Not all nightmares are officially published. In fact, often the only things scarier than a professional writer's nightmares are what the fandom can build from them.
open/close all folders
Specific original works/franchises:
Avatar: The Last Airbender
- The fanfic The Chong Sheng Trilogy. The first installment, War, ends with Ba Sing Se being carpet-bombed to rubble while the characters are trapped underground listening to it and freaking out. The second installment, Peace, involves, among other things, Katara witnessing Jet's torture and murder at the hands of the Rhinos, and subsequently going on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge... using their own blood to rip them apart, a side-story involving some original characters where a troubled soldier tortures his own father by slowly removing his skin in small patches and giving him an occasional hit of opium just to keep him conscious through it, and lastly, Zuko confronting and killing Ozai, who has lost his mind entirely to the point that he thinks he's fighting Iroh instead. Also, one of the aforementioned original characters is a borderline pedophile, and very heavily implied to be sexing it up with Azula.
- The Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfic "When All Your Dreams Come True." The premise: Zuko succeeds in capturing Aang and his friends sometime during Book One and takes them back to the Fire Nation. The reality: Sokka immediately gets tortured and killed, since the Fire Nation has no use for him. Katara gets her tongue cut out and turned into a gladiator-style "training exercise" for Fire Nation soldiers, to get them to practice fighting a waterbender. She eventually loses an eye, becomes known as the Widowmaker, and evolves into a sort of proto-Hama. Aang gets both his eyes put out and thrown into prison to live out the remainder of his life in misery. He goes insane. Toph wasn't even in book one, but also gets killed off for no good reason but to add angst. Finally, Zuko goes completely mad from guilt and drinks himself into oblivion, conjuring up detailed delusions of himself joining the Avatar and teaching him firebending, falling in love with Katara, bringing down his father, and ending the war]]. After reading, you feel like you want to scrub your brain clean of the images.
- The Avatar: The Last Airbender Fanfiction, Bad Ends, is Exactly What It Says on the Tin. It's a series of one shots depicting a rather different ending to what we're expected from episodes and moments in the show. For example, Katara, in her little undercover mission to save Haru from the Earthbending Prison, is captured and sentenced to the barrocks for the men to play with. Then, Remember when Zhao said he wouldn't kill the Avatar, but keep him alive, but just barely? He's strapped to a table and has all four limbs chopped off with red-hot garden shears, and is blinded with a hot poker. Honestly, it's a Darker and Edgier retelling of most of the series, and once you read them, you'll be glad the series had the endings that it DID.
- Some of the worse endings include Appa being killed and eaten by the swampbenders (and then when Aang is freaking out, they offer some of the meat to him), Suki being killed on the day of the comet leading to Sokka being incinerated by Fire Nation soldiers and Toph falling to her death, Azula's lightning hitting Katara at the Last Agni Kai and Zuko inadvertently gutting her with his swords, young!Azula and young!Zuko being caught listening in on Ozai and Azulon and Ozai murdering Zuko with lightning right there, Katara accidentally ripping Aang, Sokka, and Toph apart with bloodbending.
- The Avatar: The Last Airbender fic 31 Days of Maiko is mostly Heartwarming Moments with a bit of Tear Jerker thrown in, but Chapter 17 is definitely nightmarish. Azula, after an indefinite amount of time being mistreated by the asylum guards, decides that enough is enough. She spends her time collecting small sharp objects, which the guards and doctors don't notice, and waiting for Zuko and Mai to visit her. And when they do...
Azula: (falsely cheerful) I feel as though good things are coming. I think I'm going to make a mark.
Zuko: Oh? How?
Azula: I've been planning something.
Mai: (knows this is leading nowhere good and tries to pull Zuko away) Let's go, Zuko. We should go. (Zuko won't move)
- Reluctant Hero has a subplot about the spiritual imbalance in the world, since the Avatar was unable to serve as a bridge between the two realms. It's introduced by Sokka, Katara, the Kyoshi Warriors and the children they are keeping safe stranded in a mountain full of jiangshi - hopping zombies sucking the life-force out of you. They're impossible to kill since they're already dead, so they need to be buried in rice, or a sacrifice has to be made to the Mountain Spirit.
- The reason why Sokka is so afraid of spirits? When he was young, he met some old man who talked about two villages from the South Pole, which disappeared in one night when something came in the night. The old man was the Sole Survivor, but he knew the spirit was after him and begged Sokka to not look what was going to happen to him. Sokka ran home but still glanced back and the thing crawled within him. The boy did his best to keep quiet about it as he feared the thing would gain power from acknowledgement, but when he confronts the Mountain Spirit, it identifies the thing as a seed of wendigo and "purifies" Sokka by making him vomit. Oh, and the wendigo being gone means something else can now try to take its place inside Sokka.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
- Counts of Blood is a good Buffy the Vampire Slayer that crosses over with the Muppets, but its portrayal of Count von Count is terrifying. For starters, he apparently cut up a mathemetician into over a hundred pieces and put them in small boxes, and early on in the story, removes the feet of the poor sap who took the pills he needs to curb his violent tendencies!
- Angelus in Zeppo: Halo is far more terrifying than canon where he was occasionally Narmful. He kidnaps Harmony, tortures her to death, then leaves her strung up from a lightpost as a message to Xander. Angelus also kidnapped Cordelia, torturing her into insanity and while we don't know everything he did, what we do is incredibly horrific. It's even mentioned that only a considerable amount of healing magic has kept her alive for the past two weeks. Finally, Angelus is still pretending to be Angel around Buffy and having sex with her almost nightly.
- From Dragon Ball Multiverse we have Universe 16 Pan being strangled to death by Bojack. When it looks like she is about to break out of it, he SNAPS HER NECK.
- In the Dragon Ball fanfic Troop of Beasts, Kakarot never hits his head, with the result that many things become Darker and Edgier. Nightmare Fuel ensues.
- Since Kakarot never hits his head, he's not the happy-go-lucky All-Loving Hero he is in canon, but a bloodthirsty marauder. Not only does he slaughter huge numbers of people, many of them innocent, but he becomes a Serial Rapist after he forces Colonel Violet to demonstrate how women make children.
- Speaking of the Red Ribbon Army, they're given a good deal more gravity in this fic, especially since Dr. Gero's early experiments are a major plot point. Suno and the Ox King being forcibly converted into Androids is one of the many, many horrible things they do in this story that didn't happen in canon.
Doki Doki Literature Club
- As if the scene in question wasn't disturbing enough already, this fanmade dub of Yuri's confession is just downright bone-chilling. Besides the creepy image that accompanies it, you can just hear the Sanity Slippage in her voice, and added details like her laugh glitching out and her struggled breathing before finally collapsing add to the unnerving factor.
- Doki Doki Eldritch Horror Club is either this, a Funny Moment, or both, depending on your perspective. In case you don't want to click, it's a sprite edit of an apparent attempt to fuse the "best traits" of all four girls plus Buff Natsuki into one girl, only for it to become a Body Horror monstrosity straight out of The Thing (1982).
- The best part? It has a name now: Reginald.
- Lesser known Youtuber BryanCroiDragon had some exceptionally brave moments during his Lets Play of "Doki Doki Literature Club." The aforementioned moment of Monika fading into the foreground during Yuri's rambling however had him run to get a crucifix and for the rest of the video he had it with him. It is half Funny Moment and half Nightmare Fuel but eventually the latter takes over. During the take over of the Nightmare Fuel, Jesus actually falls off of the crucifix.
- Things You Missed in Doki Doki Literature Club is actually a very informative and thorough video detailing all the hidden scares and easter eggs in the game. Too bad it's riddled with its own scares courtesy of the video creator. When explaining a particular scare that involves the screen going black, his commentary momentarily becomes unintelligible as an incredibly creepy image of Yuri with a Nightmare Face appears.
- The fan song "Just Monika" is mostly just Black Comedy, but the ending is legitimately creepy—After MC deletes Monika and reunites with the literature club, he promises Sayori that he'll walk home with her. Sayori proceeds to do...this...
Just Sayori! JUST SAYORI!
- Another fansong, "Why Did I Say Okie Doki?" by Stupendium, which tells the tale from the perspective of the MC. At the end, he effectively finds himself trapped forever with Monika because he can't bring himself to delete her.
- There's two Minecraft animations of it, each with a different ending—in the "A Version", Stupendium deletes Monika, but in the "B Version", he desperately tries to float to the "delete" menu before Monika grabs him and drags him away with a sinister grin on her face, gladly willing to imprison him with her forever.
- WHAT DID MONIKA SAY TO SAYORI? is a fan animation about Monika's 'talk' with Sayori when the MC notices the latter's is acting off. Monika, under a guise of Brutal Honesty, verbally rips Sayori a new one, stating in no uncertain terms that MC does not love her romantically and that any hints otherwise are out of pity. And if that wasn't bad enough, Monika's recording everything she's saying and when finished, replays it in Sayori's head ON LOOP.
- And after that, at the end of the video, she returns to the other classmates, giving absolutely no fucks about what she just did to her former friend, and her gaze subtly turning towards the front of the screen...
- Making this worse is that Doki Doki Literature Club Plus revealed that Monika was the first person that Sayori confided in about her depression, so having someone she trusted so much say to her face her depression is the only reason that MC would ever agree to be with her would unquestionably be emotionally traumatizing even without Monika's Mind Rape on top of it.
- Dalton contains the thoroughly crazy stalker Adam Clavell. He's got a wall covered in photos of his lust object, Julian, he stuck them to the wall with his own blood, and he's made a hit list consisting of a bunch of photos with the faces mutilated and the words off with his/her head written on the back.
- The final part of chapter 26 begins with this author's note:
TRIGGER WARNING for blood, violent acts and images, and the behavior that revolves around this theme. If you are not comfortable with these types of scenes and images, I strongly urge you NOT TO CONTINUE.
- Missing has Sebastian kidnap Kurt and hold him captive for a year, heavily drugging him, conditioning Kurt to be his baby, and threatening to kill him if he resists his "daddy." The forced infantilism is bad enough, but the scariest parts of it are Bud and Kari (Sebastian's friend and the girl he kidnapped and conditioned the same way) and their relationship, and both of the sex scenes.
- The description of Azkaban in Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality especially the woman who accidentally killed someone, immediately went insane with remorse, and then is forced to relive the moment of the murder over and over by the Dementors. Also, the scenes where Harry is walking around protected by the True Patronus, giving momentary relief to the prisoners in the cells he passes, but forced to keep walking and leave them again to the Dementors, and hearing their screams to stay. The in-story Aesop is that Azkaban is simply evil, and afterwards Harry concludes that because the nominally democratic magical government allows Azkaban to exist and in fact runs it, he is under no obligation to obey the wishes of the majority.
- We Are Nothing, a crossover between Harry Potter and A Nightmare on Elm Street by Ruskbyte. While the murders featured in the story are par for the course for Freddy Krueger...geezus. When someone is able to make you feel sorry for Umbridge or cringe at Big Bad Voldemort getting curbstomped to death, you know that evil has just been turned up to eleven.
- In Core Threads, the horcrux in Harry Potter is shown to have been influencing the Dursleys. Unlike the usual Fandom-Specific Plot, it doesn't make them more violent, not directly. Instead, it leaves them feeling like there's a horrific monster in the shape of a small child inside their house. Before Harry destroyed it, Vernon would sometimes black out and see horrible red eyes and hear Voldemort's laughter and when he came to, he'd see Harry's beaten form at his feat. Likewise, the Dursleys not only had constant nightmares, but Vernon likened sleep to knowing there was a monster sitting in the corner watching him and waiting for him to open his eyes. Vernon stayed home as often as possible (cutting ties with many friends and giving up his hobbies) because he refused to leave that thing alone with his family.
- Evil Be Thou My Good, a crossover between Harry Potter and Hellraiser. While the story is very well-written and absolutely terrifying, here are some choice moments:
- The off-screen seizing of the Dursleys. This is also a Moment of Awesome for everyone (read: the entire fandom) who wanted these characters to get their just deserts. The same goes for Fudge and Umbridge at the end.
- The entire scene in the Great Hall. Voldemort orders Harry to open the Lament Configuration for him. If you've ever seen a Hellraiser film, you know what happens next.
- Harry's own disturbing nature throughout the whole thing. After opening the Configuration as a boy and causing the death of the Dursleys, he ends up... well, different. His obsession with rebuilding the box, his Briar Patching to get Voldemort to call upon Pinhead and company, and especially the steps he's willing to take, including allowing Ron and Hermione to get hit by the Cruciatus Curse to reach the above, show how warped he's become.
- There's a sequel which is even more disturbing, All Problems Solved, due to the constant undertone of dread that permeates it. Draco wakes up at St Mungo's with a hole in his memory and slowly begins to realize that something has happened to his wife Pansy Parkinson and most of his associates. As he tries to fill in the gaps in his memory, it's pure Paranoia Fuel to spice things up. The worst part is what's become of Harry and the puzzle box: Harry runs a successful company that creates things based on the magical theory behind the box. As for the box itself, he keeps it at company headquarters, behind security that's laughable, despite the numerous attempts to steal it. He and his circle even had a bet going on how long it would be before Draco came for the box.
- The Never Never Land A Harry Potter fanfic where McGonagall takes in the grand-daughter of an old friend. It turns out the grandmother had possibly gone mad and created a series of potions to freeze the girl at ten. It's implied that the girl has also been kept locked up in the house for years with only granny and a house elf for company and was probably abused emotionally as well. Also, the kid is one Creepy Child. She talks like a robot and needs precise directions. When the grandmother kicked it, she spent about four days in the house with the dead body, going about her business. The author promises Body Horror in later chapters.
- In Broken Chains after getting abducted by Sith Lords, Harry is paralyzed and Forced to Watch as they dissect Sirius right in front of him.
- Several from Harry Potter and the Prince of Slytherin.
- At one point, to force Ron's compliance, the Diary causes the arachnophobic boy to hallucinate a swarm of spiders crawling up his throat and and out his mouth until Ron gives in. Later, while possessing Ron outright, the Diary gets him out of the way by trapping him in a nightmare about being buried alive in a coffin full of spiders.
- Luna Lovegood's memory of her mother dying after casting the Imago Dei is terrifying enough, but when Harry and his friends quickly exit the memory, the spell tries to follow them out!
- Nearly every scene in Year 3 involving that Dementor.
- The Hogsmeade Attack arc includes Peter using a spell from the Anathema Codex to target Theo and several others with sentient Fiendfyre that gleefully promises to burn them slowly.
- Several hit wizards who badly underestimate Peter Pettigrew are caught by one of the Toymaker's devices and cursed to permanent laughter. Months later, they're all in St. Mungo's still laughing hysterically and would have starved to death but for magical life support.
- Peter's escape from the Ministry HQ involves him unleashing a plague of magical replicating rats.
- Year 4 begins with a harrowing scene (at Euro Disneyland, of all places!) in which a mob of Muggles under the influence of Harry's scar attack him and try to throw him onto the tracks ahead of an oncoming rollercoaster, all the while madly chanting "Kill the Freak!" in French.
Hetalia: Axis Powers
- A fanfiction called Awakening has Canada and America being taken as prisoners of war by the Germans. They are then sent to Auschwitz and experimented on by Dr. Mengele. Canada has blue dye injected into his eyes, while America is dissected alive and infected with tuberculosis and typhus.
- The Weakest Link has Forced to Watch to ensure maximum Nightmare Fuel. Four of the youngest nations; Iceland, Latvia, Estonia, and Sealand; are kidnapped by a villain who sends America, Sweden, England, Lithuania, and Russia videos of the children being tortured. Scenes include Latvia's vivesection and Estonia being set on fire to make sure you can't sleep.
- Seven Little Killers, a Hetalia: Axis Powers fic in which... well, everybody dies. It starts when Switzerland is murdered, and Italy walks in on his dead body. Everybody blames one another, and at first it's all just he-said she-said and pointing fingers, but then the bloodbath starts. The fic is based around the idea that there are seven killers on the loose, each named after the color of the mask they wear, lead by the infamous, shadowy Black and trying to kill off enough nations to completely reform the world order. Japan, Italy, and Germany are the ones on the hunt for the truth. Some of the nightmarish highlights are America masquerading as Canada masquerading as America killing several characters and crushing Japan's fingers as payment for letting his other captives- including Canada-as-America-as-Canada- free, China murdering New Russia on the orders of the killer Yellow and then going bonkers over it, several cities being completely decimated to weaken their nations, America manipulating Canada into killing a boatload of people, including Alaska and Hawai'i- whose death scenes are both cut right away from, although Hawai'i's is over Facebook, for crying out loud- and... well... the entire thing really.
- The comic version of the Hetalia: Axis Powers AU fic The First Cut: Or, The Angels of the Rye takes the implied horror of what the protagonist witnessed and shows it to the reader/viewer, showing aptly just why the titular first cut was hidden away. Namely the haunting images of Poland and Lithuania, who were last reported killed during the Terror several decades before the story, staring right at you, pleading for help. Also, the protagonist is their grandson.
- This Hetalia: Axis Powers fic tells about five times in history that France died. Four of them (the Black Plague, the Battle of Hastings, the American Revolution, and the German invasion of France in World War II) were frightening enough, but the worst was the French Revolution, which tells how France was beheaded in front of his own people, was still conscious some time after, and finally awoke to represent France as a republic.
- Volume 7 of the Homestuck Album has various indescribably awesome songs, but there are some that just make it their job to be creepy as hell.
- The Carnival: Honking in the tune of Harlequin.
- Havoc to be Wrought: The whole track gives off a sense of foreboding, but definitely nothing scary... until the last 30 seconds, where we get the lovely sound of something from the bowels of hell itself screeching in agony into a broken microphone. note
- If you listen closely, it actually sounds like someone choking or screaming. We could have been hearing the demise of the Sufferer or Equius being strangled to death.
- Volume 8 gives us Frog Forager. Initially, this seems ridiculous, with the seemingly adorable artwork and with the song at first just sounding like some peaceful music from Earthbound. Then around twenty seconds in, an eerie, high-pitched, off-kilter sound starts playing in the background and persists throughout the song, and eventually the Earthbound-iness just stops and the song is just those sinister sounds before returning to normal for the ending. And the artwork? Take a closer look. See anything wrong with it? The song and artwork both seem happy but have that subtle malevolence that makes it incredibly frightening.
- If you want to get into the scary shit going on in the albums, give Red Sucker from Cherubim a listen. The odd crying noises that come up in it make it sound as though Caliborn is beating some cute little creature to death during the track. Euch.
- The last two tracks on "The Wanderers." "What A Daring Dream" has eerie whispering voices that seem to be quoting the Morse code from WV's nightmare and "Nightmare"...well, it's called "Nightmare" for a reason.
- "The Felt" brings us "English", the theme of, well, Lord English. It starts off with a slow, almost sad piano section, which serves as a prelude to the main section. At around 0:40, a tense buildup starts while the piano section keeps going. Around the 0:50 mark, a harpsichord tune starts playing, with a warning feeling, letting the listener know that something is wrong. At around 1:07, another buildup starts, this time with an almost triumphant feeling, before transitioning smoothly into the main song. Here we have a tense bassline played on piano, with the melody played on piano for a bit. It then goes into a section where the melody is played backwards, and from there, it gets intense. This is where you really know the shit's finally been plain wrecked by the fan.
- Homestuck is a very bloody comic, but the effect is less shocking, as most of the blood is technicolor. Some people have edited some of the troll's bloodier panels red, and the results◊ are not◊ pretty◊.
- Heinoustuck. Basically, it takes place in a world where kids have to go through a rite of passage known as "transmutation" when they turn thirteen, a process that mutates them horribly, is implied to be painful, renders people immortal, takes four days to complete and, in Rose and Jade's cases alters their personalities. The results we see include Dave having been changed into a grotesque human/crow hybrid, with a beaked face like a plague doctor mask and a katana through his abdomen (think Davesprite), Rose being given long tentacles for arms and a stitched on Cheshire Cat Grin, and Jade being fused with Bec turning her into a radioactive Multi-Armed and Dangerous Reality Warper who has become quite emotionally imbalanced after gaining omnipotence. John is, understandably, terrified of it happening to him and avoids his dad throughout the story to make sure it doesn't happen (and speaking of his dad...) but the handy manual shows us that it's inevitable.
- Vriska's appearance does not look like one that would be appreciated by people who are afraid of spiders.
- And now we get to see what Mom Lalonde (and by extension, Roxy) looks like. Mother of God...
- The rest of the trolls (and the post-scratch kids)◊ are no better: Sollux's body has been ripped in half down the middle and crudely stitched back together (not to mention the two heads, with one eye each), Kanaya has insect-like fangs and six insectoid legs like her mother grub lusus, Tavros' jousting lance has been impaled through his chest, Dirk's jaw is hinged like Lil Cal's, Feferi is an eldritch horror with dozens of tentacles sprouting from her head and too many eyes, Jane's fork is sticking out of her head (with a bit of brain on the end), Jake's helmet IS his head, etc., etc., etc. Oh, and absolutely everyone is dripping with blood and covered with stitches. Yeesh.
- Word of God has stated that transmutation is not painful. However, agitating the wounds is. Not that that helps much.
- Rose's fate in particular becomes a nice bit of Fridge Horror considering what happened to pre-recton Rose. Cheshire Cat Grin? Check. Cat ears and a hat? Check. Tendrils? Check, albeit in different places. The most disturbing part however might be that her personality is altered in a similar way, becoming more cheery with occasional cat smiles, which is cute... until you think too much about what she's actually saying.
- Remember when Calsprite was laughing his ass off at Dave near the middle of Act 4? Well, the good folks over at Let's Read Homestuck replicated this using - are you ready? A mixture of Heaven Smile from Killer 7, Laugh from the beginning of Feel Good Inc., Gruntilda from Banjo Kazooie, Tidus from Final Fantasy X, Woody the Woodpecker, Joker (Hamill), Joker (Ledger), Joker (Romero), Joker (Nicholson) or the laughing box at the end of '89 batman, Mandark from Dexter's Lab, Jack Spicer from Xiaolin Showdown, and Kefka from Final Fantasy VI. Oh, and as if that wasn't enough, they then looped it for a whole hour. Good luck sleeping tonight.
- Speaking of "Let's Read Homestuck", Scratch's "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO KILL HER!" line is even scarier there, with his Voice of the Legion and how uncharacteristically angry he sounds. And by "angry", we mean "enraged".
- Their version of his "S u c k e r s" line isn't much better; it echoes.
- Scratch is also aware of the medium and the change of medium. Think about what that implies...
- Another one from Let's Read Homestuck is the reveal of Lord English. While the above line of Doc Scratch's is frightening, but not his normal voice, English sounds downright (yet understandably) hellish, with this cacophony (skip to 46:36) being his normal voice. Thank GOD he doesn't talk much...
- Sober!Gamzee's murderous rant is even worse when voiced, especially the part about the slime. You can hear the pure rage and loathing in his voice. Given that he sounded like a stoned idiot before this, it's utterly terrifying to hear him start screaming and whispering.
- One of the Ask Nepetas that Master Yorgi had voiced was a question regarding Nepeta's opinion of dogs. She starts saying "Well, they're ok-", but suddenly remembers the destruction of Derse. Screaming, crying, growling, and demonic music combine into a terrifying entry in an otherwise light-hearted series.
- For Halloween, Master Yorgi made this. Enjoy. If you're too scared to click, it's Gamzee just after he ripped the trolls' heads off, rambling to himself, hearing the trolls' voices in his head, crying and begging him not to kill them while simultaneously hearing both his own voice and Lil' Cal's urging him to kill them and Cal cackling insanely in the background. To make matters worse, Gamzee repeatedly flips between a relatively normal look and a nasty, Zalgo-like look, and it culminates in him singing "Bicycle Built for Two" to Tavros' severed head. Tavros' last line is humorous, but still... Can double as Tear Jerker when the viewer is attached to the characters.
- Similarly, this Ask Gamzee video has someone ask the question of whether Gamzee would ever kill all his friends or not. Gamzee says with a sad expression that he would never and that it's not cool... while the screen flickers between regular stoned Gamzee and a nightmarish sober Gamzee accompanied with screams.
- And just for a bit more Nepeta, definitely this.
- Octo's Homestuck Alarm Clocks has a lot of hilarity...and then Lil' Cal appears.
- A tumblr theory on what happens to the God Tier players left behind failed sessions. Also can double as a Tear Jerker.
- The Kink Meme fill Reprise managed to upset its requester, who had specifically wanted Torture Porn, to the point that she's now co-writing its spinoff Hivefled, which has the potential for a happy ending, but is putting everyone through the wringer on the way.
- Contract, Feferi?
- The 'Homestuck The Musical' fan project, though not complete, has Welcome to the Dark Carnival, a Villain Song for Gamzee sung in the tune of the aforementioned Carnival song.
- This MSPARP showing an encounter between Dualscar and the Handmaid. Especially when the Handmaid bursts into maniacal laughter near the end.
- The fanmade Oh Hi There, Lil Cal would not sound out of place in a horror film. Considering its subject...
- It also fits surprisingly well with the MSPA Reader: Mental Breakdown flash, being about the same length, though this is most likely just a coincidence.
- This comic takes the interpretation that Bro was messed up because of Lil' Cal's influence and runs with it. The result is horrifying.
- HELP US.
- This comic, where Nepeta was the one who went crazy on the meteor, and murders everyone, even Equius! It's also been dubbed. Thrice.
- GUESS AGAIN MOTHERFUCKERS.
- While this flash animation of the trolls' battle against the Black King is mostly awesome and hilarious, it has its nightmarish moments.
- Terezi scaling up the Black King and impaling the large eye of one of his heads with her cane, causing it to be covered with blood as a result.
- At one point in the battle, Terezi throws one of Gamzee's slime pie conntainers at the back of his head, causing his expression to change to a deranged Slasher Smile and furiously leap towards one of the Black King's heads while brandishing his clubs. The Black King seems to scream as images including sober Gamzee, Karkat's fearful expression from [S] All Behold the Glory of Zillyhoo, and Lil Cal flash across the screen and it briefly cuts out as we hear the sound of thunder. When it comes back, Gamzee is back to normal as Karkat stares at him in shock while blood rains down from the sky, and we see that Gamzee absolutely obliterated one of the King's heads. When Karkat said Gamzee dealt the most damage in a single blow out of the whole group, he meant it.
- This extension of Eternity Served Cold manages to be creepy due to a little "easter egg" thrown in - The artwork for the video features Calliope and Caliborn. Caliborn looks a tad creepy with the blood on his fangs and spirals in his eyes, but it's not too frightening. Then around the 12 minute mark, the artwork begins to fade as static sounds interrupt the song, and the artwork fades completely as the laugh from The Lordling plays. The artwork comes back... except now Caliborn is in the center, alone, and staring at the viewer.
- Made far worse for those familiar with Undertale, due to the laugh being the same as a certain flower's.
- While this fic was mostly just Tear Jerker, it describes (in thankfully not too much detail) Sollux's death. His powers painfully burn him away from the inside out.
- This Tumblr post, a set of gifs containing messages from the trolls and kids, who have somehow been transformed into horrorterrors, implied to be the result of a deal Rose made with them gone horribly wrong. Each one features a squiddle icon in a troll's or kid's color, with the character alternating between declaring how happy they are in their new form and screaming in agony while begging to be saved.
Karkat: I FEEL SO GOOD / I'M NOT MAD ANYMORE / I CAN'T I CAN'T / FUCK FUCK HELP
Kanaya: Please Join Me I Am Doing Quite Well / Please Save Yourselves / I Am Dying
Terezi: 1 LOV3 TH1S!!! / H3H3H3H3 WH4T FUN / NO NO PLE4S3
Vriska: This is gr8!!!!!!!! / I have all the 8uddies. All of theeeeeeeem! / please aaaaaaaanyone / H8LP ME!!!!!!!!
Eridan: im feelin just fine / im not pathetic noww / im havvin lots a fun / HELP ME
Rose: It's better than I imagined. / The Old Ones love me. / They love us all very much. / MY FAULT MY FAULT / PLEASE FORGIVE ME / PLEASE!!!
- Among the trolls, poor Feferi's is probably the worst...
- John isn't even flipping between happy and terrified. His message consists of him screaming in horror and begging the horrorterrors(?) to spare his friends and kill him instead.
John: i / i can't / please just stop / oh god!!! PLEASE!!! / LET ME GO / OH GOD NO / LET MY FRIENDS GO / HURT ME INSTEAD / KILL ME INSTEAD / I DIDN'T WANT THIS
- It doesn't even end at the main characters; Jade's message implies that EVERYONE was turned into a horrorterror.
Jade: everyone's here!! even grampa and bec!!
- Another blogger reblogged the gifset and explained its backstory, which makes it all the more horrifying—apparently, the gifs were made in response to earlier mentions of the dreambubbles. At the time, dreambubbles had only been vaguely alluded to by the comic, so the artist considered the possibility that maybe they weren't as pleasant as they sounded, especially since they were made by the Gods of the Furthest Ring. The end result was them portraying the dreambubbles as a sort of illusory paradise where everyone is perpetually Mind Raped whilst falsely believing that they're being given everything they want in the afterlife. This is why, for example, Dave's says "i cant wake up" and why John (who was God-Tier and thus functionally immortal at the time) was unaffected.
- An fanfic called Dark Harvest by Swing-21. Even the name screams Nightmare Fuel. It's rated M for a very, very good reason. Starts out creepy, ends up with a horrifying Twist Ending... of Dib actually kidnapping Sara, and the poor reader learns that HE is the one that is stealing organs to keep Zim alive, who had apparently lost his own. Zim isn't stealing organs this time... ALSO, the mental image of Keef, loyal to Zim and... ahem... "donating" his organs, covered in blood and stitches gives the chills. Darker and Edgier, anyone?
- Possessed, an Invader Zim fanfic where the Irkens brainwash Dib into thinking he's an Irken invader named "Bid". At the same time, Professor Membrane and his team of scientists kill GIR offscreen and perform horrific experiments on Zim, eventually CUTTING OUT PARTS OF HIS BRAIN to make him more tame and completely forget who he is, reducing him to a shadow of his former self with the naive personality of a young child.
- Euphemism of Love is the rare Invader Zim fanfic that doesn't derive its horror from anything supernatural or extraterrestrial. It's about Gaz and all the ways she physically abuses Dib (shoving him down the stairs, breaking his kneecaps and worse), and because she's younger and a girl, nobody lifts a finger to stop her. This keeps on going and going throughout their lives, until he gets a transmission from his mom, who was abducted by aliens when he and Gaz were three, telling him that the abuse is his sister's way of showing love.
You're all she has left. You have to take care of her.
She loves you.
Love her back, love her more. Love your sister; take care of your sister. She's helpless without you. She needs you to protect her. She's lashing out because she's traumatised over the death of your mother. You must support her; you must give her the affection she craves.
Don't you love your sister? She loves you, more than you love her. She expresses her love in different ways. You don't hit your sister, you love your sister. Love her more, be a better brother. Hitting girls is bad. Talk to your sister; hug your sister. Give her more affection than she gives you, Dib.
Are you listening, Dib?
Dib was eleven and two hundred fifty-five days when he took the kitchen knife and loved his sister more than she loved him.
Dib was eleven and two hundred fifty-five days when he loved his sister to death.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- Not His World, a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fanfic, has Dio resurrect Jonathan as a vampire using the same method he used to revive himself... and it's played for horror, especially with the Wham Line at the end of the fic:
Frozen in time, Jonathan Joestar stares horrified at the star shaped birthmark at the back of his neck.
- There exists a short comic from Jolyne's point of view. It starts off adorable, and quickly descends into creepy when she starts to talk about a friend only she can see. Hint: it is not her stand.
My name is Jolyne Cujoh
Mama call me JoJo
I love Mama
I like K too
K is shy
Only I can see him
[a crudely drawn picture of Kakyoin with his eyes seemingly gouged out and his torso bleeding out]
- 8-bit and 16-bit renditions of "Traitor's Requiem"? Cool. But, about 2.5 minutes in, an atonal, distorted version of Diavolo's theme cuts in, accompanied by an image of King Crimson with a human skin tone staring at the viewer!
- The Diavolo Bad End Week series, featuring multiple scenarios in which the members of Bucciarati's team fail to save Trish from her father and all of them meet horrific fates. Underground features La Squadra suffering the same tortures as the one Diavolo inflicted on his mother, Roses to Ashes has Trish being forced to watch Bucciarati's team being burned alive before the same happens to her, and Flesh, Bones || Skin, Soul has Diavolo transforming an unwilling Fugo into a cannibalistic monster.
- From the same author as Diavolo Bad End Week comes No Fun, in which Doppio falls in love with Narancia and kidnaps him to save him from being killed by the Boss. The first problem is that Narancia obviously doesn't want to be there. The second is that every time he rebels or lashes out with his Stand, Diavolo mutilates him as a form of punishment and as a way of rendering him immobile. By Chapter 5, Narancia has lost both hands, both feet and one eye. Yikes.
- In Chapter 7, Narancia complains to Doppio about the sound of rats scratching and scurrying underneath his bedroom floor and keeping him awake at night. Later, Doppio holds a small birthday celebration for Narancia and gives him a "present": Fugo, who is being held captive under the floorboards with his mouth stitched shut, just as Diavolo did to his mother long ago.
- From a certain point of view, the scariest part of the whole thing might be Doppio's Ambiguous Innocence. He seems to genuinely care for Narancia to some degree and want to make him happy, yet doesn't see anything wrong with mutilating or even raping him, and treats him like a naughty child who needs to be punished when he misbehaves. He also doesn't seem to understand why Narancia would be horrified at realizing Fugo has been locked under the floorboards and starved for days.
- One comic by ChloesImagination recreates the events of when Kira killed Reimi and her family. The unease begins when Rohan, who is staying with Reimi's family that weekend, saying he saw a ghost out. Reimi reassures him that they'll be fine with Arnold the dog downstairs and her family in the next room. But before she can fall asleep she hears dripping downstairs. Thinking her mom might be in the kitchen, Reimi heads down... only to find Arnold sliced at the neck and his corpse dangling from a coat rack. She rushes to parents room and finds Kira, sitting over her parents corpse with wide deranged eyes.
- Toys in the Attic describes Narancia becoming a sadistic Torture Technician for Passione who revels in interrogating prisoners. For those more accustomed to the usual fanon portrayal of him as an innocent, childlike character, it's an unsettling reminder of how Cute and Psycho he can be when given the chance.
They're toys, toys, toys and its all a game.
They're tools for Narancia the working man.
They're brushes for Narancia the painter.
They're instruments for Narancia the musician.
They're toys for Narancia, the child of the mafia.
- The For Want of a Nail fic Fox Rain is dedicated to show what could have happened if Lila had accidentally proven her heroic potential to Master Fu right after her original Akumatization, thus keeping her from becoming much worse than before, but still has a number of moments:
- The show implies that Papillon's influence had a role in Lila's worsening of character... And this fic actually shows it: with just a phone call from Natalie to prince Ali, Papillon nearly destroyed Lila's trust in the friends she already had. While Trixx' presence kept it from having the desired effect, it's still unsettling.
- The fic doesn't shy from the fact Gabriel here acted as a pedophile. In fact, Gabriel knows... And doesn't care, because once he wins it will have never happened.
- The story is making Lila become more heroic... But her reaction to realizing Papillon tried to destroy all her trust in her friends shows she still could have become that by her plan: feign it worked to jump him at the right occasion and steal the Butterfly Miraculous, and then throw him to the authorities while hoping they'll reopen Devil's Island (a nearly inescapable prison infamous for the death rate and the tortures to the prisoners) just for sake of a Papillon pun... And admits to herself she would do it if possible. Good thing prince Ali realized what she was planning and thwarted her and Ladybug managed to snap her out of that anger...
- The narration states that Ladybug knew how to snap her out of that anger because she used to feel similar before meeting Tikki.
- The Karma of Lies:
- The premise of the fic is that Adrien suffers from all the Laser-Guided Karma that was originally aimed at Lila, thanks to his insistence on shielding her from the consequences of her actions. By the climax, he finds himself Hated by All, Convicted by Public Opinion of being an accessory to his terrorist father, having lost his Miraculous, his freedom, his friends, and everything he cared about.
- Word of God makes this worse: this fate would have originally befallen Lila or Marinette, depending on which of them won the conflict between them. Meaning that Marinette could have suffered the same consequences, through no real fault of her own, thanks in no small part to her partner's Skewed Priorities and insistence on protecting a Con Artist and letting her scam their friends.
- The Miraculous Ladybug fanfic Lila and the Anger Management Class has a few, mostly centered around Lila... And just how twisted she is, even when trying to do good deeds:
- When Chloe threatens her using the fact she's the daughter of the mayor of Paris, Lila shows she was recording the conversation, reminds her she's the daughter of two high-level foreign diplomats, and wonders what would happen if a foreign power were to give the French government evidence the mayor of the capital is abusing his power to spoil his daughter... Or, in other words, threatens to ruin the political career of Chloe's father if she doesn't stop using her father's position to get away with everything.
- Lila is later seen talking to Chloe, and admits to Adrien she's basically blackmailing her into being nice... By threatening to ruin Chloe's friendship with Adrien. And she admits it after proving she could have. Her only saving grace is that she plans to admit to Chloe it's a bluff after she had a few days to realize that Good Feels Good and told Adrien about it to make herself unable to do so...
- Apparently, Marinette and Adrien used to have nightmares about Volpina, Lila's Superpowered Evil Side created by Hawk Moth, even if they are the heroes who defeated her... And after the above incident they fully expect them to resume.
- The fic is named after the anger management class that Gabriel Agreste, upon realizing her temper, offered her because, in Lila's own words, he fears her to snap and turn into a junior high school shooter, even if she says that would never happen... Because all the guns in the Italian embassy (where she lives) are under heavy guard. Good thing she accepted those classes...
- Lila's rant in Italian about why she never got those classes before, in which she calls her father a "sperm donor" and her mother an "incubator" and details how she's going to scam them into letting her go to the anger management classes, hints at her being the victim of severe parental abuse. Marinette, who understands Italian thanks to her grandmother, is obviously unsettled...
- The Long May She Reign series is a very long one, for a simple reason: Marinette's being evil the whole time, playing the hero role because it would keep Tikki from suspecting her true nature while she looked for the Butterfly to start on greater plans. And then she succeeds... And recruits Lila, who is so fascinated with Marinette's true character to fall for her... And turn into a Yandere.
- Putting on the New Self is a slow-burn horror taking place after Marinette and Adrien defeated Hawkmoth and started dating. Throughout the story, Adrien often gets better for Marinette's benefit, from removing a human that she found annoying during a stresssful project to not needing any sleep so he can take care of their daughter Emma while she gets rest. It's not until the end that Marinette and the audience find out the truth: that Adrien has been using the Peacock Miraculous and his Amok to "fix" himself for her.
- When a horrified Marinette ask how does it not kill him, he happily answers that it does, but he fixed himself.
- The reason for Adriend's behavior? As a Sentimonster, he was created by his mother to be the perfect child for her to dote on. And now with Emilia dead and his father arrested, he will make himself the perfect husband and father for him family, no matter the cost.
- Marinette getting akumatized into Seamstress in Tender Words for one big reason: she isn't in control of herself. Because she refused Hawkmoth's offer, he took control of her, complete with sewing her mouth shut. Thankfully, she is freed from it. However, unlike the other victims of Akumas, she remembered everything.
- The Miraculous Ladybug/Marvel Cinematic Universe crossover What the Cat Dragged In offers many:
- A superhero willing to use lethal force going against an Akuma victim without knowing they're possessed and can be cured. Good thing Adrien warned Tony before he blasted the first Akuma victim he met...
- The effect Akumatizations could have had on Paris had not the mayor not clamped down on the news.
- Speaking of the mayor, can you imagine what he thought when Nick Fury showed up in a setting full of Meaningful Names and with a supervillain capable of corrupting anyone into a supervillain from moments of emotional weakness? It was Played for Laughs, but Andrè Bourgeois all but dragged Nick out of the city limits and started stonewalling SHIELD because he was terrified.
- Clint is scared when he enters Adrien's room... Because there's no mats under his climbing wall. The fact Adrien is not injured in the least doesn't calm him down.
- The powers of the various Akuma victims are reviewed, and they're obviously as scary as in the show. Then there's the Puppeteer, whose power to turn anyone into a minion by enchanting their dolls is made much scarier when Tony pronounces three words: "Hulk action figures".
- The theories on why Papillon targets Marinette and Adrien's school so often: he figured out they're keeping an eye there and is using the place as a trap, or that Alya's determination to find out Ladybug's secret could help him. And he may have had the idea from her revealing to the world she has a history book from that specific school.
- The SHIELD's theory on Papillon's long-term plan to get the Miraculouses: ruin Ladybug and Chat Noir's civilian lives and cause them to become vulnerable to Akumatization. Then there's the question of what would happen if he Akumatized a serial murderer or a convicted inmate... Or the fact his habit of targeting whoever helped Ladybug against an Akuma means he may now aim to Akumatize Black Widow, Hawkeye or Iron Man.
- And Papillon then does just that: when Fury orders the Avengers to pull out before they're targeted, Tony, who has started seeing through the glamour that keep Ladybug and Chat Noir's identities secret, gets angry because he wants to stay and clean up his own mess, and as soon as he leaves the room to try and calm down an Akuma swoops in.
- The potential uses of Cataclysm are brought up. Good thing it's Chat Noir to have it... And not, say, someone willing to drop the Eiffel Tower on someone, as was once done by Ladybug.
- SorryJustAnotherPerson, the author of The Adventures Of Panthera Noire and There's More Magic Out There, took the notion of the Kwamis being born from the concepts of reality, then expands on that their show's apperances are the results of their Miraculous's giving them cute and comprehendable forms, but return to their true Eldritch Abomination state when the Miraculous is destroyed. Four of them are presented here, though beware of Body Horror.
- Tikki, the Kwami of Creation, is a writhing mass of red fingers with numerous eyes all over, especially over her head. What's worse is that she's still calling out for Marinette, which makes for a jarring scene.
- Plagg is the tamest even as the Kwami of Destruction, being a single floating mass of Catacylsm with a singular green eye.
- Daizzi, the Kwami of Jubilation, is the Boar God from Princess Mononoke up to eleven, with multiple upper jaws stacked over each other and More Teeth than the Osmond Family in the lower jaw.
- Fluff, the Kwami of Evolution, is a Humanoid Abomination rabbit woman wearing a white robe and having multiple sets of ears. Her face is devoid of fur, and her beady eyes are staring straight out of the picture.
- ''Occam's Razor'': Offers a sensible reason to how Lila always gets away with her lies. Lila, or more accurately, Lie-la, was an akuma planted in the school all along with Charm Person powers. While it doesn't dwell on the fact much, Marinette explicitly states that Hawkmoth had been deliberately underselling his powers and to a rather insane degree. What is dwelled on is how Vera had been employing More than Mind Control on the class and had been Brainwashed and Crazy herself for over half a year and, thanks to how her powers worked, nobody noticed. She doesn't remember anything about her time in Paris, from the schoolwork she did to the hell she put Marinette through, because she was akumatized not even a day into showing up. Even her own parents, who are implied to be around very little anyway, raised little to no questions to her suddenly changing her name and personality out of nowhere.
- Crimson And Noire reinvents Lila from a Consummate Liar that manipulates her classmates with obvious lies to a subtle but more harrowing False Friend that uses rather realistic means of manipulation to take hold of one of her female classmate. Lila takes up as much of the other girl's free time as she can, uses Passive-Aggressive Kombat on anyone else that wants to be with the girl, and is even speculated in-universe to want to have the girl for herself romantically. The most unsettling part? The girl in question is Marinette Dupain-Cheng, who instead of being the most pro-active against Lila like in canon or in other fanfics is completely unaware of her true nature and sees Lila as a friendly if clingy transfer student.
- He Might Be a Keeper puts a disturbing spin on the "Sentimonster-Adrien" theory: Emilie has been creating a sentimonster in the form of an eight-year-old Adrien, killing him without hesitation if he turns out to be disobedient in any way, recreating him with the appearance and personality changes she wants, and repeating the process as many times as it takes until she and Gabriel finally have the perfect child. After she kills the latest one for getting upset and saying, I hate you!, she discusses the subject with her husband over dinner as casually as one might talk about the weather (while referring to the murder as a "discarding"), and Gabriels only reaction is mild surprise because this Adrien lasted almost a year. The first words that Emilie says to the new Adriennow only six or seven, with the implication that this one is "our" Adrienare the most chilling of all:
: Are you my mother? Emilie
: (embraces him lovingly)
I am your mother, Adrien. And I love you. I love you more than anyone ever will. Remember that, wont you? Young Adrien
: I will. Emilie
: Good. I dont want you to ever disappoint me, Adrien. Otherwise there will be...consequences
. Do you understand? Young Adrien
: I wont, Mother.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
- "Let Me Tell You About The Hole In My Face", a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic about Applejack telling you about...well, the hole in her face. More specifically, a massive, gaping, pulsating hole that replaces her face. A massive, gaping, pulsating hole that she describes in nauseating detail. Only she can see it, everyone else thinks she has a normal face. But she knows its there and so did her parents, who were killed by it after repeated contact with it made them both deathly ill. And then there's the ending... dear god the ending!
You will see all of this; you will see the hole in my face. Forever, you will see the hole in my face. You will see, and you'll never speak a word to anyone.
You'll see and you won't speak. Because you were never there, either.
- For what it's worth, the Nausea Fuel is slightly lessened by a comment from the author explaining that the hole isn't actually real, only existing in Applejack's delusional mind. However, that opens up a whole new can of Nightmare Fuel... imagine having a mental illness so severe that it not only causes you to believe you have a gaping wound in your face that doesn't actually exist and can't be seen by anyone but you, but convinces you that it was the cause of your parents' deaths.
- Winona by jmj starts off innocuously enough with the Reader meeting Applejack at Sweet Apple Acres as she introduces herself and talks about her dog Winona. The story then devolves into Winona encountering an Eldritch Horror of some sort in the past that devours Winona and takes on her consciousness with Applejack being too far gone insane at that point thinking that the creature before her is Winona. She then reveals to the Reader that Applejack had essentially been feeding her family to Winona in order to sate the monsters' hunger, and that she plans to now feed you to her dog.
- Ἐλπίς, Greek for "hope", is a dark and bizarre My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic that uses Princess Celestia's immortality for Surreal Horror. It goes like this: She isn't just thousands or even millions of years old; she is so impossibly, unfathomably ancient that she has lived through countless repeated iterations of the universe, from the birth of a new world to The End of the World as We Know It and the death of all life. Every time the world comes to an end, she is always the last one alive. She finds herself standing on an impossibly long stretch of blackness called the Road, and begins to walk along it, accompanied by a mysterious creature called the Butler. As she walks down the Road for what seems to be an eternity, she is forced to relive her memories of not only the past universe, but every single universe she lived through previously, and the life of every single living creature that had ever been alive at one point. Finally, at the end of the Road, she is given a choice: to let herself and the universe die, or to restart from nothing again. And every time, she chooses to start over again, in hopes that she can prevent the end of the world. Over, and over, and over, and over...
- In Step Right In and Start Again, because of Starlight Glimmer's tampering with Star Swirl's time-travel spell, she has trapped herself in an unbreakable, eternal time loop where she appears every morning in the library thinking she's awaiting her punishment from Twilight and her friends. The rest of the world goes on as usual, but the time loop never ends for her. She can't even be Mercy Killed because the time loop brings her back if she dies. Despite the best efforts of Twilight and her friends to save Starlight from this fate, even they are unable to break the loop. Starlight outlives her parents, everyone in Ponyville, the Mane Six, the alicorns, all life on the planet, and the planet itself, eventually becoming the last living thing in an empty, pitch-black universe, still awaiting her punishment. Forever.
- In Blink Twilight learns the secrets behind teleportation and that it isn't just "Pop, Poof, and you're there." Instead, Teleportation essentially shuffles the Teleporter into an empty pocket dimension and creates a perfect copy of the Teleporter that is sent to the originals location and takes their place with all of the originals' memories. The Twilight Sparkle we follow discovers that the Pocket Dimension she is sent to is filled with the corpses of all other previous Twilight Sparkles that had starved to death unable to escape; there are even corpses of her friends and other Ponies that had teleported with her, along with the fact that she learns that she wasn't the original Twilight Sparkle; understanding that the first Twilight Sparkle now exists only as a pile of loose crushed bones at the bottom of the pile. Eventually, our Twilight stumbles across a deranged and Cannibalistic other Twilight Sparkle that tries to kill her.
- There's an entire Recursive Fanfiction for "Blink", with one of the more darker ones being Rapid Blink, where all of the Twilight Sparkles that are manifested in the pocket dimension are able to find other bubble Pocket dimensions to teleport into but ultimately the Twilights are still unable to find a way back out into the real world again; and scarily-enough they all know that the interior space of the pocket dimension that they are all brought into whenever Twilight Sparkle herself teleports is finite. The Twilight Council decides to try and find a way to warn the latest Twilight Sparkle about the truth of teleportation. The story ends with the last Twilight Sparkle that is teleported in; sandwiched between the "Ceiling" of the pocket dimension and the massive pile of Twilight Sparkle bodies beneath her that have all died, pressing tightly to a folder containing the truth of teleportation in the hopes that the last Twilight to teleport out will receive the information and never teleport again: since if that happens; there will be no other Twilight to appear in the real world.
- In Everfree and the Poisoned Flower, Fluttershy tells the Cutie Mark Crusaders a scary story to keep them from going into the Everfree Forest, seemingly based on the Latin American legend of La Llorona. It's about a filly named Oleander and her little sister, Everfree, who lived by the forest. Just like the Crusaders, Oleander wanted more than anything to find her cutie mark. One day, a trickster named Coyote gave her a map that he said would lead her to her cutie mark, but said she had to leave Everfree with him. Oleander followed the map and discovered her namesake flower, but when she got back home, she still hadn't gotten her cutie mark. And while she was gone, Everfree had disappeared. Their mother refused to let Oleander come home until she found her sister. Now she roams the Forest eternally, searching and calling for Everfree.
She never gave up, though. Shes still looking today. Sometimes you can still hear her calling her sisters name. Thats why they call it the Everfree Forest, you know. Sometimes Oleander catches a little filly who reminds her of her sister, and then...well, maybe Ill tell you when youre older.
- The entirety of "He had no fingers", a sort of Cosmic Horror Story Naruto fic, starting with Naruto's body and spirit getting warped beyond recognition by the Nine-Tails until... well, the title is indicative. "Highlight" right at the beginning: Naruto's belly opening up and DEVOURING Kakashi (and Naruto then feeding the bits to passing strays). And that's the mildest thing in the whole fic.
- The Uzumaki Clan in The Uzumaki Massacre are The Dreaded for a very, very good reason, shown when Oonoki and other veterans recall killing them during the Second Shinobi War.
First Old Man:
I saw a woman. Couldn't have been younger than ninety, probably a hundred, they live that damn long you know. She was holding a sword in her left hand, because she'd lost her right arm, and pretty much everything, shoulder to hip, sternum out by the time I saw her, looked like it had been blasted off by a raiton
, but I saw that old woman cut down no less than fifty trained ninja before some poor bastard finally cut off her head but... That old lady's body kept going, that headless body cut down five more men, before she fell and drove her sword into the heart of the man who beheaded her. One of my buddies set her on fire, just in case. I...I don't know if I was seeing things, but that blackened, headless corpse, it looked like it still tried to get up again.
Second Old Man: My brother and I were in that hell together. We saw a kid, maybe three years old, crawling through the blood and muck, missing both his legs, looking like he'd been coughing up blood. My brother went to put the kid out of his misery. The kid jumped. With just his arms, the kid jumped ten feet and tore my brother's throat out with his teeth. He came at me before my brother even hit the ground, I was lucky to get my arm up in time. The little monster still tore my arm out at the shoulder, but it bought me enough time to get a kunai out and plant it in his head. When everything was over and we gathered the bodies, we found thousands more who'd been killed like my brother, with little bite marks where their throats were.
- The fic Asteria Nightmare gives us a whole island haunted by Nightmares, which are hellish creatures feeding on dreams. Dreams as your ambition and goal in life; when it's taken away from you, you become a mess gradually wasting away. When Nami tries to make Zoro remember how he wants to become the World's Greatest Swordsman, he almost goes into shock because he can feel something is missing and he's unable to remember what. And there's Luffy, whose dream to become the Pirate King is his entire life, going outright catatonic.
- In the last chapter, an Apocalyptic Log reveals how Nightmares were unleashed on the physical world: the island was inhabited by a peaceful civilization, and when travelers came upon their shores, they innocently revealed their ability to dreamwalk. It all spiraled downwards as the traveler's leader wanted a way to physically explore the Dream world, making this also a first-grade Tear Jerker.
- There are a lot of disturbing Pokémon fics out there, but the second half of Reunion is just downright disturbing and at times grotesque. It starts off as a slightly darker Ash/Misty fic, with a lot of funny scenes, and then Butch gets his throat torn out by a Mightyena, a sadistic psychic Rocket elite who assimilates the minds of the humans and Pokémon he kills is torn apart as the souls he absorbed struggle to free themselves by growing off of his flesh, before throwing themselves to their deaths... with smiles on their lips...and it gets worse from there...
- Pokémon Channel is a cute game, right? Nothing based on it could be that bad, right? Well, there's this little gem known as Pokémon Dead Channel, which shows horror and Gorn in some of their highest and most scarring forms. Here's a nice little description of a Magikarp, and it's not much worse than most of the other descriptions in the story:
- Some of the descriptions in Cori Falls's Pokémon: The Series fics. Some notable examples are "The Power That's Inside" where Meowth's narrative describes Pikachu's electric attack hitting Jessie and James as "frying flesh and bone alike", the brutal mass beating of Ash in "New Directions 1" wherein his many injuries are described in great detail and it's clear that if not for the healing lake he might have died, and Jessie's grandparents' beating of Ash and Misty in "Never Too Late". There's something unsettling about the image of two sweet old people pulverizing twelve year olds.
- Experimenting Fear is a Pokémon fanfic that details a 10-year-old Nando being kidnapped by a deranged Mad Scientist who tortures people using their worst fears. Said kidnapping is the least frightening thing that happens in this story: The poor kid is stripped down to his underwear, chained to a toilet and tortured with high-pitched sound frequencies, then is made deaf by the scientist firing a gun right next to his head.
- By the time he sees said gun, he's been through so much torture that he ends up wishing it would be used to kill him. Let us repeat, a ten-year-old boy had been put through so much torture that he wanted to die!
- A line from the original story that has since been removed had the scientist threaten Nando with various other torture methods if he refused to tell him what his worst fear was, including being violated with a pipe or forced to swallow glass.
- Even worse: By the end, the scientist still hasn't been caught, even though it's been about 10 years and Nando is now an adult. He's still out there, torturing and murdering innocent people... and there's nothing stopping him from hunting down Nando again and possibly finishing the job.
- And if that wasn't enough, Nando also has a deranged grandmother who abuses him horribly, beating him with a cane, telling him he'd be better off dead and that his parents should have gotten rid of him when he was little. He avoids telling his parents what she does and says to him, afraid they won't believe him (a common behavior exhibited by abuse victims in Real Life). Even after Nando is tortured and mutilated by the scientist, she tells him that it serves him right and things would be so much easier if he were dead. Thankfully, Nando's mother overhears her and finally throws her out.
- The Master's Trick, a Pokémon fanfic featuring the Trick Master from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, May, and a young man named Eddie who is the story's narrator. At first the story seems pretty normal: with the main character meeting and befriending the Trick Master. Then it all starts to go downhill as the Trick Master, in an attempt to overcome May's challenge to beat his Trick House, creates a new universe that begins to eat the old one up and he and May apparently die.
- For the series' 20th anniversary, someone made a series of videos focusing on different Pokemon types. The art and music is superb, and the amount of detail and references to various Pokedex entries and plot points throughout the franchise makes the videos an awesome and heartwarming tribute. However, that doesn't mean that they shy away from the more disturbing aspects of Pokemon:
- Here's what they did for Ghost-types. It starts out okay, if a smidge ominous due to the Lavender Town theme...then it gets terrifying. The song slowly gets more and more distorted as various Ghost-types are shown attacking and sometimes killing humans (or just sneaking up on them) and it eventually seems to end with Cubone and his mother...but then a Gengar shows up. After the Gengar, we see a Banette—a live-action Banette—get up and chase the viewer. And then, Giratina emerges, gains a shadowy Slasher Smile and looms over the screen as the music gets more distorted...then, Giratina's wings envelope the screen and the song glitches to a halt.
- Somehow, the one for Psychic-types is even worse. Like with the above mentioned video, it mostly just focuses on the Pokemon that make up this particular type, but they're showcased in terrifying ways. Ironically, the memetically creepy Mr. Mime only gets a cameo and is relatively tame. From there, we get such lovely gems as a pair of Meowstic who look like the twins from The Shining, a Tim Burton-esque depiction of Gothorita luring a boy out of his bed to play with her, a Gothitelle crying as she has a vision about a man (presumably her trainer) growing old and dying, Solrock and Lunatone doing...something, a brief close-up on a bouncing Spoink's heart (with the strong implication that it's about to stop beating) and Jynx...oh sweet Arceus above, Jynx...it's all peppered by a series of images that seem to be about Sabrina slowly going insane and eventually culminates in Mewtwo's creation and the birth of Deoxys. Images of the cloning process are seen with a Solosis being injected into an egg cell, and then Reuniclus is shown in an ultrasound. This Pokemon line has to do with cells and mitosis. Sabrina is seen as a child the moment she gets her psychic powers, and she's seen looking more haggard and unstable while she has to perform her psychic powers for scientists. At the end she's in a straitjacket, an Abra beside her and a Lapras in suspended animation in a tank behind her. All three have electrodes fastened to their heads, being monitored for something, while Sabrina looks miserably towards the camera.
- Here's the one for Bug Pokemon. It's mostly cute and nice to look at, but it shows Paras. The video cuts to other bug types, then back to Paras. The mushrooms on its back are a little bigger and Paras's pupils are getting smaller. Another cut to more Bug types. Then another shot to Paras, who stops moving, the mushrooms huge now and Paras's pupils pinpricks and the eyes cloudy. There's a final shot to Paras, only it's a Parasect now, and some of the dots on the mushroom form a smile. We saw this poor Pokemon get taken over by fungi.
- The one for Poison types is pretty freaky. It starts off cute, with a female trainer riding her bike. She spots what looks like a Pokeball on on the side of the path, but when she disembarks to get it she realizes the Pokeball is really a Fungoos. She gets poisoned and faints, and what follows can only be described as an fever dream where many Poison types appear with unsettling, electronic music that eventually picks up in tempo. A strange voice is heard chanting near the middle of the song after the tempo increase.note All of the Pokemon in this one are portrayed menacingly but Victribell takes the cake. There is a grove full of them and one is zoomed in on, then made transparent to reveal an arm sticking out of the acid in its stomach. At the end of the video, the female trainer regains consciousness, looking exhausted.
- The Dark Type video has its moments, as you might expect, as most of the Pokemon and villain teams shown look menacing. However, one major highlight is a shot of a group of Cacturne slowly sneaking up on a researcher. The artist helpfully added a shaking animation and a terrified facial expression as he realizes what's about to happen. There are also shots of Absol being driven away by a group of hands, Yveltal absorbing thousands upon thousands of life energy, and Hoopa Unbound summoning Legendaries, all set to intense music.
- There used to be an artist named PokemonFromHell whose page has since been deleted, but their works can still be found, spread around the Internet. All of their pieces have one central theme: ordinary Pokémon reimagined as Eldritch abominations from the deepest depths of Tartarus. Inspired by various sources, including scary Pokédex entries, Fridge Horror relating to the Pokémon themselves, behavior of real-life animals, monsters from other video games, and more.
- Skarmory's entry◊, inspired by a Pokédex entry stating that Skarmory raise their chicks in thorny nests to toughen their metal skins, shows a badly bleeding and crying baby Skarmory in its nest, next to the impaled corpse of its sibling, while the parents look on stoically with nightmarish glowing eyes.
Caption: Not all chicks are able to endure the fearsome brambles of the nest...
- What makes this one creepier is the fact that there are birds in real life that have a similar Social Darwinist viewpoint of their offspring. For example, some species of vulture lay two eggs at a time, one as a backup in case the first egg doesn't survive. If both eggs hatch, the parents don't try to raise both chicks. They only feed the older one; the younger chick starves to death and eventually gets eaten by its older sibling.
- Luvdisc's entry◊ depicts a gruesome parody of a Spaghetti Kiss, with two Luvdisc feasting on the internal organs of a third, dead Luvdisc. Happy Valentine's Day!
- Numel's entry◊ shows the poor thing with lava bleeding from its eyes and running down its body.
- Behold, Slowpoke◊... or rather, the desiccated, hollowed-out corpse of a Slowpoke that's been dead for so long that spiders have spun webs in its tail, insides, and eye sockets.
- Ditto◊ as a humanoid multi-tentacled monster chasing after a terrified and blood-covered Red, dressed in Red's clothes and hat but still with its own eyes and face, creating a bizarre Uncanny Valley effect.
- Litwick sports a gruesome Slasher Smile with a melting mouth and eyes. The background is filled with the faces of anguished spirits (presumably Litwick's victims after it ate their souls) that appear to be wailing in agony.
Caption: "Oh, let me guide your way, by the way, your soul is DELICIOUS."
- Tentacool◊ squeezing a Shellos with its tentacles so hard that purple goop comes pouring out of its body.
- The entry for Grimer and Muk◊ will make sure you never want to go into a sewer ever again.
- Chespin◊ has vines growing out of its eye socket, leaving its eye dangling by a few strings of flesh.
- This lovely piece◊ shows what happens if a Butterfree is forced out of its Metapod form too early...
- Remember Bagon's Pokédex entry that mentions it regularly jumping off of cliffs in an attempt to fly? Unfortunately for the poor thing, Surprisingly Realistic Outcome occurs in the worst possible way◊.
- Not graphic enough for you? Have a Rattata being vivisected alive◊... and witness its revenge◊ after it evolves into Raticate.
- Chansey◊ cracking open like an egg as... something... emerges from its body, tearing its way out like a chestburster from Alien. Even worse, all that's visible of the newborn monster-thing is a pair of eyes and a bloody Slasher Smile. Whatever it is, it's no Happiny.
- How sharp are Scyther's scythes? Sharp enough to slice a Pachirisu clean in half◊!
- The Alola starters◊. Rowlet looks like a creature from The Lost Woods, Litten's head appears to have a line of crude stitching down the middle, and Popplio's head, eyes, nose, and torso are swelling like balloons...the poor thing looks like it's one pinprick away from exploding into a gory mess.
- How do you make Igglybuff scary? Turn the spiral on its forehead into an Uzumaki homage, complete with Eye Scream!
- According to Sneasel's Pokédex entries, it likes to eat Pidgey eggs... but who says it wouldn't go for Exeggcute instead?
- In Joltik's entry, a mean little boy who's been stomping on Joltiks is about to get a very nasty comeuppance from a giant Joltik fusion monster looming menacingly behind him. Though the ":3" faces might lessen the horror for some.
- The Nuzlocke comic Sins of the Father features a prologue that reveals part of the method through which Team Plasma indoctrinated children to become their next "king": Forcing them to watch graphic footage of Pokemon being abused. The worst part? One of said videos is a Crush Film of a Glameow being stomped to death. Bear in mind that N and his fellow candidates were children when Ghetsis forced them to view this stuff. And then there's the fact that N Speaks Fluent Animal...so he could hear the poor Glameow pleading for its life. And Ghetsis is clearly enjoying every minute of this. And for the cherry on top, the author reveals in the comments that they included that due to the fact that they witnessed a similar video by accident, after someone thought it'd be such a good idea to post it on facebook.
- In this comic, a Nidoran is put into its Poké Ball by its Trainer during a journey, who promises that she'll let it out once they cross the volcano. But for some reason she doesn't, and the Nidoran remains trapped in there for a long, long time...so long that the Poké Ball's data begins to degrade. The text conveying its thoughts gets more and more glitchy as the data corruption levels get higher and higher, the emergency release system fails, and the Nidoran becomes an "error missingNO_". The last panel reveals the Trainer's skull lying in the grass along with the empty shell of her Squirtle and the now-defunct Poké Ball, along with the text, "I miss you so, so much."
- Agony in Pink goes into detail about the torture of Kimberly. Even more disturbing is that this was meant to turn on readers.
- Personality Conflicts runs on this and angst. First, you have Tommy's multiple personalities anthropomorphized as an Eldritch Abomination. Then, you have... anything dealing with Nyghtmayr or the Shadow Empire. Did we mention that since the main rangers are trying to get witnesses for Zordon's trial, children fight Shadowborg?
- Power Rangers GPX has very little, even with its SIU AU version, but chapter 6 changes everything. When we're first introduced to the alchemist Ronald, he's a Large Ham, typical Power Rangers brute before it's revealed that all the defeats he's suffered over time has turned him psychotic and out for revenge against the Rangers and he takes it out on them by torturing them with the worst pain imaginable. And then his death makes it WORSE.
- What Do You Want? has a few moments:
- Kuno weaponizing the Dramatic Thunder.
- Himura Tanaka all but forcing Ranma to go at school as a girl and join her volleyball team on pain of framing him for a sex offender charge, using Ranma's refusal to hurt civilians and the fact she's a Yakuza Princess to shield herself from retaliation. That also leads into Nabiki discovering that her subordinate Hana took over all her operations at school, and, differently from her, has absolutely zero qualms, having exchanged them for blackmail on Nabiki. Blackmail that could potentially set Shampoo on her.
- And as the story progresses, the depths of Himura's sociopathy.
- Himura beat her own father into a permanent coma, and her reasons for doing so.
- Akane snapping at Kuno and punching him on a steel door until she manages to punch him through.
- Shampoo doing her thing:
- How headmaster Kuno got away with his antics for so long and puts Himura in her place: he's a retired Yakuza boss, and still has good friends there, including Himura's grandfather.
- The Hentai Horde from Akane and Nabiki's point of view: a rape gang. And when Akane starts shaming most of them into the Heel Realization, the Kendo team and a few others actually start acting like one, at least until Shampoo and Ukyo step in and put them into traction.
- The Kendo team was planning to use Himura's conditions that prevented Ranma from fighting back against aggressions on school grounds to force Akane into a subservient role. That's when Shampoo and Ukyo stepped in.
- Nodoka Saotome actually manages to be scarier than Shampoo:
- She has suddenly become insistent that Ranma marries and father a child right now. Why? Because she expects him and his wife to go on a training trip and leave her the child to raise, and she sees it as a reward for letting Genma take Ranma on the training trip.
- She had been using photocopies of the seppuku contract as stationery.
- Rin's incredible power when hitting a volleyball had been Played for Laughs for most of the fic... Then she first experienced Genma Saotome and his attitude toward Ranma, and decided to throw the ball at him after hitting it with all her strength. Normal people would have died from that.
- A Tale of Two Wallets has its version of the Golden Pair Arc:
- This time, the target of Azusa's antics is not Ryoga but Shampoo. On first reading it's hilarious... Then it dawns that Shampoo has no qualms about killing people and is frighteningly efficient about it, and the reader realizes Azusa will pay for it.
- Here Ranma's partner in the fight is Nabiki... Who, while quite fit, isn't anywhere near as strong as cast's martial artists, and now has to go against one. When the realization dawns on her, her solution is to ask help to Kodachi.
- In the meantime, Shampoo is staying at the Tendo's... In her cursed cat form, with Nabiki, who here is the one engaged to Ranma, having decided to take care of what she believes is Shampoo's pet who acts almost as if she understands her confidences and can read her journal on her computer. One can imagine Nabiki's horror when she realizes Shampoo is the cat...
- Shampoo's revenge on Azusa: she shatters the frozen pool she is on, almost drowning her and Mikado. They still have to be hospitalized for pneumonia.
- Darker and Edgier Redwall fanfic Vengeance Quest is brilliant, but terrifying. The violence was one thing, but Guardcaptain Kiern's attitude is also creepy: he's pretty sure the actions of his sadistic co-workers are morally wrong, and lets them happen anyway. There's a scene where Captain Veneno rapes a prisoner in order to force her husband to spill the info they need, in front of Kiern, who's getting progressively more uncomfortable, but still doesn't do anything to stop him because there's no other way they'll get the information. Later on he talks to Big Bad Nightdeath Longclaws about it, essentially asking to be persuaded that it was okay to do this. Brrrr.
- It Makes Me Happy That I'm Not Them, set in an Ironic Hell, veers between the merely eerie and extreme Gorn. It works surprisingly well for a horror fic based on books aimed at ten-year-olds, but it's still terrifying.
Sonic the Hedgehog
- A Rose and a Thorn, a fic series on AdultFanFiction.net. Especially during the second fic, in which Shadow is tortured by GUN, has nightmares about it after being rescued, and then proceeds to stab an illusionary Amy in both palms with knives during a fit resulting from his experience at the GUN facility.
- Through the Monitor, a Sonic the Hedgehog Fanfic that has characters from our world become characters in the Sonic universe, has as a main villain Void from Sonic Shuffle, who in this universe is reinterpreted as a Psychopathic Manchild. As a result, every scene he's in is Nightmare Fuel, but the scariest and most evil thing he does is in chapter 56, when he sinks a cruise ship, killing (almost) everyone on board Forthe Evulz. Sure, they were saved, but it's still scary and a Moral Event Horizon.
- In chapter 13, the murder of the Thorndykes save for Chris, because they had the Green Chaos Emerald. It serves as Eggman's Moral Event Horizon and one of the fanfic's darkest moments.
- Tales of Sonic the Hedgehog: Dr. Robotnik's Villainous Breakdown in chapter 41 is chilling to behold. Upon finding out Sonic and co. have beaten him to the Time Stones, rather than his usual Large Ham explosions of rage, he descends into Tranquil Fury, before descending into Suddenly Shouting, still with a smile on his face, before going back to a calm state and ordering Snively to ready his latest Humongous Mecha. He spends the entirety of the ensuing fight with the Freedom Fighters alternating between calm and screaming at them like a maniac, swearing he's going to use the Time Stones to erase Sonic from history. Snively and the Freedom Fighters are both unnerved by his demeanor, and it's so unsettling that Word of God confirms he creeped himself out as he wrote it.
- This fic series Avenging Naboo, explores one possible interpretation of how Darth Jar Jar could have unfolded. What if, like Anakin, Jar Jar joined the Dark Side over his love for Padmé?
- In the 'fic Going Solo, Han Solo finds himself in one thanks to being stabbed in the arm and the tip breaking loose and lodging there. First, a Mad Doctor sent to treat the captive is angry about his family dying on the Death Star, and he makes trying to remove the blade tip as painful as he can. Han is given a drug to amplify everything he feels and prevent him from passing out. The doctor ignores the use of a scanner and just digs and pokes through Han's arm flesh looking for the blade, all the while gloating about how much it's going to hurt and how much pain he hopes it's causing. He doesn't even manage to extract it before Han slams his good arm into the guy's head due to the blinding pain and is then knocked out protecting Leia. Later, the group escapes and gets aboard a ship bound for base. The problem is that though Luke managed to remove the knife tip, Han's arm is badly infected and must be operated on to remove the diseased tissue if he is to be prevented from losing it, or possibly losing his life. Han also has a raging case of pneumonia, so the general anesthetic on board can't be used to put him out, and there are no partial sedatives on the ship. The result: The ship's medical droid lasering off parts of Han's arm flesh, nearly to the bone in places, while Han lies fully awake, writhing and screaming and begging them to stop, with Luke, Leia and Wedge all trying to hold him down. Worse, Han is partially delirious by then and likely struggling to understand why in his mind he's being tortured more. Everyone is glad when he blacks out.
- The fic Important Information, with all the torture Han endures. He's beaten, whipped until his back is raw, burned on the raw flesh with a hot metal bar, quite a few bones are broken, and then there are the blood parasites...flesh-eating creepy-crawlies released onto his skin to burrow into and out of the open wounds. And the drugs that amplify the pain he feels. And when he still refuses to talk after all of that, he's repeatedly raped after being given a second drug to heighten the pleasure feelings. In the sequel, His captor even ends up torturing him after her death, apparently having transferred her life essence into him. She intends to push him to kill himself so she can take his body for herself. It takes a big Battle in the Center of the Mind to finally get rid of her and then he still has to come to terms with the same and humiliation of the rape before he's able to be intimate with Leia again.
- When Darth Longinus starts fighting in Episode 10 of Tomica Hero Rescue Pups, he effortlessly slaughters an entire regiment like Darth Vader did in Rogue One, but also stabs the troops through the head, explodes their guns in their faces, throws a sniper round back through its sniper's head, catches missiles and blows them up unharmed, and would have killed Everest afterwards if Skye hadn't shown up.
- Food Scandal features Darth Vader finding out someone has contaminated food destined to the stormtroopers for profit, and dealing with that. As much as his victims deserve it, it's still unsettling:
- Realizing she is unwittingly setting Darth Vader on her direct superior and another officer, the lieutenant that found out the contamination tries to make it appear they sent her. Vader sees through her lie, gives her a light Force-Choke and throws her on a wall as a warning to never lie to him.
- One of the officers who didn't care enough to warn Vader is thrown in the wall with enough force to leave a dent. They are on the Executor, a heavily armored Star Dreadnought... And Vader threw a human body with enough force to leave a dent in its inner wall.
- Once the source of the contaminated food is identified, Vader goes there to deal with it personally... And stages a planetary invasion. Sure, it turns out necessary because the installation is so huge a quick raid will be needed to trap the culprits before they can escape, but Darth Vader has just showed up with a ship so huge it wreacks havoc with most civilian identification scannners, and nobody has any idea why.
- The main culprit's reaction when the protagonist confronts him with evidence of his guilt is to try and murder her on the spot. Good thing Veers had her wearing high-grade body armor, or she would have died.
- The Empire's treatment of the culprits: a public trial set in such way they don't get any shred of simpathy due their motivations of greed and egotism (motivations that hadn't been faked at all), with the obvious end result.
- The effects of the contaminant... And how most people in Provisions don't care, as they were Navy and the food was going to the Stormtroopers. Good thing that their attempts to make the protagonist pay run afoul of general Veers informing the Stormtroopers why exactly that Navy officer was being ostracized by her colleagues...
- Wilhuff Tarkin, Hero of the Rebellion may have Tarkin as a member of the Rebellion... But he's still Wilhuff Tarkin during the reign of the Empire:
- Order 66 is bad enough... But then there's the fact that it's an official order to deal with a potential Jedi rebellion, so seeing Clonetroopers going after Ahsoka (who's not a Jedi anymore) after receiving it actually manages to unsettle Tarkin.
- After the mind control chips were deactivated, the Clonetroopers nearly mutined. And the fic makes clear there's billions of them around, all heavily armed and well trained.
- Tatooine is a Single-Biome Planet, specifically a Thirsty Desert. It had a drought.
- Tarkin's first instinct after his son is killed: commit genocide on the supposed culprits. Thankfully, he reigns himself in... And then figures out the real murderer was Darth Vader.
- Galen Erso is just as terrifying when it comes to his daughter's safety, being willing to kill everyone on the Death Star just to get to Tarkin and Krennic, that he blames for having to separate from her.
- At one point, a large group of Tusken Raiders prepares to attack Anchorhead, presumably to murder and torture its inhabitants, and the main force of Tatooine's Imperial garrison is too far to stop them... So Tarkin does his thing, and sets a plan that ends with Luke Skywalker and Tarkin's niece Rivoche getting the Tuskens trampled by their own Banthas.
- The plan almost fails due something unexpected: A'Sharad Hett, a Jedi survivor, and leader of those Tuskens.
- Jabba the Hutt manages to be just as terrifying as Tarkin:
- As mentioned above, when Tatooine was in the middle of a drought he ordered his men to collect a water tax just to show off his power over the planet.
- The Tusken Raiders hate all settlers, and messily murder anyone trying to take their sacred wine. Yet, they give said wine to Jabba.
- He casually found evidence that Luke and Leia are Anakin's children. Good thing he owes him and considers them having inherited his favor...
- And with all of the above, he's quite pragmatic about things, making him that much harder to take down.
- It's played for laughs, but a Stormtrooper has figured out that Luke is Anakin Skywalker's son. Thankfully she's under Vader, who is lenient enough to not care (and she doesn't tell him Luke is Anakin's son and not nephew), so the Inquisitors don't come after him...
- The Pius Dea, an ancient extremist religious movement that for a time controlled the Republic, and despised aliens. They were so loathsome that, millennia later, other human supremacists are still appalled by them, and Tarkin covertly pointing out the Empire is using their methods is enough to leave even Stormtroopers unsettled... And Imperial high admiral Octavian Grant, who considers the Pius Dea era as the greatest days of the Republic.
- The fact some Rebels are actually criminals using the Rebellion as a cover and to get heavy weapons, and that are willing to steal funds for hospitals.
- R2-D2 and C-3PO have a gruesome reputation, having apparently almost driven insane an Imperial admiral. And they keep a stash of illegal blasters to plant on people they want to get arrested by the Empire.
- After learning of the Mnggal-Mnggal Tarkin agrees that the Death Star is a legitimate solution to deal with the planet it has corrupted... And is surprised to find out there's a second planet that the Death Star should be used on. What planet is just as horrifying remains unknown as of this writing.
- Tarkin's reaction to the discovery of Project Starscream.
- The truth about Barriss Offee: the one who bombed the Jedi Temple was a Separatist clone infiltrator... With all her memories and personality, that hadn't been activated yet - meaning the real one would have likely done the same thing. The clone eventually recovered her sanity... But the original has fallen and joined the Inquisitors.
- Darth Vader destroying Malachor V. By accident: he had a Villainous Breakdown close to a Dark Side weapon, and that was the result.
Super Mario Bros.
- Game.bps is Wakana's 2016 Halloween hack of Super Mario World. Among other things, it features a the image from M A R I O as the background to the Big Boo boss.
- Prior to making the above hack, Wakana made her entry for the 2014 Halloween Level Design Contest, known as the Nightmare House. It's scariness is conveyed right from the opening message box. "If you suffer heart problems, don't play this. Seriously. I won't be responsible of your death."
- A Youtuber named Joey Perleoni made a slew of fake anti-piracy error screens for Mario Party DS, all of which are unsettling in their own ways. Each one ends with a warning that piracy is a serious crime while, on the bottom screen, Mario and the gang are locked behind bars as the words "POWER OFF NOW" flash. Perleoni managed to get it even creepier with this specific anti-piracy screen. Imagine, after seeing that creepy anti-piracy screen, you left your DS on, and your DS turns on an "anti-piracy self reporter" that connects you to law enforcement, while your DS tells you to turn yourself in.
- The beginning of The Sea Shadow. Bobbery discovers a near dead Vivian, who is so badly beaten that he doesn't know what color her hair is because it's so coated in blood. It gets worse later on it's revealed that Beldam, Vivian's own sister, did this to her.
- Bridgette's nightmare in Total Drama Comeback begins with a blood-stained Bridgette huddling in the corner of the shack, crying in pure fear after having just witnessed Geoff's murder. Suddenly, she hears snapping twigs and the creak of a door. She also sees Ezekiel's toque. Is it him here to comfort her and get her away from the camp grounds, just like Geoff tried to do? Nope. Its a cleaver-wielding Eva, back from a killing spree of everyone in camp. Long story short: Bridgette's next!
- There used to be a Total Drama World Tour fanfic (now removed) called "Pineapple Rape". It involved Alejandro shoving a pineapple up Heather's vagina.
- Privilege contains a nasty dose of Realism-Induced Horror. The story is about the girls (mainly Heather and Courtney) being jealous over Duncan seemingly getting special privileges, such as a phone, being able to rest after challenges and his own stash of juice. Heather, deciding to teach him a lesson, swipes his stuff and hides it. No one thinks anything of it until the next morning, when they find Duncan in the mess hall pale and on the verge of passing out. When a concerned Geoff asks Bridgette if they know where Duncan's medical bag is, it comes out that Duncan is actually a type 1 diabetic and what Heather stole was actually his medicine and glucose level monitor, meaning that Heather very nearly killed Duncan all because no one bothered to ask Duncan what the things were.
- A fanfiction simply called Seven (deleted, but can be read via the Wayback Machine) takes imprinting and Rapid Aging to their logical conclusions, portraying Renesmee with the body of an eighteen-year-old and the mind of a seven-year-old. On her seventh birthday, she doesn't understand why everyone is getting her "adult" presents like a car, a wedding magazine, and a lingerie set (described in childish terms as "a bra and underpants that are very frilly and red"). After the party is over and everyone has left, Jacob (who she calls "Uncle Jacob") takes her into the bedroom and...gives her a last birthday present. And everyone—including her entire family—is not only okay with it happening (because she's not a "real" seven-year-old), but fully supportive of it and thinks it's beautiful and romantic. She's being treated like an adult and forced into a relationship she doesn't understand and never wanted, with a man she's only ever thought of as an uncle until now, while she's still at the mental and chronological age to be calling her parents Mommy and Daddy and wanting to wear a princess dress for her birthday. Pass the Brain Bleach, please.
- One of the most unnerving parts is that when Renesmee asks what they're doing, Jacob says they're playing a game, like he's talking to a child (which he is). He knows that she's mentally a child, but he doesn't care, because she has the physical body of an adult, and that's all that matters to him. To him, it doesn't matter if she's upset, or confused, or scared, or hurt—because he's imprinted on her, they're soulmates forever, and he can do with her whatever he wants.
- For You, I Will, a Twilight hatefic that twists the concept of imprinting into something horrifying: the imprintee, Melanie, is a psychopath, and now has Hijacked The Werewolf... and he ends up liking it. Worse, not only has she got Embry to help her torture and kill people, she successfully convinces him to wipe out his entire tribe.
- What's worse is that the author didn't even need to twist the concept- everything she based the fic on came directly from canon.
- What's even worse is that before Melanie orders Embry to commit genocide on his whole tribe, the two of them talk about how, instead of outright stopping them, Jacob presented them with a compromise, that, as stated above, is completely canon-compliant. They can torture, rape, kill, and eat whoever they want, as long as they try not to do it to innocent people and stick to criminals. Jacob and the rest of the pack think it's perfectly okay to let them do this, because they're doing it for the sake of the bond between imprinter and imprintee.
- The Shape of the Nightmare to Come. Long story short perfect example of how to make Warhammer 40,000 even more packed with Grimdark than it already was. Just a few examples:
- Orcs goes into fight with Tyranids resulting in the two species merging into unstoppable New Devourer, that eats half of the galaxy
- God Emperor Of Mankind dies only to be reborn in Warp as Star Father Chaos God of Order
- Then there is the Ophilim Kiasoz that destroys entire star systems just by passing through them.
- The Nex (Keyboard attempts to bite editor's fingers off and snags a thumb, new editor takes over) the merest mention of which causes the scroll the story is written on to turn into a swarm of spiders that nearly devour the author of the story before a sentry gun destroys them.
Other fan works:
- Most of X meets I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream fanfics deserve a place here forever, especially Katawa Shoujo crossover "With apologies to Harlan Elliston". There is something... chilling while reading constant mind/body rapes about girls from a somewhat heartwarming visual novel.
- Speaking of Katawa Shoujo, fans have drawn some very unsettling fanarts, such as how Rin lost her arms and Lily becoming a yandere.
- Tiberium Wars is loaded with this, most often dealing with the Brotherhood of Nod. Among the highlights:
- Forward, a Firefly fic that doesn't skimp on the horror from the series.
- In the first story arc alone, you have River and Jayne being graphically tortured by Niska. Then later on, you get more graphic brutality with the Reavers assaulting an Alliance ship.
- Inducer psychics. You think River was kind of creepy? She can only read your mind. In this story, one of the other projects the Academy was working on were Inducer psychics, who can alter and control your emotions and feelings. But its worse than mere Mind Manipulation; there is no defense against them, even if you know what they're doing, and their effects are lasting. If an Inducer makes you hate someone, you'll keep hating them for no fathomable reason. If the Inducer makes you love someone, you'll still love them, even if you hate them too, again for no reason. Many of the story's reviewers found the description of the Inducers to be terrifying, and this became even more pronounced when they learned the entire story arc introducing them involved one actively controlling the entire crew for her own ends. Including River.
- Also in "Charity", it is shown how River gets a full blast of the emotions, thoughts, and history of someone as she kills them in close quarters, triggering her Out, Damned Spot! moments. This apparently includes Reavers.
- Renegade has an absolutely horrific moment when Corporal Jenkins encounters a swarm of Scrin buzzers.
Pain erupted along Jenkins' body as ten thousand tiny, thread-like razorblades ran across his skin, into his body, slicing apart muscle and bone and blood vessels. He tried to scream, but blood erupted from his mouth and nostrils and flooded into his lungs. His weapon fired wildly into the air for the few moments his arm remained attached to his body.
It ended a merciful moment later, when the buzzers found his brain and surgically sliced it apart, ending all consciousness. Jenkins' armor crumpled to the floor, weeping blood from a dozen rents and holes.
- Beastly Possession is a Fairy Tail fanfic of almost non-stop Nightmare Fuel and gore that borders on Squick. The writer even warns the audience "Don't read while eating."
- Challenge of the Super Friends: The End, where the Legion of Doom travel to a horrific Lovecraftian universe and end up like victims in the Event Horizon and Hellraiser films. Lots of horrific transformations and mind-bending imagery.
- This Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street fanfiction. There's mindfuckery and Prison Rape and the setting and— what's-- there's botflies. Almost anything that ficcer has done qualifies, from the humorous fic with a Mary Sue getting STDs from Captain Jack Sparrow to their backstory for Sheldon Sands. It's the opposite of putting him in leather pants. Sands as manipulative quasi-psychopath is canon. The sheer awfulness of the eye gouging is canon. This writer's backstory for him has heavily implied BrotherSister Incest. It's rape.
- There's a writer on ff.net whose volume of work consists almost entirely of extremely gory, badly-written, but extremely disturbing short stories in multiple categories in which a character randomly dies gruesomely, most of them titled "(Name Of Character) Dies a Horrible Death". Interestingly, the extreme badness of the writing makes the stories even more nightmare-inducing, seeing as the language is abrupt and casual and stilted, as though a kid was writing them without putting any serious thought into it or feeling as though there was anything serious about the stories. Just take a minute to think about what kind of person would write like that....
- "Control", an Azumanga Daioh fanfic. It's extremely well-written, includes some well-crafted Fan Characters, it takes some "controversial" approaches to some characters (especially Yukari) without straying too far out of line... and if you've ever considered trying hard drugs before reading this, you never will again. It's rated M not just for some Lemon scenes (some involving rape) but also some of the most graphic violence ever seen in an Azumanga fic (as well as explicit accounts of the horrible pain of drug withdrawal).
- The aptly named horror fic Nightmares. This is a fanfic of The Brave Little Toaster, a movie already known for Nightmare Fuel. The story is a series of first-person vignettes, detailing the horrific dreams of the other four main characters during Toaster's Nightmare Sequence. It starts out only slightly unsettling, but gradually builds up, accumulating in the truly horrifying Chapter 4.
- This Tales of Symphonia fic Blood Is Thicker, one of the few vampire fics that really stands out, with dread starting only a few paragraphs in. The Big Bad is Lloyd's grandmother, Maetala, a caliber that makes Alucard look tame. After turning Lloyd into a vampire, she twists and manipulates him into giving up what little humanity he has still retained encouraging him to eat a boar alive is probably the least horrifying thing she does all fic long, and the results leave Lloyd, a canonical Determinator a psychological wreck and makes it horrifically believable.
- You wouldn't think horror and Lucky Star could go together... until you read Ahoge. Tsukasa is (arguably) taken down to extreme ditz levels when she thinks Konata's Idiot Hair could grow into a plant. The last chapter is an especially horrifying as Sojiro Izumi takes revenge on the entire Hiiragi family through Cold-Blooded Torture. A, umm, nail gun is involved at one point. You probably won't look at Tsukasa the same way again.
- Visio Vestri, a Mega Crossover Fanfic which depicts the GameFAQs Character Battle of 2010 as a contest where 128 videogame characters must scale Tartarus and face their worst nightmares. It is actually a nice fanfic, but Captain Price's death is disturbing. After the Reaper blasts him with a spell of blinding light, his body is ripped APART and he LAUGHS as this happens.
- Anything Ann-Kathrin Kniggendorf (otherwise known as AKK) wrote for Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. "The Lie" has a brutal rape depiction that can shock even the most veteran reader, and acts as a crushing inversion of Double Standard Rape: Female on Male. It says something when the poor hero views having his soul ripped out afterwards as a relief! Her pre-series Supertrooper works are all the more chilling when you hear the violence and death described with clinical precision. Walking Through Nightmares depicts severe asthma, lung damage, and the inability to breathe in graphic detail. And then there's Raumjaeger. Oh, shit. The classic idea of "what if Nazi Germany won" played for all the horror you can imagine and then some. You will not be sleeping well after it, especially after little details like the human-skin lampshade. Worse is that Ann-Kathrin, like half of the fandom's writers, is German and English isn't her first language. The show itself? A kids cartoon from The '80s.
- Parts Of A (Bung)Hole. It starts off as a bit weird and angsty, with a Crack Pairing, though the author does his best to make it believable. The ending, however, is positively hellish. After learning that Beavis And Butthead (mostly Butthead) raped Daria & drove her to alcoholism & death in a drink-driving accident, Jane tears open Beavis' throat with her teeth while they're having rough sex & then uses his insides to paint a portrait of Daria on his bedroom wall. Daria fans do love them some Dark Fic, but ye gods...
- The epic Kirby fanfic The Dream Land Story has the entire sequence in Marx's mind, which was probably intended to be creepy. There's also Kirby's Dark-Matter-induced night terrors which are never described to the reader, as well as how the way Nightmare dies by Meta Knight's hand is described. And to top it all off, Meta Knight's graphic suicide.
- The Shadows Grow Longer. More disturbing than frightening, this World of Warcraft fanfiction is 20 chapters of watching a woman succumb to Stockholm Syndrome to a monster who spends his time torturing her physically, mentally and sexually.
- One Mistake Too Many, a Wicked fanfic that explores what might happen if Boq's transformation hadn't gone as smooth as it had in the musical- ie, if Nessarose had decided that she should be the one to cast the spell. Here's a hint: the first chapter is called "Transformation Trauma."
- Our little Doll, a Coraline fanfic, where the Other Mother rapes Coraline. The actual rape is implied, with just the preparation shown (Coraline being bound and having her clothes ripped off her body by Other Mother). Then we cut to the aftermath, with Coraline waking up in real world with no recollection of what has happened - until she gets abdominal pains so strong that she collapses. In hospital, the doctor says that she was violated by freaking knitting needles, prompting disbelief from her mother. And then it is revealed that Other Mother can take control of Coraline, forcing her to come to the Other World again and again...
- Ultimate Sleepwalker: The New Dreams has multiple examples, fitting for a series whose protagonist is an alien from another dimension who fights supernatural horrors and demons:
- The nightmarish dream world that Sleepwalker's Arch-Enemy Cobweb creates by possessing the mind of scared young Reality Warper Kevin Mac Taggart. The dream world is a shifting twilight world of ugly colors, half-seen images and distorted surroundings that threatens to grow and expand like a cancerous tumor until it consumes the whole Earth, engulfing the minds of everyone on the planet in its wake;
- Cobweb himself, a demon from the Mindscape who thrives on the Cycle Of Hate caused by racism, violence and war, and actively tries to fan the flames of hatred that arise from such conflicts. He also brutally kidnaps and tortures Sleepwalker's Big Brother Mentor, turning him into a hideous monstrosity called a Dreamkiller, that becomes tied up in the brutal Mind Rape of one of Rick Sheridan's human friends, who's eventually Driven to Suicide;
- John Edward Cicala, alias Jack the Ripper, the illegitimate son of a British nobleman and a nameless street prostitute who made a Deal with the Devil to turn himself into a demonic force capable of possessing evil men and using them as his People Puppets to go on a killing spree murdering street prostitutes;
- The Scarecrow, formerly a Serial Killer who murdered almost two dozen people while dressed as a scarecrow but is now a malign demon who specializes in murdering innocent people by Mind Raping them in their dreams, a la Freddy Krueger;
- Sleepwalker's Evil Counterpart Psyko, a human gang leader twisted by Cobweb's demonic power into a humanoid abomination that combines Hannibal Lecter's disturbing intimacy with his victims with the ability to make his victims suffer their worst nightmares and a healthy dose of rape imagery that perverts true love and intimacy;
- Mr. FX, a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds whose psychic temper tantrums reveal a disturbing Psychopathic Manchild personality and who triggers deliberate accidents and hallucinations in his victims to make them serve as his "toys";
- Fever Pitch, a living, flaming skeleton and Manson-like cult leader who's obsessed with the idea of a nihilistic vision of burning society to the ground and watching sadism and chaos run amuck;
- The Dreadknight, an undead Blood Knight who's been forcibly resurrected and sent to kill Sleepwalker, and is unable to die and rest in peace until he accomplishes his task;
- The Bookworm, a depraved magician who was horrifically tortured by the bullies at his high school and who's now obsessed with getting revenge on them, and on Sleepwalker for his opposing them;
- Sleepwalker's own psychotic breaks after he suffers a vicious Curb-Stomp Battle and Mind Rape at the hands of Psyko, which drives him insane and nearly leads him to murder his Heroic Host Rick Sheridan.
- Ultimate Spider-Woman: Change With The Light, set in the same universe as Ultimate Sleepwalker, has quite a bit of this too:
- The disturbing rants of the Brothers Grimm, who's apparently a Psychopathic Manchild Reality Warper who uses all sorts of disturbing fairy tale and toy paraphernalia in his crimes and who is prone to arguing with himself in an increasingly disturbing fashion, and whose idea of "performing" consists of kidnapping people and forcing them to watch disturbing sequences involving demonic toy soldiers ripping apart superhero dolls, witches juggling severed teddy bear heads, and skeletons juggling their own bones in choreographed dance routines;
- Jack O'Lantern, a ghoulish Halloween-themed mass murderer who considers himself one of The Unfettered and a Nietzsche Wannabe whose ultimate dream is To Create a Playground for Evil. He became consumed by his supervillain identity and now seeks to spread misery and horror as much For the Evulz as any actual hope of profit;
- In the first Halloween Special, we see Jack sitting in his cell on Halloween night. He's dreaming of the fond memories he had of hacking into pumpkins, ripping their guts out and carving their faces to resemble jack o'lanterns...and he's fantasizing about what it would be like to do the same thing to a human head.
- Moonstone, a Manipulative Bitch who kidnapped several people as part of a twisted scientific experiment to analyze the physiological reactions of their families in stress situations;
- Firebrand, a violent bully whose attitude towards life was Screw the Rules, I Have Money!, and who thought Daddy's connections and Daddy's chequebook would allow him to be a Karma Houdini. This was before he became a fire-manipulating, mass-murdering Pyromaniac;
- Mayhem, a high school student and victim of a high school prank gone ghoulishly wrong, who later returns as a Mind Raping otherworldly monstrosity determined to to exact a cold, sadistic revenge on everyone who turned her into the freakish... thing... she is today.
- This VOCALOID fanfic, in chapter 6, involves Rin waking up in the middle of the night, walking down the hall, seeing eyes at the end of the hallway, and being "attacked" by it. If you read it carefully, it could be implied that whatever the thing was was attempting to rape her. However, it's revealed at the end of the chapter that the monster was actually "Caiden" and he wasn't trying to scare her.
- Used, a House fanfic. The things Tritter does to House are pretty certain to give one nightmares, including raping him with his own cane, and a knife.
- Imperfect Metamorphosis Chapter 31. This story is already dark, taking many Touhou Project ideas and twisting them just enough to inspire terror and awe. And then you reach this chapter, and the slowly dawning dream from the last four chapters breaks and you realize that Yuuka Kazami (already an insane supplier of scary scenes) has broken through the fourth wall ]] with the simple words:
- "Hard Way to Hollow" is a little Bleach two-shot detailing Ichigo's slow descent into despair and insanity while his hollow takes over. Contains Body Horror, Eye Scream, No-Holds-Barred Beatdown, and other things best not mentioned here. Sleep well.
- Crimson Echoes has the scene towards the end when the heroes are exploring The Darkness Beyond Time... which is a horrifying enough concept as it is. But then you see the journal... "There is nothing outside the windows. I mean that. Nothing." And you realize the people who are there aren't all just frozen and they're... alive and they're aware and there are billions of them, and you realize all the times when you played Chrono Trigger, you put them there...
- The Regular Show fan story Regular Addictions involves Benson going on a drug-and-alcohol binge because he is unhappy with his current life and wants to end it all. Since he's a gumball machine (lacking organs and what not), he realizes it leads to nowhere. What's one of the first things he does in his bout of insanity? He decides to kill Veronica, his ex-girlfriend who is said to have dumped him callously, while saying the lyrics of a song he wrote for her with a dark tone. As if that weren't bad enough, Mordecai had to keep it secret after Benson told him about what happened lest any other event could worsen the situation.
- Eddward, Ed, Edd n Eddy fanfic in which Edd murders and tortures all the other kids.
- A Calvin and Hobbes fanfic, Camp Nightmare, involved Calvin getting signed up for a day camp, which seems like saccharine until Calvin finds out it's actually a cult that kills the kids and eats them! Not only that, but Calvin discovers a room where the corpses are kept.
- The CSI fic Face The Music by Elm22 has a lot of this in the form of Grissom's kidnap and torture (and later Sara's as well). The fact that it's an extremely well written, well researched fic makes it all the more haunting. It is definitely NSFW
- Mercurial Cognizance, a deeply disturbing Durarara!! fanfiction that shows us what potentially goes on in Mikado Ryugamine's head. An evil doppelganger attacks Mikado, stabs him with a pen, and rapes him. All the while Evil!Mikado tells Good!Mikado that everyone has a dark side that needs to come out, while poor Good!Mikado is less concerned with the fact that he's being raped by himself than he is truly terrified of the fact that he himself is capable of doing something like that to another person. Fortunately it turns out to be a dream...and then Mikado looks down to see that his hand is now bandaged. And then he shudders and bursts into tears upon remembering the last thing the doppelganger said to him...
Doppelganger:It's not a dream.
- All Grown Up!, touted as a "theory" of Rugrats. It goes somewhat like this; Angelica made the babies up in her head, they were never actually born. Chuckie died in childbirth alongside his mother, which is why Chaz is so nervous. Tommy was a stillborn, and so Stu is constantly in the basement making toys for the son he never got. The DeViles had an abortion, and Angelica couldnt figure out if the baby was going to be a boy or a girl, thus, the twins. Thinking about it a bit makes one realise that it doesnt really make much sense, but its still quite the creepy concept.
- Melimsah's fanfic Never Alone is Teen Titans fanfic that take place after the episode Haunted, and it continues from there in its own alternative way. The story is about Robin who afterwards thinks that Slade is out of his head now that the mind-dust is out of his system, only to once again see Slade when no one else can. As Robin try to find out why, it gets more and more hinted that it isn't the mind-dust again that is behind Slade, but simply his mind losing itself to the grip of paranoid schizophrenia. Slade himself goes from playful teasing and insulting to Mind Rape and downright physical assaults, causing Robin to somehow hit himself into near death. As the story goes on, Robin's condition worsen each day while Slade becomes more powerful, and he sends Robin into a spiral of delusions and self-destructive behavior, and Breaking Speech him so badly that Robin goes from a strong leader-type of hero into a scared, self-loathing child, and when the other Titans finds out, they've no idea how to treat him or how to force Slade out of him.
- Minty's fanfic on Encyclopedia Dramatica.se that is a supposed Toy Story fanfic in which the main heroine is tricked into going into a home group and her toys are taken away by a woman by the name of Nicole. The story itself makes Lotso from Toy Story 3 look like a kid's show host.
- Imagine, if you will, that you live in the Milborough of The New Retcons; not only do you live with the knowledge that you got the sweetheart deal you did on your mortgage because you live on what used to be a nuclear test site, you have to contend with crazy old Elly Patterson who's convinced that it's the early eighties. Factor in the fact that she had a volatile temper back when she was nominally sane and you realize that her lazy, image-obsessed jerk husband's refusal to do anything about her (as well as the law's inability to lock people up without due cause) has left you having to deal with a human bomb.
- Robo Bando is so filled with graphic violence and torture scenes that it makes Elfen Lied look family friendly.
- The Big Time Rush fanfic Big Time Obsession (Rated M for a reason). It involves they boys and their friends trying to protect Camille from a serial killer/rapist named Hyde. Eventually though Logan is abducted and tortured by said rapist. Don't worry, he's saved, but people still get killed in the process. For details of the shit Hyde does in the story: he tortures a naked Logan over a two way camera, unless Camille stripped for him, forces another hostage to have sex with Logan, he kills Frieght Train, and a good samaritan that tried to help Logan. Now here's the character Hyde himself, turns out he's actually a split personality of one of the detectives on the case. We meet another personality of his - a child who Hyde shifts to when Logan shoots at him.
- Imagine you're imprisoned in a underground facility where no one will ever find you. Everyday, a scientist performs experiments on you such as exposure to extreme heat and cold, enduring sounds that will paralyze you, and cutting off your hand. No matter what you claim, said scientist insists that not only are you not human, you're not sentient and are incapable of feeling pain. Now imagine, this is all being done by your mother. Welcome to the Danny Phantom fic Phantom of Truth.
- The Simpsons fanfic Death of a Simpson is played out like another Sideshow Bob episode, only the differences are that Bob has finally lost his mind completely, so that he actually see people and things that only he can see, that he finally has killed Krusty in the most gruesome ways possible, that he's targeting Lisa instead of Bart, planning to simply torture her to death, and when that fails, it seems that his spirit tries to possess Maggie to be the new him]]. A chilling tale of one madman's revenge against the young people he feels ruined his life to that of a hunted, crazed animal.
- Prisoner of the Magic Kingdom. Be on the lookout for a multitude of Creepy Dolls, Voice of the Legion, Uncanny Valley, doll Gorn, Creepy Child, claustrophobia, Slasher Smiles... and so on.
- The Fragility of Time has Rubeus's murder of Mimete in chapter 34, followed up by his murder of Eudial one chapter later.]]
- Making it worse is how he does it: exploding her Fire Buster and then impaling her with his spheres (which he also did to Mimete) Fortunately, he pays for it.
- Chapter 34 introduces Galaxia. If the fact that she is portrayed as a destroyer of worlds on par with Unicron doesn't get you, then her plans for Sailor Eiron, a.k.a Sailor Lead Crow will.]] Said plans double as a Wham Line: "Oh, I am sure you don't want to join me. Rarely does your kind want to, but they have no choice. You see before this day is over you will be executing the rest the council here and then I think I'll have you kill your own child. After all, I am sure that he is still alive here somewhere and who better to be able to find him than his own mother."
- Even worse is her reaction when she loses Eiron's Star Seed. Said reaction boils down to Kill 'Em All.
- An Outsiders fanfiction, The Days That Changed Everything, has Sodapop and Ponyboy being taken away from Darry and ending up abused for six and a half months in separate foster homes. James, the father in Soda's foster home, abuses his baby daughter Emma, and locks Soda in his bedroom when he tries to protect her and tells him he is wrong for trying to stop him. To keep her safe, Soda makes a deal with him that if he doesn't fight back against James, he'll leave her alone - leading to James burning the word "WRONG" into Soda's shoulder with a cigarette, threatening to hurt Emma if he struggles. The worst part? When Soda goes back home, James ends up killing Emma.]] But as horrible as that is, it pales in comparison to what happened to Ponyboy: When Ponyboy did something that Robert, the father at his foster home, didn't like, he would drag him out to the backyard, force him to dig a hole and lie down in it, and then bury him alive with only a straw to breathe through, nearly killing him. Worse, he does this twice, once during a thunderstorm. Their experiences leave both boys badly traumatized.
- Magna Clades has a lot of these moments, but one in particular that really takes the cake is when the Big Bad Zoisite becomes a Blob Monster and liquifies the mayor of Beach City to death alongside many others!
- The Les Misérables fic When The Cat's Away. Marius and Cosette being kidnapped by Thenardier and Patron Minette for their money, and Marius nearly being murdered is bad enough, but the most terrifying part is Cosette being tied to a bed and raped over and over by Montparnasse and Claquesous. They torture her, too - when Marius and Valjean arrive to save her, she's crying, bruised, and bloody. She specifically mentions Montparnasse sticking his knife under her fingernails when she tried to refuse him.
- In Soul Eater, the Big Bad, Asura, is stated to have eaten his own weapon partner after going insane with fear. In the fanfic Mad Love, Vajra was first beaten senseless by his partner (who he was in love with and had been good friends with), and then Eaten Alive before he was aware enough of what was happening to transform back. And then it turns out that he is still alive and conscious inside Asura's body and was imprisoned for centuries along with him. When Asura is freed, he can hear and sense what's going on around them, but he can only see when Asura pokes him out of his mouth to fire his lasers, and cannot move or transform back to human form. The kicker? The poor bastard is still hopelessly in love with Asura, and keeps telling himself that one day he'll be repaid for his loyalty and Asura will free him.
Thinking of all they have lost and all that they can never be again, Vajra feels as if Shinigami ripped him apart too, and he wishes so badly it hurts that he could still scream.
- The Death Note fanfic, The Hanging Tree. It runs on the Fanon that Light, as a Death Note user, became a Shinigami after his death, meaning he now has his own Death Note. What's the first thing he does with it? Get brutal revenge on the Kira Task Force and Near for killing him, of course, and drag poor Misa into it too! He first restores Misa's memories of the Death Note, and tells her that he wants her by his side again, so they can act as Kira forever from the realm of the Shinigami. However, for that to happen, she has to die. While a horrified Misa protests, Light cheerfully shows her that he's already written her name in his Death Note, and she is forced to hang herself against her will. Light notes that she is visibly frightened while she does this.
- And then when the Kira Task Force (Matsuda, Aizawa, Ide, and Mogi) realize that Misa's missing and go to look for her, they search the woods and find her body hanging from a tree branch, with four other nooses tied neatly to the branch alongside her. Aizawa then gets a call from Near, who (while in so much pain he can barely speak) warns him that Kira has killed everyone in the SPK and is forcing him to call and tell the task force that he is coming for them next, before dying while still on the line. While they're all panicking, Matsuda realizes that the four other nooses are for them, and yells at the others to run. They don't even get out of sight of the tree when the Death Note takes effect, and the four of them are forced to slowly turn around and go back to the tree. They try to turn and run again, but they can't stop, escape, or even scream, and they are forced to hang themselves while terrified and still fully conscious. Matsuda's last thoughts before he is killed are "Please, Light, don't kill me, please don't - !"
- The worst part? The story ends with Shinigami King Light, now immortal and implied to still be insane, becoming Kira again for eternity, with Misa as his queen.
- The Case Closed fanfiction Observations has Takagi and Conan kidnapped by a man whom Takagi was to visit that day. Turns out, the kidnapper is part of a larger group that likes to imitate the methods of past serial killers. Specifically, they plan to brand Takagi with his own badge, shoot him in the head with his own gun, and leave him on the roof of a police station with his wrists in his own handcuffs a week after his disappearance. This is apparently what a serial killer did to other police officers eight years before the events of the fanfic, and this means the police have a week to find Takagi. As for Conan, the group intends to try and turn him to their side, not knowing the truth about Conan. The group even starts using mind games to try and make Conan defer to them even while he's being held prisoner. This fanfic also gives chapters to Satou and Ran, who are extremely upset and scared for the kidnapees]].
Lion: [addressing Conan] Interesting, Kitten. Very interesting. [Leaves room where Takagi and Conan are being held]
Takagi: [Realizing implications] Kitten. He called you Kitten. ... Conan-kun,
Conan: I'll never be their Kitten, Takagi-keiji. Never.
- He Was Hungry is a Ragnarok Online fanfiction in which Flamel Emule (the main character) is portrayed as a Big Eater... as well as a cannibal. But if the violent opening scene doesn't scare you, then the Ending will do so. The story is really violent, so be careful.
- The Magi fanfic The Prince's Reckoning, in which Kouen has an extended Nightmare Sequence where he]] sees what would have happened if it had been his siblings who had suffered and died instead of Hakuryuu's. He watches Kouha being tortured by Phenex's Ring of Admonition, Koumei being Gutted Like a Fish by al-Thamen priests and bleeding out at his feet, and every single one of his sisters being incinerated alive. What's worse is, Koumei is Peaceful in Death and content as long as it means Kouen survives, but Kouha and Kougyoku are screaming in agony and begging Kouen to save them. And there is absolutely nothing he can do.
- The whole dream consists of the vengeful ghosts of Hakuyuu and Hakuren coming back to haunt Kouen because they blame him for their deaths, their country's corruption, and Hakuryuu's insanity, accuse him of being a traitor who wanted it all to happen, and completely ignore Kouen's protests that none of that is true and he wishes that they were still alive. It's also worth mentioning that the dream ends with Hakuren holding Kouen down so Hakuyuu can chop his fucking head off. And that upon waking up, Kouen mentions that these are Recurring Dreams of his, brought on by his guilt over everything that's happened to their family and country.
- Despite some already scary moments in the 1989 Batman fanfiction Through a Glass Darkly, arguably the darkest was after the Joker abducted a little girl, and poisoned her with Smilex, promising to cure her only if Bruce paid a large ransom. The worst part? For the ransom demand, he videotaped himself injecting the child with Smilex and sent it to Bruce... driving Batman to do what it takes to save her.
- The extremely NSFW Hydra Trash Party Kink Meme is built on Nightmare Fuel. This Kink Meme is dedicated to coming up with as many horrific things to do to the Winter Soldier, (Bucky Barnes) and other MCU characters (but mostly the Winter Soldier) as the minds of the anons can produce, usually ranging from frequent physical abuse or mental abuse and conditioning to actual rape, Cold-Blooded Torture, and Mind Rape.
- Closer, a Snake/Otacon Slash Fic, has Hal recalling his sexual abuse at the hands of his stepmother Julie and his developing Oedipus Complex. It really doesn't set in until Hal overheard Julie having sex with his father, Huey, and was then woken up by Julie straight-up raping him.
- The Puella Magi Madoka Magica grapefruit (super explicit) fanfiction Sweet Red Wine, which can be summed up as "Sayaka and Kyoko rip each other apart and get off while doing so".
- This fanart of Shadow Lady, a Palette Swap and What If? version of Chun Li. In it, she dies 15 minutes after giving birth to a baby, and it's unknown who the child's father is, as she was dating Dan and Ryu simultaneously. Shadaloo was aware of this, so they decided to steal her body for their own nefarious purposes by turning her into their brainwashed cybernetic minion, effectively condemning her to a Fate Worse than Death. Before her death and transformation into Shadow Lady, Chun-Li routinely foiled Shadaloo's plans at every turn, so it's apparent that she was roboticized in retaliation for her foiling many of their plans. Designed to be the ultimate anti-Interpol weapon, she was sent out by the heinous Shadaloo leader to gather information on her former allies so they too could be turned into mindless cyborgs like Chun-Li was. As Shadow Lady, her formerly cheerful personality was obliterated, her body's physiology altered so it experienced no emotion apart from being an ruthless and emotionless assassin and serving as M. Bison's right-hand, as it was only fitting that the one constant pain in Bison's side be given this 'honor', and hopefully, turn her into their main pawn against Interpol. In essence, she is a completely different person inhabiting her body and mind, and serves as nothing but a weapon against her former allies. And though she retained her original moves, the enhancements also gave her new abilities, including lasers, Rocket Boots, an electric shield and a large drill in her hands. It's unknown how much of her body has been automated, but anybody can speculate that much of it is now robotic, save for a few parts such as her brain, which has been surgically implanted so she only follows Shadaloo's orders through her Odango Hair shaped Robot Antennae at their command through secure radio links. The breathing apparatus covering her mouth gave the appearance of a female Darth Vader. Thirty years later, the robot is deployed after extensive training and programming (aside from painstakingly preserving her body), and although others are suspicious that this robotic assassin named Shadow Lady aka Droid Li looks a lot like Chun-Li, they're totally unaware that this is indeed the body of the fallen Interpol agent, converted into a soulless cybernetic zombie. But the worst part? Her child won't be aware that their mother has been revived as a brainwashed and cyborgized machine. Also, neither Ryu nor Dan are aware that their former date is now a Brainwashed Robot Girl. All in all, while Chun-Li is back again, she's now more of an Empty Shell, with no record of her old memories as they've been overridden with pre-programmed directives ordering her to be a killing machine for Shadaloo, and effectively condemning her to a Fate Worse than Death via Death of Personality, Loss of Identity and Cybernetics Eat Your Soul.
- Beaver Soup, a very NSFW Angry Beavers fanfic. In a universe where humans and cartoon characters coexist, John — the Author Avatar protagonist — is a paraphiliac who's obsessed with Norbert. He moves from overseas to America, staying in a cabin near Norbert and Daggett's home. When his sexual advances are rejected, John kidnaps and rapes Norbert. When Daggett investigates, John hacks him to death. Wanting Norbert all to himself, John then murders the beaver, butchers him into soup, and furnishes his corpse into a stuffed body pillow. Upon realizing what he has done, John commits suicide. While it was only a dream, the bleak, graphic imagery and John's psychotic behavior are horrifying.
- There is a DeviantArt DEATH BATTLE! fan fight between Monkey D. Luffy and Popeye the Sailor Man that starts out lighthearted and humourous, but takes a very grim turn when the killing blow comes. Popeye uppercuts Luffy into the air, then rips open a hole in reality, opening up a blank white void for Luffy to fall into. Luffy manages to grab the edge, only for Popeye to pry his fingers loose while mockingly playing 'This Little Piggy', causing Luffy to fall into the void. While not a brutal death, it's still horrifying in that Luffy is still alive and fully conscious when he falls, meaning he's doomed to fall in an empty void until he dies of natural causes. Truly a Fate Worse than Death.
- A Steven Universe fanartist by the handle of mimicteixeira drew a series of commissions of the Crystal Gems being shattered by the Homeworld Gems, and they're all as nightmarish and tearjerking as you'd expect them to be.
- Amethyst's, as lampshaded by the artist, is the tamest, but it's still disturbing to see her being shot from behind by Peridot of all people and effectively murdered.
- In Garnet's image, only Ruby is being shattered by Lapis Lazuli, while Sapphire's being preserved for reasons left unexplained. The look of anguish on Garnet's face can easily be interpreted as Sapphire crying out for her lover before Garnet dies for good.
- Pearl's is easily the darkest and closest to being "gory", as it depicts Jasper crushing her Gem in her fist and the effect makes it look as though she has popped Pearl's HEAD like a grape. The last wispy tuft of hair sticking out from Pearl's neck almost looks like a burst of blood for a second.
- To top it all off, mimic reveals in a comment that there was a fourth image of Steven being shattered as well. It was apparently so gruesome that they refuse to ever upload it onto the internet.
- Resistance, a Fallout: New Vegas fanfiction, is possibly the darkest one-shot lemon fic of all time, not for any gruesome sexual acts, but for the absolutely horrific worldbuilding, detailing a New Vegas in which The Enclave expanded their reach to the Mojave and successfully activated Project Impurity, contaminating the water supply with the modified FEV, and hunting down anyone who attempts to purify the water as criminals. We also get some lovely, detailed visuals of Original Character Maxwell struggling for breath trying to run away from the Enclave soldiers sent after him, and then we see this Alternative Universe's version of Arcade Gannon. And he is horrifying. The worst part of all this? Arcade offhandedly mentions this isn't the first time someone has had to make this choice, although it's the first time he himself has offered it. He even implies he has seen other Enclave soldiers raping criminals in exchange for their lives! It almost makes you glad it's only one chapter long...
- Practicing Medicine, a crossover between Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch, is a rather gruesome torture fic involving the RED Medic "experimenting" on Mercy without anesthetics For Science!. Among things like removing her left eye with the Vita Saw and vivisecting her, the story's most notably horrifying moment is its graphic and realistic portrayal of the Medic surgically performing female genital mutilation on her. It's all capped off with the twist that Medic was harvesting her for body parts to revive his teammates and then regrowing them with the Quick Fix before wiping her memory so he could keep her alive forever.
- "Disfigures", an Eddsworld AU filled to the brim with Body Horror. How much does it fit with this trope? Let us count the ways!
- First of all, there's the way the author started it. With a single viscerally horrifying image of Edd, Tom, Matt and Tord conjoined into a single, mangled abomination. Check it out if you dare. Made even worse by the sequel, where the same happens to Paul and Pat.
- Then there's this video showing how it happened in the fanfic's context; we see a repeating clip of Edd, bloodied, beaten, wearing a hospital gown and branded with a barcode tattoo, stumbling a little, then a repeating clip of Laurel (the girl from "MovieMakers") wearing a labcoat, then we cut to Tom, Matt and Tord, looking as bloodied and beaten as Edd. There's a sudden shot of Edd looking scared, a machine flaring up, Tord trying to run whilst screaming and crying and then Bing (the evil director from "Spares") flashing a Slasher Smile as the screen glitches out and cuts to black. Finally, we get a Jump Scare of the boys' conjoined bodies appearing on screen, rendered in blood red.
- In the fic proper, we discover that Bing and his assistant Larry have been attempting to fuse people for a while, including children. Bing ended up firing Larry after they failed to fuse Kim and Katya together, the process instead killing them. He hires Laurel as his new assistant, leading to them kidnapping Eduardo, Mark and Jon for the same purposes. We never find out what happened to them. Finally, they get their hands on Edd, Matt, Tom and Tord, try to fuse them, the above happens and the resulting fusion is implied to have killed Bing and Laurel.
- There is some good news in the later chapters, though it's quickly followed by bad news: When Paul and Pat sneak into the lab and stumble upon the fusion, they manage to activate a machine and accidentally unfuse them. Edd, Tom, Matt and Tord are all freed from the fusion in the process and escape. The bad news? The same process ends up forcibly fusing Paul and Pat.
- Most of And If That Don't Work?, a Neon Genesis Evangelion fic, qualifies, but really the standout is when the acid-dripping spider Angel managed to turn the entry plug of Unit 02 into a vat of acid and the resultant fate of the pilot. This is even worse considering her fate is blatant Author Appeal; none of the characters view it to be a bad thing for more than a few sentences and Asuka herself considers it an improvement.
- "Shipped around the country", a series of Fullmetal Alchemist fanarts that end with Fuhrer King Bradley, after already being carted from prison to prison every ten years to serve his punishment, being sent to the Fifth Laboratory to serve the rest of his sentence there...spending 300 years as a science experiment test subject, the scientists in question having enough red stones to ensure he won't die from it. The story ends with Bradley finally breaking down and screaming for Dante to save him, knowing full well that she's long gone by now. Oddly sobering for a character who's presented in the source material as truly evil.
- Remember how terrifying Arukenimon and Mummymon's deaths were in canon? Well, Starlight makes it worse - Arukenimon is eaten alive by Myotismon's bats, and Mummymon is devoured by Myotismon himself.
- Similarly to the Mario Party DS anti-piracy screens above, there exist fanmade anti-piracy messages for the Danganronpa games. By far the most unsettling are the ones that imply the entire cast died, all because of your piracy.
- And while we're on the topic of fanvids, there exists a series on Youtube entitled "Deltarune VHS", made by the user Nyctomatter. They are all under a minute long, but what they lack in length they make up for in sheer creepiness. The background "music" for every video simply consists of a Drone of Dread, and the series somehow manages to turn the "Kris, get the banana" meme terrifying. Practically every character except Kris sports a Nightmare Face, but the video "Kris" gives them one as well, and tops it all off with a horrifying reminder that The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You.
- Still on the fanvid thing, there's one related to Jurassic Park III that deals with a possible scenario for Ben's death. "How did Ben die in Jurassic Park III" by Alteori. You can imagine pretty clearly the scene as Ben is caught in the parachute and the raptors rip his legs off while he's still alive. Yikes.
- The Highlander fic Seeing It Through starts with Methos staked alive to a wall with his eyes gouged out. Just...eew.
- In the Kim Possible fanfic Midnight Savior, Kim has been taken to Lorwardia where she's about to be beheaded. Kim is being dragged to the gallows in chains, passing through a huge crowd of Lorwardians screaming insults at her in their language, while she's wearing her tattered graduation gown that barely covered her nude body. Before that, she has been tortured and deprived of food and sleep in the dungeons for several days have left Kim a shell of her former self. Kim keeps telling herself over and over that the horror she's experiencing is all one elaborate nightmare that she'll wake up from at any moment, only to realize it's really happening, to her great despair. She's left wondering what happened on Earth, if it's destroyed or everyone has been enslaved. She also wonders what happened to Ron, afraid that he died trying to save her. She comes face to face with Warhok and Warmonga who taunt her with malicious smiles. She gets a good look at the intimidatingly-gigantic guillotine, and noticed that the blade was symmetrical and curved, likely intended to smash the victim's neck painfully and messy. The crowds' scream rise high-pitch for her blood. In fact, it is stated that nearly every Lowardian across the empire have come for the sole pleasure of seeing her lose her head. As well as to make an example of anyone who dares challenge the superior rule of the Lorwardian Empire, even if they're a teenager. Kim was strapped to the guillotine, lying her on her back, so she would see the blade coming down. All she could is cry, realizing her life is over and her head will end up on the wall of their Trophy Room, and prays it would be quick and painless. Her only comfort is she'll be reunited with Ron in the afterlife. Then the blade slams towards her neck and she screams as loud as the roars of the Lorwardians. Fortunately, it turns out to be an actual nightmare after all, but it was so convincingly real to her because she realize it could have happened if Ron didn't step up to save her.
- As if the Nightmares from Five Nights At Freddy's 4 was not enough, fans have taken a step further by making the animatronics as nightmarish, twisted and monstrous-looking as possible, blurring the lines between an animatronic and a straight-up demonic monster, this giving the birth of the Corrupted Animatronics. See for yourself!
- In addition, ever since FNAF 4 came out, fans have started churning out non-FNAF 4 animatronics with Nightmare makeover such as Baby Nightmare Circus, which is a hybrid of FNAF 4 and Sister Location or Plushtrap redesigned to match the rest of the Nightmares or even Helpy who went from a cute and huggable animatronic to a downright terrifying abomination , making him an example of Fluffy the Terrible.
- A Youtuber named Z Bonnie XD thought he could beat Scott at his own game, so he made a video of Nightmare animatronics fused together and again, but with the Corrupted animatronics. Imagine having to face these abominations made of the heads of animatronics, they are arguably even more terrifying than what Scott could come up with.
- The fanfic Five Nights At Freddy's: Lack Of Comprehension (warning: explicit) truly lives up to its name. Not only you have to deal with many animatronics at the same time not just from canon and spin-offs, but also certain fangames, but you also have ward off Mizuki and even avoid going to Hell. The H-scenes are Fan Disservice in its most extreme form and only serve the franchise's horror tone, you have Mizuki rape hallucinations, tentacle rape hallucinations and even actually being raped by Mizuki herself and forced to impregnate her after she escaped from the A.I world and murdering and mutilating your wife, dog and even your 7 year-old son, in addition to summoning burnt Corrupted Animatronics and setting your house in fire, also warped time and space so you wouldn't get any help. All this give off vibes to and references several other horror franchises. The fact it has a Downer Ending does not help at all.
- Most, if not all 'Yandere X Reader' (or X Listener) fanfictions have a certain fictional character turn yandere and go straight after you. Yes... You... The very thought of you, the reader, having to deal with the Yandere version of a fictional character (mainly an anime girl, but non-anime examples exist) is very disturbing. Extra points if the certain character even RAPES you... note They almost always have not-so-good endings.
- The Highlander The Dragon and His Wrath is full of it. The immortal who caught Duncan, Joe and Methos has a habit of starving his opponents before challenging them. Joe is still supposed to be fed since hes mortal but shares with Duncan since they think hes got the best chance of beating the guy. Methos cant afford to get any. The worse part is that the guy recognized who Methos was and wanted revenge over the death of his wife back in Rome. He keeps finding twisted ways to torture and kill Methos while theyre held there. One part has Methos realizing the insanity-inducing burning his skin has is due to salt still inside healed over wounds. He claws himself bloody trying to get rid of it. Duncan does win when he finally escapes and challenges the guy, but Methos is near death from starvation and Duncan has to struggle to get him to eat something without throwing it up. He knows Methos cant die but doesnt want to do nothing while he finishes dying, either.
- Given its source material, Puella Stellae Madoka Magica has plenty of Nightmare Fuel to go around:
- When she's killed, Mami's Soul Gem is recovered by Eldar, who place it inside a Wraithguard construct to see what its properties are. The Great Unclean One resting inside chooses that exact moment to manifest, slaughtering the Eldar and nearly devouring Mami's soul.
- The reason Kyoko's father became a more effective preacher, and why Kamijo's wrist is healed? They were infected by Genestealers, and Kyoko's father is the patriarch.
- Kyubey's real plan- the Magical Girl cycle is not designed to prevent the heat death of the universe, it's a testing ground for vessels that will help powerful Chaos Daemons manifest in reality with ease. Sayaka was the first successful test when her soul produces and is consumed by a Bloodthirster.
- Sayaka's fate. Her soul is destroyed in order to summon a Bloodthirster, but Hitomi makes a wish to bring her back to life. It works, but Sayaka is rendered a Blank, becoming a dull, soulless shell. Although it does have the added bonus of protecting her and anyone around her from attacks by daemons.
- Madoka's conversation with Cegorath are... off, especially how the god manifests in different bodies that Madoka might be familiar with (but not necessarily fond of, seeing as how he appears as Kyubey at one point).
- When escaping the Webway, Madoka and her allies are attacked by daemons with Fulgrim making a beeline straight for Madoka. If it were not for the timely arrival of Jaghatai Khan, Madoka would have been killed.
- Other being a fusion between Batman and Coraline, it naturally contains Nightmare Fuel in spades. In spite of all of Other Dick's efforts to make Damian love him, the boy cannot help but notice how predatory Other Dick moves... and how hungry he looks sometimes.
- After Damian's first visit to the Other world, his family in the real world start to vanish, one by one... and that's when Damian finally comes home to a empty house he finally realizes Other Dick had taken all of them to force Damian to come back to him.
- A common Fandom-Specific Plot for The Rising of the Shield Hero is to replace him with someone from another universe who, by virtue of prior experience, would be a better shield hero. The Hero Melromarc Needs and Deserves is a Saint Seiya crossover that does this plot with Cancer Deathmask, a fight-loving Card-Carrying Villain who happens to be capable of moving at the speed of light, shrug off hits capable of destroying a mountain and hit hard enough to harm those in his league, and, due Athena being Crazy-Prepared in the training of her Saints, knows exactly who he's dealing with. Deathmask is so bad that he himself wonders what did the locals do to deserve him as their hero, and in the third chapters hijacks the False Rape Accusation to almost take over the country, and doesn't do that only because he gets angry at the idea of being accused of raping Malty he forgets. Even as he's being a genuine hero he's terrifying, what with wiping out a bandit gang by biting off the teeth of the leader and spitting it at the others, and single-handedly annihilating a Wave of Calamities by ripping off the souls of every single monster.
- In the Star Wars/Transformers crossover fic Sparks Among the Stars, chapter 20 concludes with the Death Star being turned into a Transformer when it is exposed to the Allspark...
- Like Pokémon proper, Tokimeki PokéLive! and TwinBee can also go into darker territory as well, despite the fact that the comparitively more lighthearted Love Live!, Tokimeki Memorial and Twinbee franchises are also involved in the series as well!
- Cartoon Cartoon Ronpa is one of the most horrifying takes on a Danganronpa story for a big reason: only four characters are actually in their teens or above. Would Hurt a Child is in full effect.
- For the most part, many of the executions do have some element of Black Comedy or at least aren't very gory. Other than one: Numbuh 1's unused execution. To begin, he's in the ruins of Sector V's treehouse, upon which he is tied up in vines and strapped to a pole. An army of Monokumas dressed like KND operatives appear and aim their M.U.S.K.E.Ts at him. But instead of mustard, real bullets are shot at him. So to recap, a 10-year-old boy is shot to death. Thankfully, as Numbuh 1 isn't a Blackened, it goes unused, but it's chilling to consider what fate awaited him if he wound up giving in to Monokuma's twisted games.
- The fake Qubo final sign-off with each character gets their heads or faces torn off while gunshots are heard every time. After all the characters were killed, a final message consists of how ungrateful viewers were and that they didn't help save Qubo before it shut down, ending with a final message "This is your fault." and "Thanks for nothing." Imagine if this is real and you as a kid seeing your favourite childhood characters getting shot and murdered. Fucking yikes!
- It quickly becomes Nightmare Retardant if you call the number though, as it's basically a rickroll.