"Sex, drugs, and rock & roll... nothing ever changes."
—Tagline from one of the DVD boxes
"Look, I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a Mod, see?"
There's plenty of overlap, but several tropes are exclusive to the movie.
- The Ace: Ace Face, at first.
- Actually Pretty Funny: When Ace Face nonchalantly pays his fine in court, even the rockers laugh.
- Adaptation Expansion: Most of the film actually takes place before the riots in Brighton.
- Downer Ending: Jimmy steals Ace's scooter and heads out to Beachy Head, riding close to the cliff-edge. Finally, he crashes the scooter over a cliff, which is where the film begins, with Jimmy walking back from the cliff-top with a sunset back drop - now unemployed and homeless.
- I Have No Son!: Jimmy's mother says this when she kicks him out.
- Large Ham: Phil Daniels as Jimmy.
- Lower-Class Lout: The Teddy boys. The Mods are little better.
- Male Frontal Nudity: One scene takes place in a public bath.
- Trauma Conga Line: First Jimmy gets arrested in Brighton, only to get kicked out of his parents' house, lose his job, his girlfriend, his mates, gets his scooter wrecked and eventually finds out his idol, Ace Face, is nothing more than a common bellboy.