Angelina Jolie, DCMG (born Angelina Jolie Voight, June 4, 1975) is an American actress and Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency. She is the daughter of actors Jon Voight and Marcheline Bertrand.
She has received three Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and an Academy Award. Jolie has promoted humanitarian causes throughout the world, and is noted for her work with refugees through UNHCR. She has been cited as one of the world's most beautiful women and her off-screen life is widely reported. Divorced from actors Jonny Lee Miller and Billy Bob Thornton, she entered a relationship with Brad Pitt in 2005. The couple married in 2014, but Jolie filed for a divorce in 2016. She and Pitt have six children: Maddox, Zahara, Pax, Shiloh, Knox and Vivienne. She has multiple tattoos, several of which she has had removed or covered over the years, most notably her "Billy Bob" and dragon tattoos. She has also been very open and honest about her "wild child" past and her bisexuality.
She is known for her varied roles (though she does tend to be cast as strong female characters, usually Action Girls) and her critically acclaimed acting, including earning Oscar nominations for her roles in Girl, Interrupted and Changeling. Unfortunately, her incredible acting skills and charity work tend to be overshadowed by (usually false and malicious) rumours, her personal life, her estrangement from her father (they couldn't be more different politically), and, more recently, her relationship with fellow actor Brad Pitt, whom she separated from in 2016. Her career started off very quietly, with a lot of independent movies and low-popularity fare (which featured a ton of nudity and a lot of Wild Child-type parts), before a big break in Girl, Interrupted earned her the Best Supporting Actress Oscar and mainstream credibility. Unlike many actresses, she continued to do nude work well after she hit big.
She has become highly active in efforts to end sexual violence in conflict, heading up a major summit on the issue held in London.
Filmography (as a director):
- A Place In Time (2007)
- In The Land Of Blood And Honey (2011)
- Unbroken (2014)
- By the Sea (2015) (as Angelina Jolie-Pitt)
- First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers (2017)
Filmography: (as an actor)
- Lookin' to Get Out (1982) as Tosh
- Cyborg 2 (1993) as Casella "Cash" Reese
- Hackers (1995) as Kate "Acid Burn" Libby
- Without Evidence (1996) as Jodie Swearingen
- Love Is All There Is (1996) as Gina Malacici
- Mojave Moon (1996) as Ellie
- Foxfire (1996) as Margaret "Legs" Sadovsky
- True Women (1997) as Georgia Lawshe Woods
- George Wallace (1997) as Cornelia Wallace
- Playing God (1997) as Claire
- Gia (1998) as Gia Carangi
- Hell's Kitchen (1998) as Gloria McNeary
- Playing by Heart (1998) as Joan
- Pushing Tin (1998) as Mary Bell
- The Bone Collector (1999) as Amelia Donaghy
- Girl, Interrupted (1999) as Lisa Rowe
- Gone In Sixty Seconds (2000) as Sara "Sway" Wayland
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) as Lara Croft
- Original Sin (2001) as Julia Russell
- Life or Something Like It (2002) as Lanie Kerrigan
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003) as Lara Croft
- Beyond Borders (2003) as Sarah Jordan
- Taking Lives (2004) as Illeana Scott
- Shark Tale (2004) as Lola (voice-over)
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) as Francesca "Franky" Cook
- The Fever (cameo) (2004) as Revolutionary
- Alexander (2004) as Olympias
- Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) (2005) as Jane Smith
- The Good Shepherd (2006) as Margaret "Clover" Russell Wilson
- A Mighty Heart (2007) as Mariane Pearl
- Beowulf (2007) as Grendel's mother (motion capture and voice-over)
- Kung Fu Panda (2008) as Master Tigress (voice-over)
- Wanted (2008) as Fox
- Changeling (2008) as Christine Collins
- Salt (2010) as Evelyn Salt
- The Tourist (2010) as Elise Clifton-Ward
- Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) as Master Tigress (voice-over)
- Maleficent (2014) as Maleficent
- By The Sea (2015) as Vanessa
- Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016) as Master Tigress (voice-over)
Tropes common to Angelina Jolie's roles:
- Action Girl: Is well-known for playing them, although it certainly isn't the only type of role she can play. Examples include Lara Croft, Jane Smith, Evelyn Salt, Fox, Maleficent, and Master Tigress. She's probably the most bankable Action Girl in Hollywood history; according to Box Office Mojo, three of the top twelve highest-grossing films under its Action Heroine category are Jolie films, and the list doesn't factor in Wanted, in which Jolie had a prominent Action Girl supporting role, or Maleficent, a fantasy smash hit credited to her star power; both would place in the top-six if included and her films have only dropped down the list due to the recent success of The Hunger Games and Divergent.
- Biopic: Portrayed Gia Marie Carangi in Gia.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: She's a master of this when the role requires it. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider is a good example.
- Friend to All Children: Guaranteed. Brangelina have adopted three children.
- Hollywood Hype Machine: A major success story. It got behind her around Girl, Interrupted and hasn't stopped since, and shows few signs of faltering.
- Howl of Sorrow: She is very, very good at this when the role calls for it, especially in A Mighty Heart.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is one of the most prolific actresses in Hollywood history for showing her naked body in film - easily one of the most nude "mainstream" stars. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Wanted are recent examples. Her early work adds up to the point where she has more movies where she got naked than ones where she didn't.