- The I'm a Humanitarian appetites of the Gani tribe (especially their General, Tsume's, particular fondness for brains), which even the other Shadowkhan are disturbed and disgusted by.
- Bachi the tanuki's desire to eat Jade, and his attitude once he reveals his true nature.
- Yasashi hates the Shadowkhan so much that she's willing to kill a defenseless Jade in order to destroy them.
- Jade outright calls Kuro and Tsume Nightmare Fuel and is grateful that Sanshobo wears a mask.
- Shendu's first scene in the new reality sees him incinerating a slave girl for fun. And it's implied this is a regular occurrence.
- Tsume's story of how the Gani came to be. Long ago, a Queen was betrayed by a Ryujin ally, who mutilated the Queen by chopping off her hands and magically ensuring they couldn't be restored. The Queen's rage at this gave birth to the Gani. In their first act of service, they hunted down and captured the Ryujin and took her back to the Queen (snacking on the "less important" parts of her on the way). Once she was presented to the Queen, they held a banquet, during which the first Gani General proceeded to feed the Ryujin to the Queen piece by piece.
- Jade mentions that her experiences with battle would be enough to make a shrink either be excited or horrified to have sessions with her, and when Koeri (using a bluff of threatening to commit suicide), gets her to try bonding with feminine things like writing poetry, the poetry she writes is filled with blood and death.
- The Battle of Awaji shows off both A) the brutality of Medieval warfare, and B) the true horror of facing an enemy like the Gani. One moment that stands out is Tsume reflecting on how a woman killed her own children to avoid Tsume devouring them (specifically, he's thinking of this while he's actually eating her).
- The immediate aftermath of the battle's conclusion: as Tsume is being sealed, Jade has a nightmare of being surrounded by the spirits of past Queens, before one (implied to be the original Kagehime) warns her that she's in danger and gouges her eyes out. And then, Jade is hit with the psychic backlash of the Gani being torn away, which is described as feeling like her intestines are being ripped out.
- In vengeance for Koeri's betrayal, the Kamikiri slaughter the entire kitsune tribe, emerging from the shadows of the woods like the wrath of god. Tribe leader Deshi finds himself with his arms removed, then he's pinned down and has his eyelids peeled back, forcing him to look up at Sanshobo as he removes his mask to interrogate him.
- Himitsu's death. First Rosuto shoots off half his arm with an arrow shot. Then, after he uses a healing potion to grow it back, Gurando hits him with a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown, including ripping that arm back off. After this, a desperate Himitsu drinks the godly essence taken from Jade's blood, which gives him a Super Mode that lets him curb-stomp the others... for a few minutes. Then it wears off, and he slowly turns to stone, screaming in panic the whole time.
- The reveal of the entity living under Rokutaro's castle. Known as the Weaver, it's a giant spider made of crystal, capable of speech and a sadistic sense of humor. And it's in charge of guarding Jade.
- Speaking of which, Jade's current condition. After being taken prisoner by Himitsu, she gets interrogated for information she doesn't have, then bled for ingredients for his potions. She then has to watch his above-mentioned fate, before being dragged to Tobe, where Yasashi strips and beats her, after which she's locked in a cage, with the Weaver keeping watch over her.
Nightmare Fuel / Queen of Shadows