Titles of the definite-article + gerund format, i.e. "The [verb]ing".
The use of this format for titling Horror Films is sometimes parodied, and is usually a good indicator that the film is very definitely a B-Grade one. It's also a very easy way to give your sequel a memorable subtitle.
- The Awakening
- The Burning
- The Conjuring
- The Crossing
- The Happening
- The Haunting (1963)
- Highlander II: The Quickening
- The Howling
- The Killing
- The Missing
- The Outing
- Piranha Part Two: The Spawning
- The Reaping
- The Reckoning (multiple movies with this title)
- The Shining
- The Shooting
- The Unearthling
- The Vanishing
- The Wailing
- Ruthlessly parodied in season 3 of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, with such episode titles as "The Shaving", "The Cubing", and of course, "The The".
- Dexter's Laboratory: "The Laughing" involves Dexter turning into a "were-clown".
- The Simpsons
- Invader Zim: "The Wettening" involves Dib tormenting Zim with water balloons when he discovers Earth's water is toxic to Irkens.
- Futurama: "The Honking" has Bender getting attacked by a "were-car".
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: The season 6 premiere consists of "The Crystalling, Part 1", and "The Crystalling, Part 2". The eponymous Crystalling is a form of christening ceremony for Shining Armor and Princess Cadance's new baby.
- Since about all episode titles of The Amazing World of Gumball begin with "The", it's almost surprising that this doesn't happen more often. There are a handful examples, however: