The Haunting is a video series created by Youtuber Mark Apsolon. The first video was uploaded onto his main channel on May 5, 2009, and the last one in the main series was uploaded on December 21, 2012. Since then, he has been uploading scenes not used in the final product as "Lost Tapes", and a second series of videos in the main storyline.
The Haunting was first filmed as just a series of ghost sightings a man got on camera, which he then decided to upload to youtube, with titles such as "Ghost Caught on Camera", before the name of the series. However, as the series got longer, it gained a storyline, expanding on the backstory of the spirits and their goals. It was still filmed and uploaded in the same format, however.
Despite the format, which some people may find discouraging to the quality of the series, the plot gets very interesting around the second 10 videos, and by the last couple, it is very interesting, complex, and frightening.
A playlist of all of the videos in the main series in order of upload can be found here.
The Haunting contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Lamashtu.
- Cosmic Horror Story: Becomes one of these after the main character finds the bottle broken.
- Found Footage: It was filmed in this style.
- Haunted House: The house the first 28 entries took place in was built on the same spot as another home that the spirits had previously lived in.
- Hell Is That Noise: The metallic sound that starts around video #30, in universe. The main character describes it as a pressure that crushes him while he can hear it.
- Lampshade Hanging: In almost every video, there are stretches where the camera pans back and forth, with the ghost appearing and disappearing between pans. In Tape 18, the protagonist directly references this.
- No Name Given: We never learn the main character's name.
- Poltergeist: The ghost seems like one of these at first.
- Staircase Tumble: Madeline drags the main character up and down the stairs several times in video 41.2.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The main character's girlfriend/wife appears a couple times in the beginning, once more about halfway through, and never again. She is mentioned though. Also, Sophia never seems to be mentioned after the main character finds out about the cult of Lamashtu.