The Big Wedding is a 2013 Romantic Comedy, which is a Foreign Remake of a 2006 French comedy, Mon Frére Se Marie ("My Brother is Getting Married"). The film has a star studded cast including Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton, Katherine Heigl, Amanda Seyfried, Susan Sarandon, and Robin Williams.
The film follows a divorced couple (Deniro and Keaton) who are about to have their adopted son get married. However his biological mother is coming to the wedding, and she believes that his adopted parents are still married. As a result, the couple has to pretend that they're still married in order to keep her happy.
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Amicable Exes: Don and Ellie still get along fine with each other, mostly because they have 3 kids.
- Babies Make Everything Better: When Lyla tells her husband that she's pregnant, he immediately jumps back to her side, and they work out their differences.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Pretty much the main selling point of the film.
- Confess in Confidence: Several characters go into confession during one scene of the film.
- Happily Adopted: Alejandro was born in Columbia before being adopted by an American family. They deeply love him, and he feels the same about them. He has a loving relationship as well with his biological mother and sister now though.
- The Immodest Orgasm:
- Don and Ellie enjoy forty minutes of sex together, after which they both loudly orgasm, with the guests nearby hearing.
- Nuria and Jared also later get very loud as they climax, with other people hearing from outside.
- Interrupted Intimacy:
- Ellie interrupts Don as he's about to go eat Bebe out.
- Ellie stands up from the table, noticing while she does that Nuria is giving Jared a vigorous hand job under it. She drags Nuria off to give her a talk.
- Latin Lover: Nuria, a Colombian woman, is very beautiful and probably the most sexual person featured. She easily seduces Jared.
- Ms. Fanservice: Nuria is a gorgeous young woman who seduces Jared quickly, stripping off to skinny dip in front of him, giving him a hand job under the table and shown while wearing very little in her exercise clothes. He eagerly leaps at the chance to have sex with her when she propositions him later.
- Naughty Under the Table: During the rehearsal dinner, Nuria gropes Jared under the table while everyone is eating. Ellie spots this and drags Nuria away to talk about manners.
- No Bisexuals: Muffin says that she has certain "fetishes", then clarifies that she's attracted to women (Bebe and Ellie specifically here). From that point on she's called a lesbian, despite the fact that she is married and has a child. She doesn't indicate though that her husband is just cover, rather she's simply into women too (they're polyamorous from what's said).
- Not Blood Siblings: Nuria is Alejandro's biological sister. When she and his adopted brother Jared have a strong attraction for each other, she at one point objects given this on them having sex. He argues however that as they're not blood related there isn't a problem. They later do have sex together and Alejandro just rufely observes this as his siblings getting it on.
- Polyamory: Muffin and Barry turn out to have an open marriage, letting each other both have sex with other people. He had slept with Ellie, while she's seen other women.
- Skinny Dipping: Nuria jumps naked into the lake to entice Jared.
- Skip to the End: Missy and Alejandro tell Father Moinighan to marry them quickly, because they're sick of the mess their families are making.
- Toplessness from the Back: Nuria is shown naked this way before doing a swan dive into the lake, her bare backside and breasts being shown from the side for a moment beforehand.