A 2016 Canadian LGBT romantic drama, Below Her Mouth is set in Toronto, Canada. Dallas (Erika Linder) a lesbian roofer who just broke up with her girlfriend, meets Jasmine (Natalie Krill) a fashion editor engaged to a man. To her surprise, Jasmine responds quickly to Dallas' overtures, and they begin an affair.
Below Her Tropes:
- Ambiguously Bi: It's left unclear if Jasmine is a very closeted lesbian, or simply bisexual. Her male fiance thinks the former due to her passionate affair with butch lesbian Dallas, but Jasmine doesn't seem to know herself.
- Bathtub Scene: There are two different ones with Jasmine. In one, she's alone and uses the tub's sprayer to stimulate herself. The other has her boyfriend joining Jasmine, after which she gets out and nearly has sex with him but breaks it off. In both cases she's shown completely naked.
- Boyish Short Hair: Dallas has this, as part of her overall butch looks.
- Butch Lesbian: Dallas, who sports short hair, dresses in a very masculine manner, and works at a stereotypically male job along with her sexuality.
- Canada Does Not Exist: Though it's set in Toronto, you'd find it hard to notice if you didn't know.
- Closet Key: Jasmine is quickly attracted to butch lesbian Dallas, though she always thought of herself as straight before. They begin a passionate affair.
- Coitus Ensues: The film actually opens on Dallas and her girlfriend having sex. A number of other sex scenes follow, and although they largely make sense in the story, they're also gratuitous. This has been a main source of criticism toward the film.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Jasmine uses the bathtub's sprayer to stimulate herself.
- Has a Type: Dallas appears to like women who have far more feminine looks than hers, since all of these we see her with do.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Dallas could be easily mistaken for male from a distance and in dim light.
- MasculineFeminine Gay Couple: Dallas is very butch, while Jasmine's quite feminine (although her sexuality is left ambiguous).
- Ms. Fanservice: Natalie Krill and Erika Linder. They're both nude and or in sex scenes frequently.
- No Bisexuals: After he finds her with Dallas, Rile thinks Jasmine is a lesbian. She logically points out they have been together for years, though her sexuality is left ambiguous, and possible bisexuality isn't discussed.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Erika Linder's really Swedish, and though her Canadian accent is good, the real one still occasionally slips through.
- Queer Romance: The affair between Jasmine, who'd never been attracted to women before, and lesbian Dallas forms the basis of the film's plot.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Dallas and Jasmine. They even discuss Dallas being a tomboy (she dislikes the term), but it fits given her pretty masculine looks and job, while Jasmine is the opposite.