Characters find themselves locked out of their domiciles, which would make for a considerably less socially awkward situation if not for their also being nude. Hilarity Ensues, because Naked People Are Funny.
Note that the characters in question don't necessarily have to be naked; in their underwear or a bathrobe is close enough. The Rule of Funny here is based on the awkward situation more than it is the actual nudity. Well, most of the time.
When they manage to get back in, they may find a Birthday Suit Surprise Party or make a Naked First Impression. Can be started off by Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen. Sometimes involves the use of a Scenery Censor, as in the page image, or Hand-or-Object Underwear. Makes a bit less sense when it's Fully-Clothed Nudity.
If a character keeps getting into this kind of predicament for some reason, she's probably the Reluctant Fanservice Girl.
Inverted with Open the Door and See All the People, where the naked character is inside and discovers a mob of observers outside.
- This happened briefly in a 2003 McDonald's commercial, of all things. A young woman is seen topless and in her underwear, covered only by a pile of dirty clothes she's holding in her arms, as she gets locked out of her apartment building when she goes to check her mail. She sneaks back inside when an elderly neighbor goes to check his own mail.
- One commercial for a hotel (Caesar's in Vegas) has a man locked out of his hotel room in his bathrobe. He manages to still buy clothes and pick up a beautiful woman... only to get into an awkward situation when the woman wants to come to his room.
- Subverted twice in a Special K cereal commercial. A woman is at the beach when her sarong is blown off by the wind. Rather than freak out or hide, she continues walking, and reaction-shots and glimpses of her figure suggest she's parading naked, unashamed. The final shot reveals she's actually wearing a bathing suit, which the previous glimpses of skin had strategically avoided.
- A 1991 BVD underwear ad features a man locked out of his hotel room wearing only white BVD briefs.
- An Australian ad for Holeproof underwear had a man stepping through a curtain into what he thought was a change room in a department store. After he has started undressing, he suddenly realises that he is standing in the department store window in nothing but his underwear.
- A foreign soda commercial has a woman in her apartment who just finished a bath or shower. Something at the door gets her attention, she looks out the door's peephole and notices a box of soda. She steps outside and the door closes, snagging her towel. She tries to pull her towel out but its stuck in the door. She covers her lady parts and hides behind a corner. Two men leave the apartment behind her and causing her some embarrassment, but she immediately shakes it off and the last scene ends with her sitting on the floor outside her apartment (presumably having explained her situation to the men as they get someone to help her) happily drinking a soda while using the box and other soda bottles to cover herself.
- A Beechies gum commercial sees a guy having to take off from his girlfriend's house naked, riding around town fully nude on his moped.
- Due to the nature of the show, the title character in Maicchingu Machiko-sensei finds herself naked outside or in public quite a bit. This trope is averted in that usually, many people end up seeing her.
- Ben Elton has a comedy routine about locking himself out of his room naked in a share house. He also has a routine about almost locking himself out of his room naked.
Elton: ... and I just managed to make it back in before the door closed and this would have made a really great story if I hadn't!
- Dara Ó Briain has a story about this in one of his standup shows. It didn't happen to him, but it did happen to someone who he had worked with while on tour who had locked himself out of his hotel room and found his way to Dara's room.
So then you're there with a guy you kinda know, trying not to look at his nipples.
- X-Men heroine Jean Grey's bouts with the Dark Phoenix occasionally led to her clothes being burned off, such as in the original Dark Phoenix Saga, outside her childhood home no less.
- A "Lighter Side of..." strip in MAD had a woman get locked outside in her underwear. Forced to go across town to get the spare key from her mother, she jogs alongside her friend and nobody bats an eyelid, assuming that it is jogging outfit.
- A rather cruel combination of Shameful Strip and Naked People Are Funny that resulted in a slight reversal of this trope had DC hero Firestorm stop crazy terrorist Plastique, who was planning to blow up a building of innocent people with bombs that were attached to her costume, by deatomizing her clothes to get the bombs off her - and then he left her in the building - or near it - completely naked and suffering severe sexual humiliation as her almost victims began laughing at her and her feeble attempt to cover herself.
- In the second issue of the Italian comic book La Donna Invisibile, the Invisible Streaker heroine, Nadine Roland, has to hide behind a bush just before her 15 minutes of invisibility expire.
- In Garfield, it happens to Jon fairly frequently. Once Garfield locked Jon out while he was wearing his bunny footie pajamas, and at least one other time while in a bathrobe. Or Jon got locked outside when he went for his newspaper.
Jon: Garfield! Help! I locked myself outside getting the newspaper! I'm not wearing any pants! I'm wearing the puppy underwear!"Garfield: Then use the puppy door!
- Liberty Meadows Jen seduces and strips Frank, only to toss him outside and lock the door leading to a number of awkward and embarrassing situations.
- Sunset Shimmer in the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls fanfic Sunset Shimmer's Naked Mile, who after getting locked in the shower tries to escape by using a window near the ceiling, however as her towel fell down as she made her way out, she briefly finds herself naked outside the school.
- In You Call That a Costume?, it's mentioned that the Rainbooms once got arrested for public nudity when an Invisibility spell went wrong.
- In the Miraculous Ladybug fanfic The Naked Truth, both Adrien and Marinette are bathing when there's an Akuma attack, and neither think to stop and get dressed before transforming. Thus when their transformations wear off, they're stuck naked and hiding in an alleyway until Tikki and Plagg can go to get help from Master Fu.
- The New Adventures of Invader Zim: The plot of the third entry in the non-canon spinoff New Adventures: Mature Edition is kicked off by Gaz pranking Dib via tricking him into running out of the shower and straight out of the house, before locking him out and calling the cops on him for streaking. Karma kicks in at the end, when circumstances lead to Professor Membrane's lab security systems stripping Gaz and dumping her outside the locked house, just in time to be arrested by the cops she called.
- Ecstasy: Eva rides her horse to the lake to go skinnydipping. Eva puts her clothes on the horse. Her untethered horse trots away. Eva had a little adventure, trying to catch her horse.
- Something similar happens in the infamous French Made-for-TV Movie La Venus A Lulu. Lulu, a nudist, is sleeping in a camper trailer when her husband stops to change a tire. Thinking she's arrived at the clothing-optional resort they are going to visit, she sleepwalks out into the countryside, where she falls back asleep. She spends the rest of the film hiding from people in the altogether (with a plotting little boy acting like he doesn't understand her pleas for clothes) while her mere presence in the village advances the plot — namely, the little boy finally grows up, the village baker finally works things out with his wife, etc., etc. Oh, and Scenery Censor is completely and utterly averted.
- This happens to Inspector Clouseau and Maria Gambreli in A Shot in the Dark.
- There's a scene in Yi Yi in which a man is locked out of his house in his underwear after an argument with his wife, and he has to stay overnight at his former girlfriend's place (who relished the irony).
- Charlie's Angels (2000) has Dylan, dressed only in a Modesty Bedsheet after getting shot out of a window by her traitorous boyfriend, rolling into a family's backyard in order to obtain clothes.
- Poor Mary loses her bathrobe when George accidentally steps on it in It's a Wonderful Life. She hides in a bush, while he debates whether or not he should give it back.
- In Roxanne, Roxanne gets locked outside in her bathrobe, but her bathrobe is caught in the door. She has to go for help naked. She is briefly seen covering her breasts and crotch with her arm and hand.
- Not socially awkward, but in the The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film, the resident Invisible Man meets the rest of the team outside of a cave in Siberia then cuts short their questions with "And might I remind you, I'm naked in the snow!" before heading into the cave.
- '80s Hongkong farce where two professional con artists not only fail to get into this woman's pants, but wind up outside in just their boxers And when they demand to be let back in:
- In the third Police Academy film, Proctor is tricked by a prostitute (hired by Mahoney's troupe) into locking himself outside a hotel room during the police ball. Instead of asking for help from anyone in attendance, he escapes the hotel, steals a car, and winds up at the Blue Oyster Bar, where he's received with open arms.
- A rather squicky example: Dr. Jekyll & Ms. Hyde includes a scene where the protagonist reverts to his male self while his female self is trying to seduce his boss. She hastily retreats into the bathroom before the transformation is complete, where he finds himself in skimpy lingerie and tries to exit via the window. The lingerie gets ripped off when he falls from the windowsill.
- The protagonist of An American Werewolf in London wakes up from his first transformation stark naked in the London Zoo's wolf enclosure. The wolves aren't fazed, but David has to dodge or fast-talk his way across half of London, stealing whatever Object Underwear he can to get back to Nurse Price's flat.
- The female lead of I Love Trouble, played by Julia Roberts, goes skinny dipping at one point and is then photographed by a group of boy scouts after she emerges nude from the lake.
- The Hairy Bird: A few of the boys from St. Ambrose Academy are stripped, bound, and gagged by the Flat Critters.
- In Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, Alan loses his trousers and underpants while wriggling out through a window. Before he can retrieve them, he is confronted by an armed police officer and a paparazzo.
- H.O.T.S.: John and Cynthia are having sex in his van when the H.O.T.S girls steal their clothes, tape the van shut and tow it away with them in it. The naked couple finally escapes from the van on the front lawn of the school.
- Happens to Lucy Hale in A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song. Her stepbrother traps her outside with no clothes and no towel. She uses a potted plant to cover herself but it breaks and she ends up wearing a welcome mat.
- There's an Australian short film called Gotcha about a boy who likes to play pranks on people. His sister gets her revenge by turning off the water while he's in the shower. He goes outside to turn the water back on but the front door slams shut behind him. While trying to get back in the house, he loses his towel and gets covered in gray paint. When a neighbor steps outside to see what the commotion is, he poses as a statue in her garden.
- Two Brazilian films (one from 1968, the other being its 1997 remake) called O Homem Nu (literally, "The Naked Man"), based on a chronicle from the homonymous book of Fernando Sabino, has this trope as the very premise of its plot, as the title indicates. A man goes naked to get a loaf of bread left at his door, then the wind slams the door, trapping him outside. Neighbours appear and he has to run. Near the end of the movie, he gets his clothes back, but then the man with whom his wife was cheating him is trapped naked outside, then mistook for the protagonist by the people who were chasing him.
- Rush Hour 2 has Lee and Carter captured by gangsters and forced out of a car naked in the middle of Hong Kong, forcing them to use Hand-or-Object Underwear until they finally make it back to Lee's office to redress.
- In the Pippi Longstocking movie Pippi On the Run, Tommy and Anika strip all their clothes save their white briefs to swim in a bay of water and leave their clothes unattended on top of a rock where an ox devours them. The two start fearing being seen nude by the public, but then Pippi improvises by supplying them with sacks and then she puts on a stunt show for citizens to watch and pay their loose change, allowing Tommy and Anika to buy new clothes at a shop.
- In Killer Party, Virgil sabotages the backdoor of the sorority house so it won't open. The frat boys then release angry bees into the backyard, driving the naked sorority girls out of the hot tub. Discovering the backdoor won't open, the girls have to run around to the front, where the frat boys are seated with refreshments.
- In the French film A boire, Emmanuelle Beart falls off a balcony, ripping off her towel in the process, and lands fully naked in the freezing cold snow, having to steal a blanket to stay warm and preserve her modesty.
- In The Name of the Wind, Kvothe fakes this trope — he's been living as a beggar and he just came into some money, and he figures that pretending to be a nobleman who got his clothing stolen is easier than pretending to be a noble while wearing any clothing that he owns.
- Invoked in Puss in Boots: Puss has arranged so that it looks like his poor master is the local nobleman, but what to do about his lack of decent clothes? He simply instructs his master to take a bath in the river, and when the king passes by explains to him that somebody stole his master's clothes while he was swimming. The king provides the kid with some fancy duds for when he meets the princess, who instantly falls in love with him.
- In the famous 1920s Soviet satirical novel The Twelve Chairs, a character runs out of his flat naked (he was taking a bath), and the door slams shut.
- Half of a great story from Wraith Squadron. When the XO responds with something about how he should go and cover up the project's "shortcomings."
Face: So here I am stark naked, locked out of my quarters, running around the corridors looking for a towel, a rag, anything, and I turn the corner and bump right into the executive officer. He has about the same sense of humor as a Wookie with a rash. So I throw my best salute and say, "Major, I regret to report only partial success with the Personal Cloaking Device."
- Griffin, the title character of H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, is on the run from the law in the snowy English countryside. The poor man can't put on clothing, or people will notice him, leaving him literally out in the cold.
- Erotic author Lia Anderssen has this as a reoccurring theme in all her books. Every single one of her novels involves a heroine losing her clothing, being trapped outside, and quickly blackmailed into a situation where she never gets her clothing back.
- The Time Traveler's Wife. Considering Henry can't take anything with him when he (involuntarily) time travels, including clothes, this happens to him on a regular basis.
- He's only half-naked, but Michael sneaks out in only a shirt and boots once in the Knight and Rogue Series and doesn't make it back before everyone wakes up.
- This starts the action in Bock Cole's The Goats. In a summer camp hazing ritual, the kids take an unpopular boy and girl, strip them naked, and leave them on an island within the campsite. Rather than wait around to be humiliated further, the two flee the camp, steal some clothes, and try to live as runaways.
- In Bruce Coville's The Monster's Ring, Russell uses the ring wrong and gets Shapeshifter Mode Locked. He eventually gets back to the magic shop, has Mr. Elives fix things and wakes up the next morning as a human...but also naked. Also, Mr. Elives makes it clear that he has to leave and no, Russel's lack of clothes is not his problem. Fortunately it's very early morning, and he manages to race back home mostly unseen. (He tells his parents some older kids stole his clothes and burned them as a prank.)
- The Three Musketeers has one sequence where D'Artagnan has pulled a Bed Trick on a woman. She discovers it while they're cuddling and gets murderous. He's forced to barricade himself in her maid's room, borrow a dress, and flee in drag.
- Henderson Dores from Stars and Bars manages to break out of his hostages' furnishing room, bare-naked, walking down the streets till he finds a cardboard box to wrap in.
- Chris from Skins gets locked out of his house naked by some random person after waking up from a night of drugs and partying.
- On Cheers, Rebecca accidentally locked herself out of a hotel room wearing only a towel, which was caught in the door.
- In an episode of Frasier, Roz lures Bulldog into one of these situations by pretending she's interested in him. (It's punishment for Bulldog scaring Roz's dates away.)
- On the short-lived NBC show, Fired Up, the female protagonists threw out a man naked who was dating both of them at the same time.
- Happened to Mr. Bean in a hotel. Got locked out his room while naked.
- On The Jeff Foxworthy Show, Jeff and his brother, Wayne, make a bet where the loser has to run around the block in only a pair of clown shoes. Jeff's brother loses a bet. Fortunately for Wayne, Jeff lets him run at night after everyone is inside (but not asleep). Unfortunately for Wayne, after Wayne starts his (off-screen) run, Jeff puts Wayne's clothes inside and pulls a bullhorn out of the closet and yells into it: "Attention, ladies and gentlemen, there is a naked streaker running around just outside your doors. Yes, he is naked, naked, naked. Good luck finding your clothes, Wayne." Jeff then goes back inside and locks the door.
- In Primeval Episode 22, an unfortunate man gets tied up outside wearing boxers and a bra as part of a stag do prank.
- In an episode of the Australian kids' show Bananas in Pyjamas, the title characters get stuck outside after putting their pyjamas in the wash. In a twist on the usual, they don't have any other clothes to put on, so they try to steal the other characters' washing to cover themselves.
- An episode of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody has Zack lock Cody out of their hotel suite naked...twice.
- The Fosters: In the Grand Finale, Stef and Lena wind up stranded outside a seaside resort naked after Skinny Dipping in the ocean leaving their robes on the beach for an oblivious resort worker to pick up as well as their room key. They resort to Streaking across the resort property while covering their fronts with palm fronds until they find some Modesty Towels.
- In an episode of Caroline in the City, one of the male co-stars is trapped naked on the balcony of Caroline's apartment, allowing her neighbor Annie to tease him about the effects of the cold weather on his anatomy.
- On Gossip Girl, Jenny gets even with Chuck during a Masquerade Ball by making him think she wants to sleep with him. Instead, he ends up locked out on a roof in just his underwear. Chuck, being Chuck, seems to be impressed rather than angry.
Chuck: Little Jenny Humphrey manages to get my pants off and have me not enjoy it. Quite the accomplishment.
- On 30 Rock, Jenna tried to get revenge on Frank and Toofer in the same manner as the Gossip Girl example. Frank fell for it, but Toofer didn't.
- In How I Met Your Mother, Barney, Ted and Robin's date all try to sleep with their respective one-night-stands by pulling a move known as 'the Naked Man', in which they wait naked for their target, who is then compelled to have sex with them. Ted and Robin's guy both succeed... and Barney is kicked out of his hook-up's apartment completely naked, in the middle of the night, in the streets of New York. He actually has an opportunity to put some clothes on when he comes across a rack of on-sale suits on the street, but deems them too low-quality, preferring to remain naked.
- In one episode of Mad About You, Jamie was wearing a towel in a Women's Gym locker room. Another woman gave her the wrong directions and she walked out the fire exit. Meanwhile, Paul was experimenting with Viagra. And for some reason they decided to meet at the top of the Empire State Building.
- Jeremy from Misfits. He's sort of a werewolf (okay...he doesn't change physically into a wolf, he changes mentally into a dog, so even if he could possibly be classified as a werewolf he's still the lamest one who ever lived) and he wakes up naked in the street on a regular basis. Sadly, he gets found by his exceptionally unsympathetic step-son:
Nathan: George Michael gets away with this shit, but he used to be in Wham! Who are YOU?!
- In one episode of Sex and the City, Samantha decides to spice things up with her firefighter boyfriend by having sex in the fire engine bay. Mid-coitus, the company responds to a call, leaving Samantha exposed with the bay door open and the inside doors locked.
- On one episode of Three's Company, Janet and Mrs. Roper took part in a nude protest at the beach. When the cops broke it up, they ran for it and are seen hiding in the bushes outside the apartment building.
- He's not technically "locked out" (though it would be an extremely bad idea for him to go back in), but in Breaking Bad the first time we see Jesse Pinkman he's only partially clothed and escaping from an upper story window while Hank, Gomie, and the other DEA agents are next door in the process of arresting his partner.
- In Desperate Housewives episode "Pretty Little Picture", Susan ends up naked in front of her house when her towel gets stuck in Karl's car door. He drives off and leaves Susan behind naked. She panics and runs toward her house which is locked and secretly tries to get back in before someone catches her. She holds a potted plant in front of her body and tries the back door, which is locked as well. Then she tries to climb to the window but falls into her bushes and is discovered by Mike who helps her out and manages to get her back into the house by jimmying a window.
- One episode of the anthology series Worst Day of My Life has the protagonist accidentally locked out of his house wearing only a towel (which he then loses). Hilarity Ensues as he tries to get back inside before anyone sees him.
- The Theory of a Deadman song, "Little Smirk":
I locked you out, left you naked in the front yard
Burned all of your clothes having nothing can be really hard
- One of Frank Muir's stories on My Word involved him going to a laundromat in the early hours of the morning and, while he was there, deciding to wash the clothes he was wearing as well. Inevitably, he ends up locked out of the laundromat in the altogether.
- In Paper Mario, this is how Mario first meets party member Kooper the Koopa. An army of Fuzzies have invaded Koopa Village, and they've stolen Kooper's shell. He hides behind a bush until you reclaim it for him, at which point he joins you. Technically he's not naked, since he and all other Koopas wear a shirt underneath their shells, but they all still would prefer not to be seen without them.
- Happens twice in Dead Rising 2, of all things. One girl is a mermaid performer who has gone commando under her costume tailfin and insists that you carry her to safety. Another is a woman who locked herself out of her hotel room semi-naked and insists that you strip down to your boxers before she'll follow you.
- Being naked outside of a locked room is made into a Running Gag in the video game Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail!.
- In SwordCat Princess, immortal Kathryn regenerates, growing a new (naked) body after her head gets separated from her previous body. She is then stared at by dumbfounded cops before they chase her into an alley.
- Happens to Ethan in Ctrl+Alt+Del, after he attempts to surprise his then-girlfriend Lilah following her tournament. When she sees he's been wandering around naked, it makes her angry enough to go from losing to crushing the competition.
- Deliberately invoked by Ed Lincoln against his sister in Between Failures. When she makes off with his DS, he chases her out of the apartment and refuses to let her back in until she "relinquishes her hostage". She relents when the awkward neighbor guy gets a photo of her in nothing but her panties.
- Chapter 10 of Dungeons & Denizens features a subplot about Min and Gazdar having respawned in Seidistika's office without clothes, and trying to get back to their rooms wearing only Modesty Bedsheets.
- In Concession, Thonnen's little cousins somehow get Roland outside and steal his boxer shorts to get him out of the way so that Valae can rape Thonnen.
- Invoked in Sunstone. Alan escapes a well-deserved smack across the face by utilizing the knowledge that no matter how angry Ally is with him, she will not chase him out into the street while dressed head to toe in fetish wear.
- Chapter 3.5 of Evon is devoted to the title character and Herodotus dealing with the consequences of Evon accidentally teleporting their clothes off at the end of Chapter 3.
- Transmission: Russ and Linda decide to spice up their Hawaiian honeymoon by having sex on a secluded beach, and carelessly leave their clothes too close to the shoreline. After they've finished, they realize that the tide came in and swept all their clothing away. They try to sneak back to their hotel without being noticed, but, unfortunately, don't even make it out of the parking lot.
- The first story of The Bare Pit begins with a character accidentally going out into public without remembering to get dressed first.
- In an episode of The Fairly Oddparents, Timmy wishes himself straight from the bath he's taking to the comic book store. His fairies oblige, but neglect to also magic up some clothes for him too and Timmy promptly gets mistaken for the Kid Hero "Naked Lad" by the people at the comic book store.
- The Simpsons:
- It apparently happened to Apu off camera in the episode "The Day the Violence Died". It apparently got him arrested, but two kids called Lester and Elisa (who creepily resemble the original drawings of Bart and Lisa) got him out.
- In the episode "Natural Born Kissers", Marge and Homer end up in this situation after engaging in some al fresco "snuggling" to spice up their sex life.
- Referenced in the Animaniacs song "A Quake, a Quake":
I ran outside with neighbors, their faces filled with shock
Mostly 'cause I'm standing there in nothing but my socks.
- In Tiny Toon Adventures, this happened to Hamton when he went skinny-dipping in Montana Max's pool (at Plucky's urging) in "A Bacon Strip".
- Sandy and her fashion club, minus Quinn, of Daria are stuck outside in their swimsuits because the door is locked and they couldn't handle the hot tub any longer.
- Code Lyoko has Season 4 episode "Bad Connection" starting with Ulrich locked outside of his room in nothing save for a bath towel.
- Happens in Ed, Edd n Eddy in the episode "Pop Goes the Ed" when they're trapped in a kiddie pool at a party after their bathing suits fly off and they spend the whole day hiding in an inflatable pool missing out on cake and party games. It happens again in "See No Ed" when Eddy rips off his, Ed's and Edd's clothes off to look for their hand-drawn monkey mask.
Edd: Eddy, I can't find my underwear!
- In the "Flight as a Feather" episode of The Mask a crazed stripper, Cookie BaBoom, who had an affair with Mayor Tilton, tries to blow him up with dynamite strapped to her body, which the Mask foils by yanking it off while sending her into a swirl spin. When the cops come for the Mask, he stops Cookie's spinning and distracts the cops by exposing her very attractive nude body.
- An episode of Jimmy Two-Shoes had Jimmy taking advantage of the town's Temporary Blindness to do whatever he wanted, which included skinny dipping in the town's fountain. Guess when the blindness wore off.
- The 2013 Mickey Mouse short "No Service" has Mickey surrender his trademark red shorts, yellow shoes, and white gloves to Donald so he can order food from Goofy's Snack Shack due to the restaurant's No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service policy. As a result, Mickey is forced to stay outside the restaurant naked, trying not to let Minnie and Daisy see him. Eventually, Donald gets kicked out of the restaurant for trying to pay for the food with Mickey's I.D., and he loses Mickey's clothes as well as his own, all of which Mickey promptly puts on. Donald lands next to Minnie and Daisy, and the latter even chastises him for public nudity.
- In Garfield and Friends, an incompetent fairy makes it so that any resident of the Arbuckle home who makes a wish has it granted. At some point during this period, Jon is singing "Dixie" in the shower and soon finds himself naked in Dixie Land. He only gets out of it because, during questioning, he wishes he was home.
- Underwear example: In the The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius episode "When Pants Attack", Jimmy, Carl, Sheen, and Cindy are left briefly outside the school in their underwear after Jimmy's latest invention animates their pants and causes them to run away. Downplayed, however, in that Jimmy is only laughed at by the other three and two background characters, and the other three are only embarrassed for about a minute. They spend most of the episode in their underwear and nobody is seen mocking them afterwards.
- In the Dexter's Laboratory episode "Streaky Clean", a Satellite Laser that was meant to remove stains from Dexter's clothes suddenly goes haywire and ends up burning off his entire outfit, at school nonetheless. He then has to make his way home, covering himself with a book.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Feral Friends" had this happen after Neptune's Moon ended its cycle and all the Bikini Bottomites who were transformed into non-anthropomorphic sea creatures returned to normal since their clothes were destroyed in the process of their transformations. While it's subverted with SpongeBob and Patrick because they're unfazed by their sudden nudity, it is played straight with everyone else seen naked (Larry the Lobster panics before using a flower to cover himself, while Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff, Squidward, and Pearl run away in embarrassment while covering themselves the instant it dawns on them that they are nude in public).
- On episode 33 of the Canadian series "Hoze Houndz," Squrt steals all of Steamer's underwear while Steamer is showering. Steamer, dressed in a towel and sandals, goes down to the beach to confront him about it. While Steamer is shaking Squirt by the neck, his towel falls off leaving him naked in front of a couple of girls, who promptly start laughing at him. Squirt points out Steamer's nudity and he quickly uses Squirt to cover himself. Then, rather than picking up his towel or any of the dozens of pairs of underwear around, Steamer runs off screaming. The very next scene, we hear a door open and shut at the firehouse and Steamer run through wearing nothing more than his sandals implying he streaked through the whole city to get there.
- We've seen just how big the city is in another episode. Steamer had a loooooooong way to run.
- In Camp Lazlo, the last episode "Lumpus's Last Stand" had Scoutmaster Lumpus discover that a lot of time can be saved if people stopped doing laundry and simply painted on their clothes. Everyone initially praises Lumpus as being a genius, but things go sour when it starts to rain and everyone has their painted clothes washed away, leaving them in the nude.
- Les Sisters: A downplayed example. Wendy goes to the mall to buy a dress and ends up being followed by Marine. Wendy, who at the moment is in her underwear in a changing room, orders her sister to go back home, and Marine complies, but accidentally ends up taking Wendy's clothes with her, leaving Wendy at the mall (which is on the other side of town from their house) in just her underwear and training bra. Wendy ends up having to wrap a curtain from the changing room around herself and walk all the way home like that.
- In the Lizzie episode "Operation Reptile Rescue!", Lizzie Green attempts to set free an alligator at the zoo, only to get trapped in the exhibit and left naked when the alligator takes her clothes. The rest of the short has her streaking in an attempt to meet up with her friends before getting tranquilized, coming to in time for her friends to let her know that the alligator was sent back to the wild and that everyone forgot about her ignominious misfortune.
- Truth in Television. Happens often in hotels and on cruise ships, where the door locks automatically behind you when you step out. Many a guest popping out to set out his room service has found himself outside in the nude or in underwear without a key card.
- A rather common occurrence in college dormitories, where one roommate is in the shower sans key and the other, assuming the first gone, asleep, or otherwise with their key, leaves and locks the door... Quite common even where students don't share rooms if you happen to be unlucky enough to have room doors that lock themselves upon being closed. Or if you're in the shower when the fire drill goes off.
- Suddenly realizing you're naked in public is a standard plotline for dreams of personal insecurity and humiliation.
- According to legend, President John Quincy Adams was fond of skinny-dipping in the Potomac. Supposedly, a female reporter seeking an interview with JQA found him and sat on his clothes until he agreed to talk to her. (She even screamed when he tried to leave without agreeing!)
- President Gerald Ford got himself locked outside with only his bathrobe on when walking the dog out in the early morning.
- Ashley Judd likes being "in a cathedral of trees and the sanctuary of canyons." Judd's love of nature led her to be locked out of her cabin at the Ahwahnee hotel in Yosemite without her clothes. Judd leaned outside her door trying to get her yoga mat when the door slammed behind her. She covered herself up with her yoga mat and went to the lobby to get a new key. It was only later that she realized that not only was she naked, but her face had also been covered in pimple cream.