Series about young performers trying to make it big in Hollywood, all living in a converted motel called the Deluxe Suites (or "Luxe for short), produced by Epitome Pictures (the people behind Degrassi and Instant Star).
Tropes applying to this series:
- The Alleged Car: Abby's mid-90s Honda Civic in the Pilot. Partly her fault; it has a huge pile of unpaid parking tickets and still sports Ontario plates six months after she arrived in L.A. so no surprise it gets booted and is never seen again.
- Cast Incest: In-universe on the Show Within a Show that Abby is on in season 2, her co-stars play twins and were having sex in real life.
- Church of Happyology: The Church of Scienetics (a portmanteau of Scientology and Dianetics) gets involved at one point. There's a reference to "Nexu" (pronounced knee-zoo, which is similar to Xenu).
- Expy: Abby's basically Manny Santos, down to the same actor and her boyfriend back in Toronto being a mechanic.
- I Just Want to Be Special: All the major characters want to be actors or other performers.
- Immoral Reality Show: Raquel appears on Celebrity Halfway House, and realizes the show cares more about creating drama, rather than trying to help people with addictions.
- I Was Young and Needed the Money: This happens to Alicia, when she starts doing porn.
- Ms. Fanservice: Alicia, played by the drop-dead gorgeous Chelan Simmons.
- Old Media Playing Catch-Up: Subverted. It's been renewed on the strength of online views at TheCW.com
- Parental Abandonment: Connor's mother abandoned him at a young age, and Beth and Simon's dad left them shortly before the show. Alicia's family always doesn't seem to care about her.
- Promotion to Parent: Beth, to Simon.
- Put on a Bus: Tariq and Alicia
- Self-Harm: Connor poured boiling water on himself, deliberately crashed his car and set his house on fire. His sister used to cut too.
- Shout-Out: Tariq's first job in the music industry? Coming up with beats for an upcoming Drake project.
- Stage Mom: Beth's a stage older sister to Simon.
- Stylistic Suck: Nick's standup routine.
- White-Dwarf Starlet: Raquel.-We had a lousy timeslot.