Certain old and upcoming spoilers will be unmarked, so read ahead at your own risk.
open/close all folders
A Jerk with a Heart of Gold Jakkai, with a less than healthy skepticism regarding anything supernatural. The story kicks off after her death.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: In spades. It's all but spelled out that this is part of the reason she ended up in the Ring of the Slightly Damned. Despite that, she holds on to it after her return to Medius, in part because her village was rather isolated.
- Archnemesis Dad: Her father is Moonshade.
- Back from the Dead: Word of God has confirmed that she is alive again.
- Bi the Way: She's confirmed by Word of God to swing both ways, having a mild Ship Tease with Jake, but also voicing her interest in a relationship with Kieri if her relationship with Buwaro doesn't work out.
- More recently, the author said that she actually is Demiromantic Asexual, meaning that she is not interested in sex, but may be interested in romance with someone that she already has a strong emotional bond with.
- Cool Big Sis: Agrees to take this role for Buwaro. Later she does the same for Kieri.
- Dead to Begin With: As noted, the story begins with her arriving in the afterlife.
- Deadpan Snarker: Frequently and often, mostly directed at Kieri.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her Earth Spike spell.
- Fish out of Water: Her village was very traditional and isolated, so she tends to be a bit shocked when learning that things like merfolk are real, which plays into her Arbitrary Skepticism.
- Hellish Pupils: Her eyes become snake-like after she drinks the yellow potion, later they change again (though quite not to the same extent) when she expresses annoyance at the Sinclairs for leaving the egg behind.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Her failure to prevent Kieri's capture lowered her self-worth and now thinks she doesn't deserve to have her injuries healed.
- Inept Mage: As a Jakkai, she has basically only one spell she can use. When she takes the magic-boosting potion, however...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sassy and rude, but she does go out of her way to do the right thing.
- Made of Iron: Holy. CRAP. In order, Rhea was beaten and thrashed around by Abyset, got hit with some pretty strong attacks by Lazuli, got caught in the middle of a Bar Brawl between demons, jumped off a high-speed wagon and landed face-first, got smacked across the ground HARD by Berserk Lazuli, and collapses from exhaustion after using her newfound Guardian powers to severely injure Lazuli - all in a single day. And she's perfectly fine a few days later. No bandages, casts or anything. Keep in mind, that 1.) She isn't a demon, and 2.) she didn't even drink the Rainbow Reverie potion that would have given her increased defense (the purple one).
- Meaningful Name: As with all Jakkai, her last name states something about her appearance. In this case, it's her long tail. It's also one of many hints that she is Moonshade's daughter, and has Moku's powers like him. Her first name also provides some hints.
- Never My Fault: Gets a moment of this early in the story after she is mauled to death by berserk Buwaro, she is questioning why she should be apologizing to him and still insults him but the only reason he went berserk was because she stole his star pendant just to mock him.
- Running on All Fours: She, like all Jakkai, will drop to all fours when she needs to move quickly.
- Scaled Up: After drinking the magic enhancing yellow potion, she gains snake features and an immense boost in magic power. This also confirms that she's one of Moku's descendants.
- Scars Are Forever: She has a scar in the place where she was stabbed, on her chest.
- Semi-Divine: Related to Moku, the Earth snake Guardian.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: She has yellow (yellow gold?) eyes and is a descendant the the guardian Moku and is potentially capable of very powerful magic. According to her father Moonshade, she inherited them from her mother which he describes as "eyes like the sun".
- Superspeed: She gets this after she drinks the blue Rainbow Reverie potion. She is able to catch up with a horse pulled wagon.
The less than intelligent demon given charge of Rhea during her stay in the Ring of the Slightly Damned. Starts off insufferably cute and naive, but slowly matures as the comic progresses.
- 0% Approval Rating: Not with any of the Median characters, but the amount of demons who haven't tried to kill him at one point or another is very short. Especially after revealing Sakido's death to a group of them later in the comic.
- Aroused by Their Voice: Buwaro has a shockingly good singing voice as shown in this page, despite the fact that he probably had never sang before in his life. Kieri blushes and gives him a hug after hearing him sing.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Passive and harmless as he is, there's been at least one time where he became legitimately violent without going into berserk mode. Don't hurt Kieri around him.
- Breath Weapon: Like all Fire Demons, though he rarely uses it, likely because his isn't very potent.
- Childhood Brain Damage: Buwaro's frequent blows to the head (failed rock catches) might go some way to explain his lack of intelligence, but there are other factors, such as damage to his egg before birth and being left alone for long periods of time.
- Cain and Abel: He is the Abel to Iratu's Cain.
- Cute Little Fangs
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: When he opens his mouth a bit wider.
- Cute Monster Girl: Gender-flipped, obviously.
- The Ditz: Initially. He's become much sharper over the course of the story, though he still has some Ditz moments.
- Fictional Disability: Buwaro's birth defect, making him psycho / physio-logically different from normal demons. He's naturally always in a Berzerk State. His necklace is what keeps him in check.
- Fish out of Water: Very much so, although he's somewhat better about it than he used to be.
- Happily Adopted: More after the fact. He was too young to know Darius, the angel who protected him, Iratu and Sakido. But when Kieri read the diary Darius had kept (it was written in the Angelic language, which Buwaro and Rhea didn't know but supposedly Sakido somehow did), and the group realized some of the lengths he went to for their sake, Buwaro came to see him as his father.
- Right before they escaped Hell and she died, Sakido asked Rhea to be the big sister for Buwaro that she never was.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempts to pull one off for Kieri's sake. Fortunately, he recovered.
- Informed Attractiveness: Inverted. More than one person has called him ugly, and it was enough to make him self-conscious about it for a little while, but his status as a Cute Monster Boy doesn't give any of it much leverage.
- Invisible Parents: They were both killed during the war. They do actually make appearances, but by the time we've seen both of them, they're both already dead.
- Lightning Bruiser: After he drinks the red Rainbow Reverie potion and goes partially berserk he is fast enough to catch up to a wagon that had a head start and is large and strong enough to bite into Lazuli and through her off the wagon.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Demons punish the dead (usually by torture) for the sins they committed during life. The cruelest thing he's ever done on purpose was stomp on Rhea's tail. He even asked Death (who was actually Darius in disguise) if this was OK before he did it. Rhea proceeded to beat him up in return.
- And once again during chapter 9 when he pretends to have been deceiving Kieri, but when he tries to come up an insult for the angel he remembers the pleasant time he had with her and starts to tear up.
- Magic Pants: Getting severely electrocuted by Denevol ruined all of his clothing except for his pants, much to Rhea's relief.
- Never Learned to Read: Didn't have much opportunity to, growing up all alone in the Ring of the Slightly Damned. Though Kieri is currently teaching him.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: You KNOW he's pissed at someone when he actively starts a fight by punching them in the ribs.
- Playing with Fire: He's a fire demon, so this is natural. Of course, he's still learning how to control it. His berserk form uses it much more effectively.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted mostly. His eyes are always red (and he can make them glow a brighter red to see in the dark), but they're completely non-indicative of his personality. His berserk form has them by default, though, and the trope is very much in effect when that happens.
- Strong Family Resemblance: In general appearance he greatly resembles his mother but with his father's eyes and (reversed) colors while some of his features (horns and ears) are theirs blended together.
- According to this AU comic if his parents (or at least his mother) lived to nurse and raise him he would have a more even blending of their features such as a longer neck and muzzle as well as larger more curved claws.
- Superpowered Evil Side: In fact, it's technically his default personality (he was even born that way). It's only due to Darius's medallion that he has a more normal self.
- Superspeed: When in a potion induced berserk state note he is able to quickly catch up to the horse drawn wagon holding Kieri and other captive angels despite it have a head start and shortly after he is is able to keep up with Rhea after she drinks a potion that gives her Superspeed of her own.
- Sweet Tooth: He hasn't found food he doesn't like but his favorite is sweet things like chocolate qnd cookies.
- Taking the Bullet: Pushed Kieri out of the way of an attack meant for her.
Kieri "Snowy" Suizahn
A young angel currently lost in Medius. She's socially awkward, due to her troubled upbringing. Despite this, she's the most competent of the three when it comes to combat.
- Abusive Parents: Was physically and verbally abused by her mother.
- Baleful Polymorph: Toski turned her into a snow bunny, though it wasn't applied properly and she has some control over it.
- Berserker Tears: On page 832◊, when she finally kills Lazuli.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted. By the end of the St. Curtis arc on page 832◊ she's scared, bloody, and burned from her fight with Lazuli.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Although normally sweet and shy, she does lose her temper from time to time. Also, she's the only one of the protagonists (exempting Buwaro's Superpowered Evil Side) to have intentionally killed someone in a fight.
- Cute Bruiser: That sword of hers isn't for opening letters...
- Friendless Background: She was often excluded from games by the other warrior angels because of her shy demeanor and lack of prowess while the caretakee angels were intimidated by her warrior status and kept their distance, in fact the reason she learnt lingo in the first place was to try and find friends among the medians... It didn't work.
- Healing Hands: When Buwaro is dying after taking an energy attack from a Seraph intended for her, she desperately tries to use healing magic on him, though she has little experience with it. The way she uses it makes it look like a Magical Defibrillator, too. Miraculously, she succeeds at reviving him.
- It has been implied that she actually is better at it than she thinks she is, due to her self-esteem issues. According to her brother, she is better at it than he is. After several of her friends are wounded in battle, she heals them quite easily, although in this case their wounds were not nearly as serious as what had previously happened to Buwaro.
- Heroic BSoD: She's pushed to the brink of her sanity in the St. Curtis arc. Starting with the mutual genocide between the angels and demons, she gets worse and worse as her brother (who she had just reunited with) doesn't trust her, her kind gets rounded up as sacrifices, and breaks into Berserker Tears on page 832◊ as she's forced to kill Lazuli.
- An Ice Person: Her preferred method of magic.
- Making a Splash: Used less often than her ice powers, but she still has this.
- My God, What Have I Done?: In page 863. It takes a heart of 24 carat gold to wonder if LAZULI truly deserved to die.
- No-Self Buffs: Kieri is asked when her scars are revealed why she didn't heal them, and again Buwaro tells her to heal herself next, she starts crying. It's possible she can't heal herself.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: When Kazai wants to save the other angels and insinuates that Kieri doesn't care about them when she shows reluctance her shy, timid demeanor disappears and she very sternly tells Kazai the problems with his plan without any emotion on her face.
- Partial Transformation: Only manages to partially push through the curse to save Rhea.
- Sanity Slippage: She was already a tad bit psychologically imbalanced to begin with, but to say the demon invasion of St. Curtis, watching one of her friends get killed in front of her, and being forced to kill 2 demons have had a negative impact on her psyche is a massive understatement. She will never be the same after this.
- And before this, being at an archery stand, when her memories cause her to lose it, and blow up one of the targets.
- Self-Harm: It's been confirmed by the artist that the multiple scars on her arm are indeed her own doing, most likely to deal with her abusive mother, among other issues. They were foreshadowed in a earlier page when Rhea accidentally saw them, and wondered why Kieri didn't bother to use her healing magic on them.
- Shrinking Violet: Due to her upbringing. While she has opened up much more around Buwaro and Rhea, she still tends towards this around other people.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Subverted, as her hair, like all angels, started out white. She was required to dye it blue as part of her uniform.
CrunkyA rare golden wyvern.
- Animals Not to Scale: In-universe, Crunky is unusually small for a wyvern.
- Blow You Away: She's capable of magically generating powerful gusts of wind by flapping her wings.
- Female Monster Surprise: Although it's not that big of a deal, a Khamega hoping to buy Crunky is able to easily tell that it's a girl, even though Kieri had no idea.
- Loyal Animal Companion: She quickly became this to Kieri to the point where she blew dirt into the eyes of Kazai and Verammi for upsetting and attacking her respectively, tries to attack Buwaro after he's forced to take Kieri captive to prevent her from getting herself killed by several demonsand is was even willing to fight Lazuli to protect Kieri.
- Team Pet: Belongs to Kieri, given to her by Buwaro.
- It's also heavily implied that she was this to the old couple who owned the Coiled Cobra Bar before Azurai killed them.
- Humans Are Average: Their stronger than fairies but weaker than jakkai, khamega and demons. Their also better magic users than jakkai, earth demons and khamega but worse so than angels, fairies and most other demons. Despite this the main site describes them as the most widespread and technologically advanced species.
Seymour SinclairAnother denizen of the Ring of the Slightly Damned, he's been trying to swim across the River Styx to Heaven for quite some time.
- Impossible Task: He certainly hasn't made any progress swimming the River Styx.
- Lovable Rogue: He had stolen alot but was presumably one of these given he was in the ring of the slightly damned (reserved only for those whose bad in life only slightly outweighed the good) and not hell proper.
- Scars Are Forever: He retains the horrific injuries from the failed stunt that killed him.
Heathcliff "Cliff" SinclairA fairly laid-back man, who has traveled around and seen more things than pretty much everyone else in the cast who isn't a god put together.
- Baleful Polymorph: Was a victim to one in his past, similar to Kieri's.
- Bi the Way: Casually mentions an ex-boyfriend. Word of God pegged him as "Panromantic Asexual" rather then bi... but there's no trope for that.
- Bullying a Dragon: A somewhat complicated case, when he first meets Buwaro he threatens him with his fire magic but as we see, Buwaro is immune to fire magic, which means Cliff's threat were unintentionally hollow.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Heathcliff isn't in favor of Buwaro's relationship with Kieri, but it's not based on malice or prejudice. Instead, he points out several realistic (if stern) reasons why their relationship is unlikely to work out.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Somewhat more jerkish than Rhea, but still is willing to fight to protect his friends and family.
- Pals with Jesus: Subverted. Cliff knows several supernatural beings due to his travels, but when it comes to the guardians themselves, he prefers very little contact with them.
- Playing with Fire: Buwaro is but a candle to this man's blowtorch.
- Semi-Divine: Heavily impled to be Siara the Fire Lynx's descendant.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Briefly transforms into a lynx while battling a demon.
- Wonder Twin Powers: His most powerful spell takes so much energy that he can only use it when paired with Duster.
- The Worf Effect: In Chapter 4, he defeats a Seraph with only two attacks. In Chapter 8, he's taken out rather quickly by Haury, a wind demon peon who isn't even in the same league as Iratu, Azurai, or Tsavo.
- As explained above, this is because he cannot use his most powerful spell by himself.
Miranda SinclairCliff's wife, and much nicer than he is.
- Action Mom: After her pregnancy is over and she no longer has to take it easy.
- Alchemy Is Magic: She's a highly skilled alchemist, capable of brewing the Rainbow Reverie, a set of highly powerful (and valuable) potions that individually act as status buffs.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She seems nice, but it turns out she's quite used to fighting. Her pregnancy just prevented it.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: She let Kieri and her friends travel with her family so Kieri, an experienced angel warrior, could offer them protection on the way to St. Curtis. But, if anything, she's far stronger than Kieri.
- Mama Bear: You're up Shit Creek with no paddle if you think you can threaten her family and get away with it. Just ask Haury and Triska.
- Pirate Girl: Zigzagged Trope. She claims to come from a long line of pirates, but so far it's not clear if she ever actually was one.
- Pregnant Badass: Subverted: She had to take things easy during her pregnancy, but once she'd given birth...
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A non-villainous version. Her eyes glow red after drinking some of the red potion of the Rainbow Reverie set, which boosts her physical strength to superhuman levels.
- Super Strength: Gets it by drinking the red Rainbow Reverie potion. She even lifts her family's wagon over her head!
Samantha "Sammy" KailumThe niece of Cliff and Miranda. Very curious and outgoing, but naturally a little naive due to being a child.
- Cheerful Child: Very much so.
- Happily Adopted: The fact that her parents are dead doesn't really affect her, and she enjoys traveling with her aunt and uncle.
- Playing with Fire: Not at the level of Buwaro or Cliff, but she can toss small fireballs around.
Jake "J" ThorndykeA lazy man who works odd jobs, and who happens to be one of Rhea's old friends.
- Butt-Monkey: Don't get started on how many times this guy has gotten screwed over.
- Crossdresser: He likes to wear dresses as shown here.
- Cuteness Overload: His reaction to seeing Crunky.
- Playing with Fire: It's implied that he's even worse at controlling his fire magic than Buwaro, and is the reason why he lost most of his jobs.
- Always Lawful Good: Averted, they are widely belived to be inherently good but they have committed war crimes during the great war and have warriors prone to Knight Templar behavior. A few even defect to hell all together.
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome: They get their wings and halos from pendants which give them enhanced magic and physical strength.
- The Clan: Their society is divided into clans based on family lines, element and societal role.
- Elemental Powers: Angels have four different elemental abilities that also decides what tattoos they get and who they're allowed to marry.
- Holy Halo: When they get their magic enhancing star pendants they can make a halo over their heads which indicates that they are using their stronger magic.
- Order vs. Chaos: The order side of the conflict, they live in a strictly regimented society with many rules and (compared to humans) look relatively similar.
- Our Angels Are Different: They are pale skinned with Pointy Ears , pure white hair and above average magic.
- Mystical White Hair: Their hair is naturally pure white and they are the most magically powerful race, though you usually can't tell because they dye it according to their element.
- Power Gives You Wings: When they get their sun pendant they can make white wings that can disappear at will.
- Proud Warrior Race: Their warrior caste are very proud of their abilities and can be very brutal in combat.
- Sigil Spam: All angel weapons are designed to resemble the elemental insignia of the angel wielding it.
- White Magic: Their holy magic has few combat applications but it can heal, enchant and protect.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Zig-zagged. Angel hair is naturally pure white but they get it dyed depending on their element. The way it's dyed is also different depending on gender, females have most oc their hair dyed but leave their bangs it's natural white, males leave it mostly uncolored except for the bangs and non-binary have it colored completely.
Darius ElexionOne of the most important characters in the backstory of the comic, Darius was an angel who, after ending up in Hell, basically started raising Iratu, Sakido, and Buwaro before vanishing in an effort to protect them.
- The Blacksmith: Is capable of crafting angelic pendants.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Has earth magic.
- Foreshadowing: A heck of a lot of it, regarding his continued existence as Death.
- God Job: Hi there, Death.
- Invisible to Normals: Nobody can see him when he's gathering the souls of the dead except for Rhea presumably due to the fact she came Back from the Dead.
- This is also somewhat turned around on him and Blue as demons are invisible to them while on Medius.
- Papa Wolf: He went to incredible lengths to make sure his three children, despite being demons, were kept safe.
- Promotion to Parent: He cares for Iratu, Sakido, and later Buwaro when he finds each of them in Hell, and the recent warring between the angels and demons has killed their parents.
- Psychopomp: As Death he can send souls to judgment. Specifically he guides the souls of thoses who didn't end up immediately going to their appropriate afterlife for one reason or another.
- The Reveal: Sakido's "pen pal"? It was him.
- Straight Gay: It's only brought up once, when Kieri finds out that he had a crush on her uncle, and has little to no significance to the story. That said it's one of the things pointed out on the site's FAQ page, with the author being confused as to why it was a big deal.Is Darius gay? Whats the point?
I dont know why this was a such a hard concept for people to grasp, but yes. Darius is homosexual. The point is that there is no point.
Kazai SuizahnKieri's twin brother, who is less studious and more adventurous than his sister. For a large part of the story, the goal of the protagonists was to locate him.
- An Axe to Grind: He has one.
- Baleful Polymorph: It turns out he and Kieri have something in common after all. Though his curse transforms him into a wolf instead.
- Bullying a Dragon: When he ran into Broxis in Farun, he punched him in the face for helping Hell in the war. What possible good did he think would come from that?? He's very lucky all Broxis did was curse him. A fact Kieri recognizes while Kazai is completely oblivious to it.
- The Extremist Was Right: Despite his belligerent attitude and apathy towards medians, he was right not to trust (most of) the demons in St. Curtis.
- Fantastic Racism: He's very prejudiced against both Demons and Medians, to the extent that he thinks all Demons (and apparently Jakkai) are monsters. Naturally, being informed by his sister that she's dating a Demon is something he doesn't exactly take well.
- Fish out of Water: To say he's shocked by how St. Curtis is a Truce Zone for Angels and Demons would be an understatement.
- Gayngst: Implied and then immediately subverted. The way he talks about his relationship with Sanjulo makes you think he's hung up about being gay. Then it turns out he's more bothered about the fact that he's dating an Angel of the opposite element as him (Kazai's water-aligned; Sanjulo is fire-aligned).
- Hot-Blooded: His first reaction to seeing Moonshade and Melli fighting is to ask Kieri who he should attack.
- It's Personal: He seethingly tells Kieri that he plans to make Azurai pay for taking the life of his lover, Sanjulo.
- Making a Splash: Like his sister, he's a water element angel.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: While Kieri was going around helping people while trying to find him, he brought down an avalanche to block a mountain pass for some reason, and got arrested. The two also apparently had an argument prior to getting separated.
- Stockholm Syndrome: He doesn't have it himself, but he thinks his sister has it after she reveals she's dating Buwaro (though he calls it "Stockholder's Syndrome").
- Straight Gay: There is no indication of this given whatsoever until he flirts with Sanjulo in the middle of a battle, but they are indeed an item.
- Ungrateful Bastard: "Thanks" Buwaro for saving him and his sister by punching him in the face. Losing his boyfriend and having Kieri and himself captured and almost killed has all but surely escalated his hatred of demons Up to Eleven, hence his response.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hairdo is an inverted version of his sister's, being mostly white with blue edges. Just like with Kieri, it's probably dyed.
DenevolA wind-aligned elderly angel, and a veteran of the Great War. Does not take well to the idea of angels and demons getting along.
- Asshole Victim: With some subtle shades of a Jerkass Woobie as well. Trying to kill Buwaro just because he's a demon and Kieri just because she likes Buwaro was far from morally right, but given what he's already been through and what he goes through afterward, it's hard not to feel a little sorry for him.
- Ax-Crazy: He's so out of it that he attempts to kill Buwaro just for being a demon and Kieri for protecting him. The look on his face as he kicks around Bunny Kieri is pure GLEE.
- Badass in Distress: He is currently being held prisoner by Iratu and Co.To be used in a sacrificial ritual for bringing more demons into medius.
- Category Traitor: Accuses Kieri of this for her friendship with Buwaro.
- Fantastic Racism: He hates all demons because the rest of his clan was slaughtered by demons during the war.
- Humiliation Conga: He gets roasted by Cliff, has his town of residence get razed by Iratu and co., and has since been kidnapped and brutalized by them ever since.
- Shock and Awe: He's not afraid to use it on other angels, either.
- Would Harm A Child
- Knight Templar
Kieri and Kazai's parentsTwo water aligned angels who are the mother and father of Kieri and Kazai.
- Abusive Parents: Their mother to Kieri, physically and emotionally. We don't know how she treats Kazai...yet.
- An Arm and a Leg: Their father's right arm had to be amputated after a fire demon's breath attack when the twins were only small children.
- Apologizes a Lot: Their mother apologized every time she physically assaulted Kieri, saying she didn't mean to...and goes right back to hitting her later on, which is sadly Truth in Television when it comes to Abusive Parents such as her.
- Dual Wielding: Their mother wields two swords in combat, as seen here.◊
- The Faceless: Their whole faces haven't been shown so far, except for in a seasonal wallpaper◊ the artist created, and even then, just barely.
- Fantastic Racism: It's implied that their mother hates demons even MORE than Denevol does. And looking back and seeing what he did to Buwaro as soon as he laid eyes on him...
- Handicapped Badass: As mentioned above, their father lost his arm to severe burns from a fire demon's breath. Did that diminish his strength in the slightest, or force him to quit his duties as a Seraph? Hell no.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Mrs. Suizahn, towards Kieri. Just when you think she's being sincerely nice/regretful to Kieri, she dives straight back into her abusive nature seconds later.
- Never Had A Birthday Party: For their kids. Their idea of a birthday "celebration"? For them to be thankful they're alive for another year.
- Nice Guy: Unlike his wife, Mr. Suizahn is very friendly and compassionate, especially towards Kieri.
- No Name Given: So far, the first name of the mother hasn't been revealed. However the father's first name (Valak) was revealed in a live stream.
- Parental Favoritism: Not an extreme example, but Kazai seems to be favored among them, especially their mother.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Mrs. Suizahn, Mrs. Suizahn, Mrs. Suizahn.
- Training from Hell: Kieri's mother made her practice with a bow and arrow ALL DAY, until her fingers bled, with no breaks. When she was around 5 years old.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: A parental example with their mother, towards Kieri. She trained her in combat since she was a little girl, because she wants her to uphold the Suizahn warrior family legacy. Her abusive nature comes off as being "strict", because she claims to be concerned for Kieri's well-being. But whatever made her the way she is, it's clear that she is mentally unfit to be a parent.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: Mrs. Suizahn always placed her physically abusive nature on the fault of her daughter Kieri.
Zahariah SanjuloKazai's friend & partner. He's been traveling with Kazai off-panel while the protagonists were looking for the latter.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: After getting his horn chopped off, Azurai slashes Sanjulo's throat with his claws, resulting in a shockingly bloody death that seriously makes one wonder how this comic's rating wasn't bumped from PG-13 to R.
- Fantastic Racism: He seems to be similarly biased against Demons as Kazai is. His viewpoint on Medians has yet to be established.
- Killed Off for Real: Had his neck slashed by Azurai.
- Knife Nut: Wields two knives, each with a large blade and two smaller ones.
- Playing with Fire: He's a fire-aligned angel.
- Red Shirt: Gets little to no characterization before he's killed by Azurai. Fittingly, he's wearing red fire angel attire.
- Straight Gay: As with Kazai, there's nothing that gives it away until they start flirting, and Kazai admits it later.
VerammiA seraph, currently in St. Curtis for unknown reasons. She's also apparently Kazai's and Sanjulo's superior. As it turns out, she's allied with Iratu.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: She gets smashed after only one pint of alcohol.
- Dishing Out Dirt: She appears to be an angel of earth affinity. She uses an earth-elemental spell to imprison Kazai in stone.
- Drop the Hammer: Wields a large holy magic infused warhammer in battle.
- Evil All Along: She's actually allied with Iratu and the demons invading St. Curtis, and is helping with the angel kidnapping operation. She believes the forces of hell to be the "winning side" of the ongoing conflict between hell and heaven.
- FaceHeel Turn: Joined the forces of hell so she wouldn't have to follow heaven's rigid laws anymore.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a pronounced one that runs across the bridge of her nose and under both eyes, but she's respected and looked up to by her angelic subordinates as a heroic figure. Too bad she's really on the demons' side.
- Psychopathic Womanchild: Her reason for leaving Heaven and joining Hell is pretty much similar to that of a rebellious teenager who runs away from home because she doesn't want to live by her parents' rules or do what they say, and wants to hang out with her "cool" friends.
- Shipper on Deck: Of all people, she seems to approve of Buwaro and Kieri's relationship. This is actually an indication that she thinks Kieri is also in on the demons' operations in the city.
Kinako TamisA good-natured angel mother traveling with her son Tirol and two demons whom their revealed to be a family and is surprisingly supportive of Buwaro and Kieri's relationship. She is later captured by demons to used as a sacrifice.
- Bilingual Bonus: Named after Japanese soy bean powder.
- Cultural Rebel: She thinks poorly of heaven's warrior culture and rigid laws, she even buys a dress despite the fact angels have a strict dress code.
- Fantastic Racism: More like fantastic classism but she dislikes warrior angels thinking them belligerent ruffians (though considering nearly every warrior angel we've seen was a racist violent Knight Templar, she's kinda right) and has difficulty believing someone as soft-spoken and kind as Kieri to be one.
- Polyamory: Has such a relationship with Sahne and Lakritz.
Tirol TamisA young angel child who is the son of Kinako and step-son of Lakritz and Shane
- Cheerful Child: He usually has a smile on his face.
- Cute Mute: He doesn't talk but he's quite adorable.
- Disappeared Dad: We have no idea who his biological father is, but he is quite happy with the father he has in Lakritz.
- Happily Adopted: Adores Sahne and Lakritz.
- Love at First Sight: A platonic example. Kinako mentions that he's usually afraid of unfamiliar demons but he takes an immediate liking to Buwaro, such as wanting to get a puppet of him and he even hits Kazai with a book to defend Buwaro.
- The Voiceless: He has a hard time talking so he communicates with sign language.
- Airborne Mooks: Wind demons can fly and can use wind and lighting.
- Always Chaotic Evil: Averted, they are widely believed to be monstrous creatures (and many don't do much to dispel the stereotype) but are all capable of love and compassion and some defect from hell.
- Aquatic Mook: Water demons are semiaquatic and can use water and ice magic.
- Barefoot Loon: All of them are barefoot, and almost all of them are sadistic, bloodthirsty killing machines.
- Dark Magic: They have powerful combat related spells of this kind and it's also completely unique to them.
- Giant Mook: Earth demons are the largest and most physically powerful of the breeds but can only use a single basic earth spell.
- Hot Skitty-on-Wailord Action: Relationships between demons of different elements seem to be fairly commonplace in spite of the considerable physical differences and according to Word of God, children of these pairings usually end up inheriting the father's elemental affinity but will sometimes take after the mother in that regard.
- Innate Night Vision: They can see in total darkness when their eyes glow.
- Irony: Water demons have a preference for the cold and ice magic despite the fact most of them resemble amphibians and reptiles, creatures not exactly known for their love of lower temperatures.
- Magically Inept Fighter: Earth demons can only use a single basic earth spell (however their brute strength means that spell has devastating power) but are the strongest type of demon.
- Magic Knight: Aside from those of the earth element, demons can readily rely on magic and physical prowess in a fight. The water and fire demons in particular have more of a balance of the two, with fire demons having more of a physical edge and water demons having a magical one.
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: Overlaps with Combat Pragmatist: Most demons are sadists that enjoy prolonging a fight for as long as they can, but when they're sufficiently pissed off, they'll stop screwing around and try to kill their opponent(s) outright, as we've seen with Haury, Azurai, and Lazuli.
- The Nose Knows: Like jakkai they have a powerful sense of smell and even an inexperienced demon like Buwaro can easily pick out Kazai in a large crowd simply due to his blood relation to Kieri.
- No-Sell: Fire Demons are immune to heat and fire.
- One-Winged Angel: They possess the ability to turn into a more monstrous form with greater strength and magic but at the expense of their minds and their lives.
- Order vs. Chaos: The chaos side of the equation, they all look different from each other and live often live short, brutal lives but can live however they want.
- Our Demons Are Different: They look like various kinds of animals humanoid mammals, reptiles, birds, amphibians and even fish and can use Dark Magic.
- Prefers Raw Meat: According to Word of God, they really like to eat meat and are even willing the eat it raw, such as when Lazuli murders a butcher.
- Squishy Wizard: Wind demons have the highest magical ability of their kind but are less physically robust, however, given what we see from Sakido, Tsavo and Huary this is only when comparing them to the other demon breeds.
- Super Strength: They are all very physically strong and even the wind demons (who are the physically weakest of the four breeds) can out fight humans.
- Super Toughness: Even weak demons can take immense punishment with minimal injury.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Word of God says that in general demons really like eating meat and are even willing to eat it raw.
SakidoBuwaro's older "sister", she's a wind demon with a penchant for bad poetry. Killed in the process of flying Buwaro and Rhea out of Hell.
- The Atoner: In spades towards Buwaro, for abandoning him when he was little.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: She normally doesn't even have a tail unlike most demons but when she goes berserk to save Rhea and Buwaro, she grows a long skeletal tail with a spear-like tip that she uses to impale an unfortunate water demon with.
- Black Eyes of Evil: When she goes berserk her eyes turn pitch black, which when paired with her now exposed teeth and nostrils gives her head a skull appearance. However when she grabs Buwaro's star pendant in an attempt to kill him, it restores some of her sanity which is shown by the blue returning to her eyes.
- Call to Agriculture: Spends a good part of her time raising bonsai trees.
- "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner: "I see. So it really did turn out this way. So be it."
- Famed In-Story: She became one of hell's strongest wind warriors and just uttering her name is enough to get the attention of several demons even to the point where Dakos a grouchy veteran demon who dislikes the younger generations way of doing things calls her "one of our best warriors".
- Giftedly Bad: Her poetry.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Does so to ensure that Buwaro and Rhea reach Medius.
- Killed Off for Real
- Missing Mom: Like Buwaro's parents, she was killed in the war.
- Sacrificial Lion: Word of God even states that the readers were supposed to get attached to her, only for her to die as soon as she, Rhea, and Buwaro have Earned Their Happy Ending.
- Trauma Button: The sight of Buwaro's berserk form brought back traumatic memories of when he scarred Darius's face and blinded his eye.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Has a number of elements of this, which is part of why she lives in the Ring of the Slightly Damned.
- Shock and Awe: Her main powers.
IratuBuwaro's "big brother", a gigantic earth demon who loves to drink.
- Alcohol Hic: He's even the page image!
- Benevolent Boss: As much of a terrible person as he is, he treats his men, including his Co-Dragons Azurai and Tsavo, with genuine care and respect. He's similar to Arlong in the sense that his care for his subordinates is one of his very few redeeming traits, and is an utter asshat towards everyone else.
- Berserk Button: Buwaro bringing up Darius to him is enough to make him decide to kill him outright.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: His tail is a cross between this and a Sinister Scythe.
- Interestingly it seems to change to an arrow head shape without the effects of Darius's moon pendant.
- Big Brother Bully: When he meets back up with Buwaro in the Coiled Cobra Bar he doesn't acknowledge him as his brother and repeatedly insults and demeans him.
- Totally averted in Hell, where he's being more careless than spiteful. Then Word of God reveals he never loved Buwaro in the first place...
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite obviously being very strong physically, it was implied he was normally too drunk and happy-go-lucky to be a major threat. Fast forward to The Reveal that he and his cohorts have slaughtered an entire village without any trouble...
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Buwaro's Abel.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Implied when he is unusually somber, in comparison to his normal happy drunkeness, after he and Buwaro part again. Azurai even asks if he's OK.
- Famed In-Story: Not to the extent Sakido was, but he is shown to be a very prominent figure in Hell's ranks just from how other demons react to bringing him up. He is also implied to be one of, if not the, heads of the angel-snatching operation in St. Curtis, meaning he has a high position in Hell's army.
- I Should Have Done This Years Ago: What he says when he tries to kill Buwaro.
- Jerkass: Very much so, though not towards his subordinates. His little brother Buwaro receives most of his scorn. When Rhea and Buwaro meet him again in a ravaged St. Curtis, we get this lovely gem:Iratu: Buwaro, what are you and your pet doing in Medius?Azurai: Wait, you know these guys?Iratu: *completely aware they're within earshot* I've met 'em before, yeah. They're just a couple of losers from the Ring of the Slightly Damned.Buwaro: *thinking* He didn't mention that we're brothers...Rhea: *thinking, angrily* PET!?
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The "heart of gold" part only applies to his fellow demon soldiers. He's a genuine prick to everyone else.
- Large and in Charge: Physically the biggest character in the series, and he holds the rank of general among the forces of the villains.
- Later outdone by Sahne. It also doesn't help that he's actually implied to be the smallest Earth demon in Hell, due to his parents being unable to raise him, he just wears a special amulet that lets him grow in size.
- Large Runt: Without his moon pendant he is hell's smallest earth demon, even then he is still larger than the human-sized Azurai.
- MissingMom/DisappearedDad: Like Buwaro and Sakido, his parents are MIA. Unlike Buwaro and Sakido, his parents are never officially identified as "dead."
- Not So Different: To Kazai, he shrugs off the killing of Medians as sending the good ones to Heaven and the bad ones to Hell, the same reasoning Kazai uses to not bother saving them. He also thinks of his race as in the right and will almost mindlessly obey what he thinks is his God's wishes.
- Sentimental Drunk: When he's plastered off his ass, he's as chummy and carefree as can be. When he's sober... oh, it's a different story altogether.
- Sizeshifter: Can do this if he takes off his pendant, shrinking down to about six feet tall.
- He also seems to undergo mild Shapeshifting at the same time, the most obvious difference is his tail scythe changing back to its original spearhead shape and his features become shorter, rounder and overall more puppy-like.
- Straight Gay: Word of Gay is that he and Azurai are boyfriends.
- Unstoppable Rage: What happens when you try to wake him while he's sleeping off his drink.
LazuliA water demon who, along with her partner Talus, captured and tormented Kieri for a time. Despite that, she is determined to kill Kieri in revenge for her killing Talus.
- Arch-Enemy: She and Kieri become this with each other after the events of River Side Stories. Hell, to say she hates Kieri's guts would be a MASSIVE understatement.
- Arc Villain: She's the overall main villain for the first five books.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: In her berserk state she gains a MASSIVE size boost.
- Avenging the Villain: Her current goal. Even to the point to where she'll disobey the orders given to her by trying to kill Kieri.
- Ax-Crazy: Becomes this after her first battle against Kieri, if she wasn't before. On her way to St. Curtis, she murders an innocent person for his water and laughs. She presumably slaughters more humans along the way.
- Blood from the Mouth: Blood sprays from her mouth when she is fatally stabbed by Kieri's sword.
- Breath Weapon: When berserk she shoots a barrage of icicles and powerful blast of dark magic from her jaws, probably because she has to walk on all fours in that state.
- The Bus Came Back: Lazuli returns during the attack on St. Curtis. Too bad Kieri isn't with them to help fight her...
- Combat Pragmatist: While she's only shown fighting once in her introduction she fights very hard in St. Curtis.
- Climax Boss: While Iratu and Moonshade are definitely the larger threats, she was the one that pushed the trio to their limits and serves as the first overarching villain.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite her cruel nature, she was extremely distraught when Kieri killed her partner.
- Evil Counterpart: Acts as a demonic one of Kieri.
- Extreme Mêlée Revenge: Is on the receiving end of one of these by a semi-berserk Buwaro who sinks his massive saberfangs into her shoulder, thrashes her in the air and then throws her off the speeding wagon with enough force for there to be a Sickening "Crunch!"
- Famous Last Words: "You've gotta be kidding me..." While she doesn't die immediately after saying that, they are the last coherent words she says before going berserk.
- Green-Eyed Monster: This page seems to suggest that she is actually jealous that the angels are admired by the medians despite being Not So Different from the demons.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Freaking AZURAI is more rational in comparison. That. Is. ALL.
- How Much More Can He Take?: "Ridiculous" doesn't even begin to describe the sheer amount of punishment she can take, especially in her berserk form. Just imagine how much of a fucking nightmare Iratu is gonna be to face...
- An Ice Person: Her main power.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How Kieri kills her.
- Killed Off for Real: After going berserk, she finally dies on page 832.
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: When she encounters the protagonists a second time in St. Curtis, she wastes absolutely no time with small talk, doesn't prolong the fight, and tries to kill them as swiftly as possible, and she comes damn close to doing so. Only Azurai prevents her from finishing them off.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: She destroys Thadius, injures and later disables Rhea, almost kills Buwaro twice, and nearly succeeds in killing Kieri before Azurai, of all people, steps in to stop her.
- Then, after being thrashed by berserk Buwaro, she goes berserk herself and easily kills a demon.
- One-Winged Angel: Goes berserk after being on the receiving end of a brutal beatdown by an artificially-berserk Buwaro, possibly due to the presence of the same potion that triggered his transformation.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: On the receiving end of a brutal one by the main trio. First getting mauled by a berserk, potion-charged Buwaro, then impaled by Rhea's equally overcharged terra spike, and finally dies when she gets stabbed by a now raging Kieri.
- Revenge Before Reason: Is willing to disobey direct orders so she can kill Kieri, obviously uncaring of the trouble she could get in, regardless of how severe it is.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Her main motivation after losing Kieri in Snow Angels.
- Sanity Slippage: Her violent nature and disregard for peoples' lives skyrocketed after getting beaten by Kieri and losing Talus.
- Scars Are Forever: She has a large black scar on her side where Kieri's holy sword slashed her. Its where Kieri fatally stabs her.
- Spikes of Villainy: Her berserk form has six huge icicles on her back.
- Taking You with Me: Attempts to drown Kieri with her at the end of their first fight. She even says the trope name verbatim as she does so.
TalusAn earth demon who had captured Kieri along with Lazuli. He's killed shortly after encountering Rhea and Buwaro.
- An Axe to Grind: He wields a massive battle axe in combat, interestingly he's the only demon (not counting art commissions) that uses a handheld weapon as opposed to the magic and Natural Weapon used by every other demon.
- The Brute: Is not particularly smart (though maybe not to Dumb Muscle levels) and likes to kill (asking Lazuli if he could crush Kieri and later Buwaro with his bare hands and is thrilled when given permission to kill both Buwaro and Rhea).
- A Load of Bull: He definitely evokes a minotaur-like image.
- Super Drowning Skills: How he dies.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: His death is so downplayed that Soprano of Time even lampshades it.Talus' Ghost: [crying] Nobody cares that I'm dead! I've been forgotten! I'm just— [is immediately shot in the throat by Kieri]
Buwaro's ParentsA pair of fire demons who died protecting their unborn son Buwaro.
- Ambiguously Evil: While they clearly loved their son and each other, if this Q&A is any indication of their canon personalities as well as the fact that Papawaro was willing to kill young Sakido and Iratu, they might have been just as brutal as the other demons.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Their reaction to their son Buwaro dating Kieri is to express how proud they are of their son for corrupting angels and making them defect from Heaven.
- Fantastic Racism: Papawaro was at first completely unwilling to allow Buwaro to be raised by Darius and even tried to attack him however given that angels had killed his wife, fatally injured him and damaged his egg his hostility is understandable.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Papawaro had a rare variation of this were instead of three fingers and a thumb, he had four fingers (or rather massive claws) and no thumb.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Mamawaro was killed by a holy arrow through the chest.
- Last Request: Papawaro asks to be buried with his wife.
- No Name Given: They haven't been given canon names so Chu calls them Mamawaro and Papawaro.
- Papa Wolf: Even when in pain and dying from his injuries Papawaro still was willing to attack Darius (who at that point had all three pendants) to protect Buwaro.
- Posthumous Character: They are long dead by the start of the story and Mamawaro was already dead when we see her in the flashback.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Papawaro had these and was quite vicious in protecting his egg.
TsavoA wind demon who is currently serving as Iratu's subordinate.
- Affably Evil: He is unfailingly polite, even when discussing topics such as murder and torture.
- The Comically Serious: Just like Sakido, he certainly has his moments.
- The Dragon: All puns aside, he seems to be this for Iratu, giving orders to other demons when Iratu is either drunk or not present.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Sort of. He was mentioned by Azurai over 300 pages and 5 years before his first actual appearance.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He isn't very fond of the demonic education method.
- Hidden Depths: Despite his frustration with Azurai's antics he prevents him from possibly blowing himself up by taking his wine away.note
- He also knew Sakido personally and angrily accuses Buwaro of lying about her death, blames him for it and tries to kill him for it.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: His physical appearance is definitely draconic, but his character description on the site clarifies that he's not really a dragon, just a demon who looks like one.
- Missing Mom: Like Sakido, Iratu and Buwaro he lost his parents in the great war.
- Not So Above It All: As much as he is a counterpart to Azurai with his reserved demeanor, Tsavo is himself still prone to occasional outbursts of anger and profanity. Usually when one of his cohorts does something stupid.
- A much darker example occurs during The Gathering, when he learns of Sakido's death from Buwaro he becomes as equally belligerent and violent as Azurai when his horn was cut and tries to kill Buwaro with a lighting bolt.
- Pragmatic Villainy: A recurring gag in the series is have Tsavo critizing Azurai for his Stupid Evil tendency of killing humans for giggles, in disregard of their potential usefulness.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Azurai's Red.
- Ride the Lightning: He is capable of appearing in a flash of green lightning.
- Shock and Awe: We first see him use it to torment Azurai. Later he shows he's very proficient with it in actual combat when he easily trounces Kieri, Kazai and Sanjulo.
- Undying Loyalty: He is loyal to Iratu because he (alongside Sakido) was the only other war orphans who treated him kindly and didn't beat him up because of his weakness.
AzuraiA volatile fire demon. He was first seen in charge of punishing damned mortals in hell, but is currently serving under Iratu alongside Tsavo.
- Ax-Crazy: Big time. But it's shown that even he has his limits.
- Berserk Button: His horns, apparently. And murderously so, too, seeing how he kills Sanjulo in a fit of rage after Kazai chops off a portion of one.
- The Brute: He's the strongest physical fighter in Iratu's army, but he doesn't possess a single strategic thought in his head.
- Butt-Monkey: Plays this role among the villains, getting beat up frequently by Tsavo and Iratu.
- Dumb Muscle: Buwaro (post-Character Development) is Einstein compared to him.
- HeelFace Turn: Rather than letting Lazuli kill Kieri and her friends, he destroys her icicle and tells her not to kill the angels.
- Subverted. While he does save Kieri, he only does so to further the mission and avoid Iratu's anger.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Azurai doesn't look too keen on the idea that Mr. Moonshade could kill his own daughter, Rhea. Much less try to kill her again.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Implied; he doesn't get along with Lazuli, the artist states he and Triska would either get along with or hate each other, he viciously attacks Kieri during their fight, and calls her a bitch when he takes her prisoner.
- Hidden Depths: Word of God says he's surprisingly loyal and he shows concern for Iratu after Darius is brought up.
- Hot-Blooded: Loves to kill people because he's evil and he can, and tends to get ahead of the others' plans.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Somewhat of an evil example; he's violent, impulsive, insults his teammates, and is implied to be misogynistic, but he's genuinely loyal and caring towards his commanding officer/boyfriend, Iratu, and prevents other demons, like Lazuli from killing any angels. And when given the opportunity to kill Buwaro and his friends, he declines, saying the last time he "killed a kid" (presumably Sanjulo), he regretted it.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Tsavo's Blue.
- Sadist Teacher: He once taught a "killology" class and ended up killing one of his students.
- Secret Keeper: Seems to be one of the few demons aware that Iratu was raised by Darius.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: So, so much. Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is either a Precision F-Strike or Cluster F-Bomb.
- Straight Gay: With Iratu, per Word of Gay.
SahneA large boar demon, she's met during the flower festival and is friends with the demon Lakritz and the angel Kinako. Though she was one of the demons who was involved with the demon invasion of St. Curtis.
- Acrofatic: She's visibly overweight, and yet is considered healthy enough to go to Fragaria.
- Affably Evil: If she's anything like Lakritz and was trying to help spare angels, especially since it's implied she stays with Kinako and Tirol, along with Lakritz.
- Her moral standing is still ambiguous, but it's been confirmed that she and Lakritz were in fact trying to save Kinako, even opposing other demons in the process. They failed.
- Affectionate Nickname: Runt for Buwaro. Notably she's the only demon to use it this way, every other demon uses that word in a different context.
- Animal Stereotypes: Averted, Sahne is not only a female boar but is also fairly docile.
- Beastess: She's a boar woman who absolutely towers over the main cast. As is expected, since she's an Earth demon.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's one of the nicer demons thus far but she's still a demon. Case in point when the gang stumble upon her after Kinako is taken and Lakritz is wounded, her only injury is a claw mark on her arm while her own claws where covered in blood.
- Edible Theme Naming: Doubles as a Bilingual Bonus, as she's named after the German word for Cream.
- Full-Boar Action: She has a tusk that always protrudes out the side of her mouth.
- Gentle Giant: As opposed to most other earth demons we've seen, she is a friendly individual who cares for her family.
- Love Triangle: With both Kinako and Lakritz. Type 8.
- Official Couple: With both Kinako and Lakritz, at the same time.
- Stout Strength: She's fat enough it shows, but she's also an Earth demon. In case you don't know how strong Earth demons are...
LakritzAnother, lizard-like demon encountered in St. Curtis, who's acquainted with Sahne and Kinako. He's involved in the demons' attack on the city, but it's currently unknown how.
- Affably Evil: Even though he tries to capture Kinako and was involved with the demon attacks it can be inferred that he was trying to save her. Especially since it's implied he lived with Kinako and Tirol.
- It's now confirmed that he and Sahne were trying to save her, and even got attacked by other demons for their trouble. She's captured anyway, and Lakritz is very nearly killed.
- The Cassandra: Though he doesn't outright say it, much of his dialogue is him trying to discreetly warn people about the imminent demon invasion in the city, and angels being abducted. His warnings are too vague for many of the people he tells, and it's not yet clear if it would've been worthwhile if they had believed him...
- Edible Theme Naming: Doubles as a Bilingual Bonus, as he's named after the German word for Licorice.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Has several rings in one of his ears.
- Love Triangle: With both Sahne and Kinako. Interestingly, all three are together.
- Official Couple: With both Sahne and Kinako at the same time.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Type one. He has a trident (which he refers to as his "trusty trident") as is befitting a water being and this also makes him one of the few demons to carry a weapon.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted, He's one of the the few genuinely good demons met so far.
Haury,Triska and AbysetA wind, fire and water demon respectively, taking part in the siege of St. Curtis and tasked by Tsavo to acquire the Rainbow Reverie.
- Alluring Anglerfish: Abyset has a glowing lure on his forehead but since demons don't hunt food and can see in complete darkness, it's likely cosmetic in nature.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Abyset has a barb-like spike on the underside of his tail fin which he attempts to use to injure Rhea.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Abyset can create a spout of water on his hand capable of slicing stone.
- Breath Weapon: Triska spews fire during her fight with Miranda.
- Designated Girl Fight: Between Triska and Miranda.
- Dirty Coward: Abyset, possibly. Rather than stay and battle Cliff and Miranda (the latter who had just laid him out with one punch) with the rest of his group, he decides to go after Rhea, Sammy, and her baby cousin Flo instead, knowing they would put up much less of a fight.
- Feather Flechettes: Haury uses a magical variation, charging the feathers on his wings with wind energy and firing said energy at Cliff.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Abyset is ran through on Kieri's sword, might not have been enough to kill him though.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: A variation with Haury, wind demons are generally the most intelligent type of demons and typically have a serious demeanor but he is shown to be rather dim and immature (laughing at Tsavo's unintentional rhyme, and unable to remember the correct name for the rainbow reverie.)
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Despite their scatterbrained behaviour, they are aggressive and cruel fighters and had no intention to spare the Sinclair family once they had what they came for.
- Not Quite Dead: Even though Haury and Triska were crushed by the family wagon(with Triska possibly having her spine broken by Miranda) and Abyset getting skewered by Kieri their body's are nowhere to be found,only bloody footprints.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Haury and Triska have these while Abyset has Icy Blue Eyes.
- Wicked Weasel: Triska certainly has the looks and personality.
- Would Hurt a Child: They planed to kill the Sinclair family including Sammy and Florina, a 12 year old and newborn respectively.
- Wolverine Claws: Triska can extend long sharp claws from her fingertips note that can withstand the blade of a cutlass.
HakkaA female wind demon collecting angels for the Gathering who is in a relationship with a fire demon named Nikkei.
- Ascended Extra: She and Nikkei first appeared in a demon height chart, and Chu has expressed interest in adding the other two demons as well.
- Blow You Away: When Buwaro and Rhea inadvertently stop her from catching an angel, She angrily blasts them away with a mini-cyclone.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She is very close to her girlfriend Nikkei learning to speak sign language, acting as her interpreter and passionately making out with her.
- Eyepatch of Power: Has only one eye but can beat an experienced angel warrior in one-on-one combat and (along with Nikkei) fight a seraph for a day on end until they all collapsed from exhaustion.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Her feelings to Azurai and Lazuli's bickering.
- Worthy Opponent: They respect Verammi for being able to fight them off enough to let her join them.
NikkeiA deaf fire demon who is Hakka's girlfriend.
- Ascended Extra: Like Hakka she started in a height chart before being added to the comic proper.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She may take amusement in tormenting and humiliating captives but is quite close to Hakka.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Like most fire demons she has a rotten temper as a bottle accidentally hitting her in the head is enough to put her on the warpath.
- Handicapped Badass: She's deaf and speaks in sign language but is qualified enough to be apart of hell's army and can fight an angel seraph with the help of her girlfriend.
- Kick the Dog:Her first comic appearance has her throw a dart at one of the angels they have captive and shortly after reveal Kinako's relationship with Sahne and Lakritz causing the demons to laugh at them and the angels to stare angrily at them.
- Playing with Fire: She is a fire demon after all.
- The Silent Bob: Pretty much a given, since she's deaf and speaks mostly in sign language.
- Smelly Skunk: She resembles a red and yellow bipedal skunk (especially with her long bushy tail), but being a fire demon it's her front end you gotta worry about.
DakosA dragon-like fire demon originally partnered with Talus and Lazuli before he was forced to retreat with Sanjulo and Kazai in pursuit. He finally appeared in the comic proper during the St.Curtis arc.
- Asshole Victim: His death at Berserk Lazuli's hands is not meant to be mourned. Hell, the artist made his death somewhat funny.
- Badass Grandpa: Older than most demons around him and due to their usual disposition most demons are killed by another one before they get old, so he would have to be pretty badass just to still be alive.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Early-Bird Cameo: First appeared as a silhouette in Kieri's flashback nine years earlier.
- Fantastic Racism: Typical for a demon he hates Angels, however he seemed to take it further than his cohorts as he glares at Verammi while the other demons at least tolerant her and becomes visibly angry when Buwaro fails to justify his relationship with Kieri.
- Hypocrite: He forbids Lazuli from killing Kieri but after he is kicked off the wagon and has his horn broken he tries to kill the remaining angels in a rage and when Cyran tries to talk him down, he attacks them.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Meets his end from berserk Lazuli skewering him through the neck and chest with giant icicles.
- Irony: He is an ableist and views demons that have disabilities with distain but he also thinks Sakido was one of hell's best warriors but as the readers know Sakido herself had crippled wings that were only remedied by the sun pendant she wore under her coat.
- I Work Alone: He dislikes working in teams (despite being the leader of his) and views it as unnatural for demons to work in groups.
- Jerkass: And that's putting it lightly.
- Kick the Dog: Gets an absolutely brutal one by emotionally tormenting and taunting a helpless angel mother by saying he'll release her son if she can sing, knowing the magic braces she's wearing keep her from talking.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Is the most Politically Incorrect Villain out of all of the characters, tortured a helpless angel by threatening to mutilate her son if she doesn't sing for him, knowing she can't, and meets his end at the hands of Lazuli just after slicing up one of his own teammates.
- Knight of Cerebus: Dakos is an outright nasty piece of work, even for a demon. Absolutely NONE of his actions are played for laughs, and he lacks the humorous quirks and camaraderie the rest of Iratu's army has. He easily makes Azurai, the worst of the demons up to that point, look like a saint in comparison.
- Lack of Empathy: Even more so than other demons, he terrorizes an angel child in front of his helpless family for laughs, blames Talus's death on Lazuli for not following his orders and lacks the camaraderie the other demons show to each other.
- Old Soldier: An evil variant because even though he doesn't look it note he has fought in the great war and is referred to as "old timer".
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He calls the younger demons a "generation of cripples". One reader complained about the use of the word "cripple", due to it being a slur in some places, and the author explained that offensiveness was intentional.
- He also calls Iratu an "invalid" due to his stunted growth.
- No Name Given: He has yet to be named in the comic though it can be found in the Slightly Damned tumblr page.
- He's eventually named on page 789.
- The Starscream: Offhandedly mentions to Lazuli that he should be General, if he only had Iratu's Moon Pendant. Lazuli tells him to not even consider it, because Tsavo and Azurai are actually loyal to Iratu, and would tear Dakos to shreds he tried to take it.
- Tail Slap: Uses his tail to slam the unconscious Buwaro into a wall.
- When I Was Your Age...: He dislikes Iratu's use of tactical thinking and prefers the old fashioned demonic way of doing things as well as referring to the younger demons as a "generation of cripples".
CyranA raven-like wind demon who ends up joining the survivors.
- Ambiguous Gender: Word of God states that Cyran is non-binary and they are referred to with gender neutral pronouns.
- Creepy Crows: Averted. Despite resembling a large humanoid crow with a serrated beak they are actually one of the least cruel demons.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: They mock Buwaro's attempts to reconcile with Kieri as futile and is generally antagonistic to him but they were willing to stand up to an enraged Dakos and even tried to protect the angels from the berserk Buwaro (unaware he had no intention to harm them). Earlier it's also implied they found Dakos terrorizing the angel family to be distasteful.
- Ship Tease: With a currently unnamed female wind angel they are frequently seen with.
- Shock and Awe: As with all wind demons.
- Magically Inept Fighter: Are much stronger than humans but they are only capable of learning one (sometimes two) magical spells.
- No Blood Ties: They lay their eggs in communal nurseries and none are raised not knowing who their biological parents are and vice versa.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: They are only half the height of humans but are much physically stronger and faster than them.
- Prehensile Tail: They have long tails that can both grab things and even support their bodyweight.
- Running on All Fours: They can go on all fours when they need to run quickly.
Ramirez BloodeyesRhea's best friend, who was there when she died. Hasn't appeared outside of flashbacks.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Has only appeared in flashbacks so far, and even then, there's been little to no talk of him since.
- Meaningful Name: Refers to his red eyes.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A subversion, as he was supposedly good-natured.
MoonshadeA Jakkai of unknown origin who seems to be working with the villains. Not much else is known about him. Its been revealed that he seeks to murder the Guardians and steal their powers, as well as to find an artifact he simply calls "The Egg".
- Ax-Crazy: An utter, murderous psychopath on par with Azurai, and unlike him, Moonshade isn't even a demon. Although, even some of his demon teammates, such as the formerly-mentioned Azurai, find him to be distasteful, which is definitely saying something.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Like Rhea, he can use the Earth Spike spell.
- Evil Laugh: Tends to indulge in this.
- Faux Affably Evil: Acts polite and soft-spoken at times, but don't be fooled - the dude's fucking EVIL.
- Genocide from the Inside: He is a descendant of the Guardian Moku who has killed both Moku and all of his other descendants.
- Last of His Kind: Thinks he is the last of his bloodline. Of course, he doesn't know that Rhea, who is his daughter, is no longer dead and has returned to Medius. Now he does!
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He is Rhea's father.
- Meaningful Name: Refers to the twin moons of Medius, which happen to be the same color as his eyes.
- Offing the Offspring: He is the one responsible for arranging Rhea's murder, and is her father.
- The Quisling: He is a median yet he is helping the forces of hell with conquering Medius by killing any objecting guardians, his reasons for doing so have yet to be revealed though.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Normally, Moonshade isn't a reptile, but he can transform into a giant cobra. And he's an absolutely vile individual.
- Self-Made Orphan: Rhea is identified as Moku's granddaughter meaning that Moku (whom he murdered for power) was his father.
- Slasher Smile: If this takes the cake, this is the ICING.
- The Sociopath: Let's see. Skilled emotional manipulation? Check. Utterly ruthless? Check. Willing to go to any lengths to achieve his goals? Check. Lack of Empathy? Considering that he's willing to murder his own daughter?? CHECK. The wiki even flat-out calls him a psychopath.
- Sssssnake Talk: Does it from time to time. Seeing as he can transform into a giant snake, it makes slightly more sense.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can take the shape of the Guardian Moku the Snake, which is implied to be due to killing him.
GaiaOne of the three great gods, matron of the angels and embodiment of good. Revealed to have been missing for several years.
- Big Good: How the inhabitants of Medius mostly perceive her.
- Light Is Good: She wears white clothes and has rainbow colored wings and is revered by medians and angels as a benevolent deity.
SyndelThe second of the three great gods, creator of the demons and embodiment of evil. Also missing.
- Dark Is Evil: He is purple with black markings and a skull-like face, he also started the great war because he was never given worship by the medians.
- Driven by Envy: Was definitely not happy to find out that Gaia got most of the credit for creating Medius. This led to the Great War.
- God of Chaos: Sometimes referred to as the god of chaos.
DeathThe guide of souls to the afterlife, he's the only one of the three great gods who has appeared so far.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Despite his dark dragon-like appearance, he's fairly friendly, so this seems to be in effect. Of course, that's because it's not really Death...
- Have You Seen My God?: He's one of the three great gods, while the other two have gone missing. He went looking for the other two and promptly disappeared as well.
- Promoted to Parent: He's essentially Buwaro's caretaker at the beginning of the comic, or the closest thing to one that Buwaro has, other than Sakido. Doubly so because he actually is Buwaro's adoptive father in disguise.
CerberusA servant of Death, this fearsome dog guards the gates to Hell. Despite traditionally being three-headed, it apparently is missing the middle head currently. Later revealed the the middle head, known as "Blue", is part of Darius's disguise as Death.
- Body Horror: Has a massive partially stitched gapping wound where his middle head used to be.
- Dog Stereotype: Each of his three heads embody a different canine archetype: his left head is very bulldog-like and is Dumb Muscle, the right head somewhat resembles a Doberman or Rottweiler and is very intelligent but can be vicious when required, and his former middle head has a more beagle appearance(with a wide muzzle and big floppy ears)and is the nicest and most emotional.
- Gate Guardian: Much like his mythological namesake who guarded the gates of the underworld, he guards the gates of hell and prevents unintended entry.
- It's Personal: His left and right heads are implied to be holding a grudge against Darius for getting his other head sliced off.
- Multiple Head Case: Each head has a distinct personality. The red one is mostly silent and the Straight Man, while the green head seems to be more Hot-Blooded. The blue head is friendly yet somewhat naive.
DrazilA servant of Death and counterpart to Cerberus, this large angel-like warrior guards heaven's gates, he has yet to appear in person though.
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: He wears a headband and is a demigod who protects heaven.
- BFS: The stained glass windows in the temple indicates that he wields a large, wide sword.
- Gate Guardian: Just like his "brother" Cerberus, only he protects the gate of heaven instead.
The Twelve Guardians In General
- All-Powerful Bystander: Most of the guardians chose to remain neutral during the great war because they are creations of both Gaia and Syndel.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Their true forms are giant animals but they disguise themselves as mortals to get around more easily.
- Cosmic Keystone: If one is killed, Medius will gradually fall apart, cause disastrous weather and even throw the seasons out of wack.
- Elemental Embodiment: They magical beings connected to the four elements.
- Morphic Resonance: Their mortal disguises all have certain physical features similar with their true animal forms, and even their descendants share some of these qualities.
- Physical God: They where created to watch and guide the mortals in the other gods stead.
ToskiOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Toski the Rabbit sided with Hell during the Great War. She is responsible for Kieri's curse.
- Baleful Polymorph: Kieri's curse. Apparently it didn't work quite as well as intended.
- The Trickster: Apparently has no problem taking a human form and stealing from shops, then cursing anyone who tries to stop her.
SiaraOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Siara the Lynx took the side of Heaven during the Great War. Apparently Cliff has some connection to her, as his power takes on her form.
- Playing with Fire: She's one of the three guardians of fire. And judging from what Cliff did, she probably has this power.
MeerosOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Meeros the Mortori Bird is an...interesting character, to say the least. He once cursed Cliff with a similar curse to Kieri's.
- Blow You Away: Has immense power over wind due to his role as a guardian.
- Clever Crows: Or mortori birds, anyways. They're his symbol/patron animals, and he's very protective of them. They used to be viewed in the standard way; bad luck, omens of death and war, etc., but Meeros put a lot of hard work into his godly PR, so now they are viewed as symbols of love and life.
- The Gadfly: He's not a bad sort, but he definitely gets a kick out of messing with Cliff. (He also tries it with Buwaro, but Buwaro misses the point.)
- Gentleman Snarker: Manages to be polite while still throwing sarcastic quips around (mostly aimed at Cliff).
- Godzilla Threshold: He avoids using his magic but when it becomes clear that he can't beat Moonshade that way he is forced to use it despite the immense collateral damage it causes.
MelliOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Melli the Fire Bee sided with Heaven during the Great War. Is something of a patron to the city of St. Curtis.
- Asshole Victim: Let's be honest, no one felt sad for her when she was killed by Moonshade.
- Bee Afraid:She is a giant fire bee (fictional bee species with bright red colors and makes incredibly spicy honey) and isn't particularly friendly to demons.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Her true form is a giant red bee with a glowing aura.
- Crappy Carnival: Runs a rigged archery game booth.
- Good Is Not Nice: Some versions of the St. Curtis legend have her setting the Jakkai's tree on fire to teach the two races a lesson. And she's a bit of a jerk to Buwaro and Kieri.
- Playing with Fire: As one of the three fire guardians she can do this and may have used it to start the massive fire in St Curtis's history.
- Willfully Weak: She refuses to use her fire magic in her fight against Moonshade for fear of lighting the city ablaze.
MokuOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, taking the form of a giant snake. Was murdered by Mr. Moonshade before the events of the comic.
- Dishing Out Dirt: What he can do as an earth guardian.
- Poisonous Person: His fangs contained venom potent enough to kill another guardian.
- Posthumous Character
- Snake Talk
BroxisOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, for reasons unknown he sided with hell alongside Toski during the great war. He had cursed Kazai at some point.
- Baleful Polymorph: He cursed Kazai with a wolf form because Kazai punched him.
- Covered in Scars: His human and wolf forms have multiple scars on his body and face, including surgery scars on his chest.
- An Ice Person: Is known as the Ice Wolf.
- Savage Wolves: He sided with hell during the Great War though we don't know why yet.
- Transgender: Female-to-Male as confirmed by Word of God and the scars on his chest.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: His human disguise doesn't wear a shirt.
ThadiusBuwaro's beloved pet rock. Supposedly a girl.
- Gag Boobs: Perhaps, in Buwaro's mind. He mentions that they're much bigger than Rhea's, at least.
- Imaginary Friend: Until Rhea showed up, was pretty much Buwaro's only friend.
- Killed Off for Real: As "killed" as a rock can get, anyway. During the demon attack on St. Curtis, Buwaro uses Thadius to try and defend himself from Lazuli, who proceeds to crush her to pieces.
- Meaningful Name: The name sounds similar to Darius.
- Put on a Bus: Done intentionally, as Buwaro makes real friends and gradually forgets about Thadius.
DusterA somewhat lecherous fairy who happens to be Cliff's best friend and traveling companion.
- The Casanova: Goes to great lengths to hook up with female fairies.
- Fairy Companion: Cliff's.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Cliff. They go back and forth, repeatedly tormenting each other. However, when they fight together...
- You No Take Candle: Has a mild case of this, due to poor human language skills (which are notably better than those of most fairies).
BlueThe enchanted skull of the middle head of Cerberus who assists Darius in his disguise.
- Flying Face: He can float around under his own power despite only being a skull.
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath: He has these which alow him to make facial expressions as the actual sockets never change shape.
- Skeletons in the Coat Closet: He serves as a helmet for Darius which allows him to assume Death's appearance and some of his power.
- True Companions: With Darius (despite the fact the later is partially responsible for Blue's current...situation) and he even comes to Darius's defense when Rhea uspets him after he finds out Sakido's fate.
- You Have Failed Me: His current state is a result of this at the hands of the actual Death who punished him for abandoning his post.