Originally aired October 1, 2002
Written by Mark Verheiden
Directed by James Marshall
On the first day of sophomore year at Smallville High, Clark develops a new superpower: heat vision. Desiree Atkins, the sexy new Biology teacher, uses Kryptonite-enhanced pheromones to get Lex to marry her and then attempts to seduce Clark.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Black Widow: Desiree's M.O. She marries wealthy men and then uses her pheromones to entrance another male to kill her husband so she'll inherit his money.
- Bond Breaker: Desiree's influence on Lex turns him against Clark and later Lana. This ends after she's stopped.
- Deus Sex Machina:
- Clark's heat vision is triggered by his sexual arousal.
- Chloe explains that Desiree got her ability to produce pheromones due to being caught in the 1989 meteor shower while having sex with her boyfriend.
- Distracted by the Sexy: In the teaser, while the rest of the class is watching a sex-ed film, Clark sneaks a few glances at Desiree, who actually gestures for him to pay attention.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Clark's unintentional outbursts of heat vision (resulting from his sexual arousal) calls to mind, er... over-excitement.
- Evil Teacher: Desiree plans to seduce one her students so she can control him into killing Lex in her behalf. Unfortunately for her, she chose Clark who is immune to her powers.
- Eye Beams: Clark develops heat vision in this episode.
- Fanservice: The camera gives us nice shots of Desiree's goods during her introductory scene. Later we get a scene of her Skinny Dipping in the Luthor Manor with a Sexy Surfacing Shot of her climbing out of the pool.
- Fourth Date Marriage: Lex marries Desiree after having known her for only a week or so. Martha points this out while calling him out on being unduly influenced by Desiree.
- Frame-Up: Desiree sets her own car on fire and claims Clark is the culprit, leading to him getting arrested and put in the town jail since Clark was near two other fires (as a result of his emerging heat vision).
- Gold Digger: Desiree, who married men just so she can have them killed and get their money.
- Hot Teacher: Desiree Atkins, the new Biology teacher at Smallville High, is very attractive and gets the attention of all the male students in the school, even Clark!
- How Do I Shot Web?: Clark has a montage of practicing his heat vision until he can use it at will.
- Living Aphrodisiac: Desiree can emit pheromones that can enthrall males, but not Kryptonians.
- Meaningful Name: DESIREe, alluding to her powers. Also doubles as a Meaningful Rename, since her original name was Allison Sanders.
- Mind Control: Desiree seems to be able to control men with pheromone powers.
- More Than Mind Control: But her powers only enhance the natural attraction her targets have towards her, which is why she only uses them on men. Even when she convinces Jonathan into killing Lex, his dialogue implies he's partially fueled by his own natural dislike of Lex.
- Ms. Fanservice: Desiree, played by Krista Allen (whom many will recognize as the title character in the Emmanuelle softcore porn films, among other things).
- Not Himself: Lex for most of the episode, but this is true of any men under Desiree's thrall.
- No-Sell: Despite being attracted to Desiree's sexual allure, due to his kryptonian origins Clark is immune to her actual powers, which ends up with her exposing her true agenda when she tries to use her powers on him.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Jonathan goes to talk to Desiree about Clark and finds her coming out of the Luthor Mansion's swimming pool... naked. He isn't impressed, averts his eyes, and even hands Desiree her robe.Desiree: Are you here to talk about Clark?
Jonathan: Yes, I am. [picks up a robe and hands it to Desiree] And I prefer to do it clothed, if you don't mind.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Jonathan asks this while throwing a robe to an unashamed Desiree.
- Self-Made Orphan: Years ago, Desiree had her boyfriend murder her parents so she could collect their insurance.
- Sex Goddess: Desiree's Living Aphrodisiac powers combined with her natural sex appeal make her one. Which seems to be how she keeps a hold on a Casanova like Lex for so long. A Deleted Scene shows them post-coital, with Lex exhausted and breathless with wine bottles broken all around them.
- Shame If Something Happened: Desiree implicitly threatens Clark's loved ones after he confronts her with his suspicions that she's doing something to turn Lex against his friends.Desiree: I wanted to prove a point.
Clark: To who? Lana?
Desiree: No, Clark, to you. I want you to understand something: I can control the people in your life. I had Lex close down the Talon in a heartbeat. Imagine what would happen if I turned him against this town, your friends, or even your parents.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Desiree shows no qualms about being naked in front of Jonathan and doesn't bother covering herself until he asks her too.
- She's Got Legs: Desiree has long toned legs, which both the camera and Clark focus on during her introduction scene.
- Shoot the Bullet: When Desiree controls Jonathan into shooting Lex, Clark manages to save him by using his heat vision to destroy the bullet mid-flight.
- Shoulders-Up Nudity: Desiree is seen from the shoulders up after she climbs out of the pool.
- Skinny Dipping: When Jonathan goes to the Luthor Masion to talk to Desiree, he finds her swimming naked on the pool, and is not at all disturbed by his presence.
- Stealth Pun: In the final act, Clark is seen reading Fahrenheit 451. Note that this episode takes place during a heat wave in Smallville.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Early in the episode, Clark can't keep his eyes off Desiree. This also applies to most of the male students, according to Chloe.Clark: What if I told you that Mrs. Atkins came to my loft and tried to seduce me?
Chloe: I'd say you're living the voyeuristic fantasy of every male student in the school.
- The Talk: The conversation Clark has with his parents regarding his heat vision and how they seem to be tied to his sexual arousal leads to a unique version of this.
- That Came Out Wrong: When Clark tells Chloe that Desiree tried to have her way with him, a bewildered Chloe wonders why their teacher (who's married to Lex) would suddenly be interested in Clark.Clark: Thanks.
- Toplessness from the Back: The camera gives a shot of Desiree's bare back when she is naked in front of Jonathan.
- Villain: Exit, Stage Left: After Clark stops Jonathan from killing Lex, Desiree sets Lex's shirt on fire and tries to escape. While putting Lex out, Clark stops her by using his heat vision on the doorknob, so Desiree burns her hand when she tries to open it. She is then arrested.
- Villain of the Week: Desiree Atkins, Hot Teacher with Kryptonite pheromones trying to marry and kill Lex to inherit his money.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Martha gives one to Lex after Desiree frames Clark for arson.Lex: Mrs. Kent, I am truly sorry about Clark.
Martha: Are you, Lex? My son is in jail, and your wife put him there.
Lex: Maybe these fires were a cry for help.
Martha: Is that you talking, or is Mrs. Luthor talking through you?
Lex: I'd never ask you to take sides against your husband. Please don't ask me to doubt my wife.
Martha: Any good relationship relies on trust, but there has to be room to disagree. Like the way Jonathan and I disagreed about you. He couldn't see past the Luthor name. I always thought you were truly trying to be Clark's friend. I'm beginning to think Jonathan was right all along.
Lex: Believe me, I never wanted it to come to this.
Martha: You know Clark. He's not a criminal. He's the one person who's stood by you no matter what. Ask yourself, is he really capable of this?
Lex: I wouldn't have thought so. But I know Desiree.
Martha: Lex! You met and married her in a week! How well could you know her?