Sex in a pool. Why is it common enough to warrant a trope? Perhaps it's our distant amphibian past. Perhaps it's because you don't get cold. Perhaps water is an aphrodisiac. Perhaps the amount of glistening skin left exposed by bathing suits is a turn-on. Perhaps it's because there's no clean-up. Whatever, sometimes two people get into a swimming pool or something akin to it, and take part in what many public pools describe as "heavy petting". It also can be alternatively done in a bathtub or hot tub.
Sometimes goes hand in hand with Underwater Kiss.
- The XXXenophile story "Sweet Water". One of the participants is a naiad (the spirit of the spring that feeds the pool). Meaning that the guy is not just having sex in the pool, he is having sex with the pool.
- Bishop-Major Simon Passover scores with a mother and daughter at the same time in a sunken tub in Ironwood.
- Sabretooth while staying at a brothel. An old lady called Momma runs the place, and she talks to Creed about his huge tab since he's been coming to the brothel ever since she's been there. They have a passionate embrace as Creed tells her to get three of her finest honeys, a dozen beers, and meet him in the Jacuzzi to settle up. He mentions he's about to be a millionaire, which she says won't cover it. In response, he says to grab just two honeys then, before they kiss.
- Implied to be a part of Garth (Aqualad) and Tula (Aquagirl's) love life in Teen Titans. Both are Atlantean and need to spend a lot of time immersed anyway.
- In this Berserk fanfic, Guts and Casca have sex in a fountain/pool on Elfhelm.
- Subverted in another Berserk fanfic, where there is some heavy kissing between the couple but they don't take it any further.
- In Superman of 2499: The Great Confrontation, Alan and Kath make love underwater in the middle of the Atlantic.
- The James Bond films:
- Licence to Kill (possibly; we get a Discretion Shot)
- A Soviet spy tries to trick Bond during one in A View to a Kill.
- For Your Eyes Only, only there it's the ocean. Oooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww....
- Thunderball took it even further, as not only was it in the ocean, it was underwater (thanks to scuba gear) and in Real Life would probably have resulted in the death or injury of one or both participants.
- In a deleted scene from Die Another Day. Interestingly, this actually a Fake-Out Make-Out scenario to hide the fact that Bond and another agent have been snooping around the Big Bad's headquarters. They don't do the deed until returning to his room.
- The beginning of Piranha started with this which turned out to be a big mistake.
- The famous scene in Wild Things, where the two female leads undress and kiss in a swimming pool. And somebody is recording.
- In Swimming Pool, Julie clearly wants to have one with Franck, and they start taking some steps in that direction, but he decides to stop it. It leads to a Woman Scorned scene and subsequent Death by Sex.
- Hollywood Homicide finds Josh Hartnett coming home to one of his yoga students waiting for him in the hot tub.
- Showgirls has an example which starts straight but quickly turns into comedy. note
- The first Austin Powers movie has a variant in a hot tub, itself parodying the example from A View to a Kill.
- The Baz Luhrmann film William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet has a relatively tame version.
- Four Rooms features one, kinda. Also, the girl is a witch and the pool functions as her Coven's cauldron.
- In Lakeview Terrace, Samuel L. Jackson's young kids watch their new neighbors do this. When Sammy finds out, he is not impressed.
- Zero Cool and Acid Burn have one of these at the end of Hackers.
- Clark Griswold attempts to have one of these with Christie Brinkley's character in National Lampoon's Vacation, but his wife discovers them before anything can happen.
- Later, his wife wants to try, but her screams at the cold water wake the entire motel.
- Rat Race taught us that it is not a good idea to do this with your ex-girlfriend when your new girlfriend is a yandere with a license to fly a helicopter.
- Referenced in Easy A. Melody Bostic's parents let her have a party every time she catches them having sex in the pool which, according to Olive, is about once a week.
- A Three-Person Pool party occurs in Machete as Machete scores with mother/daughter pair June and April Booth.
- Wild Wild West: Jim West and a girlfriend have one in a water tower until it falls down.
- In Halloween II (1981), Nurse Karen and Budd get busy in the hospital's hydrotherapy pool before Michael Myers strangles Budd with a length of cord and drowns Nurse Karen after dunking her face into scalding water, causing her face to blister and boil.
- Almost happens in The Pool, but the killer offs the participants before it can happen. That bastard!
- Subverted in Y Tu Mamá También. The two male best friends frequently swim in the city pool when it is closed (I think they were supposed to be working there or something). On one occasion they get naked and masturbate, one on the side of the pool, one on the diving board. Cut to underwater shot of semen falling into the water.
- Taryn (Hope Marie Carlton) and Hondo (Bruce Penhall) have one in the Jacuzzi in Picasso Trigger.
- In Scandal: Sex@students.edu, the one that Donna Silverman (Kim Dawson) has with Jon Griffith (Bobby Johnston) is being videotaped.
- The sex scene between Capa (Bruce Willis) and Rose in Color of Night starts out like this. Later they move to a bed, and then a shower.
- Alpha Dog. A three-person pool party, actually. Zach makes out with Julie and Alma in a pool they break into. Unfortunately, the real Nicholas Markowitz never got to enjoy any such thing before his death.
- Oblivion (2013) : And for extra male fanservice, Victoria's the one character we see naked (her shadow from the back), with Jack ending up shirtless afterwards.
- Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters has Mina thank Hansel for saving her life by doing this to him in a waterfall pond. We get a full nudity shot of her from the back before she walks into the water and then turns around to present her exposed breasts.
- John and Jenny in Marley & Me try to have this, but any romantic air is killed by the titular Marley jumping into the pool and swimming past them.
- Almost happens in Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem with two teenagers in the school pool. Then the girl's Jerk Jock ex-boyfriend shows up with his boys to ruin it. Then a Xenomorph jumps in the water and kills the ex.
- In A Good Old Fashioned Orgy, some friends have well... an orgy and at one point attempt this. It is a lot more difficult to do than they thought.
- In Hot Tub Time Machine, Nick's younger self is having hot tub sex with a girl named Tara.
- In Species, Sil attempts this with a guy, only for the protagonists to interrupt her, forcing her to reluctantly kill the guy.
- In Dante's Peak, a couple of hikers took a dip in one of the mountain's natural hot springs. However, before anything happened, they ended up getting boiled alive when the spring got too hot.
- Happens as a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment in the otherwise fairly realistic Whip It.
- Pretty Cool: Howard has one with his sister's friends in a dream sequence. And in the sequel, Dave ends up being forced into one by his girlfriend Brittany.
- Daniele and Matthew have one in The Girl Next Door. It gets ruined when his parents return home.
- Bliss and Oliver have a very literal two-person pool party (in a full-up swimming pool) in Whip It. In the original novel, Derby Girl, they just have sex. In a bed.
- In The Secret of My Success, Brantley uncle's wife Vera seduces him at the country house's swimming pool.
- Star Trek: Insurrection features a scene where Riker and Troi share a bath, indicating that their long-dormant romance has been rekindled. They are not seen having sex, but she is shaving his beard.
- Queen of the Damned: Lestat and Akasha are shown making out/drinking each other's blood in a bath filled with rose petals.
- In The Shape of Water, Elisa and the Asset share an intimate moment in Elisa's flooded bathroom.
- In Sorority Row, Claire and Mickey have sex in the sorority's Jacuzzi, after Claire has filled it with bubble bath.
- In The Catcher, Anthony is relaxing in the whirlpool bath when the coach tells him he better let his girlfriend's head up or she is going to drown. After the coach leaves, a girl emerges from under the water.
- In Dead Again in Tombstone, Madam Du Vere starts making out with one of her girls in a bathtub to put Col. Boomer in the mood. It works.
- In Zombie Nightmare, Peter and Suzie strip down to their underwear and climb into the hot tub at the health club. However, their intimacy is interrupted by the appearance of the zombie. According to the janitor, this little celebration (the hot tub, not the zombie) was traditional after their tennis matches.
- In Young Lady Chatterley II, Cynthia is lamenting her sexual frustration while taking a bath. Her maid says she would do anything to make her feel better. And proceeds to do so; right there in the tub.
- In Petticoat Planet, Steve and the mayor have sex in the mayor's large, luxurious bathtub.
- In Shandra: The Jungle Girl, Karen and her girlfriend (only identified in the credits as 'Gorgeous Blonde'), have sex in Karen's enormous sunken bath the night before Karen leaves for the expedition.
- Virgin Territory: Lorenzo and the nuns who get in the bath with him to have sex.
- In The Suckers, Joanna and Barbara have sex in the huge sunken tub of their bedroom the night before the hunt.
- The Naked Witch: After the witch bewitches the student, they engage in some heavy petting while swimming in the creek.
- In The Terror by Dan Simmons, the captain has a flashback to sex in a pool. It's used to reveal a bit about the era, namely that he completely misses the woman he loves having an orgasm.
- Twilight Slightly different: Bella and Edward's honeymoon started with a midnight swim in the ocean. It was a private island, fortunately.
- In The Otherworld, two people who have Unresolved Sexual Tension go skinny dipping together in her family's private pool. After the inevitable occurs, they take the pool towels into the woods and fall asleep together.
- In The Wheel of Time, Rand has multiple erotic dreams involving one (or more) of his love interests and a local pond during the earlier parts of the series. At this point, he is mostly still in Celibate Hero mode, and this mostly just serves to make him uncomfortable, especially when his Psycho Ex-Girlfriend decides to invite herself (it Makes Sense In Context).
- In Aeon 14: A Path in the Darkness Joe has the tugboat Excelsior fitted with a hot tub instead of a second cabin when he brings Tanis along to grab a planetoid for raw materials to repair the Intrepid. The two of them use it to consummate their relationship.
- Happened on the first night of the first season of Loft Story, the French version of Big Brother.
- And the sixth season of the British one, allegedly.
- Sex and the City
- In The L Word pilot, Jenny's first sapphic stirrings come as she watches Shane and a random girl get it on in the pool next door.
- In Mad Men, Don has sex with a young woman in a pool. Her father is having sex with another woman in the same pool.
- Honest. Twice.
- Glee: Finn believes Quinn when she tells him she got pregnant in the hot tub, even though they didn't have sex—or even take their bathing suits off.
- Naomi and Emily were supposed to do something like this in Skins, until they realized that the lake they were using was a hell of a lot colder than anyone anticipated and Kathryn Prescott (Emily) ended up in an ambulance with hypothermia.
- In "Chapter 14" of Jane the Virgin, Luisa recounts how she and Rose got together. They had sex in a pool, under a Literal Metaphor of fireworks. (It was Love at First Sight and they had sex at least 3 times. It was also the 4th of July.)
- Don't even try to imagine how many diseases are floating in the hot tub on Jersey Shore.
- Tony and Carmella's reconciliation in season 5 of The Sopranos starts in the pool.
- The reality dating show Blind Date, had a lot of those. Especially in a hot tub.
- In Desperate Housewives, the way we find out Andrew is gay is that he's doing this with his friend Justin.
- In one scene, in Playboy: Girls of Spring Break suggests that Wendy Christine and Michelle Mullica are holding one in the Jacuzzi.
- In Shameless a pool is among the myriad places Fiona and Steve have sex.
- The Fosters:
- In season 3 episode 14, after Stef asks her wife Lena to take her swimming knowing she has upcoming surgery for breast cancer, Lena leads her to sneak into an absent neighbours' backyard at night and the two go Skinny Dipping in their pool.
- In the Series Finale, Stef and Lena again have a nighttime Skinny Dipping lovefest, this time in the ocean by a beachside resort only for an oblivious employee to pick up their robes leaving them stuck outside butt naked.
- Modern Family: In "New Year's Eve", Claire and Phil plan to see in the new year by having sex in a secluded hot spring. Things do not go according to plan.
- Sex Sent Me To The ER: a couple doing this have a problem when the woman's toe gets caught in a grating.
- Arrow: In a flashback to the island in "Identity", Oliver and Shado get it on in a lake.
- Castle: Castle and Beckett almost have one in his Hamptons' house, but of course a guy drops dead in their pool... right after Beckett dropped her towel to show she had "forgot" her bathing suit.
- In one episode of Bones two "witnesses of the week" decided to skinny-dip in a mud lake that was also like a hot spring. Since this is Bones, they inadvertently find a body was dumped there after a bone poked one of them.
- The Big Bang Theory: Howard and Bernadette get a new hot tub and plan to break it in in this fashion on Valentine's Day—but find a half-drowned rabbit floating in the tub. They revive it, it bites Howard, and he rushes off to the emergency room for fear of rabies, all before they have any chance to get it on, or for Bernadette to tell Howard that she's pregnant.
- Attila: Attila's first experience with a hot Roman bath occurs when the emperor's envious sister Honoria takes him to one in order to seduce him.
- Midsomer Murders: In "Last Year's Model", a sleazy music producer and his mistress are getting it on in the Jacuzzi, discussing how his wife is about to go to prison. They are interrupted by the doorbell. They soon realize that it's Barnaby and that he's not going to leave.
- Survivors: Abby has casual sex with a guy in a pond at one point.
- Halsey: In the "Ghost" video, briefly.
- Implied in the Prince song "Mr. Goodnight". Don't think that just because he wasn't doing "Darling Nikki" by this point, it meant he wasn't doing songs like this.
"We can watch Chocolat on the big screen
Before we convene in the pool (yeah)
The waterfall'll wash your cares away
Already I love you, I do"
- Implied in the Brad Paisley song "Water".
"You can stay right there
Till the daylight's gone
Play Truth or Dare
And it won't take long
'Fore you and her
Got nothin' on
- The Sims lets your Sim couples do this in hot tubs. In public.
- The Witcher:
- Implied to have happened in Final Fantasy X. If Tidus and Yuna didn't go all the way, they certainly seemed to have done everything shy of it.
- Happens in the second game in the Heroes Rise trilogy if you chose Black Magic as your love interest.
- Barely averted in Katawa Shoujo. Hisao and Lilly fondle each other in the bathtub, but the actual sex happens on the floor and right next to said tub.
- Mentioned by Streaming-chan in VA-11 HALL-A. She said that she hated it.
- Fate/hollow ataraxia: Shirou suggests he and Rin have a normal pool party, but due to some poor word choice she thinks he means this trope—plus ten other people. Rin yells that she's never been so insulted by his shamelessness... but notably, she does not cancel the plan, just forbids him from inviting anyone else.
- In one of the earlier threads of Survival of the Fittest version three, Guy Rapide implies that he and Kallie Majors had sex in a pool.
- The Simpsons: Marge and Homer did it once in "Bart of Darkness". The cops tried helicopter surveillance.
"Do not be alarmed! Continue swimming naked! Aw c'mon, continue! C'mon! ...Open fire, Lou."
- American Dad! takes this trope into a rather weird direction. Specifically, with Stan and Roger.
- Stan and Francine engage in this in "Hot Water".
- There's an implied one at the end of the Hey Arnold! episode, "Synchronized Swimming," between Coach Wittenberg and his estranged wife, Tish, while enjoying a late-night float in the community center pool.
Coach Wittenberg: What do you say we implore the mysteries of the deep?Tish Wittenberg: Oh, Jack...Coach Wittenberg: Tish...(both dive underwater)
- South Park: The "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub" episode. Really, the title of the episode says enough.
- Clone High: "Hey, let's all go swimming in my pool! And by pool, I mean bathtub. And by swimming, I mean SEX!"
- Played for Laughs in The Proud Family Movie between Suga Mama and Mad Scientist Dr. Carver the clone, much to the latter's dismay.