Sidonie Laborde (Seydoux) is the reader of Queen Marie Antoinette (Kruger). She is very devoted to her. The Queen has a very close relationship with Gabrielle de Polignac (Ledoyen). The French Revolution breaks out. The Queen and Gabrielle de Polignac are in danger because the people is angry at them.
Farewell, My Queen provides examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: The Queen is implied to be in love with Gabrielle de Polignac, who is ungrateful to her. Sidonie Laborde is implied to be in love with the Queen, who send her on a suicide mission to protect Gabrielle de Polignac.
- Body Double: The Queen proposes Sidonie Laborde to impersonate Gabrielle de Polignac during her flight from Versailles, while Gabrielle will impersonate a servant. This is to protect Gabrielle, since the people is angry at her.
- End of an Age: This is Versailles in 1789, so it is the very end of the Ancien Régime.
- Fanservice: At some point, Sidonie Laborde watches Gabrielle de Polignac (Virginie Ledoyen) while she is sleeping naked. Later, Sidonie Laborde (Léa Seydoux) is showed naked when she tries a dress.
- The Fashionista: Marie-Antoinette asks Sidonie Laborde to read her fashion catalogues rather than litterature. She asks for an embroided flower.
- Hide Your Lesbians: The relationship between the Queen and Gabrielle de Polignac seems to go beyond simple friendship, but it is never explicitly showed. Sidonie Laborde is also very devoted to the Queen.
- Historical-Domain Character: Queen Marie-Antoinette, Gabrielle de Polignac, Louis XVI and his brothers, Henriette Campan, Jacob-Nicolas Moreau...
- Interrupted Intimacy: Sidonie is going to have sex with Paolo, when she is called by the Queen.
- Pimped-Out Dress: The film is set at Versailles in 1789, so they are ubiquitous. The Queen and Gabrielle's dresses stand out.
- Suicide Mission: Sidonie is sent out of Versailles as a Body Double for Gabrielle de Polignac. Given the fact that the revolutionaries have placed Polignac on top of the list of the people they want to execute, this is very dangerous.
- Triang Relations: Type 5 between Sidonie Laborde, the Queen and Gabrielle de Polignac. See All Love Is Unrequited.