The Hollywood Sign is a sign on Mount Lee overlooking Hollywood, Los Angeles. It consists of 44-foot tall white letters spelling out HOLLYWOODnote . Because of the obvious glitz and glamour associated with the area, as well as its proximity to America's oldest studios, the sign is one of the most iconic symbols in American pop culture. Unsurprisingly, it has its own share of mock-ups and parodies, with fictional communities often planting their own white block-letter signs on their surrounding mountains. Bonus points if the sign overlooks a No Communities Were Harmed version of Hollywood.
When the sign is used to establish a setting as being in or around Hollywood, see Eiffel Tower Effect.
May overlap with Rushmore Refacement.
- In Inspector Chingum, the city of Shantiwood has a big sign reading "SHANTIWOOD" in the same style as the Hollywood sign.
- The trailer for The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part shows that the Bricksburg sign (which largely resembles the Hollywood sign) has been ripped apart during the apocalypse.
- The kingdom of Far Far Away in Shrek 2, which is patterned on Beverly Hills, has a Far Far Away sign on the hills overlooking the kingdom.
- Uglyville of UglyDolls has a plush version of its name on the side of the mountain that it is in.
- Between Two Ferns: The Movie: The Ferns backdrop is the word "Ferns" in the style of the Hollywood sign.
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights has a Hollywood-style sign saying "England".
- The Doc Hollywood poster places "DOC" in front of the Hollywood sign.
- In The Wizard of Speed and Time, the Wizard slams into the sign during his cross-country run, altering it to read "WHOLLY ODD."
- The album cover to Dr. Dre's "Compton" has a blocky white sign spelling "Compton" overlooking said city.
- The music video for Lil Nas X's "Holiday" song has Lil Nas riding on Santa's sleigh, passing over a "HOLIDAY" sign, stylized after the Hollywood Sign.
- The music video for Stone Sour's "Through Glass" has the band performing in front of the Hollywood sign, except spelled "Hollowood", mocking the hollow nature of Hollywood. The end of the video reveals that it's just a plywood set.
- Toon Town at Disney Theme Parks has a mock-up of the Hollywood sign, as white letters spelling "Toon Town" are placed on the surrounding "hills".
- The Amazing Frog?: The town of Swindon has a Hollywood-like sign declaring its name just outside it.
- Discworld II has a huge HOLY WOOD sign on a cliff face above (of course) Holy Wood.
- The default Garry's Mod map GM_Flatgrass has a Hollywood sign in the distance that reads "FLATTYWOOD".
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto V has Vinewood, an Expy of Hollywood itself, and has its own version of the Hollywood sign.
- Katamari Damacy: Starting with We ♥ Katamari, the Hollywood Sign is one of the world landmarks you can roll up when your katamari gets big enough. The letters are separate objects, and in some stages the letters are rearranged to spell other phrases, like "OH MY WOOD" (with an upside-down "W" serving as an "M").
- The mobile game Kim Kardashian: Hollywood has a giant KARDASHIAN sign replace the Hollywood one.
- In The Sims 3, Hollywood-inspired Starlight Shores has a large sign of the town written in Simlish.
- John Seed of Far Cry 5 created one of these, and it simply says "Yes". There's even an unmarked quest that involves wiping it out, and he's not exactly happy if you do so.
- Cyberpunk 2077 has one for North Oak, a newly-built neighborhood of luxury villas, as revealed in a screenshot a month before release.
- The Simpsons has a giant Springfield sign on the mountains. It plays a large part in the final scenes of The Simpsons Movie.
- BoJack Horseman is set in Hollywood, but after shenanigans in the seventh episode, the letter "D" is lost from the sign and the city is henceforth referred to as "Hollywoo". A replacement letter is put in to fix the sign in the last episode, but due to it coming from a recurring less-than-competent printing company, it's a "B", thus turning the city's name to "Hollywoob".
- In Renca, a county of Santiago, Chile, there was a Hollywood-like sign with the phrase "Renca la lleva◊" (lit. Renca rules), which provoked annoyance in part of the people of Santiago, but also being target of a lot of memes. Some time after being installed, the sign was damaged and eventually was retired from the hill.
- The City of South San Francisco erected a huge sign◊ saying "South San Francisco, The Industrial City" shortly after the Hollywood Sign was built
- In the southwestern United States, nearly every town has a big letter for the town's initial on the mountain behind the city.
- And in the Midwest, where there aren't any big hills to adorn with town names, practically every village big enough to have a municipal water tower paints its name on it.
- Kelso, Washington, has a big K on the mountain within its city limits.
- The original Hollywood sign is sometimes defaced. In 2017 it was defaced to say "HOLLYWeeD" and in 2021 six people were arrested for altering it to "HOLLYBOOB".