It was a lie.
In this reality, Warhammer 40,000 as a universe exists. Shinji was found as a young boy and trained by Khnemu, a displaced Sorcerer of the Thousand Sons Legion, and learns the ways of plotting and scheming, along with a few other useful skills.
When summoned by Gendo to Tokyo-3, Shinji begins his own machinations to repay Gendo for his "kindness". Step by step he earns Misato's loyalty, Rei's affection and Asuka's love, turns the latter two into powerful allies and converts them to Chaos, training them to use their newfound powers, at the same that he slays Angels in spectacularly gruesome ways.
And then, right when it looks like if nothing can stop him, things go awry.
After completing the fic, Academia Nut wrote an uncanonical -and highly controversial and flammable- Mega Crossover side-story that never got finished. A while after he wrote still another non-canonical side-story using -an awfully out-ot-character- post-TS Shinji, but it became a Dead Fic after two chapters.
Compare with Once More with Feeling, Shinji And Warhammer 40 K (another Warhammer 40,000 Crossover featuring a very different Shinji) and Children of an Elder God, that uses similar themes (the Children becoming more than human due to the action Eldritch Abominations and picking up powers as they kill things), but merging the Eva universe with the Cthulhu Mythos. Academia Nut has stated that "Thousand Shinji" is the lovechild of those three fics.
Go to Gods Angels And Kings, Last Child of Krypton and Superwomen of Eva 2: Lone Heir of Krypton to see more Eva crossovers. Check Advice and Trust, The Child of Love, Evangelion 303, Higher Learning, The Ikaris, Nobody Dies, The One I Love Is, Fading Into The Stolen Light, or Mobile Fighter Evangelion to see other AU Eva fics. Check A Crown of Stars, HERZ, Neon Genesis Evangelion R, Scar Tissue, Walking in the Shadow of Dreams and Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide to see other Eva continuation fics. Check Doing It Right This Time, RE-TAKE, The Second Try to see Peggy Sue Eva stories.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: After their ascension to godhood, the new Chaos Gods (aka Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato) have a miriad of shapes and faces visible to mortals, but they usually take human form to talk to their followers or keep themselves grounded.
- Aborted Arc: The story is completed, but after finishing it the author said that there might one day be a sequel, but he never got around to write it (and he declared that The Open Door was un-canonical and not the actual sequel).
- Abstract Apotheosis: At the climax of the story, the main characters became the New Chaos Gods. So that Shinji became the god of Deceit, Change and Hope; Asuka, goddess of War, Wrath and Valour; Rei, Godess of Demise and Joy; and Misato, Goddess of Pleasure and Perfection.
- Abusive Parents: Gendo becomes more abusive than in canon. Rather ignoring his son, he set to break him because he needed him meek and easily manipulable. One of his worst actions was getting Asuka's best friend killed because it'd hurt Asuka, and Asuka being hurt would hurt Shinji.
- Acceptable Targets: Shinji, Asuka and Rei's victims were always the kind of people no one would shed tears for. Rei's "pets" killed at least three SEELE henchmen by accident after they broke into her home. Asuka murdered thugs and rapists. Shinji targeted SEELE's minions to protect or avenge his family. And Gendo and SEELE are worse than the Children.
- Accidental Pervert: When Shinji and Asuka set to fighting Gaghiel, Asuka sat in Shinji's lap, and Shinji's body reacted accordingly.
- Ace Pilot: Asuka is not only her squad's best mecha pilot but also her world's master of physical combat. Her final battle against the MP-Evas is described in-story as "a hive mind of nine killing machines versus the perfect single warrior."
- Action Girl: In addition to be Humongous Mecha pilots with many years worth of training, Asuka is a berserker super-soldier and Rei a plaguemaster with healing enhanced.
- Action Mom: After the Angel War Asuka became the Goddess of War and later she and Shinji had at least a daughter -Kali-. And she still kept being a warrior goddess and kicking butts.
- Adaptational Badass: In this story the three pilots gain huge powers: Shinji becomes a sorcerer with psychic powers, Asuka a super-soldier and Rei a plaguemaster.
- Adaptational Curves: As she transforms into a Khornate berserker, Asuka's body evolves and she becomes stronger and more muscular. When her transformation finalizes her body is defined like spectacularly muscular and athletic and still womanly and feminine.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Shinji stroked Asuka's hair to reassure her after an argument while they were swimming in the pool.
- After-Action Healing Drama: Rei got hurt during the battle against Ramiel. After destroying the monster, Shinji got Rei out of her giant robot and made sure that she got hospitalized.
- After the End: The final chapters happen during and after the Third Impact: the world gets wrecked, two third of humans die, and the survivors have to rebuild their civilization.
- The Ageless: Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato never age after their ascension to godhood. Their human bodies are permanently fourteen-years old.
- Alien Geometries: The inside of the Black Moon during Third Impact fits this. It was a space of distorted reality where two diferent universes were mingling and two billions of souls were being collected to feed with their energies the gestation of four new gods. In that place things had many layers, and viewing something from different angles could change completely what was seen. Depending on the angle a particular room could look a cathedral-like chamber coated in repugnant organic issue, a void with a misshapen beast floating in the centre, or a huge, pregnant Rei Ayanami going into labour.
- All Your Powers Combined: The MP Evas have abilities from all the Angels. Tzintchi also receives the knowledge of the canon!40k gods.
- Always Save the Girl: His girlfriend Asuka, Rei and Misato were the three persons more precious to Shinji. When Asuka and Misato got killed and Rei showed up to grant him his deepest wish he asked her bringing them back, not matter the cost. The cost was Third Impact.
- Always Second Best: Asuka to Rei. This results in Rei getting depressed because she thought she would always be second to Asuka in Shinji's heart even if she talked them into a threesome. She tried to reassure herself that second place is better than no place at all.
- A Mech by Any Other Name: This story features the Evas of the Evangelion universe and mentions the Titans of the Warhammer 40K universe.
- Amazon Chaser: Shinji was attracted to Asuka because she was beautiful, brilliant, temperamental, overwhelming passionate... and because she was a fierce, furious and skilled warrior. It actually turned him on watching her fighting and hacking enemies away.No really. I was in awe of you when you were fighting with Israfel the other day. Your movements were so fluid, so sure, that I did not feel like I was looking at Unit 02, but you. It was incredible, Shinji explains.
Should I feel complimented? Asuka asks.
Hell yes! Youre that good. When you spun your Eva about to deliver that axe blow to the half behind you, it was like I was seeing you there, hair flashing behind you and skirt twirling about your legs dramatically. I was a little turned on by it, Shinji says, pausing in his work to savour the memory.
Pervert, Asuka mutters sarcastically. There was however a small smile on her face.
Shrugging, Shinji says, Hey, what can I say? I like my women confident, wielding a huge axe, and blood drenched. Ensures theyll be wild in bed.
- Amazonian Beauty: Asuka's alternate form is described as spectacularly well-built, muscular and athletic and still downright feminine and womanly and stunningly beautiful. Shinji finds her even hotter than he did before.Of the many faces she wore in her divinity, one was as she would have been given another ten years time, of a woman in full bloom at the prime of her life, confident and mature, her body spectacularly muscular and athletic while not sacrificing a single drop of femininity.
- And I Must Scream:
He was at the Hall of Torment.
- Gendo and all SEELE's members fates: Their souls were ripped from their bodies and imbedded in the walls of the properly named Hall of Torment, where they'd remain trapped for all eternity.
The senior members of SEELE and his father were imbedded in the walls, ceiling, and floor of this place, screaming in agony, their souls trying to claw their way out of membranes of unreality that would trap them for all eternity.
- Later on, the Chaos Gods would use this same method to punish child abusers and human traffickers.
- And Then What?: At one point Shinji wondered what he would do after getting revenge on his father and SEELE.
- Anger Born of Worry: When Asuka nearly blows herself to take out Sandalphon, Shinji got as mad at Asuka that he slapped her.Rather woozy from the adrenaline rush and the heat flush, Asuka totters out of her entry plug only for Shinji to slap her across the face and demand angrily, What the fuck were you thinking?
I I did what I had to do, just like how you blew yourself up to take out Shamshel, Asuka says in a daze.
Its called the Shinji Suicide Special for a reason, Shinji points out angrily.
Grinning, Asuka replies, Well they can call it the Soryu Suicide Special now.
- Animalistic Abomination: In addition to animal-shaped Angels such like Gaghiel -a cross between a shark and a whale- or Matarael -a humongous spider-, the Beasts of Chaos were the pets of the new Chaos Gods: a hawk, a hound and a crow warped into monstrous, ferocious or putrid creatures.
- Anti-Hero: This version of Shinji is a violent jerkass, manipulates people's feelings and often displays a disturbing lack of empathy. Still he fights Eldritch Abominations and eviler people than him.
- Anti-Villain: Shinji is a manipulative jerkass, makes very questionable things... however his greatest desire is being loved, and he makes bad things to protect or avenge people he cares about.In the end, all I really wanted was someone warm at my side at night. Is that such a terrible thing to wish for? To not be lonely like this, to know that when you go to sleep there will be someone who loves you waiting to smile at you in the morning?
Is that too much to ask?
I would trade it all just to have that again.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: After the events of the fic, Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato became the New Chaos Gods. Their predecessors were humongous masses of sheer human emotion given sentience, but they are humans ascended to Physical Gods and the personifications of Chaos. Each one of them has a myriad of shapes, but usually they use their mortal forms to interact with others. Shinji is the embodiment of Deceit, Change and Hope; Asuka of War, Wrath and Bravery; Rei of Demise, Decay and Joy; and Misato of Lust, Passion and Perfection.
- Anyone Can Die: For the end of the fic, the only Evangelion characters left alive are Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Misato, Toji, Kensuke and Hikari. Everyone else is dead. The body count is even greater than it looks, since Asuka, Misato and Hikari got murdered and were brought back from the dead.
- An Axe to Grind: Asuka is her world's champion of physical combat and masters all kind of weapons, but axes are her Weapon of Choice (she is a Khornate berserker so it goes with the territory). Throughout the history she handles from tiny hatchets to huge bronze battle-axes capable to cleave a man in half in a single blow. Her Unit-02 is equiped with a chain-axe, and eventually replaced by a Bloodthirster axe against the MP Evas.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: When Shinji states that he owes his Psychic Powers to daemon training, Kaworu replies that's ridiculous because there's not such a thing like daemons... apparently forgetting that he's not human.
- Archnemesis Dad: At the beginning, Shinji wanted to pay his father back for abandoning him. However, after being taken in by Misato, Shinji forgets about his revenge. Unfortunately, Gendo targeted Shinji's family and friends to hurt his son and bring him back under control, and Shinji decided that he'd got it with his father.
- Armor-Piercing Response: It happened twice in the same conversation between Shinji and Asuka. When Shinji demanded to know why Asuka was so pained, she confessed that her mother died, which rendered Shinji speechless. Then he replied that he was also an orphan, making Asuka see him in a new light.Momma died! Asuka shrieked, clutching her head in agony and shame.
There is a pause before Shinji says, So? Everyone in our class at school has a dead mother. Including me.
This revelation was like a slap in the face to Asuka, who looked up at Shinji through tear stained eyes, seeing him in a new light.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: When Shinji fought Zeruel, he had this to say: "Motherfucker, you've invaded my city, beaten the fuck out of two of three of the girls I cherish most in this world, and now you're making me play the Big Damn Hero with this last minute entrance. I hate playing the Big Damn Hero."
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: At the climax of the story, Rei set Third Impact off to bring Asuka and Misato back from the dead at the behest of Shinji. She collected two thirds of souls of the whole humankind (rather than all human souls as she did in the original timeline), pumped energies of the Warp -a dimension of pure, raw energy- into Shinji, Asuka, Misato and herself and used the harvested souls to shape their new bodies. The four of them ascended and were reborn as the New Chaos Gods.
- The Atoner: After the debacle caused by her jealousy and resentment, Rei was genuinely sorry and determined to make amends.
- Attention Whore: As soon as he met Asuka, Shinji realized she was an attention-seeker and deduced why. And as far as he was concerned, she had earned her swagger and he would love doing the same thing.
- Aura Vision: Shinji is capable of seeing souls due to his Tzeentchian training. When he met Asuka, he could see -and taste- her soul before seeing her physically: "She was bright and active and so filled with beautiful rage and pain and confidence and so many delicious emotions to experience."
- Awful Truth: The Keeper of Secrets showed Misato that she was attracted to Shinji to torture her.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: In the first chapters Shinji and Asuka argued, bickered and fought the whole time. However Shinji wanted to romance her as soon as he met her, he winced when he realized how sad and hurt she was, and he tried to help her to lessen her pain.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Pen-Pen the penguin is crowned God Emperor of his species by his friends, the new Chaos Gods, as a reward for being their dearest friend.
- Ax-Crazy: Asuka is a rare heroic -or rather anti-heroic- example. After becoming a worshipper of War God Khorne she was gradually turned into a psychopatic, blood-thirsty, axe-wielding berserker. However, although she went on a killing spree, she exclusively targeted thugs, rapists and drug-dealers, and she killed them because she was trying to save her boyfriend.
- Babies Ever After: It is revealed in the side-story that Shinji and Asuka had a daughter, Kali, named after the Hindu Goddess of Death and Destruction. A line seems to imply that Shinji and his three wives -Asuka, Rei and Misato- had several children, but only Kali is known, and that subplot got dropped and forgotten straight after.
- Back from the Dead: Asuka, Misato and Hikari got killed during the Angel War. Shinji and Rei caused an Impact event to bring Asuka and Misato back, and then the three pilots revived Hikari.
- Badass Grandpa: In one of the last chapters Shinji finds an old bulldog and he is wary of it, realizing it was one of the creatures drawn to his girlfriend Asuka and therefore it had to be a fighter and a survivor (since that was the kind of animals that followed Asuka around). And if it was old and scarred, it had to have survived a lot of fights and dangers.Shinji: As the saying went; always be wary of scarred old men, because the only thing you knew of them was that they were survivors.
- Badass Bookworm: Shinji and Asuka take pride in both their fighting skills and their intellect. Even though Shinji is capable of beating almost anyone in physical combat, he considers his brain is his best weapon. And Asuka is thirteen and she already went to college.Shinji: I presume then that you want me to help you with your written Japanese.
Asuka: If you could. I can help you with your homework, I took most of it already when I was in college.
Shinji: (squeaking because she's thirteen) You went to college?
Asuka: Yeah, I graduated last year.
Shinji: Do you want to lose your virginity tonight? Because I am so turned on right now. Brains, beauty, and a degree in what I must presume is ass kicking, what more could a guy want?
- Bad Dreams: Rei suffered from bad, nightmarish, bloody dreams due to her powers and her jealousy driving her mad. She dreamed that she seduced Asuka, she killed Asuka and in reaction Shinji killed her or killed himself and she was left all alone...
- Barbarian Hero: As her transformation in a Khornate berserker advances -eventually leading to her becoming the next Goddess of War-, Asuka resembles this: she becomes an impressively muscled and powerful warrior, armed with primitive-looking, gigantic axes and barely clad in a tarp.
- Battle Aura: When Shinji gets serious -and furious- his body gives off an electrical blue glow, and lightning bolts burst around him.
- Battle Couple: Shinji and Asuka began to strongly bond when Shinji told Asuka that they should fight together to destroy their enemies. From that point they became partners-in-battle and shortly after they got together. The results were bloody for their enemies.Still holding her close, Shinji says, No no. I cannot take that away from you, only you can. I made a mistake earlier today. You and I, we are different. I am cast from the mould of a soldier. For me, fighting is a living, a means to an end. You you are a warrior, for whom fighting is life. You carry conflict with you wherever you go.
He kissed her on the forehead and she did not flinch away from the contact, and then said, We must learn to work together. You must learn to accept my brutal, sneaky, underhanded ways, and I must learn to accept your passionate, headstrong ways. We can complement one another wonderfully and make the battlefield our dance floor. The Evas were made to fight the Angels, so your mother died fighting them. If not for them, you would be home in Germany, going to school like a normal girl and your mother would still be around tuck you in at night. Hate them. Hate them for all they have stolen from you. Let all your sorrow turn to wrath, and if your breast be a cannon, shoot your burning heart at them. We shall make their blood flow, and we shall stack their skulls into a grand throne that shall let all know of your victory over your pain.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind:
- Shinji and Asuka fought Leliel together in the psychic plane.
- Asuka's fight against Arael consisted in Asuka putting her psychic shields and barriers up while Arael blew them apart and trying to endure the mental onslaught until she was capable to blow the monster up in the physical plane.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Keel and the rest of Seele sought reaching Instrumentality to create a new god and become one with it. When Third Impact happened, it turned Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato -the four persons in the whole world who had suffered the most at the Seele's hands- into gods. And they were pissed off. Cue the Seele members receiving horrible, horrible punishments.You and the other members of SEELE wanted to shed your bodies and become one with a new god well, no one ever said that God would be nice or particularly like you and your cronies for your involvement in its birth. I hope you prepared for the eventuality of an eternity being horrifically tortured by your worst nightmares.
- Becoming the Mask: At the beginning Shinji intended to pretend that he cared about Asuka, Rei, Misato, Touji, Kensuke... in order to manipulate them. However, he came to sincerely care for them in no time at all.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Shinji and Asuka's first meeting consisted of arguing, snarking and peeping at each other when they thought that nobody was looking. Shinji loved taunting her as loving inwardly how beautiful, intelligent and passionate she was, and Asuka tried to hit him as developing a crush on him. Their relationship was scarily similar to Kouji and Sayaka's one.Misato:"Alright, fun is fun, but now is the time to put this behind you and shut up. Now, Asuka, stop trying to kill Shinji, and Shinji, stop encouraging her to try."
- Beneath the Mask: When Shinji met Asuka, she seemed to radiate confidence, certainty and arrogance. However, he witnessed one of her breakdowns when they were in her mecha's cockpit, and when he probed her mind, he sensed that she was hiding a lot of pain, sorrow and fragility beneath her feigned arrogance.
- Berserk Button:
- Asuka has several buttons. Calling her useless or a doll is downright suicidal. But if you hurt Shinji or try to seduce him, pray for a quick death.
- Shinji is usually controlled. However, if you make a fool of him, he gets furious. If you hurt his family he gets homicidal.
- The Berserker:
- Shinji tends to become one when he gets pissed off... which is a very usual occurrence in this story.
- On the other hand, Asuka IS one. Shinji and Rei call her a berserker several times even before she becomes a follower of Khorne, god of war and anger. Not only her Eva gets painted like a Khornate berserker but she steadily trasnforms into a Super Soldier capable to summon massive war-axes out of thin air.
- Berserker Tears: During her breakdown, caused by Shinji's loss, Asuka cried after a fight, when she got furious or angsty. And she shed blood tears.
- Beta Couple: Touji and Hikari. Shinji played matchmaker for them, and they used to spend time with the Alpha Couple (Shinji and Asuka). Unfortunately they became embroiled in the conflict between Shinji and Gendo, and the latter used them as cannon fodder to hurt the former. However, Shinji, Asuka and Rei made sure that their friends had a "happily ever after" ending.
- Beyond the Impossible: According to the Magi, the data Ritsuko enters to determine how a massacre of black ops troops occurred is completely impossible. She has to write a patch for the software just to make the computers accept what they view as nonsensical data. (In reality, it just requires technology from 38,000 years in the future).
- Big Brother Mentor: Deconstructed. Shinji is this to Rei. When they met she behaved like an emotionless doll. He helped her to discover emotions and feelings and find a purpose to live, and she became a more self-reliant, more confident, happier person. However he did this for converting her to dark gods of Chaos, and she became creepier than before. Additionally her mind was not ready yet to deal with her new emotions and powers, so that when Shinji and Asuka got together she was so consumed with jealousy -because Shinji was happy with Asuka- and despair -because Shinji's brotherly love was insufficient to her- that she became a Yandere.
- Big Damn Heroes: Shinji performs one to save Asuka and Rei from Zeruel... and he does it grudgingly because he hates the trope (emphasis and Capitalisation Academia Nut's):Shinji:"I hate playing the Big Damn Hero."
- Big Ego, Hidden Depths: Asuka has -apparently- a big ego, but after meeting her Shinji argues she's earned the right to gloat because she was a beautiful, intelligent woman, an excellent warrior and a mecha pilot who had risen from her ashes after going through Hell when she was three.
- Big Red Devil:
- Asuka's alternate shape is a big, muscled, red-skinned devil with huge ram horns.
- Asukhon's Valkyries are female, red-skinned, horned demons with bat wings and hooves.
- Bio-Augmentation: Shinji's teacher Khnemu was a bio-augmented Space Marine of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. He was considerably taller, stronger, sturdier and more long-lived than an average human due to an extra set of organs implanted in his body.
- Black and Grey Morality: Shinji will do nasty things in defence of his friends or as revenge for things done to them, but compared to Gendo or the SEELE men he looks a lot better.
- "Blackmail" Is Such an Ugly Word: When Shinji seizes a firm, an employee accuses him from "looting" them. Shinji takes offense to the term "loot".Shiro: You ruined us just to loot us, didnt you?
Shinji: Loot is such a pejorative term. I prefer the phrase hostile takeover with extreme prejudice.
- Blood Knight: In this story Asuka Langley Sohryu is a berserker of Khorne, God of War, Anger and Blood. She is a consumate warrior, fighting is her life and she can barely control her battle-lust and eventually becomes the Goddess of War.
- Blood Lust: Asuka is a Hot-Blooded Khornate berserker. She craves fighting, spilling the enemy's blood and even drinking it. Shinji finds her arousing. Her bloodlust increased when she ascended to godhood and became Goddess of War, Rage and Blood. Her followers sacrifice their enemies' blood to her.
- Blue and Orange Morality: As noted by Asuka, Shinji's moral code is pretty warped, and mainly focused on him and people he cares about:For a moment Asuka wanted to ask what he would do if she asked him to go further, but she let the question die unasked. Shinji had his own warped sense of principles, of morality. She knew that if she asked him to kill a random stranger on the street, he would smile and ask How? but that even if she were to stab him in the heart from the back, he would never lift a finger against her. As he said, the three people precious to him were his weakness, and he would never hurt them.
- Blue Is Heroic: Anti-Hero example. Shinji got his Unit-01 painted deep-blue and gold.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: The Rubric Marines guarded Shinji while he healed Asuka's mind and during the Geofront Invasion. They were ghosts trapped into Powered Armor bodyguarding someone who was almost a Physical God.
- Body Horror: When Rei transforms into "Reigle", her body looks like a putrid, living corpse and a plague-spewing sin against biology due to Nurgle's "gifts".
- Bonding Over Missing Parents: After challenging Asuka to a duel and winning, Shinji demanded that she told him why she was so hurt and angry. Asuka told him about her mother's death -which reminded Shinji of his own mother's death-, and he told her that he was an orphan, too. Their relationship got better since that point on, and they eventually got together.
- Break the Haughty:
- Shinji did this to Asuka so that she didn't break in an undesirable fashion. He won a duel against her and exposed all her flaws and insecurities to force her to face them and mature.
- Shinji also was broken when his plotting and scheming completely backfired, and his love, family and friends suffered the consequences.
- Breast Expansion: When Rei transformed into Reigle, she used her control upon her body mass to expand her breasts.
- Brick Joke:
- In chapter 7, Shinji and Asuka have the next conversation:Asuka: Wheres Misato-san?
Shinji: She called while you were in the bathroom to say that she would be at work all night, and, to quote I had better not find out about any hanky-panky when I get home.
Asuka: (rolling her eyes) Please.
Shinji: (cheekily) Yeah, I mean, its like she doesnt trust me to be smart enough to properly dispose of the evidence.
- Four chapters later:Misato: Now while Im gone I dont want to find out about any hanky-panky between you two.
Shinji and Asuka (in unison) Well remember to destroy the evidence.
- In chapter 7, Shinji and Asuka have the next conversation:
- Bring My Brown Pants:
- Asuka's brutal fighting style has this reaction from a spectator:She has collapsed to the ground, still clutching the wound on her arm, but now she is tainted with the harsh ammonia smell of urine and the unpleasant stench of tears mixing with mucus as she cries in terror.
- Subverted. In the epilogue, Touji and Kensuke are terrified after finding the Chaos Gods, but some external force prevents them from staining their pants.They were terrified, but they found themselves unable to act on their fear. Something from outside them was overriding their ability to act in even the most instinctive ways, which was a good thing for their pants.
- Asuka's brutal fighting style has this reaction from a spectator:
- Bring My Red Jacket: Asuka always wears red (and she's capable of transforming into a red-skinned devil). Her battles are the bloodiest: either she hacks her adversaries apart, or her adversaries hack her apart.
- Broken Ace: Asuka was the best pilot and physical fighter. She was also heavily traumatized. Shinji helped her with her mental issues, but after his disappearance, she fell apart completely.
- Broken Bird: When Asuka was four her mother went crazy and hang herself (and her daughter was the one found her corpse). Shortly after her father remarried and virtually abandoned her. In response to it she tried to become stronger, tougher and fully self-reliant. Shinji discusses it at one point:Passing the favour forward? Yeah. Ive been helping Rei since I got here, she was far worse than she is now socially, and then you came along. You were the kid, the one in a million, who chose to become strong instead of break in response to such monumental adversity. But I could see it in your eyes, the tone of your voice in sheltered moments that you still carried the wounds, that you were more fragile than you seemed, Shinji explains.
- Broken Hero: Shinji, Asuka and Rei were abused children. When they convert to Chaos, though, they focus on the positive aspects of their dark gods, and although neither of them is nice, Shinji becomes optimistic and hopeful, Rei happy and mirthful, and Asuka courageous and passionate.
- Broken Record: Asuka when describes Shinji her mother's madness:She she she she went went crazy! She didnt didnt die right away. She she she she she she thought a a doll was me! She didnt see me as her daughter! She hung herself and I was the one who found her!
- BrotherSister Incest: Rei was in love with Shinji even though she was his mother's clon. However Shinji regarded her like a sister and was in love with Asuka. Still when Rei revealed her genetic make-up to him and Shinji figured out her feelings he did not seem concerned about her origins. In fact he told: "If you wanted a threesome with us why didn't you ask us?". After the Final Battle, Shinji claimed Rei, Asuka and Misato as his wives.
- Bullying a Dragon: Invoked. The Eldar and Ork gods gave Shinji and his family their power and knowledge under two conditions: they were to free their races and to not bully them. Shinji promised that humans would try to not be assholes to Eldar or Orks, but if either race was stupid enough to pick a fight with humans knowing that they couldn't win, he'd not be responsible for the consequences.
- Canine Companion: Asuka had Spartacus, an old fighting bulldog who followed her around loyally.
- Canis Latinicus: When Shinji wanted to send a "Get out" message to SEELE, he mixed two Latin random words that looked right. Lorenz pointed out that the sentence was nonsense but its meaning clear.Discedo solus, what in Gods name is that supposed to mean? One of the shadowy members of the SEELE council asks.
Nothing. Its Latin, but its nonsense, Lorenz replies flippantly. Whoever did this probably just looked up a couple of words that looked right and mixed them together without thought for grammar. The message is clear though.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Shinji has no interest on alcohol, ergo he never drinks and if he does he gets hammered and passes out right away. Rei realized it when she tried to get him and Asuka drunk and he got knocked out instantly.
- Cannot Spit It Out:
- Rei had feelings for Shinji but she couldn't spit them out because she was frightened of being rejected since she was Shinji's mother's clon, and he was dating someone else, anyway.
- Asuka couldn't initially confess that she liked Shinji because she was frightened of opening herself up and getting hurt.
- Shinji fell for Asuka as soon as he met her, but he didn't confess for a while because he didn't think that she would accept him.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: When they met, Shinji and Asuka fought and argued for weeks. Soon it was evident, though, that they were unable to live without each other.
- The Casanova: Double subversion. In this story Shinji might be The Casanova easily: all his female classmates want him, and he is a Manipulative Bastard and a Jerkass plays with other people's feelings to further his plans or for his own amusement. Nonetheless he openly says he has no interest in a woman he can seduce easily. He only chases Asuka and he seduces her by being straight-forward, sincere, honest and truthful rather manipulative. However, although he did not plan for it, he ended up married to Asuka, Rei and Misato.
- Catharsis Factor: Considering SEELE's actions in the original series, it's very satisfying seeing Shinji's minion mocking Khiel before punishing all SEELE members.
- Cat Fight: Asuka and Rei got in a very violent one in chapter 14 when Rei attempted to seduce Shinji.
- Chainsaw Good: Asuka's Unit-02 gets a massive chainaxe. Asuka's absolutely lethal with it.
- Character Development: The three main characters develop throughout the War: Rei becomes more emotional, Asuka more self-confident and less afraid of other people, and Shinji finally learns to be more sympathetic.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: Shinji keeps several magic jars storing four Rubric Marines, given by his master Khnemu, and he makes repeated use of them, but at the end it is the Warhammer 40,000 gods who emerge from them.
- Chekhov's Gunman: When Shinji and Rei fight Ramiel, several soldiers finish off it. After the battle, Shinji told them that he owed them a favor. Fifteen chapters later they reappear when Shinji needs to get Asuka to safety. He finds one of them, recognizes him, and hands over Asuka to him, entrusting him to get her to her Evangelion.
- Cherry Tapping: The 4th Angel is killed by two soldiers with a TOW missile.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: When Rei describes how she killed Armisael, she grins wickedly.Rei says before letting a feral grin escape from her suppressed face.
- The Chessmaster: Shinji trained for ten years to become one. He always has schemes within schemes.
- Colonel Kilgore: Being a Khornate berserker, Asuka is drawn to conflict like a moth to a flame. She loves fighting, crushing and brutally killing the enemy and spilling their blood. She will jump into a battle, skirmish or mere brawl, roaring "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE" as hacking heads off. Later she became the Goddess of War.
- Combat Pragmatist:
- Shinji never fights fair. If he has an advantage, he'll use it.
- Subverted with Asuka. She is the "honorable warrior" type... but if her enemy cheats, she cheats.
- Companion Cube: Shinji, Asuka and Rei treat their Humongous Mecha like living beings
because thanks to their Psychic Powers they know that their machines are alive. Rei treats her Unit-00 as a poor puppy which needs to be tamed, but Asuka takes insults and diss to her Unit-02 very personally.Plain? Asuka growls, not taking the insult to her machine lying down.
- Convenient Coma:
- After fighting Zeruel, Shinji was in a coma for a whole month. During that time bad stuff happened to his family because he was unable to protect them.
- When he woke up, he found out that Asuka was also in a coma after fighting Arael. Her coma delayed their reunion until the War was over.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Shinji, Asuka and Rei are orphans and mecha pilots. Their friends Touji and Hikari count as well once they also become pilots.
- Converse with the Unconscious: Shinji did this to Asuka to wake her up when she was in a coma.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Misato's cook looks, smells and tastes like some kind of toxic sludge.Sighing, Shinji just shakes his head and tries to find something Misato hadnt smothered in the thick, sludge-like hot sauce she slathered all over her food. It seemed to be a combination of crystalline capsaicin dissolved in sulphuric acid with raw wasabi added in for flavour. Shinji was fairly certain the stuff could overload the taste buds of an Emperors Children space marine.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Shinji, Asuka and Rei were good kids, although they were troubled because of the lack of good parental figures. A servant of Tzeentch ran into Shinji when he was four and mentored him and converted Shinji to Chaos worship. Shinji turned into a manipulative jerkass and several years later he converted Asuka and Rei to Chaos. Although they are more reasonable and not as bad as other minions of the Chaos Gods, they are assholes at worst.
- Crack Fic: This story features Shinji being trained by a sorcerer of the Warhammer 40,000 world. Gradually he, Asuka and Rei gain powers, finally becoming the New Chaos Gods together with Misato. Oh, and Asuka can transform into a super-powerful, axe-wielding, red-skinned, bronze-haired, horned demon. And she and Shinji get together before Shinji gets married to her, Rei and Misato.
- Creepy Child: Shinji, Asuka and Rei can look three traumatized but average fourteen-year-old kids... because they're hiding that they're borderline psychopaths. Rei's apartment is a trash-filled shrine to rot and decay, Shinji manipulates people for shits and giggles, Asuka is a murderous vigilante, and any of them is perfectly willing to kill whoever gets in their way.
- Creepy Crows: A rare case where a creepy crow belongs to one of the heroes. Rei is a follower of Nurgle, God of Death, Demise and Decay. Sick, dying animals and scavengers are drawn to her. The leader of those animals is her pet crow Old Priest, an old carrion-eater crow. At the end of the fic it got transformed into the first Carrion Crow of Reigle, a creature about as putrid and disgusting as it sounded, yet wise and clever.
- Cruel to Be Kind: In the noncanonical side-story Shinji meets his counterpart of the original universe. To force his counterpart to know the price of failure and get his act together, Shinji makes his younger self believing that he is going to behead Asuka. When the younger Shinji screams "NO!" right before the axe-blow intentionally misses, Shinji suggests him earnestly stopping his self-pity party, growing a spine and fighting to defend Asuka and other people he cares about.
- Crossover: Between Neon Genesis Evangelion and Warhammer 40,000.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
4035 Special Forces agents under SEELE versus one threefour Rubric Marines. No contest.
- Dark Secret: Subverted when the Keeper of Secrets reveals that Shinji finds Misato attractive and Shinji thinks that information is neither secret nor important.That is the best you can throw at me? Those are the terrible Secrets you Keep? That Im a horny fourteen year old living with a sexually aggressive and experienced woman and I wouldnt mind getting in her pants? By the Warp, this shocking revelation changes everything. Quick, call up the Gods; we have to get this critical piece of information to them in time!
- The Dark Times: Before the birth of mankind, ancient alien races (the Ancient Ones, the Angels...) and powerful deities fought over the galaxy. The Angels the main characters meet are the last survivors of their wars.
- Deadpan Snarker: Due to his upbringing, Shinji gains a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor:Ah, Misato-san, I was going to say youre late, Shinji said with some annoyance. If she had arrived on time the whole near death thing probably could have been avoided, and people who endangered his life tended to annoy him.
- Death Glare:
- Shinji glared daggers at his father during their reunion.
- Asuka threw several incandescent glares at Shinji during their first meeting.
- Hikari glared at Touji when he was about to insult Asuka. Touji shut up inmediately.
- Later on, an Asuka's death glare convinced Shinji that running away right away was a good idea:Asukas glare went from an intensity of targeting radar on a modern destroyer to capable of getting into a beam duel with Ramiel in about two seconds, and Shinji wisely decided that an exit strategy, namely running for all he was worth, was in order.
- Death of the Old Gods: Several deities from Warhammer 40,000 sacrificed themselves to create the New Chaos Gods so that the C'Tan can be defeated.
- Decapitation Presentation:
- Asuka, of course, does this a lot.
- Invoked by Shinji when he found out about what Gendo and SEELE had done to his mother and his family's ones. He swore that he'd have Gendo's head on a pike.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Shinji challenged Asuka to a duel, won, and suggested that they should work and fight together. From that point on, they started getting along, and eventually they'd get together.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Shinji defrosted unemotional, cold, passive Rei and set to defrost angry, arrogant, hostile, hurt Asuka because he was inmensely drawn to her and he knew she would collapse unless he did something because she was more fragile than she looked. So that he tricked Asuka into telling him her past, bonded with her, confessed his feelings in a honest way and he won her over. However Rei had also fallen in love with him, and all of sudden Shinji was stuck in a love triangle between a berserker tsundere and homicidal yandere. Chaos ensued.
- Defusing the Tyke Bomb:
- Shinji realized early on that Gendo had raised Rei to be his puppet because she played a crucial role in his father's plans, so he worked hard to break her out of that mindset and earn her loyalty. It works.
- Later he did the same thing to Asuka. It also works.
- Deity of Human Origin: Due to the events of the fic, Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato became the New Chaos Gods. All of them have a myriad of shapes -some few of them humanoid and/or comprehensible to human eyes-, psychic powers and are able to manipulate souls and bodies. Shinji is the God of Deceit and is nearly omniscient, Asuka if the Goddess of War is her world's master of physical combat, Rei is the Goddess of Demise and her domain is decay and sickness, and Misato is Goddess of Pleasure and Pain.
- Determinator: One of the key components of Shinji's ideology in this story is keeping hoping and never -ever- giving up. He also instills that way of thinking into Asuka (who refuses to give up and stop fighting, hence she does not try to kill herself during her fall into despair as in canon) and Rei (who endeavours to endure, not matter what).
- During the climax, Misato dies and he loses hope for first time. Then Asuka gets killed and he gets broken. When Rei comes along and tells she can bring them back, Shinji regains hope and he remember that he never, ever, quits. And if he has to storm the Afterlife to rescue Asuka and Misato, he will do so.
- Determined Defeatist: Rei. One of the core concepts of her Nurglette beliefs is: "Death is inevitable, but you must resist it and endure as long as possible anyway".
- Devoted to You: Shinji and Asuka are completely devoted to each other. Shinji swore that she'd never lose him because he'd always go back to her, not matter what. Later on, he spent one month absorbed into his robot and and another month in a coma. During those two months Asuka broke down utterly because she needed him more than anything. When he returned, she was happy because she knew she'd never be alone again.
- Didn't See That Coming: Tzeentch's failure to see the C'tan plans coming was what forced the canon!40k gods to work together."Despite all of our power we got blindsided by something that fell out of the purview of the things we normally kept track of."
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?: SEELE treated the pilots (Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Hikari and Touji) like mere tools with no emotions or feelings. They didn't even bother to hide evidence of their actions. When Shinji found out about them, he decided to show SEELE he definitely had emotions. Berserker wrath being one of them.Malicious aforethought would have been preferable, but this monstrosity was so much worse. It treated them all as things, simple tools without thoughts or emotions. Did they think we would not care for the cruel indignities placed upon us, even the secret, bitterly ironic ones?
- Disappeared Dad: Shinji and Asuka's fathers abandoned them when they were barely four. Shinji holds a huge grudge against his father, and Asuka doesn't acknowledge hers.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Shinji was so distracted by Asuka that he didn't notice his father was scheming against him.The Thirteenth Angel disaster was so bad because Shinji had been distracted by having sex with Asuka with a frequency that would make light blush, and had not noticed his fathers plans for revenge.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: When Asuka started to mutate, her strength increased exponentially... but gradually, so she spent several days breaking things accidentally until she figured out that her physical strength was growing.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Invoked. Leliel slights Asuka, pissing off Shinji in the process. Shinji asks it if he dares to fight him, and then he realizes that taunting an Angel may not be a good idea.Shinji: "The other as you call her is the master of the world of physical combat, something you disdain, but are you powerful enough to take me, a master of the mind?"
Shinji (thinking): "In retrospect perhaps such taunting was a bad idea if Reis commentary on the method of attack used by the Fifteenth Angel is correct."
Shinji:"Hey! I had no idea the situation would evolve like this!"
- Dope Slap: In chapter 13, Asuka whacks Shinji upside the head when he's poking fun at her and being a bigger pervert than usual:Whacking him playfully upside the head, Asuka says, Stupid pervert.
- Dream Sequence: Rei had one in chapter 13 during a synch test where she saw a giant man with star-filled eyes. It completely freaked her out. Unbeknown to her, it foreshadowed Shinji's future transformation.
- Driven to Suicide:
- Played straight with Rei, who blamed herself for Shinji being in a coma and hung herself.
- Subverted with Asuka. When people found out that Asuka was cutting herself, they thought that she was trying to commit suicide; but in reality she was offering her own blood to Khorne.
- Drowning My Sorrows: When Shinji merged with Unit-01, Misato resorted to drink copiously to try to overcome the pain.
- Dual Wielding: Asuka often fights using two weapons simultaneously. She likes to use twin hatches, but in the Final Battle her Humongous Mecha was equipped with a battle-axe and a barbed whip.Reaching a hand out into nothingness, Asuka grabbed onto something with each hand and began to pull out. Twin ragged streaks appeared in the sky, blood raining from holes in reality as Unit 02 extracted its new weapons. In the right hand it held a titanic bronze battle axe dripping with blood on its adamantine blade, while in the left it bore a long, snaking whip covered in barbs.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: By the end of the story: the war is won, SEELE is destroyed and everyone who gave the EVA pilots and their friends hell are punished appropriately (such as A Fate Worse Than Death in Gendo's case). Meanwhile, Shinji, Rei, Asuka, and Misaato become the new Chaos Gods and reward their loved ones for being so dear to them - Hikari and Shinji's mentor Khnemu become a daemon princess and prince respectively, Touji (who was crippled and now healed) and Kensuke become Primarchs to help shepherd the remnants of humanity into a Golden Age (with the promise of joining the ranks of daemon royalty as a reward for their efforts), and Pen-Pen becomes God Emperor. Yup, these kids have definitely earned their happy endings.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Abbadon finally gave up on trying to seize Cadia and blew the planet up.
- Eating the Eye Candy:
- Shinji stares at Asuka constantly. When they met for first time, he spent a good while drinking in her:And then she came into view, tall and proud, long red hair and a yellow sundress billowing in the wind, a blue ribbon tied about her throat while A-10 nerve clips were worn in her hair as both decoration and declaration. She radiated certainty and arrogance even to those not blessed with warp sight, and her eyes burned blue like the heart of a fusion reactor, filled with boundless fury and energy. Shinji wanted to drink her.
So this is what lust feels like. I wondered when those hormones would start doing their job. If the Eldar had women a quarter this good, no wonder they blew up half the galaxy and spawned Slaanesh.
- A short while later, Asuka spied on Shinji while he changed clothes, and despite warning she'd rip his head off if he did so, was annoyed he didn't at least try to do the same.What a boring, unexciting boy! He didn't even try to peek on her beautiful body.
- At the time, she was unaware that Shinji is already a skilled enough psyker to do so through walls.
- Shinji stares at Asuka constantly. When they met for first time, he spent a good while drinking in her:
- Eldritch Abomination:
- The Gods of the WH40K universe: the God Emperor of Humankind, the Eldar and Ork deities, the four Chaos Gods (humongous, inmensely powerful sentient masses of raw emotion: rage, apathy, ambition, lust...), the C'Tan...
- The Angels
- And, finally, Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato after their ascension and transformation into the New Chaos Gods.
- Eldritch Location: The Black Moon. During Third Impact, that was the place where the energies of an alternate dimension poured through a crack in the fabric of reality as several Eldritch Abominations came into being. Concepts such like space, time or laws of physics worked in erratic ways.Deep within the Black Moon, the Egg of Lilith, the Warp bled out into reality, creating the perfect gestation grounds for the beings within. In this seething cauldron of unreality, things had many layers, and viewing things from different angles could have a profound effect on what was seen.
- Emotion Eater:
- Shinji has Psychic Powers and he can feel other people's emotions. When he meets Asuka, he thinks her emotions are delicious and addictive.Oh Asuka, your jealous rage is to my palette like a sweet summers wine in comparison to the various emotionally repressed idiots I have been subjected to.
- The Chaos Gods and their successors are made from human emotions.
- Shinji has Psychic Powers and he can feel other people's emotions. When he meets Asuka, he thinks her emotions are delicious and addictive.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Even though they save mankind from the Angels, at the end Third Impact happens, killing two thirds of human population.
- Enemy Civil War:
- During the invasion of the Geofront, Shinji telepatically goads the invading soldiers to shoot each other."This went beyond a simple cluster fuck, this transcended into the realm where future generations of soldiers would refer to a situation this badly screwed up that they would have to call such scenarios... Tokyo-3..."
- Also, the only reason why the canon!40k gods had to work together was because their inter-factional fighting allowed the C'tan to gain a vital advantage.
- During the invasion of the Geofront, Shinji telepatically goads the invading soldiers to shoot each other.
- Enemy Mine:
- Discussed. Asuka suggests that she and Rei should team up (because Shinji enjoys annoying Asuka and Rei likes annoying Shinji), citing the "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" sentence. Rei gets surprised because Shinji has a different version: "The enemy of my enemy dies next."
- Nothing less than an overwhelmingly bad situation could possibly force the Warhammer 40,000 gods to work together. We're talking a reluctant agnostic/atheist turned God-Emperor of Man, the Four Ruinous Powers (whom are sufficiently powerful that the *only* reason they haven't taken over the world is because they A) *HATE* each other, B) like it just the way it is, and C) already have...), Gork & Mork (the deities of a bunch of genetically engineered fungal bio-weapon), and the Eldar Pantheon (and let's not talk about all the shit they got up to with each other!)
- Entertainingly Wrong: When the plans of SEELE have been destroyed, Keel Lorenz thinks that Ikari is the culprit. Although an Ikari had certainly destroyed their plans, he's thinking of the wrong Ikari. It's Shinji, not Gendo, who has ruined them, but he had no way to know that.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
And they would dare to call me a monster after what they have done?
- After finding one of the victims of SEELE and learn about the fates of their mothers, Shinji thinks And people would call me a monster?
THEY had done this. Done this to me. Done this to Asuka. Done this to Hikari. Done this to Toji. Done this to them all.
Malicious aforethought would have been preferable, but this monstrosity was so much worse. It treated them all as things, simple tools without thoughts or emotions. Did they think we would not care for the cruel indignities placed upon us, even the secret, bitterly ironic ones? Even I understood to hide the evidence more carefully than this for fear of the retaliation of my victims.
- Even Tzeentch, God of Manipulation, Trickery and Backstabbing thinks Gendo is a prick.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: At the end of the fic, Pen-Pen has become The God Emperor Penguin, holy mascot of Chaos Undivided.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Hikari is rewarded by the new Chaos Gods for being a dear friend and becomes a daemon princess.
- Evil Is Visceral: During Third Impact, as dark gods were forming inside the Black Moon, the place looked "a high vaulted, cathedral like chamber coated in a mockery of organic tissue, pulsing and quivering with foul energies."
- Evil Makes You Monstrous:
- After being converted to Chaos, Asuka gradually turns into a red-skinned demon.
- Rei's final form looks like a diseaded, rotten corpse-thing which should have died long ago.
- Exact Words: Shinji challenged Asuka to a duel using wood axes. During the fight he punched her, and she called him a cheater. His answer? He never said that fight would be just with axes.
- Expendable Clone: Subverted with Rei. Both she and her "caretakers" Gendo and Ritsuko treat her spare bodies as extra bodies. However, her soul had trouble travelling between bodies, and it drove her temporarily crazy.
- Fan-Art: Some fans drew pictures of the characters.
- Fan Disservice: When Rei turned into Reigle, she modified her body to give herself curves that most women would kill for and to look like a corpse. So she looked like a beautiful, naked, living cadaver.
- False Reassurance: Shinji is an expert at lying by telling the truth. He and Rei argue the concept several times.
- Faster-Than-Light Travel: The explicit lack thereof due to the C'tan's machinations and the consequences of this is what forced the canon!40k gods to work together.
- Fate Worse than Death:
- The souls of Gendo and the SEELE Committee were carefully extracted from their bodies and imbedded in the walls, ceiling, and floor of the Hall of Torment, where they'd remain trapped for all eternity, being tortured by dark gods.The senior members of SEELE and his father were imbedded in the walls, ceiling, and floor of this place, screaming in agony, their souls trying to claw their way out of membranes of unreality that would trap them for all eternity.
- Shinji is very fond of this kind of punishment. This is what he'll do whoever messes up with his family:"Ah, so its more pillow talk you want now, is it? Well, first I would find those responsible and I would begin by oh, let's say cutting their Achilles tendons so they can't get away. Then would begin the slow, methodical removal of limbs, inch by inch, each new wound being cauterized to avoid death by blood loss. By the end they would be skinless heads attached to torsos, eyes gouged out, noses cut off, tongues yanked free of mouths, lips sewn shut with rusty ten gauge wire, and tubes inserted to keep them alive and in pain."
- The souls of Gendo and the SEELE Committee were carefully extracted from their bodies and imbedded in the walls, ceiling, and floor of the Hall of Torment, where they'd remain trapped for all eternity, being tortured by dark gods.
- Fetal Position Rebirth: In the second-to-last chapter, Shinji, Asuka and Misato assume these positions into embryonic sacs while they are being reborn and transformed into gods.
- Fiery Redhead: Asuka is a berserker of Khorne, God of War. She is a FURNACE of rage, passion, temper, tenderness, aggressiveness and emotion. She is repeatedly described as passionate, fiery, fierce, furious... and later she actually becomes the embodiment of War and Wrath.
- Fingore: Shinji lost a finger when Asuka got a seizure. Trying to prevent her from biting her own tongue off, he introduced his left hand into her mouth, and she accidentally cut his little finger off.
- First Kiss: Shinji and Asuka kissed for first time in Unit 02's entry plug in chapter 4. Unfortunately it went awry, and Shinji could not help to think maybe it would have gone differently if he had been more responsive.
- Fix Fic: The story fixes a few things, only to later come back and break them in new and interesting (and often horrifying) ways.
- Flying Firepower: Being a psyker, Shinji can use his telekinesis to fly and shoot lightning bolts.
- Follow the Leader: This story spawned a bunch of fanfiction in which Shinji was an anti-hero.
- Foreign-Language Tirade: Mentioned when Asuka finds out what Nerv cheated her out of her combat pay.Once the storm of multi-lingual swearing subsided, Asuka turned to Rei and said, First chance we get, were going shopping!
- For Want of a Nail: The premise is shortly after being abandoned by Gendo Shinji met a time-displaced disciple of Tzeentch -Chaos God of Manipulation and Sorcery-, who taught him the ways of plotting and scheming among other skills. As a result Shinji becomes a very different person, and when summoned to Tokyo-3, he has an agenda of his own.
- Freakiness Shame: The first signs of Asuka was transforming into a Khornate berserker, were the white of her eyes becoming red and her crying blood tears. She tried to hide it and thought it meant that she was a freak, but Shinji told her that it was a gift and not something to be ashamed of... and he still found her hot, not matter what.
- Fun with Acronyms: While they're being weapon upgrades, Shinji grows frustrated with the number of nonsensical-sounding acronyms:Well, theres the boom pistol, or rather the APHEGSRB-PV, or Pistol Variant. It was developed along with the carbine version youre using, but as the name suggests it is smaller and has a somewhat shorter range. And then of course there is the RCPTCCW, Misato says.
What is with all the acronyms? Shinji asks in annoyance.
Its a military organization, live with it, Misato says with a shrug.
Punching in a few codes in his entry plug, Shinji examines the meaning of the acronym before saying, Rotary Chain Progressive Tooth Close Combat Weapon you made a giant chainsaw!
- Gambit Roulette: The Warhammer 4000 gods plan was a very complex scheme, involving time-travel, several Batman Gambits and a dozen of different variables. And still it went as planned. Justified because Tzeentch was planning it, and he plans for everything.
- Giant Equals Invincible: Subverted. The army is mostly useless against the Angels, but some troops were capable to assist Shinji by providing cover fire to distract Ramiel.
- Girlish Pigtails: Hikari's pigtails is the first thing Shinji notices about her when he meets her.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot:
- When Rei mentions that Asuka dragged her into the shower stall, pinned her beneath the shower and scrubbed until she was fully lathered, Toji and Shinji got nosebleeds.
- Mentioned when Rei fantasized about her and Asuka making out while Shinji watched "with amusement".
- Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex:
- Shinji and Asuka engaged in celebratory sex after destroying Leliel.
- After winning the war, Shinji, Asuka and Rei had a threesome.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: After discovering what SEELE had done to his and his familys mothers, Shinji was so incredibly furious that his eyes were actually crackling with blue lambent light due to the massive amount of energy that he was channeling.
- God-Emperor: The God-Emperor of Mankind of the Warhammer 40,000 universe makes an appearance in the last and second-to-last chapters. At the end Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato become the New Chaos Gods and Emperors of Mankind.
- God in Human Form: After their ascension to godhood, Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato spend at least several days every year in human form to remember what being mortal is like and keeping themselves grounded. Although they can shed those shells at any time, they can feel pain and exhaustion.
- God Of Human Origin: The story ends with Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato ascending to becoming the new Chaos gods.
- Godzilla Threshold: When the Necrons were taking over the galaxy, the Emperor was desperate enough to agree to a truce with the Ruinous Powers and let Earth fall to Chaos. Usually he'd never, ever, consider such a scenario.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: When people saw Reigle -a ten-kilometer-tall, smiling Eldritch Abomination who looked like a human corpse that had been left in a hot swamp for a month- for first time, they went instantly and permanently insane.Standing up, [She] began to expand at a phenomenal rate, the same grotesque metamorphosis that had occurred before repeating itself on a scale a thousand times grander. Those that saw this happen invariably ran screaming when they did not collapse into quivering, vomiting piles of mental trauma. Those that had the misfortune for Reis ghostly flesh to pass through them were left gibbering wrecks, their sanity violently and permanently ripped from them by the horrific experience.
- Good Morning, Crono: The story's second half begins when Shinji wakes up from a coma and Rei informs him that everything has gone to Hell in his absence.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Subverted. Although Asuka and Shinji are not nice people in this story, they ARE fighting to save humanity, and they have passionate sex.
- Grand Theft Prototype: As in canon, Bardiel hijacked Unit-03. Unlike canon, Hikari was the pilot, and Gendo forced Asuka's Eva to kill her."In transit, another Angel struck, infecting Unit 03. Upon initial activation, it took over and destroyed the testing facility outside Tokyo-3. It disabled the still inactive Unit 04, critically wounding the pilot, before it began to advance on the city."
- Gratuitous German: Asuka falls back on her mother tongue several times when she's annoyed or shocked. Some examples:
- After Shinji has spent a good while teasing her:Ich zerreiße Ihren Gott verdammten Kopf weg! Asuka cried out in German while trying to get at Shinji.
- After Kaji has informed her that Shinji's synchronization ratio with his Humongous Mecha is higher than hers:
- Gott in himmel!
- After Shinji has spent a good while teasing her:
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: When Shinji and Asuka started dating, Rei realized she'd fallen for Shinji and was insanely jealous of Asuka.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Both Asuka and Rei were very, very jealous. Asuka got mad when Rei flirted with Shinji, and Rei was furious with Asuka because she made Shinji happy.
- Grew a Spine: A darker example. After being abandoned by his father, Shinji found a mentor who raised him and forced him to grow a spine. However his teacher was an amoral trickster, and Shinji grew into a trickster, violent, mostly uncaring asshole. He STILL fights to protect humanity and he only targets people who is worse than him or has tried to make him harm, and he still cares for other people (such like Asuka, Rei and Misato. May Heaven help you if you hurt them), but he is a Manipulative Bastard and a Jerkass.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: When she fought the MP-Evas, Asuka flung the body of an enemy she had just killed at another, hitting it squarely.
- Groin Attack: Mentioned when Shinji mutters that he'll kick his god's balls when he sees him:Look, if Tzeentch were to actually appear before me after all this in a form with balls to knee instead of some sort of gibbering, tentacled monstrosity capable of driving lesser beings mad with the merest glimpse, then I think it is fair to say that He is asking for the patella to connect with the groin. It will probably even be part of one of His plans, so I honestly wont feel bad at all, I explain with bitter annoyance at being underestimated, again.
- Hammer Space: Asuka instinctively summoned axes and other bladed weapons out of thin air. She did not knew where she pulled them from or where they went go to. She only knew she was brandishing a weapon whenever she need one and it disappeared after fulfilling its purpose.
- Hand Cannon: The Rubric Marines' bolters are repeatedly noted as being more suited to crew-manning. Eva-scale ones are part of L-Type Equipment.
- Has Two Mommies: After Third Impact, Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato got together. Their children regard the three women as their mothers, independent of who actually bore them.
- Hates Being Alone:
- Shinji's greatest desire was finding someone cared for him. He didn't want to be alone ever again.In the end, all I really wanted was someone warm at my side at night. Is that such a terrible thing to wish for? To not be lonely like this, to know that when you go to sleep there will be someone who loves you waiting to smile at you in the morning?
- Asuka hates loneliness. So what if her relationship with Shinji is warping her and slowly turning her into a monster? It's better than being alone.But damn it, it was better to be loved as monster than alone as a human.
- Shinji's greatest desire was finding someone cared for him. He didn't want to be alone ever again.
- Heartbroken Badass: Asuka's death broke Shinji down completely, to the point that, for first time in his life, he lost hope.
- Held Gaze: After destroying Leliel, Shinji and Asuka make love. When theyre done, they spend a while gazed into each others eyes.All that was left was to gaze into the eyes of the other, and to see your own eyes superimposed from their point of view.
- Hello, Nurse!: Asuka. According Shinji, "If [she] flashed the class, I bet [she] could kill half the male population".
- The Hero: Shinji, although he's an anti-hero.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Asuka has an old bulldog pet following her around. He began to hang out with her because he noticed that she was a fighter just like him.
- Heroes Want Redheads: As soon as he saw Asuka Shinji could not keep his hands off her.
- Heroic BSoD: Shinji goes through two breakdowns in a very short lapse of time: the first happens when Misato dies, but he recovers shortly after, partly due to his desire to pay the Keeper of Secrets back for its deeds. Half hour later, Asuka gets killed, and he falls apart again.Someone hit reboot to clear out the damn blue screen of death.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Misato got killed when she shielded Shinji from the bullets of a firing squad.
- High-Pressure Blood: Unit 02 starts bleeding majorly during the battle against the MP-Evas, just before going Bloodthirster.Something unpleasant was going on beneath the armour of Unit 02, waterfalls of blood leaking forth from its wounds, turning the ground bellow and the nearby lake vermillion.
- High-School Sweethearts: Shinji met Asuka when he was fourteen. Despite of being a trickster and a manipulative bastard he fell for her very, very hard. She also fell in love with him, and for the end of the story they were married.
- Hive Mind: The MP Evas are explicitly said to have this.
- Hoist by His Own Petard:
- In chapter 8, wanting to pay Rei back for ruining his latest "Annoy Asuka" ploy, Shinji nudges Asuka to take Rei to a shopping trip. Asuka bites the bait... but then she announces that he would carry their shopping bags.The look on Shinjis face would warm both Rei and Asuka for a long time as he was most definitely hoisted by his own petard.
- In chapter 14, Shinji realizes his planning and scheming has backfired completely.Everything tied back to Shinjis own scheming. He had been snared in a web of his own making. The phrase hoisted by his own petard didnt even begin to cover this sort of thing.
- After a while Shinji cast his planned revenge aside because he had found a real family. Then Gendo hurt his family to try to keep him under control. Brilliant idea, Gendo. Absolutely brilliant.
- In chapter 8, wanting to pay Rei back for ruining his latest "Annoy Asuka" ploy, Shinji nudges Asuka to take Rei to a shopping trip. Asuka bites the bait... but then she announces that he would carry their shopping bags.
- Hold the Line: Shinji ordered his Rubric Marines to hold the tunnels while he rescued Misato.
- Hope Is Scary: After she and Shinji got together, Asuka was happy because she had found someone who loved her unconditionally, understood her and took her pain away... but she was frightened because she feared losing him.
- Hope Spot: When he arrived on Tokyo-3 Sinji was gradually getting what he always wished: a family (Misato, Rei), a girlfriend (Asuka), and friends. He seemed powerful and cunning enough to take down any enemy, and he and his fellow pilots worked together marvelously. Then Rei started to behave like a jealous Yandere and broke their teamwork, his best friend got crippled and his girlfriend's best friend got killed. He got stuck inside Unit 01 and after getting retrieved he was in a coma for a month. During that time Asuka, Rei and Misato fell utterly apart. Asuka got mind-raped by Arael and was in a coma since then, Rei hang herself and blew herself up to destroy Armisael and Misato got jailed. Needless to say, when Shinji woke up, he was... more than a little angry.
- Hot-Blooded: Shinji fell for Asuka -among other reasons- because she exuded passion. Before ever seeing her he could feel her emotions (her passion, rage, joy, sadness, pain, jealousy, pride...) burning inside her, and compared with everyone else he knew she burnt like a flame and he could not help getting drawn to it.
- Hot God:
- Played straight with Asukhon -whose body is described as spectacular, heavily muscled and incredibly womanly- and with Misato who becomes even more voluptuous.
- Subverted with Reigle, Goddess of Demise. Shinji thinks that she's beautiful. Everyone else thinks she looks like a half-rotten corpse.
- House Husband: When Shinji moves with Misato he takes over the cooking, cleaning... and all remaining household chores but laundry. He's tidier and more organized than his slovenly flatmates -his surrogate mother and his girlfriend- and he likes cleaning because he likes changing and altering his enviroment.Once he had been assigned everything but the laundry, a task that he didnt particularly care for, he feigned displeasure at having so much to do, and grumbling he began to clean up the table. Inwardly he was overjoyed. This apartment would never be clean if Misato had to do the chores, and the act of cleaning was to change ones environment, to act against decay and entropy, things that pleased Tzeentch. It was a small thing, but there were small things and big things in life, and the small ones came around more often.
- Hulking Out: When Asuka gets mad she transforms into a superpowerful, demonic-looking berserker: her body becomes bigger and incredibly athletic and muscular (while not sacrificing a single drop of feminity), her blue eyes become dark-indigo, her hair's colour becomes brass bronze and her skin's blood-red, and huge ram horns sprout from the sides of her head. When she dons that shape she becomes incredibly strong, fast, agile and nearly invulnerable.
- Humanoid Abomination: After their ascension to godhood the New Chaos Gods have a myriad of shapes, most of them incomprehensible to human eyes, but they don their old human selves when they want to interact with their followers, mingle with humans or go unnoticed. People paying attention, though, feel something scary and predatory about them.
- Humongous Mecha: Evas and Titans.
- Hurting Hero: During their bonding talks, Shinji tells Asuka how he fell apart after his father abandoned him in the wake of his mother's death, and even though he's tried to get over it, he's still full of pain... and so Rei and Misato are, and he knows she's also in pain. And even so, they're trying to save mankind.
- Hyperspace Arsenal:
- Asuka did not know how hers worked, but whenever she required a weapon it appeared on her hand, and it disappeared when she no longer needed it. She keeps as many weapons as she wants of all shapes and sizes, although she shows preference for axes.
- Unit 02 pulls weapons out of nothingness during its Bloodthirster transformation.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Both Shinji and Asuka have pale blue eyes and pretty arrogant personalities.
- I Didn't Mean to Turn You On: Asuka unintentionally turns Shinji on when she battles. And when she yells. And when she gets angry. And... all the time, really.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: When Shinji is being more annoying than usual, Asuka tells him stop it if he wants to see her boobies "any time within the next decade".
- I Know You Know I Know: When a SEELEs black ops team is assassinated, Keel argues that Gendo isnt behind that mess because it isnt his style. Another SEELE member points out that maybe he knew that they know this. Keel angrily replied that kind or debate will get them nowhere.It is not his style to leave the execution of something like this to a subordinate like that. He might never get his hands dirty, but he wants to be there to watch.
Unless of course he knew that we knew this sort of thing would be outside his style, the American from before points out.
True, but we could play He knows I know all day and get nowhere.
- I'll Be in My Bunk: When Rei tells how Asuka dragged her into the shower to wash her body personally, Shinji and Touji excused to the bathroom for a few minutes.Asuka had more or less dragged her into the shower before coming shopping, something that had soured her mood somewhat. Especially the enforced use of soap.
Of course, when she had told that last fact to everyone, Shinji and Toji had both excused themselves to the bathroom for a few minutes before returning with small bits of bloody toilet paper stuffed up their nostrils. Rei did not quite understand what that had been about, but the other two females in their group had just rolled their eyes while Kaji just snickered a little.
- I Miss Mom: During their duel, Asuka reveals Shinji that her mother died and she misses her. Shinji replies he's an orphan and he misses his own mother, too.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Asuka isn't quiet at all. When she and Shinji were about to make love for the first time she demanded loudly to be taken.Asuka: HOLY FUCK! Sweet merciful! Dont do dont holy SHIT! Oh wow oh wow oh fuck! Fuck Shinji, you keep this up and sex will be a let down!
Shinji: I doubt that. It will just be one more appendage to work with.
Asuka: Oh God! Oh God, youre a fucking octopus already! Oh sweet Khorne take me now!
- Immune to Bullets: The Rubric Marines, justified due to the severe technological gap.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: The last remaining MP-Eva manages to kill Asuka when it impale Unit-02 with its lance.Reaching out with its remaining arm, Unit 02 tried to drag itself forward still, but the Lance impaling its guts had embedded in the ground. Unit 02 was pinned like a butterfly, and no amount of struggling was going to get it any further.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: When Shinji met Asuka he sensed right away that she exuded pride, confidence, passion and rage but inwardly she was full of sadness, fright and pain. Later he told her that he knew she had tried to become stronger but he could tell she was more vulnerable and fragile than she looked.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Shinji honesty tells Asuka that watching her fighting and hacking enemies away turns him on.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Subverted with Shinji. He has light-blue eyes, and he tries to look innocent and gulible if it benefits him... however, he's anything but that.
- Insecure Love Interest: Touji was frightened of asking Hikari out, even after Shinji showed him that Hikari liked him back.
- In Spite of a Nail: In spite of his completely different upbringing, new powers and improved relationships with the remaining main characters, Shinji was unable to avert most of tragedies: Touji still got crippled when Bardiel hijacked an Eva, he still got stuck inside Unit-01, Asuka still was mind-raped by Arael, Rei still blew up when she fought Armisael and Third Impact still happened.
- Interrupted Intimacy: It happens to Shinji and Asuka several times. They're making out, Misato arrives all of sudden, and they have to stop and pretend that they weren't doing anything.
- It's All My Fault: Rei blamed herself for all what happened after chapter 13 Shinji and Asuka falling into the Sea of Dirac, Asuka getting forced to kill Hikari, Unit 01 absorbing Shinji... It was not a misplaced feeling, since she was so jealous of Asuka and angry at Shinji that she was downright useless in battle, and due to her attachment to the Commander, Shinji and Asuka could not act against Gendo after Hikari's death, forcing Shinji to leave for a while and showed up too late to fight Zeruel.
- It's Personal:
- Before deploying the Evas to destroy Sahaquiel, Misato reveals Shinji and Asuka that she hates the Angels because she blames them for her father's death.
- Asuka wanted to chop Matarael into pieces because it hurt Shinji.Screw thinking like that. This Angel made it personal by hurting Shinji; its the one in for a world of hurt.
- Jerkass Façade: Asuka behaved like a bratty, annoying child so no one realized that she was a sad, weak child. However Shinji saw through her mask right away.
- Jerkass Gods: Invoked and defied by the Emperor, of all people. He convinced the Warhammer 40K gods to send a Keeper of Secrets instead of a Lord of Change to deliberately make Shinji's life more difficult AND was responsible for the production Mass Produced EV As...so that Shinji would learn firsthand how mortals suffer when the gods are douchebags and not treat mortals in a similarly asinine manner after his ascension. Shinji fully admits that it was a crucial lesson for him to learn...after he curses at and punches the Emperor in the face.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Shinji is an utter asshole, but he keeps getting hurt and losing people he cares for.
- Asuka is rude and unpleasant... because she lost her mother, her father didn't care about her, and NERV treated her as a puppet. Then she met Shinji, who actually cared about her and helped her... and then she lost him. Later she got him back... right before being murdered.
- Kid Hero: Shinji and Rei are fourteen. Asuka is only thirteen.
- The Kid with the Remote Control: After the debacle with Units 03 and 04 where one of their friends died and another got crippled Shinji sets to find out because they and their friends are the only ones can pilot Evangelions. When he discovers that their mothers are inside their robots he does not take it well.
- Kiss-Kiss-Slap: Right after killing Gaghiel, Asuka kissed Shinji. Then she slapped him because hed spend hours provoking her intentionally.
- Lack of Empathy: Subverted. Shinji is very empathic... because understanding people is a necessary prerequisite to manipulate them. And being empathic does not mean he is sympathetic. He may understand someone else's troubles without caring for them.
- However later it is proved that he does not understand everybody as well as he would like to believing, and not giving a damn about someone else's troubles came back to bite him in the bum later.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Shinji wonders if he can have this to forget the damned Keeper of Secrets.Yes, thats part of the same damn debriefing I keep hearing. Incidentally, isnt there some way to give me laser guided amnesia instead of just wiping out the past three months when were done here?
- Latex Space Suit: Shinji, Asuka and Rei's skintight pilot suits. Shinji finds them embarassing and cumbersome.
- Leave Me Alone!: As Asuka fights Gaghiel and goes berserker, she mentally screams that she wants everybody to leave her alone.Everything has to die! Die for your sins! Die! Die like momma died! Die and leave me alone! Always alone! Die!
- Leeroy Jenkins: Asuka charged Israfel unthinkingly and hastily, and the Angel beat her and humiliated. After that battle and a little mentoring from Shinji, she became more prudent and cautious before engaging the enemy.Alright! I rushed in last time! I learned my lesson, okay?
- Lemony Narrator: The Keeper of Secrets made sarcastic remarks while Shinji and Asuka watched their memories. Neither of them appreciated the commentary.
- Lethal Chef: In chapter 1, Shinji has to try Misato's cook. He seriously wonders if that... bizarre, highly-spicy glob resting on his plate won't kill him.
- Levitating Lotus Position: Shinji often uses this position when he meditates and no one is looking.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Shinji and Asuka in the first episodes combined constant bickering with a huge helping of snark. At the same time they were very close, and Shinji teased Asuka constantly because he loved getting her angry:Shinji: You know, if you flashed the class, I bet you could kill half the male population.
Asuka: Tojis an idiot and Reis a liar.
Shinji: Tojis been hospitalized and you never denied that quote from Rei.
Asuka: Alright, shes a horrible exaggerator! Happy now?
Shinji: No! This shirt was brand new.
Asuka: Gah! Why must you take her side?
Shinji: Im not. I just enjoy winding you up, or have you not figured that out by now?
- Limited Wardrobe: Averted. Before becoming an Eva pilot, Shinji wore monochromatic white shirts and black pants, mostly. As soon as he had more money, he bought a whole new wardrobe.
- Literal-Minded: Inverted in Chapter 8. Rei is asked by Asuka, "Aren't you hot wearing all that?" To which Rei replied, "Yes. Very. Thank you." It took Asuka couple seconds to figure out what Rei had said, then she became more specific.
- Little "No":
- Shinji utters one when the Keeper of Secrets demand the Eldar soul back.
- Rei speaks another when Gendo ordered her to take him with Yui.
- Living Emotional Crutch:
- When Asuka met Shinji he helped her, showed her love and appreciation and taught her how becoming more powerful. Eventually they got together and she became very dependent on him. Her emotional stability became so reliant on him that when he got absorbed into Unit-01 and fell in a coma she fell completely apart.
- And Shinji became completely dependent on Asuka through the history. Her death at the hands of a MP-Eva broke him down completely. He was so crushed and shell-shocked that he asked Rei starting out Third Impact in order to bring her and Misato back.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Shinji and his comrades -Asuka and Rei- went to great lengths to keep their powers from their commanding officer and guardian Misato. She never figured out anything.
- Lotus Position: Shinji often uses this position when he meditates.
- Love at First Sight: Shinji fell really, really, really HARD for Asuka Langley Sohryu when he met her.
- Love Confession: During pillow talk before the battle against Israfel Shinji asked Asuka if she would resent him for filling her heart's void even though he was a Manipulative Bastard. When she asked him why he would want to her heart he asked if she would believe his answer was honest. Then he confessed he liked her.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: Rei has full control of her body and all her biological processes. She can turn herself into a mass of dripping puss or a diseased, rotten zombie. Her body is also a living factory of diseases.
- Love Epiphany: Shinji loved Asuka as soon as he met her. However Asuka fell in love with him gradually. Several days after confessing he liked her, he told her he admired her strength but he knew that she was more fragile than she looked, and he wanted to help her to become stronger. Then Asuka realized she had fallen for him.
- Love Hurts:
- When Shinji arrived on Tokyo-3 he slowly got granted that he had always wished: a family -Misato and Rei-, a lover -Asuka-, friends... When they got hurt he got hurt. And then he made someone else hurt. Later Misato and Asuka got killed and their deaths broke him down completely.
- Shinji taught Rei a new world of emotions and feelings. However he loved her like a sister. His brotherly love was insufficient to her, and it hurt her seeing him with Asuka and resented Asuka for making him happy. Her inability to deal with her unrequited feelings and her accumulated jealousy and resentment led him to make very stupid things she ended up regretting.
- When they got together Asuka became fully dependent on Shinji. He made him happy took the pain way only for being there. She loved him but she was frightened of losing him and getting hurt again. When he got absorbed into Unit 01 she fell completely apart. She was hurt, lonely, depressed, snappy... and homicidally furious at everyone.
- Love Interest: Shinji is Asuka's... and Rei's... and and Misato's, although she felt ashamed of it and tried to hide her attraction. Asuka is Shinji's.
- Lovely Angels: Thanks to Shinji's mentoring in this crossover Asuka and Rei developed a better teamwork and new abilities (the former became a Super Soldier and the latter a living factory of bio-weapons of mass destruction) turned them into a very dangerous team-up... until Rei tried to seduce Asuka's boyfriend Shinji. After that point they were angry with each other and their teamwork suffered.
- Love Makes You Crazy:
- When Asuka lost Shinji temporarily, she went nuts. She wrote "Please, go back! I need you!" on his bedroom's walls and she went on a vigilante killing spree, murdering thugs and rapists to endure her pain.
- When Shinji lost Asuka and Misato the narration explicitly tells that his sanity shattered.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Shinji and Asuka were so infatuated with each other that Shinji didn't notice his father was scheming against him.Rei: During that time, when everyone was distracted, your father had your apartment laced with monitoring equipment. When you got back, instead of sweeping for bugs like you usually do, you and Asuka had celebratory sex,
Shinji: Fuck. Fuck! Fuck!
Rei: That was your problem,
- Love Makes You Evil:
- Played straight with Gendo, who would do anything to get his wife back.
- Zigzagged with Shinji. On one hand, he became somewhat tolerable when he got a girlfriend, family and friends. On the other hand, he'll kill ruthlessly and bloodily whoever treathens them, and started an Impact event to get Asuka and Misato back.
- Love Revelation Epiphany: Shinji realized Touji and Hikari had a crush on each other but were completely oblivious to each other's feelings. He took great pains to make amazingly dense Touji noticing Hikari's feelings.
- Loyal Animal Companion:
- Despite of Shinji being absent for two months his pet hawk Horus remained on his nest, waiting for him.
- So did Asuka's pet bulldog Spartacus.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: When their relationship got serious, Shinji and Asuka started to have sex everywhere, including the base's lockers. Also, Shinji said he'd take her in the middle of class if she asked him to.
- Mama Bear:
- Misato. Shinji quickly noticed she was a Mama Bear and would always protect her wards, not matter what. Later on, she proves it when several soldiers shoot Shinji and she leaps in the way of the bullets.
- Asuka. During a dream sequence she imagines herself to be a mother... and drive a battle-axe into the head of whoever or whatever threatens her and Shinji's child.
- Manipulative Bastard: Shinji is son of two manipulative bastards ''Gendo and Yui- and follower of Tzeentch -God of Manipulation and Trickery-. He plays with other people's emotions and feelings the whole time because it furthers his plans... or because it amuses him greatly. He manipulates everyone, including people he sincerely cares about such like his family and friends. Asuka and Rei find his manipulative ways annoying but they're used to it.
- Marry Them All: Subverted. For most of the story Shinji clearly considers Asuka his girlfriend, Rei his surrogate sister and Misato her surrogate mother. However, Rei's crush on Shinji (and her willingness to talk Asuka into a threesome) and Misato's proclivity to tease him complicate matters. Shinji did not plan getting married to anyone other than Asuka, but when the four of them ascend to godhood, Shinji takes the three of them as his wives out of a desire to make them happy.
- Masquerade: Second Impact changed humanity, turning all newborn children in psykers. There's an alternate dimension linked to the physical universe called the Warp where the emotions and feelings of all living beings spawn gods and demons. Main character Shinji was trained since he was a children by a Chaos sorcerer. He, Asuka and Rei are Chaos Gods' followers endowed with Lovecraftian Superpowers pretending be normal teenagers and keeping the existence of the Warp, the Chaos Gods... secret. And neither of their enemies figured out their secrets until it was too late for them.
- The Matchmaker: Shinji played matchmaker for Touji and Hikari and managed to hook them up with each other.
- Meaningful Name: The names of Asukhon, the Eightfold Victor, Tzintchi, the Nine-Fingered King and Reigle of the Seven Lives and Mislaato of the Six Wounds reveal who they were and who they are replacing.
- Meaningful Rename: When Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato ascend to godhood, they rename themselves. Their new appellatives are a portmanteau of their olds names and their respective gods' names.
- Meat Moss: One of the rooms of the Black Moon was coated in pulsating, quivering organic tissue.
- Mecha Expansion Pack: After Ramiel melted Unit-01's armor, the Evas got the L-Type Equipment: new, sturdier armor, and new, more dangerous weapons.
- Mecha Show: It features both the Evangelion Humongous Mecha and the Warhammer 40000 sci-fi technology.
- Mêlée à Trois: You have four sides in war against each other: The Angels, alien monsters intending to replace humankind with their own species; Gendo and Nerv, trying to exterminate the Angels (and Gendo willing to kill everyone to see his wife again); Seele, a group of old men plotting to kill everyone to create a new god and become one with it; and Shinji and his fellow pilots, fighting to protect humankind and gunning for revenge against Gendo and Seele. The war concludes with the fourth side winning and utterly annihilating the other sides.
- Discussed by the three Children in chapter 5:Asuka:Well then we should be friends. The enemy of my enemy and all that,
Rei:And all that? [...] You mean dies next?
Asuka:No, the phrase goes the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Rei:I prefer Shinjis version.
Asuka:What have you been teaching her?
Shinji:I think its a more valid interpretation in my opinion.
- Discussed by the three Children in chapter 5:
- The Men in Black: NERV and SEELE's agents wear the proper attire and their tasks include protecting their bosses' secrets, watching over the pilots, spying on the pilots... They find several grisly fates at the hands of the above-mentioned pilots, since the Children don't like people spying on them. Later on, Shinji and his family use men in black as their security detail.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: After Ramiel melted Unit-01's armor, the Evas got the L-Type Equipment: new, sturdier armor, and new, more dangerous weapons. After the first battle against Israfel, Unit-01 got a Wave Motion Gun and Unit-02 a chain-axe.
- Mildly Military: Subverted. NERV was pretty informal and disorganized, but Shinji changed that. Under his gradual influence, NERV became a more formal and serious military organization.
- Mind Hive: After Third Impact, the Well of Souls -an amalgam of the souls of all humans that got harvested during Instrumentality- is inside of the bodies of Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato.
- Mindlink Mates: As they develop Psychic Powers, Shinji and Asuka become this. When they fought Leliel, their minds virtually became one.
- Mind Probe: constantly probes other people's minds to find out things about them, figure out their intentions or extract information. Being a telepath, he doesn't need a machine.
- Mind Rape: Arael to Asuka. Remarkable since Asuka had improved mental defenses against psychic powers, and she'd gotten over most of her past issues, so Arael used other tactic.
- Mind Screwdriver: A large part of the final chapter, following Academia Nut's Take That! to the Gainax Ending:: "For those of you prepared to rant at me, there is one more chapter to this story, so unlike Gainax, you will actually get an explaination (sic) as part of the denouement." It then proceeds to do just that, having the Warhammer 40000 gods explain what looked like a Gainax Ending.
- Missing Mom: The mothers of Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Touji Hikari... and all his classmates are dead. Shinji suspects that it's not a coincidence, and when he finds out that their mothers were taken from them by SEELE, he's both appalled and homicidally furious.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Gendo abandoned his son Shinji when he was four. When summoned to Tokyo-3 by his father ten years later, Shinji has learnt the ways of scheming and plotting, and several useful skills, and he decides paying his father back. In the process Rei -who had been treated as a tool for Gendo- and Asuka -who had lost her mother and been turned into a Child Soldier cause Nerv and whom Gendo forced to attack her best friend- side with him.
- Morality Chain: In this story Shinji is a psychotic, arrogant, manipulative Jerkass with little empathy. Believe it or not, if his girlfriend Asuka, his surrogate -or so he thinks- sister Rei, his surrogate mother Misato, his friends Touji and Kensuke... he would be way, way worse. Before moving in Tokyo-3 he regarded people as tools to be used and discarded or morons. But after finding them Shinji begins to show love, empathy, tenderness, caring, pity... when he is around them, and he even tries to use his well-trained manipulative skills for the good.
- Morton's Fork: Shinji warned Asuka that if she listened to Rei, she was screwed... and if she ignored Rei, she was also screwed anyways.Shinji: Ever since I converted her to Nurgle, Rei has shown great joy in causing things to break down. Ignore her or she will gain immense satisfaction from your annoyance.
Rei: (smiling) Ignore me and it will come back to bite you.
Shinji: Okay, Ill amend that. Listen to her at your own risk, but ignore her at your risk as well.
- Mugging the Monster: People often attacks Shinji, Asuka and Rei, thinking that they're helpless children. Usually, when their assailants discover their intended victims are NOT defenseless, it's too late to run away.
- The Multiverse: In the original series, Third Impact created thousands of alternate universes. The "Thousand Shinji" timeline is part of a multiverse which includes the timelines of Shinji And Warhammer 40 K, Once More with Feeling, Children of an Elder God and Nobody Dies.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Zigzagged. When Shinji and Asuka got together Rei got extremely jealous. At the beginning she told herself that Asuka made Shinji happy and that was all that mattered. However she resented Asuka and often dreamt with killing her... and then she dreamt with Shinji killing her to avenge Asuka or killing himself, so she restrained herself. Paradoxically she also felt attracted to Asuka. She attempted getting a threesome with both, but due to her clumsy methods, Asuka (who had previously considered her a friend) thought she was trying to steal Shinji and killed her... but since Rei had several spare bodies she merely occuppied another. Finally, Shinji ended that conflict by talking them into a threesome.
- My Parents Are Dead: When Shinji asks Asuka why she's always so hurt and angry, she screams that her mother died. Shinji replies that his own mother is dead, too.Shinji: And I have such pain Asuka, such pain, but I will keep it for now. For you though, you owe me a favour for my victory. Tell me of your pain Asuka. Tell me honestly, tell me fully.
Asuka: I I never agreed to this.
Shinji: We rarely agree to the things that hurt us. So either defeat me, prove that you are worthy of keeping your pain secret, or show some honour in defeat and give me that which I ask.
Shinji: TELL ME!
Asuka: Momma died!
Shinji: So? Everyone in our class at school has a dead mother. Including me.
- My Suit Is Also Super: Shinji's special suit is nearly indestructible:Once that was done, Shinji rose from his shrine and began dressing himself for the day ahead. Gone were the cheap clothes he had recovered from the hospital ward, replaced by a very special wardrobe he had had custom tailored for him in secret and then hidden away. Fortunately it seemed that Gendos snoops had not discovered the package.
From the outside it looked almost as if Shinji was wearing a set of black robes, but in truth that was merely an illusion for his clothes did not impede his motions nearly as much as robes might. Their purpose was to conceal what lay beneath, namely the custom designed armour, costing a little over twenty million yen to incorporate the most advanced technology money could buy. Polymers most people had never heard about and involved the best materials technology know to man with such buzzwords as nanotechnology, non-Newtonian fluids, dilatant and pseudoplastics. It was all very bleeding edge stuff, still mostly experimental, but the upside was that Shinji could take anything up to -but not including- a 20mm autocannon shell to the chest and have a greater than 50/50 chance of surviving, while retaining almost all of his mobility.
- Mythology Gag:
- Shinji calls his pet hawk "Horus".
- After her Eva attacks her best friend, Asuka calls herself "Asuka the Betrayer". Kharn the Betrayer was the greatest mortal Champion of Khorne.
- Asuka thinks that eight is a nice number. Eight is Khorne's sacred number.
- Neck Snap: Done by Asuka in chapter 14. Justified, since she had Super Strength in this history.
- Never Be Hurt Again: One of the reasons of Shinji to want to Take Over the World is he does not want anybody hurting him or Asuka ever again.
- Never Gets Drunk: Asuka can drink an unholy amount of alcohol without getting drunk... and if she gets drunk, she recovers veeeeery fast. Shinji lampshaded it in chapter 14 when Rei explained her plan to get Asuka and him drunk in order to get her way with them.
- New Era Speech: Shinji delivers one after his and his family ascension to godhood:Shinji: My friends, today is the dawning of a new age. Today there are no more nations, there is only humanity. Before, we had no gods to unify us, but now we have created the deities so long absent. Now we have become the gods that humanity sought to unify it. And you shall become the leaders.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The Rubric Marines and this is justified the same way as with their immunity to bullets.
- Nightmare Sequence: In chapter 13, Rei has several awful dreams where she kills Asuka and Shinji kills her in retaliation or kills himself and she tries to kill herself to join Shinji and Asuka in the Afterlife.
- Noble Demon: Shinji is a manipulative asshole, but he has standards and limits. Usually he doesn't mind using, manipulating and backstabbing people, but he doesn't seek to destroy someone who hasn't done anything to him, and he refuses to betray his family and friends.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Gendo and SEELE are schemers and manipulative bastards, but they have absolutely no fighting skills whatsoever. They're unable to do anything other than cringing when the main characters act directly against them, and Shinji actually mocks them for being helpless when their plots go awry and their puppets refuse to obey.
- Noodle Implements: Chapter 2 has Shinji feeling pleased at having finally "managed to perfect the plan involving a car battery, a geisha, a metric tonne of boiling ramen, and a rubber chicken" that could kill off his father (although he never actually uses it). He also wonders "But where would I get that much tapioca?"
- No One Gets Left Behind: After becoming the rulers of the world, the New Chaos Gods instill this philosophy in their troops. There are several instances where one of their soldiers refused to leave a comrade behind, declaring that they NEVER abandon anybody.
- No Range Like Point-Blank Range: When Asuka fought Zeruel, shooting at the Angel from a distance was doing nothing, so that she rushed at him, shoved a melta up against its core and fired at point blank range.
- Normal Fish in a Tiny Pond: In a later chapter, Shinji unleashes four Chaos Space Marines against NERV special forces. While normal for Warhammer 40,000, a Space Marine against normal humans is... brutal.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: It is explicitly noted that Asuka should have been dead twice over during the fight against the MP Evas.
- Nosebleed: Shinji and Touji's noses bled several times as Rei explained how Asuka made sure that she took a shower and washed her body properly.And after I held you down and soaped you up this morning too! Asuka cried out before realizing that perhaps that was too much information.
Shinji managed to clamp down on his nose in time but Toji suffered an explosive nosebleed and promptly collapsed.
- No-Sell: During the Siege of NERV, a Rubric Marine took a missile to his face. It didn't even slowed him down.
- No Social Skills: Shinji had no social skills whatsoever before his training. Asuka and Rei kept being horrible at socializing, and their inability to talk with each other was the root of several huge messes.
- No Sympathy: Shinji is very empathic, but he has very little sympathy. He can understand other people's troubles but he does not usually give a damn about them, and he has little sympathy for those that whine about their troubles but make nothing to fix them.
- Not Good with Rejection: Rei's reaction to be rejected by Asuka was getting furious with her and Shinji, mistrusting them and not supporting them against Gendo. Later on, she admitted that her behavior left much to be desired.
- Not What It Looks Like: Inverted in Chapter 8. Shinji and Asuka tip over the chair they're sitting on while making out and end up with Shinji's hands on Asuka's breasts. When Misato walks in on them, Shinji states that the situation is exactly what it looks like. She doesn't believe a word of it.
- Nuke 'em: Nukes are used all over the place to finish an Angel off or destroy the Geofront.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Shinji pretended he was dumber and more ignorant than he was so nobody figured out what he is -a master manipulator with psychic powers- or what he really knows. Later Rei and Asuka make the same thing, advised by him.
- Oedipus Complex:
- Misato had a form of this towards her father due to her abandonment issues. Since she couldn't have him, she lusted after her surrogate son, Shinji.
- In turn, Shinji is attracted to her, although he's more drawn to Asuka.
- Official Couple: Shinji and Asuka. Later Shinji, Asuka, Rei AND Misato.
- Official Kiss: After a conversation where Shinji told he wanted to help her because he realized she was just like him and she was more fragile than she looked, Asuka sat on his lap and kissed him. That was the moment where they got officially together.
- Off with His Head!: Asuka is a Khornate berserker. In battle she hacks her enemies' heads off to offer them up to Khorne, God of War. Sometimes Shinji cut an enemy's head off after defeating it to give it to Asuka as a present.
- Oh My Gods!: Being followers of the Chaos Gods, Shinji, Asuka and Rei swear by them on several occasions. In chapter 14 Shinji moans "Oh, fucking Tzeentch" and in chapter 13 Asuka exclaims "Sweet Khorne!" as she and Shinji are making out.
- Old Flame: Misato and Kaji. They got back together for a while after Shinji got stuck inside Unit-01 and before his death.
- The Old Gods: The Warhammer 40,000 side of this crossover gives us the C'Tan, gods that feed on the lifeforce of stars and are older than the more ancient lifeforms in the Galaxy, and the Chaos Gods, born from the emotions of sentient beings. The story happens because the followers of the C'Tan found a way to wipe out the followers of the Chaos Gods.
- Omniscient Morality License: Why did the God-Emperor have the others send a Keeper of Secrets instead of a Lord of Change back in time? So Shinji would become emotionally mature and not abuse humanity after his ascension to godhood.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: One of the weapons of Asuka is a large bronze battle-axe. It's large enough to easily cleave through a man and leave a gouge mark in the concrete wall behind him. And due to her increased strength and muscle mass, she can handle it with a single hand.
- One-Man Army: As they defeat enemies, Shinji, Asuka and Rei use the energies of the Warp to change themselves and evolve their bodies. At the half-point of the story they are powerful enough (Shinji is a sorcerer with elemental powers, Asuka is a berserker Super Soldier, Rei is able to command plagues, and the three of them have Psychic Powers) to destroy the human race on their own. When Asuka fights the Seele invasion, she easily tears the invading force apart, and the MP-Evas are the only thing in the planet that can stop her. And even then she destroys nine of them.
- One-Winged Angel: When she fought the MP-Evas, Asuka and her Unit-02 went berserker, and she forced her mecha to turn into a Bloodthirster demon:Some outside force seized Unit 02, lifting it high into the air, its limbs held out taut. The air began to swim with unholy sounds, almost as if the wind had a forked tongue and was chanting in some blasphemous language. Something unpleasant was going on beneath the armour of Unit 02, waterfalls of blood leaking forth from its wounds, turning the ground bellow and the nearby lake vermillion.
With a scream brought forth from the very universe itself, the back of Unit 02s armour exploded outward in a shower of broken metal and ceramics and a flood of brilliant crimson blood. A pair of colossal bat wings unfurled, flicking blood off their surface as they extended, before making a powerful downward stroke that launched Unit 02 into flight, seemingly ignoring the winds generated by the storm still raging above.
Reaching a hand out into nothingness, Asuka grabbed onto something with each hand and began to pull out. Twin ragged streaks appeared in the sky, blood raining from holes in reality as Unit 02 extracted its new weapons. In the right hand it held a titanic bronze battle axe dripping with blood on its adamantine blade, while in the left it bore a long, snaking whip covered in barbs.
- One World Order: After the War and Third Impact, the four new Chaos Gods rule the devastated planet.Today there are no more nations, there is only humanity."
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: When Touji and Kensuke see usually stoic and emotionless Rei Ayanami smiling and acting giddy, they get scared and wonder what Shinji has done to her.Toji are my glasses busted or is Rei running towards us? And smiling? Kensuke asks rather worriedly.
She is, Toji answers fearfully.
Im Im scared. Hold me Toji, Kensuke asks.
Only if you hold me back, Toji demands and the two of them grip the other in abject terror.
- Orphan's Ordeal: After their duel Asuka told Shinji that piloting Eva became all what she had left after her mother's death. Later on, after a shopping trip Shinji told Asuka how he was abandoned by his father after his mother's death, and how it broke him down back then.
- Our Demons Are Different:
- The Keeper of Secrets is a daemon of the Warhammer 40000 universe, created by one of the Chaos Gods and unable to survive out of the Warp.
- The New Chaos Gods create new lesser daemons called Black Pharaohs, Valkyries and Reiglings. They're "fragments of their masters wills, creatures sent out to do their bidding, mirrors of their thoughts and emotions." They're not nice but they're not necessarily evil.
- Outside-Context Problem: Shinji, Asuka and Rei have powers gifted by dark gods, can tap the power of an alternate dimension made of sheer energy and thought, and have access to future technology. Gendo and SEELE have no counter to their abilities and they weren't even aware of them until it was too late.
- Parental Abandonment: Shinji and Asuka were abandoned by their fathers when they were kids. Asuka stopped acknowledging she had a father (Even though she secretly wishes that their parents were back to protect her from the monsters and the pain), and Shinji plotted his revenge.
- Parental Neglect: After Shinji merged with his Eva Misato fell apart, resorted to her boyfriend and alcohol to endure the pain, and neglected Asuka. Asuka resented her for it.
- Parental Obliviousness: Shinji and Asuka spent several months making out behind her surrogate mother's back. Misato never found out about their transformations either.
- Parental Substitute: When Misato decided to take Shinji in, he initially resisted. However, he quickly -and reluctantly- bonded with her because she was the only person had treated him like a son after his mother's death. Later he tells Asuka -who had also become Misato's ward- that despite all her human flaws Misato is the mother he missed during his childhood despite all her very human flaws.
- Parents in Distress: When Gendo unfairly placed Misato under arrest, Shinji set to busting her adoptive mother out of jail, killing anyone who stood in his way.
- Peggy Sue: It is not evident until the last chapter, but this IS a time-travel fic, since the canon!40k gods send a time-traveler back to the past to prevent an awful future.
- People Jars: Rei and her clones are seen floating in their tank several times in the first chapters.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Due to the evolution of their powers, Shinji, Asuka and Rei are capable to level whole cities or even exterminate the human race.
- The Pig Pen: After becoming a Nurglette, Rei loathes cleanliness, showers and soap. She delights in being dirty, sweaty and bad-smelling.
- Pinned to the Wall: When Shinji finds out what SEELE has done to his and his family's mothers, he nails a SEELE minion to the wall with whatever he could telekinetically lift and hurl.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: Subverted. At first sight, Asuka looks the pitbull to Shinji's puppy because she is brash, loud and demanding, whereas Shinji is quieter... But in reality Shinji is the pitbull.
- Physical God: Due to the events of the fic, Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato became the New Chaos Gods. They have a myriad of shapes, but usually wear their old human forms -or humanoid shapes- when they interact with mortals (their "public relations" bodies to put it another way). Their powers include inmortality, psychic powers, and limited reality warping. Each one of them is attuned to a concept and has powers associated with it: Shinji, God of Trickery, has limited omniscience, the greatest psychic powers and shoots lightning bolts; Asuka, Goddess of War is super strong, super fast, nearly invulnerable and master of combat -armed or otherwise-; and so on...
- Physical Religion: After Third Impact the new Chaos Gods -Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato- rule and are worshipped by the whole humankind. Not only they are very present -granting boons and gifts to their followers and trying to guide and protect humanity- but also they rebuilt the planet After the End, have introduced and spread new technologies and are preparing the united forces of humankind for a space war.
- Plaguemaster: Rei, being a Nurglette, has mastery over viruses, bacteria and sickness.
- The Plan: The events of the history are part of the plan of Tzeentch to defeat the C'Tan and the Necrontyr, and he hoped accomplishing this by manipulating events so that Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato transformed into the new Chaos Gods. The existence of a "plan" is revealed and mentioned several times in the final chapters until finally Tzeentch shows up, tells that "everything went just as planned", and explains exactly what the plan consisted of and what his goals were.
- Playing with Fire: A blink-and-you-will-miss-it moment hints that Asuka has pyrokinesis. During a scene where she's pissed, a small leaf spontaneously combusted near from her, and Shinji attributed it to Asuka.
- Please Wake Up: After Asuka has been killed by the MP-Evas Shinji is holding her as desperately pleading "Wake up, Asuka, wake up".
- Poor Communication Kills: Rei was unable to open up to Shinji and Asuka about her feelings. So she tried to get them drunk to sleep with them, leading Asuka to think Rei was trying to steal Shinji. Asuka beat the crap out of Rei, Rei got furious with her teammates, and everything went to Hell because they didn't work together.
- Power Echoes: Shinji ends up using this during the invasion of the Geofront when he's angry. Later on, when he, Asuka and Rei ascend to a higher plane of existence, their voices boom.
- Powered Armor: Worn by Khenmu and the Rubric Marines.
- Power Floats: Shinji ends up using this. He used his telekinesis to float when he fought Kaworu, and during the Final Battle he and his Humongous Mecha were floating in the center of a storm of energy summoned by him.
- Power Gives You Wings: When Asuka fights the MP-Evas, she and her giant robot go berserker, and [[spoiler:Unit-02 grows huge, black bat wings.
- Power Glows: In the last chapters, when Shinji uses his power, his body gives off a radiant, electrical blue glow.
- Powers in the First Episode: In the first episode, Shinji gets psychic powers, electrokinesis and a giant robot.
- Power Makes Your Voice Deep: When the main characters ascend to godhood, their voices plummet and boom when they talk to their followers.
- Power Perversion Potential: Shinji does this repeatedly with Asuka. He uses his remote viewing to spy on her as she is undressing, and later he uses his telepathy and telekinesis to give her physical pleasure.Mmmm remote viewing, it's a beautiful thing!
- After their ascension to godhood, Shinji and their three queens can shape-shift. Misato implies that he uses that power during lovemaking when she states that they can teach someone how "to fuck three girls up the ass at the same time and blow their minds".
- Primary-Color Champion: Shinjis Unit-01 is blue and gold. Asukas Unit-02 is red and golden.
- Prophecies Are Always Right: Subverted. The Dead Sea Scrolls's prophecies were an accurate guide... until the moment of Third Impact, when they went completely wrong due to the meddling of the Warhammer 4000 gods.None of them had any idea what Ikari had unleashed, as this was all quite outside of the prophecies they had been using to guide their way through the war with the Angels to the culmination of Third Impact. But now everything had gone inexplicably wrong.
- The Promise: Shinji promises Asuka that she will never lose him because he will always return to her:I Im afraid that if I become attached to you, Ill lose you, Asuka admits, her voice trembling at it.
I would not fear that Asuka, for I promise you I shall always return to you, Shinji reassures her.
You cant promise that. No one can promise that, she says morosely.
Remember that one of the selling points of Chaos is no angst and crap. I can promise you this Asuka that I will return from anything if it is to be back with you. If you should find my body broken and dead, then to whatever hell my soul travels I will find my way back to you, Shinji tells her.
- Psychic Powers: All children born after Second Impact have the potential to develop psychic powers. Shinji is a high-level telepath, telekinetic and fulgurkinetic. Asuka and Rei have psychic powers as well, but their powers are weaker than Shinji's.
- Psycho Electro: Shinji wields lightning powers and is a manipulative, psychotic jerkass.
- Psychotic Love Triangle: The three members of the triangle are psychotic in this story due to their allegiance to the Chaos Gods. Asuka -a Hot-Blooded, berserker Tsundere- and Rei -a Creepy Child Yandere- love Shinji -a Manipulative Bastard and Jerkass-. Shinji is in love with Asuka and regards Rei like a sister. Rei gets frustrated about it and often fantasizes with getting Asuka killed, but she dreads what Shinji would do to her in retaliation. At the same time Asuka is very violently protective from Shinji and would slay with extreme prejudice whoever tried to take him away from her. A battle to death, a murder attempt and much drama and enmity later, the situation was peacefully settled when they agreed to have a three-ways relationship.Shinji:I can see where this is going. Fuck caught in a love triangle between a Khornate berserker and my Nurgle sister.
- Psychotic Smirk: Shinji displays this smirk after telling Misato a not-false-but-not-quite-true-either tale about his canopic jars.When she was safely out of view, Shinji let a snake-like smirk cross his face.
- Quit Your Whining: In chapter 8, Asuka is feeling depressed. Shinji tells her quitting that morose crap before reassuring her and cheering her up.
- Rage Breaking Point: Shinji badly wanted to punish his father for abandoning him, but he decided that Gendo was not worth of his time, so that he repressed his anger and focused on bonding with his new family: Asuka -his girlfriend-, Rei -his sister-, Misato -his surrogate mother-, Toji and Kensuke -his friends-... but then Gendo forced Asuka to cripple his best friend and kill her best friend. Shortly after Asuka's mind got shattered during a battle, Misato got jailed... and he found out that their mothers' souls were locked into the Evas to make them working. So he decided he would repair Asuka's mind, break Misato out -killing whoever got in the way-, obliterate the Geofront and kill and torture his father and the Seele members (in that order).
- Rasputinian Death: Shinji again arrived late to the battle against Zeruel, and the alien monster had hurt and almost killed Asuka and Rei. So that he was not glad with simply killing Zeruel or letting his giant robot taking over and eating it. Not at all:"You telekinetically threw the Angel back to the surface, through the armour, and not the part it had already shot. You elbowed it in the face and collapsed its skull with a single blow. You snapped its back over your knee. You threw it through a building and then crucified its corpse on the wreckage. You strangled it with its own intestines. Then you ripped out its core and punted it into low earth orbit, where it detonated."
- Really 700 Years Old: Shinji's master Khnemu is over 10,000 years old.
- Recruit Teenagers with Attitude: Shinji, Asuka and Rei are teenagers... and pretty psychotic.
- Recursive Fanfiction: Several fanfiction writers have used this story's setting and characters.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: During SEELEs final attack, Shinjis eyes sometimes glowed red when he got really angry.
- Red Is Heroic: Anti-Hero example. When Shinji saw Asuka's Humongous Mecha was red he found it fitting since she is a Khornate berserker. She's a redhead who always wears red. And later when her body is undergoing a transformation caused by her new powers, her skin becomes crimson-red.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni:
- Asuka is the red oni and Rei the blue one. Reinforced because Asuka's powers are fueled by fury and fierceness, and Rei's by joy and despair.
- Shinji is also the blue to Asuka's red. She is a furious, passionate physical fighter. He is a calm, conniving schemer.
- Relationship Upgrade: In chapter 8, after several weeks of arguing and bickering, Shinji and Asuka got together when she sat in his lap and kissed him.
- Retail Therapy: After finding out that NERV cheated her out of her combat pay, Asuka goes shopping together with her fellow pilots and friends to calm herself down.
- Roaring Rampage of Rescue: When Shinji woke up from a coma Rei explained Asuka was in a coma after being Mind Raped and Misato had been locked down in a cell. Shinji decided he would rescue both women and would kill anyone stood in the way.
- Robeast: The Angels.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Pick a tense and stick with it, will you?
- Rummage Sale Reject: Due to being a Nurglette, Rei wears anything until it crumbles down. In chapter 8:Following Rei into the shop, what happened next was a descent into a surreal world of Rei getting excited and happy as she almost maniacally went through dozens of second or even third hand outfits before assembling a wardrobe that could best be described of as fabulously ghetto". It was an embracement of urban decay and poverty by a very wealthy individual.
Rei left the shop wearing a light, frilly Western style bridesmaids dress, a battered looking long jacket that had probably been donated to charity by a dead hobo, a paint-stained grey toque, threadbare red gloves with the fingers cut off, and combat boots two sizes too big for Rei that had probably first seen use shortly after Second Impact. The rest of her purchases were similarly eclectic, and Rei had actually asked to see some of the items that they store had been considering tossing as being too badly damaged to sell.
Everyone but Shinji just looked at Rei in exasperation at her bizarre choices.
- Sanctuary of Solitude: After Shinji merged with Unit-01, Asuka set up a shrine to Khorne inside an abandoned charnel house where she went to pray and worship Khorne every time that she was lonely and upset.
- Sanity Slippage: As the story progresses, the corrupting influence of the Chaos Gods upon Shinji, Asuka and Rei increases, and they become more psychotic and unstable. Shinji and Asuka become increasingly violent, the latter descending into berserker madness during two months Shinji was missing, killing criminals every night to lessen her pain and loss, and Rei turns their apartment into a garbage-filled shrine to decay.
- Sarcastic Confession: Shinji is a master at lying by telling the truth. In a scene Misato walks into Shinji and Asuka sprawled out over the floor after making out. So Shinji tells:This is exactly what it looks. Asuka and I were making out so hot and heavily that we tipped over and broke the chair.
- Later Asuka asks him how he got them out of that mess, and Shinji explains the theory:Asuka:Anyway, how did you do that earlier?
Shinji:In situations where denial or dishonesty is expected, the truth can often be dismissed as fabrication. Control of a situation is not just based off what you do, but what others expect you to do,
Asuka:You lied by telling the truth?
Shinji:Think of it like pretending to make a feint in combat. If your opponent expects you to feint, if you follow through then the expected strike was the lie while the feint was a real attack,
Asuka:Okay, that makes a bit more sense when put into those terms,
- Later Asuka asks him how he got them out of that mess, and Shinji explains the theory:
- Saying Too Much: When Kaworu talked to Shinji for first time, he referred to humans as Lilim, clueing Shinji in on his true nature.
- Scars Are Forever: Lord Tzintchi, the Nine Fingered King, although it may be deliberate.
- Science-Fiction Fanfic: Crossover between two science-fiction franchises.
- Screw You, Elves!: After putting up with the Eldar Gods, the Emperor says what humans think about the Eldar.The Emperor looked at the Laughing God and summed up humanitys view on the Eldar, Fuck the Eldar.
- Secretly Wealthy: Investing his combat pay wisely (precognition certainly helped to make wise investments) Shinji became very rich in a short period of time. And no one knew how much money he had.Shinjis net worth had tripled in the past four days, and he was already covertly moving to expand that wealth further still. Money attracted more money, and within another two to three months his income from his investments would start exceeding his income from his NERV salary, to say nothing of his net worth. Within a year he could easily become one of the richest individuals in Japan.
And no one would know just how much money he had. Off shore accounts were a wonderful thing.
- Seeker White Blood Cells: VERY squicky example: when Iruel makes his appearance and tries to infect Rei, her body is transformed into a bloated, pus-dripping mass of flesh that is a literal FACTORY of all kinds of nasty viruses purpose-made to kill Iruel's nanites.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: When the Necrons had all but conquered the galaxy, the Warhammer 40000 gods decided that the only way to fight them was travelling to the far past and rewriting history.
- Shapeshifting: Asuka can transform into a bronze-haired, red-skinned, horned demon. Later all new Chaos Gods can shape-shifting, although they switch between specific forms.
- Sharing a Body: As a result of [[Third Impact and their ascension to godhood, the bodies of Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato are formed by the Well of Souls, an amalgam of the souls of all humans that got harvested during Instrumentality. It is complicated because their souls are part of the amalgamation -although they are fully in charge of it-, and the mass of souls shapes their individual bodies, but it is STILL a single merged mass of billions of humans manifesting itself as four different bodies.
- Shipper on Deck:
- Misato shipped Shinji and Asuka and tried to help them to get together.
- Shinji also shipped his friend Touji and Hikari.
- Ship Tease: There were some Shinji/Rei and Shinji/Misato hints, but ninety percent of the teasing was Shinji/Asuka as soon as Asuka's first appearance (sooner, actually. Shinji was scanning the ship mentally, and when he found her mind burning with passion he was instantly drawn to it. And when they met he thought "So this is what lust feels like"). Teasing in that chapter included Shinji and Asuka sneaking peeks at each other when they were undressing and Shinji wondering if he could romance that wounded, hot-tempered red-haired berserker.
- Shooting Superman: During the Geofront invasion, a soldier squad shot Shinji. When they saw that he was not damaged and he was actually smirking, they kept shooting.The lead squad that entered the access tunnels into Central Dogma first must have thought it was their lucky day when they saw a young kid in expensive looking purple and blue clothing and a walking stick just stroll right into their crosshairs. They opened fire without giving it a second thought.
The kid just turned and smirked at them as he failed to die. For a few seconds the firing continued until the soldiers noticed that there was a wall forming in front of him of of
- Short-Range Long-Range Weapon: When Asuka fought Zeruel, she shoved a melta up against its core and fired at point blank range.
- Shoulder Cannon: The L-Type equipment includes missile pods designed to strap on to the new shoulder pads.
- Shower of Love: In a scene, Asuka mentions that Shinji and she had sex in the shower several times.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: In a scene Asuka and Shinji kiss. Shinji teases Asuka, and she suggests him shutting up and kissing her again:Asuka:Shut up stupid and kiss me again. You need practice.
- Simple Staff: Shinji's favorite weapon is a long, steel-reinforced staff.
- Sinister Geometry: Ramiel -an octahedron-, Leliel -a striped sphere-... When she fought the latter, Asuka noted that its simple spherical shape gave him a foreboding air.
- Skyward Scream: Subverted. When Shinji heard about what had happened to his mother, he threw back his head, and he screamed. But his shout sounded in the Warp, not in the physical world.Shinji threw his head back and opened his mouth to scream, but no sound came out in the physical world.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: When Asuka nearly kills herself as fighting Sandalphon, Shinji slaps her for risking herself too much. When she laughs it off, he cries and asks her to kiss him. And she does.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: It is hard telling what side of the scale this story falls into. On one hand, at the end of the history two billions of human beings have died and the survivors are ruled by dark gods that are preparing the human race for a war against a race of merciless killer robots determined to kill everything. On other hand, it is a happier end than canon for both the main characters and humankind.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Shinji and Asuka engage in this in the first chapters due to their clashing personalities.Shinji: Hey, why the sour face? Forget to drink your prune juice this morning?
Asuka: No, just wondering how this country ever became important when its filled with morons like you.
Shinji: Oh, you wound me. And I think you got a little collateral damage on you there.
Asuka: Im a quarter Japanese, and I was raised in Germany. I think I took minimal splash.
Shinji: Ah, so the Übermensch German sides overwhelm the barbarian Japanese side?
Asuka: Can you cut it out with the Nazi jokes?
Shinji: But theyre so easy! Come on, throw an Imperial Japan joke. Hell, I havent even tried to throw out any weird German fetish jokes cause I know youll have way too much tentacle demon material to work with.
Asuka: Oh? You know about German porn do you? Pervert.
Shinji: I walked into that one.
Asuka: You set yourself up for that one.
Shinji: I see no contradiction between our statements.
- Sociopathic Hero: Shinji is a real jerkass, but he tries to save humanity.
- Something Else Also Rises: When Shinji, Asuka and Rei are about to have a threesome, Shinji's has "a growing... smile. Among other things."Of course dear, Tzintchi said with a growing smile amongst other things.
- So Proud of You:
- When Gendo realizes how manipulative is Shinji, he actually weeps and says he's truly his son.
- When Asuka feels her mother's presence beside her, Kyoko tells that she's proud of her:Shh Im here with you Ive always been here with you. Im proud of you Asuka. I dont care what youve become; youre still my daughter, my baby to me.
- Soul Jar: Shinji keeps four canopic jars that store the souls of four Rubric Marines and fragments of the spirits of the Warhammer 40000 gods.Atop a small wooden table he laid out a blue cloth embroidered with the Star of Chaos and the Eye of Tzeentch, and then set down the canopic jars that held the dust of his undying guardians.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: When he met Asuka Shinji quickly realized underneath her angry, jealous front there was a huge sadness, fear and she was more fragile than she looked and her soul had many scars.Asuka glared up at him, and slowly the anger seeped out of her body for now. Shinji could still feel it burning beneath the surface, ready to explode once the time was right, like how a burning room without flame could flashover when oxygen was introduced, producing a super hot fireball.
The smoke that covered up this fire however was sadness, the half burned fuel for her frenzy. Peering into her soul, Shinji could feel a near infinite well of sorrow hidden behind enough fortifications and trenches to make a World War One general wince at the thought of assaulting it.
She began to cry, and Shinji let go of her to allow her to regain her composure. She was more fragile than he had first thought. He would either have to repair her damaged heart or break her completely so as to rebuild her. If the situation continued, she could, and probably would, break in an undesirable fashion, most likely becoming useless.
- Space Marine: Being a Warhammer 40,000 crossover it was a safe bet that they would figure in this story. The premise of the story is Shinji was found and trained by a Chaos-worshipper Space Marine when he was a kid. Ten years later Shinji inherits several jars containing the souls of four fully-armed Rubric Marines and he uses them every so often. Finally after Third Impact legions of SpaceMarines are trained in mass to spearhead an interstellar war.
- Stress Vomit: In chapter 14, after waking up from a coma and hearing how everything had gone to Hell due to his scheming, Shinji threw up violently.
- Strolling Through the Chaos: When SEELE nukes the Geofront and sends the army in, everyone is going crazy and running around but Shinji, who walks calmly while everything is going to Hell around him.
- Subspace or Hyperspace: The Warp, a parallel dimension of raw energy and emotion. However, in this timeline it's severely restricted due to the manipulations of the Necrontyr.
- Super Fic: The three main characters gain powers.
- Super Strength: Asuka eventually develops this due to the energies of the Warp mutating her body and transforming her into a Super Soldier.
- Swarm of Rats: A swarm of sick, diseased, ferocious, old rats lives in Rei's apartment. They act as a very effective deterrent to trespassers.
- Take My Hand: Shinji to Asuka twice: when she was sinking into Arael and he caught her, and when he entered her mind to repair it.
- Take Over the World: Shinji often mentions in passing that he plots to conquer the world after the Angel War. His motivation for it varies depending on the time: he is ambitious just like that, he doesn't want anything hurt him and Asuka again, or in revenge for Asuka, Rei and Misato getting hurt. Whatever the case may be, for the end of the story he's become the God-King of humanity and Asuka, Rei and Misato are his three Queens ruling alongside him.
- Take That!:
- "For those of you prepared to rant at me, there is one more chapter to this story, so unlike Gainax, you will actually get an explaination (sic) as part of the denouement."
- When Shinji and Asuka sleep together during their synch training Asuka asks: "You are not going to jerk off over my comatose body now are you?" and Shinji replies: "Please, that would be pathetic."
- Taking the Bullet: During the Geofront Siege, an enemy squad shot at Shinji right when he got distracted and careless, and Misato leapt in the path of the bullets and shielded him with her body.
- The Talk: In the end of chapter 8, Misato decides that her young wards need hearing "The Talk" the next morning.She would have to make sure they had both had The Talk in the morning. They were so cute, if stupid, together.
- Talking in Bed: In chapter 10, Shinji and Asuka argue about their fears while they lie together. Shinji tells her that he'll never allow anybody hurts her family and Asuka reveals that she's frightened of losing him.
- Tears of Blood: As Shinji is in a coma, Asuka sheds tears of blood because he is hurt and she cannot help him.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: The 40K Gods hate each other, but they were forced to team up to defeat the C'Tan.
- Tempting Fate:
- Gendo thinks his son is obviously too broken to make anything but sitting beside her comatose girlfriend's bed and praying, and his beliefs are proof of Shinji's weakness. A short while later his plans had been completely ruined by his son turned into a very pissed-off god.
- When Gendo is leaving Tokyo-3 for a while, Fuyutsuki pointed out that an Agenl attacked the last time he left. Cue Israfel attacking.Me and my big mouth.
- Thanks for the Mammary: In chapter 8, Asuka falls on top of Shinji. He puts his hands up to grab her, but he accidentally gropes her breasts.
- Their First Time: Although they had gotten together and made out many times Shinji had not tried to take his relationship further. When Asuka asked him about it he answered he knew that she was still afraid and vulnerable, and if he tried to sped things up he might hurt her... and he would never forgive himself if it happened. So he would wait until she felt ready. In chapter 13 Asuka finally decided going a little further and she and Shinji bonded.
- They Do: After fighting and arguing for a while, Shinj and Asuka get together. However, Rei and Misato also hooked up with him at the end.
- The Three Faces of Eve:
- Asuka is the wife. She calmed Shinji down and her presence kept him emotionally stable.
- Rei is the child. She can't control her emotions, she's jealous and irrational, and she gets angry and petty when she doesn't get her way.
- Misato is the seductress. She is sultry, sensual and loves teasing.
- Time Travel: In order to save the galaxy from the Necrons, the Warhammer 40,000 gods send a Chaos Space Marine back in time to meet and train Shinji.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: The Warhammer 40000 gods changed the past so they never existed. Even so, Chaos Marine Khenmu and his brothers-in-arms keep existing, and the fragments of the gods still existed and remembered the original timeline.
- Title by Number: Thousand Shinji.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- Shinji hated his father but he decided to forget about his father because he had a family now. And then Gendo hurt his son's family.
- Kaworu introduces Shinji and gives himself away at the same time.
- Took a Level in Badass: Shinji becomes a sorcerer with psychic powers and electrokinesis, Asuka a Super Soldier and Rei a Plaguemaster.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: When Rei becomes a Nurgle follower, she becomes more joyful and more expressive.
- Took a Level in Idealism: Ironically, becoming the disciple of a dark god of manipulation and trickery when he was a child turned Shinji into someone more optimistic than his canon self. He firmly believes in changing himself for better, never giving up and always hoping for a better future.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Shinji... after a fashion. He doesn't stop being a jerk, but after finding a girlfriend, a family and friends, he tones his meanness down.
- Tranquil Fury: Shinji goes into one of these after learning about the true fate of his and his friends' mothers. At the beginning he gets mad... and then he relaxes. He decides that he won't get mad. He'll get even.Now he had transcended anger.
A strange calm and clarity washed over him. He would not get mad.
He would get even.
- Trapped in the Past: Subverted. Khnemu was trapped in the past, but he wasn't aware of it -he thought he was merely trapped in another dimension- and he didn't try to change the timeline since he intended to lie low. However his actions -mentoring Shinji Ikari- changed the past.
- Trash of the Titans:
- Misato's apartment is so messy it convinces Shinji that she's a "damned Slaaneshi daemon princess".
- Played For Drama later. After fighting Zeruel Shinji spent one month stuck inside Unit 01 and another month in a coma. Asuka and Misato had become so emotionally dependent on him that they fell completely apart during that time. They got so depressed they stopped caring for throwing away the garbage, cleaning or doing some chores. When he returned to their apartment, Shinji compared the piles and layers of garbage with geological strata.
- Rei's house was already dirty and littered with trash before being converted to Nurgle worship. Now her house is dirty because she deliberately wishes being surrounded by decay and degeneration. Different kinds of mold grows in the walls, all kind of trash and deceased animals litter the floor, and she will not clean it; she will let it rot and descompose on their own.
- Misato's apartment is so messy it convinces Shinji that she's a "damned Slaaneshi daemon princess".
- Trickster Mentor: Khnemu taught Shinji the ways of scheming and manipulating. In order to train him properly, Khnemu betrayed and backstabbed Shinji constantly, and expected being outwitted and double-crossed in turn. Still Shinji knew his teacher cared for him.
- Tsundere: Asuka behaved like an angry, rude child to hide her frightened, sad true self. However, Shinji reached out to her and suggested her saving her rage for the Angels. From that point on, Asuka started opening up to him, and showing her softer side openly.
- Two out of Three Ain't Bad: When Asuka fights the nine MP-Evas she kills eight. While she dies at the hands of the ninth, sne thinks that eight out of nine isnt so bad.Eight out of nine that's not bad
- Tyke-Bomb: Gendo and NERV needed obedient and clueless puppets to fight the Angel War and serve as cannon fodder, so they raised Rei and Asuka for several years. When Shinji met both girls, Rei behaved like an emotionless robot and Asuka was an angry, sad, broken child on the verge of collapsing.
- Unbroken Vigil:
- Rei didn't leave Shinji's bedside while he was in a coma.
- After waking up from his above-mentioned coma, Shinji kept watch over a comatose, mind-broken Asuka.
- Uncanny Valley: Asuka's demon form is made scarier because her skin and hair's colors don't look natural.My red skin. As in brilliant crimson, the colour of arterial blood flowing from a fresh wound, before clotting has kicked in. It was the sort of colour more associated with paints than with the spectrum of human flesh tones. It was unnatural and terrifying with its ultimate wrongness for it had not the same quality as painted skin either.
The same went for my hair. While copper was an accepted hair colour, mine was bronze. Again, it wasnt so much the colour in of itself that was wrong, it was the fact that it was on a human, because it didnt look like some strange admixture of blonde and red that might arise in nature, but it looked like it was made out of actual strands of metal. It just subtly did not look right.
- Underestimating Badassery:
- Gendo utterly underestimated his son and all remaining pilots, believing neither of them could ruin his plans. He was very, very wrong.
- Kaworu also completely underestimated Shinji, thinking that he would defeat easily.
- Undying Loyalty: When Asuka tells that she is afraid of losing him, Shinji replies she will never lose him. When she muses he can not promise that, Shinji replies he can and he does, and even if he died his soul would find his way back to her from whatever afterlife he found.
- Unfamiliar Ceiling: In chapter 14, when Shinji wakes up after being in a coma for one whole month, he notes that he's seeing an unfamiliar ceiling:His eyes fluttering open to see an unfamiliar ceiling, Shinji feels the rough texture of the hospital sheets first before he notices the sticky coldness of the sensor pads across his body and the uncomfortable pressure of the IV line in the crook of his arm. He also notes the abrasive coarseness of the straps about his wrists, ankles, and across his thighs and chest.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension:
- Between Shinji and Asuka until Shinji confessed and Asuka showed that she loved him back.
- Rei was strongly drawn to Shinji and Asuka, but she didn't know how dealing with her emotions. When she tried to seduce them, it went awry.
- The Un-Smile: When Rei tries to learn to smile, she looks scary.Her bandages now mostly off, Rei approaches the three with a huge grin on her face, but it looked like she didnt know how to smile properly, and instead it came off as some sort of psychotic killer grin.
- Unstoppable Rage: Asuka is a literal berserker. Several characters and entities repeatedly press her Berserk Button until she snaps, and when she does, she doesn't stop until whatever enraged her is destroyed. Most of Angels and the MP-Evas discovered that driving her mad was a spectacularly bad idea.Asuka and Unit 02 continued to rage, a dam within having burst. Everything has to die! Die for your sins! Die! Die like momma died! Die and leave me alone! Always alone! Die!
- Unwitting Pawn
- Subverted. Gendo and SEELE had turned everyone into their unwitting pawns but Shinji and the other Children were using them, too.
- Unbeknown to Gendo and SEELE, they were the puppets of the Warhammer 4000 Gods, who were using them to create new gods.
- Use Your Head: When she fought the MP-Evas, Asuka head butted one of them.A long blade slammed through right shoulder while another one skittered across her torso armour, looking for a gap to plunge in and begin ripping out her Evas guts. Asuka held off its other hands while it snapped at her face, drool flying off its shiny, metallic razor sharp teeth to splatter across Unit 02s helmet.
Asuka head butted it.
- Villain Protagonist: Depending on how you see Shinji.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend:
- Shinji is a violently protective boyfriend. Very violent and very protective. Hurt Asuka -or Rei or Misato for that matter- at any way, shape or form and your agony will be endless. Asuka finds his attitude... arousing.
- In turn, Asuka Langley Sohryu also gets very violent when someone threatens Shinji. How violent? She is a Khornate berserker.
- Volleying Insults: During the first chapters before getting together, Shinji and Asuka often traded insults back and forth. Shinji even kept score of who won each one of their verbal spars.Shinji: Hey, why the sour face? Forget to drink your prune juice this morning?
Asuka: No, just wondering how this country ever became important when its filled with morons like you.
Shinji: Oh, you wound me. And I think you got a little collateral damage on you there.
Asuka: Im a quarter Japanese, and I was raised in Germany. I think I took minimal splash.
Shinji: Ah, so the Übermensch German sides overwhelm the barbarian Japanese side?
Asuka: Can you cut it out with the Nazi jokes?
Shinji: But theyre so easy! Come on, throw an Imperial Japan joke. Hell, I havent even tried to throw out any weird German fetish jokes cause I know youll have way too much tentacle demon material to work with.
Asuka: Oh? You know about German porn do you? Pervert.
Shinji: I walked into that one.
Asuka: You set yourself up for that one.
Shinji: I see no contradiction between our statements.
- Wall Bang Her: In a scene, Asuka mentions offhandedly that Shinji and she tried that position several times.The bed creaked as Shinji lay down next to me, enveloping me in his arms. There were no erotic undertones to this despite all the times we had shared a bed, or the floor, or a bath tub, or a table, or a wall, or
- War God: Asuka becomes a devout worshipper of Khorne, Chaos God of War, Blood and Rage. Its gifts gradually turn her into a berserker Super Soldier and eventually into its successor, "fierce and furious Asukhon, goddess of Anger and War". Khorne itself shows up in the two final chapters.
- Warrior Therapist: Shinji with Asuka. He challenged her to a duel, won, forced her to tell him of her troubles, and helped her to deal with her trauma.
- Was It All a Lie?: Discussed. Shinji thinks of his mentor and of how they knew that even if they backstabbed each other, they would always care for each other. When he is starting to live with Misato he thinks that if he ever found the need to betray Misato (and he could think of some few scenarios where he would consider it) she would have to die instantly, without knowing what had happened (However that was a brief phase. Shortly after Asuka, Rei and Misato became his dearest people whom he would never betray, and if someone hurt them he would make that person dying extremely painfully).
- Wave Motion Gun: The UDPIDTEPW, or Unidirectional Positron Initiated Deuterium-Tritium Enhanced Plasma Weapon is a thermonuclear weapon. Unofficially it's actually called the Wave Motion Gun.Its called the Wave Motion Gun by the build team, isnt it? Shinji suddenly asks.
- Weapon of Choice: Shinji The Leader- handles a staff; Asuka -the blood-thirsty proud warrior- wields an chain-axe; Rei -the mentally unstable anti-hero- uses a giant machete.
- We Used to Be Friends: Misato and Ritsuko were friends... until the former got wind of the secrets of NERV. Misato's last straw was Ritsuko mocking her family's destruction shortly after murdering Kaji. Misato attacked her, and when Ritsuko tried to kill her in retaliation, Misato stabbed her.I I thoughts not mine Ritsuko my friend? I I didnt want to believe fed up with her fed up had to hit that bitch. Had to hit thatbitch! Feel her flesh crumple beneath my fist yeah, just hit her, just make her shut up. Shut up! Shut up!
- Wham Episode: Chapter 14, where several flashbacks reveal Shinji's plans going badly wrong. In few words: Asuka and Rei broke their friendship off after a brutal fight, Touji got crippled, Hikari got killed, Kaji got assassinated, Rei died several times, Asuka was in a coma after being mind-raped and Misato was under arrest after killing Ritsuko. Some reviewers claimed that he was screwed over even worse than in canon.
- What Does She See in Him?: In chapter 5, Asuka ponders that she cannot figure out what Hikari sees in Touji.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: It's never revealed that happened to the remaining Rei clones after the battle against Armisael.
- When She Smiles: When Shinji sees Asuka and Rei smiling after their final transformations, he thinks that both girls look beautiful.
- Whip It Good:
- Asuka's second favorite weapon is a long, barbed whip.In the right hand it held a titanic bronze battle axe dripping with blood on its adamantine blade, while in the left it bore a long, snaking whip covered in barbs.
- Several Angels used whips (Shamsel, Zeruel... Armisael WAS one). Rei states that it was their enemies' most effective weapon.
- Asuka's second favorite weapon is a long, barbed whip.
- Willfully Weak: For the middle point of the story, Shinji is able to blast lightning bolts, Asuka is a Super Soldier capable to punch through a concrete block and summon axes out of thin air, Rei is a living biological and bio-chemical weapon, and THE THREE OF THEM have psychic powers. However they are extra careful to conceal their true powers so that: they can led a relatively normal life; and Gendo never sees it coming when they decide to move against him.
- Will They or Won't They?: Shinji and Asuka spend several weeks arguing and fighting before start getting along. They got together shortly after.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Shinji is more intelligent -and more conniving- than your average teenager. Kaworu says that he was told that Shinji was wise beyond his years.
- World's Strongest Man: Due to her bio-augmentations granted by a War God, Asuka is the strongest human in the world. She can easily crunch bones or rip limbs off with her bare hands.
- Yandere: Deconstructed with -of all people- Rei. After Shinji and Asuka got together she realized her feelings towards Shinji. At the beginning she just tried to be happy for Shinji, but she got increasingly obsessed with Shinji and she yearned for getting Asuka out of the way. It got so bad that she often dreamt with killing Asuka. Still Rei restrained herself, thinking that if she killed Asuka, Shinji would hate her forever and kill her or -worse still- he would kill himself.
- Year Outside, Hour Inside: Within the Black Moon time is warped and it slips away differently between two points. Shinji spent a short while taking part in a meeting, and when he exited that area to meet Asuka and Rei found that at least one week had passed.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: In a chapter Asuka is feeling morose and sullen and says to Shinji that he is stronger than her. Shinji disagrees and replies that he broke after his mother died and his father abandoned him, whereas her reaction was the opposite one: "You were the kid, the one in a million, who chose to become strong instead of break in response to such monumental adversity".Asuka: You you only pretend to be a kid. Youre stronger than me.
Shinji: Alright, no more of this morose bullshit Asuka. Do you want to know why Im always so damned strong? Because when I was four, my mother died and my father just fucking abandoned me. The day after the worst day of my life, he just said, Fuck you son, your mothers dead now so Im not going to bother acting like a man, Im just going to send you on your merry way. After that, I had a choice: break or become stronger than the fuck head that did that to me.
Asuka says: So you got stronger.
Shinji: No, I broke! I was four! The age of four isnt categorized by robust emotional strength, its categorized by insecurities and crying. You were the one who decided to get strong, not me.
- You Are Not Alone: As Shinji is healing Asuka's mind, he feels how lonely she felt when he was trapped in his Eva, and he tells her that he was always with her, even if she couldn't see him.I was always with you in spirit.
- You Are Worth Hell: During a conversation in chapter 10, Asuka tells Shinji that she is is afraid of becoming attached to him and losing him. He promises her that she'll never lose him and he'll always return to her, even if he has to find his way back from Hell. When she asks him "What if you end up in Heaven?" he replies:Shinji: "No matter the surface trappings, any heaven would be a hell without you."
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form:
- The Chaos Gods have horrible forms that are beyond human understanding.
- Their sucessors -Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato- wear thousand forms each, and only a few of them are understandable to human beings. Usually they wear human shapes when they interact with people (their public relationships faces, so to speak).
- You Just Told Me: When Kaworu shows up, he gives away his true nature to Shinji by referring to humanity as "Lilim".
- You Need to Get Laid: A meta example. An artist drew pictures of the main characters after their ascension to godhood. Several fans -including the fic's writer- noted that they looked noticeable stable and sane, and mostly human instead of eldritch (although it was justifiable since they wore humanoid forms at specific times), and the artist replied:"Also, they're pleased in this picture because they've just gotten laid AND been to an awesome concert."
"How bad?" Asuka asks.
"Ah, so its more pillow talk you want now, is it? Well, first I would find those responsible and I would begin by oh, let's say cutting their Achilles tendons so they can't get away. Then would begin the slow, methodical removal of limbs, inch by inch, each new wound being cauterized to avoid death by blood loss. By the end they would be skinless heads attached to torsos, eyes gouged out, noses cut off, tongues yanked free of mouths, lips sewn shut with rusty ten gauge wire, and tubes inserted to keep them alive and in pain. I would then probably conquer the world, or at least a large chunk of it, so as to build a suitably grand tribute to the loss, probably a pyramid to embarrass the ones in Egypt, only made out of the bodies of my enemies coated in resin to prevent decay and give better structural stability. This of course would be occurring while I try everything to undo the damage," Shinji describes vividly.
Shivering in a mix of fear and pleasure, Asuka says, "Sweet talker."