Jewel Belair Staite (born June 2, 1982) is a Canadian-born actress best known as the cheery, plucky mechanic Kaylee in Firefly.
Born in White Rock, British Columbia, Jewel spent most of the first four years of her life on Maui. She became a child model and actress, scoring roles on such shows as Are You Afraid of the Dark? and The X-Files (where she received CPR from David Duchovny) before scoring her first two big roles as Becca Fisher on the Disney Channel series Flash Forward (1996) and rainbow-haired mechanic Catalina on the Peter David-created series Space Cases. A successful teevee career followed, though she remained under the radar until she got her Hollywood break as Kaylee.
She has a Twitter, at the expected address.
- Flash Forward (1996): Becca Fisher
- Space Cases: Catalina
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids the TV Series: Tiara van Horn
- Higher Ground: Daisy "Graves" Lipenowski
- Da Vinci's Inquest: Gabriella Da Vinci
- Firefly: Kaywinnet Lee Frye.
- Wonderfalls: Heidi Gotts
- Stargate Atlantis: Dr. Jennifer Keller (a few years after playing a Wraith)
- Supernatural: Amy Pond. May or may not be a Shout-Out.
- The L.A. Complex: Raquel Westbrook
- A-Cup Angst:"Been praying for bigger boobs on my birthday since I was 13 years old. It finally happened. Thank you, fetus.
- Food Porn: She happily shares some in her food blog, Happy Opu ("Opu" is Hawaiian for "stomach").
- Old Shame: She was in the Party Mania board game, but she's pretty averse to discussing it◊.
- Self-Deprecation: For starters, her character on The L.A. Complex is a White-Dwarf Starlet former teen star.
- We Named the Monkey "Jack": She named the cocker spaniel she got after doing the movie CheA+s "Teddy", which was her character's name in the movie.