A weird moon turns everyone in the city into wild animals, and Sandy the squirrel is the only one who can save them.
Feral Friends contains examples of:
- Art Shift: When Neptune's Moon rises, the cartoony art-style changes to a much more realistic rendition... to Sandy's horror.
- Big "NO!": Sandy does this when the carnivorous fish advances on Squidward.
- Birthday Episode: The episode takes place on Sandy's birthday.
- A Birthday, Not a Break: The Neptune's Moon incident happens during Sandy's birthday.
- Eye Color Change: When the Bikini Bottommites are mesmerized by Neptune's Moon, their eyes turn pale green.
- Happy Birthday to You!: Sung at Sandy's birthday, but "happy" is replaced with "squirrely".
- History Repeats: Since this event happens every 100 years, has history often repeated itself?
- Here We Go Again!: After everyone returns to normal after Neptune's Moon disappears, it is then followed by Neptune's Sun, which works the opposite of its predecessor, via turning all land creatures into their real or prehistoric state.
- Medium Blending: The French Narrator appears onscreen, depicted as a man in an old-fashioned diving suit. In addition, Patch the Pirate makes his first appearance outside of a special.
- Naked People Are Funny: SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Pearl, Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff, and Larry end up naked once the two hours of Neptune's moon are over and everyone returns to normal.
- Naked People Trapped Outside: Happens to the Bikini Bottomites after Neptune's Moon ended its cycle and they returned to normal, since their clothes were destroyed in the process of their transformations. While it's subverted with SpongeBob and Patrick because they're unfazed by their sudden nudity, it is played straight with everyone else seen naked (Larry the Lobster panics before using a flower to cover himself, while Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff, Squidward, and Pearl run away in embarrassment while covering themselves the instant it dawns on them that they are nude in public).
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Squidward breaking himself free of the hypnosis of Neptune's Moon, because he needed the bathroom.
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: See Weird Moon below.
- Reality Ensues: Every Bikini Bottommite act as how their realistic animal counterparts would act.
- The Reveal: The French Narrator appears on screen for the first time.
- Running Gag:
- Sandy yelling, "You don't see that everyday!"
- The feral Mr. Krabs pinching Sandy with his claws.
- Sickly Green Glow: Neptune's Moon has a vivid green glow on it.
- Weird Moon: Neptune's Moon, a glowing green moon which appears every 100 years and turns the Bikini Bottommites into realistic sea creatures for two hours.
Don't Wake Patrick
Patrick sleepwalks and SpongeBob can't wake him up.
Don't Wake Patrick contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: There are two instances in a row where it seems that SpongeBob has spotted Patrick sleepwalking, but turns out to be something else entirely before he actually does spot the sleepwalker.
- Butt-Monkey: SpongeBob suffers a lot of physical abuse just to protect Patrick.
- Heavy Sleeper: Patrick turns out to be this, as none of SpongeBob's attempts to wake him up work.
- Here We Go Again!: By the end, SpongeBob falls asleep and starts to sleepwalk into traffic, though Patrick doesn't chase after him, insisting he'll be fine.
- Never Wake Up a Sleepwalker: Subverted. SpongeBob actually does try to wake Patrick up when he starts sleepwalking, but every attempt fails due to Patrick being a Heavy Sleeper.
- Pass the Popcorn: When Patrick sleepwalks into a dance studio, SpongeBob just takes a seat in the audience and eats popcorn as he watches Patrick sleep dance.
- We Are Not Going Through That Again: See Here We Go Again!.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: An exhausted SpongeBob has this reaction once he finally returns Patrick home, and Patrick only wakes up after stubbing his foot on a tiny pebble.