Dennis Lee Hopper (May 17, 1936 May 29, 2010) was an American actor, director and writer, known for working in and pioneering the New Hollywood era.
Hopper began his career in bit parts on various television shows and had small roles in the James Dean films Rebel Without a Cause and Giant, however Hopper made his breakout role in Easy Rider, which he also directed. He was then able to spin this initial success into long and prosperous career in Hollywood.
His career was punctuated by a lengthy history of drug abuse, which he finally overcame in 1983, and troubled relationships with women (one of his wives divorced him after one week of marriage). Hopper was also infamous for playing King 'Bowser' Koopa in the critically panned Super Mario Bros: The Movie, a career move Hopper credited with ruining his career.
Hopper passed away from prostate cancer on May 29th 2010, 12 days after his 74th birthday.
Works on this wiki:
- Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
- Giant (1956)
- Sayonara (1957) — uncredited bit part
- The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
- Cool Hand Luke (1967)
- Head (1968) — uncredited bit part
- Hang 'Em High (1968)
- True Grit (1969)
- Easy Rider (1969) — also co-wrote and directed
- The Last Movie (1970) — also wrote and directed
- Mad Dog Morgan (1976)
- The American Friend (1977)
- Apocalypse Now (1979)
- Rumble Fish (1983)
- River's Edge (1986)
- Blue Velvet (1986) — "PABST BLUE RIBBON!"
- Space Truckers (1986)
- Hoosiers (1987)
- Colors (1988) — director only
- Super Mario Bros. (1993)
- True Romance (1993)
- Speed (1994)
- Waterworld (1995)
- 24 (2002) — appeared in the first season as the Big Bad
- Land of the Dead (2005)
- E-Ring (2005)
- An American Carol (2008)
- Swing Vote (2008)
- The Other Side of the Wind (2018)