Angelina Jolie, DCMG (born Angelina Jolie Voight, June 4, 1975 in Los Angeles, California, The United States) is an American actress and director, and Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency. She is the daughter of actors Jon Voight and Marcheline Bertrand.
She has received three Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and an Academy Award. Jolie has promoted humanitarian causes throughout the world, and is noted for her work with refugees through UNHCR. She has been cited as one of the world's most beautiful women and her off-screen life is widely reported. Divorced from actors Jonny Lee Miller and Billy Bob Thornton, she entered a relationship with Brad Pitt in 2005. The couple married in 2014, but Jolie filed for a divorce in 2016. She and Pitt have six children: Maddox, Zahara, Pax, Shiloh, Knox and Vivienne (three biological, three adopted). She has multiple tattoos, several of which she has had removed or covered over the years, most notably her "Billy Bob" and dragon tattoos. She has also been very open and honest about her "wild child" past and her bisexuality.
She is known for her varied roles (though she does tend to be cast as strong female characters, usually Action Girls) and her critically acclaimed acting, including earning Oscar nominations for her roles in Girl, Interrupted and Changeling. Unfortunately, her incredible acting skills and charity work tend to be overshadowed by (usually false and malicious) rumours, her personal life, her estrangement from her father (they couldn't be more different politically), and, more recently, her relationship with fellow actor Brad Pitt, whom she separated from in 2016. Her career started off very quietly, with a lot of independent movies and low-popularity fare (which featured a ton of nudity and a lot of Wild Child-type parts), before a big break in Girl, Interrupted earned her the Best Supporting Actress Oscar and mainstream credibility. Unlike many actresses, she continued to do nude work well after she hit big.
In 2011, she made her directorial debut with In the Land of Blood and Honey, a low-key drama about the Bosnian War. In 2014, she directed the World War II film Unbroken. Her fourth film, First They Killed My Father, was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Foreign Language Film in 2018.
She has become highly active in efforts to end sexual violence in conflict, heading up a major summit on the issue held in London.
- Lookin To Get Out (1982) as Tosh
- Cyborg 2 (1993) as Casella "Cash" Reese
- Hackers (1995) as Kate "Acid Burn" Libby
- Without Evidence (1996) as Jodie Swearingen
- Love Is All There Is (1996) as Gina Malacici
- Mojave Moon (1996) as Ellie
- Foxfire (1996) as Margaret "Legs" Sadovsky
- True Women (1997) as Georgia Lawshe Woods
- George Wallace (1997) as Cornelia Wallace
- Playing God (1997) as Claire
- Gia (1998) as Gia Carangi
- Hells Kitchen (1998) as Gloria McNeary
- Playing by Heart (1998) as Joan
- Pushing Tin (1998) as Mary Bell
- The Bone Collector (1999) as Amelia Donaghy
- Girl, Interrupted (1999) as Lisa Rowe
- Gone In Sixty Seconds (2000) as Sara "Sway" Wayland
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) as Lara Croft
- Original Sin (2001) as Julia Russell
- Life Or Something Like It (2002) as Lanie Kerrigan
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003) as Lara Croft
- Beyond Borders (2003) as Sarah Jordan
- Taking Lives (2004) as Illeana Scott
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) as Francesca "Franky" Cook
- The Fever (cameo) (2004) as Revolutionary
- Alexander (2004) as Olympias
- Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) (2005) as Jane Smith
- The Good Shepherd (2006) as Margaret "Clover" Russell Wilson
- A Mighty Heart (2007) as Mariane Pearl
- Beowulf (2007) as Grendel's Mother (motion capture and voice-over)
- Wanted (2008) as Fox
- Changeling (2008) as Christine Collins
- Salt (2010) as Evelyn Salt
- The Tourist (2010) as Elise Clifton-Ward
- Maleficent (2014) as Maleficent
- By The Sea (2015) as Vanessa
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019) as Maleficent
- Eternals (2021) as Thena
Tropes common to Angelina Jolie's roles:
- Action Girl: Is well-known for playing them, although it certainly isn't the only type of role she can play. Examples include Lara Croft, Jane Smith, Evelyn Salt, Fox, Maleficent, and Master Tigress. She's probably the most bankable Action Girl in Hollywood history; according to Box Office Mojo, three of the top twelve highest-grossing films under its Action Heroine category are Jolie films, and the list doesn't factor in Wanted, in which Jolie had a prominent Action Girl supporting role, or Maleficent, a fantasy smash hit credited to her star power; both would place in the top-six if included and her films have only dropped down the list due to the recent success of The Hunger Games and Divergent.
- Biopic: She portrayed Gia Marie Carangi in Gia.
- The Cast Showoff: In Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, there's a scene where Lara plays with a switchblade. Jolie collects knives and is evidently good at handling them.
- Comic-Book Fantasy Casting: The comic book The Ultimates redesigned the Scarlet Witch after Jolie's likeness.
- Cry Cute: She is known for looking beautiful even when she's crying, which she uses to great effect in sad scenes.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: She's a master of this when the role requires it. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider is a good example.
- Fake Nationality: Angelina has played several non-American characters:
- Friend to All Children: Guaranteed. Brangelina have adopted three children.
- Hollywood Hype Machine: A major success story. It got behind her around Girl, Interrupted and hasn't stopped since, and shows few signs of faltering.
- Howl of Sorrow: She is very, very good at this when the role calls for it, especially in A Mighty Heart.
- Ms. Fanservice:
- She is one of the most prolific actresses in Hollywood history for showing her naked body in film - easily one of the most nude "mainstream" stars. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Wanted are two examples (although there it's only from the back). Her early works add up to the point where she has more movies where she got naked than ones where she didn't. It's also pretty fitting that "Jolie" translates as "beautiful" in French.
- A notable example of her being completely naked is in Gia. After leaving the bedroom to find her absent partner, she finds her in front of an elevator. Although her naked body is mentioned by said partner, she is unfazed. Due to being unfazed, she continues to stand directly in front of the elevator only for two anonymous males to find her standing in front of them.
- No Stunt Double: In Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Jolie did most of her own stunts, the production crew even said that the stunt woman trying to do the pendulum swing got motion sickness while Jolie did it herself.