Below Her Mouth is a 2016 Canadian LGBT romantic drama film directed by April Mullen.
The story is set in Toronto, Canada. Dallas (Erika Linder) a lesbian roofer who just broke up with her girlfriend, meets Jasmine (Natalie Krill) a fashion editor engaged to a man. To her surprise, Jasmine responds quickly to Dallas' overtures, and they begin an affair.
Below Her Tropes:
- Ambiguously Bi: It's left unclear if Jasmine is a very closeted lesbian, or simply bisexual. Her fiancé thinks the former due to her passionate affair with butch lesbian Dallas, but Jasmine doesn't seem to know herself.
- Bathtub Scene: There are two different ones with Jasmine. In one, she's alone and uses the tub's sprayer to stimulate herself. The other has her fiancé joining Jasmine, after which she gets out and nearly has sex with him but breaks it off. In both cases she's shown completely naked.
- Bedroom Adultery Scene: Jasmine is caught while having sex with Dallas by Rile, Jasmine's fiancé, in the tub.
- Bifauxnen: Dallas is a very androgynous woman who looks more like a pretty boy than anything, with short hair, masculine clothing, a slim build and good-looking boyish facial structure. Her actress Erika Linder is well known for her androgyny when modeling.
- Boyish Short Hair: Dallas has this, as part of her overall butch looks.
- Butch Lesbian: Dallas, who sports short hair, dresses in a very masculine manner, and works at a stereotypically male job along with her sexuality. She's also the top in all the sexual encounters she has with women.
- Canada Does Not Exist: Though it's set in Toronto, you'd find it hard to notice if you didn't know.
- The Casanova: Dallas has a very beautiful girlfriend to start with, then attracts Jasmine as well, who never felt that way for a woman before, and also seduces a stripper quite easily.
- Closet Key: Jasmine is quickly attracted to butch lesbian Dallas, though she always thought of herself as straight before. They begin a passionate affair.
- Hairy Girl: An interesting variation in that the very feminine Jasmine has a full bush but butch lesbian Dallas is completely hairless.
- Has a Type: Dallas appears to like women who have far more feminine looks than hers, since all of those we see her with do.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Dallas could be easily mistaken for male from a distance and in dim light as a result of her short hair with very masculine clothing.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Jasmine, who's a Girly Girl with long hair, discovers she's attracted to women through Dallas while engaged to a man (as a result, whether she's a lesbian or bisexual is left ambiguous.
- Masculine–Feminine Gay Couple: Dallas is very butch, while Jasmine's quite feminine (although her sexuality is left ambiguous).
- Masturbation Means Sexual Frustration: After getting worked up by seeing the Butch Lesbian Dallas work on a roof, Jasmine takes a bath and uses the bathtub's sprayer to stimulate herself while thinking of Dallas.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jasmine and Dallas. They're both nude and or in sex scenes frequently, while they're quite good-looking. On a lesser note, Dallas' first girlfriend Joslyn is also seen nude in a lengthy sex scene with her that opens the film.
- No Bisexuals: After he finds her with Dallas, Rile thinks Jasmine is a lesbian. She logically points out they have been together for years, though her sexuality is left ambiguous, and possible bisexuality isn't discussed.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Erika Linder's really Swedish, and though her Canadian accent is good, the real one still occasionally slips through.
- Queer Romance: The affair between Jasmine, who'd never been attracted to women before, and lesbian Dallas forms the basis of the film's plot.
- R-Rated Opening: The film opens on Dallas and Joslyn having sex at length.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Dallas and Jasmine. They even discuss Dallas being a tomboy (she dislikes the term), but it fits given her pretty masculine looks and job, while Jasmine is the opposite.
- Twofer Token Minority: Joslyn, Dallas' girlfriend at the start, is a woman of East Asian heritage. She's the only person of color in the main cast.
- Two-Person Pool Party: Dallas and Jasmine have sex in the bathtub.
- Uptight Loves Wild: The more conventional and strait-laced Jasmine falls for Dallas, a bold uninhibited woman.