David Duchovny (born August 7, 1960 in New York, New York) is an American actor, writer, director, and producer known best for his role as Agent Fox Mulder on the hit Fox sci-fi show The X-Files. Other notable roles Duchovny has taken are Hank Moody in Californication and Sam Hodiak in the Period Drama Aquarius, the latter of which he also produces.
After an infamous contractual dispute, Duchovny was responsible for moving the filming location of The X-Files from Vancouver to Los Angeles from the show's sixth season on. Duchovny cited being closer to his then-wife actress Téa Leoni as the reason for this move, though after a rocky marriage into the Turn of the Millennium, the couple later divorced in 2014.
He kicked off something of a musical career in 2015 with the release of his first studio album Hell or Highwater, as well as a book-writing career as he published three books: Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale in 2015, Bucky F*cking Dent in 2016 and Miss Subways in 2018.
Notable roles by Duchovny:
- Twin Peaks: Denise/Dennis Bryson (1990-1991; 2017)
- The X-Files: Special Agent Fox Mulder (1993-2002; 2008; 2016; 2018)
- Californication: Hank Moody (2007-2014)
- Aquarius: Sam Hodiak (2015-2016)
- Actor Shipping: Some fans ship him with his X-Files co-star Gillian Anderson.
- Dull Surprise: Sometimes his acting is emotionless and deadpan. The X-Files: Fight the Future lampshades and mocks it in a scene.
- I Am Not Spock: "I am not Agent Mulder." Mulder is his most famous role. Even when the show was in its third season and was getting huge, people hinted it could continue with a film series a la Star Trek. He did not wish it, not even then, fearing he would be typecast. He later said he would be OK with playing Fox Mulder forever, if the audience wanted to see it.
- Star-Making Role: He was known before, but Agent Fox Mulder of The X-Files turned him into a household name.
- Written by Cast Member: He wrote and directed two episodes of The X-Files, "The Unnatural" and "Hollywood A.D.". He also shares writing credits for several Myth Arc episodes.