The Hollywood Sign is a sign on Mount Lee overlooking Hollywood, Los Angeles. It consists of 44-foot tall white letters spelling out HOLLYWOODnote . Because of the obvious glitz and glamour associated with the area, as well as its proximity to America's oldest studios, the sign is one of the most iconic symbols in American pop culture. Unsurprisingly, it has its own share of mock-ups and parodies, with fictional communities often planting their own white block-letter signs on their surrounding mountains. Bonus points if the sign overlooks a No Communities Were Harmed version of Hollywood.
When the sign is used to establish a setting as being in or around Hollywood, see Eiffel Tower Effect.
May overlap with Rushmore Refacement.
- In Inspector Chingum, the city of Shantiwood has a big sign reading "SHANTIWOOD" in the same style as the Hollywood sign.
- The trailer for The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part shows that the Bricksburg sign (which largely resembles the Hollywood sign) has been ripped apart during the apocalypse.
- The kingdom of Far Far Away in Shrek 2, which is patterned on Beverly Hills, has a Far Far Away sign on the hills overlooking the kingdom.
- The album cover to Dr. Dre's "Compton" has a blocky white sign spelling "Compton" overlooking said city.
- Toon Town at Disney Theme Parks has a mock-up of the Hollywood sign, as white letters spelling "Toon Town" are placed on the surrounding "hills".
- The Amazing Frog?: The town of Swindon has a Hollywood-like sign declaring its name just outside it.
- Discworld II has a huge HOLY WOOD sign on a cliff face above (of course) Holy Wood.
- The default Garry's Mod map GM_Flatgrass has a Hollywood sign in the distance that reads "FLATTYWOOD".
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto V has Vinewood, an Expy of Hollywood itself, and has its own version of the Hollywood sign.
- Katamari Damacy: Starting with We ♥ Katamari, the Hollywood Sign is one of the world landmarks you can roll up when your katamari gets big enough. The letters are separate objects, and in some stages the letters are rearranged to spell other phrases, like "OH MY WOOD" (with an upside-down "W" serving as an "M").
- The mobile game Kim Kardashian: Hollywood has a giant KARDASHIAN sign replace the Hollywood one.
- In The Sims 3, Hollywood-inspired Starlight Shores has a large sign of the town written in Simlish.
- John Seed of Far Cry 5 created one of these, and it simply says "Yes". There's even an unmarked quest that involves wiping it out, and he's not exactly happy if you do so.
- Cyberpunk 2077 has one for North Oak, a newly-built neighborhood of luxury villas, as revealed in a screenshot a month before release.
- In Renca, a county of Santiago, Chile, there was a Hollywood-like sign with the phrase "Renca la lleva◊" (lit. Renca rules), which provoked annoyance in part of the people of Santiago, but also being target of a lot of memes. Some time after being installed, the sign was damaged and eventually was retired from the hill.
- The City of South San Francisco erected a huge sign◊ saying "South San Francisco, The Industrial City" shortly after the Hollywood Sign was built
- In the Southwestern United States, nearly every town has a big letter for the town's initial on the mountain behind the city.
- Kelso, Washington, has a big K on the mountain within its city limits.
- Lake Farley Park in Milbank, South Dakota, has the message "You'll Like Milbank" in white letters on a hillside.