Originally aired September 22, 2004
Written by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar
Directed by Greg Beeman
Three months after being taken captive by Jor-El, Clark is returned to Smallville, brainwashed as Kal-El of Krypton, and Martha turns to Dr. Swann for assistance. Lois Lane comes to town to investigate her cousin Chloe's death. Lex uncovers a strange artifact in Egypt. Lionel awaits his murder trial.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Big "NO!": Kal-El lets one out after Martha exposes him to Black Kryptonite and causes him to split from Clark.
- Brainwashed: Clark is returned, re-programmed by Jor-El to believe he is purely Kryptonian.
- Chest Insignia: After Martha exposes Kal-El to Black Kryptonite and causes Clark and Kal-El to split into two different beings, Kal-El is shown bearing the "S" symbol on his chest.
- Comatose Canary: Jonathan for much of the episode. After Kal-El is destroyed by Clark, he recovers.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Despite admonishing herself to keep her eyes on his face, Lois gaze noticeably lowers when faced with Clark naked. Later when he's naked again in the hospital, she gives up and joins an elderly woman in ogling him.
- Enemy Without: Clark uses Black Kryptonite to separate himself from Kal-El and destroy him.
- Event Title: The episode's title refers to Clark, brainwashed as Kal-El, seeking one of the Kryptonian Stones of Power.
- Fanservice: A lot from both Clark and Lana.
- Fetal Position Rebirth: Clark is returned to Smallville in this way.
- Grave-Marking Scene: Lois visits Chloe's grave in the final scene.
- Innocent Fanservice Guy: Kal-El has no nudity taboo and finds no problem being naked in front of Lois.
- Man in White: Lex in the first half of the episode while he's in Egypt.
- Meet Cute: Lois first meets Clark while he's stark naked and Not Himself.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Lana wakes up this way after touching Countess Isobel's tomb.
- Mythology Gag:
- After Clark is returned to Smallville, the spot he arrives in vaguely resembles the pentagon shape of Superman's symbol while a brief arc of energy resembles the "S."
- When he's brought to the hospital by Lois, Clark is seen wearing a red blanket much like a cape.
- Lois remarks to Martha "give me a nerd in glasses any day of the week."
- When Lex's plane's radar detects Kal-El, one of the pilots asks, "What is it? A bird? A plane?"
- When Martha asks Dr. Crosby (played by Margot Kidder) if she and Dr. Swann were romantically involved, Dr. Crosby replies "In a different lifetime."
- Naked First Impression: Lois and Clark first meet when she finds him in a cornfield buck-naked and brainwashed.Lois: [to herself] Look at his face.
- Not Himself: Clark as Kal-El of Krypton.
- Plot Device: The Crystal of Fire, one of the Stones of Power that Lex discovers in Egypt. It restores Lex to good healthnote and emits a beacon that draws Kal-El to it.
- Remake Cameo: Margot Kidder, who played Lois Lane in the Christopher Reeve Superman films, guest stars as Dr. Bridgitte Crosby.
- Scenery Censor: When Kal-El turns to face Lois while naked, some vegetation blocks the view of his mid-section.
- Sexy Silhouette: Lana shows off hers while she's in the shower.
- Shower Scene: Lana takes one on her last scene.
- Spock Speak: Clark speaks this way as Kal-El.
- The Stoic: Kal-El shows very little emotion.
- Talking to the Dead: Lois does this at Chloe's grave in the final scene.Lois: I have a confession to make. I didn't go to your funeral. I hate funerals. Dad says everybody does, but it's a way of paying tribute to a life well-led. I hate myself for being weak. I just knew that, the moment I came here, it would make it real. I promise I'll find out who did this to you, even if I have to do it alone.
- That Came Out Wrong: When Lois meets Martha after finding Clark:
- That Man Is Dead: When Martha realizes what's happening with Clark and demands that he be restored to normal.Kal-El: I am Kal-El of Krypton. It is time to fulfill my destiny.Martha: "Destiny?!" That's Jor-El talking! He did this to you! I want my son back! Give me my son back!Kal-El: Clark Kent is dead!
- Time Skip: The episode is set three months after the events of "Covenant."
- Toplessness from the Back: Lana when she wakes up naked in her bed, with the bedsheets only covering her waist. And later when Lana steps out of the shower and sees the Mark of Transference tattooed on her back.
- The Unfettered: Clark as Kal-El of Krypton. Dr. Crosby even explains that Clark has full access to his powers because he has fully embraced his Kryptonian destiny.Dr. Crosby: Now, where's your son?Martha: I don't know. He flew. He flew away.Dr. Crosby: So he's...he has completely embraced his Kryptonian destiny.
- You Are Not Alone: Clark tells Lois this when he meets her at Chloe's grave.Lois: [to Chloe's grave] I promise I'll find out who did this to you, even if I have to do it alone.Clark: [walking up] You're not alone.