Laurence John Fishburne III (born July 30, 1961) is an American actor, producer, screenwriter, and film director, and a quiet man. Maybe too quiet. Sometimes to the point of being almost inaudible.
One of his early roles was Cowboy Curtis on Pee-wee's Playhouse, as well as having a role in Apocalypse Now, where he started at age 14 playing an 18 year old soldier and ended filming as an 18 year old with a nasty heroin addiction (this is what happens when you work with Dennis Hopper in The '70s).
He is perhaps best known for his role as Morpheus in The Matrix trilogy, (which makes his previous role on Pee Wee Hilarious in Hindsight) and for his portrayal of singer musician Ike Turner in the Tina Turner biopic What's Love Got to Do with It?. Pity that women gave him the evil eye for years because of the last one.
Has been cast as criminologist Dr. Raymond Langston on CSI and has landed the role of Perry White in the 2013 Superman movie Man of Steel. As of April 2014, is a regular on both Hannibal, playing Jack Crawford, and a main cast member on Black-ish, where he plays Pops.
Was married to Gina Torres, but they separated recently. His daughter from his first marriage, Montana, was formerly a porn star; he did not approve. His son from the same marriage, Langston, is an actor and ballet dancer and looks a lot like his father. Some movies take advantage of this by casting him as a younger version of a character played by his father, most notably in Ant-Man and the Wasp. He and Gina welcomed their first child, a daughter named Delilah, in 2007.
Has a minor claim to fame in being the first black man to play the title character in a film adaptation of Othello.
- Cornbread Earl and Me (1975) as Wilford Robinson.
- Apocalypse Now (1979) as Tyrone "Clean" Miller.
- Akeelah and the Bee (2006)
- Death Wish II (1982) as Cutter.
- The Cotton Club (1984) as Bumpy Rhodes.
- The Color Purple (1985) as Swain.
- Quicksilver (1986) as Voodoo.
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) as Max.
- Red Heat (1988) as Lt. Stobbs.
- King of New York (1990) as Jimmy Jump.
- Boyz n the Hood (1991) as Furious Styles.
- Deep Cover (1992) as Russell Stevens Jr.
- What's Love Got to Do with It (1993) as Ike Turner.
- Event Horizon (1997) as Captain Miller.
- The Matrix (1999) as Morpheus.
- Osmosis Jones (2001) as Thrax.
- The Matrix Reloaded (2003) as Morpheus.
- Enter the Matrix (2003) as Morpheus.
- The Matrix Revolutions (2003) as Morpheus.
- Mystic River (2003) as Whitey Powers.
- Assault on Precinct 13 (2005) as Bishop.
- The Matrix: Path of Neo (2005) as Morpheus and Narrator.
- Mission: Impossible III (2006) as Theodore Brassel.
- TMNT (2007) as The Narrator.
- Armored (2009) as Baines.
- Predators (2010) as Noland.
- Contagion (2011) as Dr. Ellis Cheever.
- Thurgood (2011) as Thurgood Marshall
- The Colony (2013) as Briggs.
- DC Extended Universe as Perry White:
- Hannibal (2013-2015) as Jack Crawford.
- BlackIsh (2014-) as Pops Johnson.
- The Signal (2014) as Damon.
- Passengers (2016) as Gus Mancuso.
- John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) as the Bowery King.
- Last Flag Flying (2017) as Richard "Mullah" Mueller
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) as Bill Foster.