Sugou: (chuckles sinisterly) She smells like innocence...!
When a character audibly sniffs another character, indicating they have an unhealthy and often very creepy attraction to them. Usually smelling hair or discarded articles of clothing.
- Krillin sniffs a diamond that was in Bulma's crotch in Dragon Ball. Which doesn't make sense due to Krillin having no nose and is mainly done for sake of funny.
- Wataru did it to Isumi's stole in Hayate the Combat Butler.
- In the Street Fighter manga, E.Honda takes advantage of having Chun-Li locked in a grab to sniff her. She is not pleased.
- Kosukegawa sniffs Motoko's bra (which snapped when Motoko's Split Personality Mikiri took over her body) in Change 123.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!: Jack Rakan and Chamo at least had an excuse.
- When Outlaw Star: Gene first fights Suzuka, he makes her stumble by grabbing her sash. It comes off and he proceeds to unabashedly sniff it, much to Suzuka's embarassment.
- Black Butler II: In the first episode Alois basically flirts with Sebastian via leaning into him and smelling him, pronouncing that he "smells good".
- In Koharu No Hibi Koharu does this in regards to Akira who she's Yandere for and doesn't want to forget his smell.
- In chapter 14 a top No. 6 official sniffs Dogkeeper's neck (instead of resorting to Lecherous Licking like in the anime) because he thinks she's a prostitute much to her disgust.
- Fruits Basket: In episode 5 there's a rather funny scene where Shigure sniffs a strawberry decorated towel that Tohru left behind. Yuki and Kyou beat him up upon seeing this.
- In Hekikai No Aion, Sheila smells Tatsuya's necktie when she's all alone in the infirmary. Hilarity Ensues when Tatsuya enters.
- In Sukisho episode 2 Yoru smells the perfume that Ran applied (he was forced to dress up as a princess).
- Persona 4: The Animation has one of Shadow Kanji's beefcake compatriots taking a deep whiff of Chie. This understandably creeps her out.
- Tsukiyama Shuu from Tokyo Ghoul does this to Kaneki on multiple occasions. While there is some justification in that Ghouls have keener senses than humans and others had commented on Kaneki's unusual scent, Tsukiyama takes it to entirely different levels and beyond. After getting some of Kaneki's blood on a handkerchief, he keeps it in a plastic bag for months and periodically takes it out and huffs it like a junkie.
- Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches: Yamada does this to his own body when he has swapped bodies with Shiraishi, and she shines up his body with some beauty products. Also does it to Odagiri when she hugs him.
- Tohru does this with one of Kobayashi's shirts in chapter 3 of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Of course, she was sniffing a shirt that she had just finished washing, so there wasn't any scent left.
- In Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Beltorchika does this to the famous Amuro Ray shortly after she meets him, with the excuse that he uses her favorite soap.
- Sword Art Online: Kirito and the audience first discover Sugou Nobuyuki's true colors when, after Asuna's father leaves her hospital room, he sniffs the comatose Asuna's hair. Taken Up to Eleven when we discover he went so far as to recreate Asuna's real-life scent in ALO.
Sugou: And don't even get me started on how... hard it was to get an analyzer into your hospital room undetected.
- Aku no Hana: Kickstarts the plot. Nakamura catches Kasuga sniffing his crush Saeki's clothes, and proceeds to blackmail him.
- In Sarazanmai, a flashback shows Enta covertly sniffing Kazuki's gymn clothes, revealing that he's attracted to him.
- In the Cardcaptor Sakura fic Shadow of the Dragon, Syaoran succumbs to temptation while waiting for Sakura to finish getting ready for a shopping trip and sniffs the panties she had worn to bed. Unfortunately, Sakura reenters the room and catches him in the act.
- In the WD Zorro fanfic The Eagle's Gaze, the antagonist does this to Esperanza... twice...
- In The Ultimate Evil (an Alternate Universe Fic about Jackie Chan Adventures), Shendu does this a few times to Valerie. At one point he's enjoying the remains of her scent on the book she had hidden in her trousers.
- Advice and Trust: Prior to the two of them hooking up, Asuka had stolen one of Shinji's sleep-shirts for this purpose. She later ended up using it as a security blanket of sorts after a particularly bad nightmare (Misato was forcing the two of them to sleep in separate beds at the time, so she couldn't hug Shinji for comfort).
His scent... she couldn't have him next to her right now, but she could still fall asleep with his smell there. Maybe that would extend a little of its protective power.
- Sword Art Online Abridged plays Sugou's sniffing fetish dead seriously, like in the source anime. Kirito, on the other hand, openly calls him on it... among other things.
- Frollo sniffs Esmeralda's hair in the Disney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Esmeralda: What are you doing?
Frollo: I was just imagining a rope around that beautiful neck.
Esmeralda: (breaks his grip) I know what you were imagining!
Frollo: Such a clever witch. So typical of your kind to twist the truth. To cloud the mind with unholy thoughts.
- Don Juan from The Legend of the Titanic continually sniffs Elizabeth's glove.
- Alec Trevalyen does this to Natalya in Goldeneye.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark: When the tramp steamer captain is trying to bluff the Nazis into thinking he killed Indiana Jones in order to get Marion, he takes a lock of her hair and sniffs it.
- During a party scene in The Dark Knight The Joker circles around Rachel and appears to sniff her.
- The elevator scene in Final Destination 2.
- Occurs with Clu to Quorra in TRON: Legacy.
- Paul Gallier does this to his estranged sister Irena in Cat People (1982 remake). However, they are, of course werecats and it's a part of their animalistic bonding ritual. Paul wants Irena to be his mate.
- Debbie in Devil in the Flesh a dangerous Stalker with a Crush for her teacher sneaks around his house at one point and sniffs his shirts in his closet.
- Ever After: Monsieur le Peu sniffs Danielle's hair after he buys her.
- Harry Potter: Scabior, the head Snatcher in Deathly Hallows to Hermione. After he captures Hermione, he calls her "My lovely" and sniffs her hair.
- Blade Runner: While Priss is in J.F. Sebastian's apartment, she sniffs him while he's sleeping. She had acted (and would later act) in a seductive way toward him.
- In A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) remake, Freddy sniffs Nancy during a nightmare she's having.
- Serenity: It's more a case of Cloud Cuckoo Lander than attraction, but in the background of the video Kaylee shoots of Inara leaving her shuttle, River can be seen quite deliberately sniffing Inara's bed.
- James Bond himself sniffs Miss Taro's towel in Dr. No after he surprises her by making it to her apartment alive and she goes to pick up the telephone.
- X-Men: Apocalypse: In this commercial, Quicksilver smells the hair of a female student at Xavier's school that he's infatuated with.
- The Mountie: While searching Amethyst's tent, Damoslav sniffs her underwear.
- In Dragon Bones, Tisala sniffs Ward's clothes. It comes across as rather romantic, as she is in love with him, and he with her, and not very perverted, as he has, always the gentleman, invited her to use his bedroom, including the bed, as it is one of the few actual rooms in his place. So she's not invading his personal space, he has invited her in.
- Lolita: After Dolores is packed off to summer camp, a depressed Humbert throws himself into a pile of her clothes in her bedroom, quickly disentangling himself when the maid comes upstairs with a message. This scene is shown in the 1997 film adaptation (the 1962 Stanley Kubrick film has Humbert sniffing her pillow instead).
- Invoked in Red Dwarf with a Noodle Incident that inspired Space Corp Directive 196156:
"Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the exercise bicycle in the women's gym will be discharged without trial."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- In the episode "Shadow", Spike enters Buffy's room while she's not home and sniffs one of her sweaters; when confronted, he claims it's a "predator thing."
- In "The Pack" Xander is possessed by the spirit of a hyena and starts sniffing Buffy's hair, a prelude to his Attempted Rape later on.
- And the situation is reversed in "Beer Bad" when Buffy becomes a Nubile Savage and starts sniffing Xander. Made even more triangular when, at the end of the episode, Willow is seated on a park bench with Buffy crouched next to her and Buffy sniffs her hair as well.
- A sign of Angel's breakdown in Season 2 when Darla has been giving him Erotic Dreams — at one stage he's standing behind Cordelia and starts sniffing her hair, causing her to run off. "Personal space bubble!"
- Mad TV: In the first "Can I Have Your Number" sketch, Darrel at one point sniffs the girl he's hitting on.
- A character on Victorious has done this to Tori, Jade, and the principal of their school.
- Two and a Half Men: Charlie did this in the beginning of "No Sniffing, No Wowing" to one of the paralegals.
- Papa Lazarou in The League of Gentlemen once sniffed a lady's hair.
- Boardwalk Empire: Agent Van Alden is so obsessed with Margaret Schroeder that he once stole and sniffed her hair ribbon.
- Oz: Keller once smells his boyfriend Beecher in "A Cock and Balls Story" and says that he "Smells Sexy". (The smell being Beecher's father's aftershave.)
- Niles in Frasier likes to sniff Daphne's hair (when he's not going with the Longing Look), though of the non-perverted variety.
- Alexander the Great sniffs his general's (presumably Hephaistion, Alexander's historical lover) hair in Horrible Histories's "Alexandria" sketch as a Throw It In! by the actor. Note that Horrible Histories is a family show.
- On iCarly, Freddie smells Shelby Marx's hair when she hugs him.
- Heroes: Sylar does this to Claire once he manages to get her separated from Nathan and Peter. Claire is very much not amused.
Sylar: [after sniffing her hair] God, this is so much fun.
- Hannibal: The title character does this to Will Graham multiple times. Of course, he has Super Senses and is a cannibal, but he's a lot subtler about it with other people.
- Lampshaded in the promotional material. "Did you just smell me?"
- Game of Thrones: The Titan's Bastard has a good sniff at Missandei's groin as she pours him wine, making her very uncomfortable.
- CSI had an episode called 'The Panty Sniffer'. Someone decided to make money selling panties for this kind of thing.
- In Orange Is the New Black a criminal sniffs Piper's underwear that she gives him in return for the favor of passing a note to her girlfriend Alex. Piper later uses that as incentive to sell used panties to perverted guys to make a profit.
- In the Smallville episode "Visage", Tina Greer sniffs Lana's underwear at one point.
- Lucifer. In "Candy Morningstar", Maze sniffs an erotic dancer that Lucifer has hooked up with, after blatantly checking out her ass.
- In the third season episode of The Sopranos entitled "Second Opinion", newly "made" man Christopher Moltisanti receives a surprise, late night visit at his apartment from his immediate superior in the crime family Paulie Walnuts and Patsy Parisi. The two gangsters comb through Chris and his girlfriend Adriana's belongings to cherry-pick Christopher's stolen swag. Chris catches Paulie taking a mighty sniff of a pair of panties from Adriana's lingerie drawer.
- In the "A New Life" mission of Hitman: Blood Money, one of your options for taking out the bodyguards is pouring a bottle of ether on Vinnie's daughter's underwear, since one of the agents guarding Vinnie is a pervert who likes to sniff them.
- In Bravest Warriors, Danny sniffs the pillow that Plum was sitting on.
- Homestuck has Terezi, a blind troll who uses her advanced smelling and licking abilities to see and whop massive amounts of ass with her cane.
- Super Effective: Blue/Douche takes his Catchphrase "smell ya later" too literally.
- In Unsounded, resident Jerkass Starfish molests and nearly kidnaps a tied up and helpless Sette before being driven off by another character, but tears free a chunk of her hair in the process and creepily sniffs it as he retreats, remarking to himself that he knew that the victim would 'fancy' him. (She doesn't.)
- This◊ popular image macro depicts Judas apparently sniffing Jesus and Jesus objecting that it's gay. The text◊ has◊ appeared◊ on◊ other◊ images◊.
- In the Random Encounters video "Senpai Notice Me" Yandere-chan sings about how she loves to smell her Senpai's clothes. For some context: she hid herself in some towels to grab his jacket after he stripped naked for a shower.
- Family Guy:
- Quagmire sniffs a lady's shoe.
- Herbert tells God all he wants is one sniff of Chris' cap. Along comes a gust of wind, and Herbert's wish is fulfilled... except now he wants more.
- Brian performs the normal "dog sniffing another dog's rear" greeting, but being "more person than dog", everyone looks at him like he's a perv.
- In Hey Arnold!, Curly spends one episode trying to do this to Rhonda.
- In the movie, Helga talks about how much she loves doing this to Arnold, and later on in the movie, actually does it.
- Total Drama: Cody does this to Gwen in one episode. She is understandably disgusted.
Cody: You just smell really pretty.
Gwen: It's just... soap.
- In Gravity Falls, Gideon does this while hugging Mabel in "Gideon Rises".
Mabel: Are you sniffing my hair?
- Australian politician Troy Buswell got in trouble after he sniffed a female colleague's chair.
- The "Dear Prudence" advice column frequently gets letters from women distressed to find their used underwear having been swiped by a random male for this purpose. Or examples of the above—being shocked to find a man sniffing a seat that they've vacated.