cell: In the meantime what I really want to know is how you keep popping in and out of reality!
- Goku explains to Cell how he got his Instant Transmission ability:
- Mr. Satan just running out of excuses for what he's seeing.Jimmy Firecracker: Mr. Satan can you make heads or tails of this, because right now I'm more confused than a homeless man under house arrest.
Mr. Satan: First off, I find that offensive!
Jimmy Firecracker: Why?
Mr. Satan: Secondly! Uh I don't wanna give away all the trade secrets. Otherwise, what would be left for the kids, Jimmy? What would be left for the kids?
- Mr. Satan finding the homeless man comment offensive may be a Call-Back to Episode 57, where Cell asked him if he was homeless and started out doing bum fights, implying that Cell may have actually been right about that.
- While watching the match, Master Roshi is disappointed to see Bulma's brought her baby with her. When Bulma asks if it's a problem...Roshi: (reluctantly) nah, it's fine.
Turtle: He is legally obligated to inform you that he is
Roshi: TURTLE, I'VE WATCHED HER POOP. she knows what I'm about.
- As Goku gets fatigued the pragmatic Trunks wonders why Krillin doesn't give Goku a senzu bean because, you know, the world's at stake. Vegeta pop in gives an impassioned speech on Goku's Saiyan pride. While Trunks offhandedly snarks at him.Trunks: Okay, guys, if you're bothered by cheating, either loosen your moral code or stop hinging the fate of the world ON DEATHMATCHES!
Vegeta: I can't believe you're my son.
Trunks: Hey, you said it, not me.
Vegeta: Kakarot isn't like you. He's a full blooded Saiyan warrior! He'd throw that senzu bean back in your face. Because it's not the world that's at stake
Trunks: I'm pretty sure it is
Vegeta: It's his Saiyan Pride! He'll see the end of this fight without any of our help, even if it kills him.
Goku: (powers down) I give up.
Vegeta: I'LL KILL HIM!
- Goku suddenly gives up in the middle of the fight, and congratulates Cell on his victory.Cell/Vegeta: Every word you just spoke has made me violently angry! Oh great! Now I'm agreeing with Vegeta/Cell! Look what you made me do!
- Complete with Cell calling him Kakarot.
- Goku's response to Cell being enraged at Goku for forfeiting the fight.
- Crossing with Nightmare Fuel, Cell reaching the logical extreme of his Memetic Molester status; he talks to Goku the way an abusive partner might talk to their significant other, referring to him as "the greatest fight of his life", destroying the arena in order to "put on something more comfortable", getting defensive and threatening when Goku surrenders (disbelieved stammering and all), and effectively treating Gohan as a combination of a quick replacement and a prank on Goku's part.
- After giving up his fight with Cell, Goku is about to announce who will be taking his place, and that person is:Goku: Mr. Satan! Get out here, you!
Mr. Satan: (off-screen) Diarrhea!
Goku: Well, shoot. Original plan, then. Gohan! Get out here!
- The lead-up to this is even better, with Cell trying to guess who his opponent is.Cell: Okay, who is it? Is it the Prince? No, it couldn't be. I don't even take my own sloppy-seconds. The boy? Hardly, he looks like he's about ready to crush coal into diamonds with his sphincter. Oh, could it be Tenshinhan? Please tell me it's Tenshinhan.
Yamcha: Man, it's like a hate-boner triangle.
- And once Gohan's revealed as his opponent.
- The lead-up to this is even better, with Cell trying to guess who his opponent is.
- Gohan's reaction:Gohan: I'm going to have to politely ask you to back the HFIL up! What. In Dende's name, are you doing?
- Piccolo, again, being a better father to Gohan than Goku.Krillin: Goku, we're not gonna tell you how to be a parent right now—
Piccolo: I AM!
- Chi-Chi gets REALLY furious when she sees that Goku has sent their son to battle Perfect Cell.
- Cell agrees to fight Gohan.Cell: Fine. Goku, I'll play along with this little joke. But I want you to know: While I'm busy pounding your son... I'll be thinking of you the entire time.
- After Gohan (very, very, veeeeeery reluctantly) agrees to fight Cell, Piccolo proceeds to give Goku a massive What the Hell, Hero?.Piccolo: Which one was it Goku? Which concussion did you suffer that made you think any of this was a good idea?!
Goku: Piccolo just watch. You're going to see amazing things out there.
Piccolo: What's amazing about watching your 11-year-old son get murdered?!
Goku: Gohan might be 11 years old, but he's also like, I dunno, a hundred times stronger than I was at that age.
Goku: He's been keeping pace with us since he was a baby. I mean, you should know, you kidnapped him.
Goku: And after spending that year alone with him, I know more than anyone that he's going to
Goku: (turns around) What?!
(Goku sees a helpless Gohan being punched repeatedly, not to mention brutally, in the face by Cell)
Cell: Thinkin' of you, Goku!
- Prior to this, Gohan's thinking that he might have an advantage due to Cell being tired from fighting Goku. Then Goku tosses Cell a Senzu bean.
- In The Stinger, we see a young Videl watching Gohan enter the fight, and she comments on how sweet his hair looks. She also has a Harry Potter poster in the background.
All Three Parts
- Each part gets its own title that references cells and details what happens involving Cell.
Part One: Mitosis
- Picking up where the previous episode left off, Goku isn't worried by Cell repeatedly punching a helpless Gohan in the face over and over because soon Cell's arm is going to cramp up. Then Cell kicks Gohan down into the ground.Goku: Oh god, feet!
- Gohan's problem dodging has reached its conclusion. Piccolo prepares to shout dodge to him only to notice him already dodging.Kami: You must be so proud.
Nail: Your precious runt is becoming a man.
Piccolo: Yeah, but... I mean he could be dodging better.
- Gohan's response to Goku telling him to stop hiding his power level after leading everybody to believe he died. It's clear he just doesn't want to be there and was hoping to just wait out the rest of the tournament there.
- Gohan tells Cell that he knows why his father "threw him to the wolves" to fight Cell. Cell responds by saying he'll huff and puff and blow him down.
- Gohan attempts a Badass Boast about snapping so hard that he'll kill Cell. Unfortunately, this has the opposite effect because it's Cell.
- Upon witnessing Cell perform one of Freeza's moves:Krillin: That's Freeza's move! The one he killed Vegeta with! Remember, Vegeta?
Vegeta: I was there...
Krillin: You should really watch out for that.
Vegeta: Didn't Freeza blow you up?
Krillin: Whoa-ho-hoooo, yeah!
Vegeta: "Then you should really watch out for that!" That's you.
Krillin: ...Team Three Star?
Yamcha: What's that? Is that a club? Can I join?
- The translators note on Goku saying "Just according to cake".Translator's Note: Cake means Keikaku.
Translator's Note: Keikaku means plan.
- The sheer fact that Goku, of all people, had planned for Cell to start a tournament and Vegeta to let Cell reach his perfect form borders between funny and kinda frightening.
- As Cell is squeezing Gohan, he causes him to squeak.
- When Goku finally starts to realize that Gohan doesn't like fighting he turns to everyone else for aid. They can only mumble their own agreements with Piccolo, and Cell puts in his own opinion shouting "Eh, no one's perfect!"
- When Goku asks Krillin for another senzu bean, Krillin outright refuses. Clearly Goku has lost everybody's trust for pulling such a plan behind their backs.Krillin: Oh-ho-ho, no way, Gosé!
Goku: Krillin, I'm serious! I'm gonna use it on me this time!
Krillin: "Krillin I'm serious! I'm gonna use it on me this time!" That's you.
[Cell suddenly swipes the bag of senzu beans]
Cell: Just a quick update, everyone: These are now tournament illegal a'ight, thank you!
[Cell hops off with the spring sound from Sonic 1]
Krillin: [staring at his empty hand] Okay, that's my B.
Goku: It's alright, Krillin. This is everybody's B.
Piccolo: I have done literally nothing wrong.
Tien: Yeah, join the club.
Yamcha: So there is a club.
- Android 16 grapples Cell, which Cell mistakes for a hug.Cell: Listen buddy, I'm glad you're finally coming around to me, but your timing is less than ideal!
- Android 16 reveals his plan to blow up Cell with a nuclear bomb... and belatedly realizes that this will also kill the Z Fighters.
- Android 16 counts down from 10 before he detonates. However...Android 16: Three... Two... One... Zero!
(Android 16 begins to glow. Nothing happens and the glow fades.)
Android 16: Negative one! Negative two! Negative— A critical error has occurred! WHERE'S THE KABOOM? THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A CELL-SHATTERING KABOOM!!!
Trunks: Oh, right. Um, my mom said she took out your bomb during repairs!
Android 16: WHO GAVE HER THE RIGHT?!
- When Roshi asks Bulma why she'd even take 16's bomb out to begin with she freaks out and points out that he could have blown it up when he saw Goku that asks how she's supposed to explain that to Chi-Chi. Roshi tries to help her chill out.Roshi: Bulma, I think you need to relax more. How's about a brewski?
Bulma: I'm still breast-feeding.
Roshi: Well, then two of us are thirsty! (Baby Trunks coos) You go, baby!
- The creation of the Cell Jrs, while horrifying, is lightened slightly with the fact that throughout the whole thing Cell is screaming a rant befitting of someone giving birth:Piccolo: I don't understand! Where's the egg?!note
Cell: You did this to me! You all did this to me!
Krillin: Life, uh, finds a way.
Vegeta: To make me vomit!
Goku: [after watching Cell spawn several offspring] Wow, this seems easy! I don't get what Chi Chi was complaining about.
- Cell gives all of the Cell Jrs names. The last one is named Vegeta Junior Junior.Vegeta Junior Junior: Vegeta
Vegeta: It's like every nightmare I've ever had fused into one, cloned itself, [bleep]ed the clone and then made those!
Piccolo: That is terrifyingly accurate.
- The other names are all Actor Allusions to various actors who have played Cell, including Takahata101 himself.
- And what's worse for Geets? Vegeta Jr. Jr. sounds like Nappa.Vegeta Junior Junior: Vegeeeeetaaaaaaaa I'm fighting you.
- Despite how nice Cell has been to Yamcha, he still has his children fight him, and the poor guy just can't catch a break with keeping his arms intact.
- Android 16('s disembodied head) tries to recruit the help of Jimmy Firecracker and Mr. Satan, but ends up scaring the living daylights out of them:
- In the middle of Mr. Satan's Rousing SpeechMr. Satan: Sure, that may sound crazy
Jimmy Firecracker: No, it's definitely crazy. Larry?
Larry: I have been finding God throughout this entire experience.
- Mr. Satan volunteering to take 16 over to Gohan counts as a crowning moment of awesome, but then he tells Jimmy everything is all a bunch of tricks. 16 has to tell him otherwise.Android 16: They are not. You could die.
Mr. Satan: Do you have a mute button or something?
Android 16: Not anymore.
- Cell watches one of the Cell Jr.s literally kicking Yamcha while he is down:Cell: (thinking) Dameon sure is kicking the shit out of Yamcha. It's like a metaphor. Eh, he honestly doesn't deserve this Buuut it's still funny!
- The fact that Android 16's Rousing Speech to Gohan is now a brutally honest reprimanding about Gohan's cowardice, compared to the original's saccharine sermon about protecting the earth.
- When Android 16 gives Gohan his speech he mentions that Vegeta is a giant failure of a father and this exchange happensVegeta: You wanna come up here and say that!?
Android 16: I'm a head!
Vegeta: Then maybe you should quit while you are!
- Even in his last moments, 16 wants to kill Goku as he asks Gohan to use his head as a bludgeoning weapon on Goku just before Cell crushes him. And this is after his Rousing Speech get Gohan to stop holding back.16: And hey. If we do make it out of this, please pick up my head, and beat your father to death wi
- And Cell's one-liner to Gohan after killing 16 is a call-back to the ginger joke in Episode 38:Cell: I'd say he's gone to a better place, but we both know he never had a soul.
- And Cell's one-liner to Gohan after killing 16 is a call-back to the ginger joke in Episode 38:
- The former title of this part of the episodenote references the sheer amount of "Linkin Park Ball Z" Anime Music videos that spawned when the series was at the height of popularity in the early 2000's, mostly starring Gohan when he transforms to Super Saiyan 2 at the end of this episode. Cell and Gohan even start Waxing Lyrical on their most commonly used songs for said videos.
- When Cell gets tired of beating on Gohan until he snaps, he decides to kill the Z Fighters instead.
Part Two: Apoptosis
- Vegeta's reaction to Gohan killing the first Cell Jr. in just one punch is priceless:Vegeta: Alright, would anyone care to explain THE F**K?!
Piccolo: I'm kind of afraid to, because I'm pretty sure that would involve giving Goku credit for this.
Goku: The takeaway here is... You're welcome.
Piccolo: THE ENDS DON'T JUSTIFY THE MEANS, GOKU!
Goku: You're mean!
- As Gohan is exploding the Cell Jrs. Jimmy drops this giggle-worthy line if just for sheer delivery:Jimmy: This is Jimmy Firecracker here reporting from this tree!
- Gohan, still in tranquil fury mode, gives the senzu beans to Trunks so he can get everyone back on their feet...Gohan: Try to forget you're half Vegeta and don't f**k it up.
- As Trunks is passing Senzu beans around to the others...Trunks: (flying down next to Krillin) Hey, Krillin! Krillin! (tosses a Senzu bean at his face) Senzu bean!
Krillin: (moans and gurgles)
Trunks: Uh, okay, yeah let's just (he puts the bean in Krillin's mouth, then goes to Yamcha) Hey, Yamcha! I senz you need some help?
Trunks: *sigh* Trunks, just stop.
- Even better, according to Kaiser those lines were improvised to fill dead air.
- Then Tien throws in this zinger.Tien: Great, now I can watch us become irrelevant vertically instead of horizontally.
- And when Trunks gets to Vegeta, a subtle reference to the term "bean daddy".
- As Trunks is passing Senzu beans around to the others...
- As Gohan is slaughtering the Cell Juniors:Cell Jr: Daaaaaaaad!
Cell: I ain't no helicopter papa. Sink or swim, bitch!
Gohan: [to a Cell Jr.] You forgot your water wings.
- In fact, Cell watches the Cell Jr.'s getting massacred, and the only thing going through his head is a sappy love ballad, (specifically "Suddenly" by Billy Ocean) performed with corny aplomb by Taka himself. He really is related to Android 16.
- One of the Cell Juniors tries to take Krillin hostage. Gohan is unimpressed.Gohan: Really? Using Krillin as a hostage? His death is a daytrip for us and a free ice-cream sundae for him, go ahead.
Krillin: Actually, I'm lactose intolerant.
Gohan: Nobody's lactose intolerant in Heaven, Krillin. That's why it's Heaven.
- After Gohan's finished killing all of the Cell Jr.'s, Cell announces that he's going to have to start calling him whooping cough, because he just devastated his children.
- After Gohan ends up Calling the Old Man Out, even Goku is worried about how much of a sadist Gohan has become.Goku: (nervous) Is that also a red flag?
- Goku dubs Gohan's new transformation as being a Super Duper Saiyan. This results in this gem from Vegeta:Vegeta: If he's a Super Duper Saiyan, then I shall find a way to become a Super-Dee-Duper Saiyan!
- The first time Gohan really knocks Cell in the gut.Gohan: Careful, Cell...your Vegeta is showing. *Uppercuts Cell*Cell: *With nauseated strain* Y-you know, you're not wrong. Hoo-boy! Nothing like a concussion...to really get the blood flowing—! *Unceremoniously pukes up blood*
- This line from Cell as he's about to unleash a massive Kamehameha Wave at Gohan.Cell: I could've just done this from the beginning. Instead I thought I have some fun, throw a Tournament, but f**k you! Suck my perfect dick!
- Cell completely losing his shit when Gohan tells him he's getting bored.
- For bonus points, Cell at that point was struggling to keep the Freeza in him down. Then Gohan gives him the exact same insult Super Saiyan Goku gave Freeza and he flips his shit.
- For extra Bonus points, Kaiser Neko even said the callback was purely unintentional. Without even trying, Gohan manages to piss off Cell in a way only his Father would if he continued to fight Cell.
- After Cell vomits up Android 18 and is reduced back to his Semi-Perfect form, we cut to Jimmy Firecracker and Mr. Satan, watching dumbly from the sidelines.Jimmy: Mr. Satan... (disbelieving chuckle) I'm gonna be straight with you... WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!
Mr. Satan: (to Larry the camera-man) That camera's broken, right?
Larry: FUBAR, sir.
Mr. Satan: I have no f**kin' idea!
- After the camera first breaks, the scene cuts back to people watching who casually decide to riot again, figuring they have nothing better to do.
- Puking 18 up through his mouth may cause some to think back when he spit up a baby pacifier when Piccolo first encountered him. Even in his perfect form Cell is still hacking things up from the wrong hole.
- Krillin calling 18 his "baeteen" while being held back by Piccolo.
- Before losing his Perfect Form, Cell realizes what's about to happen to him and immediately flips out. Cluster F-Bomb would be putting it mildly.
- And afterwards, we have Piccolo seeing Semi-Perfect Cell for the first time.Piccolo: ...Is that what he turned into after he beat me? I'm kind of offended by his lips. Am I allowed to be offended by his lips?
Krillin: Are you offended by Mr. Popo's lips?
Piccolo: Wait, can we talk about that?!
- There's also this zinger from Gohan after Cell vomits up 18.Gohan: It's a girl. Mazel tov.explanation
- The English (Canada) subtitles comment that it's good that the crew's camera is FUBAR at that moment, otherwise Cell would have lost his Hetap sponsorship over the F-bombing raid
- When Krillin tries to rush to help the regurgitated 18, Piccolo stops him and shouts he will get a hose to blast Krillin like the horny little mutt he knows he is.
- Even after dealing out a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to Cell and making him regurgitate Eighteen and lose his perfect form, Cell still turns himself into a Fantastic Nuke and attempts his Taking You with Me on Earth. Gohan doesn't seem to understand the threat at first, though.Gohan: So what was the plan here? Become so grotesque that I wouldn't wanna touch you? Because I'll be honest, it's working.
Cell: Oh, my dear boy. I think I finally realized what I inherited from you...
Gohan: Not my BMI, obviously.
Cell: Heh-heh! No, Gohan... It was your explosive temper.
Piccolo: Oh no.
Gohan: Oh no!
Cell: OH YEEEEEEEAH~! You see, in less than a minute from now, I'm going to burst... AND TAKE YOU, AND THIS WHOLE WRETCHED WORLD WITH ME!
Gohan: (Assumes ready stance) So what you're saying is that I have less than a minute to kill you.
Cell: Ah ah ahhh! Any attack could set me off! A punch, a kick, a wafer-thin mint. So how about you savor the time you have left, before I go pop?! HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE CELL GAMES! BYE, EVERYBODY! GOOOO F*CK YOURSELVES!
Gohan: (falling to his knees) I did exactly what my dad and Vegeta do! WHAT IS THIS SHIT, GENETIC?!
- As Cell starts to become a Fantastic Nuke:Goku: Wait, I've seen this before. Krillin, if he turns blue, you gotta go sing a song.
Krillin: For the last time, I'M NOT AN OOMPA LOOMPA!!!
- While Cell is expanding, Jimmy Firecracker makes a cruel but hilarious comparison:Jimmy: Heh, hey, Larry look! It's yah mother!
Larry: She's diabetic, dude.
Jimmy: Yeah, 'cos she's fat!
Larry: She lost a foot.
Jimmy: And now she's 50 pounds lighter!
- As Cell starts to become a Fantastic Nuke:
- Despite the gravity of his Heroic Sacrifice, Goku still pulls it off in the most Goku way possible:Goku: (pops in) Hey, King Kai. What should I do with Cell?
(King Kai, Bubbles, and Gregory scream, followed by Cell exploding)
- For context: unlike canon Dragon Ball Z, Goku doesn't take Cell to King Kai's planet because it was the only place he could think of in a short period of time. He took him there because he wanted to know what King Kai thought he should do with Cell. Cue Earth-Shattering Kaboom.
- Even better, King Kai's last thoughts before this were "I'll see you soon my friend".
- Just the noise Cell makes as he explodes and takes out King Kai's planet, just a short "PHUT" and then the planet is gone.
- Instead of the comically-cartoonish "POP" noise that Instant Transmission usually makes, teleporting the oversized Cell has it make the sound of a balloon bursting.
- Right after Goku's Heroic Sacrifice, we get this quip from Piccolo:Piccolo: Is it a bad time to point out Goku just stole that win?
- After Gohan tearfully berates himself for basically pulling a Vegeta and causing Gokus death, Krillin reminds him that they have Dragon Balls and can just revive him. Gohan accepts this, but still says he sort of screwed up.Krillin: And now youre one of us.
- After Cell and Goku had disappeared, Larry asks the dumbfounded Jimmy Firecracker and Mr. Satan if they're interested in some weed.Jimmy and Mr. Satan: YES!
- Krillin picks up the unconscious Android 18 with the intent of taking her to a doctor or a mechanic After a small time of hesitation, he settles with taking her to a Bulma.
- When Vegeta asks Krillin when he got the balls to stand up to him after refusing to let Vegeta destroy 18
Krillin: If I said it didn't have anything to do with holding a beautiful woman in my arms, I'd be a liar
- Throughout the video, Gohan continually feels the need to treat Vegeta's name as synonymous with f**king up.Gohan: You didn't just take a page from Vegeta! You wrote a sequel to his friggin' book! Chapter One: Kill your own goddamn Dad!
- The reference to Cell vs. Kenshiro when Gohan punches Eighteen out of Cell.Semiperfect Cell: (points to Eighteen) Are you, uh... gonna eat that?
Semiperfect Cell: Then... can I?
Part Three: Necrosis
- The shocking cliffhanger of part 2 where Cell one-shots Trunks was actually a flub.
- After Cell explains how he came back stronger than ever, Yamcha calls him Perfecter Cell.Cell: Okay, Yamcha, accurate, but tone it down.
- Krillin asks Gohan to kick Cell again to see if he'll cough up another Android 18, for a friend.
- Gohan, after Taking the Bullet for Vegeta, groans that the latter picked now to be a better parent.
Cell: For Vegeta? Really?Tien: Yeah, really!?Piccolo: REALLY!
- Everyone gives Gohan shit for taking the bullet for Vegeta. Cell doesn't even look amused.
- As Cell charges his Kamehameha, Gohan comments on the situation.Gohan: So this is how I die, down an arm and killed by an android. Why does this feel oddly familiar?
- During the Beam-O-War, Krillin has a random question due to Cell mockingly suggesting Gohan use sign language.Krillin: If someone with one arm uses sign language is that a speech impediment or an accent?
- "Now plant your feet, grit your teeth, and EAT. THAT. HORSE!"
- "Horse... eaten."
- In a mix of this and Tear Jerker, Cell, ever the eccentric showman, sings Frank Sinatra's My Way as he dies.
- In the middle of the montage accompanying this song, we get a Solar Flare gag of Imperfect Cell in a sling bikini, tongue hanging out.
- After Cell is killed, there's a brief moment of silence before "Dramatic Finish!" flashes on the screen.
- Following this, an exhausted and fatigued Gohan starts falling to the ground as he asks someone to catch him. The rest of the Z Fighters dont hear this as they are still in shock that Cell is finally gone for good.
- The "Dramatic Finish!" really serves as a hilarious capstone after the three minute-long song sung by Cell right before.
- King Furry appears, and he speaks in barks. He also likes walkies.
- Mr. Satan stated that he was the one who took down Cell (by throwing 16's head to Gohan and triggering his Super Saiyan 2 transformation) and he disintegrated into nothing when asked for a body (thanks to Gohan's Kamehameha). The funny part is that technically, he isn't lying.Jimmy: Was there a body, Mr. Satan?
Mr. Satan: (panicked) NO!
- Once Mr. Satan launches into his spiel about how he was the one who defeated Cell, his theme music starts up. As pointed out by Kaiser in the Breakdown, once it cuts for a second to the city listening to his broadcast, the music becomes muffled—implying that Satan's theme isn't just the series soundtrack, it's actually playing through the audio feed.
- A meta one: since Mr. Satan took the credit for killing Cell, Kaiser Neko confirmed on Twitter that he won the lifetime supply of Hetap.
- Dende trying to give Gohan mouth-to-mouth when he pretends his Healing Hands didn't work.
- When Gohan is brought back to full health, the other Z Fighters offer their condolences:Tien: Hey... Sorry about your dad, kid.
Yamcha: Yeah, that's rough.
Gohan: (cheerfully) Hey, guys, it's fine! He's dead!
(Yamcha and Krillin look at each other in disbelief)
Yamcha: ...There's a lot to unpack there.
Piccolo: You did a good job out there, kid. (rubs Gohan's head) Without you, we'd all be dead.
Piccolo: (smiling regardless) I... I just wanted you to know that.
Gohan: (still cheerful) I know.
Piccolo: ...O-okay, long as we're clear.
- 18 waking up on the Lookout and being thoroughly confused about what's going on.Dende: Okay, so why did you bring two dead chicks to the Lookout? (the second one being Trunks)
Android 18: (wakes up in alarm) Huh?!
Krillin: Good morning, Sunshine!
Android 18: Where am I?! What happened?! Where's Cell?!
Piccolo: On the Lookout, Gohan killed Cell, and Gohan killed Cell.
Android 18: What's "the Lookout"?!
Krillin: It's where God lives.
Dende: What up.
Android 18: (stunned) ...Okay, wow, you are throwing a lot at me here...
Krillin: Also I'm in love with you!
Android 18: Aaaaaannd that's my limit! Thank you, bye. (flies off)
Krillin: NO, WAIT, DON'T— Man, I'm bad at this.
Android 18: (distantly as she's flying off) We both are!
- When Shenron is summoned, Gohan notices that he's less moody than he usually is. Now let's remember that Dende had quite a bit of weed beforehand...Shenron: (before dematerializing) Bigger Green, out!
- Dende also summons Shenron unconventionally.Dende: Wakey wakey, eggs and dead people.
- Dende also summons Shenron unconventionally.
- When Trunks is revived, the first thing he says are, "I get it, your desk is beautiful!" and "...Got my clothes back." Guess King Yemma is still up to his old tricks.
- When Yamcha makes the wish to revive everyone, he actually says "everyone on Earth killed by Cell"
Needless to say, King Kai isn't happy with him.King Kai: Yeah, thanks for specifying on Earth, by the way! Yamcha! YOU ASSHOLE!!
- Throughout the episode Goku treats King Kai like a literal phone. When King Kai yells at him he tells Gohan he's getting interference, and later when he says goodbye he jabs him in the eye trying to find a button to hang up.
- Piccolo finally gets a place to live in the Lookout, though Dende lets him stay because Gohan is more likely to visit if Piccolo's around.Piccolo: (genuinely excited) I've never had a room before!
Dende: That's depressing. And hilarious.
Mr. Popo: I call it deprarious.
- When Krillin complains that it's ridiculously arbitrary that Shenron can bring someone back from the dead but cannot turn Seventeen and Eighteen back into humans, Shenron points out that he isn't the one who makes the rules, prompting Krillin to ask who does.
- While the exchange between them is mostly serious and heartwarming, when 18 questions why Krillin used the wish for her sake, one of the possible wishes she suggests he could have made for himself is to have a nose.
- 18 correctly predicts that her brother's first thought after being revived is something inane.
- Krillin tries to get Android 18's phone number as she flies off again but gets the predictable response.Krillin: Wait! Wait! W-what's your number?
Android 18: 18!
Krillin: ...Heh. Guess I flew into that one.
- Piccolo's reaction to Krillin and 18's last awkward exchange after Krillin wishes for her and 17's bombs to be removed.Piccolo: (thinking) I'm not sure what just happened.
Kami and Nail: (sing-songy) Krillin's got a girlfriend!
- Yamcha tries to convince Trunks to take him to the future. After a brief exchange, Trunks realizes why.Trunks: ...Is it because my mom is single?
Yamcha: Oh hey, my apartment's this way, later, Trunks!
- Vegeta and Trunks part ways... by flipping each other off.
- Just before the end credits, as Trunks is leaving, there's a touching moment of Gohan looking up to the sky at an overlay of his father smiling proudly at him. But he's the only who who can see it, and Krillin ends up looking around trying to figure out why Gohan's staring at the empty sky.
- Based on 18's reaction, the team threw Krillin the mother of all "bones". This is a mid-credits scene, shown at Kame House.Krillin: I'm surprised you knew I'd be here.
18: Seemed like the obvious pick.
Krillin: True! So, umm... what can I do ya for?
18: I made a promise to myself, and I'm here to keep it.
Krillin: Ya wanna see a movie, or...
18: Dude, drop your pants.
Krillin: Oh, OH! O-okay! But, umm... j-j-just a heads up, I'm a grower...
(zipper, followed by two audible thumps on the ground)note
18: OH. MY. GOD!
18: Get on the bed.
Krillin: YES, MA'AM!
(Krillin Owned Count appears, then ticks down to 38)note
- Finally, The Stinger. That night, at the end of their coitus, Krillin proves not all habits are entirely Saiyan as he fires Scatter Bullet through the roof of Kame House. The KOC, by now reduced to one, is destroyed. Awesome and Heartwarming on its own, but how makes it hilarious.
- First thing Trunks does when getting back to his future? Vent about his father.Trunks: Hey Mom, you ever meet Dad?!
Bulma: ...*sighs* Okay, look, love is complicated. Seriously, how was I supposed to prepare you for a year alone with him? I never even got a week.
Future Trunks: Mom, you didn't prepare me for a car ride to the grocery store with the man. What did you see in him?
Bulma: A short, stubborn, powerful person desperate for recognition. As a female scientist in her early 30s, I...guess I identified with that.
- Bulma is quite nonchalant about her past self hitting on Trunks, as "It's not my fault your dad's genetics and mine got along like chocolate and peanut butter."Future Trunks: Before you found out I was your son, in the past... you might've made a pass at me.
Future Bulma: Well, duh!
Future Trunks: MOM!
Future Bulma: Hey, it's not my fault your dad's genetics and mine got along like chocolate and peanut butter.
Future Trunks: Is that why you used to call me your "little peanut butter cup"?
- When Trunks finds the androids, 18 is busy blasting apart a building. Turns out she's mad because someone called her a "ho-bot".
- 17 admits he would've called her a "ro-thot".
- When 18 points out that she's not even an android, 17 retorts that as a woman, she'd be called a gynoid—the fact that it has "guy" in the name confuses him for a while, until he realize it's "gy" like gynecology.
- Trunks unthinkingly calls 17 and 18 androids, causing them both to get offended. When he admits it's what they were called in the past, the two get caught up in the mechanics of time travel.
- After he destroys 18, Trunks turns to 17. 17, quickly realizing how thoroughly screwed he is, asks Trunks if there is some way he can convince him not to kill him. Trunks tells him that he might be willing to spare him, but only if he can remember Gohan's name.17: Goooo...ku Junior...?
Trunks: Wrong answer!
- Trunks and Bulma's Bad "Bad Acting" in order to bait Cell.Trunks: (after Bulma leaves) Alright, tall, dark and bugly, I know you're there!
Cell: No, you don't! This is an ambush— (realizes he's being ambushed) ooooooh...
- Bulma's reaction to Cell and his terrible attempts to hide.Bulma: Oh, shit. Is that him? You know, you never told me he was green, but I imagined he was green. He's looking right at us. Does he... does he know I can see him? Is his vision based on movement?
- Later, her reaction to Cell's appearance:Bulma: Seriously, whose DNA made him look like he stepped into a teleporter with Jeff Goldblum?
- Later, her reaction to Cell's appearance:
- Trunks keeps interrupting Cell's evil monologue.Cell: So I'm going to need that time machine so I can—
Trunks: Go back in the past and absorb the cyborgs.
Cell: —to achieve my—
Trunks: Perfect form.
Cell: (nettled) Okay, you suck. You are sucking all of the fun out of this. I'm the only one who sucks here, boy— That came out wrong.
Trunks: No, sounds right to me. note
- Cell accidentally inspiring a Call-Back to his other self's fight with Trunks.Cell: How? How do you know all this!?
Trunks: Because, as someone once told me: Multiverse theory's a bitch.
Cell: Okay, I feel like you're referencing something and I don't get it, and that's not fair.
- He then pettily remarks that he's going to need the time machine to go back in time and re-do his conversation with Trunks.
- Cell reveals that "Cell" wasn't the name he wanted to call himself, though he does admit it's a cooler name than he thought of. He originally wanted to go with Jiren.
- And calling back again, to his other self's fight with Vegeta.Cell: Oh, you think you're cute?!
Trunks: Bitch... (goes Super Saiyan) I'm adorable.
- And calling back again, to his other self's fight with Vegeta.
- Once Cell starts getting curb-stomped by Trunks he proceeds to look at the audience and ask for their help like it was an episode of Dora the Explorer.Cell: Boy howdy, kids, looks like your old friend Cell's in quite a sticky wicket. Whatever should he do? (beat) Use the Kamehameha? Good idea! (charges the Kamehameha) KA-ME—
Trunks: (fires massive blast) HHAAAAAA!
Cell: LET ME FINISH!!
- When Cell is about to die, he prepares to sing his own version of "My Way"... but since this version has only had about 2 minutes of screen time he only gets enough clips to reach the first line before he gets vaporized.
- In the end Trunks finds finally liberating his future from all threats completely "anti-clim-"(cut to credits)
- The Stinger shows that Bulma was telling the truth about Trunks' birth. He was born out of one night of passion... that became many nights because "In for a penny, in for a pounding. And I really was!" Even funnier is that Trunks keeps telling her not to say it and screaming really hard (in the same tone of his internal scream when Present Bulma was hitting on him) after hearing it.