While pajamas or underwear are the most commonly depicted garments worn for sleep, it's also not uncommon to depict a person wearing nothing to bed at all.
Sometimes used to illustrate the setting, such as a depiction of a period before sleepwear became mainstream, or character, as in showing a person prefers not to wear clothes at home at all or has other traits to them that make sleepwear either unnecessary or in some way a hindrance.
A lot of awkwardness may happen if a character sleeps this way have to share a bed but There Is Only One Bed. A Shameless Fanservice Girl or someone with No Sense of Personal Space may not mind, but the other person surely will. Expect a Bedmate Reveal if someone who sleeps naked sneaks into another character's bed, intentionally or accidentally, with one of them usually freaking out and jumping to conclusions.
When someone is woken up abruptly while in this state, it can also be an example of Naked People Are Funny or an Inconvenient Summons. Can sometimes lead to Dining in the Buff if someone chooses to get a Midnight Snack or make breakfast without getting dressed, or a Full-Frontal Assault if attacked in their sleep.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, an early running gag in the manga was that not only does Italy sleep in the buff, but he also has the occasional tendency to forget to put pants on when he wakes up. Not that he minds, though everyone else does. This gag has been largely abandoned (though Italy's sleeping habits remain the same). The anime edited things so that Italy sleeps in his underwear, which kind of missed the point of the joke, though this tendency of his was still referenced once in the dub.
- A lot of characters in Daily Life with Monster Girl do this. Rachnera is the most notable, while Suu reverts to a puddle form and then there's Doppel, Kii & Kino who're always naked.
- Kill la Kill. Apparently, Ira Gamagori sleeps in the nude according to Episode 4, shocking one female student.
- In Kyou no Asuka Show, Asuka is admonished by her father when he catches her sleeping naked during the winter.
- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: In Episode 1, Sorata finds Mashiro sleeping curled up in a duvet under a desk. When he wakes her up, he finds out she was doing so naked, much to his mortification.
- Phantom Quest Corp.: Ayaka habitually sleeps in the nude, usually with a Modesty Bedsheet used to preserve her modesty.
- Queen's Blade: Both Leina and her younger sister, Elina, also have a habit of sleeping in the nude.
- In Runaways, Victor Mancha prefers to sleep naked, which makes things very awkward for Chase when he decides to have a late-night chat with him.
- Johnny Storm sleeps in the nude, he claims due to heightened body temperature thanks to his fire powers. Peter discovers this when his letting Johnny crash at the Baxter Building (currently the home of Parker Industries) and finds Johnny asleep in his bed. And the only thing Johnny has to cover himself is Peter's pillow. Parker is definitely not amused.
- In Amazing Spider-Man 2018 #9, Peter is sleeping naked on his bed when he's woken by Silk who begins Eating the Eye Candy, partially fueled by the pheromones that make them attracted to each other.
- Rather infamously done in Spider-Man: Reign, where the initial printing of the first issue was recalled because it showed the schlong of the aged Peter Parker as he sat nude in bed.
- Supreme Power: Doc Spectrum's crystal once took control of him at night and had him confront one of his government superiors naked, because that's how he sleeps.
- Wonder Woman seems to have a habit of sleeping au natural.
- In Wonder Woman 2006 #37, Diana is sleeping naked in her room when she suddenly notices Ares is her room creepily sitting in the corner and she sits up in shock. A combination of Sexy Silhouette, Modesty Bedsheet and Godiva Hair are used to preserve her modesty, though Diana herself doesn't bother covering herself in front of Ares.
- In Wonder Woman (2011) #1, Zola is teleported into Diana's bedroom in London and catches her sleeping in her bed naked. She ends up startling Diana that causes her to Wake-Up Fighting and give Zola a Neck Lift.
- In this◊ Beetle Bailey, we find out that Miss Buxley sleeps in the nude when she's shown lying in her bed naked under the sheets.
- In one Big Nate Sunday strip, Nate and Teddy go to school on Pajama Day and see that Mrs. Godfrey is wearing her regular clothes. When they ask her why she isn't wearing her pajamas, she responds that she sleeps naked. The thought horrifies the boys.
- In Anger Management, Buddy Rydell sleeps in the nude, then cuddles up to David when they share a bed. Considering Buddy's modus operandi, it was intended to be one more way to crank up the awkwardness for David and make him come to an epiphany.
- In Batman Forever, when Batman visits Dr. Chase Meridian (Nicole Kidman) in her bedroom, it's heavily implied that she's naked except for her bedsheet.
- In Entrapment, Gin (Catherine Zeta-Jones) has to sleep naked in a hotel room after her luggage is stolen by Mac, the Gentleman Thief she's trying to meet. Naturally, he sneaks into her room to meet her that night and she ends up giving him a Naked First Impression. Later in the movie she's once again shown sleeping naked, this time with no excuse. Mac finds her and covers her up with a Modesty Bedsheet.
- When Carrie goes to visit Dalton in his loft apartment in Road House, she finds him sleeping nude and is all to happy to start Eating the Eye Candy before he pulls on some jeans.
- In The Seduction, Jamie Douglas nightly routine involves Skinny Dipping in her pool and going to sleep in the nude.
- In You, Me and Dupree, one of the ways Dupree annoys Carl and Molly is by sleeping naked on their couch.
- In The Name of the Wind, Kvothe discovers Fela sleeps in the nude when he calls upon her in her dorm room late one night, only for her to drowsily answer the door with only a Modesty Bedsheet barely covering her. He struggles with the urge to gawk openly.
- Safehold: Cayleb prefers to sleep in the nude, which results in an Inconvenient Summons in the first novel when Merlin knocks on his cabin door. This is possibly a reflection of his practical nature and the Charisian climate — later in the series, when he spends a couple novels in the much colder Siddar City, he wears pajamas.
- The Wheel of Time: Common among the Aiel Proud Warrior Race, the frigid nights in their homeland notwithstanding. Their taboos fall along different lines than nudity, so when they muster to repel a nighttime attack, many fight with their spears, their battle veils, and nothing else.
- Altered Carbon: In "Fallen Angel", Poe brings Prescott to meet Kovacs in his room, only to find out he's sleeping in the nude, giving her a Naked First Impression. He doesn't bother covering himself and she keeps her eyes on his face, and only Poe is affected, trying nervously tries to use briefcase to cover Kovacs.
- Morgan Grimes sleeps "el buffo." A fact which Chuck forgets to warn Ellie and Awesome about when he briefly stays at their apartment...
- In "Chuck Versus the Cat Squad", when the Cat Squad crashes at Chuck's apartment, Carina decides to go to sleep in Morgan's bed while completely naked, causing him to Freak Out! once he wakes up.
- Inverted in Euphoria, where protagonist Rue keeps falling asleep in her clothes because she's too high to bother undressing.
- Everybody Loves Raymond In "Fighting In-Laws", Warren mentions that he likes to sleep "au natural". Since he's sleeping in Ray and Debra's bed, he tests out their pillow by putting it between his thighs: "This'll be great for my hip." A few scenes later, when Ray can't sleep, he tells Debra:
Ray: You know if you listen real careful, you can hear my pillow screaming.
- iCarly: When Freddie gets more freedom after his mother becomes obsessed with caring for Lewbert, one of the things he does is tell the girls he slept with his socks on. Just his socks. Cue their disgusted reactions.
- Inspector Morse: In "The Daughters of Cain" the police, trying to find out whether Kay Brooks might have been away from her fiance for part of the night, ask him how she was dressed when she woke him the following morning. He replies that she wasn't, but that's what he'd expect since they don't wear anything in bed.
- Legends of Tomorrow: Mick Rory sleeps in this manner. In the season 3 episode "Necromancing the Stone", Wally discovers this the hard way when he gets Mick out of bed for a briefing.
- Mock the Week: The round was Wheel of News and the subject was "Burglary". Andy Parsons contribution was to admit to sleeping nude as a tactic should he be burgled, as it would be more intimidating than confronting the burglar in "Paisley pyjamas."
- Tony DiNozzo of NCIS sleeps in the nude, which led to a comedic moment in one episode where Gibbs and Kate rush into his room with guns drawn upon hearing him scream, only to find a naked DiNozzo yelling at an iguana. He only notices his state of undress after Kate gets an eyeful and teasingly winks at him, causing him to cover himself with a chair.
- One Tree Hill: "Almost Everything I Wish I'd Said the Last Time I Saw You" shows that Alex sleeps naked, even when she has to share a bed with Josh, with her casually tossing her bra at him. Due to him being gay, he's only mildly annoyed by it.
- Mentioned in, of all things, Pee-wee's Playhouse. When Pee-Wee invites all his friends for a sleepover at the Playhouse, Cowboy Curtis (young Laurence Fishburne!) shyly admits to Pee-Wee that he doesn't have any pajamas because "I sleep in the nude." Pee-Wee uses his weekly wish from Jambi the Genie to give Curtis some western-themed jammies just for the occasion.
- Profit: Jim Profit regularly sleeps naked in a cardboard box, just like the one he was raised in by his abusive father.
- In Scrubs, JD has been known to sleep nude. This is very unfortunate when the Janitor moves his bed out on the road, with JD still in it.
- Shameless (US), young Ian Gallagher walks in on Kevin sleeping in the nude. Ian's lingering gaze is the audience's first cue that Ian is gay.
- Smallville: In "Crusade", Lana Lang (Kristin Kreuk) wakes up naked in her bed after, with a Modesty Bedsheet barely covering her waist.
- Stargate Atlantis: In "Duet", a female marine ends up Sharing a Body with McKay's by accident and she takes control of it without his permission several times, with one of things she does is going to sleep in the nude.
- Supernatural: In "Red Sky at Morning", Sam questions how Bela can do such horrible things for money.
Sam: How do you sleep at night?
Bela: In silk sheets, rolling naked in money.
- The opening cutscene of Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball introduces Helena sleeping naked in her bed.
- Angela of Trials of Mana is strongly hinted to sleep in the nude when you visit the inn. In fact if she's not your main character, it's possible to stumble across her at the inn at Jigrad, where she'll call you a pervert if you disturb her when playing as any of the male characters).
- Many of the characters in The Bare Pit do this, which makes since as it's about nudists.
- Ménage à 3: Oddly enough, for all the extensive fanservice, few characters in this comic seem to favor nude sleeping, preferring sexy babydoll nighties, T-shirts, and such — apart from post-coital or post-drinking scenes, when crashing out nude follows logically. However, it has been confirmed that the geeky (but not unattractive) Gary sleeps in the buff.
- Niels: Bisexual Scottish Agent 300, who is on a relationship with Agent 250, sleeps in the nude.
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire: Mrs. Packard, the ancient radio operator, reveals that she sleeps in the nude. Milo is handed a sleepmask by the team doctor.
Doctor: Here, take this. She sleepwalks.
- Joked about in one episode of Camp Lazlo, where Edward needed to share a bedroll with one of the other campers. He initially got comfortable in Lazlo's bedroll and thought that he was wearing comfy pajamas. Cue the next shot when he's hugging his knees in a corner like a traumatized child.
- Justice League vs. Teen Titans: Garfield sleeps naked and accidentally forgets to put on his uniform for training, much to Raven's chagrin who ends up catching him. When she points it out he has a Naked Freak-Out.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Played for laughs in the episode "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000". Rainbow Dash barges into Fluttershy's bedroom and pulls off her bed-covers, and Fluttershy blushes and covers herself up as though she had been caught sleeping nude — in spite of the fact that as ponies they don't usually wear clothes at all.
- In "Uncommon Bond", Starlight wakes up her friend Sunburst in the middle of the night and he quickly covers himself up with blankets and shyly asks Starlight to leave the room for a bit so he can get dressed. This one's somehow funnier in that Sunburst does wear clothes... but his "clothes" are mostly just a single cape and nothing else (though the cape does cover up most of his body).
- Shrek the Third: Near the beginning of the movie, Donkey tries to get Shrek out of bed and yanks off the covers, resulting in him Screaming at Squick.
Donkey: You know, you really need to get yourself a pair of jammies!
- In Star vs. the Forces of Evil it's shown that Tom likely sleeps in the nude.
- Steven Universe: After accidentally possessing Lars' body while they were both asleep, Steven gets out of bed and finds that Lars went to sleep naked, with a questionable magazine draped over his face. He quickly huddles into a corner and grabs some clothes off the floor to keep himself from seeing Lars' privates.
- In early seasons of The Simpsons, Marge was often shown nude in bed. Later seasons tend to put her in a nightgown.