Amanda Michelle Seyfried (born December 3, 1985 in Allentown, Pennsylvania) is an American actor and former child model. Before her movie career started in earnest she was known for her roles as murder victim Lily Kane in Veronica Mars and Sarah Henrickson on the HBO drama series Big Love. Filmwise, she has starred as Sophie Sheridan in the feature film Mamma Mia!, and Karen Smith in Mean Girls.
In 2009, she appeared in the supernatural horror comedy Jennifer's Body. To give you an idea of how warped that movie was, Seyfried was the Hollywood Homely best friend of Jennifer (played by Megan Fox).
In 2010, she played the title role in Chloe, by Atom Egoyan. 2011 saw her playing the lead in Catherine Hardwicke's Red Riding Hood and starring opposite Justin Timberlake in In Time. She's recently garnered critical acclaim for her role as Cosette in the film adaptation of Les Miserables. She has collaborated with Seth MacFarlane on comedies such as Ted 2 and A Million Ways to Die in the West. She's married to fellow actor Thomas Sadoski, giving birth to their first child, a daughter named Nina, in 2017.
Her films include:
- Mean Girls (2004) - Karen Smith
- Alpha Dog (2006) - Julie Beckley
- Mamma Mia! (2008) - Sophie Sheridan
- Jennifer's Body (2009) - Anita "Needy" Lesnicki
- Dear John (2010) - Savannah Lynn Curtis
- Chloe (2010) - Chloe Sweeney
- Letters to Juliet (2010) - Sophie
- Red Riding Hood (2011) - Valerie
- In Time (2011) - Sylvia Weis
- Gone (2012) - Jill Conway
- Les Misérables (2012) - Cosette
- Lovelace (2013)
- Epic (2013) - Mary Katherine (voice)
- A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) - Louise
- Ted 2 (2015) - Samantha Jackson
- Anon (2018) - The Girl
- First Reformed (2018) - Mary
- Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018) - Sophie Sheridan
- SCOOB! (2020) - Daphne Blake
- Mank (2020) - Marion Davies
Her television roles include:
- Veronica Mars - Lily Kane
- Big Love - Sarah Henrickson
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - Marie Tharp (voice)
- Twin Peaks - Rebecca "Becky" Burnett
- When You Wish Upon A Pickle - Natalie Neptune
Tropes associated with Seyfried's works:
- Advertised Extra: Despite prominent billing in Pan, she only appears briefly at the beginning and the end.
- Casting Gag: Her real life best friend Ashley Lilley has a cameo in Letters to Juliet as Patricia - who Sophie thinks is a romantic rival but is actually Charlie's cousin.
- Dawson Casting:
- Dumb Blonde: One of the most famous modern examples in Mean Girls.
- Fake Brit: Two characters who aren't technically English but she uses those accents for anyway - Mary in Pan and Cosette in Les Misérables (2012).
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: Her favourite role is Needy of Jennifer's Body.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her roles tend to be this.
- One Head Taller: While not tiny (she's 5' 3½") she is noticeably shorter than most of her onscreen love interests.
- Playing Against Type: She's normally cast as wholesome Girl Next Door types but...
- Pretty in Mink: She has worn a few furs in her roles, such as a white fox wrap in In Time, and a fur coat in Lovelace.
- Sci-Fi Bob Haircut: She has one (that's also red) in In Time.
- Star-Making Role: Mean Girls and Mamma Mia! both put her on the map.
- Teens Are Short: Being slightly shorter than average might be one of the reasons she is cast as younger than her real age so often. This was actually a plot point in Gone—Seyfried played a character much the same age as herself (i.e. mid-twenties) who at one point successfully blends in with a group of teenage girls while hiding from the cops.
- What Could Have Been:
- Mean Girls. Lindsay Lohan had thought about playing Regina, but chose to be Cady. Amanda was then cast as Karen. She was up for the role of Cady in
- She was offered the role of Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy but turned it down because she figured it would flop and didn't want the hit to her career. She admits she misjudged it.