Skinny Dipping is swimming, but without the swimsuit. In the nude.
Usually, this is used in fiction for several reasons:
- Fanservice, of course. Because nothing turns people on more than water! Sometimes it's a way to get away with a nude scene without being too erotic.
- Naked People Are Funny and Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen, the latter of which is a sub-trope of this. Together, they can make a humorous situation.
- Sometimes a common element in Slasher Movies, where a female skinny dipper is usually killed by the murderer.
- Samus Is a Girl. A great way to reveal her secret, right?
- To be Truth in Television.
As mentioned above, Skinny Dipping is Truth in Television. It was a common practice back before the 1950's or so, when swimsuits were impractical. It is still done today, though. As a matter of fact, some nudist camps which are otherwise clothing-optional make their pools no-clothing. (It's a little known fact that suit fibers just mean something extra to clean out of the filter system.) However, skinny dipping in public places other than nudist areas can be illegal and bring charges of public indecency or even second degree sexual assault.
Related to Naked People Are Funny. Often the prelude to a Two-Person Pool Party, a Sexy Surfacing Shot, an Outdoor Bath Peeping or Naked People Trapped Outside. Super-Trope to Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen. Contrast Non-Nude Bathing. For anime, see also Furo Scene and Hot Springs Episode (which is not always naked, only often). Compare Waterfall Shower, which can overlap or be a prelude to this at times, and Slippery Swimsuit, where the swimmer started off clothed but wound up naked anyway.
- In Anatolia Story, the Shameless Fanservice Girl Nefert invokes the trope on Yuri and herself to trick a guy following them into thinking that they're a group of bored noblemen on an outing, rather than the companions of Prince Ramses.
- This trope could have happened in Episode 35 of Axis Powers Hetalia (The World Series). Italy asks Germany and Japan to strip so they could do something while they are stuck on an island. Germany begins to strangle him, cutting him off. Italy was talking about swimming... but he worded his words strangely.
- In the first episode of DARLING in the FRANXX Hiro is looking for a wounded bird when he comes across some discarded clothes near a lake. He picks one at random... and it just happens to be the underwear of Zero Two who soon emerges out of the water right in front of him. He has a Freak Out! at her nakedness while she doesn't care about it one bit.
- In El-Hazard: The Magnificent World, the lesbian couple Alielle and Fatora go skinny dipping for Fanservice.
- In The Familiar of Zero, Luctiana is shown swimming naked in an oasis. Later, Saito suggests he and Tiffania cool off in the oasis. He takes off his shirt and jumps in, then gets flustered when she completely strips down to join him.
- Naturally for a swimming based anime, Free!'s first episode sees Nagisa gleefully strip his clothes to join Haruka in the pool.
- In Freezing, Elizabeth Mably always swims or relaxes in the third year dorm's private pool naked, in contrast with the other girls. In Freezing: Vibration, she shows no reservations about being naked at a public poolside among relative strangers. None of the other girls seem fazed by this, and it's only brought up by Roxanne, whose skimpy one-piece swimsuit attracts much more attention.
- In Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (part of Robotech), Aisha/Marlene at one point dives nude into the lake. This is unexpected since she is normally very shy.
- In the first episode of ∀ Gundam, Loran Cehak goes skinny dipping in a river and gets swept away by the current. He's rescued by the Heim sisters, Sochie and Kihel, who also happen to be skinny dipping downstream.
- In Gundam X, Tiffa Adill goes skinny dipping with some dolphins. Super intelligent Newtype Dolphins.
- A Gundam Wing artbook has a picture of Relena waist-deep in a spring in the forest, with no clothes on.
- In G Gundam, Colonel Badass Natasha Zabikov goes skinny dipping in the Highlands. Sai Saici peeps on her and almost gets shot for his "trouble."
- In In the Beginning: The Bible Stories, a young Moses and the future pharaoh involve in this. This is how the latter discovers Moses is a Hebrew (he was circumcised), and despises Moses for it.
- In High School D×D, Kuroka demonstrates she wears nothing under her kimono by taking it off to swim in Issei's pool.
- Kagome from InuYasha loves bathing or swimming in lakes / hot-springs. Usually, Hilarity Ensues. It should be noticed that she later starts using a modern swimsuit when she bathes / swims in rivers and the like, only fully stripping if she's in hot springs / baths. (It'd be pretty unpractical to wear one in such hot water, anyway.)
- In Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho, Amuro skinny dips right outside her house. Noticing what she's doing, Momoko decides that maybe it's the secret of her success at swimming and decides to skinny dip as well. Humorously, Amuro decides to invite Hakane to go for a swim with her as well, uncaring that she's stark naked.
- The manga adaptation of Lunar: The Silver Star includes a scene of Luna bathing nude in a forest spring. Alex accidentally discovers where she's wandered off to and simply gapes silently until Nall gives him away. Cue the fireworks.
- Multiple times in Lupin III, often with Fujiko:
- Lupin III (Red Jacket): Episode 110 has a nudist beach with some guys does this. Episode 141 has Fujiko Mine swim naked in a swimming pool and then takes a shower.
- Fujiko in the first episode of Lupin III (Pink Jacket). Idem in the first episode of Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.
- Lara in an oasis in the movie Lupin III: The Secret of Twilight Gemini.
- Season 1 of The Mysterious Cities of Gold features a scene where main characters Esteban and Tao decide to take such a dip in the river of a friendly village they're staying at. Season 2 sees Zia get enjoy this too, and even use the opportunity to play a prank on the boys.
- Machiko from Maicchingu Machiko Sensei is forced into this situation in the opening where two students remove her costume while she swims in the swimming pool.
- In Episode 7 of Rinne no Lagrange, Madoka, Lan, and Muginami reconcile their misunderstandings of Muginami's older brother that occurred in the previous episode by bathing together in the ocean completely in the buff. This comes just after the Furo Scene between Madoka and Muginami concerning about the latter's Dark and Troubled Past and Lan didn't decide to bathe with them until Muginami took a walk alongside the shore.
- Seven Mortal Sins: In episode 2, after booking a hotel room, Leviathan jumps into the pool in her clothes while Lucifer strips before entering. Leviathan then strips after Lucifer comments that swimming in your clothes is rude. Lucifer then orders her human servant Maria Totsuka to join them, and uses magic to force her to strip and enter the pool when Maria is too embarrassed.
- Happens a couple of times in Bone, once off-screen with Fone Bone and Thorn, and once on-screen with Smiley Bone. Humorously, Thorn doesn't care if Fone Bone sees her naked (telling him that he never wears clothes anyway), but when Fone walks in on Smiley skinny dipping, Smiley embarrassedly tells him to turn around until he's put his vest on.
- Boneyard #10 opens with Michael and Abbey skinny dipping on the beach Although later it turns out to be a dream sequence.
- One of the first casualties to the dinosaurs of Cavewoman was doing this. His girlfriend is found, naked and catatonic, on a later scene of the same issue. Meriem is pretty fond of it, as well.
- In Brazilian comic Chuck Billy, a bunch of hillbilly boys have this habit. A particular comic has the protagonist and his girlfriend swimming naked... And later, he gets blushed at her dress, saying it's too revealing.
- Elektra does this on Elektra: Root of Evil #3 complete with a Toplessness from the Back shot.
- ElfQuest has had one or two scenes where the elves swim and sunbathe in various states of undress, including total of course.
- The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers would sometimes go skinny dipping with some girl freaks, having innocent fun and oblivious to voyeuristic police in helicopters or repressed peeping toms crowding the perimeter of a nude beach.
- In Gen¹³, Sarah Rainmaker is very fond of doing this and not at all shy about doing it in front of people, even her drooling male teammates. She seems to get a kick of getting people all worked up over her nudity.
- Harley and the roller derby girls go skinny dipping in Harley Quinn #10.
- Tallulah Black goes skinny dipping (complete with convenient Scenery Censor) in All-Star Western #34. Jonah enjoys the view before hastening to join her.
- Junior Braves of the Apocalypse lampshades the generational divide on this trope: on the camping trip, the troop leader suggests that any of the boys without a swimsuit can just swim naked, like he did at their age. The Braves just stare at him for a Beat Panel, comment that that's gross, and follow Buddy's advice to swim in their shorts and underwear.
- In The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1910, Captain Nemo's daughter Janni Dakkar is first seen swimming naked.
- An issue of The Simpsons comic-book ends with the townspeople getting drenched in mud and going skinny dipping to wash off.
- Sin City: Ava Lord does this in ''A Dame to Kill For," putting on a show for Dwight.
- In The Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #7 Peter and Mary Jane go to Cassis for their honeymoon as a gift from one of her rich friends. While walking on the beach Peter begins Angsting that he can't afford to take MJ to fancy places like this. Noticing his mood MJ decides to snap him out of him dragging him to the ocean for a swim.
Peter: But I don't have my swim-suit...
Mary Jane: [Flinging off her dress] You won't need one!
- In Teen Titans #50 (4th or 5th volume) Ravager strips and invites Kid Devil to come skinny dipping with her in the pool in Titans Tower.
- Boule et Bill: One comic sees Boule strip nude and run into the ocean for a swim. Bill promptly follows, throwing off his colar in the process.
- A frequent occurrence in Modesty Blaise.
- Mulan has the title character taking a bath in the middle of the night so as not to reveal her identity. Hilarity Ensues when she discovers that some of the other Chinese soldiers had the same idea:
- The Road to El Dorado has the heroes doing this during a montage; naturally, their clothes are stolen by monkeys.
- In Alpha Dog, Alma (Amber Heard) and Julie (Amanda Seyfried) do this in a swimming pool, and don't mind when Zach walks in on them. And joins them.
- The American. The protagonist takes his girlfriend to an isolated river spot, convinced she's a rival assassin send to kill him. Instead she strips down to her panties and gets in the water, but he's too tense to enjoy the sight.
- In Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne and two dates enter a fancy restaurant. The two air-headed bimbos almost immediately strip and jump into the fountain.
Maitre D: Sir, the pool is for decoration, and your friends do not have swimwear.
- In The Big Wedding, Nuria jumps naked into the lake to entice Jared.
- Bruce Almighty: The photo of Grace from their weekend at the lake strongly implies this (We don't see it clearly, but she's said to be "perky".)
- The Burning: In the middle of the night, Eddy convinces Karen to take a naked swim in the river. Cropsy spies on them, looking for an easy kill.
- Charlie Wilson's War opens with the titular character naked in a hot tub with several equally naked Playboy Playmates.
- Chasing Liberty: The president's rebellious daughter Anna decides to go skinny dipping in the Danube so she can "experience freedom at it's utmost freest", much to her bodyguard's frustration.
- In City of Angels, Nathaniel Messinger (an old, fat guy) does this. Seth follows him into the water, but keeps his clothes on.
- A German Film, Die Wolke ("The Cloud"), based on a book by Gudrun Pausewang, features two girls doing this. This is presented as a carefree time, contrasted with what happens later when a nuclear plant explodes, making swimming in any natural water source extremely dangerous.
- In the movie Cracks there is a somewhat creepy scene where a teacher takes the girls on her diving team for a midnight swim and they all go skinny dipping.
- One of girls in Death Screams decides to take a break from the bonfire party and go swimming in nude. She's interrupted by the floating corpses of the two lovers from the film's opening, followed by the killer slashing her throat.
- In Dragonslayer, there is a skinny dipping scene between Valerian and Galen, which also has a nice helping of Samus Is a Girl for good measure.
- Dana Delany and Stephanie Niznik are seen swimming nude in Exit to Eden.
- Forbidden Planet: Commander Adams visits Altaira while she's swimming by herself:
Altaira: Come on in!
Adams: Didn't bring my bathing suit.
Altaira: What's a bathing suit?
Adams: Oh, murder!
- Freddy vs. Jason begins with a girl skinny dipping at Camp Crystal Lake.
- In 2011 horror film The Hike, a group of women on a camping trip has one of their members go missing and during the search they find a couple of guys skinny dipping and they managed to convince most of the girls to join them, while the protagonist Kate is frustrated that they're stopped searching and tries to get the girls to leave.
Guy: It's just a little bit of fun!
Kate: [looks pointedly at his crotch] I can see that.
Guy: It's cold alright?
Kate: Not that cold.
- In In Time, Will and Sylvia break away from her boring party to swim in the ocean (her mansion is next to the beach).
- James Bond:
- In The Man with the Golden Gun, James Bond finds a woman swimming naked in a swimming pool. She invites him to join her, and he politely declines until she asks again. The people he was waiting to meet interrupt him before he can cast off his clothes.
- Bond goes skinny-dipping with Melina at the end of For Your Eyes Only.
- Octopussy: When Bond first arrives on Octopussy's island, he's able to see her swimming in her pool in the nude.
- The first victim of the Shark in Jaws is a woman skinny dipping.
- In Jennifer's Body, Jennifer swims naked in a lake to wash off the blood from the previous victim she has eaten.
- In Logan's Run, Logan 5 (Michael York) and Jessica 6 (Jenny Agutter) do this when they find a lake.
- In the 1933 film Man's Castle, two lovers go skinny dipping on a whim. Granted, this is The Pre-Code Era, so things were much more lenient when it came to nudity.
- In The Man in the Moon, Dani (Reese Witherspoon) goes skinny-dipping after church instead of doing chores in a swimming hole, where she meets Court.
- Dates at least as far back as 1918 and Mickey. Herbert is out surveying his land when his telescope finds Mickey (Mabel Normand) sans clothing, taking a dive in the lake.
- National Lampoon's Vacation has Clark swimming naked with another woman in a hotel swimming pool, only to be caught by his family.
- In 1941, a woman goes swimming naked off the California coast during World War II and winds up in a close encounter with a Japanese submarine. She's played by the same actress who was eaten while Skinny Dipping in Jaws (but she lives in 1941, happily if embarrassed).
- In Now and Then, the four girls stumble upon the Wormer boys, who recently played a prank on them, doing this at a lake, and use the opportunity to get revenge on them by deploying the Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen trope.
- In the Made-for-TV Movie Our Sons, Luanne (Ann Margret) goes out for a late-night skinny dip after talking to Audrey.
- An unfortunately unseen incident, mentioned at the beginning of Paddington:
Mary Brown: Did you have fun, pumpkin?Judy Brown: It's Judy, and it was fine until you jumped in the lake.Mary: It's a bathing pond. It's what you're supposed to do.Judy: Not naked!Mary: Well, I forgot my costume...
- The 1998 version of The Parent Trap features twins Hallie and Annie playing a hand of Five Card Poker at summer camp, with the loser to skinny dip while the whole cabin watches. Hallie's Royal Flush beats Annie's Straight Flush. They steal Annie's clothes.
- In The Price Of Milk, Rob (Karl Urban) skinny-dips in a vat of milk with his girlfriend.
- In Australian horror film Primal, the first character to catch The Virus gets it from skinny dipping.
- In Project X, Costa puts a "Naked Women Only" sign next to the pool. To the boys' surprise, several of the girls actually obey it.
- Norwegian summer flick Reefs In The Sea from 1965 plays up the Fanservice quite a bit. Of course, the three girls central to the plot go skinny dipping, in the middle of the night nonetheless.
- Tanya Roberts in the title role in Sheena, who has No Nudity Taboo.
- In A Single Man, George (Colin Firth) and Kenny (Nicholas Hoult) do this at the beach, in the middle of the night.
- In Siren (2010), Silka entices Rachel to come swimming naked with her as the group is making camp on the beach. The sight is enough to make Ken and Marco join them. And then things get weird...
- Indulged in by the hero and heroine of Sssssss, leading the heroine's father to turn the hero into a snake. Yeah, you read that right.
- Tommy Boy features a woman skinny dipping in a hotel pool while David Spade has A Date with Rosie Palms.
- Jenny Agutter (again) in the 1971 Australian film Walkabout. Quite a long scene.
- Welcome Home: Bryan and Cassie go skinny dipping together in the pool of the Italian villa they're renting. She tries to make turn it into a Two-Person Pool Party but Bryan can't get into it due feeling like they're Being Watched. He's right.
- In What's Your Number?, Colin and Ally do this in the Boston Harbor. Then they realize it was a stupid idea because the water is cold.
- In Wild Hogs, the four main characters do this but then are interrupted by a family with young children who don't realize this, and then things turn awkward really fast until the Straight Gay police officer shows up...
- An elderly man in Florida had owned a large farm for years. He had a large pond in the back, fixed up nice; picnic tables, horseshoe courts, and some orange and peach trees. The pond was ideal for swimming, although he rarely did that anymore. One evening he decided to go down to the pond, as he hadn't been there for a while, and look it over. He grabbed a five-gallon bucket with which to bring back some fruit. As he neared the pond, he heard voices shouting and laughing with glee. As he came closer he saw it was a bunch of young women skinny-dipping in his pond. He made the women aware of his presence and they all went to the deep end. One of the women shouted to him, "We're not coming out until you leave!" The old man frowned, "I didn't come down here to watch you ladies swim naked or to make you get out of the pond naked..." holding the bucket up he said, "...I'm here to feed the alligator."
- In The Body, the book that was later adapted into the movie Stand by Me, the four boys go skinny dipping in a beaver pond, which turns out to be infested with leeches. This scene was altered for the movie, where they fall in with their clothes still on.
- In the book version of Dr. No, James Bond first meets Honey Ryder when she's seashell hunting while wearing only goggles, a snorkel, and a belt for her knife.
- In the story "The Echo" by J. Nagibin, a major plot point is that the girl the protagonist befriended does this. The protagonist is forced into a Sadistic Choice when a group of bullies he fears (while trying to be accepted by them) starts harassing the girl.
- Fiddleback by Elisabeth Honey has a chapter named "Skinny Dipping or Free Willies II". The chapter is Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- The Fountainhead starts with this.
- The Freshman Dorm series by Linda A. Cooney plays a more PG version of this in Freshman Schemes by having good girl Courtney Conner and her boyfriend go swimming in their underwear. When pictures emerge, it nearly ruins both of their reputations.
- The Gates of Sleep: Marina goes skinny-dipping with undines once that we see, but it's clearly a common occurrence whenever the weather's warm enough.
- Done without even a hint of Fanservice in Brock Cole's The Goats, as the characters involved are pre-teens and only naked because of a horrific camp hazing tradition. Howie and Grace's decision to do this just to get away from the other kids kick-starts the plot, as the misadventures which unfold thereafter are a direct consequence of that choice. The scenes are kept pretty faithfully in the film adaptation Standing Up.
- In The Great Brain, all the boys go skinny dipping in the local pond on a regular basis. One summer it was so hot even the grown men went, crowding the boys out. (Girls and women had to stay at home in their large heavy period dresses and sweat the summer out.)
- His Dark Materials:
- When Will escapes to a new world in The Subtle Knife, one of the first things he does is undress and go swimming in the ocean.
- In The Amber Spyglass Mary Malone takes her clothes to swim after some seed pods, much to the shock and gratefulness of the Mulefa. Also, both Lyra and Will skinny dip near the end of the book as a way to bathe.
- In the Newbery book On My Honor, this is an important plot point, because the hero, Joel, loses his friend Tony, who drowns (since this is a Newbery book).
- Happens very poignantly in Pictures of Adam, where Lisa (a girl from a rich family) challenges Adam (a boy from a poor family) to skinny dip in the nearby lake. When they do, she explains to him that "I am not my clothes, or my house... I am what is now in the pool... and so are You", bringing the point across that class differences aren't insurmountable. Lisa is aware of dangers (stranger-related or otherwise) in such undertaking, so as soon as they get out, she puts her clothes back on
- Phryne Fisher and Simon go skinny dipping in Raisins and Almonds.
- The main characters in The Rest Of Us Just Live Here skinny dip during their private after-prom party at an isolated cabin in the woods. It's for purely platonic fun and bonding: most of them are old friends, and of the two couples present one is in a Secret Relationship.
- The book series Soup: the narrator and the title character skinny dips in the book Soup and Me. However, their clothes are stolen and they are forced to "borrow" dresses to cover themselves up.
- In Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land Jubal's pool is swimsuit-free.
- In the murder mystery Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey, young Harriet Shaw witnesses a killing while skinny-dipping in the Thames with friends. As she and her friends scatter, she eventually comes to shore some distance from her clothes but not far from a neighborhood policeman, leading to a brief bit of Naked People Trapped Outside as well.
- In another Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long, 2,000 years in the future, has to explain to his daughters/sisters/clones that people in the 20th century actually wore clothes while swimming. They don't understand why anyone would.
- Implied in To Kill a Mockingbird. The heroine's brother won't take her to a pond with him and Dill, because they prefer to skinny-dip.
- In Trial by Journal, one character does this in the hotel pool at night.
- Bella and Edward in Breaking Dawn. Justified as they were 1) alone on a private island and 2) on their wedding night preparing to consumate their marriage.
- In the fifth book of Venus Prime, Sparta spends the latter half of the book swimming nude in the world-ship of Amalthea.
- Wet Desert: Tracking Down a Terrorist on the Colorado River: Julie desires to skinny dip in Lake Powell.
- A minor plot point on When the Windman Comes by A. Michelis. The protagonist (an 11-year-old boy) discovers photos of a girl in a bathing suit and thinks the girl is Pareidolie, his friend (who is also 11 years old, just like on the photos). But Pareidolie replies that she doesn't even have a bathing suit. Her mother doesn't want her to swim together with other kids as this would be "unsafe" and to enforce this, Pareidolie is obliged to always swim in the nude. At this moment Patrick realizes that Pareidolie's mother is not completely sane.
- Young Bond: At the end of Blood Fever, Bond and Amy go skinny dipping, only to be attacked by Jana Carnifex, Ugo's sister in a Post-Climax Confrontation.
- In Young Wizards Nita and Kit have to swim naked before they turn into whales in Deep Wizardry. Bathing suits don't fit on whales.
- In the opening episode of the 18th cycle of America's Next Top Model, Laura says this verbatim. And looooooouuuuuuuuuuuddd!!! And the American girls just go wild.
- In the "Shark Island" episode of Baywatch Hawaii, Jessie takes up skinny dipping when Sean tells her about the Polynesian cleansing ritual and performs a rescue in the nude.
- In an episode of the beach documentary Bridget's Sexiest Beaches, Bridget Marquardt and Sara Jean Underwood tour Croatia and skinny dip in the Adriatic Sea. Amusingly, they completely ignore the unseen camera crew and expose their butts to the camera, but when some hikers stumble onto the scene, the girls have a Naked Freak-Out and order them to leave.
- The CSI episode "Fracked" opens with three teenagers skinny dipping in a hot spring. They discover a dead body floating in it.
- Crazy old man Leonard does this in "Advanced Criminal Law" of Community.
- Devious Maids: In "Setting the Table", Spicy Latina maid Carmen is quick to take advantage of the fact her boss Alejandro will be out of the house for a while to enjoy it's luxuries herself, claiming it's "immoral" not to enjoy all the nice things that God has blessed him with, her coworker Sam disagrees, but can only stare helplessly as Carmen flippantly takes off all her clothes and dives into her employer's pool. Of course, the housekeeper comes back sooner than expected and Carmen has to hide inside a piano completely naked as Sam covers for her.
- Doogie Howser, M.D.: The episode "Look Ma, No Pants" has Doogie skinny dipping in the family pool with his mothers new boss until he gets caught by, guess who?
- The Fosters:
- In "Under Water", Stef has her upcoming mastectomy for her breast cancer, so imagines herself peacefully swimming naked in a pool. After Stef confides in Lena, Lena later takes her out to sneak into an absent neighbor's backyard at night and have a Two-Person Pool Party in their pool.
- In the Series Finale, Stef and Lena go skinny dipping at night again at a beachside resort in Turks and Caicos. This time it's Played for Laughs, as while they're making out in the ocean, a hotel worker collects their robes and room key leaving them stranded outside.
- Hart of Dixie: On the episode "In Havoc & In Heat", a Heat Wave hits the town and Zoe fantasizes about Wade is doing this on their backyard lake. At the end of the episode, she gets the never to go skinny dipping there herself and Wade is the one that ends up watching her.
- In Canadian series Heartland, Ty first meets one of his Love Interest's Kit when he stumbles on her finishing skinny dipping on a lake in his property. When she sees him she has a Naked Freak-Out and quickly jumps behind her horse to use it as cover.
- Legend of the Seeker: In "Mirror," a thief (disguised as Kahlan via a magical mirror) convinces Richard to go skinny dipping with her in a lake so he gets distracted and not notice while the other thief is stealing his Cool Sword. She has him completely hooked the moment her Dress Hits Floor.
- Little House on the Prairie: The 1977 episode "My Ellen," which actually involves young teen-agers (Melissa Sue Anderson was the only bonafide teen at 16, while Melissa Gilbert and the actress who played Ellen (Mia Bendixsen) were 13) skinny-dipping at the beginning of the episode. All that's seen are the girls' bare-shoulders, although several young boys who are classmates of Laura, Mary and Ellen hope to see more. The storyline follows the "accidental drowning" plotline when, upon the discovery that they're being watched, the girls momentarily duck until the boys go away, but Ellen becomes entangled in some wooded brush and drowns.
- In Modern Family, we learn that when she was a teenager, Claire was caught by the police skinny-dipping in a neighbor's pool.
- Murdoch Mysteries: In "Houdini Whodunnit", we learn that Julia was arrested for skinny dipping as a student. This has an interesting effect on William.
- The Office: In "Pool Party", a drunken Robert California ends up skinny dipping in his own pool to the shock and amazement of all the employees (except Jim, who takes the opportunity to make his escape). Ryan and Gabe, who want to impress him and are drunk as well, follow suit.
- One Tree Hill:
- In "The Desperate Kingdom Of Love", Peyton and Brooke go skinny dipping after sunbathing at her father's boat.
- In "You Can't Always Get What You Want", Brooke first meets her neighbor Felix when she catches him skinny dipping on her pool. At the end of the episode, he catches her doing it on his pool, and as she climbs out she tells him her pool is much better.
- In "Don't Dream It's Over", a jealous Haley asks her nanny Carrie not to wear a bikini at the pool. Carrie complies... by wearing nothing when going for a night swim.
- In the first episode of Puberty Blues, Sue's parents insist on doing this while drunk, much to Sue's embarrassment.
- Quantum Leap: "A Leap For Lisa" opens with Sam waking up on a beach confused. Then to his shock, Lisa Sherman emerges from the ocean naked and makes out with him. It turns out to be an Erotic Dream.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World: Marguerite is swimming in a river when John happens upon her and chastises her for being alone in a dangerous area, just as he spots a crocodile coming for her. He draws his gun and tells her to get out of the water, but she refuses thinking it's just a ploy so he can see her naked. By the time she sees the danger coming he has to jump into the crocodile and wrestle with it and she scurries away and grabs his gun to shoot the crocodile, all the while her nudity is concealed by either strategically placed leaves and bushes or her holding the gun close to her chest.
- Canadian Eve Kelly made a six-part miniseries, Skinny Dipping, were she got people to go skinny dipping in far off locations.
- The opening of Petticoat Junction shows the girls skinny dipping in the water tank. In fact that's how that particular location gets its (unofficial) name, from the girls' petticoats draped over the side of the tank.
- That '70s Show
- The episode "Hyde Moves In" had the gang skinny dipping in the Cold Open and lead to Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen situation where they had to drive back home naked.
- In "Graduation", Eric and Donna plan to go skinny dipping together, only to get lost and Eric finds his sister Laurie swimming naked while Fez walks in on Donna.
- Vera: The Victim of the Week in "Changing Tides" was skinny dipping at a stag party before she was murdered.
- Veronica Mars: In "The Wrath of Con", Veronica confesses in a game of "I Never" that she never went skinny dipping and the group makes her promise that she will. At the end of the episode, she drives up to the beach and fulfills that promise.
- White Collar has Alex making Neal skinny dip with her to prove that he wasn't wearing a wire. It should be noted, Neal is played by Matt Bomer.
- The Young Riders: Teaspoon discovered that Lou was really Louise, when he decided to join her in the pond she was bathing in, over "his" objections.
- In this local news report on Haulover nude beach in Florida the reporter does this at the at the end of the segment.
- There are three different songs whose lyrics does Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "Skinny Dipping" by Ramona Brooks and covered by Cheryl Ladd, "Skinny Dippin'" by Whitney Duncan, and "Skinnydippin'" by Vengaboys.
- "Nightswimming" by R.E.M..
- Referenced in the chorus of "Last Friday Night" by Katy Perry.
- Referenced in "Water" by Brad Paisley.
- The video for "Who's Your Daddy?" by Toby Keith has Tiffany Fallon swimming topless in his pool.
- Implied on the backglass of Future Spa, where a man and woman are swimming in a pool without any clothing visible.
- From the Global Guardians PBEM Universe, aquatic superheroine Calypso, being from the undersea kingdom of Atlantis (a society with no nudity taboo), has a hard time figuring out why the surface dwellers insist on wearing clothing when above the water, much less when they are in it. Her default mode of dress when swimming is total nudity. This is her default mode of dress while out of the water 70% of the time, as well.
- Dungeons & Dragons Ed. 3.5 has the homebrewed flaw "Compulsive Skinny Dipper," which gives a character the compulsion to swim nude when encountering large enough bodies of water. Some circumstances (like cold, the likeness of monsters in the water, or onlookers) make it less likely to happen, though.
- Discussed in one verse of the song "A Twinkle In Your Eye" from I Married an Angel:
My sister Sue once took a swim without a stitch on.
The cop who caught her took her to the jail nearby.
The judge who tried her held her for examination.
Of course, it may have been the twinkle in her eye.
- One of the possible things to do as a teenager in the life simulation game Alter Ego is going skinny dipping. Depending on your choice, you either throw off your clothes and jump straight in (only to discover you're the only person who actually did it, and is thus naked in front of everyone), or, after taking your sweet time getting in, end up being the last person to get out, and are thus naked in front of everyone.
- As of Late Night, The Sims 3 has a skinny dip interaction with pools and hot tubs. You can only do it when there aren't any Teen or younger Sims on the same lot.
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, a Heel Face Turned Aversa implies that she likes to do this:
"I usually go for a swim in the lake. ...Sometimes even in proper attire."
- In Firewatch, Henry's first task as a firewatcher is to confront two girls who are setting off fireworks and skinny dipping.
- Happens twice in Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. The first time, it's at a hot spring, and Lucia innocently decides that she wants to be with Hiro and walks over to the men's side of the baths while naked (Something one gaming magazine called 97.3% of the reason why this is a fantasy RPG). Later on in the game, the party camps by a lake and Lucia decides to go swimming. By this point, Lucia's been around humans long enough to acquire a sense of modesty, so she freaks out when she realizes that Hiro is watching.
- Christie in the opening of Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball appears atop a high cliff at night, fully nude, and then takes a dive to swim. Obviously her naughty bits are framed by shadows.
- In Alice, the titular character goes skinny-dipping in the local pond with her friends Dot and Joanne, and the girls end up the victims of Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen when a dog carries off the platic bag they'd put their clothes in for safekeeping. Dot and Joanne manage to get home without getting spotted — Alice doesn't.
- Hope from Alone in a Crowd does this here and somehow manages to persuade Faith to try it too. Plays up to Naked People Are Funny.
- In Fite!, Lucco and Guz go skinny dipping in a river together.
- Magick Chicks: When Faith sees that Tiffany's tagged along for the student council's camping trip,note she turns on the charm and suggests she keep her mask on later, for when they went skinny-dipping. The thing was, Faith was just kidding. So, when Tiff showed up naked, Faith got an unexpected, albeit very pleasant, surprise.
- In Ménage à 3, Sandra and Senna get drunk together in Montreal, and decide to go skinny dipping, just because. Senna announces that she knows a perfect beach for the purpose. Which is how Sandra ends up stranded in Brazil.
- Further to the preceding — Sandra subsequently gets her own comic, Sandra on the Rocks. When she gets drunk and then dumped in a nightclub's pool in that, Her fondness for skinny dipping resurfaces and proves infectious.
- In Flaws, a fan webcomic in the style of The Order of the Stick, a female barbarian has the aforementioned flaw "Compulsive Skinny Dipper."◊ Naturally, the party's Halfling has the flaw "Pervert".
- School Bites has a skinny dipping scene. Ironically, it only leads to an awkward moment for the one girl who is not done undressing.
- In Questionable Content, Tai and Gabby go skinny dipping at a party, but decide it's boring with just two.
- The Cimbrean teenagers of The Jenkinsverse embrace skinny dipping with varying degrees of enthusiasm and innocence. Sara just sees it as the logical way to avoid having to carry home wet towels and swimsuits and finds it irritating when people get hung up on the nudity. Adam is willing to try, and decides that he enjoys it after a little initial awkwardness. Meanwhile it takes a near-death experience and an epiphany for Ava to finally join in.
- Finn meets Huntress Wizard while doing this in an episode of Adventure Time.
- Bob's Burgers:
- In the Halloween Episode "Full Bars", Louise tries to thwart a gang of teens terrorizing the local trick-or-treater kids. With a stolen cell phone she texts them in the guise of a girl classmate inviting them to skinny dip at a pool, where she laces their underwear with packets of hot sauce.
- In "A River Runs Through Bob", Bob and Linda go for a late-night skinny dip in the river, but get pulled away by the current and struggle to make it through the wilderness and back to camp.
- A right of privilege on Freedom Day in Futurama.
- On The Ren & Stimpy Show, Stimpy invites Ren to go skinny dipping while camping. Since they were already naked, this involves taking off their furs. They are then joined (to their great horror) by a withered old man who just loves skinny dipping. And then by the man's wife, to their even greater horror. The old man later appears through the episode, practicing such activities as skinny stomping and skinny slapping.
- In The Simpsons
- The episode "500 Keys", Homer remembers going skinny dipping with Duff Man. This might be how he ended up with the key to the Duff brewery.
- Lisa was arrested for skinny-dipping in the Fermentarium at Duffworld (admittedly, she was stoned after drinking the water in the boat ride for a dare) while crying "I am the Lizard Queen!"
- This is the main plot of the Tiny Toon Adventures episode "A Bacon Strip", where Plucky dares Hampton into skinny dipping in Montana Max's pool, only for Hampton's clothes to be stolen.
- Before the 1960s, it was a common practice for boys in the YMCA to swim naked in the pools, because swimsuits were impractical back then.
- Similar to the above, it was a common practice for high school swimmers to swim nude during swimming practice, including Roman Catholic high schoolers.
- Even some U.S. presidents were avid skinny dippers, with the most avid being John Quincy Adams, Theodore Roosevelt, and John F. Kennedy.
- Adams famously rose early to swim in the Potomac. According to legend, he had his clothes held hostage by a female reporter on the riverbank and/or had his clothes yoinked by pranksters and had to ask a passerby to run to the White House to call for another outfit. There's no confirmation that either of these events happened, though it is possible.
- JFK preferred to skinny dip in the pool, sometimes with girls (also naked). He allowed the press to interview him while doing so on the condition they also swim naked.
- As the Religious Tolerance website states, "Nude swimming has probably been the rule rather than the exception during the history of mankind."
- A British tourist decided to swim in the moat of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. The police attempted to stop him but he chased them away and was finally caught two hours later.
Oh no! Someone has stolen my clothes!!! Good thing no-one could see you on the Internet.