The Journey of Flower (花千骨, Huā Qiān Gǔ) is a 2015 Chinese series starring Zhao Li Ying and Wallace Huo. It's based on the novel of the same name by Fresh Guo Guo. A sequel, The Journey of Flower 2, aired later in 2015, though it has only one of the original main characters and a vastly different setting.
Hua Qian Gu is shunned by her village because she was born with a strange scent that attracts demons. She goes to the Chang Liu Sect for help. Her life quickly becomes more complicated when she falls in love with Bai Zi Hua, the Sect Leader, and discovers she's the descendant of a goddess.
Two versions of the series exist: the fifty-eight-episode TV version and the fifty-episode DVD version. The DVD version is available on YouTube with English subtitles.
Contains examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: Qian Gu and Tang Bao use a magic mirror to see what Zi Hua's doing. He's getting ready for a bath, and they're just in time to see him shirtless.
- Affectionate Nickname:
- Dongfang Yu Qing nicknames Qian Gu "Bones".
- Qian Gu nicknames Qian Mo "Big Sister" because she mistakes him for a woman.
- All Love Is Unrequited / Love Dodecahedron: Zi Xun is in love with Zi Hua, who's in love with Qian Gu. Dongfang Yu Qing, Xuan Lang and Qian Mo also fall in love with Qian Gu, who's in love with Zi Hua. Qing Shui is in love with Xuan Lang.
- A Minor Kidroduction: Qian Gu first appears as a baby in the prologue.
- Anyone Can Die: Tang Bao, Qian Mo, Shuo Feng, Dongfang Yu Qing, and many others die during the series.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Xuan Lang gets one in episode twelve.
- Bittersweet Ending: Many of Qian Gu's friends are dead by the end. Qian Gu dies but is revived without her memories so she and Zi Hua can start over.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: The YouTube subtitles fall victim to the "overly-literal translation" variety. Case in point: translating a gate's name as "Water Prosperous Gate". Apparently the subtitler translated each character individually without considering whether the result was coherent.
- Blood from the Mouth: Often shows up when someone's injured or killed.
- Burn the Witch!: The villagers attempt to do this to Qian Gu by setting fire to her house.
- Cool Mask: The master of the Pavilion of Strange Decay (otherwise known as Dongfang Yu Qing) wears a full-face mask decorated with peacock feathers.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Qian Gu mistakes Qian Mo for a woman and calls him "Big Sister".
- Evil Costume Switch:
- Zi Xun starts wearing dark colours after defecting to the demons' side.
- Qian Gu starts wearing more make-up and dark red clothes after she becomes a demon.
- Guyliner: Qian Mo wears a lot of make-up, including eyeliner.
- Humanity Ensues: Tang Bao, a spirit worm, turns into a human in episode thirteen.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: It's a Chinese fantasy drama, so all the men have long hair and most of them are very pretty.
- Love Makes You Evil: Zi Xun's unrequited love for Zi Hua leads to her turning into a demon.
- Merlin and Nimue / Teacher/Student Romance: Between Qian Gu and Zi Hua.
- Missing Mum: Qian Gu's mother died when she was born.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Qian Gu's efforts to save Zi Hua's life end up reviving the Demon Lord.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: Dongfang Yu Qing attempts to compliment Qian Gu. Instead he accidentally tells her she's simple-minded.
- Outdoor Bath Peeping: An accidental version: Qian Gu is bathing outdoors when Dongfang Yu Qing stumbles across her. Both of them are mortified.
- Playing Sick: Xuan Lang and Dongfang Yu Qing both pretend to be sick to get Qian Gu's attention.
- Princeling Rivalry: Between Xuan Lang and Xuan Cong. Xuan Cong dislikes Xuan Lang and wants to be emperor, while Xuan Lang has no interest in the throne but becomes the next emperor anyway.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Qian Mo's eyes briefly flash red when he's especially angry with Zi Hua.
- Replacement Goldfish: At first Qian Mo treats Qian Gu as a replacement for his dead younger sister. This makes it slightly awkward when he later falls in love with her.
- Semi-Divine: Qian Gu is the only living descendant of the goddess Nü Wa.
- Toplessness from the Back: A rare male version. Qian Gu and Tang Bao accidentally spy on Zi Hua while he's undressing and see him shirtless from behind.
- Viking Funeral: Lu Qiao's body is set on fire, though there are no boats involved.