She Hate Me is a 2004 comedy-drama film directed by Spike Lee.
John Henry "Jack" Armstrong (Anthony Mackie) is a Harvard graduate and a financially successful, upwardly mobile executive at a biotechnology firm. After a colleague commits suicide, Armstrong uncovers corrupt business practices and attempts to blow the whistle. He's promptly fired on false grounds of security fraud, and his assets are frozen. Things are looking bleak, when all of a sudden his ex-fiancée Fatima Goodrich (Kerry Washington), who came out as a lesbian and broke up with him four years ago, turns up at his door. She and her girlfriend Alex Guerrero (Dania Ramirez) offer him a proposition: they want babies, and they're willing to offer him $10,000 dollars to impregnate them both. After he reluctantly (oh, come on) agrees, Fatima brings him friends of hers, all of whom likewise want kids and are willing to pay him $10,000 to impregnate them. He acts as though it's hell (give us a break...). Meanwhile, he pushes for his whisteblowing to be taken seriously.
This film provides examples of:
- All Lesbians Want Kids: Enforced beyond description, as every single lesbian in the film wants kids, and will pay for Jack to impregnate them. Justified as it's specifically this group who seek him out.
- Bedroom Adultery Scene: Jack and Fatima broke up after he caught her having sex with a woman in their bed.
- Bisexual Love Triangle: A growing one between Armstrong, Fatima, and Alex; despite what the title would have us believe, it's actually more of a subplot than the actual story. They all end up being together.
- Butch Lesbian: One batch of Armstrong's customers consists of these, with more masculine styles and in a few cases too a far more aggressive attitude in bed.
- Chosen Conception Partner: Jack's ex Fatima pays him to impregnate her and Alex, her girlfriend. After this she sets him up with a ton of lesbians as well for the same purpose. He does it out of desperation for money after losing his job and getting blackballed, along with his assets being frozen.
- Disappeared Dad: Discussed as Jack is hired to impregnate women and they have him sign donor agreements waiving parental rights. He stays involved with two of his kids lives at least though, and possibly all of them-he's shown with their mothers in a group scene right near the end.
- Driven to Suicide: Schiller jumps out of a window to his death in the very first scene.
- Fanservice Extra: A ton of women are seen while having sex with Jack, and most (although not all) of them are attractive.
- Fan Disservice: Some of the women Jack has sex with aren't so attractive, and in one case half-strangles him during the act despite his protests.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Milked for all its worth to mixed results from the audience. Two fairly explicit scenes with Fatima having sex with women (once her and Alex, her girlfriend, previously another woman who'd made her realize she's a lesbian) are shown. Some Italian-American mob guys also discuss this, claiming disgust toward lesbian sex but are also into viewing it in porn.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Fatima, Alex and most of the others are this, with a feminine style overall (though those two appear to really be bisexuals).
- Ms. Fanservice: Kerry Washington has a lengthy scene in sexy lingerie before her character Fatima has sex with Jack. She's also shown having sex with women twice, fairly explicitly.
- Nixon Mask: A guy wearing one appears in a dream sequence.
- No Bisexuals: The film infamously refers to Fatima and Alex as "lesbians" even though they end up in a polyamorous relationship with Jack.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Jack suffers greatly over blowing the whistle about his company, losing his job, being blackballed and his assets being frozen. He and his dad discuss it too, with the story of Frank Wells (the African-American Watergate security guard who discovered the burglary, reporting it to the police), whose life was ruined as a result. At the Congressional hearing later, Jack also brings up the other whistleblowers against Enron, World Com and the FBI who also suffered for it.
- Playing Gertrude: John Turturro and Monica Bellucci play father and daughter. He is just seven years older than her.
- Polyamory: How the above Bisexual Love Triangle gets resolved at the end of the film, as Jack, Fatima and Alex end up in a relationship.
- Screaming Birth: All of the women Jack impregnated shown giving birth scream while doing so.
- Sex Montage: There are multiple ones showing Jack while having sex with the women who'd paid him to impregnate them.
- Title Drop: Armstrong reveals that he nicknamed Fatima "She Hate Me" after their breakup.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Deconstructed. Armstrong is still bitter over Fatima breaking up with him years earlier, while Alex later fears that Fatima will eventually leave her to get back together with him. If things weren't complicated enough, Armstrong starts developing feelings of attraction toward Alex, who is strictly misandric from the start. It all gets resolved with the three of them forming a poly-amorous relationship and Alex finally (if somewhat reluctantly) returning Armstrong's romantic feelings.
- Wall Bang Her: Fatima and Jack have sex up against the wall for part of the time.