Inevitably, a man is going to stumble on her while she is naked. If not spotted, even the most chivalrous men will have a hard time (heh heh...) looking away. Truth in Television. If spotted, expect lots of yelling, Armor Piercing Slaps or Megaton Punches to ensue. Or maybe not, if the story is on the naughty side... then the guy might actually get lucky.
More often than not, this is entirely accidental from the male, who didn't plan any peeping. Sometimes they'd be attracted by the woman yelling and be rushing to the rescue. If the reason of the yelling is serious, like a water monster attacking, the man can eventually be forgiven his indiscretion. Or maybe they wanted a bath too and what an amazing coincidence that their hot female companion is ass-naked in the very pool they were headed for...
Naturally, a girl bathing outdoors runs a greater risk of being spotted, than if they were in the privacy of their own home. Especially in anime and manga, which makes it seem as if the mere act of disrobing in the wild for bathing is a magnet to virtually any male in a thirty-mile radius. So it's almost bound to happen during a Hotsprings Episode.
If it's the first time they met, may result in Naked First Impression, and eventually Naked on Arrival. Mostly done for fanservice and ship teasing. As shown by the mythological examples below, this is Older Than Feudalism.
Generally distinct from similar occurrences in an Onsen Episode, since those are usually indoors, though outdoor onsens also exist and are often popular bathing spots. So it's not uncommon for guys to try taking in 'the scenery' as it were. Guys caught peep in this fashion are referred to as "Peeping Toms".
Often reminds women that they Can't Bathe Without a Weapon. May result in Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen. A common hazard of Drum Bathing. For the rare moment where the bather asks the peeper to join her, see Two-Person Pool Party.
- Aho Girl: Gender Flipped. Yoshiko decides that she's going to peep on Akuru, and somehow the Morals Chairwoman gets roped into it too through Insane Troll Logic. Akuru seems to have been expecting it and throws a bucket at Yoshiko the instant she looks over the fence.
- Cage of Eden:
- Akira gets a glimpse of Sexy Stewardess Oomori while she's bathing in a lake. He later gets a clear view on Mami, as well.
- His several classmates try to peek when the girls are bathing (and often are caught).
- Happens in episode 19 of Code Geass between Kallen and Suzaku. This actually was an accident, but it's more important because it marks the point where Suzaku learns about Kallen's Secret Identity and her being a Black Knight.
- In a filler episode of Dragon Ball, a bunch of pigs from Oolong's village attempt to peep on ChiChi while bathing in a spring.
- .hack//GIFT features a peeping scene in the ending credits where Subaru, BT, Mimiru are all bathing in a hotspring and Sora, Silver Knight and Crim are peeping on them. Of course Silver Knight has a Nosebleed.
- This happens at the beginning. Kagome, bathing nude in a cold stream to get rid of the grim and blood of her first fights in the past, spots Inu-Yasha spying on her. "SIT!" Kagome thinks he is peeping on her, while old Kaede guesses correctly that the hanyo aims rather at stealing a fragment of Shikon no Tama.
- Happens repeatedly to Inu-Yasha and Kagome, even more so after Miroku and Sango show up. Actually, Kagome meets Miroku like this, when he's peeping at her while she's at an outdoor bath. She guesses someone's watching her, tries to use a rock to hit him... and hits Inu-Yasha instead.
- The first scene above is very similar to one in the OVA short Fire Tripper, also by Rumiko Takahashi, which is considered the inspiration for InuYasha. In there, male protagonist Shukumaru doesn't exactly hide that he's ogling, and almost gets nailed by female lead Suzuko with a boulder as a result.
- In Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu Kurz and Sōsuke's classmates go to great lengths to peek at the girls. And Sōsuke, being Crazy-Prepared, is more than willing to make sure they don't. With turret machineguns and landmines. Shinji Kazama does manage to get to the women's side of the bath... only to fly face-first into Sōsuke's crotch, who calmly informs him that after midnight, the men and women swap sides.
- While in Japan, the group decides to relax at a bathhouse. A team of agents is sent to secretly guard them. One of the agents spies on the bathing girls with binoculars, but Rory Mercury looks in his direction and glares, causing him to get scared and drop the binoculars. His superiors assure that he's over 400 meters away and there's no way he could have been seen, but he decides to stop peeping and do his job.
- Bozes and Princess Pina comment that in their homeland beyond the Gate, it is usually the women who try to peep on the men.
- In Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, this happens on three separate occasions with Yellow Belmont.
- Jim overhears Yellow Singing in the Shower and approaches out of curiousity, initially impressed to see a make-shift shower. Yellow turns around to see him watching nearby and teases "Don't peek!" in an effeminate voice and pose, causing Jim to shudder.
- Yellow strips down to his underwear (which looks conspicuously like panties) to go for a swim, while a jungle prince, mistaking Yellow for a female, watches from a distance.
- His first encounter with Solzie happens when he catches her spying on him during a Waterfall Shower.
- Neo-Chinese Fighter Sai Saici spots Neo-Russian Natasha skinny dipping in the Guyanas arc of Mobile Fighter G Gundam. She immediately gets her gun and shoots at him.
- Different characters, but more or less repeated verbatim in episode 2 of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team. Shiro Amada catches Kiki Rosita bathing in a river and she shoots at him.
- In Kishin Douji Zenki, Soma Miki spots Anju taking a bath during a break in their training. She's not amused.
- Akamatsu gave us the Pararakelse arc of Love Hina and two examples at the oasis. The first is immediately after they arrive there and jump into the water without even bothering to undress — not that it matters. Later, Naru starts getting all mushy and forcefully tells Keitarō to go over and tell Nyamo that he's going to help her with the excavation, right away. Nyamo is bathing at the time. Keitarō acts about as embarrassed as you'd expect. Naru also acts exactly as you'd expect. Poor Keitarô...
- Lupin III: The Secret of Twilight Gemini: Near the end of the film, Lupin awakes to find himself alone in the Elder's tent and decides to look for Lara. As per the trope, he finds her bathing in the oasis, which is when he finally sees she has the other half of the Twilight.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!:
- During the exploration of the Mahora Library (which is more like a huge underground "dungeon", complete with a subterranean river), Negi first walks in on Makie, Kaede and Ku-Fei showering under a waterfall (but they don't mind much and tease him), and then on Asuna swimming, whom he can't help but ogle shortly.
- Much later, Chisame is bathing in a lake when she wanders around a stone outcropping to find Jack Rakan showering under a waterfall. This bothers her much more than it bothers him.
- Maken-ki!: Subverted for the sake of comedy in chapter 33, while the group is vacationing on Okino Island. The girls hogtie the guys in straw mats, before heading off to the hot spring to bathe. Takeru and Usui escape, moments later, and try to make it there in time to see some skin, but Yuuka foils them by rigging the area with traps. By the time they reach the spring, the girls had already finished and were nowhere to be seen. Even so, Takeru didn't consider it a loss, since the water was still warm from the girls' naked bodies.
- During the Training Camp arc of My Hero Academia, Mineta uses his Quirk to climb the wall dividing the hot springs and get an eyeful of the girls... only to run into Kouta, who pushes him back down. Then he ends up accidentally getting an eyeful of the girls, and he falls off the wall due to the shock.
- This is done to the point of exhaustion with Jiraiya. In fact, during the Third Hokage's funeral, it is revealed that he did this while he was in training.
- In a filler episode, Hinata bathes naked (while also practicing a new taijutsu) at night while on a mission. Naruto wakes up to pee, and ends up watching her, though he doesn't realize it's her or that she is naked.
- Pokémon: In the original uncensored version of The Electric Tale of Pikachu, Ash and Brock spy on Misty as she massages her breasts beneath a Waterfall Shower.
- Ranma ½:
- Ranma, Genma, and Sōun are determined to find the scroll with Old Master Happōsai's Dangerous Forbidden Technique before he does. They find the location (a rock in the middle of a hot spring), leap down with a battle cry... and are immediately pelted with dozens upon dozens of buckets, since the hot spring is a women-only outdoor bath. Did anyone expect less from the Dirty Old Man? Now they must find a way through this impenetrable defense before Happōsai (disguised as a monkey) retrieves the scroll.
- This is how Rouge and Pantyhose Tarō met. Rouge is taking a bath in a hot spring in China, and Tarō bursts through the bushes. She thinks he's trying to assault her... he thinks she is attacking him (with her source of power... long story). Cue buckets and rocks thrown in his face.
- Yahiko and Sanosuke attempt to peep on Kaoru and Megumi in the Rurouni Kenshin's Hot Springs Episode. It backfires since the girls are actually wearing robes because they guessed that the guys would try that on them, and they end up drenched instead.
- Subverted twice in Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!. This happens to Anna, but it turns out to be a nightmare. Later, Kukarachov apparently sneaks up on Luna bathing, before revealing that he is not watching her, nor is he interested in her.
- Pictured above: In the 7th episode of Shinzo, Yakumo is looked at while bathing in a lake by monster warriors who try to attack her. But Mushra shows up and fights them — and gives Yakumo a towel.
- It seems to happen a few times to Lina Inverse of Slayers. It's usually a bad idea for any male to walk in on her while she's bathing, because Lina tends to overreact. "FIREBALL!"
- In the second episode of Soul Eater, Tsubaki throws a shuriken at Black☆Star for peeping at her while she is bathing in a lake. Strangely, she seems angrier at the fact that he was caught than the fact that he was peeping. It becomes Fridge Brilliance when you realize that Tsubaki is the most perverted member of Spartoi.
- A peeping attempt committed by Kyu and Kinta, which finished with Megu going berserk on them... actually provides a clue to a mystery in Detective School Q. The person Megu was sharing a hot spring bath with was the case's Sympathetic Murderer, and she tried to use it as an alibi but the detectives weren't fooled.
- In Tenchi Muyo!, Noboyuki attempts this. Too bad Ryoko decided at that moment to go grab Tenchi.
- In To Love-Ru, Saruyama would never miss a chance to peak on girls bath and would bring Rito along and make him take the blame if ever caught. He always fails.
- Happens in the manga Vaelber Saga. Note that the bodyguard watching the princess bath nude in the sea is female, but no less affected. And also, there is a huge mutant monster in the water...
- Inspired from mythology, William Bouguereau's Nymphs and Satyr◊ demonstrates a different possibility if you get caught.
- The Biblical stories of David and Bathsheba or Susanna and the Elders (see in the Myths & Religion section) were both popular subjects for painters.
- In episode 17 of Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk, the Elf bathes in a river under the fascinated eyes of the men of the party. It is hard to tell if the peeping can be called "accidental" here, considering she doesn't care at all that they are watching, even inviting them to join. The guys are also trying not to look, with mixed results.
- In the French graphic novel series Black Moon Chronicles, this is how the hero Wismerhill met his first paramour, an elven female warrior, bathing in a river. At first she's mad at the peeper, throwing her bastard sword in a tree next to him (she may bathe nude, but she never parts with her weapon). However the virgin hero reacts quite innocently, having never seen a naked woman before, and she quickly warms up to him.
- In issue 2 of Bone, Fone Bone gets scorched by a dragon before he hears something and goes to investigate... and he finds the beautiful Thorn dropping her pants for a soak. Love at First Sight for Fone, followed by his blush re-igniting his hat...
- In Cavewoman: Castaway, one of the castaways spies on Meriem while she is bathing in a lagoon on the island. When she works out what has happened, Meriem takes another bath to lure him out of hiding.
- DC Comics: Odd though it may seem, Batman has done this to Wonder Woman once.
- In the Furry Comic Katmandu, the two disparate male/female pair take turns washing up in a pond at an oasis. Each can't resist taking a secret peek at other in turn and don't get caught while thoroughly enjoying the view.
- Much like in Black Moon Chronicles, the first issue of Les Légendaires: Origines reveals that this is how Danael and Jadina met: Danael accidentally fell in the water thanks to his ride's stupidity and arrived right in the river where Jadina was bathing. Jadina's reaction was to shoot at him with her magic staff. Sort of ironical when you realize that, in the present series, their couple is the one that get along the best in the team.
- New 52: In Superboy #10, Superboy calls out that he's started their campfire, but when she doesn't answer, he searches and is stunned to walk in on Wonder Girl (Cassandra Sandsmark) bathing in a lake. Wonder Girl angrily calls him a pervert and tells him to turn around. Superboy turns around, but puts his hand on the ground and smiles. Wonder Girl remembers that he can "see" through what he is touching (kind of like Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender) and angrily throws a rock at the back of his head to get him to cut it out.
- Tomahawk first comes across Moon Fawn (his eventual wife) when she is bathing in a creek. He then saves her from a bear attack.
- Fanfictions of The Lord of the Rings:
- In Okay, NOW Panic! (link), the sequel to Don't Panic! (link), Penny, having gotten used to the relative reliability of hot baths in Imladris (compared to the wilds of Middle-Earth, and certainly better than the ones at The Prancing Pony) and even to the work involved in preparing one, then found, upon traveling again, that she had to bathe in a rather cold mountain stream. Her reaction to the temperature was loud enough to bring one of the elf men posted to guard them looking to see what was the matter. A brief explanation sent him away, amused.
- Defied Trope in The Awkward Adventures of Meghan Whimblesby. Fearing this trope, Meghan takes a quick bath in the stream. She is out, dressed, and walking away from the stream, when Legolas arrives. Meghan mentions her bath, Legolas apologizes, but Meghan laughs. "You didn't get a free show or anything, so we're good."
- Defied again in Home with the Fairies. The bandits want to watch as Maddie and the other prisoners bathe in a stream. They all refuse to bathe.
- I Am NOT a Mary Sue is a parody of bad fanfiction. Leggieluver 123 writes a story where Legolas finds the main character, Sornif, in a stream, and stares at her naked beauty. "Secretly though, she was pleased." But when Caroline falls into the story and becomes Sornif, she is much less pleased to be in this scene.
- In The Hobbit fanfic The Monstrous Company of Thorin Oakenshield, this trope is played with — Bilbo wants to bathe in a stream and Bofur walks by and actually asks if watching is allowed before Bilbo takes his clothes off.
- Kitsune no Ken: Fist of the Fox: In Hinata's second meeting with Yugito (the first being at the Hyuga family's annual ball when Yugito's there to warn Naruto about Akatsuki), the heiress goes to the older woman's penthouse suite, only to find Yugito bathing in an artificial Waterfall Shower on the suite's balcony. Despite her initial surprise and some moments of blushing at Yugito's daring, Hinata winds up watching for a good few minutes, even briefly and unconsciously comparing her own chest size to Yugito's. For her part, Yugito merely smirks and asks Hinata if she enjoyed the view, but otherwise doesn't embarrass the younger woman about it (much). This later turns out to have been an Invoked Trope, as Yugito admits to Itachi that, knowing beforehand that Hinata was coming to visit, she deliberately set up the situation so as to shock Hinata's prim-and-proper genteelness and to see the resulting reaction.
- In the Discworld of A.A. Pessimal, the Guild of Assassins takes its students out on increasingly more grueling and exacting wilderness expeditions. These are usually gender-separated, to avoid an extra complication that the directing staff don't need to police. Supervising teacher Johanna Smith-Rhodes is aware of what people can end up smelling like after a few days of living rough combined with physical exertion. Her mantra is "You can be clean or you can be modest. I prefer clean." Outdoor baths are pragmatically enforced on the girls for this reason whenever a convenient river or lake shows up. And because Johanna isn't naive, and knows what to expect when thirty or so teenage girls and their teachers take a cleansing bathe together, she always details armed guards with orders to shoot any Peeping Toms trying their luck. Some men have indeed been dissuaded the pointed way.
- In Pokémon Reset Bloodlines, when Ash's group reaches Cinnabar, a group of guys attempt this at the Big Riddle Inn's hot springs. It backfires because they trigger a security measure that causes the water to boil too hot if somebody sticks too close to the wall dividing the men and women's sides (Blaine installed it on both sides because an old woman tried to sneak in with a screwdriver to do that).
- The Adventures of Prince Achmed features Achmed hiding in the bushes and watching while Peri Baru and her handmaidens bathe in a lake.
- Inverted and Gender Inverted in Mulan. Sweet Polly Oliver Mulan, (posing as young soldier Ping) is mid-bath when her fellow soldiers Ling, Yao and Chien-Po decide they want to wash up. The sequence is marked by Mulan sinking as low in the water as possible, desperately trying to make a hasty exit, maintain her male disguise and avoid getting an eyeful of her nude comrades, who are guilelessly trying to befriend "Ping" with a little good-natured water fight.
- In Wonder Woman, Steve Trevor stumbles upon some bathing Amazons. The other Amazons are not pleased.
- In Almost Heroes, Leslie Edwards (Matthew Perry) is looking through his telescope and happens upon the bathing beauty Shaquinna. When Bartholomew Hunt (Chris Farley) intrudes, he takes a peek, but at first sees her (male) owner.
- Gender-reversed in The Big Parade when Jim's girlfriend catches his buddies under a homemade shower.
- Canyon Passage: After Bragg ambushes Logan and Lucy in the forest, he comes across two Indian girls bathing in a pool. He later murders (and probably rapes) one of them.
- The escaping German soldiers in Cross of Iron encounter a squad of female Russian soldiers in this way. The first one they see is bathing outside in a large wooden barrel.
- In Date with an Angel, Jim sees the eponymous angel bathing in a pool. He stares for a few seconds, then gets embarrassed and leaves.
- In Dragonslayer, this is how the protagonist discovers that the "boy" he is accompanying is Not as Advertised.
- Forbidden Planet: Commander Adams walks in on Altaira bathing nude in a pond. He then asks her to put some clothes on, to which she responds with puzzlement.
- Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks, the Depraved Dwarf Genz spies upon Maria and Krista while they are bathing in the mineral bath in the caves.
- Seen in House of Flying Daggers. It turns out that the bathing damsel was quite aware of being ogled, and didn't seem to mind.
- The Legend of Frenchie King: the Sarrazin brothers go to the river and see the Leroi sisters swimming naked in it. Then Maria arrives, chews her brothers out and herds them back home.
- The eponymous heroine spies on Isabel as she takes a Waterfall Shower in a jungle lagoon in the Italian film Luana, Girl Tarzan.
- The miniseries Magical Legend of the Leprechauns uses this as a Meet Cute. Jack is exploring the area around his vacation cabin and stumbles upon the lovely Kathleen bathing in the river. He tries to flee, but his foot is caught in a tree root. He gets pummeled by pebbles for his troubles.
- Manon des Sources (Manon of the Springs): Ugolin develops an interest in Manon after seeing her bathe naked in the mountains.
- In The Man with the Golden Gun, James Bond visits a billionaire's compound, and comes across a young woman skinny-dipping in a fountain. (And amazingly enough, she flirts with him.)
- Gender-reversed in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Maid Marian catches Robin bathing in a pool under a waterfall.
- In The Ribald Tales of Robin Hood, Friar Tuck spies on three maidens Skinny Dipping in a pond before he loses his balance and topples into the water.
- In A Serious Man, when Larry Gopnik goes to the roof of his house to fix the antennae, he peeks at his neighbor, Mrs. Samsky sunbathing in the nude (an allusion to the story of David and Bathsheba).
- Sheena: Vic Casey finds Sheena showering under a waterfall after she rescues him. He's embarassed, but she doesn't understand the problem.
- A rather frequent occurrence in softcore pornography. One example is Six Swedes on a Campus.
- Done in Swamp Thing when we're shown Alice bathing and Swamp Thing watching it.
- Gender-reversed in Yentl where the title character is passing as male to go to university, and her compatriots — and the man she is in love with — all go swimming nude.
- In Your Highness, Thadeous spies on Isabel bathing in a lake. Fabious arrives and scolds him, but finds he can't look away either. Isabel spots them and they awkwardly try to hide, but she just gives them a Death Glare and continues bathing.
- In The Belgariad, Ce'Nedra goes bathing and Garion is sent to keep an eye on her. Averted, because she's quite happy for him to see her, but he's too embarassed to look. He is actually "sent to keep an eye on her" in an attempt to invoke this trope and spark a romance since they are royal heirs and scheduled to marry.
- Rowen sees Tanalasta in Beyond the High Road, but it isn't a problem... until the Royal Magician sneaks up on him:
Vangerdahast: And you may consider yourself lucky to escape with a dunking. Spying on a royal princess's bath could be deemed a crime against the crown.
Rowen: I wasn't spying!
Vangerdahast: No? Just peeping?
Tanalasta: Vangerdahast! You owe Rowen an apology. I asked him to keep watch while I bathed.
Vangerdahast: I doubt you asked him to watch you. (glowering in Rowen's direction) Had you been guarding the princess instead of leering at her, you would have heard me coming.
- In A Brother's Price, Jerin's grandmothers stumbled upon their later husband while he was taking a bath ... in a place they were raiding. They decided to steal him, too. This trope is heavily implied.
- Discworld: Invoked but averted in The Last Continent, where the other wizards make it very clear that while Mrs Whitlow has gone to bathe in a pool with water lilies, the Senior Wrangler is going to stay where they can see him.
- Gilthanas came upon his Nubile Savage/shapeshifted dragon Love Interest bathing in the second book of the Dragonlance Chronicles.
- In Guy Gavriel Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry, Dave sees the goddess of hunting bathing. No man of Fionavar may see her in her bath and live. Luckily, Dave is not a man of Fionavar.
- Kate Shugak: In Less Than a Treason, Kate is relaxing in the hot spring on her homestead when a group of orienteerers come crashing in on her — not knowing there was a homestead there as it is not marked on the maps.
- The Name of the Wind: Kvothe has one of these moments when Denna is accidentally drugged. Despite her increasingly explicit offers, he doesn't take her up on it both because he doesn't want to take advantage of her and because he loathes the drug in question.
- Played with in Red Storm Rising. Weatherman turned hero is actually guarding the young Icelandic lady they had rescued earlier. He tries to be a gentleman, but movement catches the eye... She pokes gentle fun at him over it, and promises, when they switch roles, not too look too much.
- A Room with a View contains an accidental example in which it is the men (George, Freddy and Mr. Beebe) bathing and splashing around naked in a pond when Lucy, her mother and Cecil inadvertently come upon them.
- In Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, a woman taking a bath unguarded is just asking for trouble, since the ambient magic in the land tends to make stories come true — even the bawdy songs and barroom tales.
- Tamora Pierce's Tortall Universe:
- In Protector of the Small, several boys try to catch Kel peeing, but get driven away by sparrows first. She gets a separate bathing spot with the Shang Wildcat (the only other woman on the expedition), so nobody tries to catch her bathing.
- In the Alanna series, the girl disguised as a boy has this problem when her male friends go swimming — and want her to swim as well.
- In the Raymond Feist's The Rift War Cycle novel Prince of the Blood, Jimmy the Hand comes across Gamina (a mind reader) bathing, and his first thought is "It's the most perfect bottom I've ever seen." Her startled telepathic response knocks him out. The next day they are married....
- In Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, Bell is unwittingly taken to peep on the bathing girls by Hermes, who ends up tripping him and making him land in the middle of the girls. Luckily for Bell, Pervert Revenge Mode is subverted, as the girls are mostly embarrassed and impressed by his "audacity". Bell himself is so flustered that he practically runs on water while fleeing the scene.
- China Beach: In the pilot episode, 1LT Colleen McMurphy is taking a shower and a helicopter pilot flies over the women's showers and she waves to the soldiers. One of them takes pictures of her showering.
- In Chinese Paladin, Ling'er and Xiao Yao meet via this.
- Frontier Circus: In "The Inheritance", Hideko comes up on Casey and Duffy while they are bathing in a lake, offering to scrub Casey's back. Casey has to keep telling her to turn around.
- Game of Thrones:
- Unsullied soldier Grey Worm stares at Missandei who is bathing downriver from his soldiers. The Unsullied have been castrated as children so the women think nothing of bathing near them, so Missandei is embarrassed and confused over why he's doing it.
- Spying on a servant girl bathing (and stealing her robe) is part of Tyrions facetious "confession" during his trial in the Vale.
- Legend of the Seeker:
- Richard does this to Kahlan in episode 1.06. It's played for just about everything, but especially for laughs and fanservice.
Richard: Kahlan, about what happened back, [points at river] I didn't see anything.
Kahlan: Richard, you should never lie to a Confessor.
[Richard misses a step]
- Happens again with Richard stumbling upon Kahlan (or rather, a magical doppelganger of her). He loses his sword in the process. More fanservice ensues.
- Richard does this to Kahlan in episode 1.06. It's played for just about everything, but especially for laughs and fanservice.
- Little House on the Prairie: The 1977 episode "My Ellen" sees Laura, Mary and their friend Ellen Taylor go skinny-dipping and three boys trying to get a glimpse of the girls in the buff. Upon realizing they're being watched, the girls briefly go under until the boys go away... but this indirectly leads to tragedy for Ellen.
- In Power Rangers Wild Force, of all things, Cole spots Merrick bathing and sees that the wolf pup with him is the same one that was tagging along with Enigmatic Minion Zen-Aku in an earlier episode. The fact that he apparently spent a good little while watching didn't go unnoticed by viewers. The same occurred in the source material (Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger), even down to using the same footage.
- Primeval: Nick Cutter catches Helen bathing in the first season. In the Late Cretaceous. Fortunately she doesn't mind, either because she's technically his wife or because she's, well, a bit loose.
- Robin Hood: Sweet Polly Oliver Djaq gets caught washing herself.
- 7Days: Parker catches Olga, when Olga is on a wilderness retreat and Parker follows her.
- Vikings: Our introduction to Princess Aslaug.
- Happens a few times in Xena: Warrior Princess. A notable one is when hapless comic sidekick Joxer stumbles upon a group of Amazons bathing... the penalty for which is death (apparently by pro wrestling).
- Mentioned in the Leonard Cohen song "Hallelujah" in a reference to the King David story in the Bible (see below):
Well, your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya.
- King David did this with Bathsheba, sparking his interest in her. This led to The Uriah Gambit in The Bible. It gets messier after that....
- Also in the Bible (accepted by Catholics and the Orthodox but considered apocryphal by Protestants), the story of Susanna and the Elders. A very popular subject for paintings for obvious reasons.
- Seeing goddesses or nymphs bathing was a dangerous hazard in Greek Mythology:
- Blind Seer Tiresias (in Callimachus' version of the legend, at least) lost his sight as punishment for stumbling upon the Goddess Athena bathing. When she realized it was completely unintentional, Athena gave him the ability to tell the future as an apology.
- Acteon the hunter was changed into a stag (and killed by his own hounds) by the goddess Artemis for having seen her naked while bathing in the woods.
- This happened to Artemis a lot. The only one she didn't turn into an animal was Siproites. She turned him into a woman. Which is still pretty harsh, considering how sexist the ancient Greeks were.
- This is how many Shapeshifting Lover tales begin. Well, the ones that use magical cloaks or skins, like selkies (although in that case it's when they get out of the water) and swan maidens.
- Hindu goddess Parvati created Ganesha to guard her while bathing. The reason he has an elephant head is because Shiva (Parvati's husband) wanted to watch his wife in the bath; Ganesha refused to step out of the way, so Shiva lost his temper and ripped Ganesha's head off. After he calmed down, he took the head off the first thing that he saw (an elephant) and put it on Ganesha's shoulders. No harm done.
- In Armenian mythology, the goddess Astghik habitually took a bath in a certain stream every night; some romantic young men eager to see the goddess' exquisite beauty lit a big fire on a nearby hill, but Astghik, in order to foil their scheme, caused the entire area, the plain of Mush, to be covered by a thick fog. Hence the name of Mush, which means mist in Armenian.
- Agarest Senki has five of this. All are in a similar format with Vincent going high while he's watching the girls taking an outdoor bath. He then gets beaten up by Borgnine.
- Breath of Fire:
- In the first game, the whole party has to peek on the ruler of Tunlan, to get the code to open the castle vault, which is tattooed on her back.
- Breath of Fire IV is one of the most infamous case of Bowdlerization. While patrolling for the girls, Ryu gets a case of Accidental Pervert when he attempts to peep in on the girls while bathing after hearing them comparing their sizes.
- Arguably happens twice in Lunar: Eternal Blue. The first time Lucia fails to understand the point of separate bathing areas and walks into the male half of the hot springs while Hiro is bathing stark naked. The second time Hiro accidentally ends up walking in on Lucia as she bathes in a lake, only to discover that she had since developed the concept of modesty.
- Mad Dog II: Wild Gold: If you take the Buckskin Bonnie path, you first come across Bonnie bathing in the river.
- Optionally happens twice in Riviera: The Promised Land. Not only does Ein gets away with them, all the girls but a guard fairy will act like nothing happened.
- In Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, Navarre admits to having done this. Unfortunately, he got some rather extreme instant karma as he tripped over his lowered pants and drowned, which is how he ended up as a ghost.
- Tales of Symphonia:
- Similar scenario, except Zelos is actually trying to peep on the girls, whilst Lloyd chastizes him, gets overheard, and while Zelos bolts, Lloyd gets caught.
- Happens in the sequel too: when you revisit the same hot spring, the new main character Emil finds Zelos peeping, when Lloyd also shows up, Zelos bolts, Tenebrae leads Emil away and Lloyd ends up getting caught (again) and berated by everyone else.
- This also happens in Tales of Vesperia courtesy of Raven, but he manages to get away with it. Had Rita found out, he'd probably be dead.
- Yggdra Union has one scene involve Yggdra taking a bath, and the fairy who invited her accidentally take a peek at her.
- Masuji is peeping on hot springs bathers in scene 5 of Seiyuu CRUSH!.
- In DevilBear, while the Daivas are sharing the Hot Springs.
- Errant Story:
- Played with when Meji wants Ian to see her bathing, since she likes him and wants him to make a move. He's too much of a gentleman, though.
- Played straight when Jon comes across Sarine bathing. He insists that he's not peeping on her, he's watching her because he doesn't trust her. She plays it cool and they have a chat, but she's still annoyed by how blatant he is about it.
- The unnamed female protagonist◊ of Flaws (a fan webcomic in the style of The Order of the Stick) has a game-related reason for it happening:
"I took compulsive skinny dipper. Seemed like an OK idea back home... no river for miles."
- Another Order of the Stick-inspired comic: Murphy's Law has two simultaneous peeping scenes◊, each one gender-reversed.
- Oglaf features one strip where a woman is bathing erotically in a convenient body of water, thinking to herself that doing this just perpetuates the cycle of bathe-be peeped on-have sexual encounter-bathe. Another woman strides through the bushes and into the body of water, and starts doing plain bathing, accompanied by such unsexy actions as blowing her nose into the water. The first woman follows her lead to break the cycle, causing the peeper in the bushes to lose interest and walk away.
- Sluggy Freelance: Oasis is introduced exactly this way during a fight between Bun-Bun and Torg: "Game called on account of naked chick."
- In Sword Princess Amaltea, Amaltea tries to spy on Ossian while he cleans himself in a lake, out of curiosity of never seen a naked man before. It helps to show that, somehow, both have switched genders.
- Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic:
- The comic pretty much starts this way (even though inside a cavern), with Gren the goblin girl doing the bathing and Bob the beholder doing the peeping.
- The one-year anniversary strip presents a gender-flipped version of the same scene.
- The sixth-year anniversary strip has another repeat of the scene, with Gren's sister Jalla and Bob's brother Bob2.
- As well as a guest comic strip, with a gorgeous elf maiden taking Gren's spot, and a beholderling instead of Bob.
- The Simpsons:
- Homer takes in a biker gang and the family is forced to live in the backyard. Lisa complains about bathing with the hose, saying "Rod and Todd are watching." They are.
- In "Homerazzi", someone catches Homer showering in the street with a fire hydrant.
- Another episode has Homer and Marge skinny dipping in the swimming pool, only to be spied upon by the Springfield police helicopter.
Wiggum: [through a megaphone] DO NOT BE ALARMED. CONTINUE SWIMMING NAKED.