Welcome to The Future, and welcome to the Future Spa! Our facilities have been designed to maximize your Pinball playing while sculpting your body to perfection. Use the gate to redirect the soothing waters away from the outlane, then enable the Fountain of Youth for a bonus, super bonus, and Special. Knock down the four inline drops and expose the Futurity Target, somersault over the Rollover Button for the Saucer Bonus, then swim upstream with our bathing beauties for another workout.
Excuse Plot aside, Future Spa is a 1979 pinball machine designed by George Christian with artwork by Dave Christensen and Paul Faris. As a game, it's fun but largely forgettable; even with a variety of targets to shoot for, much of the widebody space comes across as wasted, and poorly-maintained tables end up feeling sluggish. Even so, the game is infamous among pinheads as an endless font of humor — between its Seventies-era aesthetics, laughably dated Raygun Gothic portrayal of the future, and the sheer cheesiness of the premise itself, Future Spa is a game that will long live in the annals of pinball history for all the wrong reasons.
Future Spa demonstrates the following tropes:
- Future Spandex/Space Clothes: The jogging couple on the backglass wear tight body-fitting spandex jumpsuits cut to the navel.
- Hard Light: On the backglass, a man is performing repetitions using a beam of orange light instead of a weight bar.
- Mr. Fanservice/Ms. Fanservice: Everyone flaunts their flawlessly sculpted bodies while wearing form-fitting clothing, skimpy swimwear, or nothing at all.
- The Place
- Porn Stache: You know it's The '70s when all of the men have thick, bushy moustaches.
- Raygun Gothic: The Future Spa aesthetic favors form-fitting jumpsuits, buildings and structures dominated with swooping curves, and lots of gleaming glass and steel everywhere.
- She's Got Legs: Seen on the playfield, where a lithe woman shows off her shapely legs with a set of kicks.
- Skinny Dipping: Implied on the backglass, where a man and woman are swimming in a pool without any clothing visible.
- Spelling Bonus: F-U-T-U-R-E enables the Fountain of Youth target, while F-U-T-U-R-E-S-P-A enables the left kicker.
- Vapor Wear: The women of the future apparently don't believe in bras or pasties.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: All of the men, except for the jogger on the backglass.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: All of the women, except for the jogger on the backglass.
- We Will Have Perfect Health in the Future: The theme of the game, essentially.
- Workout Fanservice: And how.