Doc Hollywood is a 1991 American Romantic Comedy film directed by Michael Caton-Jones that stars Michael J. Fox, Julie Warner and Woody Harrelson, with Bridget Fonda and David Ogden Stiers in supporting roles.
Dr. Benjamin Stone (Fox) is a promising young surgeon working in Washington, D.C. with plans of making more money working for a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon. Driving out west, Stone swerves on the highway and crashes into the fence of a local resident in the rural hamlet of Grady, South Carolina. The resident is the local judge, who sentences him to community service at the nearby hospital as punishment rather than allow Stone to pay for the fence with cash. Though upset, Ben soon discovers that the whole chain of events leads to a humbling experience.
This film features examples of:
- Artistic License Medicine: When Dr. Hogue has a heart attack and flat-lines, Ben uses a defibrillator to administer an electric shock. Defibrillators are used to treat irregular heartbeats; they do nothing for a stopped heart.
- As Ben is being shown around the plastic surgery clinic, he and another doctor go straight from one surgery to the next. While the wash their hands and change their gloves, they keep wearing the same scrubs throughout.
- The City vs. the Country: A hotshot plastic surgeon on his way to a new job in Hollywood crashes his car and has to do community service as a doctor in South Carolina.
- From Dress to Dressing: Ben momentarily agonizes over having to rip up some Armani shirts in order to treat a woman who's gone into sudden labor.
- Hollywood Law: Ben is taken to court for accidentally crashing into a fence on the property of a local judge, who tries the case personally. A judge cannot try a case in which he is the plaintiff or defendant, as that is an obvious conflict of interest.
- Mock Hollywood Sign: DOC has been placed next to HOLLYWOOD on the poster.
- Naked First Impression: Lou is first seen by Ben when she emerges from a lake where she's been Skinny Dipping and walks up to him unperturbed by her nudity. When Ben says it's alright since he's a doctor, she retorts "then it's nothing you haven't seen before."
- Nature Tinkling: Lou squats and pees in the forest, as according to her, the scent of human urine scares off the deers to keep the hunters away from them. She does this in different areas of the forest and even convinces Ben to do the same.
- Pro Bono Barter: Ben gets paid for a bit of doctoring... with a hog. He is seen walking around with it on a rope several times after that.
- There Is No Higher Court: Ben is taken to court for accidentally crashing into a fence on the property of a local judge, and the judge himself sentences him to community service. Most judges don't judge their own cases.