So, your family/roommates have gone out for the evening, leaving you home alone. What do you do? Strip and spend the next few hours walking around naked, perhaps because you hate being dressed, or just because there's nothing stopping you, or some other reason. Make sure to close the curtains, though.
Notably, the camera is almost always angled so that the audience doesn't actually see any real nudity, or some other visual censor will be used. In more G-rated works, this may be reduced down to the character just stripping down to their underwear.
Almost always a Comedy Trope. May be a Guilty Pleasure. See Sleeps in the Nude, Naked People Are Funny, Shameless Fanservice Girl and What You Are in the Dark. May lead to Birthday Suit Surprise Party, Open the Door and See All the People, Please Put Some Clothes On, or Naked People Trapped Outside.
- And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online?: Ako Tamaki spends almost all of her time inside playing video games. Whenever she is inside, she is either in her underwear or naked.
- In B Gata H Kei, Kosuda argues quite regularly with his sister about her tendency to casual nudity at home. She's not so shameless that she'd walk outside in the nude or even around the house if there are guests over, but if it's just her high-school-age baby brother, who cares? (Aside from said brother, and anyone walking outside while he yells at her.)
- Satoshi Isshiki of Food Wars!. It's more common to see him walk around in Fundoshi when he tends the garden, or Naked Apron while he's cooking, and a scene of him waking up in his bedroom reveals that he Sleeps in the Nude. The other students who live in the Polaris Dormitory remark that it's hard to recognize him outside their dorm because he wears clothes.
- Among the Little Bit Beastly people of Seton Academy: Join the Pack! is Student Council President Miki Hadano, a naked mole rat, emphasis on naked. As a naked mole rat, she and her kind regard wearing clothes as disgusting to the point that she sees the clothing others wear in Pixellation. She and her fellow mole rats will wear clothing if they need to venture up to the surface, but are otherwise much happier underground in their burrows stripped down to their underwear. In one chapter, Miki is forced to dorm with others temporarily and tries to introduce nudism to her temporary roommates.
- Mio of Waiting in the Summer is a nudist at home due to being raised by nudist parents. Scenes of her at home, such as while talking to friends on the phone, show her walking around in the buff. This causes no small amount of angst as a combination of this and being sluggish in the mornings causes her to habitually forget to put on underwear for school and leaves her in fear that her love interest will be disgusted with her when he finds out. Fortunately for her, he isn't, and even tries to offer advice for her Going Commando problems.
- Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san: Being a succubus, Sakuma typically wears as little clothing as she can get away with. When at home, she wears a pair of underwear and small pasties over her breasts. However, Sakuma dresses much more modestly when she leaves the house to go to work or tend to an errand.
- DC's resident Mr. Fanservice Dick Grayson, also known as Nightwing, has been shown to hang around in his apartment in the nude or with just his briefs on. He does not indulge in at home nudity when he's living at Wayne Manor or has any of his brothers staying with him but will happily answer the door in nothing but undies or a towel.
- Poison Ivy is often depicted as this sort of character, particularly in her self-titled 2016 series. After being given a second chance at being a scientist as Pamela Isley, she dresses in professional lab attire while performing her work but only to prove that she's serious about trying to reform. The moment she returns to her home and shuts the door, she takes off her clothes immediately.
- Spider-Man 2099 is either wearing a very short robe, or briefs. And nothing else. The habit even seems to extend out of his house, as he's always Going Commando.
- Monet St. Croix Early on in X-Factor (2006), Monet is the privacy of her room, shrugging off her robe and dancing to the tune of "I'm Too Sexy" naked. Naturally, Rictor barges at that moment and gets a full-frontal view while the viewer sees her Toplessness from the Back. She promtly gets a Naked Freak-Out and tosses Rictor out of her room.
- In Child of the Storm, Betsy Braddock walks around her home naked. She even weaponizes this trope when she's trying to get a read out of a secret agent sent to recruit her.
- In the X-Men: Days of Future Past fanfic Partners in Crime, Wanda Maximoff, who doesn't really care about how much skin she shows, enjoys lounging around the Maximoff household completely naked much to her mother's annoyance. Wanda's only real concern with her nudism is the possibility that her younger sister Lorna will pick up this habit.
- Rocketship Voyager. While passing through a berthing compartment, Chakotay runs into Seska who has just stepped out of the shower. As they're on a spaceship with little privacy and no gender segregation, she's not bothered in the slightest.
- Discussed in The Simpsons Movie when Lou arrests Bart for skateboarding in the nude.
Lou: Look, kid, nobody likes wearing clothes in public, but it's the law.
- In Drive, He Said, Gabriel's girlfriend Sylvie sits naked with him while they watch TV.
- In Half Price, the main characters are a bunch of kids who've been abandoned by their mother. Unable to keep their clothes in order, they start going nude at home simply so that they won't have to do so much laundry.
- In Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Mycroft Holmes goes au naturel around the house in front of his (fully clothed) servants, a habit it doesn't occur to him to break while entertaining the newlywed Mrs. Watson. (By the way, Mycroft is portrayed by Stephen Fry.)
- In Dash And Lilys Book Of Dares Dash tries this out for the first time and does a variety of activities including waving to the neighbours, eating yogurt and dancing to the Mamma Mia soundtrack.
- Naked Came the Stranger has the hippie couple the Franhops, who hang around the house naked so they can have sex whenever the mood strikes them.
- In one Broad City episode, Abbi comes home to find that her roommate's freeloading boyfriend is out, and she has the apartment to herself for once. She celebrates by dancing around naked.
- In an episode of Childrens Hospital, Cat tries home nudism after being catcalled. She likes it apart from the fact that she's cold and can't find a place to put her lipstick.
- For the first half of the series, a faceless man referred to solely as "Ugly Naked Guy" (the flashback episode shows he was "Cute Naked Guy" before he started putting on weight) lives in the apartment across from Monica's. As his name implies, he always walks around his apartment in the nude, while the friends take pleasure in spying on him along with his various misadventures. He has no lines and the only two times he is seen a small shot of his stomach when the gang thinks he is dead, and later the back of his head and torso when he answers the door to Ross. Later, he moves away, and ironically most of his moving boxes are labeled "clothes".
- Chandler and Monica leave for Las Vegas before Rachel, leaving her alone in the apartment the day before she leaves. She uses the opportunity to drop her robe and walk around the apartment undressed. Unfortunately, Ross, who lives in the apartment across the street (Ugly Naked Guy's former apartment, ironically enough), sees her and incorrectly assumes she is trying to seduce him.
Phoebe: Why do you think it takes me so long to answer the door?
- Rachel's example was done at the encouragement of Phoebe, who states that she does this regularly.
- Joey once admitted that he sometimes cooks while naked ("Toast, oatmeal...nothing that spatters"). He's also been known to sleep naked and doesn't always remember to get dressed before leaving his room.
- Murray from The Goldbergs takes off his pants as soon as he gets home from work and sits on his easy chair in his shirt and underpants.
- The Good Place provides the page quote. When Eleanor, Jason, and Janet first meet Mindy St. Claire in the Medium Place, she is naked the first time she sees them, and she dives behind some sunflowers to hide herself. She explains later that she often walks around naked due to not having seen another person since her death thirty years ago.
- How I Met Your Mother:
- When Ted briefly moves out in season two, Marshall and Lily seize the opportunity to do all the things they wanted to do if they lived alone. The first thing on the list is to stop wearing clothes. However, they soon realize it's not as much fun as they thought it'd be, and is actually kind of cold.
- The first time Ted doesn't have a roommate, he also starts walking around his apartment naked, though this backfires when he spills hot soup on himself.
- In season eight, Ted briefly gets back together with his ex-girlfriend Victoria. Unfortunately, she takes pity on her German ex-fiancé Klaus and allows him to move in with them while he works to get back on his feet. Klaus frequents the apartment in the nude even when other people are around, much to Ted's discomfort.
- Jonathan Creek: In "Mother Redcap", Maddie starts dating a man only to discover that he is a home nudist. In fairness to him, he did actually tell her this before she arrived at his house. She just wasn't listening.
- One sketch on The League of Gentlemen had the characters celebrating "Nude Day" by spending the day at home naked.
- Hal and Lois were portrayed as this in the first episode of Malcolm in the Middle; refusing to wear clothes in the house. This is a case of Early Installment Weirdness as this was the only time they were shown doing this (presumably the writers realised there was almost nowhere they could go with the joke) and later portrayals would have them far too uptight to ever indulge in this sort of activity.
- One such person appears in a Midsomer Murders episode, to Barnaby's surprise and Troy's horror. Then it turns out the guy is an outdoor nudist as well, which compromised the murderer's plans as he thought he'd been spotted.
- There was a short-lived sitcom called One Big Happy where Kelly Brook's character Prudence walks around her lover's kitchen naked in the pilot.
- Downplayed and Justified in Primeval. Abby walks around her flat in her underwear very frequently, due to the fact that she needs to keep the heat up to make the prehistoric reptile she keeps as a pet comfortable.
- In "The Apology", Jerry dates a woman who undresses immediately after getting home. When Jerry himself tries doing it, she is unimpressed and breaks up with him.
- In "The Contest" Jerry notices a woman in an apartment across the street walking around naked. He tries to ignore her in order to win the titular contest. Kramer gives up on the contest because of the woman and he ends up in bed with her.
- The Wings episode "House of Blues" has Joe and Helen experiment with nudism around the house after kicking out Brian and Casey. Helen only wears an apron while cooking breakfast because, as she claims, "I am not making bacon naked." They run into problems when they start getting blackmailed with photos of themselves around the house.
- One video by Ryan George involved a ghost popping up and sticking around after it. Ryan explains that they can't stay because he walks around naked. The ghost responds.
Yeah, I know!
- Arthur, King of Time and Space: In the modern-day story arc, Guinevere and her family are nudists at home, though they wear clothes when they're around other people. She and Arthur first encounter each other as players on a fantasy-themed Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, and when she casually mentions that she likes online social interaction because you don't have to get dressed for it, he assumes she's kidding.
- In El Goonish Shive, Grace will take any opportunity to go nude at home (and sometimes elsewhere) as long as Edward Verres isn't around.
- Forest Hill: Hunter enjoys being naked a lot, which worries his father Colin. Benni and Talitha, who have both been raised by pedophiles, are used to being naked. Colin and Flora start letting their kids and foster kids be naked at home, though only when in same sex groups, since they are more comfortable that way, although there is a bit of a miscommunication between Colin and Flora, as Colin gets naked too with Kaleb, Benni, and Hunter, which Flora actually wasn't ok with.
- Questionable Content: When Dora and Faye get lost en route to a friend's family cottage, they end up at the door of a rather large, very naked elderly man. They stop in for a game of cards and some home-baked cookies, so clearly they're not much bothered.
- Real Life Comics: Greg once reacted to having the home to himself for hours with "Aaand it's naked time."
- Striptease: Max and Alli experimented with this after moving in together.
- Katherine in Wapsi Square never wore clothes at home for many years' worth of strips. The first mention of this is when she asks Monica what to wear at a bar they're going to. Monica tells her that she can wear "whatever she wears at home". Katherine replies "But I don't wear anything at home". She starts wearing clothes when she becomes an adoptive mother and has to share her apartment with adolescents. No mention of her previous nudism is ever made.
- In the All Grown Up! episode, "What's Love Got to Do With It?", to help Chuckie overcome his fear of being naked in the gym showers, Phil tells Chuckie that most of the time when he's home alone, he walks around naked. Upon hearing this, Tommy says to himself that he should call Phil before he goes over to his house (Quite ironic when you consider that when Tommy was a baby, he was the one who convinced Phil and Lil to go naked in the first place).
- It wasn't unheard of for British aristocrats to walk around naked in front of their servants, who were regarded as part of the furniture. Winston Churchill is probably the most well-known example, famously greeting Franklin D. Roosevelt this way while a guest at the White House, whereupon Churchill quipped to the President that "he had nothing to hide".
- Patrick Macnee was one, to the surprise of some visitors who didn't know about this fact.