From the same person who managed to make a cliche fanon concept into something genuinely terrifying comes a story full of many horrifying moments... and Seiga.
Unmarked spoilers below.
- During the flashback scene from the first episode, we see how Kasen and Suika first met. In a dark forest. While child Kasen was alone waiting in vain for her mother to return. And Suika was a giant red monster with big fangs and claws that's a far cry from her usual Cute Monster Girl self. You can really tell how close Suika was to just killing Kasen before the latter explained her predicament with how she advances and puts one of her claws so close to the child's head.
- During their time on a mountaintop, Kasen decides that it's time to off Yoshika. So we get to see as the fingers of Kasen's replacement arm turn into sharp claws and she gains Hellish Pupils as the background turns red and the artstyle suddenly becomes a lot more detailed. Now we know that Kasen is going to have a change of heart because Yoshika is going to have to survive past this point so that she can meet Seiga, but that doesn't make it any less freaky to see Kasen of all people attempt to murder someone in cold blood.
- Seiga practically runs on this trope, having constant Slasher Smiles and taking pleasure in scenes of horror and death. To wit:
"I'll blow some life into you then, just like I said. From there, you'll be free to do as you like. That is. If. You. Can. Move. On. Your. Own. Well then, go ahead, defy me... with that rotten brain and body of yours..."
- Seiga prepares a feast for both her and Yoshika as a premature celebration for meeting the reikon, and Yoshika happily removes the lid for her dish. It contains a puppet modeled after a severed human head. Seiga, with a cheerful smile on her face and pretending that the head is real, asks if the food is to Yoshika's liking, and a puppet of herself appears behind Yoshika. Seiga begins to point out that all of the food on the table was made by killing something as her puppet begins to chop up its own arm to add seasoning to one dish. As Seiga describes further how life revolves around killing other living things for food, we are treated to several illustrations of animals eating each other and a butcher with Black Eyes of Evil (the Youtube release actually had to add censorship to the violence just to get uploaded). And then Seiga makes a rather chilling point: Life is based around cruelty, but humans commit extra cruelty by cutting up and cooking the bodies of the dead they eat. After all of this is over, Seiga thinks to herself that Yoshika being so unfazed by the terror she just witnessed has made her even more interested in her. We all know where this is headed...
- After Seiga poisons Yoshika (who by the way coughs up so much blood that it coats the blanket of her deathbed), Seiga begins to cry... but then the room darkens as both her eyes and the inside of her mouth glow red and we get a close-up of her face forming a big Slasher Smile as she once again finds pleasure in someone's death. Then, as Seiga begins to use Yoshika's blood to craft an ofuda to resurrect her as her slave, she gives a short speech that shows how terrible of a life Yoshika will have from now on.
- The 1,200 year Time Skip starts off with a rather frightening scene: Seiga and Yoshika witness a warzone, and as bodies are blown apart, mutilated, and burnt up (once again, the Youtube release has to add censorship), Seiga laments that humans have begun to kill for reasons other than gathering food and likens them to pests. As Seiga asks if even the god who created the humans would be horrified by their current state, the camera cuts to the now-rotting apples from the feast she prepared 1,200 years ago, with one apple now coated with worms that get an awful lot of animation for an otherwise mostly-motionless Film Comic. The music during the scene doesn't help either.
- Want to know where Yoshika's fear of death comes from? An incurable terminal disease. Really shows where her desperation comes from as her life slowly ticks away and her thoughts about the end haunt her whenever she's alone.
- During Kasen and Suika's fight, Suika deals with Kasen currently being suspended in the air through hanging onto one of her pet eagles by growing to massive size. Only instead of the usual Cute Giant form Suika assumes in canon, she turns into a huge green Sinister Silhouette with Monochromatic Eyes and a Jagged Mouth that proceeds to smash Kasen into the ground so hard that her left arm rips off. Suika disables Kasen's replacement right arm and uses the Ibaraki Box of a Hundred Medicines to heal Kasen, and says that she will keep beating and healing Kasen until she finally gives in.