The Big Wedding is a 2013 Romantic Comedy, which is a Foreign Remake of a 2006 French comedy, Mon Frére Se Marie ("My Brother is Getting Married"). The film has a star studded cast including Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton, Katherine Heigl, Amanda Seyfried, Susan Sarandon, and Robin Williams.
The film follows a divorced couple (Deniro and Keaton) who are about to have their adopted son get married. However his biological mother is coming to the wedding, and she believes that his adopted parents are still married. As a result, the couple has to pretend that they're still married in order to keep her happy.
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Amicable Exes: Don and Ellie still get along fine with each other, mostly because they have 3 kids.
- Babies Make Everything Better: When Lyla tells her husband that she's pregnant, he immediately jumps back to her side, and they work out their differences.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Pretty much the main selling point of the film.
- Confess in Confidence: Several characters go into confession during one scene of the film.
- Naughty Under the Table: During the rehearsal dinner, Nuria gropes Jared under the table while everyone is eating. Ellie spots this and drags Nuria away to talk about manners.
- No Bisexuals: Muffin says that she has certain "fetishes" and then claims that she's slept with women. From that point on she's called a lesbian, despite the fact that she is married and has a child.
- Skinny Dipping: Nuria jumps naked into the lake to entice Jared.
- Skip to the End: Missy and Alejandro tell Father Moinighan to tell him to marry them quickly, because they're sick of the mess their families are making.
- Your Cheating Heart: Don cheated on Ellie with Bebe, which is one the main reasons for their divorce. Then he slept with Ellie while dating Bebe. Ellie also cheated on Don with Barry.