Ultra Fast Pony is an Abridged Series created by wacarb, based on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Starting in August 2012, it is the longest-running of any MLP:FiM abridged series, covering the entirety of the show's first four seasons, as well as the first two Equestria Girls films.
In a version of Equestria with a much weaker Fourth Wall, Twilight Sparkle learns that a world-ending catastrophe is imminent (and that's probably a bad thing). With "help" from five Ponyville mares, and liberal exploitation of plot holes, Twilight prevents the apocalypse. As a reward for her heroism, Princess Celestia banishes Twilight to Ponyville.
Twilight proceeds to learn firsthand about the Magic of Vitriolic Best Buds-ship from her five new friends: Applejack (a simple apple farmer, and certainly not a high-ranking member of a massive criminal empire), Rainbow Dash (the fastest and most irritating pony alive), Rarity (a dressmaker with a suspicious tendency to injure herself), Pinkie Pie (an energetic fangirl and gadfly), and Fluttershy (who's just so shy). Shenanigans ensue, mixed with large helpings of snark, satire of the brony community, Lampshade Hanging, and Self-Deprecation.
- Season 1 (August 2012 March 2013)
- Season 2 (July 2013 April 2014)
- Season 3 (August December 2014)
- UFP The Movie: The Moviening, based on Equestria Girls (April 19, 2015)
- Season 4 (July 2015 June 2017)
- UFP The Movie 2: Movie Harder, based on Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks (December 19, 2017)
- Season 5 (October 2019 )
- Various bonus videos are available here
Now has a character sheet.
- Abusive Parents: Almost all of the mane six's parents are this. Granny Smith constantly emotionally abuses Applebloom and exposes Applejack to inappropriate material. Rarity's parents constantly leave the Ax-Crazy and annoying Sweetie Belle at her house so they can run off and get drunk. Rainbow Dash's foster parents were the worst offenders, they would never keep her for more than a week, constantly threw her around as a child, and even tried to kill her on a few occasions.
- A Cappella: The bonus videos "UFP sings Tainted Love" and "UFP sings Take On Me" both feature the mane six doing all-vocal renditions of the song.
- Acceptable Targets: "Snuggle Berry was an alicorn Original Character, so it's ok that she died."
- Accidental Misnaming:
- In "So Random!", Pinkie seems incapable of remembering Cranky's name, and instead refers to him by a variety of other words that rhyme (or slant rhyme) with cranky. (And all of which happen to be names of members of the Donkey Kong family.)
- In "Discord and Me", Celestia tells the mane six that, if all else fails, they can turn Discord back into stone with "the Eggplants of Ramadan or whatever they are."
- Accidental Public Confession: In "C.S.Pie":Twilight: [sighs] We are never gonna find out who did this.
Rainbow Dash: Oh, no way! You mean I got away with it?
Twilight: Oh, it was Rainbow Dash.
Rainbow Dash: No way! How did you know?
- Achievements in Ignorance: At the end of "Weeds", Twilight shoots Rainbow Dash dead. She's alive and well at the start of the next episode, because she's so stupid she doesn't know how to die.
- Adam and Eve Plot: In the Hearth's Warming Eve play, the pegasus population is reduced to two individuals.Flying Monkey Style: Hey, let's go find a new country to live in.
Flying Monkey Crap: Well, as long as I don't have to repopulate the entire pegasus species, I'm okay with that.
Flying Monkey Style: Wow, today is just not your day, is it?
- Adapted Out:
- Twilight doesn't appear in "A Library With No Twilight". This is particularly noteworthy as the original episode ("Look Before You Sleep") only had three characters in total.
- In spite of his role in the original movie, human Flash Sentry is completely absent from The Movie: The Moviening.
- Ad Bumpers: One in "Saturday Morning Ponies":Narrator: Oh no! The Power Ponies have been captured! Find out what happens after these messages!
Ad: Buy our toys!
Narrator: And we're back!
- Aesop Amnesia: In the conversation at the very end of "All A Boot Shy", Fluttershy summarizes what she learned that episode and then forgets it all, mere seconds later.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Sunset Shimmer cries after her defeat—a sight so sad, Twilight rushes to console her and offers to buy her ice cream.Twilight: Oh, crap, I made her cry.
- All Just a Dream: The episode "Random Eye Magic" is revealed in its final seconds to have been an elaborate dream.
- Ambiguous Syntax:Sweetie Belle: Why do they call him "Daniel the Giant"?
Applebloom: Because he's a giant, Sweetie Belle.
Sweetie Belle: He's a giant Sweetie Belle?!
- Amusing Injuries: After waking from cranial trauma, Twilight declares, "Look really I didn't the brain damage!" She returns to full lucidity seconds later.
- And the Rest:
- In the extended opening credits from "C.S.Pie", the mane six are listed by name... except for Applejack, who's just credited as "And supporting actress".
- In the opening theme from "Saturday Morning Ponies", the Power Ponies are all listed by name, except for the Saddle Rager, who just gets a "Wait... Who's that?"
- Rainbow Dash's grasp on the language is weak at the best of times, so when she gets emotional she tends to degenerate into complete gibberish.Rainbow Dash: Wait a minute, you guys hate me because I'm blue? [distraught] Iwuhwoowah! Iwuh I can't believe you guys! Rrrlrhalrurah!
- For non-Dash examples, there's Fluttershy in "To Kill a Firebird". After barely escaping from an attempted lynching:Twilight: Fluttershy, you were supposed to be here an hour ago. Where were you?
Twilight: I don't have time for whatever that was supposed to be!
- Rainbow Dash's grasp on the language is weak at the best of times, so when she gets emotional she tends to degenerate into complete gibberish.
- "Stay Tuned", where an investigation into a massive criminal conspiracy ends up uncovering... the same thing as in the original canon episode. "It was a surprise birthday party all along!" "Yeah, okay, that makes sense."
- "Discord and Me" teases the audience with a a Fake-Out Fade-Out involving a title card reading, "The next part of the end credits is the most interesting thing you will ever read in your life." When the credits finally happen for real, the next part of the end credits just reads, "I lied. Heh."
- The boat trip in "But We're Cousins". Pinkie Pie panics over her lack of character development, Applejack and Granny Smith argue about who's in charge of the steering, and Apple Bloom yells at everyone to watch her dance, all while sinister music plays in the background, then everyone just degenerates into screaming... Then Smash Cut to everyone at the destination already, talking about how pleasant the boat trip was.
- Anti-Climax Cut: "The Longest Recap" has an exchange that seems like it's leading up to the culmination of the three-season-long subplot of Celestia pining (and lusting) for Twilight Sparkle:Celestia: I can raise you back to life. But I'm going to have to do something to your body. Are you okay with that?
Twilight: Well, if it's that or die...
Celestia: All righty, here we go!
[Instead of doing anything sexual, she turns Twilight into an alicorn.]
- Are We There Yet?:
- As they're approaching the castle in the Everfree Forest:Pinkie: Are we there yet?
Twilight: No, we're not there!
Rainbow: Look guys, we're here.
Twilight: It's just a coincidence. We're not really here.
- As they're climbing the mountain:Rarity: Are we there yet?
Rarity: How about now?
- While escaping from the cave with Twilight, Princess Cadance apparently did not shut up for one second. According to the Travel Montage flashback, she started at "Are we there yet?" and just got more annoying.Cadance: Hey, Twilight, are we there yet? [cut] Hey, Twilight, can I go potty break? [cut] Hey, Twilight, look what I found! Shakey shakey! [cut] Hey, Twilight, can we go in the mine cart? [cut] Shakey shakey! [cut] Twilight, put your hooves in the air! [cut] Shakey shakey shakey! [cut] [sings:] I was made for loving your brother / he was made for loving me! [cut] Twilight, I still have to go potty. [cut] Shakey shakey!
[Later, Twilight reminisces about the escape:]
Twilight: It was the worst ten minutes of my life!
- As they're approaching the castle in the Everfree Forest:
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?:
- As the fillies and colts are voting on who should fill the role of Village Idiot and/or Scapegoat, Snails makes himself an obvious candidate by spouting nonsense like "Peaches are made of crayons!" Snips slyly looks at Scootaloo and says they all know what must be done—they must collectively fill the position so as to share the burden. Meeting adjourned!
- In "I Am Pinkie":Pinkie: This plan needs a special kind of pony. One who thinks like me, talks like me, flies like me, and even looks like me! Wait a minute, I know exactly what I have to do!
[14 hour later...]
Pinkie: Twilight, can you please help me with something?
Twilight: For the last time, no!
Pinkie: Okay, plan B it is then. My very own clone!
- In "Discord and Me":Celestia: Of course. I need your cooperation. If only there were some sort of yellow pegasus here, who would do anything I told them to, under threat of anything I could do to them...
Rainbow Dash: Applejack's not a pegasus!
- Argument of Contradictions:
- Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo argue about whether they're getting a jelly swingset or a jello (Skeeboo!) one, and they almost immediately degenerate into shouting "Jelly!" "Skeeboo!" at each other.
- In "The Longest Wedding", Twilight calls Chrysalis's ultimate plan stupid, which leads to the two of them shouting "No, You!" "No, You!" Then Celestia jumps in to take Chrysalis's side.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In "Ponyville Noire", the list of Blind Eye McGamminy's petty crimes is, "street robbery, vandalism, react videos..."
- Artistic License Biology: In "Wolfenspike 3D", Twilight's backstory as to how she adopted Spike involves her mistaking Spike's actual mother breastfeeding him as her attempting to kill him, and Spike fighting back. Then again, she could've been right as dragons are reptiles, and reptiles don't breastfeed their young since they have no mammary glands.
- Artistic License Music: Exaggerated for laughs in "UFP sings Bohemian Rhapsody", where none of the instruments in the video match what's actually playing in the song. A pipe organ plays an electric guitar solo, a fiddle plays a piano solo...
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!:
- The series starts with Twilight leaving for Ponyville specifically so she can research Nightmoon Mare and prevent the end of the world. After a single run-in with Rainbow Dash, Twilight makes it her mission to destroy Dash, and she completely forgets about the impending apocalypse.
- In "Copywrong", Rarity wants to destroy Fluttershy's modeling career. She creates a Zany Scheme to accomplish this, but the scheme immediately derails into punishing Rainbow Dash instead.
- In "Batshy Crazy", the other five try to find a cure for Fluttershy's transformation into a bat. They get distracted arguing over what they should call Flutter's bat-form.
- Audience-Alienating Premise: In "Faith to Faith", Twilight can't believe that the episode's premise was approved.Twilight: In today's episode, everyone in Ponyville is lined up so that they can drink cider. That is what is happening. That is a thing that we are all doing. Someone thought it was a good idea for this episode if everyone just lined up, so that we could all drink cider.
- Bad Liar:
- In "Gelatin Swing Sets":Sweetie Belle: Dumb body bag! ... I mean, fabric.
- In "Granny Smith Is Mean":Granny Smith: We'd earn our keep by selling medicinal herbs and eating babies.
Scootaloo: <What was that second thing you said?>
Granny Smith: Riding on unicycles.
- In "The Longest Engagement:"Impostor Cadance: Hm. Not bad. Do you have anything in pear flavor?
Applejack: [under her breath] How about I stab you in the face?
Impostor Cadance: What?
Applejack: I said how about I... stab... you... in the face. Sorry, I was going to come up with a lie there, but I just couldn't think of anything. Not like me at all...
- In "Gelatin Swing Sets":
- Bad News in a Good Way: In "Pinkie's Day In".Pinkie: Okay, so, I have some good news and some bad news.
Mrs. Cake: Well, that doesn't bode well. What happened?
Pinkie: Well, the good news is that I'm still alive.
Mrs. Cake: You killed the babies, didn't you, Pinkie?
- Bad News, Irrelevant News: In "Faith to Faith":Applejack: Alright, everyone, if you're done being stupid, I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is, I've had to quadruple the price of the cider. The good news is, I'm about to be very rich.
- Played straight, then immediately subverted by Big Mc Intosh in "Pirate Shipping".
- And alsoRarity's father: Hello, Rarity. How's my favorite daughter?
Rarity: Yeah, good.
Rarity's father: And how are you?
- In "How Not to Train Your Dragon":Twilight: What do you want?
Rarity: We don't need a reason to come and visit one of our best friends...
Rarity: Speaking of which, where is Spike?
- In "Survivor: Equestria":Phil the Narrator: Why do we keep bringing on guest narrators? What's wrong with my voice?
Twilight: Oh, Phil, it's not that. We love your voice! It's your personality we don't like.
- Bait-and-Switch Time Skip: In "The Longest Wedding", Chrysalis demands to know how Twilight and Cadance escaped from the caves. There's a "14 hours earlier" transition card, then we're shown a montage of Twilight and Cadance wandering through the caves, with Cadance repeatedly asking to take a potty break and otherwise being a nuisance. A "14 hours later" card takes us back to the present, at which point:Twilight: It was the worst ten minutes of my life!Chrysalis: But the transition said—Cadance: It was a long potty break.
- Beam-O-War:Celestia: That is it! We are having a laser beam fight. Anime style.
- Became Their Own Antithesis / Not Himself: Like canon, Discord alters the personalities of the mane six. Unlike canon, he does this by inverting each character's defining vices rather than virtues. Applejack becomes honest and generous, Rarity becomes extremely safety-conscious, Fluttershy loves to serve others, Pinkie Pie becomes unenergetic and says "girl" instead of "bro", and Rainbow Dash just wants to be left alone. This quickly leads to Twilight deciding she wants the old jerks back.
- Big Brother Is Watching:
- In "The Longest Recap", Twilight discovers Celestia has used the starry void to spy on Twi's entire life. Her reaction:Twilight: Okay, that's really creepy. Why would you do that?
- In The Movie: The Moviening, Canterlot High has security cameras "literally everywhere".
- In "The Longest Recap", Twilight discovers Celestia has used the starry void to spy on Twi's entire life. Her reaction:
- Big Damn Heroes: Played with in "Power Ponies". The Maneiac has the Power Ponies at her mercy, but then Humdrum swoops in to save the day! And then everyone gets distracted by talking about just how bad Humdrum's name is. Then the Maneiac laughs so hard at his name that she accidentally incapacitates herself—so Humdrum sorta kinda saved the day after all?
- Big "NO!":
- In "Gelatin Swingsets", we discover what a Big No sounds like translated into scat.Scootaloo: Skoooooooooooooooooooooooobobidobidooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
- In "The Penny and Clyde Show":Pinkie: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Applejack: Dammit, Pinkie, would you just shut up?
- The cold open of "All A Boot Shy" ends with Pinkie shouting "Oh nooooooooo..." and Rarity shouting "Oh my goooooooooosh," at the same time. Their cries continue over the entire opening credits, and into the next scene.
- In "Gelatin Swingsets", we discover what a Big No sounds like translated into scat.
- Bilingual Dialogue: Subverted in "Forgettershy":Fluttershy: What's that, Mr. Badger? You say all my pegasus friends are down by the lake making a tornado? You say they all forgot about me? You say I should fly over there to help 'em out? Well, alrighty then!
Mr. Badger: I didn't say any of that, and you damn well know it!
- Black-and-Grey Morality: At its best, our "heroes" may be a bunch of Jerkasses, but they're not the psychopaths they go up against.
- Black Comedy: Jokes about racism and off-screen deaths. Possibly the blackest moment is in "Pinkie's Day In", when Pinkie kills two babies through incompetent parenting. Lampshaded, of course:Mrs. Cake: Well, this series took quite a dark turn.
Pinkie: Yeah, even I feel kinda bad making jokes about dead babies.
- That moment may or may not be topped by "Big Sister is Watching", when Applebloom is discovered to not only have destroyed the kitchen, but also the living room. Then we see a dead Winona thrown into the fridge, leaving a trail of blood as she slides down to the floor.Caption: Did we just kill a puppy? Okay, now we've gone too far.
- That moment may or may not be topped by "Big Sister is Watching", when Applebloom is discovered to not only have destroyed the kitchen, but also the living room. Then we see a dead Winona thrown into the fridge, leaving a trail of blood as she slides down to the floor.
- Black Comedy Cannibalism:
- Possibly. References are made to characters eating glue, off-screen (Cheerilee in "Gelatin Swingsets", and Sweetie Belle in "Gossip Girls") but it's never explained whether glue is synthetic or made from horses in this version of Equestria. Ditto the gelatin from the aforementioned swingsets.
- Granny Smith mentions in passing that she and her family ate babies back in the day.
- *Bleep*-dammit!: In "What Is the Deal" when Rainbow Dash realizes that someone said the word "bitch" uncensored.Rainbow Dash: Hey, you can't do that! That means you really did swear! Someone put up a censor bleep!
Rainbow Dash: Phew, that was a close one.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs:Twilight: I hope you get crabs!
Nightmoon Mare: Well, that's kind of a mean thing to say.
Twilight: And the crabs give you cancer.
Nightmoon Mare: What?
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In "But We're Cousins":Pinkie Pie: I'm still super happy and like to troll ponies and play pranks! Like that one time I put a whoopee cushion on Fluttershy's bed, and that other time I set Twilight's house on fire!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Discord is aware of the theme tune:Discord: Twilight, guess what!
Twilight: What is it now!?
Twilight: What is that supposed to—
Theme music (cutting in): Frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeends!
- Rarity is mad that she never gets to say "Ultra Fast Pony!" at the beginning of the episode.
- Brick Joke:
- In the season one finale, Rarity complains about not getting to do an intro yet and declares she will get to do one in an episode that Twilight will be absent from. Cut to Episode 31 "Sister Angst", in which Twilight is physically absent (but frequently yells at Rarity from the background), but Sweetie Belle takes the opportunity to do the intro instead, much to Rarity's frustration. In Episode 79, "The Song Stress", Rarity is still waiting for her intro, and in Episode 84, "Sweetie Dreams", Sweetie Belle brags to Rarity about being able to do the intro.
- In the Season 2 trailer, Twilight has a bit where she says "I'm just full of all the emotions!" This line isn't used until the last episode of Season 3, where she tells people to stop griping about her not saying it.
- Brief Accent Imitation: In "Winning", Applejack switches to her canon accent for the sake of a joke.Twilight: Wow, I can't believe we're using plot points from the actual show this time!
Applejack: [in a southern US accent] Aw, shucks, Twilight. We always try to be as accurate as we can!
- Bring My Brown Pants: The ponies are telling ghost stories in the middle of the night when Rarity suddenly wakes up and threatens to kill them. This apparently causes Rainbow Dash to wet everyone's beds at the same time (unless she's exaggerating).
- Bungled Suicide: Twilight attempts to end her life in "Rainbow V Daring" but fails because she hangs herself with a licorice rope. Which she munches on as she's hanging.
- The Bus Came Back: Wacarb admitted that this started becoming a problem in later episodes, since he designed a lot of characters (such as Discord, Trixie, and the Flim Flam Brothers) to be flat, one-off characters but he had to work with them since they kept coming back.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: In "Pirate Shipping", the "love potion" is just alcohol. Cheerilee and Big Mac drink it, fall madly in love, get married, and consummate their union (all night long), before regaining sobriety.
- By "No", I Mean "Yes":
- In "Top Dumb":Rainbow: I'm not a liar. I didn't say there was going to be pie, I said there would be tiramisu! ... But there's no tiramisu. I lied about that.
- In The Movie: The Moviening:Applejack: Now, I'm open to ideas. Remember there are no stupid ideas, just stupid people. So, Rainbow Dash, you're not allowed to talk.
- In "Top Dumb":
- Caffeine Failure: In "Smoky and the Crystals", Princess Cadance is eating coffee beans in order to stay awake and keep casting a magic spell. It gets bad enough that she screams at random intervals and has crazy hallucinations. By the end of the episode, she collapses from exhaustion anyway.
- Call-Back: The last stinger at the end of the season one finale is a reference back to the first episode: Nightmoon Mare saying, "Saaaaaaaaaaaaaand!"
- In "Weeds", Twilight said she would kill herself if there was ever more than one Rainbow Dash. Three episodes later, Twilight tries to kill herself after discovering somepony near-identical to Rainbow Dash... with licorice rope.
- "On Your Mark" has one to "Ponynet Fight". Twilight says that nothing is illegal if it's for science whilst stalking Pinkie Pie. That explains why she was okay with Sweetie Belle stealing money from her wallet. It was for science!
- Came Back Strong: In the season 3 finale, the Elements of Harmony explicitly kill Twilight Sparkle. Then she comes back from the dead as an alicorn princess.
- Camp Straight: Shining Armor likes hanging around girls, reads fashion magazines, goes to musicals, speaks in a stereotypically homosexual accent, goes skinny dipping with the other guys in the royal guard, and even had sex with another stallion before (he said no homo!), yet is still straight and in love with Cadance.
- Chase Scene: Subverted in The Movie: The Moviening. When Sunset Shimmer steals Twilight's big crown thingy, Twi announces that it's going to be an epic chase scene. Fast rock music plays as Sunset flees—but Twilight's completely winded by the time she reaches her bedroom door. All she can do is stand there, wheezing.
- Chekhov's Gag: In Blue Twilight's debut episode, wacarb jokes that Purple Twilight and Blue Twilight are two-fifths of a full set of Twilight Rangers. Two seasons later, Blue Twilight returns, and she's accompanied by yet another ranger: Yellow Twilight. Then in The Movie: The Moviening, Sunset Shimmer is also called Orange Twilight.
- Clockwork Prediction: Twilight has a very bad tendency to tempt fate. So the episode "Purple Party Pooper" has a bystander lampshade it:Twilight: Oh, today has been the worst day of my life. I don't think today could get any worse than this!
Applejack: Karma in three... two...
[Princess Celestia suddenly arrives.]
Princess Celestia: Twilight, you are in a lot of trouble.
- Cluster Bleep-Bomb:
- Twilight breaks into one when she learns that her friends won't be coming to celebrate her birthday. Spike is Dumb Struck.Twilight: Motherfu— [bleeeeeeeep] rotten little [bleeeeeeeeeeep] I'm gonna [bleeeeeep] right where Celestia doesn't shine!
- Aside from Sunset Shimmer herself, everyone calls her "Suns[bleep]t Sh[bleep]er" instead—turning every conversation about her into this trope.
- Twilight breaks into one when she learns that her friends won't be coming to celebrate her birthday. Spike is Dumb Struck.
- Comically Missing the Point: All over the place.
- In "Funk Master Z", after establishing that Twilight is the only one of the mane six who isn't racist towards Zecora:Twilight: You know what? You all stay here, and I'm gonna go talk to her.
Pinkie: Don't worry Twilight, we'll go with you!
Twilight: Did you not just hear a word I said?!
Applejack: Yeah, but we hate listening to you, remember?
Twilight: Fine! Whatever!
- In "Gelatin Swingsets", after Scootaloo learns that Sweetie Belle sold her scooter:Scootaloo: <Will you please excuse me for a moment?>
Sweetie Belle: Sure, okay.
[Scootaloo smashes her face into the piano keyboard repeatedly.]
Sweetie Belle: What'd you do that for?
Scootaloo: <Being in this group makes me want to cry.>
Sweetie Belle: Well, maybe you wouldn't feel so bad if you didn't hit your head on the piano.
[Beat. Sweetie Belle smiles at Scootaloo.]
[Scootaloo resumes smashing her head against the keyboard.]
Sweetie Belle: I like that noise, though. Totally brutal.
- In "The Longest Episode":Spitfire: In fact, you're not allowed in my presence anymore. Stop following me.
Rainbow Dash: Omigosh, that's a friggin' secret code! That's the secret code for I have to follow her! I am so freakin' good at secret codes.
- In "The Penny and Clyde Show":Discord: Silly soliloquies, / this strange dance. / You'll find your teacups / up the backside of your pants.
Twilight: Hmm, a riddle. And I've got the answer! He must have hidden them in the labyrinth!
Applejack: Actually, I think that was just a roundabout way of him saying "Shove it up your a"
Twilight: To the maze-y place!
- In "Derp and Destruction", Applejack tries to give an important warning to the rest of the cast, but keeps getting interrupted.Applejack: Damn it all, I'm trying to give you important information so that when I get back, the town isn't destroyed!
Twilight: I want an ice cream!
Pinkie: Oh, me too!
Applejack: For the last time, this is extremely important! You all need to remember to—
Twilight: And two hard-boiled eggs!
- In "So Random!":Cranky: I just want to be left alone, thank you very much.
Pinkie: Oh, I think I understand, Funky. You want me to get in your cart and have a look at your stuff. Don't worry, I can do that!
- "All A Boot Shy" references one of the classic examples of this trope:Rarity: Surely you can't be serious!
Fluttershy: I am shyly. And don't call me serious!
- In "Forgettershy":Rainbow: I just dumped [the rubbish] in that abandoned library.
Twilight: Dammit Rainbow Dash! That's not an abandoned library, that's my home, I live there!
Rainbow: Ooooooh. So that's why you kept saying "Guys get out of my house" the other night.
Rainbow: Well, why didn't you say so?
- In "The Longest Engagement":Twilight: Oh, it's a letter from the princess.
Applejack: Well, how about that. Which one?
Twilight: All 26 of them! And they've been arranged to form different words and sentences!
- And the letter in question opens with "Dear Twilight, This letter is for your eyes only." Yet Twilight reads the entire thing aloud to her friends.
- And:Twilight: What's this about you marrying some mare? You're supposed to be gay!
Shining Armor: Well of course I'm happy, Twilight, why wouldn't I be? I'm getting married!
- In "A Sombra Affair", Spike is discussing Twilight's weight problem:Spike: You know, this wouldn't be much of a problem if you just exercised more.
Twilight: What are you talking about? I have a treadmill at home!
Spike: You do know you have to actually use it in order of it to work?
Twilight: And waste all my time running and going nowhere? Why would I do that?
- In "Top Dumb":Spitfire: Oh no, not you. Rainbow Dash, what are you doing here?
Rainbow Dash: I'm Rainbow Dash!
Spitfire: You have been a constant headache to me since the first time I met you. Once again, what are you doing here?
Rainbow Dash: I am Rainbow Dash!
Spitfire: For pony's sake, I am not asking you what your name is!
Rainbow Dash: I am Dainbow Rash!
- In "The Longest Recap", Celestia brings up that time that Twilight was showering and the soap suddenly started slathering itself all over Twilight, and Celestia lets slip that she was right there, invisible. She claims that she was rescuing Twilight from some other, also invisible, pony—and Twilight doesn't think to question this.
- Later that same episode:Applejack: So, why don't you come down here so I can beat the living crap outta you!
Rainbow Dash: Yeah, okay. Wait a minute, are you trying to trick me again?
Rainbow: Okay, but this better not be a trick.
- Also in the same episode:Fluttershy: So, what kind of pet do you want, Rainbow Dash?
Rainbow: I want something super fast that can fly!
Fluttershy: How about this really old, about-to-die tortoise?
Rainbow: Omigosh, that's exactly what I wanted! Thanks, Fluttershy!
- In "Survivor: Equestria," it is lampshaded when Rainbow Dash and Applejack "somewhat expectedly" get covered in bees.Applejack: Rainbow Dash, I told you not to cover us in honey!
Rainbow Dash: I thought it was a trick question!
Applejack: It wasn't even a normal question; all you had to do was not cover us in honey!
Rainbow Dash: How was I supposed to know that?
Applejack: Because I said so!
Rainbow Dash: Well, don't you feel silly for thinking that I'd do the right thing!
Applejack: I well, I guess you got a point there.
- In "This One Time at Flight Camp":Fluttershy: Didn't it have something to do with the fate of the world?
Rainbow Dash: Uh, Fluttershy. The world is a circle, it doesn't have feet.
- Later that same episode, Fleetfoot keeps saying things that make it more and more blatantly clear that Soarin and Spitfire are her parents. Rainbow Dash keeps finding ways to misinterpret her, concluding that Fleetfoot is anything but their daughter. If it were anypony else, one might think she were in denial, but Rainbow Dash could genuinely be that stupid.
- In "Creationism":Twilight Sparkle: Spike, what did you do?
Spike: I, uhh... may have given Rarity a book that might've had a... hex on it?
Twilight Sparkle: You gave Rarity a book?! Spike, what's wrong with you?!
- In "Funk Master Z", after establishing that Twilight is the only one of the mane six who isn't racist towards Zecora:
- Comically Small Demand: Rarity ends up damning her soul to eternal fiery torment (and trading most of Twilight's blood) to get Maud to splash Rainbow Dash with water
- Commie Land: In "How to Control Freaks", Spike makes an offhand comment about Equestria being a "communist dictatorship"... and implies that Twilight is trying to replace it with a fascist dictatorship.
- Complexity Addiction: Rarity's plan "Copywrong" is an incredibly convoluted way to kick Rainbow Dash in the ovaries, including details that aren't even important, but she included them anyway in case someone thought it would be. We also get this bit in "The Movie":Applejack: We got all of the players in place, but we still need a plan...
Rarity: I have a plan, everyone!
Applejack: And it can't be anything overly convoluted.
[Rarity stands in silence]
Applejack: That means complicated.
[Rarity stands in silence]
Applejack: Hard to understand.
Rarity: I don't have a plan, everyone!
- Confession Cam: Parodied in "Survivor Equestria", where Rarity speaks directly to the camera to openly plot against her teammate Fluttershy—even though Fluttershy is just a few feet off-screen and can hear everything Rarity says.
- Confusing Multiple Negatives: In "Discord and Me", as they're arguing about whether to try reforming Discord:Twilight: Oh, no, we are not doing this, Fluttershy! You'd better not!
Celestia: Fluttershy, I think the healthier choice for you would be to not not.
Twilight: Don't give in, Fluttershy! You will not not not!
Celestia: Yes, or you could not not not not!
Twilight: Fluttershy! You have to not not... not... not?
Celestia: Ha! I win.
- Conspiracy Theorist: In "Time", Rainbow Dash is convinced that time doesn't actually exist. It's just a conspiracy to sell doughnuts. She's probably right.
- Continuity Creep: Seasons 3 and 4 have a slightly higher focus on continuity than the earlier seasons
- Continuity Nod:
- Lampshaded. The Cutie Mark Crusaders kidnap Luna to finance their fort; in the next episode, Celestia mentions that she's "pretending to care" about the kidnapping. This is accompanied by the caption "EPIC CONTINUITY!"
- In "Top Dumb", as Rarity falls towards certain death for the umpteenth time, she shouts "I fricking hate déjà vu!"
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Celestia gets angry that Fluttershy is late for the tea party, so she regales her other guests with an agonizingly detailed account of every prior tea party she's ever had in her millennia of existence.
- Corrupt Politician: This one line by Mayor Mare during a speech basically implies this in neon lights:Mayor Mare: I thank you all for coming and not running against me as mayor again, especially after my last opposition was found dead in that river. We may never know how he got there.
- In a later episode, it's revealed that she embezzled funds to be used for her luxury home by the coast
- Could Say It, But...:Granny Smith: Much different from the ponies today, who only seem to whine and complain, without naming Apple Bloom's name...
- Country Matters: In "The At Odds Couple" when Discord and Fluttershy are having a spat.
- Crapsaccharine World:
- In "The Cheesen One":Rainbow Dash: There's one thing I'll never understand, Scootaloo. Why can't everyone in Ponyville just accept me for who I am?
Scootaloo: <Maybe because we live in a corrupt society where the lower class are mistreated while unelected dictators take all they want without thought towards building a more stable future for us all to live in.>
- In "The Longest Wedding":Chrysalis: No, it must be pure love!
Twilight: And you came looking for it in Equestria?
Twilight: That's stupid. You're stupid!
- After Pinkie dies in "I Am Pinkie", the ending caption reads:Don't worry, Pinkie Pie is in a better place now.
She's in the pony underworld, in an endless struggle with the other souls of the damned, doomed for all eternity.
Still counts as a better place.
- And "The Hip Hop Happening" shows that Ponyville is terrible, even by the standards of the rest of Equestria. The sole reason that Games Inspector agrees to hold the Pony Games in the Crystal Kingdom is because Ponyville is the only other candidate city, and she'd rather die than hold the games there.
- We hear a little more about the town in "Keep It Clean", which reveals that their rats are the only things that keep the crocodiles confined to the orphanage and the water supply is contaminated.
- "Batshy Crazy" establishes that murder has been illegal in Equestria for all of ten years.
- In "The Cheesen One":
- Crazy Enough to Work:Twilight: That's all you know [about Pinkie Sense]?
Applejack: Well, if you want, you can just try asking her.
Twilight: That idea isn't crazy enough to "just might work"!
[14 hours later...]
Twilight: Pinkie, can you tell me how your Pinkie Sense works?
Pinkie: Yeah, okay.
Twilight: I can't believe that worked!
- Crossover Cosmology: If every throwaway reference is correct, then the members of the Greek pantheon (at the very least, Hades, Poseidon, and Zeus) exist. Celestia is regarded as a deity (Luna less so, just because people keep forgetting she exists). Disney and Anime are also belief systems. ("Disney lied! Animation was formed in the big bang.") Catholicism exists, but the only explicitly confirmed Catholic doesn't believe in God.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right:
- In "A Library With No Twilight", Rarity claims to be allergic to water, and only has the weakest evidence to back this up. Applejack scoffs at this, until Rarity breaks out in a nasty rash and declares "I told you I was allergic!"
- In "Time", Rainbow Dash believes that time is just an advertising ploy by the doughnut makers. Considering that the resident "time expert" is constantly shilling doughnuts, and considering the "Time to make the doughnuts!" ad campaign from Dunkin Donuts, Dash is probably on the right track.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: In "This One Time at Flight Camp", Rainbow Dash challengers Fleetfoot to a fight. Cue a "Literally 2 seconds later" card, then cut to Rainbow in a hospital bed, with all her legs and wings broken.Soarin: [to Dash] Oh, don't sweat it, kid. You were really holding your own until the fight started.
- Curse Cut Short:
- In "Random Eye Magic", both in the cold open and the ending, Twilight's cusses get cut off by the theme song and the end titles, respectively.
- In "Ponynet Fight!", Twi gets angry enough to burst into flames, then shouts "FU—" then the end titles cut her off.
- In "The Cheesen One", Scootaloo gets cut off by the opening theme. Her subtitled translation reads, "WHAT. THE. F..."
- In "What Is The Deal", when Rainbow Dash intentionally waits until it's too late to save Fluttershy from slavery before the episode ends, Fluttershy says "Rainbow Dash you motherfu—" before the cut to the end titles.
- Cutting the Knot: In FIM, the Apple Family winds up in a huge cider-making competition against the Flim Flam Brothers, a competition that almost costs them Sweet Apple Acres. In UFP, Applejack calls the competition a stupid idea and tells the Flim Flam Brothers to piss off. Which they do.
- Damned by Faint Praise: When the caption writer in "The Pet Games" isn't blatantly insulting Rainbow Dash, he's subtly insulting her with captions like, "Rainbow Dash: Smartest Mare In Her Family" or "Rainbow Dash: Knows Her Own Name".
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Blue Twilight and Yellow Twilight used The Secret Hidden Technique to escape their banishment to the Shadowdark. Judging by Purple Twilight's reaction, it must be pretty bad, but we never hear any details.
- Dark Horse Victory: In The Movie: The Moviening, the two big candidates for Prom Queen are Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle. Instead of either of them, the title goes to a talking sheet of paper.
- Demon Slaying: Cheese Sandwich and his partner, Boneless, are supposedly professionals. They get confused, however, and think that Rainbow Dash is the demon.
- Department of Redundancy Department:
- A few times in "Ponyville Noire":Dick Spiky: I handle cases too hard or illegal for the law to take: espionage, surveillance, spying, staring at ponies who don't know I'm staring at 'em...
Dick Spiky: Then Davis got mad... angry, even! We threatened Sam with anywhere from twenty-four months to two years in prison.
- Then there's this in "The Longest What Now?"Celestia: Oh, that's right, I forgot to mention. He teamed up with Discord, who is evil again or something, and every moment we spend talking, Tirek grows even stronger. So you should probably get going, Twilight, before he gets stronger. Which he is, at this moment, getting stronger even still. So do hurry, Twilight, before he gets too strong, which he might, if you don't stop him. So you should, stop him, I mean, before he gets even stronger, which is happening even as I speak. He grew stronger then, and is growing stronger now. Unless you stop him. Or he will get stronger. So you should get going. If you wait too long, he will get stronger, maybe even too strong. So go and stop Tirek before he gets too strong.
- A few times in "Ponyville Noire":
- Description Cut:
- In "Mob Wars", Applejack needs some help fighting off the bovine mob:Applejack:' Maybe some of the ponies in town can help me fight.
[Cut to an award ceremony in Ponyville]
Twilight: And that's why we're giving this award to Snuggle Berry, for being a cutesie wootsie cuddlepie!
- In "The Longest Wedding":Chrysalis: Even now, my changelings ravage your city!
[Cut to the changelings trying in vain to enter The Orb.]
The Orb: Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.
Chrysalis: Uh, that is to say, very soon, my changelings will break down the barrier!
- In "A Sombra Affair":Twilight: Oh crap, he's gonna kill us!
Shining Armor: Oh, Twilight, don't be so melodramatic. He might not kill us.
Sombra: I'm gonna kill y'all with crystals!
- In "Mob Wars", Applejack needs some help fighting off the bovine mob:
- In "Pirate Shipping", after a night of drunken sex, Big Mac and Cheerilee wake up on top of a mattress at the bottom of a deep hole. "This hole wasn't even here yesterday!"
- In "The Longest Engagement", they somehow manage to blast the roof off their house.
- Deus ex Machina: Fluttershy accuses Iron Will of being one, after discovering that he's come to Ponyville with no foreshadowing to solve her specific problem. (In practice, though, he just introduces more conflict.)Pinkie: Well, if you want, there's someone I know who can help you out. His name's Iron Will. He just moved here yesterday, and specializes in helping shy ponies be assertive!
Fluttershy: Really, that's how we're solving my problem? With a deus ex machina?
Rarity: Wait, who's having sex with machines?
- Didn't We Use This Joke Already?: "Everybody Hates Gilda" uses the song "Oh Yeah Yeah" by Marzipan for a montage. Then "Out With the Old Characters" uses the same song for a similar montage, but they get abruptly cut off.Rainbow Dash: Wait, hang on. I just remembered we already did that.
Subtitle: Editor's note. See episode 5.
- Didn't Think This Through: In "But We're Cousins":Pinkie: So why are we going by boat, anyway?
Applejack: Well, the coppers can't follow our tracks if we don't leave any tracks.
Pinkie: Yeah, but if the police learned you went by river, all they'd have to do is follow the river, wouldn't they?
Applejack: Oh, well, um...
Granny Smith: You're a real idiot, Applejack.
- And in "Out With The Old Characters"Celestia: Oh, well I'll be! A letter from one of my subjects!
'Dear Princess Celestia, we have kidnapped Luna, give us a thousand bits or you will never see her again.'
Oh, they didn't think that through!
- And in "Out With The Old Characters"
- Disney Death: When the Changelings invade Canterlot The Orb apparently dies but makes a triumphant return at the end.
- Disney Owns This Trope:
- Doctor Whooves had to change his name to Time Turner, to avoid running afoul of copyright.Apple Bloom: Oh, kind of like Timmy Turner, from that other cartoon!
Time Turner: Oh dammit!
- "Copywrong" gets interrupted by a sudden visit from the Copyright Police, who proceed to break both of Wacarb's legs.
- In "The Pet Games", the flamingo is disqualified for using Disney footage. The commentators note that this could get the entire show taken off the air.
- Doctor Whooves had to change his name to Time Turner, to avoid running afoul of copyright.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
- In "The Longest Recap":Rarity: Sorry, Sweetie Belle, but I have real-life commitments that my livelihood depends upon.
Sweetie Belle: Oh my gosh you're so rude I can't believe you said that! I'm gonna complain about you on Tumblr and they're gonna destroy you for real and I'll dance on your dead body, because I'm so mad at how you treated meeeee!
- Also in "The Longest Recap", the other five discover that Twilight experimented on their minds, and react by killing Twilight. When Twilight comes back, Pinkie apologizes and admits it was a bit of an overreaction.
- In "The Longest Recap":
- Dissimile: "Reading is just like riding a bicycle. Except instead of riding a bicycle, you're reading a book."
- Dissonant Serenity: This happens a lot, since the visuals come from the actual show. The characters often insult each other with big smiles on their faces, or smile even when something horrible is happening.
- Distinction Without a Difference:
- In "Funk Master Z":Pinkie Pie: Oh, we're not racist. We just hate Zecora cause we don't understand her.
Twilight: That is racism, you idiot!
Pinkie: Oh, yeah, I guess it is. Whoops! Hehe.
- In "The Longest Wedding":Twilight: Hey, I am not fat! I'm just bigger than the above-average pony.
- In "Funk Master Z":
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: In "Ponyville Noire", Roxine hires Dick Spiky to find out who's framing her and her partner, Melvin, for a crime. Turns out the culprit is Melvin, who framed himself to distract from his real plot: killing Roxine to steal her inheritance.
- Double Standard:
- Lampshaded. "There is no swearing in Ultra Fast Pony. Racism and sexual innuendos are OK. But no swearing!"
- In "One Joke to Rule Them All", Twilight's "new joke" gets a tepid reaction from everyone. At the end, Princess Celestia tells exactly the same joke, but everyone cracks up at it. Twilight does not take this well.
- "Breaking copyright laws is bad. Racism is OK."
- In "The Longest Recap", King Sombra and Blue Twilight commit the same crimes, but racism works in Blue Twilight's favor for once:Blue Twilight: I'm so sorry I took over your town. Can you ever forgive me?
Purple Twilight: Well, last time someone tried to take over a city and try to make everyone there a slave, only a few episodes ago, we blew his ass up into a million pieces. But you're not black, so I guess we can forgive you.
- Dramatic Irony: In The Movie: The Moviening:Celestia: Twilight, it's a freaking Element of Harmony. They don't just grow on trees, you know.
- Dramatic Shattering: When the Changelings enter the Orb.
- Drawing Straws: In "The Cheesen Ones", when Snips asks why they're all there, Scootaloo says it's because they all drew short straws. Snips says that they probably shouldn't have let Rainbow Dash hold the straws, since there were three long ones and all the rest were short.
- Dream Land: In "The Nightmoon Mare Zone", Scootaloo and Princess Luna wind up together in dreamland, where a lucid dreamer can do anything they want... as long as it's in the original episode's footage. Scootaloo uses this to speak in normal English for the first time.
- Dream Within a Dream: In "Random Eye Magic", Spike wakes up from a dream... then turns around and tells Twilight that she's the one who's dreaming, and she wakes up. She wakes up again at the end of the episode—it was All Just a Dream.
- Drinking Game:
- "A Dog and Pony Show" becomes "The David Bowie Drinking Game", with the opening text encouraging viewers to take a drink for every single reference to David Bowie. The very next scene consists of Rarity chanting: "Bowie Bowie Bowie Bowie Bowie Bowie Bowie Bowie Bowie..."
- "Time" tells viewers to take a drink every time someone says "time".
- For "I Am Pinkie", the video description encourages viewers to take a drink every time they hear the word "Bro". For reference, this is the episode where Pinkie (who uses "bro" as punctuation) clones herself."On second thought's, it's better just to be drunk for every episode."
- Driven to Suicide: In "Weeds", Twilight mentions offhand that she would kill herself if there were ever two Rainbow Dashes. A few episodes later, in "Rainbow V Daring", Twilight discovers that Daring Do is a second Rainbow Dash, more or less—and she follows through on her suicide threat. Or she tries, at least.
- Drone of Dread: In "Saturday Morning Ponies", the soundtrack mostly consists of a single, ominous synth chord. The captions wonder how long that drone will persist, and the episode's stinger is just live footage of Wacarb "playing" it (that is, holding down two keys).
- Dull Surprise / Flat Joy: Used as a joke. Large crowds' reactions are represented by a single, completely unemotional voice. Lampshaded in "The Cheesen One", where Rainbow Dash gets annoyed that the cheers from her adoring fans sound like crap.Mare: Someone help. My baby's about to die. That really cheeses me off.
Rainbow Dash: Okay, I saved it. Everyone cheer!
Rainbow Dash: What, seriously, is that it?
Rainbow Dash: Wow. We've gotten really lazy at doing the crowd noises.
Crowd: [A Stock Scream. Loud, panicked screaming, at that.]
Rainbow Dash: Now you're just using one that we've used before!
- Dumb Struck:
- In "Purple Party Pooper", Spike is shocked into silence by Twilight's Cluster Bleep-Bomb.
- In "The Hip Hop Happening", Rainbow Dash gives a suggestion so stupid that Twilight temporarily forgets how to rap.Rainbow Dash: I know what'll put a smile on her face! / I'll put her on my back, and I'll fly into space!
Twilight: That is so dumb! Dummy dumb dumb dumb dumb! Dummy dumb dumb dumb stupid dumb!
- Easy Impersonation: While impersonating Princess Cadance, Chrysalis acts and sounds nothing like Cadance, yet no one catches on. Shining Armor was apparently brainwashed, and Twilight has the excuse that she hadn't seen Cadance in years (and apparently doesn't know how puberty works), but everyone else in Canterlot really dropped the ball.
- Elephant in the Living Room:
- For reasons unknown, everypony seems to know about humans but is afraid to talk directly about them.Twilight: You don't have time for that? You, of all people?
Rarity: [gasp] You said "people"!
Twilight: There's nothing wrong with "people". It's "human" we're not allowed to say.
Rarity: You said "human"!
Twilight: Oh no! Oh, wait, so did you!
- Happens again in The Movie: The Moviening. In the human world, pony is "the forbidden word".
- For reasons unknown, everypony seems to know about humans but is afraid to talk directly about them.
- Endless Daytime:
- "Ponynet Fight!" uses the "14 hours later..." scene transition six times, and Spike wonders why the sun doesn't set at all during those 84 hours. Twilight points out that Luna was kidnapped, and Celestia's apparently too lazy to raise the moon while she's gone.
- It happens again in "Purple Party Pooper". This time, Celestia's extending the day because it's her birthday.
- The End... Or Is It?: In "Funk Master Z", Fluttershy gets turned into a white girl by the poison joke—this is indicated by her shouting the names of random white celebrities (instead of black celebrities, like she usually does). At the end, after everyone has supposedly been cured:Twilight: And now the curse is finally gone. Right, Fluttershy?
Fluttershy: Michael Jackson!
- Enemy Mine: In "A Library With No Twilight", Applejack and Rarity have to put aside their differences so they can unite against the narrator's creepy voiceovers.
- Epic Fail:
- In the opening of "How Not to Train Your Dragon", Twilight warns the other ponies to not let the passing dragons burn them. Rainbow Dash is somehow already burnt, even though the dragons haven't arrived yet.
- In "Stranger than Fan Fiction":Twilight: [Reading from the script] I guess I'd better... go? [aside] How do you misspell the word "go"?
- In "Rainbow V Daring," Twilight tries to hang herself. With licorice rope. While she was eating it. It goes just as badly (and hilariously) as Rarity describes it.
- In "You're Gonna Carry That Flag," apparently weird things inexplicably happen whenever you try to carry a flag.Sweetie Belle: This one time, I held a flag for like twenty seconds, but then it landed in the toilet and exploded.
Apple Bloom: My personal best was seventeen seconds before it turned into a purse.
Diamond Tiara: I once held a flag for thirty-five seconds, until it grew a beard and won't leave my parents' basement.
- And when Scootaloo has to carry the flag, she gets the "plague of flying cats flag". Hilarity ensues.
- Escalating Punchline: A brief one in "To Kill a Firebird":Twilight: Do you know how many that is?
Fluttershy: Oh, I dunno. Seven?
Twilight: No, ten. Hundred. Thousand. Million!
- Eskimos Aren't Real:
- In "Granny Smith Is Mean":Filthy Rich: And that was when I figured out, Mexicans aren't even real. So you don't have to be afraid anymore, children.
- In "Pirate Shipping:"Sweetie Belle: Yeah, Scootaloo, the gays and the Mexicans don't exist.
- In "Granny Smith Is Mean":
- Everybody Laughs Ending: In "You're Gonna Carry That Flag":Apple Bloom: I guess [Diamond Tiara] was all bark and no... carrying a flag.
[The Cutie Mark Crusaders and Rainbow Dash all laugh at this.]
Rainbow Dash: It's funny, because her dad couldn't be here, because his wife died.
Sweetie Belle: Holy crap, this show has so many dead parents now.
[Everyone continues laughing.]
- Evil Gloating: In "Ponyville Noire":Dick Spiky: He told me his plan, for some weird reason.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: In The Movie: The Moviening:Twilight: Are you a pedophile?
Sunset: Look, just because I hang around children and force them to love me and have showers with them oh my god I really am turning into Celestia...
- Extra-Long Episode: UFP episodes are always between 4 and 6 minutes long. However, season finale episodes instead run 10 to 15 minutes long. Lampshaded, as these episodes are all titled "The Longest [noun]". The movies, naturally, are even longer, both rolling the outro after 20 minutes and change. The 100th episode is the longest, as it's just a few seconds short of 22 minutes (which is the length of a regular Friendship Is Magic episode).
- Extreme Libido: Spitfire is implied to be addicted: in "Top Dumb", her husband gives her oral sex for hours on end, and she insists she's still not satisfied.
- Eye Scream: In "Forgettershy":[Rainbow Dash crashes into a tree with her face, so hard that her eyes bore holes through the trunk.]
Rainbow Dash: Ow! My eyes! But now I'm okay.
- Failed a Spot Check:
- Fluttershy is supposed to wait until the snow is cleared away before waking up the animals. She doesn't notice that the snow is still there, even though she's standing in it.Fluttershy: I thought it was dandruff!
- And, 49 episodes in:Sweetie Belle: Holy crap, guys! A talking pony!
- In "Ponyville Noire", Dick and Davis interrogate Sam, who refuses to even talk to them...Dick Spiky: That's when I realized we had been barking up the wrong tree this whole time. Sam couldn't have framed the rabbit. Sam had been dead for five years. We spent all that time yelling at some small alligator thing.
- In "But We're Cousins", Twilight is inside her house as it's burning down:Twilight: Spike, can you turn the air conditioning up to high? It's getting a bit warm in here.
Spike: Master, please! The house is on fire!
Twilight: ...Turn it up to very high.
- In "This One Time at Flight Camp", Twilight stands at Rainbow Dash's side for hours before Dash notices her and says "Hello, Twilight."
- Fluttershy is supposed to wait until the snow is cleared away before waking up the animals. She doesn't notice that the snow is still there, even though she's standing in it.
- Fake-Out Fade-Out: "Discord and Me" uses this a few times.Discord: Hey, Fluttershy, let's end the episode now!
[The end credits start playing...]
Fluttershy: No, I think we'll get in trouble if we end it this early.
- Fake Static: In "Random Eye Magic".Twilight: Hey, you get back here, I'm speaking to you!
Rainbow: I'm sorry Twilight, I can't hear you, I'm going through a tunnel or something.
Twilight: You're in the sky!
Rainbow: I can't hear you, Twilight!
- Fandom Rivalry: Shows up in-universe: Discord uses it to break Pinkie Pie.Discord: Harry Potter was better!
- Fan Dumb: Rarity invokes this to annoy the David Bowies.
- Fantastic Racism: Gilda and Blue Twilight are driven away because the citizens of Ponyville are complete xenophobes. The ponies try to do the same to Zecora, but she successfully defends herself. (The dragon incident is kind of a wash. Applejack is gung-ho for killing the dragon, but Twilight convinces most of the ponies to try reasoning with him... until AJ points out she can have Big Mc Intosh break the spines of everyone who doesn't agree with her plan.) Pegasi were (or possibly still are) generally used as slave labor. All of these play out with enough references to Real Life racism that the captioned disclaimer "I swear I'm not racist" becomes a running gag.
- Faux Horrific:
- In the first episode, Twilight's reaction to Dash ruining her hair is "Truly, yours is the most evil of evils!"
- In "Funk Master Z", the mane six are horrified by Fluttershy's transformation into a white mare, who shouts the names of white celebrities.
- In "Derp and Destruction", the cast are visited by a creepy postman... who has a letter for them! "Everyone, remain on the verge of panic!"
- Fauxlosophic Narration: "Time" parodies this, as the narrator muses about the nature of time, and very quickly degenerates into gibberish.Narrator: Would we know whether or not time is real, depending on whether or not time is real? The answer, is three.
- Fauxshadowing: Rarity, in "The Longest Episode", is upset that she never gets to introduce the episode. She then claims that in the following season, she'll not only introduce the episode, but Twilight won't be allowed in it. Cue said episode, "Sister Angst", it's Sweetie Belle who introduces the episode and Twilight's just offscreen.
- Fictional Holiday:
- In "Utter Lunacy", no one can agree on the name of the holiday. Twilight calls it Halloween (though she cuts herself off), Mayor Mare calls it Scary Give Candy Night, and Luna declares "Merry Scaremas, everyone!"
- Similarly, in "Pirate Shipping" the date is alternately known as Heartsgiving and Love Dependence Day.
- Filk Song: "UFP sings Bohemian Rhapsody" is a parody with new lyrics specifically about the UFP cast. (Unlike the previous "UFP sings..." videos, which were straightforward but incompetent cover versions.)
- Final Speech:
- Discussed in "The Cheesen One". Rainbow Dash's mom may or may not have said something profound to Dash just before she died.Rainbow Dash: Let me tell you something my mother used to say to me.
Twilight: Your mother died giving birth to you!
Rainbow: So I'll tell you what she said.
Twilight: Unless she said, "Guys, I think I might be dying, I think I'm dying, oh god I'm actually dying, I'm dying, I'm dead," I won't believe you.
Rainbow: She said life is like a wheel of cheese...
Twilight: I don't believe you.
Rainbow: ...and you have to eat the cheese before it gets moldy.
- In "The Best Episode Ever", Fluttershy, Applejack, and Twilight's characters face death together, and meet it in their own ways:Flying Monkey Crap: Forsooth! What great tragedy that lays its hands towards our ungainly demise! Fie and folly! I let out my final breath, and draw nearer to sweetest death.
Chancellor Councilor's assistant: You're absolutely right, Flying Monkey Crap. This does suck balls.
Clover: Oh no! I die. Aaaaah...
- Discussed in "The Cheesen One". Rainbow Dash's mom may or may not have said something profound to Dash just before she died.
- Flame Bait: In "Faith to Faith", Flim and Flam come to Ponyville preaching religion.Twilight: Hmm. Someone's trying to bring religion to Ponyville. Watch out Spike! This may turn violent and/or the apocalypse.
- Flintstone Theming: Defied and lampshaded. Characters frequently use insufficiently ponified dialogue (like "everybody" or "Oh, man..." or references to "both your legs") and the captions react with shock nearly every time.Twilight: Pinkie, you are not the internet!
Pinkie: Oh, you mean ponynet!
Twilight: Not everything has to have the word "pony" on it!
Celestia: Want to name a country after horses, even though there are plenty of other creatures living here? Do it! You're immortal, who cares?
- Foe Romance Subtext: In "Stranger than Fan Fiction" Twilight Sparkle suddenly can't stop talking about how sexy and awesome Yellow Twilight is.
- Forced Meme: In the video description for "This One Time at Flight Camp":You have been visited by the rainbow horse of stupidity. Bad luck and flatulence will come to you, but only if you comment 'Hello Twilight' on this video.
- Foreshadowing: This bit from the movie:Celestia: You lost the element, you get it back.Twilight: Screw that, I'll just get another one.Celestia: Twilight, it's a freaking Element of Harmony. They don't just grow on trees you know.
- Forgotten Framing Device: "The Nightmoon Mare Zone" starts with a parody of The Twilight Zone (1959)'s opening, but that parody aspect gets dropped immediately afterwards.
- Fountain of Youth: "Maken Babies" implies some form of deaging has replaced sex as the primary means of reproduction.
- "The Longest Recap Ever" reveals this is how Twilight has made Spike stay so young so long.
- Freudian Slip: As it becomes clear that Celestia is less than happy with Rarity staying in Twilight's old bedroom:Rarity: Okay, look, do you want me to stay somewhere else?
Celestia: Oh, no no no! No, no no no no. No. No. Yes. No. No. No. You can stay here.
- Freudian Threat: Applejack apparently mistakes Twilight for a stallion: "Don't even think about telling the law! I'll cut your nuts off!"
- Fun with Acronyms:
- In "How to Control Freaks", Twilight insists that Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder should instead be called Aggressively Belligerent Compulsive Disorder.
- In "How Not to Train Your Dragon", the dragon frat boys form the Brother's Republic Of Noble Youth.
- Furry Confusion: In "The Longest Recap":Fluttershy: I'm so angry, I could eat a horse!
Rarity: What the heck is a horse?
- Gagging on Your Words: In "But We're Cousins", Granny Smith tries to claim that she's letting Pinkie join her family out of the kindness of her heart, but she has trouble saying it.Applejack: Oh, don't mind her. She's just had trouble saying the word "heart" ever since she lost hers, years ago.
Caption: Kind of like how I have trouble saying "talent".
- Gambler's Fallacy: Used and lampshaded in "Derp and Destruction":Twilight: Hmm. I've got it. We'll run away and hide! Because it didn't work this time, so according to the laws of heads and tails, it must work the next time!
Fluttershy: I don't think the laws of probability work like that.
- Gilligan Cut:
- Aside from the example under Crazy Enough To Work (above) there's:Applejack: I bet you're gay.
Rarity: I am not!
[14 hours later...]
[Night has fallen, and Applejack and Rarity are sharing a bed.]
Rarity: This doesn't prove anything.
- In "Bummer in the City":Twilight: Don't worry, Rarity! No matter how hard it gets, we won't quit!
[Literally 2 seconds later]
Twilight: It's too hard! Can we quit now?
- Aside from the example under Crazy Enough To Work (above) there's:
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot:
- The narrator certainly thinks so. Particularly noticeable in "A Library with No Twilight", where every comment from the narrator is not-so-subtly encouraging Rarity and Applejack to get into compromising positions.
- Referenced in "The Best Episode Ever", where the mane six put on a play because Twilight misunderstands the audience and thinks they want "smoking hot thespian action".
- The Glomp: In "The Longest Recap", as Rainbow Dash tackles Twilight:Rainbow: The power of hugs compels you!
Twilight: Why would you do that?
Rainbow: It's the only way I know to show love! Shut up!
- Golden Snitch: Rainbow Dash chooses the five finalists for the Pet Games completely at random, rendering all the prior rounds pointless.
- Good Is Boring: In "Discord and Me", as they're discussing the process of reforming Discord:Fluttershy: I don't even know why I was chosen to do this.
Twilight: Well, reformation is just a fancy way of saying "We're going to make you into a boring character." And, since you're the most boring out of all of us...
- Good News, Bad News: In "On Your Mark"Apple Bloom: Alright you two, I'm calling an emergency Crusader meeting. I've got some really bad news.
Sweetie Belle: Aww, I hate bad news. Can you tell us the good news first?
Apple Bloom: What? No, there's no good news, it's just bad.
Scootaloo: <No, I think Sweetie Belle is right. It's always good news and bad news.>
Apple Bloom: Yeah, well there's no good news this time.
Sweetie Belle: Aww, that sucks. Well at least that's the bad news out of the way. What's the good news?
Apple Bloom: No there isn't any—look, Sweetie Belle, you need to shut up!
Scootaloo: <Was that the good news? I liked it!>
Apple Bloom: Damn it all, we're out of money, okay?!
Sweetie Belle: That's the worst good news I've ever heard! You suck at good news, Apple Bloom!
- Gray-and-Grey Morality: In "How Not to Train Your Dragon", both the ponies and the dragon bros are abusive jerks. Tellingly, the dragon bros insist that Spike break the phoenix egg—then, after "fighting" the dragons off, the ponies (or, at least Twilight) make Spike cook the egg for breakfast.
- Greedy Jew: Rainbow Dash cracks a joke to this effect, ruining Daring Do for Twilight.Rainbow: She went through all that just to get a friggin' statue? More like Daring Jew, amirite?
- Hard-Work Montage:
- In "Little Miss Montage", Rarity uses her powers as "the master of montages" to finish dresses for her friends in record time.
- Subverted in the "Behind the Scenes" video. Wacarb says he'll show us the process of creating a UFP episode. What follows is a montage of him playing Cookie Clicker, running around his house randomly, falling asleep while playing Cookie Clicker, singing along to "When You Say Nothing At All", running into a couch, and finally a scene of him agonizing over the vocal delivery of a single word.
- Hat of Power: The actual powers are never elaborated on, but In "Rocks, Clocks, and Two Stupid Ponies", Applejack attributes her success in life to wearing a hat. Twilight Sparkle agrees that AJ's hat might pose serious competition to her own magic powers (while completely dismissing pegasus wings as a threat).
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: Whatever it is Celestia is watching Big Mac and Cheerilee doing through a telescope in "The Longest Engagement".Celestia: Whoa! I'm pretty sure I made that illegal!
- Heh Heh, You Said "X":
- In "The Butts Family":Pinkie Pie: Haha! Bro! His name is Thunderbutts! Hey, bro! His name is Thunderbutts, bro, yeah it's funny.
- In The Movie: The Moviening:Sunset Shimmer: Not so fast, Princess!
Pinkie Pie: Haha, she said "nuts", kind of.
- In "The Butts Family":
- Here We Go Again!: Keep It Clean ends with Ponyville successfully bribing the health inspector... before the closed caption:Too bad the racial sensitivity trainer is coming tomorrow.
- Hide Your Lesbians: Discussed in "Pirate Shipping".Scootaloo: <How do we know Cheerilee's not gay?>
Apple Bloom: No, Scootaloo, this is a kid's show! I mean, I get that they're trying to be accepting of all ponies, and that's good. But I doubt they'll actually put any gay ponies in.
- High-Class Glass: During the song "At the Gala", a rich stallion's monocle pops off his face in reaction to Rarity's verse about visiting Prince Blueblood's sexy torture chamber.
- High School A.U.: Yellow Twilight's new script recasts everyone as students at Ponyville High School.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: In "Bummer in the City", Suri Polomare steals Rarity's completely original cloth and claims she invented it. But Rarity killed babies to make that cloth, so Suri winds up taking the fall for all those murders.
- Hong Kong Dub: Matching the re-dubbed dialogue to lip-flaps from the source material is not high on Wacarb's list of priorities. He also exaggerates and lampshades it a few times.
- In "Now with a Sound Effect", Twilight comments that this is the best lip-synching she's ever seen, without moving her own lips at all.
- In "This One Time at Flight Camp", Derpy says all her lines without ever moving her lips.Derpy: I have obtained the telepathy flag! Behold, my new power to speak without moving my mouth for the next couple of days!
- How We Got Here: "The Longest Recap" opens with Twilight stranded in a starry void with Princess Celestia, and wondering how she got there. Celestia agrees to tell Twilight what happened... but only after she recaps every episode up to that point.Twilight: I didn't miss that! That was season 1! I was there when it happened!
- Hurricane of Excuses: In "Pinkie's Day In":Mrs. Cake: Oh, Pinkie, I'm afraid to ask this, but why do you have two babies in our house?
Pinkie: A stork left them on the doorstop!
Mrs. Cake: No.
Pinkie: They grew from seeds I planted in the ground!
Mrs. Cake: Nope.
Pinkie: It was a Christmas Miracle!
Mrs. Cake: Pinkie...
Pinkie: I might have stolen them from their mum.
Mrs. Cake: Pinkie!
Pinkie: Oh, wait, now, wait, Mrs. Cake, I said "I might have". I didn't say it was actually true.
Mrs. Cake: But it is true.
Pinkie: Theoretically, yes.
- Hurricane of Puns: In The Movie: The Moviening, Spike gets transformed into a dog, and decides to indulge:Spike: Whoa, looks like you had a ruff landing! [...] Ha, you're barking up the wrong tree! I am Spoke. Fleas to meet you! [...] Aw well, you're no fun. Doggone it.
Twilight: And stop with the dog puns!
- Hypocritical Humor:
- In "Now with a Sound Effect", the characters demonstrate Medium Awareness and comment on the improved quality of the recording. Then Twilight remarks that this is the best lip-synching she's ever seen, but the line is spoken over a clip where Twilight isn't moving her mouth at all.
- In "Hippocratic Oafs", the ponies think Trixie is an annoying show-off, so they respond by showing off themselves. "It's okay when we do it!"
- In "Out with the Old Characters", Scootaloo's entrance prompts Diamond Tiara (who's barely intelligible herself) to observe, "Your voice is so stupid! I can't understand a word you're saying!"
- In "Purple Party Pooper", Applebloom is informed by her imaginary friend that Twilight might be crazy.
- In "Time", Twilight realizes that her future self is a huge jerk, but fails to notice that she and Future Twilight have exactly the same personality.Twilight: My future self is an annoying jerk!
Spike: Well, it's good to know time didn't change anything.
- From "How Not to Train Your Dragon":Twilight: Now where did a baby dragon like Spike get the idea that mistreating children was okay?
Rainbow Dash: [snorts] Haha.
Twilight: Shut up, Rainbow.
- In "The Longest Engagement", the others point out that, by accusing Cadance of being evil without any evidence, Twilight is contradicting the moral lesson of the immediately prior episode. Twilight's reply: "I don't care! It's different when it's me and I'm right!"
- In "The Longest Wedding":Chrysalis: Soon, Equestria will bow before their new dictator!
Celestia: No, Equestria would never suffer a tyrant to rule over them! And before any of you start, I am a princess and that makes it different.
- Pinkie Pie names her first clone Pinkie Guy, because "You kinda sound like a dude." Not noticing that they both have exactly the same voice.
- In "Wolfenspike 3D":Spike: It looks more like Celestia's just getting you to do her work for her.
Twilight: Don't be silly, Spike! Celestia would never teach her students to do that. Oh, and by the way, can you go to the Everfree Forest and get me a coriander leaf? I need it for dinner.
- Later the same episode, Spike guesses that there must be some horrible secret in Granny Smith's apple pie. Applejack is offended that he would assume this—"Bugger me, Spike, not everything we do is nefarious!"—before she lets slip that the pies are disguised explosives.
- In "The Longest Recap":Twilight: It's very essential that we teach children the importance of reading books!
Applejack: She said, while being in a TV cartoon, the complete opposite of a book!
- In The Movie: The Moviening:Twilight: [to Fluttershy] You can't just abridge the plot like that! What do you think this is?
- In "Weeds", when Twilight changes Zecora's purple potion into a white one:Zecora: Is purple not good enough for you?
Twilight: No, it wasn't that, It's just that in nature, and art, purple is always the color for poison...
Zecora: It's bullcrap. You're purple!
Twilight: No, I'm more of a very light-ish, reddish shade of blue.
- In "This One Time at Flight Camp":Fluttershy: But what about our magic Rainbow Powers?
Rainbow Dash: There's no such thing as rainbows!
- In "The Wee Free Breezies" after Fluttershy realizes that Rainbow Dash is hallucinating.Fluttershy: Dang, Rainbow Dash. You need to get some mental help or something. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some invisible Scottish fairies to serve alcohol to because I am their god.
- "I Am" Song: Discord's "Penny and Clyde" Song. Played with, since it doesn't really tell us anything about him other than his name, and that everything he says makes absolutely no sense.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The last episode (or episodes in case of Season Two's two-parter) in each season is named "The Longest X". It started with "The Longest Episode" in Season One, which indeed was the longest up to that point, then it stuck.
- Idiot Ball: Twilight fails to realize that Chrysallis is an impostor despite them sounding nothing alike. She apparently assumed the difference in their voices was a result of Cadance's testicles descending. This is lampshaded when Applejack points out that Cadance is a mare and doesn't actually have those.
- I Just Write the Thing: One can only assume that wacarb is being slightly silly:wacarb: dude, I have no idea what I'm doing when I make these, I just sit in front of a microphone a couple hours and say random words out of my mouth, hoping they can somehow make sense. (or as much sense as wanting to make an episode about gelatin swingsets can get)
because of this I can watch my own series and laugh, because every episode is new to me as well.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction:
- In "The Nightmoon Mare Zone":Narrator: The scenario: You're all alone in the woods, surrounded by monsters. I lied about the "alone" part. Sorry. That was rude of me. No excuse for that.
- In "Hell Cheeses Over":Pinkie 2: Nice to meet you, Cheese Sandwich! I think you'll find Ponyville to be a very welcoming place! So what are you here for anyway?
Cheese Sandwich: I'm here to kill demons.
Pinkie 2: Did I say Ponyville was welcoming, because I meant to say super racist!
- In "Film Buff":Sweetie Belle: Ugh, this sucks. Why did we have to come along?
Applebloom: You didn't have to come. In fact, I told you to stay home.
Sweetie Belle: Nobody can tell me what to do!
Applebloom: Shut up!
Sweetie Belle: Okay.
- In "The Nightmoon Mare Zone":
- Implausible Deniability:
- In "The Butts Family", Applejack emphatically denies that she stole Rarity's tree. She claims that the "Rarity" carved into the tree trunk could have been left by a completely different Rarity. The lies just get more absurd from there.
- In "Faith to Faith":Twilight: Maybe because Rainbow Dash peed in the water supply!
Rainbow: Hey, you can't prove that was me!
Twilight: You admitted doing it five minutes ago!
Rainbow: Yeah, but maybe I can't prove that was me?
Twilight: We saw you do it six minutes ago!
Rainbow: Fluttershy told me to do it!
- In "Pirate Shipping":Sweetie Belle: You know, the recipe for this [love potion] looks a lot like the same one they use to make alcohol.
Scootaloo: <Are you sure this is a good idea?>
Apple Bloom: Of course! Why wouldn't it be?
Sweetie Belle: You know, you could almost say it's exactly the same as what they use to make alcohol.
Scootaloo: <I'm still not sure...>
Apple Bloom: Trust me, it will be fine!
Sweetie Belle: It even has "alcohol" written in brackets next to it.
- In "Batshy Crazy", Applejack tries to deny that she's gathered her other friends to kill Batpony Fluttershy. Even as Apple Bloom shows up with her shotgun, announcing that AJ asked her to get it specifically to kill Fluttershy with.
- Imposter Forgot One Detail: In "I Am Pinkie", everyone realizes that Twilight killed the real Pinkie and left a clone, because this Pinkie doesn't even know what Lord of the Rings is.Clone Pinkie: Is that that one where they go through the wardrobe and it's winter everywhere?
- I'm Standing Right Here:Rainbow: Uh, guys, we need to find a nice way of telling Rarity these dresses look like ass.
Rarity: You know I can hear you, right?
Rainbow: Nevermind, guys, I think she already heard me say that the dresses look like ass.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: In "The Pet Games", none of the animals in the competition are up for adoption. Rainbow Dash decides on the spur of the moment that she's taking Rocky the tortoise home with her anyway.
- Informed Attractiveness / Informed Deformity: Since Only Six Faces is in full effect, character dialogue is our only indication that Rarity is smoking hot, Cheerilee is ugly, and Twilight Sparkle is overweight.
- Insane Troll Logic:
- In "Little Miss Montage", as Rarity is designing a dress for Rainbow Dash:Rainbow: I wanna look like my parents.
Rarity: Well, what do they look like?
Rainbow: I dunno? I was dead before they were born.
Rarity: Wait. You were dead before they were born?
Rainbow: Obviously, if they haven't been born yet, then I must still be dead? Duh.
Rarity: That's a... interesting ideology.
Rainbow: Ideology? I'm not Buddhist.
- In "Gelatin Swingsets", the Cutie Mark Crusaders are putting on a show, and decide to play to their strengths:Apple Bloom: Since I'm used to destroying things, I'll make the sets.
Scootaloo: Skeebadoo-bopbalah hebadoobah-skeeballah! [Translation: Since I'm easy to understand, I'll sing!]
Sweetie Belle: Since I was the lead singer in my last band, I'll make the uniforms.
- In "Copywrong", Fluttershy models some of Rarity's dresses:Rarity: I own those clothes. You are wearing my clothes. According to proper logic, I own you, so no running away or anything.
- In "The Cheesen One":Mayor Mare: You can go back to being the Village Idiot now.
Rainbow Dash: But I've only been on vacation for three days!
Mayor Mare: Yes, but light travels faster in a vacuum.
Rainbow Dash: Ooooooh. Yeah, okay, I guess that makes sense.
- In "Saying Words":Fancypants: Oh my, Rarity, what's going on?
Rarity: Don't you talk to me like you know my name!
Fancypants: But your name is Rarity.
Rarity: It is, but it might not have been!
- In "Gossip Girls":Apple Bloom: Hey, Rainbow Dash!
Rainbow Dash: Oh, that's nice. You think just cuz I fly fast and have rainbows for hair, that I'm Rainbow Dash?
Scootaloo: <But you are Rainbow Dash...>
Rainbow Dash: Hey! You can't just go around assuming that I'm Rainbow Dash and putting it in your stupid newspapers. Not cool, guys.
- In "The Longest Engagement":Twilight: That's weird. [The letter] doesn't say who's getting married.
Rarity: Maybe it's Pinkie Pie!
Pinkie Pie: Hooray, it's me!
- When Twilight keeps saying that Shining Armor can't marry Cadance because he's gay, her friends all say that he should have the right to marry whoever he wants, at which Twilight starts shouting that he already has that right, which completely contradicts her argument.
- In "Ponyville Noire":Dick Spiky: I told him, blowing up the train he was on would probably kill him, too. I had to hope to God he'd believe that lie.
- Lampshaded in "The Longest Recap":Twilight: Uh, hello? Is anyone there? Where am I?
Celestia: You know what's stupid, Twilight? You ask if anyone's there, no one answers, so you ask another question! That's pretty dumb, Twilight.
- In "Weeds":Discord: But perhaps this riddle would help instead. "For the weeds to go and the town to be fine / just plant the weed where the sun doesn't shine!"
Twilight: That riddle doesn't make any sense! Wait a minute. Sense! Sight is one of the five senses, and I can see Zecora over there! Of course! Zecora can help us get rid of the weeds.
- In "Survivor: Equestria", Rainbow threatens to form an alliance to vote Applejack off her team, even though they're the only two members. When Applejack points this out, Rainbow asks Applejack to join her alliance to vote... someone else off. Someone named... Apple. When Applejack refuses any part of this idiocy, Rainbow threatens to team up with "Apple" to vote Applejack off.
- In "Rainbow V Daring", Rainbow Dash and Daring Do's conversations are like staring into an abyss.Rainbow: Why are you copying me?
Daring: I'm not copying you! Maybe you're copying me!
Rainbow: Nuh-uh, cuz I'm me!
Daring: Nuh-uh, cuz if you were me, then I'd be me! But I are you, or you are I, if me and I were either I or you.
Rainbow: Yeah, well, according to the quantum laws of hyperballistic metafluids, the reaction pertaining to the heevenblouser would only gerflunge in the space of a drop-second.
Daring: Uh, that would only matter if the dooey-dum and the pettypoo were set in the nowt, in accordance with the theory "Herstnoise for Combecular Diamotrus".
Rainbow: Uh, yeah, it would be, except you forgot to carry the one!
Daring: "Carry the one"? Those are obviously made-up words. You have no idea what you're talking about.
- In "But We're Cousins":Apple Bloom: When I grow up, I'm going to be the small, annoying child!
- In "This One Time at Flight Camp", Rainbow Dash refuses to believe that Fleetfoot is Soarin's daughter, coming up with wild justifications for the fact that Fleetfoot keeps calling him things like "dad" and "father". Eventually it culminates in:Fleetfoot: I'm sure you can do it. Just as sure as I was once a sperm that flew out of your penis and landed in my mother Spitfire's vagina!
Rainbow Dash: Sperm is another word for chocolate, she is made of chocolate, and my father is Santa Claus!
- In the same episode:Derpy: All of the other racers got a sudden disease and were not able to compete!
Fluttershy: They didn't get a disease. You threatened to murder them all!
Derpy: Murder is my favorite disease!
- In "Little Miss Montage", as Rarity is designing a dress for Rainbow Dash:
- Insistent Terminology: In "Gelatin Swingsets", Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo argue several times over the proper shortened form of "gelatin": "jelly" or "jello".
- Instantly Proven Wrong: The Cold Open of "Batshy Crazy" features Applejack planning to kill Fluttershy. When she gets caught in her plans, she tries to deny everything, and gets immediately proven wrong each time.Twilight: And since Fluttershy is our friend, we're going to help her out of this problem, instead of just killing her.
Applejack: Well, of course, Twilight! I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way.
Apple Bloom: Hey, Applejack! I found your shotgun that you said you wanted to murder Fluttershy with, just like you specifically told me!
- Insult to Rocks:
- The stinger for episode 16 has the characters act out a Marx Bros. routine with this:Fluttershy: Maybe you can suggest something. As a matter of fact, you do suggest something. To me, you suggest a baboon.
Fluttershy: I'm sorry I said that, it isn't fair to the rest of the baboons.
- The intro to "Stranger than Fan Fiction":Twilight: They're just a bunch of crybabies who can't handle simple criticism.
Spike: You said their writing was like being stabbed through the anus with a rusty AIDS knife.
Twilight: It was a compliment! Their writing's usually worse.
- "The Hip Hop Happening" uses audio from A Fish Called Wanda for its stinger:Twilight: Don't call me stupid.
Rarity: Oh, right, to call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people!
- The stinger for episode 16 has the characters act out a Marx Bros. routine with this:
- The Internet Is Serious Business: In "Ponynet Fight!", Twilight and Pinkie's argument over Pinkie Sense is transformed into every internet argument about science, ever.Twilight: Spike, get your things ready for a new mission.
Spike: Problem, master?
Twilight: A problem of the worst kind. Someone is wrong on the ponynet!
- Interspecies Romance: As of "Batshy Crazy", Fluttershy and Discord are dating, offscreen. Fluttershy's transformation into a bat was a side effect of them getting intimate.
- I Resemble That Remark!:
- In "Utter Lunacy":Luna: Siiiigh! Sometimes I feel like no one understands me.
Twilight: Hey, Luna, what up?
Twilight: Yeah, sorry, I don't really get that.
Luna: Oh, I knew it!
- In "Faith to Faith":Applejack: Are we just introducing random characters whenever we feel like, now?
[The Flim Flam Brothers appear from nowhere]
Flam: Well a good morning to you, Ponyville!
- In "Time":Future Twilight: Remember, Twilight, how you're always getting cut off, just as you're about to say something really important?
Present Twilight: It's true! I'm always getting—
Future Twilight: I've figured out a way for you to stop it!
Present Twilight: Then, quick, you have to tell me!
Future Twilight: Okay! All you have to do is— [gets yanked back to the future]
- In "Gossip Girls":Diamond Tiara: So listen up and listen good!
Sweetie Belle: What did she say? I wasn't listening.
- In "Top Dumb":Applejack: Twilight, haven't you had enough pies today?
Twilight: I haven't had a pie since brunch!
- In "Discord and Me":Fluttershy: I'm not boring! I'm shy, and I talk to animals.
Twilight: I'm sorry, what'd you say? I wasn't listening.
- In The Movie: The Moviening:Fluttershy: [to Twilight] Please let me be your best friend. Everyone else kinda treats me like mud.
Rarity: Don't touch her, Fluttershy. You'll get her dirty.
- In "Utter Lunacy":
- The Irish Mob: Applejack and her family are the Equestrian equivalent.
- It Will Never Catch On: In "Faith to Faith", Spike predicts that the cast will be watching paint dry sometime in season three. Twilight scoffs at this.
- I Was Born Ready: Pinkie's first clone in "I Am Pinkie" says that she was cloned ready. One transition later, and she decides that she wasn't cloned ready.
- I Was Told There Would Be Cake: But The Cake Is a Lie.
- In "Copywrong":Rarity: Twilight, you're probably wondering why I asked you here today.
Twilight: You said there'd be cake, remember?
Rarity: That was an outright fabrication!
Caption: The cake is a [copyrighted material blocked].
- Similarly, in "Top Dumb", Twilight is angry that a promised pie never shows up. Turns out Rainbow Dash actually promised tiramisu, but she was lying about that.
- In "Copywrong":
- Joke Exhaustion: In "The Longest Engagement", Twilight tells Impostor Cadance to kiss her ass. Then she decides to get creative:Twilight Sparkle: C'mon, get Greek with the cheeks!
Impostor Cadance: The answer is still no.
Twilight: Get hot for the plot!
Twilight: C'mon, let's get some tootie on my cutie-patootie booty! I've got more of those, and I'm not afraid to use them!
- The Ken Burns Effect: Used at the beginning and end of "Time" to make the episode look more like a documentary.
- Killed Off for Real: One of the mane six actually dies and stays dead, with a Replacement Goldfish taking her place: "I am Pinkie" ends with Twilight accidentally killing the real Pinkie Pie, and everyone decides to just pretend the last Pinkie clone is the original. It doesn't get reversed or snapped back at all... but the replacement character has so few lines that you can barely tell the switch happened.
- Kirk Summation: In "Stranger than Fan Fiction", Twilight delivers a speech that actually convinces the villain to do a HeelFace Turn.Twilight Sparkle: You may have sent me away and brought darkness to the land, but there is a light not even water can extinguish! And that is the light of all good things, like... friends! And comrades!
- Lame Comeback:
- In "A Library With No Twilight":Applejack: You're still a complete and total moron.
Rarity: Yeah, well you're... stupid.
Applejack: Oh, that's fantastic.
- In "Rocks, Clocks, and Two Stupid Ponies":Applejack: My hat versus your wings, winner takes all!
Rainbow Dash: Bring it on, Apple... l-loser... jack?
Applejack: Did you want to try that again, maybe?
Rainbow Dash: Nah, just forget I said anything.
- In "The Longest Engagement":Rarity: See, Twilight? She's lovely.
Twilight: More like... poop face.
Rarity: Well done, Twilight. Well done.
Twilight: Shut up. It's been a bad day.
- In "You're Gonna Carry That Flag":Diamond Tiara: We just wanted to make fun of you before you lose. There's no way you're gonna beat us at the flag carrying competition!
Apple Bloom: You don't know that! We might not lose. We might win...
Sweetie Belle: Good comeback, Apple Bloom.
Diamond Tiara: Yeah, well, my dad is richer than your dad!
Sweetie Belle: Yeah, well, my dad can beat off your dad!
Diamond Tiara: That's not how that goes.
Sweetie Belle: I know what I said.
Apple Bloom: Oh, yeah? Well, my dad is dead! Aw, now I'm sad.
- In "A Library With No Twilight":
- Lame Pun Reaction:Dick Hardman: Looks like some of the racers have been caught in the thorns.
Tom Watergate: Looks like they're having no trouble getting the point, don't you think so?
Dick Harman: My lawyer has advised me not to answer that question.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre:
- In "The Penny and Clyde Show".Twilight: Dammit! Why does everything have to be so hard?
Discord: Oh, Twilight, if life was hard it would be full of innuendos. [beat] Like my ostrich pe—
Twilight: So much more information than what I wanted!
- And in "Purple Party Pooper".Celestia: Twilight, you are in a lot of trouble. I want to see you alone, in your bedroom, right now.
Phil the narrator: Oh, yeah...
- And again in "Saying Words". Rarity is wondering aloud about Fancypants's wife, Fleur De Lesbian:Rarity: Something seems a bit off with his wife, too, but I can't quite put my tongue in it...
Phil: [very quietly] Oh, yeah...
Rarity: Shut up, Phil! Whatever you're laughing at...
- "Pirate Shipping":Sweetie Belle: [to Cheerilee] So, you got anyone you're going to spend some quality time with tonight, huh, wink wink nudge nudge, you know what I'm saying, right, I'm implying you're gonna have sex.
- Fluttershy doesn't understand why she's jousting with Rainbow Dash:Fluttershy: That's stupid. Who in their right mind wants to see two girls thrusting into each other?
Phil: Oh, yeah.
- In "The Longest Recap":Twilight: But Celestia, I need to know! Whatever you have to teach me, I am willing to learn. [...] I may be young an inexperienced, but I want you to show me all you have to offer! [...] No matter how big it is, I can take it! [...] Give it to me, Celestia! I can swallow it all!
Celestia: I'm going to remember all those words you said for the rest of my life. But mostly just at night when I'm alone.
- In The Movie: The Moviening:Twilight: It appears my magic has been replaced with fingers.
Spike: That doesn't sound very good. What kind of magic can fingers do?
Twilight: You shut up!
- In "The Penny and Clyde Show".
- Lampshaded the Obscure Reference: "Bummer in the City" ends with a reenactment of Australian history in miniature, with Random Minor Character representing the Aboriginals and Rarity representing the white colonists.
- Last-Second Word Swap:
- In "Utter Lunacy", when Spike is in disguise:Twilight: What is your name, anyway?
Spike: My name be Spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... der.
Twilight: Well, Spider the double dragon...
- In "The Hip Hop Happening," Ms. Tightpussy describes how much she hates Ponyville. Then she asks the mane six where they're from...Twilight: Oh, we're from Pony... ill. Pony-ill.
Ms. Tightpussy: Hm. Never heard of it.
- In "Survivor: Equestria" Rainbow Dash tries to trick Applejack into joining an alliance specifically to get Applejack voted off the show:
- In "Utter Lunacy", when Spike is in disguise:
- Late for School: In "Stranger than Fan Fiction", Twilight accidentally sleeps in, because apparently you can't have a High School A.U. without the protagonist being late for school at the beginning.
- Late to the Punchline: In "Shameless Self Reference", Fluttershy continually fails to understand the other characters' references. At the end, as the other react to Dash's Title Drop, Fluttershy jumps and shouts, "I got the joke! I got the joke!"
- Law of Disproportionate Response: Both Twilight and Nightmoon Mare threaten to kill each other, and neither bats an eye at this. But when Twilight says "I hope you get crabs!" NMM is so shocked she can only respond, "Well, that's kind of a mean thing to say."
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The mayor's speech in episode 100, which is even less subtle than her speech in the original 100th episode, talks about how it's stupid that Cranky and Matilda lasted 100 years instead of someoene better, but it's obviously really about Ultra Fast Pony itself lasting 100 episodes.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again:
- In "Purple Party Pooper", when Twilight and Rarity accidentally use the word "human" in a conversation, they panic before agreeing to just pretend the conversation never happened.
- In "The Cheesen One":Rainbow Dash: Thanks for covering for me while I was gone, Scootaloo.
Scootaloo: <Don't ever mention it. Ever.>
- Life Isn't Fair: Pinkie Pie refuses to use Cranky Doodle Donkey's full name, saying that having "doodle" in his name is offense. Cranky says that that isn't fair since it's the name he was born with, but Pinkie just tells him that life isn't fair.
- Ludicrous Precision: Spoofed.Fluttershy: Look Rainbow Dash, how long have we known each other?
Rainbow Dash: Eight years, forty-seven months, three seconds, a week, twenty-four kilograms, two days and five months. And four years.
Fluttershy: That long, huh?
Rainbow Dash: Yeah. Give or take a few days.
- Luke, I Am Your Father:Spike: You're not my mom.
Twilight: What are you talking about? Of course I am.
Twilight: Yes, Spike, it is true.
- Magic Feather: In "The Longest Recap":Rarity: But then we all learned that the real Crystal Heart was inside us all along.
Twilight: No it wasn't. It was on top of the tower.
- Major Injury Underreaction: In "Forgettershy", Thunderlane is surprisingly articulate for someone who just got maced.Thunderlane: I can't believe you maced me! Why did you mace me?
- Maternal Death? Blame the Child!: It's unclear if Granny Smith actually believes this, or is deliberately invoking it just to give Apple Bloom a guilt complex.Granny Smith: You make a huge difference on this world. [...] Why, if it wasn't for you, your parents would never have committed suicide. [...] You're also the reason why Applejack drinks herself to sleep at night and Big Mac has horrible nightmares.
- Mathematician's Answer: In the stinger from "Sister Angst", Rarity realizes that her parents still haven't left her kitchen:Rarity: What are you two still doing here?
Rarity's dad: Sitting down?
Rarity: Get out of my house.
- Men Don't Cry: In "How Not to Train Your Dragon":Spike: I wonder if dragons cry...
Twilight: Only little pussies cry, Spike! Don't be a pussy, be a stallion!
Spike: But I'm a dragon.
Twilight: I said be a stallion!
- Meanwhile, Back at the : Parodied. The very first words in the series are the narrator's "Meanwhile, in Equestria. Oh yeah..." Then the second episode opens with, "Meanwhile, in the previous episode..."
- Medium Blending: "Stranger than Fan Fiction" incorporates live-action footage, as Yellow Twilight is portrayed by an actual MLP figurine.
- Metaphorgotten: In "Ponynet Fight": "Trolling is like a fat chick bungee jumping and the rope breaks and she falls in the river below, causing a humongous splash... Sorry, I forgot where I was going with that. I got distracted imagining a fat chick bungee jumping."
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: When Twilight ventures into the human world, she inexplicably starts wanting a boyfriend. Everyone is freaked out by this. She guesses it's a side-effect of suddenly being in a human body.
- Minsky Pickup: In "The Penny and Clyde Show", Rarity provides one to kick of Discord's song.
- Misery Poker: As everyone laments how badly their trip to the Gala has gone:Applejack: No, seriously, screw their minor problems! Why isn't anyone buying from me? This is my livelihood we're talking about!
- Missing Steps Plan: In "Discord and Me":Fluttershy: Don't worry, I've got a plan!
Twilight: That's great!
Fluttershy: I am gonna reform Discord.
Twilight: And how do you plan on doing that, exactly?
Fluttershy: Oh, uh... I don't know! I didn't really think of that.
Twilight: You're going to fail, aren't you?
- Missing Trailer Scene:
- The one part of the season 2 trailer that looked like it might have been an actual episode scene—a bit from "Lesson Zero", with Twilight's dialogue changed to "I'm just so full of all the emotions!"—didn't appear in the episode itself. Quoth Wacarb: "the trailer is its own thing really."
- It comes full circle in "The Longest Recap"—when it comes time to recap "Purple Party Pooper":Twilight: I'm just so full of all of the emotions! There! We finally used that line from the season 2 trailer! Are you happy now? Can we finally shut up about it?!
- Mistaken Confession: In "Purple Party Pooper", it looks like Twilight is in trouble with Celestia, and she threatens to take the other ponies down with her. The others confront Celestia to defend Twilight, or defend themselves, or beg for mercy, or bribe Celestia. Only after indirectly incriminating themselves do they realize that Celestia was just looking for someone to celebrate her birthday with.
- Mistaken for Dying:Twilight: Spike! I need you to... holy crap!
[Spike is lying on the ground, apparently in pain.]
Spike: I'm scared, master. Will I dream?
Twilight: No, Spike, you can't die! I won't let you!
Spike: Who said anything about dying? I'm going to sleep.
- Mixed Metaphor: All over "Ponyville Noire":Dick Spiky: Yet another puzzle piece to add to this crossword puzzle. But I still had an ace up my sleeve. And now wasn't the time for games!
Dick Spiky: This guy is a tough nut to peel.
Dick Spiky: ...But that cold-blooded snake had trapped me in his spider's web.
Dick Spiky: I told him not to do it, and he said he might. But I would have to play his little game first. I gritted my tongue and said I'd play. But now wasn't the time for games!
- Montages: Many. Rarity seems to be an expert at these.
- Lamphaded in "Winning": "Montages... for when I'm too lazy to write anything."
- Then defied in "Saying Words":Rarity: Oh, Opalescence, today has not been my day. Why, not even a montage would cheer me up.
[The intro of "Becoming Popular" plays.]
Rarity: Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hey, hey stop the music! What are you doing? I told you a montage wouldn't work!
- In "All A Boot Shy", Fluttershy demonstrates that she's no longer a doormat by stealing one of Rarity's montages.
- Mood Whiplash:
- UFP uses, as its theme music, the "frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeends!" clip from the end of the official Friendship Is Magic opening theme. Many episodes derive humor from the abrupt transition between the cold open and this theme music.Twilight: Rainbow Dash, apologize!
Rainbow Dash: No!
Theme music: Frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeends!
- "Granny Smith Is Mean" has dramatic, swelling music as the magic trees bloom and bear beautiful fruit in quick succession. Then...Applejack: Damn it all, I wanted bananas!
- UFP uses, as its theme music, the "frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeends!" clip from the end of the official Friendship Is Magic opening theme. Many episodes derive humor from the abrupt transition between the cold open and this theme music.
- Morton's Fork: In "Winning":Apple Bloom: You do what I say, or I'll tell the police you tried to sell me drugs!
Zecora: That ain't true!
Apple Bloom: I know. But who are they going to believe, a pony or a zebra?
Zecora: What do you want?!
Apple Bloom: I need drugs!
Zecora: Apple Bloom, you sicken me!
- The Movie: UFP The Movie: The Moviening, a UFPed Equestria Girls.
- Mundane Solution: In "The Longest Recap":Twilight: Applejack, this isn't like you! You have to remember the good times!
Applejack: Yeah, alright.
Twilight: What, seriously?
Applejack: Well yeah, it seems simple enough.
Twilight: But I had a magic spell all ready and everything!
Applejack: It's memory, Twilight! It doesn't need magic!
- Mushroom Samba:
- Philomena accidentally gets dosed with some of Fluttershy's acid, and the ensuing chase is her drug-induced freakout.
- Fluttershy's non-reaction to Discord's wave of chaos implies that she spends most of her waking hours tripping balls.
- Lack of sleep and too much coffee makes Cadance hallucinate and scream randomly.
- Musical Episode: "The Hip Hop Happening", where everyone raps the majority of the episode.
- Must Have Caffeine: In "Smoky and the Crystals", Cadance has been eating coffee so she can stay awake longer. Not drinking coffee, eating it.Cadance: Drinking it makes me have to pee.
Twilight: That doesn't sound healthy.
Cadance: Oh, you sound just like my doctor!
- My Friends... and Zoidberg:
- In "Little Miss Montage":Applejack: You're just making dresses for all your friends, then.
Rarity: That's right.
Applejack: How in blaze are you going to make five dresses?
Rarity: And Fluttershy.
Applejack: Six dresses.
- In "The Best Episode Ever":Spike: Once upon a time, the world was quite bad. Unicorns and pegasus and the other ones were all separate from each other.
- Inverted in "So Random":Pinkie: I don't understand, Twilight, everyone wants to be my friend!
Twilight: I don't want to be your friend.
Pinkie: I mean everyone who matters.
- In "Little Miss Montage":
- Name One:Twilight: Oh, come on, Fluttershy. Name one time we've been mean to you!
Fluttershy: All of the time!
Twilight: Name a time apart from that!
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Wee Dan's real name is Daniel Killmurderer.
- Nested Story Reveal: The episode "The Butts Family" turns out to just be a "scary" story told by Pinkie.
- Never Found the Body: Daring Do's fate in "Rainbow V Daring".Rainbow Dash: I mean, she died off-camera, but she's totally probably maybe dead.
- Never Going Back to Prison:
- In "Purple Party Pooper", Twilight threatens to rat everyone out. Fluttershy panics and says that she can't go back to jail.
- In "Making Babies", Sweetie Belle says "I can't go back to prison! They don't have any soap, it's friggin' unhygenic!"
- Never Heard That One Before:
- In "The Pet Games", when the Duck is introduced, his subtitle reads "Has Heard All The Jokes Before".
- In "For Glorious Mother Equestria", Twilight greets the doctor with "Doctor, doctor, give me the news!" He's not amused.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands:
- Since the abridging process cut out all the foreshadowing about the Elements of Harmony...Twilight: Vaguely established magical friend powers, activate!
Nightmoon Mare: What the heck is that?
Twilight: It's a plot hole. Deal with it!
- In "Faith to Faith":Flam: I just remembered he has the power to make cider! He can totally do that.
Applejack: You're making this up as you go along!
- In "The Longest Wedding":Twilight: Quick, Cadance, you need to use your vaguely-established magical powers!
Cadance: The Power of Love will fill all plot holes!
- Since the abridging process cut out all the foreshadowing about the Elements of Harmony...
- New Rules as the Plot Demands: In "Survivor: Equestria", Twilight's team discovers the victory treasure... then they discover that the episode is a reverse competition: "Whoever wins, actually loses." And then:Jeff Probst: Welcome to Tribal Council. We brought you all here together, because we suddenly changed the rules right at the very end, and you're all doing one big group elimination. Twilight, your team thought they had won, but then found out they had lost. Well, I'm here to tell you... you actually won! It was another twist within a twist.
- No Animals Were Harmed: The ending of "Chickens! Run!" states "No animals were harmed during the making of this episode. Except for the chickens, of course. They suffered the most horrific of pains."
- Nobody Poops: In "The Longest Recap":Twilight: That's Owlowiscous, he's gonna help me out at night time. ... And he's also gonna help out during the day.
Spike: How does he stay awake that long?
Twilight: Spike, none of us have ever even taken a crap on this show. Who cares how he stays awake?
- No Communities Were Harmed: The final round of The Pet Games is held in the Gand Canyon, one of the most scenic locations in the Untitled Stats of Amrica.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: In episode 2, Twilight doesn't get rewarded for saving the world from the apocalypse; she gets punished for missing a tea party while she was saving the world. Her sentence is banishment to Ponyville.
- Noir Episode: "Ponyville Noire". The whole thing, including the opening and closing credits, is Deliberately Monochrome, with Spike delivering a Private Eye Monologue the entire time.
- Non Sequitur, *Thud*: After Celestia loses her laser beam fight with Chrysalis:Twilight: Princess Celestia!
Celestia: Santa Claus, is that you?
- Noodle Implements:
- From "Granny Smith Is Mean":Granny Smith: Go and get me some bricks, duct tape, a hacksaw, and some party balloons. There's some orphans I want to play a prank on.
- In "The Longest Engagement", Cheerilee and Big Mac get up to something mind-boggingly kinky involving pie, at least five midgets, a full mariachi band, a lion skin...
- From "Granny Smith Is Mean":
- Noodle Incident:
- Rarity needs Fluttershy to model for her. We're privy to the very beginning and very end of Rarity's explanation why: it's apparently a very convoluted tale involving a handicap access ramp, an off-color nectarine, and a wager about the color of the sky.
- Rarity does it again in "A Sombra Affair": "...Anyway, that's the story of the fourth time I lost my virginity. Anyone else wanna share their story?"
- Not Cheating Unless You Get Caught:
- In "Purple Party Pooper," Rarity tries to invoke this. "What I do would be perfectly legal if no one knew about it!"
- Similarly, in "Winning":Applejack: Applebloom, I am disgusted! Winners never get caught taking drugs.
Twilight: Something seems a little off in the morals, there.
- In "All A Boot Shy", Fluttershy says, "Aw, hell no, you can't make me! I didn't steal nothin' that you know about!"
- In "Batshy Crazy", Twilight invokes this to explain why murder's only wrong when she's not doing it
- No, You:
- UFP 10: One Joke To Rule Them AllRarity: Shove off, Pinky.
Pinkie: No, you shove off! This is my house!
Rarity: No it's not, it's mine!
Pinkie: It is? Oh, balls, I think I had too much chocolate again.
- UFP 24: Edgar Allan PoenSpike: Twilight said my plan was stupid/I responded "No, you're stupid!"
- UFP 26: The Longest EpisodeBlueblood: I believe that goes against... several, safety regulations!
Rarity: Shut up.
Blueblood: No! ... You!
- UFP 30: Utter LunacyHeckler: Get off the stage!
Mayor Mare: No, you get off the stage! Actually, I do have to get off the stage, but not because of anything you said!
- UFP 35: Saying WordsApplejack: Well eat spinach gravy and build me a train set, let's get going!
Rarity: You don't even know what that means, Applejack!
Applejack: No, you shut up, you don't know what it means!
- UFP 37: The Best Episode EverRainbow Dash: Well, you smell like farts!
Rarity: No, you smell like farts!
- UFP 49: Gossip Girls:Sweetie Belle: The Orb is stupid.
The Orb: The Orb is not stupid! It is thou who art stupid!
Apple Bloom: Shut up!
The Orb: Nay! It is thou who should shut up! And don't enter me, the Orb!
- UFP 52: The Longest WeddingCelestia: And so, we are gathered here in the middle of the day, because the nighttime sucks...
Luna: No, you suck!
- And in the same episode:Twilight: That's stupid! You're stupid!
Chrysalis: No, you!
Twilight: No, you!
Chrysalis: No, you!
Twilight: No, you!
Celestia: (at Twilight) No, you!
- UFP 56: Join The Club:Diamond Tiara: Well, well, well, if it isn't three buttholes in the ground!
Applebloom: No, your hole is a butt in the ground!
- UFP 65: The Longest Recap:Rarity: So what do you think of these dresses?
Rainbow Dash: I think they suck.
Rarity: No, you suck!
- UFP The Movie: The Moviening:Sunset Shimmer: I should have known it was you.
Twilight: [gasps] You!
Sunset: No, you!
Twilight: Dammit, she's good at this.
- UFP 10: One Joke To Rule Them All
- N-Word Privileges:Dragon: What's a pegger like you doing out of the fields?
Fluttershy: Oh, hell no! You can't say that word! Only pegasus can say that word!
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: Apparently happened off-screen in "How Not to Train Your Dragon":Twilight: Fine! I'll help you find out about dragons. Will you shut up about it already?
Spike: But I didn't say anything.
- Oblivious Mockery:
- In "Winning":["Riverdance" is playing]
Applejack: Who is making that awful music?
Apple Bloom: I think the Irish did.
Applejack: Who is making that beautiful music?
- In "Pirate Shipping":Sweetie Belle: Is it because everyone thinks you're ugly?
Cheerilee: Everyone thinks I'm ugly?
Sweetie Belle: Well, they're not saying it to your face, that's for certain.
Cheerilee: Oh-oh, I-I didn't know that. Excuse me, please, I have to go cry in the corner for a moment.
Sweetie Belle: Okay, have fun. Uuugh, why is she always crying in the corner?
- In "Winning":
- Ocular Gushers: In "Funk Master Z", the mane six bathe in a pool filled with tears. Rainbow Dash filled this pool all by herself.Rainbow: All I had to do was remember a time when my parents were still alive, and it just came gushing out!
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome:
- In "Ponynet Fight!", the characters' escape from the hydra is skipped over with a "14 hours later..." card.
- In "How to Control Freaks", Twilight breaks the mind-control over four of her friends on-screen, but Rainbow Dash is skipped over. It's lampshaded with a caption reading, "Rainbow Dash normalized off-screen."
- In "Time":Narrator: They also had an epic fight with a three-headed dog, and broke into Canterlot. But sadly, there was no time to see that.
- In "Forgettershy:'''Rainbow Dash: Okay, I did it! And it was awesome! Did you all see it?
Spitfire: No, we had to do the intro.
Rainbow Dash: You mean nobody saw me make the tornado, and fight off an army of dragons, and cure cancer, and fall in love?
Spitfire: No, but I'm sure it was amazing.
- In "The Longest Wedding": "Fluttershy's picture of her juggling chainsaws was unfortunately lost."
- In "Top Dumb", Rainbow Dash rescues her friends from falling to their death (without any help from the rest of the Flight Team, even) but all we see is a "Mind Blowing Footage Missing" card.
- Again in "Wolfenspike 3D", where the footage of Applejack killing the timberwolves goes missing.Applejack: Wow. We are literally so lazy, we can't even be bothered to do a montage anymore. That's kind of sad.
- Offscreen Teleportation: In "The Longest Engagement":Twilight: Oh, Princess Cadance who's suddenly in the throne room with me even though we saw you leave a few moments ago...
- Oh My Gods!:
- Rainbow Dash's default exclamation is "OMC!" (Oh my Celestia.)
- From "Mob Wars":Applejack: I swear to god... Do we even have gods in Equestria? But I swear...
- Fluttershy uses the names of black celebrities as expletives.
- In "The Longest Engagement", Celestia exclaims "Oh my me!"
- Oh, No... Not Again!:
- In "Hippocratic Oafs": "Celestia says she doesn't want to lose another entire town to bear attacks this week..."
- Rainbow Dash's reaction to the parasprites trying to kill her.
- In "Out with the Old Characters", Diamond Tiara's reaction to being informed her mother's preparing for an orgy with 30 stallions.
- As the time portal opens, Twilight mutters, "Oh, please don't be the Illuminati again."
- In "I Am Pinkie", Pinkie wants Applejack to burn down the palace in Canterlot. AJ's first response is, "Again?"
- In "Wolfenspike 3D", when Spike decides Applejack is his new mother, Twilight's reaction is, "I won't let this stand, I can't lose another child!"
- One-Person Birthday Party: In "Purple Party Pooper", Twilight's downward spiral is kicked off when she discovers that none of her friends will make it to her birthday party.
- One Steve Limit: Twilight, Blue Twilight, and Yellow Twilight say Hi.
- On Second Thought:
- The Cakes are looking for a pony to take care of the babies Pinkie Pie kidnapped while they look for their parents. Their first stop is Fluttershy.Fluttershy: Well, I'd love to look after these babies! I'll just need to give them a rabies shot.
Mrs. Cake: To protect them from rabies?
Fluttershy: Protect 'em?
Mrs.Cake: On second thought, maybe Fluttershy's not the best choice.
- In "The Wee Free Breezies"Fluttershy: Why I'd love to help you get out of my house. What do I need to do?
Breezie: We just need you to flap your wings and create the breeze for us to get through
Fluttershy: You need me to create wind, huh? Is there any other way that doesn't lead to an inevitable fart joke?
Breezie: We could always sacrifice you and eat your internal organs.
Fluttershy: On second thought, silent but deadly seems like the way to go.
- The Cakes are looking for a pony to take care of the babies Pinkie Pie kidnapped while they look for their parents. Their first stop is Fluttershy.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: In "Utter Lunacy", while faking a Jamaican accent for a Paper-Thin Disguise, Spike almost gives himself away when he accidentally lapses back into his original accent.
- Open Secret:
- Rarity is pretty bad at hiding the kinky stuff she's into.Pinkie: Yeah, okay, there is no way what Rarity does is still a secret.
- Even though everyone and their grandma commented on Fluttershy's shyness in season one, in "All A Boot Shy", Fluttershy acts as though her shyness is some painful secret.[While attending Iron Will's shyness seminar:]
Iron Will: Now, I understand you have a boot of problem?
Fluttershy: Yeah, but it's a secret.
Iron Will: You're shy, aren't you?
Fluttershy: [gasps] He's a mind reader!
- In "Gossip Girls":Big Mac: You told everybody I was a pirate!
Applebloom: But you are a pirate!
Big Mac: Yeearr, but it was supposed to be a secret!
- Rarity is pretty bad at hiding the kinky stuff she's into.
- Opinion Flip Flop:Celestia: Ugh, parties. I hate parties.
Twilight: I know, right? It's like, who invented parties?
Celestia: I did.
Twilight: It's almost like they're too perfect of an invention
Celestia: Nice save.
- Opposite Day: In "Discord and Me":Discord: Shaking their heads like that means "No!"
Fluttershy: But today's Opposite Day!
Discord: No, it's not!
- Ordered Apology:
- Fluttersay takes great offense at being called a "pegger" by a dragon, and she orders him to apologize. He does.
- At the beginning of "Little Miss Montage", Twilight bets that she can get Rainbow to apologize for trashing the house. She tells Rainbow to apologize, and Rainbow refuses.
- Orphanage of Fear: Rainbow Dash has lot of experience with different orphanages. Mostly bad. As she says in "Shameless Self Reference":Rainbow Dash: Anyway, this is the seventh orphanage I got kicked out of. I think it was my third longest-running orphanage. [...] Aw, coming back here, so many good memories. I mean, there's a lot more bad memories, but there's a few good memories, too.
- Orphaned Punchline:Rarity: ...and that's where the term "gold digger" came from.
Spike: I don't understand that, either.
- Our Demons Are Different: Pinkie Pie 2 is virtually identical to the first Pinkie Pie, except that she can summon additional demons, at the rate of one every few months. Maud grants 'promises' in exchange for blood, has to consult with a rock to use her powers, and refuses to kill
- Out of Focus: Lampshaded.
- Twilight briefly meets Apple Bloom in episode 1. Apple Bloom returns in episode 9:Twilight: Whoa whoa whoa whoa! Who are you?
Apple Bloom: It's me, Apple Bloom.
Apple Bloom: You met me in episode one!
Apple Bloom: I'm Applejack's sister!
Applejack: I'm Applejack, you daft ninny!
- After Zecora's brief scene in "One Joke to Rule Them All", there's a caption "And we'll never see Zecora again... A fate worse than Luna."
- In "The Longest Episode", most of Fluttershy's subplot is cut because, by Fluttershy's own admission, it's not very interesting.
- In "Utter Lunacy", Ponyville organizes a celebration in Zecora's honor, to make up for her lack of screen time last season. Spike points out that Luna was similarly neglected, and Luna immediately crashes the party.
- Subverted in "Sister Angst". Rarity is thankful that "At least Twilight's not in this episode, stealing my screen time," at which point Twilight shouts a reply from just off-screen. For the rest of the episode, Twilight stays just off-screen, shouting things at Rarity at awkward moments.
- In "Faith to Faith":Twilight: That's bullcrap! Princess Celestia is the only true alicorn!
Spike: What about Princess Luna?
Twilight: Princess who of the what now?
- In "C.S.Pie", the mane six are listed by their names (and a number of parody names) in the opening credits... except Applejack, who is just listed as "Supporting Actress".
- In "The Longest Engagement", Twilight accuses Applejack of stealing her screen time. And Fluttershy, again, has her entire subplot cut from the episode.
- At the end of "Join the Club", Sweetie Belle addresses Babs Seed:Sweetie Belle: Now, you are going home, and we won't see you again, making this whole thing pointless.
- In "Discord and Me":Clone Pinkie: Hey, how come I was introduced at the start of the season and haven't had a line since then?
- In "The Longest Recap":Twilight: Zecora, you've been cut from the rest of the season. Apparently you're too offensive.
- Later the same episode, Clone Pinkie tries to steal some of Original Pinkie's scenes. "If I don't get any proper character development, I'm gonna curse all of you!"
- Twilight briefly meets Apple Bloom in episode 1. Apple Bloom returns in episode 9:
- Out-of-Genre Experience:
- "Edgar Allen Poen". No funny voices, no Alternate Character Interpretation, no jabs at the fandom; just the episode "Owl's Well That Ends Well" retold in the style of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven".
- "Stay Tuned" uproots Pinkie Pie and plunks her into a Cop Show parody.
- "Pet Games" is stylized to be an in-universe sports transmission, with two off-screen commentators providing most of the dialogue and Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle being judges in the competitions.
- "For Glorious Mother Equestria!" is an in-universe political propaganda film. Or at least it would be, if more people did what the narrator told them to do.
- "Pinkie's Day In" briefly turns into a sitcom, with a Laugh Track and Seinfeld-esque transitional music.
- "Time" is formatted like a documentary. It opens and closes with a narrator talking over still images, and interviews with "experts" break up the action in the middle.
- "C.S.Pie" replaces the usual introduction with an extended credits sequence that parodies the opening credits of CSI: Miami.
- "Stranger than Fan Fiction" has an Ascended Fangirl writing the episode's script, warping the show's universe to accommodate her Author Avatar.
- "The Nightmoon Mare Zone" replaces the intro with a parody of The Twilight Zone (1959)'s famous opening.
- "Ponyville Noir". Even aside from it being a film noir parody, there are a lot of differences. Instead of animated clips, it's a slide show with Spike's monologue as the only voiceover. The characters all have different names (Spike is now Dick Spiky, Fluttershy is now Roxine, and so on). And the humor is more absurdly nonsensical than usual, akin to Wacarb's other series, "Kevin Sees the World".
- "The Hip Hop Happening" is an all-rap Musical Episode.
- "Survivor Equestria" is a Survivor parody.
- "Saturday Morning Ponies" is set up like an episode of Power Ponies, in the vein of late-80s or early-90s action cartoons like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)—complete with different theme music and effects to make it look like a VHS recording.
- Overly Long Gag:
- In UFP The Movie: The Moviening, Twilight wheezes for about thirty seconds after trying to chase Sunset Shimmer. Since the "14 Hours Later" time card pops up before she finishes, she could have been wheezing for fourteen hours.
- In "This One Time at Flight Camp", Rainbow Dash patiently waits for Spitfire to come back for her. For 14 hours. And then another 14 hours. And then another 14 hours.
- In "The Longest What Now?" when Celestia is explaining how Tirek grows stronger as they speak and Twilight needs to get going now.
- Overly Long Name: Rarity, Fluttershy, and Angel's team in "Survivor: Equestria'' is named Team Apitikitangawallawallabeendurgalagaalarmisalamisamichameedlebutuchawitchapantsoff. Lampshaded by the narrator:Jeff Probst: And lastly, Team Apitikitangawallawallabeendurgalagaalarmisalamisamichameedlebutuchawitchapantsoff has made their first progress in six weeks, after finally learning how to pronounce their name.
- Overly Preprepared Gag: "Shameless Self Reference", episode number 16, ends with Rainbow Dash claiming to be an "Ultra Fast Pony". The end credits then claim that Wacarb created the entire series for the sole purpose of making that joke.
- Lampshaded in "Granny Smith Is Mean":Apple Bloom: Why do we even have these trees, anyway?
Applejack: It's a short episode. We need to fill in the time somehow.
- And in The Movie: The Moviening:Cadance: Wait, Twilight, don't go yet!
Twilight: What is it now?
Cadance: We haven't finished padding out this intro scene long enough!
- Slightly later:Twilight: Wait, so what was the point of this scene?
Principle Luna: Oh, we're just filling in time towards the prom.
Twilight: Well, why not just skip to the prom now?
Principle Luna: Because I wanted to be in a scene! In fact, I demand more lines!
- Lampshaded in "Granny Smith Is Mean":
- Painful Rhyme: In "Edgar Allen Poen", most of the lines end with a rhyme for "who". However, Spike forces "here we go" into this scheme by mispronouncing it as "here we goo". He visibly cringes as he reads this part aloud.
- Pandering to the Base: Referenced by Twilight in "The Best Episode Ever".Fluttershy: So why do we have to do this?
Twilight: Well, according to the fans of the show, we need to have more "smoking hot thespian action". [...] As long as we give the fans everything we think that they want, I'm sure this will be the best episode ever.
- Paper-Thin Disguise:
- In "Utter Lunacy", Spike disguises himself with a new accent and a dragon costume that doesn't even cover his face. When questioned, he uses the least subtle Last-Second Word Swap, ever, to avoid giving his real name. Twilight, the person who knows Spike best, completely falls for it.
- In The Movie: The Moviening, Spike transforms into a dog in the human world, so he changes his voice and tries to pass himself off as "Spoke, the dog". This time, Twilight sees right through it.
- Parody Product Placement:
- In "The Pet Games", Tom and Dick take a break to shill their sponsor.Tom Watergate: Now introducing Extreme Friendship! The great new taste, in glorious yellow.
- In "Time", Pinkie Pie mentions doughnuts in all of her explanations of how time works.Pinkie: Hey, you wanna go get something to eat, bro? I'm starving.
Twilight: Yeah, okay. For some reason, I really want a doughnut.
Pinkie: Yeah, that's right you do, bro.
- In "The Pet Games", Tom and Dick take a break to shill their sponsor.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: In "The Pet Games":Rainbow Dash: So, like, winning is good. And losing... is kind of like the opposite of good. I should come up with a word for that. I'll call it... jfragrstl. So you don't wanna jfragrstl. That's not good.
- Persecution Flip:
- Fluttershy—a former slave—is angry that slavery was abolished before she could get her turn to hold the whip.Fluttershy: Oh, I get it. It's okay to have Fluttershy do everything her owners say. But as soon as she gains ownership of her own farm, suddenly it's all "Equal rights" and "Slavery is not okay anymore!" In the name of the black smoke in the sky, I demand reparations!
- In "The Longest Engagement", Twilight insists that her brother is gay, so he ought to marry a stallion instead of a mare. Her friends all disagree with her: they're all in favor of gay ponies' right to marry the opposite sex.Twilight: Wait, I think we've hit some kind of reverse homophobia here.
- Fluttershy—a former slave—is angry that slavery was abolished before she could get her turn to hold the whip.
- Please Subscribe to Our Channel: Parodied in "Little Miss Montage".Twilight: Rarity, this isn't Youtube. You can't just ask us to look at something and chuck a hissy fit if we don't like it.
Hoity Toity: Well, [those dresses] are quite fabulous! You have my approval.
Rarity: Wait, wait, wait. That's it?
Hoity Toity: Yes...
Rarity: You just "like" them?
Hoity Toity: Indeed.
Rarity: Not gonna... "favourite" or anything?
Caption: HINT HINT!
Hoity Toity: No... just the "like".
Rarity: Well, that sucks.
Caption: Every time you like something without adding to favourites, a baby penguin dies. Think of the penguins; like AND favourite. Also subscribe or a piano falls on a baby giraffe.
- Plot Hole: Lampshaded.
- Episode 2 is named "Fillen' Dem Plot Holes, Bro!", and Twilight spends the entire Cold Open explaining plot points that should have been covered in the previous episode but weren't.
- "Purple Party Pooper":Applejack: Wow, Twilight, you're looking awfully nice. Especially after the last episode, Celestia supposedly cut your horn off.
Twilight: Really? You're complaining? You, out of everyone here, is complaining about continuity?
- "For Glorious Mother Equestria!":Narrator: But then the next day, the dragon was suddenly big!
Twilight: Whoa, whoa, hang on there a second. I think we maybe missed a teeny tiny little bit of all of the backstory.
Caption: Nothing new here...
- "A Sombra Affair":Rainbow Dash: Wait, what was that all about what now?
Twilight: It's just all the plot points we missed from last episode. It doesn't matter!
- In "Copywrong", Pinkie Pie claims that she wrote The Lord of the Rings. In "The Longest Episode", Pinkie discovers for the first time that LOTR was a book series before it was a movie series. She explains the apparent contradiction in "Time": she was claiming that she wrote the screenplays.
- In "Forgettershy":Twilight: All will obey the will of Celestia!
Thunderlane: But you hate Celestia!
Twilight: That's it. More mace.
- In "The Longest Wedding", Twilight initially claims that her and Cadance's escape from the cave was just a plot hole, but Chrysalis demands an explanation anyway. Twilight admits that they just walked out.
- In "Top Dumb", Rainbow Dash is still illiterate, but everyone just overlooks this fact when the plot calls for Rainbow Dash to read some important information. Everyone except Twilight.Rainbow Dash: I still can't read. But in order to advance the plot, [the letter] says I've been accepted into the Moderately Effective Flight Team.
Twilight: Hang on a second, you can't just go over important parts of the story to advance the plot like that!
Rainbow: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can.
- In "Wolfenspike 3D", Applejack wonders why Spike is such a klutz when he tries to help her, yet so competent when he's helping Twilight. Twilight says there's a very good reason for this... but she's feeling too lazy to explain it.
- In The Movie: The Moviening, Twilight wonders how Sunset Shimmer could possibly get elected Prom Queen, since she is Hated by All. No one has an answer. Pinkie's best guess is "This movie sucks balls!"
- Plug 'n' Play Friends:
- In The Movie: The Moviening:Twilight: Wait, how are we best friends? We spent less than a minute talking to each other. Oh, hang on, is this we're showing the audience how easy it is to make friends if they just go out and try?
Pinkie: Bro, we are all perfectly thin, hot chicks in mini-skirts, with the most G-rated boobs you could get. Do you really think this movie offers realistic expectations for others?
- Then at the end, as Twilight leaves, she insists Sunset Shimmer can be their new friend in her place.
- In The Movie: The Moviening:
- Poor Communication Kills: In "The Longest Wedding", Twilight sees "Princess Cadance" casting a very suspicious spell on her brother. When she publicly confronts Cadance about this, in front of Celestia and her friends, she just says, "You better believe I have proof! I saw her be evil and things!" and offers no further elaboration. Naturally, no one believes her.
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis Failure:
- In "The David Bowie Drinking Game", Twilight tries to correct her friends' sayings, without realizing that they're actually making David Bowie references.Rarity: Well, look back in anger, I say.
Twilight: Oh, Rarity! It's "don't look back in anger."
Rarity: Twilight, you don't know who David Bowie is, do you?
Twilight: Yeah, I had no idea what's going on this episode.
- In "C.S.Pie", she understands that one needs to make a witty quip followed by a "YEAHHHH!" in a CSI parody, but doesn't get that the quip needs to be a pun, nor that the "YEAHHHH!" must be the one from "Won't Get Fooled Again".
- Pinkie is a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies. Somehow, she's completely unaware of the books those movies were based on.
- Pinkie Pie's replacement doesn't know anything about LOTR, leading to this exchange in "But We're Cousins":
- In "The David Bowie Drinking Game", Twilight tries to correct her friends' sayings, without realizing that they're actually making David Bowie references.
- The Power of Friendship: The literal interpretation of the "friendship is magic" concept gets mocked on occasion.
- From "The Longest Episode": "Twilight eventually learned friendship wasn't magic... it turned out magic was actually magic."
- From "Granny Smith Is Mean:"Apple Bloom: Well, isn't friendship magic?
Applejack: I don't know. Do you have friends?
Apple Bloom: Yeah...
Applejack: Are you magic?
Apple Bloom: No...
Applejack: Well, there you go then!
- In "The Longest Wedding", DJ 3-Pones encourages Cadance to invoke the Power of Friendship against Chrysalis. Cadance shouts "Aha! Take that!" and does literally nothing else. It's just as effective as it sounds.
- The Power of Love: In "The Longest Wedding", Cadance and Shining Armor use this to bring The Orb back from the dead, defeating Chrysalis in the process. Also, it fills plot holes.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner:
- In "How to Control Freaks":Twilight: Hey Discord! Suck it! [fires the magic friendship laser]
- From "How Not to Train Your Dragon":Twilight: [to the dragons] Yeah, so lay off or I'll punch you or something!
Rarity: Twilight, you're new to this. Let me try. [to the dragons] I'm gonna put my hoof so far up your ass, your heart's gonna make a clopping sound every time it beats!
- In "How to Control Freaks":
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: In "Wolfenspike 3D", just before Spike kills the giant German timberwolf with a single rock:Spike: When you get to heaven, tell the Führer I sent you!
- Previously On : Parodied on "Stay Tuned", where the "Previously On..." montage is several times longer than the episode itself.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: As of season 4, the opening titles use the updated cast picture, with more ponies joining the mane six. And Wacarb edited his ponysona into the background of this picture.
- Puff of Logic: While she didn't actually disappear, Discord still managed to defeat Rainbow Dash with this.Discord: Rainbow Dash, you are never going to believe it!
Rainbow Dash: Like, no! I can't believe it! Oh, this is so bad, I'm gonna fly away.
- Quip to Black: "C.S.Pie" uses this, as a parody of CSI: Miami:[Someone has taken a huge bite from Pinkie's cake.]
Pinkie: Looks like we've got a crime on our hooves. In fact, I bet you could say this mystery food thief...
Twilight: Please don't.
Pinkie: ...takes the cake.
- Later the same episode, Twilight tries to pull off one of her own, and messes up in every possible way.Rainbow Dash: No way! How did you know?
Twilight: Well, I guess you could say... I'm just amazing. Yeaaaaaaaaaooooh are we not doing that anymore?
- Later the same episode, Twilight tries to pull off one of her own, and messes up in every possible way.
- Random Events Plot: "Makin' Babies" (the abridged version of "The Cutie Mark Chronicles") completely ignores the canon plot. Instead it's a story about the mane cast getting reverted to fillies by a miscast magic spell. They then scatter and get up to completely unrelated shenanigans. There is no resolution, only punchlines.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: In "All A Boot Shy", Pinkie offers Fluttershy some of "your favorite purple drink". Fluttershy finds it offensive and flips out (even though she really does like purple drink).
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: In The Best Episode Ever, Rarity not only reads the directions, but also which part says the line, and also accidentally reads them out of order.Rarity: Enter stage door, fall dramatically, cry out for help. Princess Plutonium: Clover Red Rover, we call you over.
Twilight: You know, you don't have to read out your stage directions.
Rarity: And you don't have to break character, but, hey, look at that.
- Read the Freaking Manual:Twilight: Nothing's illegal if it's For Science!!
Spike: Isn't that what you said when you tried to clone that burrito?
Twilight: How was I supposed to know they'd turn into super-intelligent evil mutants that haunt us to this very day?
Spike: Because that's what it said in the instruction book.
Twilight: Shut up, Spike.
- A Real Man Is a Killer:Applejack: [to Apple Bloom] Oh, you'll get your cutie mark, when you kill your first pony. Or when you do pretty much anything else. The whole system's kinda vague, really.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- In "Faith to Faith", an unnamed pony in the audience rants about everyone who ticks him off. He claims that he's speaking for the masses, but it becomes increasingly clear that no one really agrees with him. Eventually, Applejack puts him in his place:Applejack: You know, you may think you're some sort of champion of the population, but you actually just sound more like an ass who hates anyone who doesn't share your opinion.
- In "The Movie 2: Movie Harder", Celestia gives one after the main cast performs their (offscreen) song.Celestia: Wow. That was actual garbage. And that's coming from someone who went to the dump the other day to get Luna a birthday present and actually listened to the sound of garbage. I thought badness of this level was just an old wives' tale. In this sacred place of learning, all you have taught us is pain. The instruments you defiled should be shredded into a thousand pieces and launched into the Sun, with you along with them.
- In "Faith to Faith", an unnamed pony in the audience rants about everyone who ticks him off. He claims that he's speaking for the masses, but it becomes increasingly clear that no one really agrees with him. Eventually, Applejack puts him in his place:
- Recap Episode: Season 3 finale "The Longest Recap". It's more a Self-Parody, and a parody of recaps, since all the dialogue and jokes from the recaps are completely new, and some of them actually contradict what happened in the original episode.
- Reference Overdosed: Discussed.
- In "One Joke to Rule Them All", everyone dismisses Pinkie's warnings about the parasprites because she phrases them as Lord of the Rings references.Pinkie: Rarity, I need you to help me summon the Riders of Rohan!
Rarity: Pinkie, stop making references. They're not funny.
- In "The David Bowie Drinking Game", the endless David Bowie shoutouts eventually grate on Rarity: "No, I can't take any more of these stupid references!"
- In "Faith to Faith", Pinkie name-drops LittleKuriboh and quotes Futurama. Most of her audience laughs at this, but one naysayer shouts "Your low standards of humor are why no one tries to make legitimate comedy anymore!"
- In "C.S.Pie", Twilight assumes the entire episode is a C.S.I. parody, so she gets pissed when Pinkie keeps making other references that "don't fit". References to Sherlock Holmes, Starsky and Hutch, Columbo, The X-Files...
- "The Longest Recap" makes a Tempting Fate Call-Forward on Pinkie's Lord of the Rings references:Pinkie Pie: It's like the Green Dragon up in here!
Twilight: Please don't make that a thing.
Pinkie: I'm New Zealander, bro! It's all I've got!
- In "One Joke to Rule Them All", everyone dismisses Pinkie's warnings about the parasprites because she phrases them as Lord of the Rings references.
- Remembered I Could Fly: "Upon returning to Canterlot, Princess Celestia banished Luna to the moon again. This time Luna remembered she had wings and just flew back later that month."
- Remember the New Guy?: Twilight's friends aren't impressed with Shining Armor's abrupt introduction to the story.Twilight: [reading a letter] "We are happy to invite you to the marriage of Mi Amore Cadenza and..." [gasps] my brother?
[Cut to intro, interrupted by...]
Applejack: Wait a minute, wait a minute. I'm calling bollocks.
Rarity: Twilight, you can't just randomly decide that you've always had a brother.
Twilight: What? I have always had a brother, I just haven't talked about him until now!
- Replacement Goldfish: Celestia thinks Rarity is angling to take Twilight's place in her heart, but she won't have any of it.Celestia: You know, you can't replace her. You're only part purple. She's purple everywhere, you're just your hair. You think that's good enough? Just the hair? It's not.
- Retcon: At the start of The Movie: The Moviening, the other five wonder why Twilight became an alicorn princess, seeing as she never expressed any interest in princess-hood beforehand. Twilight insists that she's always wanted to be a princess, and she replays footage from prior episodes to prove it. The footage is even more crudely edited than usual, and all her dialogue about princess-y things is obviously overdubbed by a robotic voice.
- Retroactive Wish: From "Rocks, Clocks, and Two Stupid Ponies":
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: In "The Longest Recap":Twilight: Please let us host the next Pony Games! I will do anything if you would!
Ms. Tightpussy: Oh, really? Would you kick one of your friends in the face?
[Twilight kicks Rainbow Dash, hard enough to send her flying clear to the other side of the city, where Dash smacks into a window.]
Ms. Tightpussy: Well, that was horrible, but mildly entertaining.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: In "The Longest Recap",Twilight: [to Chrysalis, disguised as Cadance] You don't remember me from an incredibly long time ago, and I hate you for that!
Chrysalis, disguised as Cadance: Aha, I am evil!
- Rousing Speech: Rainbow Dash loves to give pep talks, and they're invariably rambling and nonsensical. Her talk from "The Pet Games" is covered under Perfectly Cromulent Word (above), and "Forgettershy" features:Rainbow Dash: Okay guys. Now, I know what you're all thinking, and I'm thinking it, too. So nothing really needs to be said.
- Running Gag:
- A "14 Hours Later" card is frequently used for scene transitions, even if it makes no sense for that much time to pass. No, especially if it makes no sense.
- The caption "I swear I'm not racist" shows up whenever the ponies show off their xenophobic side.
- Every time Mayor Mare gives a speech, one (unknown) pony in the crowd heckles her.
- Rarity "accidentally" showing someone her bondage gear instead of her dress designs.
- Twilight doesn't take well to David Bowie references. At first, in "The David Bowie Drinking Game", she just doesn't get any of the jokes. In later episodes, she gets annoyed that these references keep popping up.
- Twilight keeps getting cut off mid-sentence, usually by the episode itself: by the opening titles, the closing credits, or the "To be continued..." card.
- As of season 4, any comically short length of time is described as "Literally 2 seconds later/ago".
- Also in season 4, anytime someone tries to bring up "that thing about the box and something about the fate of the world", they are ignored in favor of something more important: The Pony Games.
- Running the Asylum: Happens in-universe: In "Stranger than Fan Fiction", the usual writers go on strike. Yellow Twilight offers to write a script for free, and the rest of the cast takes her up on the offer. Said script turns out to be a blatant Self-Insert Fic.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: In ''Discord and Me:"Twilight: [to herself] Mumble mumble stupid mumble.
- The Scapegoat:
- As it becomes clear that Winter Wrap Up is completely ruined, they put the issue to a vote and everybody (including Rainbow Dash) agrees to blame Rainbow Dash for the fiasco.
- Apple Bloom blames Twist for every bad idea she has, even after she realizes Twist is a figment of her imagination.
- Ponyville's scapegoat is apparently an official position. When Rainbow Dash takes a vacation in "The Cheesen One", someone else has to fill in for her.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!:
- After seeing the other ponies' treatment of Blue Twilight, Purple Twilight decides she's had enough. "That's it. I'm out. I hope a bear eats you all."
- After Discord makes his introduction, Pinkie tries to walk out of the series. "Ultra Fast Pony, season two, everybody! I hope you all enjoyed it. I'm going home."
- When Rainbow Dash gets hospitalized, Twilight is the only pony still willing to visit her. Then Dash cracks a racist joke, and Twi's response is, "Okay, that's it, I'm out! I'm done. You have fun by yourself."
- In "All A Boot Shy", Iron Will tries to collect some money Fluttershy owes him. When he realizes just how stoned Flutters is, he leaves and declares that he's never coming back.
- In "Big Sister is Watching", Applejack is so angry at the episode that instead of going on to save Applebloom from the Chimera, she declares that she's going home, and that the Chimera isn't allowed to be a character in the episode anymore.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: For her "lullaby", Sweetie Belle sings the lead and scats the backing "instruments" at the same time. When asked how she did it, the answer is "Magic."
- Self-Deprecation: All over the place. Wacarb frequently mocks his own editing or lip-synching by slapping a "Quality editing!" subtitle on sub-par scenes, or uses a "This looks familiar..." subtitle to lampshade his over-reliance on particular footage.
- Self-Insert Fic:
- Pinkie writes a Lord of the Rings fanfic where "the brave and sexy Pinkie" joins the Fellowship of the Ring and winds up in a love triangle with Bill the pony and Shadowfax.
- In "Stranger than Fan Fiction", Yellow Twilight's new script for the episode features a very prominent role for the new character Yellow Twilight. At the end, the rest of the mane cast call her a "sexy, sexy beast" for a full page of the script.
- Series Fauxnale: The season one finale, "The Longest Episode", plays out like it's the last episode ever. Twilight seemingly breaks character to tell everypony how much she appreciates their friendship. It's followed by a "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue and extended end titles with Wacard thanking everyone who helped or inspired him. ...Season Two started a few months later.
- Serious Business: The primary job of the Orange crime family (allies of the Apple family) is fielding a badminton team. "Badminton is very important in the mafia."
- Sex Equals Love:
- In "Pirate Shipping":Apple Bloom: Hey you guys, you're supposed to be helping me find someone for Cheerilee.
Sweetie Belle: Why don't we just call a prostitute?
Apple Bloom: No, Sweetie Belle, we're trying to get her to fall in love, not just get laid.
Sweetie Belle: Isn't getting laid the entire point of falling in love?
Apple Bloom: No, of course not! They're completely different.
Scootaloo: <How are they different?>
Apple Bloom: Because Disney!
- In "The Longest Wedding":Chrysalis: My changelings feed on love, and here there is love aplenty!
Celestia: Oh, that's all you wanted? I have a harem, you could have just borrowed it, you know.
Chrysalis: No! It must be pure love.
- In "Pirate Shipping":
- Shameless Self-Promoter: The episode "Shameless Self Reference" is loaded with call backs to prior episodes, as well as references to Wacarb's fanfics and non-UFP videos. Every single one of these is accompanied by an in-video comment with a link to the object of the reference.
- Shaped Like Itself: In "Ponyville Noire":Dick Spiky: Blind Eye McGamminy then tells me only one thing before running off scared, like she saw something scary, I guess.
- Shipper with an Agenda: In "Pirate Shipping", Apple Bloom takes it upon herself to find a romantic partner for her schoolteacher, Cheerilee, and she quickly settles on her own older brother, Big Mc Intosh, as the best candidate. After her manipulations result in Big Mac and Cheerilee actually getting married, AB lets slip that she did it all solely to gain herself more influence in Cheerilee's classroom.
- Shoo Out the New Guy:
- In "Stranger than Fan Fiction", Yellow Twilight gets introduced, and somehow becomes very close to the mane six. Then at the end:Yellow Twilight: I would love to stay and marry everyone here, but the President of the Universe needs me. So I must fly fo... fly away.
- Also referenced in The Movie: The Moviening. Twilight departs Canterlot High with the words, "I have to go. My planet needs me."
- In "Stranger than Fan Fiction", Yellow Twilight gets introduced, and somehow becomes very close to the mane six. Then at the end:
- Pinkie's references to The Lord of the Rings imply that Wacarb is a fan as well. One does not simply reference Bill the pony via pop cultural osmosis.
- A few to Homestar Runner. Marzipan's "Oh Yeah Yeah" song is used for two separate montages. Photo Finish sounds like (a slightly less Cloud Cuckoolander-ish) Senor Cardgage. The background "music" in "Stay Tuned" is very similar to the music from the Dangeresque films.
- Wacarb is a fan of PurpleEyesWFT's abridgements. Diamond Tiara's voice sounds a lot like Nina's voice from Code MENT. And the joke where DT complains about Scootaloo being incomprehensible is very similar to the joke where Nina makes fun of Suzaku for having a stupid voice.
- As young Rarity gets dragged towards her new destiny, the Wallace & Gromit theme music plays. A caption appears, reading "I love this song".
- When Rarity reaches her destiny, she's disappointed that it's not Pride Rock, just an ordinary rock.
- "There's no such thing as too much David Bowie!"
- Some of the many incorrect names Pinkie Pie gives to Cranky include Diddy, Dixie, Lanky, Funky, and Chunky.
- Sick and Wrong: Twilight serves as the judge for a talent show. One of the talents is racism. Her reaction: "This whole thing is sick and depraved! But yes, he was the fastest."
- Side-Effects Include...:wacarb: Get your own gelatin swingset today! (Warning, swingset may cause diabetes, heart failure, motion sickness, stickiness, nausea, lycanthropy, rising, falling, and being laughed at by your friends because you own a gelatin swingset)
- Sidetracked by the Analogy: In "How to Control Freaks".Twilight: Now, quick, Fluttershy, get [Rainbow Dash] in a full nelson! [...] Dammit, Fluttershy, I said full nelson, not one-quarter!
Fluttershy: I don't know anyone named Nelson!
Twilight: That has nothing to do with it!
Rarity: What about Nelson Mandela?
Twilight: That's a good point. What about Nelson Mandela, Fluttershy?
Fluttershy: I don't know who that is!
Twilight: How do you not know who that is?!
- Skewed Priorities: Celestia won't go to save Manehattan when it catches fire, even though Luna is trapped inside. However when a guard tells her that Luna is having a tea party without her she leaves for Manehattan straight away.
- Small Reference Pools: Rarity won't allow the Diamond Dogs to go for the most obvious David Bowie reference: "Who are you? And don't say Ziggy Stardust, or I'll be pissed."
- Smash Cut: Combined with Medium Awareness to end the first episode.[Nightmoon Mare is freed, and will soon destroy the world.]
Twilight: Don't worry, I have a pla-
["To be continued..."]
- It happens again in season two's first episode, complete with a subtitle calling back to episode 1.
- Smurfing: Mainly in the use of "Everypony", at least when wacarb doesn't forget. Parodied at one point when Applejack and Pinkie are screwing with Twilight.Twilight: Not everything has to have the word "pony" on it!
Pinkie: Whatever you say, Pony Sparkle!
Applejack: Top o' the mornin' to you, Pony Pie! How ya doin'?
Pinkie: Oh yeah, I'm alright. Thanks for asking, Ponyjack!
Applejack: Pony pony?
Pinkie: Pony pony pony!
Twilight: You can stop now.
- Snap Back:
- Used straight in "Makin Babies". No explanation is given for how the mane cast were returned to adulthood, and there have been no references to the incident in episodes since.wacarb: I had a canon once. It was awful.
- Subverted by the schoolhouse. Apple Bloom burns it down in "Out With the Old Characters", but it shows up again with no explanation. Then, in "Granny Smith Is Mean", she burns it down again, and it's back in the very next scene, prompting Sweetie Belle to comment, "Aw, they're getting really fast at rebuilding the school."
- Used straight in "Makin Babies". No explanation is given for how the mane cast were returned to adulthood, and there have been no references to the incident in episodes since.
- So Last Season: In "The Longest Recap":Twilight: So? Why don't you and Princess Cadance just blast [Sombra] away with the Power of Love like you did with Queen Chrysalis?
Shining Armor: But according to the laws of arbitrariness, that won't work this time!
- Sold Her Soul For A Donut: Rarity gives her soul to the demon Maud, and all she asks for in return is for Maud to pull a really petty prank against Applejack. Of course, Rarity is such an over-the-top masochist, it would be totally in-character for her to want to end up in Hell anyway.
- Somebody Doesn't Love Raymond: In "So Random!", Cranky is the only one in Ponyville who doesn't think Pinkie is a laugh riot. She makes it her goal to get Cranky to admit she's funny.Cranky: Oh, I'm so happy now! Pinkie Pie, how can I ever repay ya?
Pinkie: Can you please tell me that I'm funny?
Cranky: I don't understand, we've only just met. Why does my opinion even matter?
Pinkie: Look, Lanky, if I can't get the approval of complete strangers for my sense of humor, then my life will never be validated!
- Something Something Leonard Bernstein: At the end of the Season 3 trailer, Twilight is rapping to the tune of Eminem's "Without Me":Twilight: Now this looks like it's UFP! / So everybody watch UFP! / Cuz we need a little more UFP! / Because something something UFP!
- Something We Forgot:
- At the end of "How to Control Freaks", after Twilight has returned her friends to normal, defeated Discord, and fixed all the chaos in Equestria... she realizes she never found Celestia's tea cups. And they were only problem that Celestia actually cared about. This triggers a Heroic BSoD in Twilight.
- In "Derp and Destruction", the mane cast escape from Derpy... then realize too late that they lost Rainbow Dash somewhere along the way. Sure enough, Dash got captured by Derpy.
- In "Forgettershy", Rainbow Dash gather all the pegasi in town to make the tornado, but she forgets to bring Fluttershy. When FS realizes that she's been neglected, she shows up to participate anyway, and everyone ignores her. Dash keeps feeling like she's forgotten something until she finally remembers: they forgot the opening theme song. And also Spike.Twilight: Yay! Three cheers for Spike, yeah!
Fluttershy: Oh, you guys suck!
- In "A Sombra Affair", the main cast completely forgets that Twilight is still stuck at the top of the castle tower, and they leave the Crystal Kingdom without her.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Pops up a few times in "Edgar Allen Poen":That day, I remained observant, as our contest grew more fervent.
Every task I had to finish, I was always beaten to.
And whatever Twilight needed, all my efforts were impeded
But defeat was not conceded. There was much more I could do.
But Owloysius beat me to all the work I set to do.
I called him gay. He said "Who."
- Sound Defect: In "But We're Cousins", the trip downriver is initially accompanied by the sound effect of heavy wind.Applejack: [to Wacarb] Hey, you up there! What are you, daft? We're on a river, not a snowstorm!
Caption: Oh. Sorry.
[The wind sound abruptly stops. In its place, the sound of a toilet flushing.]
Applejack: Ah, close enough.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace:Celestia: Anyone who thinks these two ponies should not get married, speak now, or speak later and cause an argument.
- Spoof Aesop:
- In "Sister Angst", Sweetie Belle claims that it's okay to be selfish if you're cute. Rarity says it's ridiculous, but after she goes through great lengths to get her sister back (as in the original episode), she states that Sweetie Belle was right all along. At which point Sweetie Belle mocks her for having taken that seriously.
- In "This One Time at Flight Camp":Rainbow Dash: You know, guys, I really learned a lot today: You can't pick your families. But you can. Through adoption! Or disowning them.
- In "Fillin' Dem Plot Holes, Bro!":Twilight: They rely on friendship, but they only work with magic.
Applejack: Well, that's a terrible lesson for the children. What are we supposed to tell them, "No matter how big your problem is, you can only solve it with magic"?
Twilight: That is exactly right!
- In "Everybody Hates Gilda":Celestia: What is this? Invisible ink? Is this what we're teaching our children these days? Yes, no, I see why they say this has great morals for all the children, oh, that's really great! I mean, what kind of idiotic writer tells children that it's okay to be continuously playing pranks on everyone? We're raising a generation of assholes, that's what we're doing.
- In "Copywrong":Fluttershy: I learned that I shouldn't chase my dreams, and I should be happy where I am.
Rarity: And I learned that being a white hot chick is totally awesome. I was destined to succeed from the moment I was born!
- In "The Longest Episode":Twilight: We taught children all over the world that it's okay to crash parties, then run away.
- In "Utter Lunacy":Twilight: If you want people to like you, you need to fit in.
Princess Luna: Wait, are you saying I need to conform? [...] Wouldn't it make more sense to have an episode where we teach children it's okay to be themselves rather than changing who they are just to fit it?
Twilight: Ahahahaha hahahaha hahaha! Oh, oh, oh, you're serious. No, we're going with conformity.
- In "For Glorious Mother Equestria!":Rarity: Maybe this show does have good morals for the children after all: Don't eat your friends, kids!
Spike: And never grow up to be the person you're supposed to be.
- In "The Best Episode Ever":Spike: But then, they were all saved by magic. Proving once again that, no matter what problems you face, magic is the only solution.
Caption: My favorite moral.
- In "The Longest Engagement", Applejack puts an odd spin on the aesop from "C.S.Pie":Applejack: Twilight! Literally, last episode, we taught children all across the world not to accuse someone of doing something wrong, just in case we hurt their feelings.
- And in "The Longest Wedding":Twilight: Time to solve our problems using physical violence, just as the writers intended!
- In "A Sombra Affair": "And that day, Twilight truly learnt what it meant to be a princess... Being a princess means getting others to do your work for you."
- In "Join the Club":Applejack: No matter how any pony treats ya, you should always forgive them if they say they're sorry.
Apple Bloom: That sounds like advice for either a beautiful relationship, or an abusive one.
- In "The Longest Recap":Fluttershy: [to the dragon] Don't make me turn this into an episode where we teach children that getting mad is the only way to solve their problems.
- Later the same episode:Fancypants: The moral in this episode is to have money.
- In "Bummer in the City":Twilight: The moral we're trying to teach children this episode is that when someone offers to help you, you're supposed to politely refuse them!
Rarity: ... What?
Twilight: Nobody actually likes helping others. It's hard work!
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The episode that introduces the Cutie Mark Crusaders is titled "Out with the Old Characters".
- Spot the Imposter:
- When faced with an army of changelings who've shapeshifted to look like the mane six...Twilight: Now everyone pick your least favorite pony and bash the crap out of them!
- In "I Am Pinkie", Twilight gets a bit trigger-happy when disposing of Pinkie's clones:Rainbow: Uh, Twilight, did you just kill the real Pinkie?
Twilight: We don't know that! You can't prove anything! We're all in this together! Don't think I won't bring you down with me.
Rainbow: This is messed up.
Twilight: Oh, you know what? Screw it. Cull them until one remains!
- When faced with an army of changelings who've shapeshifted to look like the mane six...
- Spy Speak: Twilight tries to do this, but the "code sign" she delivers turns out to be a prank at her expense.Twilight: The dawn cow barks at the lonely sponge on a midsummer's eve.
Mrs. Cake: Damn it all, what are you talking about, girl?
- Stealth Pun:
- Pinkie calls all of her friends "bro", but her Kiwi accent renders it as sounding like "brew". So everyone in Ponyville is Pinkie's Brew.
- Twilight's "threat" to Nightmoon Mare: "I hope you get crabs! ... And the crabs give you cancer!" ("Cancer" is Latin for "crab", and the name of the crab constellation.)
- Still Got It: After Pinkie Pie fails to get Cranky to tell her she's funny, she makes Twilight laugh just by saying "chicken strudel". She says she's still got it.
- The Stinger: Every episode gets one, except for season-ending episodes, which get three. Generally, they're an extra joke that wouldn't have fit in the episode, or a scene redubbed with audio from an outside source.
- Story Arc: Lampshaded in season 4.
- In part 2 of the season opener, "More Weeds", Twilight is excited that "The worst season opener we've ever had is finally over,"—at which point she notices the box from the magic tree, and Luna explains they need to find the six keys to open it.Princess Celestia: This episode's going to last the whole season!
Twilight Sparkle: Nooooooooooooooooooooo...
- Then, just a few episodes later, in "You're Gonna Carry That Flag":Ms. Tightpussy: Now, as you all know, the running theme for this season is that the Ponylympic Games are being held in the Crystal Kingdom later this year.
Diamond Tiara: I thought the running theme for this season was to find the six keys to open the magical tree-box!
Ms. Tightpussy: What? That was never established. When was that established? You're only eight years old, and therefore you're wrong. It's the Ponylympic Games.
Caption: I thought the running theme was to lose the last of my remaining sanity.
- Then in "This One Time at Flight Camp", Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy get into a similar argument over which is the real theme of the season.
- In part 2 of the season opener, "More Weeds", Twilight is excited that "The worst season opener we've ever had is finally over,"—at which point she notices the box from the magic tree, and Luna explains they need to find the six keys to open it.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: In "The Longest Recap", both Sweetie Belle and the dragon bros threaten to get revenge on someone by complaining about them on Tumblr.
- Strip Poker: In "The Longest Engagement", the mane six (sans Twilight) play a game during the train ride. The caption notes that these games are always boring, for the obvious reason. Later in the episode, they receive bridesmaid dresses, and they note that they can finally play strip poker properly.
- Subverted Catch-Phrase: In "The Nightmoon Mare Zone", Princess Luna gets multiple, obvious chances to use her "Saaaaaand!" catch phrase, and passes on all of them.Luna: What are you doing down there on the... dirt?
Luna: I was just remembering the last time I went to the beach. Do you know what there's a lot of at the beach?
Luna: Rocks. Really little rocks. There's millions of them!
- Double-subverted at the end of the episode. As she's flying back to the moon, the last thing she says is a very quiet, "Sand."
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: "I'm a poet and I didn't even realize it!"
- Super Mode: Twilight unleashes her Panic Mode to find the Crystal Heart and defeat Sombra.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: In "I Am Pinkie":Pinkie: Now first of all, no one must know of this conversation.
Rainbow: What conversation?
Pinkie: Good, Rainbow Dash! That's exactly right!
Rainbow: Aw, yeah, I was totally just trying to do that thing that you said I did right! Okay, but seriously, what's going on? I don't know what I did.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: Rarely used, but heavily lampshaded.Twilight: What, we couldn't get the real music?
Pinkie Pie: Oh, no way, bro! It's copyrighted!
Twilight: Never stopped us before.
Pinkie Pie: Oh, quiet, bro, or they'll hear you!
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
- Applejack's introduction in the first episode.Twilight: This farm smells like pony droppings.
Applejack: Well it'll smell a lot worse after I bury you under it.
Applejack: Oh, nothing. We're just a... we're just a normal family. No need to get the law involved. We sell apples, we sell apples. [winks]
- In "The Cheesen One", the cause of Dash's mother's death.Rainbow Dash: But then she died of a heart attack because her arteries were clogged. But the cheese factory told me it had nothing to do with all the cheese she ate! And I believe them because they gave me a lot of money.
- In "All A Boot Shy", Rarity somehow manages to make the vaguest statement ever sound suspicious all the same:Rarity: I wasn't doing anything back there!
Fluttershy: Hi, Rarity! What were you doing?
Rarity: Anything. I mean, nothing! What do you want?
- Applejack's introduction in the first episode.
- Swiper, No Swiping!: Inverted when, in UFP 52: The Longest Wedding, Chrysalis pulls one on Cadance.Cadance: Oh, Shining Armor, my tender, tender lion. Don't worry, I'll save you my little wiggly worm!
Cadance: Oh, no! I've been beaten!
- Take That!:
- The series takes a couple of jabs at Friendship is Witchcraft. In the comment section below "The Penny and Clyde Show", Wacarb clarifies that he does it out of professional rivalry rather than actual ill will. "If you're wondering what I feel about FiW, they are ok, I only really make fun of them because they are the most popular competition."
- In "One Joke To Rule Them All", Twilight, as a "new joke", takes up saying "Talk about eye candy!" at random occasions. Which nobody finds funny.
- "I stole all these jokes from Friendship Is Witchcraft. And by that I mean there are no jokes this episode". The episode in question indeed contains no jokes (see Out-of-Genre Experience).
- "Pega, Please" has one that's either much more subtle or just a coincidence. Twilight says that the dragon is "dragone", which Spike finds incredibly lame. ("Dragone Baby Gone" is the title of another Friendship is Witchcraft episode.)
- In "Pega Please!" Pinkie encourages Fluttershy to think of "that famous basketball player" to help her jump across the ravine.Fluttershy: Shaquille O'Neal!
Pinkie Pie: No, not that one!
Twilight: Never, ever, that one, Fluttershy.
- In "Little Miss Montage", DJ Scratch Vinyl 3-Pones plays "Hamster Dance", which prompts Hoity Toity to comment, "Oh, now that's just poor taste in music. Still better than dubstep, though."
- In "The Best Episode Ever":Spike, as narrator: And so they all left, with nothing at all being achieved. Making the meeting about as effective as the United Nations.
LOL LOL CLASSY POLITICAL HUMOR LOL LOL
- "Faith to Faith" has a jab at how Reference Overdosed Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series can be.Pinkie Pie: Time to make Little Kuriboh proud! "Shut up and take my money!"
[The crowd has a good laugh at this.]
Random pony: Your low standards of humor are why no one tries to make legitimate comedy anymore!
- In "The Longest Engagement", Fluttershy introduces a bird she befriended, a bird who sings with the voice of Nicki Minaj.Twilight: For the love of Celestia, make it stop!
Fluttershy: Sorry. Some birds just ain't cut out for singing.
- Combined with Self-Deprecating Humor, at Shining Armor and Princess Cadance's wedding Celestia notes that:Celestia: Marriages are like abridged series. They're usually offensive and don't last very long.
- In the video description for "UFP sings Take On Me", wacarb writes "I'm better at butchering the classics than George Lucas."
- In a few season 3 episodes, Wacarb's treatment of the source material gets more bluntly negative than usual. His video description for "Join the Club" reads, "Hey, at least things couldn't get worse. I'm not kidding this time, this is the actual pits." In "Wolfenspike 3D", Twilight attributes a specific plot hole to laziness, and Applejack replies, "I frickin' hate season 3." And in "Discord and Me", Celestia defends a plot hole by saying "It's season 3, Twilight, try not to think too much about it. The writers certainly didn't!"
- The video description for "Ponyville Noire" reads "A video of still images, monotone voice work and slowly decreasing quality of humor? What is this, the Mentally Advanced Series?"
- In "Saturday Morning Ponies", the video description reads "Some of the worst synth music you'll ever hear. Still better than Scootatrix at least."
- In "On Your Mark", Sweetie Belle says "Yeah, Applebloom, scooter trick sucks". This was a response to a "Take That!" from Scootertrix.
- The entire Season 4 Finale is essentially a long series of affectionate "Take That!"s between Wacarb and Jack Getchman (the creator of Scootertrix, who voices Tirek in UFP), and, naturally, a lot of Self-Deprecation.
- The series takes a couple of jabs at Friendship is Witchcraft. In the comment section below "The Penny and Clyde Show", Wacarb clarifies that he does it out of professional rivalry rather than actual ill will. "If you're wondering what I feel about FiW, they are ok, I only really make fun of them because they are the most popular competition."
- Take That, Audience!:
- In "A Library With No Twilight", after establishing just how creepy Phil the Narrator can be, the episode ends with the text, "Phil is a brony, exactly like you! YES! JUST LIKE YOU!"
- In "Derp and Destruction":Rarity: Nobody's that stupid, Twilight.
Twilight: They watch this show. They have to be a little bit stupid.
- In "The Longest Engagement":Celestia: Kind of weird, I guess, me watching them. I wonder if anyone's watching me watching them. Wow, that would be weird! And also pathetic.
- Take That, Critics!:
- "One Joke to Rule Them All" has a rather pointed Take That! at Friendship is Witchcraft. Wacarb's description of the video predicts how the viewers will react:
- After Pinkie admits to trolling Twilight, Twi wonders about the possibility of trolling the audience... then Pinkie pulls up screenshots of negative youtube comments from prior episodes. Wacarb's Author Avatar informs them that they're giving bronies a bad name—then realizes that he's also to blame for stirring up those commenters in the first place.
- In "Ponyville Noir", he includes "react videos" in a list of petty crimes. Interestingly, in the weeks before, UFP had itself been featured in a number of MLP Analysis "blind reaction" videos...
- Take Our Word for It:
- In "Ponyville Noir", Spiky describes Roxine and Melvin's touching reunion...Dick Spiky: It was a beautiful sight, something you'd really have to see for yourself.
- In "Bummer in the City", the mane six watch a performance of Equus. We don't get to see it, but we hear Twilight's reaction.Twilight: Wait, is that a human? ... What's he doing with that pony? ... Oh my god!
- In "Ponyville Noir", Spiky describes Roxine and Melvin's touching reunion...
- Take Over the World: Revealed to be the Apple Family's goal in season four.
- Take Your Time: In "The Longest Wedding", Cadance insists on taking a 14-hour potty break during her escape from the cave. Later, when Celestia tells Twilight to get the Elements of Harmony (because they're the only thing that can defeat Chrysalis) Twilight sticks around to listen to Celestia jabber about nothing in particular.Celestia: Oh, and hey Twilight? Would you hurry up already?
- Taking You with Me: A non-lethal variant in "Purple Party Pooper". When Celestia shows up to announce that Twilight's "in a lot of trouble, Twi threatens to dish out the dirt on her five friends.Twilight: Oh, don't think I won't take any of you down with me!
Pinkie Pie: Bro, I don't care. We've got nothing to hide, right, guys?
[Dismayed silence from Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash]
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: In "Purple Party Pooper".Fluttershy: Hey, Twilight. How's your birthday?
Twilight: Don't you "Have a nice day" me!
Fluttershy: I didn't say that.
[later, at the end of the conversation]
Twilight: I'm gonna find new friends!
Fluttershy: Okay, Twilight. Have a nice da— Ooooh! I get it now! Oh, she good.
- Temporarily Exaggerated Trait: The guest writer in "Stranger Than Fan Fiction" does this to any character that doesn't get an Alternate Character Interpretation.Zecora: Yo hibbidy jabbidy jib-jibbidy-jib jabba. Yo-biddi-ba, Twilight, you in my house blabba.
- Tempting Fate:
- In "Funk Master Z", Twilight praises Ponyville for going an entire week without driving away some outsider. As soon as she finishes, she realizes her friends are hiding from Zecora because she's different. Cue a Rapid-Fire "No!" on Twilight's part.
- In "Little Miss Montage":Twilight: I think karma kicked in and the universe is finally giving me a happy, stress-free day!
Rainbow Dash: Look out below!
Twilight: Thanks, universe. Thanks a lot.
- "Purple Party Pooper" opens with Twilight singing about how today is the best day ever, and her telling Spike how much she's looking forward to celebrating her birthday with her friends. Then Spike tells her that none of her friends can make it, prompting a Cluster Bleep-Bomb from Twilight. Then it happens again, complete with a Lampshade Hanging.Twilight: Oh, today has been the worst day of my life. I don't think today could get any worse than this!
Applejack: Karma in three... two...
Princess Celestia: Twilight, you are in a lot of trouble.
- Even Twilight starts to catch on. In "Utter Lunacy":Twilight: Besides, I don't want anyone taking the limelight away from Zecora! ... And even as I say that ...
Luna: I'm coming back, baby!
Twilight: Well, I saw that coming, but as long as she stopped with that stupid catch phrase...
- In "C.S.Pie", Twilight admits that she's impressed with the episode's premise for a change, and she just hopes the writers don't screw it up. Then two blatant National Stereotypes walk in...
- At the beginning of "The Longest Wedding", it looks like the usual episode intro isn't going to happen. Twilight admits that she hates the intro and is glad to finally do an episode without it. Then the intro plays.
- Later the same episode, Celestia is glad that the second wedding went off without any problems. Rainbow Dash then craps herself, very publicly. "Dammit, Rainbow Dash! You had one job!"
- Shortly after:Twilight: That was not how I wanted this to end.
Spike: Well, at least it was a better ending than last season.
[Luna flies in from nowhere]
Luna: Hey, guys! Saaaaaaaaaand! Hahaha.
- In "A Sombra Affair", Twilight lets Spike take the Crystal Heart down to the others, then adds, "But if you cause a chain reaction of stupid things to happen, I'm gonna be so mad at you!" Cue Spike dropping the Crystal Heart, and the Epic Wife Tossing scene. "Dammit, Spike!"
- In "Top Dumb":Rainbow Dash: I can't believe I've already been fired! I'm just glad my friends aren't here to see this.
Twilight: Rainbow Dash, we're here to visit!
Rainbow: Damn you, skipping important parts of the story to advance the plot! Damn you to hell!
- In "Discord and Me":Twilight: I can't wait until Celestia arrives, then we'll finally have some intelligence around here!
Celestia: Guess who's reforming Discord for no freaking reason!
- Mixed with Call-Forward in "The Longest Recap":Celestia: Thanks for doing my work for me, Twilight.
Twilight: Whatever. But I don't want to make a habit out of this!
- Later the same episode:Twilight: Oh, what are you going to do? Kill me to death?
[The other five ponies blast her with the Elements of Harmony.]
- That Came Out Wrong / Verbal Backspace:Twilight: Hey, Zecora. You wanna hang?
[Beat. Oh, Crap! expression on Twi's face.]
Twilight: Wow, that came out so wrong. I mean, do you wanna hang out?
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: In "The Cheesen One", a mother is concerned about her baby's imminent violent death. She remarks, "That really cheeses me off."
- There Are No Rules: At the Running Of The Leaves, it's stated outright that there's no rule against cheating.
- Think of the Censors!: In Pinkie's "Zorba Style" song:Pinkie: When I get some good luck
After my hoovies get stuck
My Bill will rescue me and then we will...
wait, I can't say that word.
- This Is No Time to Panic: As Twilight is trapped in the caves below Canterlot:Twilight: Okay, Twilight. Now, whatever you do, don't panic.
Chrysalis: Suprise, fatty!
Twilight: Abandon the no-panic plan!
- Thought-Aversion Failure: In "The Longest Recap":Future Twilight: Twilight! I'm me from the future!
Present Twilight's internal monologue: Don't make a Doctor Who reference, don't make a Doctor Who reference, don't make a Doctor Who reference!
Future Twilight: Are you okay there?
Present Twilight: Doctor Who!
Future Twilight: Dammit!
Present Twilight: I know, right?
- Threat Backfire:
- In "The David Bowie Drinking Game", Rarity is threatening to whine at the David Bowies. Bowie retorts, "Dammit, girl, if you whine I will be forced to hurt you!" forgetting that he's talking to the most masochistic pony in the world. Rarity immediately starts whining in earnest.
- In "The Penny and Clyde Show":Celestia: Oh, and Twilight [...] If you call me "Celestia" again without adding "Princess" in the front, I'm going to have you tortured.
Rarity: Celestia Celestia Celestia!
Celestia: The torture is for Twilight only.
Rarity: Aw, piss.
- In "How to Control Freaks":Twilight: Screw you, Discord!
Discord: Only on my birthday! Which is tomorrow, by the way...
Twilight: Oh no, what have I gotten myself into?
- Throwing the Fight: Sort of. In "Mob Wars", Big Mc Intosh is training for a prize fight—he's supposed to win the fight, but the opponent is supposed to go down in the fourth round and no sooner.
- Title Drop:
- In "Shameless Self Reference":Rarity: But I don't get it. How were you able to get down there so quickly?
Rainbow Dash: Gee Rarity I don't know, I guess you could say I'm an Ultra. Fast. Pony.
- Defied in "Saturday Morning Ponies":Masked Matterhorn: Fillysecond! Using your... very quick speed...
Caption: Not falling for that title drop again.
- In "Shameless Self Reference":
- The Titling:
- In "I Am Pinkie", Clone Pinkie promises that death will come for everyone, except for those who receive "Ultra Death 2: The Re-Deathening" instead.
- UFP The Movie: The Moviening
- Too Much Information: Twilight's reaction to hearing about Rarity's fantasies about Prince Blueblood. Applejack's reaction to hearing what Twilight's been doing during Winter Wrap Up (described with the worst possible wording). And when Fluttershy starts going into excessive detail about her relationship with Discord, Twilight even says, "Literally too much information!"
- Too Spicy for Yog-Sothoth: In "Discord and Me", Fluttershy manages to scare Discord with her stoned weirdness.
- To the Batnoun! / Thememobile: Twilight apparently can't tell the difference between locations and vehicles. When the characters need to go somewhere, she likes to shout "To the <place>-mobile!"
- Translation: "Yes":
- In "Chickens! Run!" Scootaloo says "Skee!", which translates to English as, "You are indeed correct in your assumptions."
- In "The Cheesen One", she says "Zabadoo zadabadaba skeebadoo balabadaba skeebaloo hebadalaba daba dabadabo," which translates to English as "Yes."
- In "The Longest Recap", she says three completely different lines that somehow all translate to "And I'm Scootaloo!"
- Travel Montage: In "The Longest Wedding", Twilight and Cadance's escape from the cave is depicted with one of these.
- Trivially Obvious:
- The Crystal Kingdom librarian keeps answering Twilight's questions in the least helpful manner possible.Twilight: Hang on, let me finish! Do you have any books—
Librarian: Yes, we have many books.
Twilight: King Sombra! Or like, how to kill him or something.
Twilight: Oh, good. Where is it?
Librarian: It's in the library.
- In "The Longest Recap":Pinkie: Today I learned an important lesson: I can't be everywhere at once. Stay tuned next week, when we learn that the sky is blue!
- The Crystal Kingdom librarian keeps answering Twilight's questions in the least helpful manner possible.
- [Trope Name]:
- In "Copywrong":Photo Finish: And I learned... lesson.
- In "Pinkie's Day In":Applejack: Yeah, but that's just a front. I mean, that's just a... Go away! Something about apples!
- In "Faith to Faith", after Applejack delivers a decisive verbal smackdown to an annoying pony in the audience, Pinkie Pie adds:Pinkie Pie: Yeah, you sound just like—
INSERT OWN JOKE HERE
Caption: I should do that more often. Saves me a lot of time.
- In "The Hip Hop Happening", Rainbow Dash needs a rhyme:Rainbow: Don't worry! I'll have you out of there in a hurry! Uh... something about curry!
- In "Copywrong":
- Trust Password:Present Twilight: Huh. If you're me from the future, then what's my middle name?
Future Twilight: Uhhh, it's uhhh a secret?
Present Twilight: I knew it! You really are from the future!
- Twisted Echo Cut: "The Longest What Now?" uses one of these to subvert an Ironic Echo Cut.Foreign leader: You have insulted me and my country. Good day, sir.
Twilight: Well, crap. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.
Celestia: Twilight, I'm here to bite you in the ass!
Twilight: Princess Celestia! Oh crap, you're probably upset about the waving incident, aren't you?
Celestia: What? What waving incident?
- 2 + Torture = 5: In "Forgettershy":Thunderlane: I mean, just think about it. Maybe Celestia is wrong, and one plus one doesn't equal four.
Twilight: Lies! Lies and blasphemy!
Thunderlane: Hey, you can't oppress me! I believe in free speech.
Twilight: That's it. I'm gonna mace you.
- Two Scenes, One Dialogue: "The At Odds Couple" consists almost entirely of this. The tense conversation between Fluttershy and Discord (who have recently broken up) is intercut with the bizarre, meandering small talk between Twilight and Celestia.Twilight (to Celestia): Wait a minute. You want to go on a date with your nose?
Fluttershy (to Discord): It's not a date!
- Two Words: I Can't Count: As Pinkie is planning Cadance's wedding reception in "The Longest Engagement":Pinkie: Okay, I'm just gonna say one word, one word about your reception. And it's gonna blow your mind!
Impostor Cadance: Good.
Pinkie: Oh, one word, I love it, even you're on board! Okay, bro, are you listening? Listen real good, eh, bro? Bro! Bro!
Impostor Cadance: Yes, yes.
Pinkie: Oh, it's a repeated one word, oh, I love that, bro! Anyway, here it is: Water balloons.
Impostor Cadance: That was two words. I am disgusted and unhappy!
Pinkie: Don't worry, I'll keep working on it!
- Underling with an F in PR: In "Batshy Crazy", Apple Bloom accidentally spoils Applejack's attempt to say she wasn't trying to kill Fluttershy.Twilight: And since Fluttershy is our friend, we're going to help her out of this problem, instead of just killing her.
Applejack: Well, of course, Twilight! I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way.
Apple Bloom: Hey, Applejack! I found your shotgun that you said you wanted to murder Fluttershy with, just like you specifically told me!
- Unfortunate Implications: In "The Longest Recap", during the recap of Twilight restoring her friends from Discord's mind-screwing:
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee:
- In "A Sombra Affair":Twilight: Oh, and one last thing. You have to make sure that—
[Cut to the opening theme. After it finishes, cut back to Twilight...]
Twilight: ...otherwise the whole plan will fail and everyone will die! Did you get all that?
Twilight: I'll take that as a yes! Good luck!
- In "Wolfenspike 3D":Applejack: Huh. That gives me an idea... which I will now explain!
Phil the narrator: No, we're still too lazy to do any of that.
Applejack: Fine, just cut to the action!
- In "A Sombra Affair":
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: In "The Longest Recap", Twilight returns as an alicorn. The rest of the mane six don't even notice until the stinger, where Twilight points it out herself. In the most blase way possible.Twilight: Oh, by the way, I have wings and I'm a princess now.
[The episode ends]
- Unwanted Assistance:
- The discorded Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity are genuinely trying to help Twilight with her diary, but they just get in her way.
- In "Join the Club":Apple Bloom: Hey, you leave Scootaloo's fat mother out of this! Don't worry, Scootaloo, I've got your back.
Scootaloo: Please. Stop helping.
- Uranus Is Showing:Derpy: From this day forward, you might as well refer to me as the Ruler of Space, because now I own yer anus!
- Uterine Replicator: According to Twilight's explanation in "Making Babies", foals are created via magic. Because sex was "messy and painful"; besides, there aren't enough males around for that to work anymore.
- Verbal Backspace:Applejack: What, you're just making dresses for all your friends, then?
Rarity: That's right.
Applejack: How in blazes are you gonna make five dresses?
Rarity: And Fluttershy.
Applejack: Six dresses.
- Another example comes from when Rarity is being (willingly) kidnapped by the three David Bowies.Spike: I don't think I understand what's going on here.
Rarity: I'll explain when you're older!
Spike: I'm sixty-seven.
Rarity: I'll explain tonight!
- In "The Longest Engagement":Twilight: [reading a wedding invitation] You are cordally invited... cord... cordial... [Beat] We are happy to invite you to the marriage of...
- Another example comes from when Rarity is being (willingly) kidnapped by the three David Bowies.
- Villain Respect: According to Maud, the dammed in hell praise The Apple Family.
- Virgin Power: In "Funk Master Z", the poison joke can be cured by bathing in the tears of a virgin.Rarity: I've never seen Rainbow Dash cry that much.
- Wacky Sound Effect: Used even more than "regular" sounds, ever since the overly-loud apple-biting sound in "Now With A Sound Effect".
- Weaksauce Weakness: Rarity is allergic to water.
- We Need a Distraction: In "A Sombra Affair", Rainbow Dash is convinced that she can help Applejack distract the crystal ponies. So:Applejack: Actually, you know what? I heard that there was something, uh, happening somewhere. Did you hear about that?
Rainbow: Are you serious?! That sounds so awesome! I better go check it out.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Discord inverts the mane six's vices, but Twilight notes that the end results are "even bigger jerks than you usually are." Twi has to revert them back to their old jerk selves before they can wield the magic friendship laser.
- Wham Shot: When the Changelings enter the Orb. Complete with Dramatic Shattering.
- What Did I Do Last Night?:
- In "Chickens! Run!":Sweetie Belle: So, me and my band tried to patch things up the other night. Yeah, didn't go very well. [...] Also, don't go in the bathroom. Someone vomited blood in there, and it might have been me. Details are a little bit fuzzy.
- In "Pirate Shipping", Cheerilee wakes up with no memory of what she did while under the influence of the "love potion". But the Cutie Mark Crusaders are nearby and happy enough to tell her exactly what happened.
- In "Forgettershy":Fluttershy: Come to think of it, why am I under this tree? Why am I surrounded by animals?
- In "Chickens! Run!":
- What Happened to the Mouse?:
- In "Pega Please", we never find out whether the dragon left peacefully, or if the ponies went with AJ's plan and killed him. Twilight says that he's "dragone" and that's all the explanation we get.
- In "Pinkie's Day In", the Cakes search all of Ponyville but never find the babies' real parents—leaving the babies' actual origin an unsolved mystery.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Applejack in "Saturday Morning Ponies" as Mistress Marevelous. Her power is that she has a rope. She's supposed to be able to control it with magic, except, being an Earth Pony, Applejack can't use magic.
- What's He Got That I Ain't Got?!: In "Top Dumb", Rainbow can't believe that Lightning Dust snagged her place in the Moderately Effective Flight Team.Rainbow: Oh come on, what does she got that I don't?
Spitfire: Well, she actually knows how to follow orders.
Rainbow: Aw come on, that was only one time!
Spitfire: She doesn't take craps on the runway.
Rainbow: Oh come on, that was only two or three times! Four, if you count the one I did five minutes ago.
Spitfire: And, Celestia help me, she is smarter than you.
Rainbow: I don't even know what that means!
- What Would X Do?: Everyone at the wedding asks what DJ 3 Pones would do, even Chrysalis.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The end of "The Longest Episode" explains the mane six's futures. Apparently, none of them see any significant progress or character development.
- Who's on First?: Thanks to her accent, Pinkie's pronunciation of "talking" sounds a lot like "Tolkien". Which leads to a bit of confusion when she tries to ask who wrote the Lord of the Rings books. (To drive the point home, one of the stingers for that episode features Pinkie reciting part of Abbott and Costello's original "Who's on First?" routine.)
- From "The Penny and Clyde Show":Celestia: It was... Discord.
Twilight: Uh... which chord?
Rainbow Dash: That chord?
Applejack: This chord?
Discord: Dis chord!
Rarity: Dun dah dun-dun-dun-dun!
- From "The Penny and Clyde Show":
- Who Is Driving?: Spoofed in a conversation with Rarity's parents.Rarity: You're drunk already, aren't you?
Rarity's dad: I'm not drunk, I'm your father!
Rarity's mom: I'm drunk.
Rarity's dad: Wait a minute. If you're drunk, and I'm your father, then who's driving the plane!?
- Who Writes This Crap?!:
- Characters frequently wonder just how stupid the writers of that episode were, usually as a reaction to the episode's Family Unfriendly Aesop.
- In "Stranger than Fan Fiction", Twilight gives up on making sense of her script and just reads it exactly as it's (mis)written.
- A Wizard Did It: At the Running Of The Leaves.Celestia: You two were so busy fighting you forgot to get any of the leaves down.
Applejack: What are you talking about? We were kicking the trees and everything, how did we do the worst job?!
Celestia: Because, uh... magic.
- Word-Salad Humor: Pinkie considers it the height of hilarity in "So Random!" Cranky isn't impressed.Pinkie: What are you talking about? Everyone wants to be my friend, I'm hilarious! Chicken strudel!
Pinkie: Why won't you laugh, you, uh, you stone-hearted... No, cold-hearted! No... you don't even have a heart! You have a stone... made of cold.
Cranky: No, you're not funny. You're just saying random words in a funny accent and thinking that's the same as comedy.
- Word Salad Lyrics:
- Zecora is no stranger to sacrificing meaning just to make her words rhyme.Zecora: The ponies of this town / are really weird. / Did you know Santa Claus / has a beard?
- Rarity's Hard-Work Montage is set to "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" with new, nonsensical lyrics.Rarity: Sweet dreams are made of peas. / Who am I to eat your cheese?
- Discord introduces himself by singing about "Penny and Clyde", admitting that they have nothing to do with anything but he likes saying their names.
- Zecora is no stranger to sacrificing meaning just to make her words rhyme.
- Would Rather Suffer:
- In "Top Dumb", Spitfire says that she'd rather have her eyes gouged out than be Rainbow Dash's mother. Rainbow says that that's what all her other mothers used to say.
- In "The Hip Hop Happening", Ms. Tightpussy says she'd rather die than hold the Pony Games in Ponyville.
- Wrongfully Attributed: In "Winning":Zecora: In the words of the immortal Mister Rogers, "Get the hell off my property!"
- In "The Longest Episode" Twilight says "In the words of the famous Stephen Hawking: Run like crazy!"
- "Yes"/"No" Answer Interpretation:
- In the first episode, Rarity apparently models Twilight in a gimp suit off screen. Rarity asks if she likes it, and when she's met with silence, she takes it as a no.
- In "A Sombra Affair", Twilight's explanation of the plan is interrupted by the title sequence. When she asks Rainbow if she understood the plan, Rainbow just says "Uhhhhh...". Twilight decides to take that as a yes.
- You Are Fat: Many people have insulted Twilight's weight over the course of the series, among them Princess Celestia and the narrator. And it's apparently Chrysalis's favorite insult, because she constantly calls Twilight a fatty. And Sunset Shimmer tricks Twilight into giving away her big crown thingy, by claiming that it makes Twilight look fat.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: As explained in "Wolfenspike 3D", the Dragon Code specifies that anyone who saves a dragon's life becomes that dragon's mother or father. Twilight "saved" Spike's life by killing his biological mother—Twi mistakenly thought that Spike and his dragon mom were fighting to the death.
- You Know the One: While searching Twilight's library in "Stranger Than Fan Fiction" for a way to defeat Blue and Yellow Twilight, Spike finds a book he thinks will help. It's only ever referred to as "This book" or "That book".
- Your Answer to Everything:
- In "Pega Please!":Fluttershy: Guys! I don't think I can make this jump!
Twilight: Oh why not?
Fluttershy: I'm just too shy.
Twilight: That's your reason for everything!
Fluttershy: It's a good reason!
- In "Random Eye Magic", Spike claims that tomato juice is the cure for everything.
- In "The Longest Recap":Scootaloo: [to Sweetie Belle] Stop suggesting roofies for everything!
- In "Pega Please!":
- Your Mom: In "Pirate Shipping".Scootaloo: <Why not get a thickshake?>
Sweetie Belle: If I wanted a thickshake I'd just go dancing with your mom.
- Your Soul is Mine!: Because Daring Do looks so much like her, Rainbow Dash thinks Daring stole her soul. Given that Daring sounds exactly like her and is just as stupid, she might be right.
- You Shall Not Pass!: Apparently, The Orb's entire reason for being is to show up at inconvenient places and tell everyone that they can't enter. When he tries to stop an entire train in "The Longest Engagement", it ends badly for him.
- You Were Trying Too Hard: In "Utter Lunacy", the stated aesop of "Conform or else" is subverted by the events of the episode. Luna's attempts to act normal all fail hilariously, but when she gives up and starts complaining about Twilight, Ponyville immediately accepts Luna as one of them.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: In "The Longest Wedding":Celestia: Someone better damn well tell me what is going on before I get murder everyone. And you wouldn't like me when I'm murder everyone.
- Zany Scheme:
- In "Copywrong", Rarity devises an insanely convoluted plan to ruin Fluttershy's career as a model. The plan doesn't even mention Fluttershy, and instead culminates in being mean to Rainbow Dash.
- In The Movie: The Moviening, Rarity apparently doesn't even know how to make a non-zany scheme.Rarity: I have a plan, everyone!
Applejack: And it can't be anything overly convoluted. [beat] That means complicated. [beat] That means hard to understand.
Rarity: I don't have a plan, everyone!