Liz: Standing up? How would that even work?
Jack: You're joking, right?
Liz: [sheepishly] Yeah...
In short, when two people are having sex against a wall or other vertical surface, often spontaneously. One of the most common sex positions in films and television shows, as it can be worked into almost any setting (since almost any setting will have a wall, a tree, etc.) and avoids the need for nudity, thereby allowing the scene to pass with a lower content-censorship rating. Its spontaneous nature also drives home how passionate the affair is, since it's a popular position when one or both partners are cheating. In Real Life this can be done, but is not as easy as it looks: holding someone up against a wall can get tiresome fast, and the person doing the wall-banging runs the risk of dropping their poor partner.
Not to be confused with someone banging their head against a wall, or a Harvey Wallbanger (well, unless one of the participants happens to be named Harvey), or Right Through the Wall (though overlap with the latter is obviously possible), or firing squads. Often includes Right Through His Pants.
The title is derived from Wall Banger, a page that has since joined the Permanent Red Link Club.
- Futari Ecchi: The titular couple get to try this position in their bedroom adventures.
- Sensual Phrase has one. It comes from the epilogue, as the married Aine and Sakuya have impromptu sex while their kid, Shion, is napping in the nearby room.
- Haou Airen also has Hakuron and Kurumi doing this...but it's up against a door, and Fuoron's on the other side.
- Kurono and Sei do this at the end of episode 15 and beginning of episode 16 of Gantz.
- Berserk: While not against a wall, Guts and Casca have sex against a tree for the better half of it.
- In One Piece, a naked Nami gets pinned against the wall of the bath she's in by Absalom, who has the clear intention of raping her. It doesn't go much further, however.
- Uchi no Musume ni Te o Dasu na!: It's how Clara ends up taking Mei's virginity. Unbeknownst to them, Clara was possessed by a phallic alien parasite that caused her to seek out fertile women. The sight of Mei's hips and hindquarters caused the parasite to respond to Clara's own pent-up sexual urges by doing Mei against the wall, until Mei finally passed out from the combination of extreme pleasure and exhaustion.
- Between Yorick and Beth toward the end in Y: The Last Man.
- Between Quartermain and Nina in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, albeit against a tree.
- In Preacher when Jesse and Tulip reunite and reconcile after escaping his psychotic family (and explaining why he left her in the process). The motel manager has to ask them to calm it down; Jesse just hands him some cash and tells him not to bother them again.
- Le Scorpion: Armando takes Ansea like this when she offers herself to him in In the Name of The Son.
- There exists at least one Fullmetal Alchemist Yaoi doujinshi that feature Ed and Roy doing this, justified by the fact that Ed is depicted as much smaller than Roy in this particular artist's work, meaning he would be pretty easy to lift (it also uses Right Through His Pants with Roy). It's by the artist Daen. This is quite common in Daen's works.
- This sex position is actually pretty popular in all kinds of hentai manga and doujins.
- Sokka and Azula's sex scene in How I Became Yours. Well, more like "rock bang her" since they're outdoors, but the rock acts as a wall.
- In a The Transformers fanfic titled Sent of Lust, Scourge does this to Arcee.
- In another The Transformers fanfic titled A Warm Welcome, Megatron does this to the OC (Original Character) Decepticon Femme.
- In the Katawa Shoujo fic Weekend at Hisao's, Hisao does this with his girlfriend Shizune.
- In the Slash Fic A Charmed Life Ryuk does this with Light.
- Evangelion 303: In chapter 17, Shinji and Asuka try this position, but Asuka gets pinned against their hotel room's large windowpane.
- In A Crown of Stars, Shinji and Asuka took a shower together a short while after their Love Confession. They didn't plan on having sex, but one thing led to another, and eventually Shinji was pinning Asuka against the bath wall while they humped each other.
- Thousand Shinji: In a scene, Asuka mentions offhandedly that Shinji and she tried that position several times.
The bed creaked as Shinji lay down next to me, enveloping me in his arms. There were no erotic undertones to this despite all the times we had shared a bed, or the floor, or a bath tub, or a table, or a wall, or
- Ringo and the Svenjaya woman Ranala have a quickie against the wall in the Svenjaya tunnels in The Keys Stand Alone: The Soft World. George, who's there, finds it funny, and Ranala has an Immodest Orgasm.
- American Gangster: Richie gets interrupted in one of these by a call from the morgue.
- In The Godfather, Sonny Corleone is in the middle of one of these during his sister's wedding, of all times. With his sister's best friend and bridesmaid. While his wife is with his mother outside. (And probably fathering Vincent Mancini, Andy Garcia's character in Part III, in the process.)
- At the beginning of The Shawshank Redemption.
- Used in Thank You for Smoking. In three different rooms during the same visit.
- Occurs in a shower sex scene in The Kentucky Fried Movie. The woman (Uschi Digard) is pressed up against the glass wall of the shower, so her breasts are comically squashed.
- In Step Brothers, the trope is gender-inverted since it's Alice who shoves Dale up against the wall the first time. In the Unrated Edition, the trope is Played With during Christmas dinner when the wall turns out to be the door to the dining room and two accidentally burst through it, and try to pass it off as a massage. Played with again when they burst through the door a second time, albeit with Alice now facing Dale, and no one seems to notice. Even her husband, on whom she's cheating because he's abusive towards and neglectful of her, is seated at the table and seems to be none the wiser.
- In Elizabeth a lady-in-waiting gets this treatment while wearing a Pimped-Out Dress she "borrowed" from the queen. That happens to be poisoned. Hope the sex was good.
- We Don't Live Here Anymore features not one, but two scenes of Mark Ruffalo banging Naomi Watts upright against a wall — or in the case of the first scene, an oak tree. Ow.
- In the 1989 film Blood and Sand, Juan (Chris Rydell) has sex with Dona Sol (Sharon Stone) against a tree.
- Lord of War: Yuri Orlov, with his wife against the shower door. Actually, all sex scenes in this movie fit this trope.
- Jerry Maguire has Dorothy Ray, while swooning over Jerry, imagining romantic bliss while proclaiming "whoever snagged him must be one classy babe." The movie cuts to Jerry nailing his screaming fiancee to the wall, visual shorthand for her not being "classy."
- While it happens in Road House, the relative positioning of Patrick Swayze and Kelly Lynch's bodies means that either nothing is really going on at all, or else Swayze is a very, very lucky man if you know what I mean...
- In one of the funniest scenes in Baby Boy, Jody is unable to sleep because his mom and her new boyfriend are having sex, rather loudly, in the other room. We see it, too - and it starts with a Wall Bang, but evolves into what can only be described as "the African Squat Fuck", across the room.
- Subverted in Basic Instinct, when Michael Douglas initially pushes Jeanne Tripplehorn against the wall. After some intense groping, he suddenly pulls her over to the couch, drapes her over it, and takes her from behind.
- Happens in The Joy Luck Club with the mom who later drowned her baby.
- It also happens in Out of Time when the two leads, the police chief and the wife of an abusive ex-footballer, are having sex against the bathroom door, goes through said door and then against the wall. When it's over, you see he's still wearing pants.
- Happens between Carrie and Brian while in bed with Early listening in on the other side in Kalifornia.
- In Quadrophenia, Jimmy and Steph are doing this in an alley while the big fight between the Mods and Rockers is going on.
- Gangs of New York: Amsterdam and Jenny end up doing this after a round of Slap Slap Kissing.
- Happens in The Last King of Scotland in a bit of a....well, lengthy scene. You thought you weren't gonna see James McAvoy's butt? You thought wrong, mister.
- The (more or less) clothed version happens in a deleted scene from Repo! The Genetic Opera, between Amber Sweet and Graverobber.
- Happens between two men (one of whom is Bradley Cooper) in Wet Hot American Summer.
- Sharon Stone and William Baldwin get a scene like this in Sliver, although it's more up against a column rather than a wall.
- There is an extremely unpleasant looking scene involving a couple screwing against a tree in The Nail Gun Massacre.
- Done spectacularly in the Dark Shadows movie where Barnabas and Angelique do it against the wall... the floor... the ceiling...
- In Shame the protagonist has sex with a girl against a wall in an alley at night.
- Happens between Illeana (Angelina Jolie) and James (Ethan Hawke) in Taking Lives, though they eventually move onto the bed.
- There is a brief scene in the beginning of the film Jarhead where the protagonist wallbangs his girlfriend.
- Robin Shea (Rebecca De Mornay) in And God Created Woman gets it in a gymnasium by the contractor protagonist Billy Moran.
- Shoot 'em Up features this at the end of the film's sole sex scene, with Smith servicing DQ against the wall while simultaneously gunning down the men sent to kill them.
- Yet another Sharon Stone example in The Quick and the Dead, used to symbolise the frantic nature of their sex as it's a Pre-Climax Climax. The position has an additional advantage of showing off her hot leather pants when Russell Crowe grabs her ass.
- Sharon Stone (there seems to be a pattern, here) up against a door in Year of the Gun, followed by her getting eaten out on the couch, and then taken doggie style on the bed.
- Spectre. Bond pushes Lucia Sciarra up against a full length mirror for a makeout session.
- A gag scene from The X-Files: Fight the Future has the two main actors hamming up their Almost Kiss with a passionate make-out in which Scully slams Mulder up against the wall...before they slump to the ground.
- Happens between Cecelia (Keira Knightly) and Robbie (James McAvoy) in the film adaptation of Atonement when she is wearing the iconic green dress in the library. They are walked in on by child Briony, causing the major point of misunderstanding that leads to all other events unfolding.
- Deadpool (2016): Wade and Vanessa's relationship starts out this way. Well, technically it starts with the skee-ball game he buys 48 minutes for, but this trope is where they actually start being a couple. Vanessa actually alludes to the strength/stamina requirement by asking how long he can keep it up, only for Wade to proclaim "All year."
I love, I love, I love my calendar girl...
- Stealing Heaven: This is how Abelard and Héloïse have sex at one point.
- The expression also crops up a lot (though it's more often discussed than seen) in the Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall septology.
- According to Frank McCourt's memoir, Angela's Ashes, this was how he was conceived, and he refers to it as a "knee trembler".
- This is the content of the one and only sex scene in Atonement, as detailed lengthily and lovingly. At least the author mentions how awkward the position would be if the participants weren't the same height. The loving detail is actually due to the literate male attempting to keep his stamina up. He notices stuff like their heights and how the light falls and how uncomfortable the position might be for her (in the corner of a library on a desk) in order to keep his mind off of the sex and thus last longer.
- The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. Captain Belov solves the practical issues by constructing a shelf at groin height for his wife to sit on.
- Discworld: Alluded to in Night Watch; one of the Seamstresses asks Vimes if he wants a tuppenny upright. Vimes has to tell his younger self "it's a kind of donut," but even young Vimes suggests that he doesn't think that's what it really is, and "I think it's something rude."
- Older Than Feudalism nonfiction example: According to the Kama Sutra, "When a man and a woman support themselves on each other's bodies, or on a wall, or pillar, and thus while standing engage in congress, it is called the 'supported congress'."
- The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Elizabeth George has Julius Caesar making love to Cleopatra VII like this and promising that he won't let her touch the ground until it's over. Interestingly for this trope, the sex in that book is never really that graphic, including in this scene.
- In the Rizzoli & Isles books, a minor character exchanges sex in this way for a place to stay/eat/money. She's mildly disgusted, especially considering the open windows. She idly wonders if the man is showing off, which increases her disgust.
- 30 Rock:
Jack: Bianca wanted it 6, 7 times a day. Always standing up.
Liz: Standing up? How would that even work?
Jack: You're joking, right?
Liz: [sheepishly] Yeah...
- In American Horror Story: Coven, Zoe walks in on Madison having Sex for Solace with Zoe's resurrected love interest Kyle this way.
- Bones: David Boreanaz did commentary on an episode: "We look so hot here - we could take our clothes off and do it against the wall." He talks about a bloody crime scene with guts up the walls and man-eating stray dogs everywhere.
- Occurs in the 6th season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer between Buffy and Spike. In the alley, next to a dumpster, behind the Doublemeat Palace during Buffy's break. Classy.
- And in their first sex scene; not that the walls are there for long.
- Carnival Row: Agreus has sex with Imogen up against the wall the first time.
- Copper: Kevin and Elizabeth when their UST finally explodes in "Arsenic and Old Cake".
- Cracker. Fitz realizes the killers of a loan shark have done this when he finds long hair on the wall near the body. He then has a couple of amused detectives recreate the event.
- This Dead Like Me clip with Jewel Staite's character in a record store.
- Doctor Who: Offscreen, Amy and Rory may have done this (with the ladder of a bunk-bed) when their daughter Melody/River was conceived, if a couple of joking but matching tweets from writers Steven Moffat and Neil Gaiman should be treated as Word of God.
- Firefly: A scene from "Out of Gas" with Kaylee that ignores the bit about keeping the clothes on. Made even more impressive by her visually diagnosing a critical engine failure in the midst of said bang. See it here, if you're in the United States. Coincidentally, Kaylee is also played by Jewel Staite.
- Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond. Ian Fleming is shown passionately Wall Banging his Girl of the Week, while his future Love Interest is being kissed and undressed by her husband and looking rather bored by the whole business. When these two meet up towards the end of the episode, it becomes a literal wall bang as a German bomb drops on them as they're making out against a hotel corridor wall. In the next episode a German officer is having sex with a woman with her propped on the sink in a public lavatory. She looks rather uncomfortable with this position, but not as uncomfortable as the German is when someone sneaks up behind him and throws a garotte around his neck.
- Monica and Chandler of Friends have sex up against their gigantic picture window, with Monica's brother Ross having just moved in right across the street.
- In How I Met Your Mother, Ted proposes this to Stella. "It will be like a three-way: you, me and the door." To this, Stella replies "Yeah, but then it's going to be weird between me and the door tomorrow."
- Kingdom: Happens up against the wall of a cricket club while Simon is waiting to bat:
Simon: I'm in! I'm in!
Woman: I noticed!
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Victim of the Week in "Delicate" has sex with her ballet teacher this way shortly before her murder.
- The L Word, Season One, Limb from Limb, Gene and Jenny-though strictly speaking, it's more like Aquarium Window Bang Her.
- Nathan and Haley in a memorable scene on One Tree Hill. At the wedding reception of Lucas and Peyton, no less.
- Rome: Marc Antony stops his army just to have sex with a random shepherdess this way. (She looks rather bored, as if this sort of thing happens all the time.)
- In an episode of Rush Michael and Stella do this.
- While it's not shown, an episode of Scrubs reveals that this is Dr. Cox's favorite sex position. Hilarity Ensues when Jordan offers it to him after he hurt his back earlier in the day. He cried during it.
- Stargate Universe: Lt. Matthew Scott and Lt. Vanessa James are doing this in a storeroom before being interrupted by Colonel Young's radio call, in the first episode. The scene was cut during some UK broadcasts, leaving the viewer with no explanation of why Matt looks flustered when he reports for duty and far worse, causing Vanessa's later jealousy over Matt and Chloe to seem unfounded and stalkerish.
- In the Supernatural episode "Heart" (S02, Ep17), Sam slams Madison against the wall as they start pulling each others clothes off.
- Benedict Cumberbatch's character did this in the first episode of To the Ends of the Earth.
- *NSYNC's song "Up Against The Wall". During live performances of the song, the band's dancers would throw them up against speaker shaped velcro walls.
She took my hand
We never said a word at all
She starting grinding
Shorty had me up against the wall
Ask me about tomorrow
You know that I don't care at all
I just got caught up when
She had me up against the wall
- "Dirty Little Thing" by Adelitas Way
"I like it when you're watching me, you grind your teeth, I like it when we're up against the wall"
- Tupac Shakur's Rather Be Your N.I.G.G.A
"Makin' love all day against the wall in the hallway"
- The title character in Max Payne 2 does this to Mona Sax, then later hallucinates about doing it again.
- The Neverwinter Nights module The Bastard of Kosigan has at least three possible occurrences (with Laura in the witches' cave hideout, with Diane using a tree on the way to the bandit camp, and the somewhat...thorough...make-out scene with Alex in the end of the second module). Most other sexual encounters in that series use either beds or tables.
- School Days:
- Out of Makoto's sex scenes in the original game plus the Updated Re Release, three are like this: one is with Sekai and happens in the rooftop of the school, another is with Hikari against a wall out in the open, and the remasterized version adds one where he fingers Kotonoha against a love hotel wall while she gives him a handjob.
- In the sequel Cross Days, two of Yuuki's sex scenes with Ai Yamagata take place against walls: in one he does her from behind, and on the other they're facing each other.
- The culminating scene of Miranda's romance in Mass Effect 2 starts looking like Shepard and Miranda are going to have sex on the console, then they head for the wall, before finally settling on the floor.
- Used for the sex scene between Ivan and Gian while in Ivan's safe house, near the very end of his route, in Lucky Dog 1.
- Ryo and Nurse Kaori from Crescendo manage to pull this in, of all places, a store's fitting room.
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition, this can happen between the Inquisitor and a romanced The Iron Bull.
- Out of the sex scenes in True Love Junai Monogatari, the one between the Player Character and the Hospital Hottie Misako is the one that fits the most as he does her against the wall of the school's sick bay.
- The one and only explicit sex scene in College Roomies from Hell!!! has this between Mike and April.
- Magick Chicks: Done while Faith and her boyfriend, Ash, were making out in the park. In the upper-left panel, his thumb is hooked in the waistband of her panties, pulling them and her sweat pants partway down. While the bottom-left shows him leaning further down, indicating he's pulling them off. Their lower bodies are kept out of frame, but by the final panel, he's inside her and bangs her against the tree.