Here is a list of tropes sorted under Blue Suede Heartstrings, now Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria.
To return to the Equestrian Pantheon's page, click here.
To return to the main character index, click here.
Blue Suede Heartstrings, the King of Music/Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, the Humble Sovereign
Portfolio: Music, Humility, Performance, Love
Rank: Divine (Tier IV/Greater)
"Bein' humble is good, but bein too humble hurts as bad as havin' too much pride." (as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria)
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, born Blue Suede Heartstrings (his entries here and here), is the joint-Church/Equestrian Alicorn god of Music, Humility, Performance, and Love, and an extremely famous and beloved celebrity icon whose reputation survived the Ages of Known History.
Blue Suede was born to mortal parents in southern Ponyland during the Second Age. His foalhood was marred by tragedy and hardship - he lost his older identical twin brother, Bossa Nova, to stillbirth (though Blue Suede would end up meeting him much later), and he narrowly survived an outbreak of Category 5 tornadoes that devastated his hometown. Despite this, Blue Suede grew up influenced by religion, which influenced his humility and inclination for music. His talents would be made known much later, when he revolutionized the 'Rock and Roll' and introduced it to the mainstream, creating one of the most recognizable celebrity icons of the Second Age.
Unfortunately, much of Blue Suede's career was tarnished by the decisions of his corrupt manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, who not only psychologically abused him, but worked him like a dog. Despite attempts to help by a then-pre-Ascendant Bossa Nova, this would continue until Blue Suede snapped from the mistreatment, causing him to furiously beat up his manager during an explosive argument. Traumatized, bitter, and disillusioned, Blue Suede intended to permanently retire from music and become a recluse, but ultimately changed his mind thanks to the efforts of his loved ones and Luminiferous, a friendly "devil in disguise". After holding a 'farewell' concert, Blue Suede became a globe-trotter and performed music for his fans on his own terms. His adventures, combined with Luminiferous' tutelage, would help him Ascend to godhood as an Alicorn.
However, while Blue Suede made many friends and did lots of good deeds throughout the Ages, life would wear down on him via loss and more abuse. His traumas, combined with his friends and family's ignorance, caused his mental state to deteriorate over time until he finally snapped. Blue Suede was narrowly saved from turning into a Fallen Alicorn, but he fell into a coma right after, requiring a group of friends to psychically enter his mind in order to wake him up. As it turned out, 'The Colonel' had taken root in Blue Suede's mind, embodying all his worst traits and memories, and would have succeeded in overtaking its host. Thanks to the encouragement of his friends, Blue Suede regained his pride and let go of the pain his abusers caused him, allowing him to kill 'The Colonel' for good.
Now finally free, Blue Suede was able to heal from his traumas. His road to recovery ended with him being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, after which he would fall in love and marry his long-time friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, the Bogolenya Deer-Draconequus god of Pride and Evil. He also became the father of Prince Perfect Tone, an infant Alicorn-Deer Draconequus, whom he is raising together with Stoltur. Last but not least, he finally changed his mind and joined the Church of the Stars after initially refusing to out of humility, much to the joy of his friends and students who are members of it.
Personality-wise, even before Ascending, Caerulus is known for being very tolerant, kind-hearted, and friendly. Due to being a devotee of the 'King in Heaven', he is very humble, and he is a good teacher to hundreds of students, many of whom Ascended to godhood thanks to his lessons. Caerulus' personality is what made him famous as a musician, and allowed his reputation to endure over three Ages. However, three Ages worth of abuse, personal abstinence from feeling pride, and other bad experiences caused him to become mentally unstable, making him repress the 'bad' parts of himself until he finally snapped. Fortunately for Caerulus, the vast number of friends he made, among them Prince Stoltur, would help him recover and accept the beneficial aspects of pride, which are important to a balanced and healthy well-being. With his coronation, Caerulus sees his new status as a Prince and member of the Equestrian Pantheon as a 'promise' to be a better stallion, and a 'responsibility' to uphold his promise to himself, his peers, and his subjects.
That being said, Caerulus is not to be messed with. While he still has his kindness, tolerance, and mercy, his experiences influenced him to be far more open with his anger, and far more willing to punish people of serious wrongdoing. Targets of his ire include abusers, racial bigots, and excessively prideful beings, who have been on the receiving end of some very nasty curses. He is also quite protective of those close to him, especially his husband and son, who both played a role in helping Caerulus build his self-esteem. Going after them is ill-advised.
As a 'prodigy deity', Caerulus is incredibly powerful, and learning under various deities made him even more so. As a god of Music, he can use both musical and sound magic. As a god of Humility, he has psychic powers that help him detect, predict, and encourage/discourage humility, as well as purification spells that cure people of pride-based curses. Ironically, his domain of Humility also gives him various humiliating curses and hexes. As a god of Performance, he is a skilled dancer and shapeshifter, with unique abilities like magically sensing the quality of performance arts, and magically generating props for performers to use. As a god of Philia Love, his empathy is enhanced, and he can see the bonds of friendship that tie people together, allowing him to repair or sever these bonds. Fittingly, he can empower himself and others through friendship, and punish those who abuse their friends and/or break their friendships for cruel, petty reasons with various curses.
Outside of his domains, Caerulus is a very talented and experienced musician who revolutionized the 'Rock and Roll' genre, and an experienced fighter due to being a war veteran from the "Second Maretian-Tellusian War". Notably, his combat skills are enhanced by his Performance domain. He is also capable of using his instrument, a heart-shaped magitech guitar, as a blunt-force weapon. Finally, Caerulus is psychically linked to his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, now Prince Rubeus Stella, allowing them to telepathically communicate and sense each other's emotions.
A kindhearted yet long-suffering god, Caerulus was ultimately able to persevere thanks to his friends and loved ones' support, and continued inspiring others well into the Fourth Age.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: He would personally intervene after the Dazzling Divas were subjected to a Curb-Stomp Battle by an divinely-empowered Ivory Towers, by turning the Dazzling Divas into his Clerics and granting them both upgraded forms and magic via his Music domain. This allowed the Magical Fillies to defeat Ivory Towers and her demonic forces, and perform greater feats in general whenever they call upon his power.
- 100% Adoration Rating: A large factor in Blue's enduring fame and popularity is that he's a very humble, polite, and friendly stallion who always tries to make time for his fans after concerts, whether just to talk or sign autographs. He's also very respectful to both Ponies of all three tribes and non-Equine sapient races. Because of this, it was joked during the early Second Age that Blue was so popular, he could stop squabbles and conflicts just by showing up. He also gained a significantly huge portion of War Rock's fanbase after the latter's death, as many people were disgusted with War Rock's narcissism and cruelty and thus see the humble and kind Blue as more worthy of adoration. That being said, Blue does have his enemies, such as tribalists and Autorists since his interracial (and tribal) friendliness offends them (the feeling is mutual, as Blue hates tribalism/racism in general), and War Rock loathed him with a passion because his gigantic ego couldn't take the fact that he might be surpassed by another musician.
- Abstract Apotheosis: After meeting Luminiferous, he would quit his job as a career musician and take up globe-trotting to perform on his own terms, with his then-coltfriend, Record Beat, accompanying him. The various good deeds Blue made during his adventures, including teaching people the dangers of unchecked pride, would eventually allow him to Ascend, turning Blue into the Alicorn god of Music and Humility. The fact that he managed to do this inspired Professor Bubbling Beaker to perform gruesome experiments on foals and teenagers to unlock the secrets of divine Ascension, which made Blue ashamed and angry.
- The Ace: He is noted to be a very talented and experienced musician who revolutionized 'Rock and Roll' as a mainstream genre In-Universe. His skill is described as versatile, as he can play both guitar and piano, and has experimented with various other genres such as jazz, gospel, and modern rock. This talent is what factored into his status as a 'prodigy deity' once he Ascended to godhood. It's deconstructed in that three Ages worth of abuse, loss, and bad experiences with pride gave him a plethora of untreated issues that caused him to become mentally unstable, later leading to his near-transformation into a Fallen Alicorn and subsequent coma. A group of friends was able to save him by psychically entering his mind and helping him defeat 'The Colonel', the entity responsible for his coma, but once he woke up, he was essentially a psychologically broken wreck. Then it's reconstructed as he received lots of support and psychiatric help, especially from Prince Stoltur, which allowed him to heal from his traumas and helped him accept that it's okay to feel pride in healthy ways. Once he fully recovered, he was crowned Prince and settled down in the Equestrian Pantheon, where he married Stoltur and started a family with him.
- Acid Reflux Nightmare: He started binge-eating as an unhealthy way to cope with "Colonel" Hollow Note's psychological abuse and his own increasing misery. Thankfully, he stopped after having a food-fueled nightmare about himself becoming grossly fat in his old age, leading to him becoming much healthier (and handsomer) than Elvis Presley, who didn't develop the same restraint and became really fat as a consequence.
- Actually Pretty Funny:
- In one interview, he bursts out laughing when Jade Shell asks if his husband Stoltur is "redundant" since he already has a a Glory Hound in Sunnynote . Stoltur is very unamused."Isn't Stoltur kinda like a Glory Hound already?" Jade Shell asked. So wouldn't that make him redundant?"
Caerulus started to speak, but stopped to consider his interviewer's words. Once he fully understood, he burst out laughing. Stoltur, however, glared, looking very affronted with both Jade Shell's questions and his husband's amused reaction.
"Hey! I am worth FAR more than a mere animal!" Stoltur huffed indignantly.
Still laughing, Caerulus pulled Stoltur closer with a foreleg. "Yeah, Ah know. But you an' Sunny helped me a lot, so Ah love ya both."
Stoltur grumbled, but he was mollified when Caerulus hugged the Deer Prince and planted a few kisses on his head.
- In another interview with Queen Krásná Tradice, Jade Shell asks Krásná if she created the Glory Hound species due to having similar chimeric animal traits as them. Krásná (as well as Blue Suede/Caerulus' medical Glory Hound, Sunny) is both stunned and confused, but Blue Suede/Caerulus himself can be heard laughing in the background.
- In one interview, he bursts out laughing when Jade Shell asks if his husband Stoltur is "redundant" since he already has a a Glory Hound in Sunnynote . Stoltur is very unamused.
- Adult Fear:
- Blue Suede would become the Sole Survivor of his family after reaching adulthood - first by losing Bossa Nova, his older twin brother, to still birth, then by losing his mother and father to illness and an automobile accident, respectively. Fortunately, his grief would be mitigated when he discovered that Bossa Nova is 'alive', and he was allowed to visit the spirits of his parents in the Heaven-Realms after he Ascended.
- In the early days of his music career, Blue Suede ended up with a manager who, despite helping him rise to stardom, turned out to be a sociopathic Control Freak who only saw him as a money-maker and became psychologically abusive the longer they remained together. Every time Blue Suede tried doing something different or finding some form of happiness, his manager would sabotage it to keep him under his control. Eventually, Blue Suede ended up hospitalized because he overworked himself to pay off his manager's gambling debts, and when he tried firing his manager, it only provoked a heated argument that pushed Blue Suede to the brink in the worst way possible.
- Blue Suede started dating Record Beat, a Unicorn stallion, while grieving his father's death. Unfortunately, Blue Suede's manager found out and proceeded to use his relationship (and the fact that Blue Suede's a Unicorn, which were seen 'mutants' at the time) to Blackmail him. When Blue Suede resisted, his manager 'punished' him by releasing the information to the public, turning both him and Record Beat into targets for homophobia and bigotry. Blue Suede broke up with Record Beat to protect him, but they were still attacked by homophobes.
- Many of Blue Suede's clashes with War Rock are this, as War Rock had become so hateful and narcissistic that he had no qualms over hurting Blue Suede's fans and loved ones just to get to him.
- Blue Suede's relationship with his oldest adoptive son, Crystal Clear, soured, largely thanks to War Rock engineering their falling-out so he could hurt his rival through Crystal Clear. Then Blue Suede is forced to fight Crystal Clear after the latter is made Brainwashed and Crazy by War Rock as punishment for betraying him. While he succeeds in snapping his son out of it, Crystal Clear is still arrested for assisting War Rock, leading to Blue Suede dragging him back home and lecturing him for his actions once his sentence is finished.
- One of Blue Suede's students, Healing Song, would have his home broken into by War Rock, who wanted to attack him for insulting him during their first meeting. Fortunately, Healing Song was able to distract War Rock with a "The Reason You Suck" Speech, allowing Blue Suede to drive him off, but the incident would lead to Healing Song secretly developing a fear of becoming like War Rock if he used his power to attack people instead of helping them.
- Blue Suede's status as an Alicorn leads to him outliving many of his mortal friends and family, including The Beatles, his first wife Venerable Grace, and his first husband Record Beat. As he would note to High Queen Arvan three Ages later, it hurts to remember his loved ones even after thousands of years passed, and it would also hurt every time his children leave him.
- At one point, Blue Suede learned his heroic deeds inspired Professor Bubbling Beaker to perform gruesome experiments on innocent Pony foals and teenagers in order to unlock the secrets of Ascension. Understandably, Blue Suede reacted with shame and anger knowing that his Ascension led to so many deaths.
- Blue Suede learns during a conversation about relationship advice that his godson, Prince Shamrock Bloom, was pressured by his friends to find a romantic partner for months on the reasoning that he's "missing out on the good stuff", despite knowing he's asexual/aromantic. This pisses off Blue Suede so much that he decides to go "have a nice, long talk" with Shamrock's friends for their insensitivity.
- Both Blue Suede and his friend, Clover Bloom, would gradually discover that Shamrock was being exploited by an abusive ballet manager, as Shamrock had become progressively miserable over time. This hits Blue Suede especially hard since he himself was abused by his own manager once. Once they had proof, Blue and Clover would storm the manager's office in a fury on Shamrock's behalf and "lay into him" for over an hour for his actions.
- Despite being abused by many unsavory individuals and carrying trauma from that for three Ages, Blue Suede refused to visit a therapist or confess his problems to anyone - the last time he did so, his abusive manager turned his therapist into a Yes-Man who reported everything Blue Suede said to him, including his own deepest secrets and fears, giving his manager yet another opportunity to control him. Predictably, this leads to his mental health deteriorating, especially with his own family and friends contributing to it in some way, until he snapped and suffered an emotional breakdown after being confronted on his status.
- After waking up from his Angst Coma, Blue Suede racked himself with worry and fear over the possibility that he may have imparted toxic and hypocritical behaviors onto his many students. Given how he acted while his mental state deteriorated before that, it's understandable. Said students would assure him that he didn't, and that he treated all of them exceptionally well.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: While they're having missionary sex, he receives one from Stoltur, who kisses him on the forehead where his Alicorn horn had been (Caerulus had turned himself into an Earth Pony for the occasion).
- Affectionate Nickname: Both on the giving and receiving ends.
- Many of his friends and family call him "Blue", even after becoming Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria. Sola Mors, his younger adoptive sister, calls him "Bluey".
- He calls his godson, Prince Shamrock Bloom, "Rocky". He also calls his honorary 'nephew', Prince Maestro, "Lil' Maestro".
- He calls his first wife, Venerable Grace, "Gracey", even after their divorce. This is because he sees her as his sister.
- He calls Prince Stoltur, his long-time friend and eventual husband, "Stolts".
- He calls his former students, Princess Winter Opera and Prince Healing Song, "Lil' Winny" and "Healey", respectively.
- This also applies to his children, adopted or otherwise: He calls his infant son Prince Perfect Tone "Tony", while his oldest adoptive son, Prince Crystal Clear, is called "Cryssie".
- The Ageless: By virtue of being an Alicorn, he is this. He is immune to aging, and because deities in the Codexverse get Stronger with Age and are Made of Magic, he's much harder to kill. As a result, he remains forever in his prime. Of course, cutting down on his Big Eater habits significantly helped with his appearance, too.
- All-Loving Hero: He's a kind, friendly, and polite stallion, which became a huge reason why he was such a popular celebrity in the Second Age. After the Second Age ended, he proceeded to befriend mortals and deities from all races, including evil deities like Vicearch Iniquitous.
- However, it's gradually deconstructed - as it turns out, being a truly all-loving hero is actually impossible to achieve for anyone, even for someone like Blue Suede. While he is genuinely nice, he is still capable of showing hate, anger, and resentment like any other creature. He's also a Shell-Shocked Veteran and a victim of psychological abuse, and past experiences with maliciously prideful people like War Rock and the Elternteil Deer Pantheon caused him to repress all of his traumas and flaws, including his pride, out of fear of turning out like them. Not only that, because his abusive manager turned the last therapist he sought into his personal Yes-Man, he is scared of burdening others with his problems and being subjected to more abuse if he opens up. As the Elternteil Deer Pantheon shows, there are those who hate him on principle, spurring them to hurt him when he tries to help. And lastly, while he genuinely likes helping others, his desire to help also made people dependent on him and hold him to unrealistic standards. All this led to him hating both himself for being a Hypocrite and others for abusing him yet expecting so much from him, which eventually causes him to snap.
- It's eventually reconstructed when, following his emotional breakdown, Blue Suede is able to recover psychologically thanks to everyone he helped returning the favor during his Darkest Hour, which was made possible by Prince Sermo rallying everyone by reminding them of Blue Suede's deeds. During his recovery, Blue Suede gradually accepts his repressed flaws and learns that it's okay to feel emotions like pride, hate, and anger, as long as they are regulated and applied constructively. He also realizes that by constantly globe-trotting, he's spreading himself too thin and running away from certain aspets of himself that he was previously scared of. Blue Suede chooses to settle down in the Equestrian Pantheon and become a Prince under a new name, but while he is a beloved Reasonable Authority Figure, he recognizes some people need to be punished for wrongdoing and has become more willing to do so. Also, it's noted that he doesn't entirely devote himself to his royal duties, as he married Prince Stoltur Skjöldur and had a son with him, and he does takes breaks every once in a while.
- All Your Powers Combined: As an Alicorn god, he has the combined magics of all mortal Pony tribes, including Musical Ponies and Sea Ponies. This factors into his true appearance, where he has all the physical traits of all existing Pony tribes, including Flutter Pony wings.
- Always Identical Twins: He and his older brother, Bossa Nova Heartstrings, are identical twins, so they look exactly the same except for a few differences - Blue Suede's mane, tail, and wing gradients are dark blue, and he has a Cutie Mark depicting a red, heart-shaped electric guitar with a blue musical halo and and white wings. Meanwhile, Bossa Nova's mane, tail, and wing gradients are dark red, and his Cutie Mark depicting a skull-shaped guitar with a red musical halo and black wings. The fact that they're identical twins initially caused Temnobog to assume that they were magically separated in the womb by their own father until they confirmed that no, they were just born that way.
- Always Someone Better: Deconstructed. His status as one of Ponyland's greatest musicians would cause War Rock to resent and eventually hate him, with his Ascension to godhood being the last straw that pushed War Rock into full-blown villainy. While he saw War Rock as a symbol of everything he hated about the music industry, he genuinely respected War Rock's muiscal talent and was saddened over not being able to help his rival change his ways. His constant clashes with War Rock also traumatized him into repressing his own pride, knowing pride was War Rock's downfall and fearing the possibility of becoming like him.
- Amicable Exes: What he and his first wife, Venerable Grace Heartstrings, became after their divorce. Blue Suede loved Record Beat and only saw 'Gracey' as his sister. Venerable Grace knew how miserable he was due to "Colonel" Hollow Note's abuse and being trapped in a loveless Arranged Marriage, so she allowed the divorce to happen so Blue Suede can be with someone he truly loves. Despite the divorce, they remained close friends, and Blue Suede was devastated when he ended up outliving her thanks to his Ascendant divinity.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Like Elvis, he's the younger of identical twins, but his older brother, Bossa Nova, came out stillborn. While it's believed In-Universe the loss affected him in some way, he would later discover that Bossa Nova is technically 'alive', but working as a Psychopomp under his adoptive father, Gavisus Manes, at the time. The discovery shocked him so much that he fainted. That being said, he does sympathize with those who lost family members, such as Miracle Hymn, Queen Krásná Tradice, and Prince Written Word.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: He's an Alicorn god who embodies Music, Humility, Performance, and Love. In regards to his Love domain, he specifically embodies Philia Love, known as the love shared between friends.
- Apologises a Lot: After defeating 'The Colonel' and waking up from his Angst Coma, he would start apologizing frequently for things he did or didn't do. It's justified as he suffered from three Ages worth of untreated psychological issues that he desperately tried to repress. Once he woke up and said issues were brought to the forefront, with full knowledge of his mistakes and near-transformation into a Fallen Alicorn, he was left so broken that he developed a Guilt Complex over it. Fortunately, his friends and loved ones, as well as receiving psychiatric help, would help him break out of it.
- Armor-Piercing Question: During a fight with Hrůza, the Draconequus goddess of Mass Hysteria and Fear, he would ask her a series of these regarding Ispita's upbringing, getting under Hrůza's skin and ultimately revealing her to be nothing more than an emotionally abused child who desperately wants her mother's approval because she is treated as worthless for not being a Reality Warper like her biological siblings. Hrůza doesn't take this well at all.Blue Suede Heartstrings: If your mother really cared, would you keep bendin' yourself over backwards just to please her, or get her attention at all? Would you keep defendin' her and tellin' yourself she still loved you even though she treats you like trash for not bein' what she wanted?
High Duchess Hrůza: SHUT UP!!!
- Armor-Piercing Attack: By manifesting his sound magic as pure magical vibrations, he can weaken/shatter armor by matching its vibration frequencies.
- Armor-Piercing Response:
- After High Queen Arvan rants to him about not knowing what it's like to lose children and live with the guilt of not being able to prevent that loss, Blue replies that he in fact does know what she's talking about. This catches Arvan completely off-guard, and kicks off a gradual process of Heel Realization as she starts rethinking her beliefs and toxic, hypocritical treatment of her own children.High Queen Arvan: Ever since Grogar encroached himself upon our lands, THOUSANDS of my people died at his hooves! Even my own divine children were vulnerable to his foul magic! Now I have to LIVE with the fact that no matter what I did, NOTHING could replace them! NOTHING could bring them back! You cannot fathom how much I've MOURNED, interloper! What thousands of years of grief has DONE to me!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: You think I don't know, but... I do, ma'am.
High Queen Arvan: ...Wha-What?
- After Blue Suede succeeds in tracking down a suicidal Prince Shamrock, Shamrock laments to his godfather about how he's lost everything, and that he's too cowardly to even take his own life despite his overwhelming grief and bitterness towards it all. It takes Blue asking Shamrock if he haven't lost him yet for his godson to break down crying in his forelegs.Prince Shamrock: Look at me... I... I'm too much of a coward to even...to even...
Blue Suede Heartstrings: You aren't a coward. You're brave. Quitting is easy, living? Livin' is harder than dyin'.
Prince Shamrock: W-Why? W-Why do I lose everything?
Blue Suede Heartstrings: You haven't lost me yet, have you?
- After High Queen Arvan rants to him about not knowing what it's like to lose children and live with the guilt of not being able to prevent that loss, Blue replies that he in fact does know what she's talking about. This catches Arvan completely off-guard, and kicks off a gradual process of Heel Realization as she starts rethinking her beliefs and toxic, hypocritical treatment of her own children.
- Awesome McCoolname:
- "Blue Suede Heartstrings" is a pretty cool name for an Alicorn god who embodies Music and is based on Elvis Presley.
- His new Alicorn name, 'Caerulus Melodia Equestria', is an equally cool name that has elements of his original name, but symbolizes how much he had changed since Ascending to godhood and recovering from his psychological issues.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: After defeating 'The Colonel' that was causing his Angst Coma, learning extensively about himself and his domains, and making a full psychological recovery, he decided to stop globe-trotting and settle down in the Equestrian Pantheon. Princess Twilight/Amicitia conducts a divine coronation where Blue Suede and his twin brother, Bossa Nova, are crowned as Princes, and during the coronation, Blue Suede gives a speech to Twilight/Amicitia:Blue Suede Heartstrings: When Ah became a wanderer, Ah thought Ah could help the world by... by teachin' ev'ry-creature humility. Ah mean, that's what Ah embody, right? Ah thought doin' that is what the King in Heaven would've wanted. But over time... mah wanderin' became more than just teachin'. Ah was really lookin' fer excuses to keep mahself on the low, 'cause Ah was scared. Ah was scared that if Ah showed even just a bit of pride, Ah'll become no better than those yellow-bellied money-suckers who abused and nearly ruined me in the Second Age. Why else d'ya think Ah hated bein' called the 'King of Music'?
But the thing is... Ah was so bent on helpin' ev'ry-creature that Ah was ignorin' the one creature that needed it most: Mahself. Ah needed pride, an' without it, Ah was destroyin' mahself in ways Ah couldn't have foreseen. If it weren't fer Stoltur, mah brother, mah friends, mah loved ones, and ev'ry-creature Ah met, Ah would've fallen, or worse. From now on, that'll have ta change. No more wanderin'. No more runnin' away from mahself. By today, Ah'm stayin' right here, with creatures Ah can count on. If Ah can focus on one place, helpin' creatures become kinder a little at a time... well, Ah can help the world better that way.
- Badass Baritone: He's described by his first entry as having a deep yet smooth and pleasant-sounding singing voice, even in his mortal forms. He's also a powerful Alicorn god, a talented musician, and a former soldier who fought in the "Second Maretian-Tellusian War".
- Badass Family: He's the biological/adoptive father and founding patriarch of the Caerulidae, whose members consist of his Ascendant surviving children. So far, the Caerulidae's only known members are Prince Crystal Clear, who is also the oldest via adoption, and Prince Perfect Tone, the youngest son and child (though he's too young to fight due to being a baby).
- The Beard: In the Second Age, he initially dated a unicorn stallion and DJ named Record Beat, but "Colonel" Hollow Note found out and tried blackmailing Blue Suede into compliance. When Blue Suede resisted, Hollow Note released information about his homosexual relationship with Record Beat to the public as punishment, causing both Blue Suede and Record Beat to become targets of public ire and disgust, and forcing Blue Suede to break up with his coltfriend to protect him. He then married Venerable Grace Heartstrings on Hollow Note's advice to salvage his reputation and make it appear like he went through a 'phase', but he never loved Venerable Grace and felt miserable throughout their entire marriage, even though he felt bad about it. After Hollow Note's beatdown and conviction, though, Venerable Grace divorced Blue Suede so he can be with Record Beat, resulting in Blue Suede and Record Beat getting back together again.
- Bear Hug: At one point, to his dismay, he was given a sudden 'bear hug' by Healing Song, who was absolutely ecstatic over his mentor finally joining the Church of the Stars following his psychological recovery.Prince Healing Song: BEST. DAY. EVER!
- Beauty Equals Goodness: His entry describes him as being incredibly handsome, both as an Alicorn and as a mortal unicorn. The various mortal forms he would wear after Ascending are also handsome by the standards of the races they're based on. He's also an incredibly humble and compassionate individual who genuinely loves his fans and helps redeem prideful individuals by promoting Humility in them. After overcoming his traumas and flaws, becoming a Prince, and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, he turned into a Reasonable Authority Figure.
- Berserk Button: Like Elvis himself, he dislikes being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]". Because he was raised by religious parents, Blue believes in the "King in Heaven" (speculated to be the god Equus) that's far more deserving of his titles. He also doesn't see himself as "the King of Rock and Roll" because - as far as he's concerned, he merely took inspiration from Zebra music and believes there are many Zebra musicians who could sing better than him, such as Black Domino, whom Blue idolized. However, it's subverted in that he's generally nice about it and will kindly remind people that he isn't "the King" whenever they call or refer to him by his title. Then it's averted when he drops his title and replaces it with "the Humble Sovereign" upon becoming an Alicorn Prince.
- Belief Makes You Stupid: Part of the reason why he doesn't want to be worshiped is because he doesn't want people to blindly put him on a pedestal without knowing what he's truly like, giving him immeasurable amounts of stress trying to live up to people's expectations and causing heartbreak for both parties. In regards to the Blue Bards, his mortal followers, he encourages them to approach him directly and see him as a friend and teacher.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Despite being the greatest musician of the Second Age, he's a very nice, humble, and tolerant stallion, which made him extremely popular. He's also an Alicorn 'prodigy' and a war veteran from the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War', with Fantastic Racism being one of the few things he truly hates. It's gradually deconstructed - he secretly suffered from PTSD and other psychological issues that stemmed from being abused by various individuals, which he repressed and kept hidden from everyone. When confronted on it by his friends/family, he snaps and very nearly transforms into a Fallen Alicorn, with his repressed trauma and flaws being represented by his Enemy Within, 'The Colonel'. It's reconstructed once he defeats 'The Colonel' and receives the help he desperately needed, which leads to him to settling down in the Equestrian Pantheon with his husband, Prince Stoltur after his recovery. He has since become a Reasonable Authority Figure, but is The Dreaded among many racial/tribal supremacy groups, who have received some very nasty curses from him as punishment for their crimes.
- Big Brother Mentor: Played with. As identical twin brothers, he's only marginally younger than Bossa Nova biologically, but after they Ascended, he became marginally 'older' by divine standards because he Ascended first with Bossa Nova following shortly after. He also tutored Bossa Nova in expanding his Music domain, leading to his brother becoming more powerful than before despite not being a 'prodigy deity' himself.
- Big Damn Heroes:
- Blue Suede would arrive just in time to lend aid just as the Dazzling Divas were on the verge of being defeated by villainous Elephant corporate, Ivory Towers, who became a Cleric of Avarita, the Tyrannos god of Greed, through a second Deal with the Devil. His intervention turned the Dazzling Divas into his Clerics, granting them upgraded uniforms and stronger magic that allowed them to defeat both Ivory Towers and the Greed demon, Don'yoku.
- In one incident, Blue Suede's then-mortal student, Healing Song, was attacked by his rival, War Rock, who tried pulling a Revenge by Proxy by hurting Blue through his friends. Fortunately, Healing Song refused to back down and managed to stall War Rock with a scathing "The Reason You Suck" Speech, distracting his attacker long enough for Blue to arrive and drive War Rock away.
- Big Eater: Justified and deconstructed. He had an infamously huge appetite when was a mortal, which was believed In-Universe to have stemmed from his impoverished foalhood. But once he gets hit hard with various personal tragedies/hardships, including his parents' deaths and his corrupt manager's psychological abuse, he started binge-eating as an unhealthy way to cope with it all. Fortunately, he stopped after having a food-fueled nightmare about himself becoming grossly fat in his old age, forcing him to see that he's destroying himself. Hilariously, some people in the Second Age have theorized him In-Universe to be a former god who was a Big Eater, constantly devouring populated worlds ala Galactus until he was turned into an amnesiac mortal as punishment.
- Big Good: Like Luminiferous, he's a globe-trotter who got involved in many major events and served as a Mentor Archetype for many heroes and Ascendant deities. However, it's deconstructed since he repressed his traumas and flaws for three ages, which eventually catch up to him in the Fourth Age and cause him to nearly turn himself into a Fallen Alicorn. While the transformation is averted, he falls into an Angst Coma shortly after, taking Bossa Nova with him. His friends enter a Battle in the Center of the Mind with 'The Colonel' to save him and his brother, and once 'The Colonel' is killed, he wakes up to find everyone willing to help him recover. Then it's reconstructed when he learns and accepts it's okay to feel healthy pride, and joins the Equestrian Pantheon after making a full psychological recovery. His status as a Big Good is further cemented once he joins the Church of the Stars, which is collectively a Big Good among divine pantheons.
- Big Little Brother: Downplayed. Due to being identical twins, he's marginally younger than Bossa Nova, his brother, and is about the same height as he is. However, as deities, he's now the "older" brother because he Ascended first while Bossa Nova is 'younger' because he Ascended shortly after. Hilariously, Bossa Nova didn't take this well when he found out, but gradually accepted it.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: In-Universe. According to Gold Lemon, he recorded the song, "(You're the) Devil in Disguise", as a jab towards his psychologically abusive and controlling manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note.
- Blue Is Heroic: Punny Name aside, he has dark blue hair, and is named after a color and a song (specifically, "Blue Suede Shoes"). After Ascending, his Cutie Mark gained a halo made of light blue music notes, and his hair is described as being made of energy soundwaves with light blue music bars and notes running through them. He's also a heroic, humble, and kind-hearted stallion who seeks to promote Humility in both mortal and divine sapientkind.
- Bonding over Missing Parents:
- His entry notes that he had been reportedly seen talking with those who lost beloved family members like he did, such as Prince Written Word from the Terran Empire. Like Blue, Written Word also lost his mother, though to old age in his case, and her death left a profound effect on him that he eventually recovered from.
- He understands Miracle Hymn's grief over losing both of her parents to Ivory Towers' demonic forces at a young age, having gone through depression and trauma from losing his own parents in the early Second Age. Because of this, he spends enough time with her that he essentially became her foster father.
- During his trial in the Elternteil Deer Pantheon's divine realm, he psychically sensed High Queen Arvan's grief and empathized with her trauma over losing many of her children to the First-Age Evil Sorcerer, Grogar I. It's noted that his genuine compassion caught Arvan off-guard, having no one but her own family truly connect with her before, and it's rumored that this led to her sympathizing with the abused Kunnusta of the Shadowed Ones. However, this was interpreted as Blue "seducing" Arvan by the other racist and xenophobic Elternteil Deer deities, especially King Aspen, who would've harshly punished Blue for his kindness had Belyolen not intervened at that moment.
- Ultimately, his experience with battling depression over his parents' deaths later allowed him to help his godson, Prince Shamrock Bloom, deal with his own grief over losing his entire family to old age after the latter Ascended to Alicornhood in the Second Age.
- He reached out to Gladstone and helped him deal with his own feelings of depression and grief over losing his parents to Cutie Pox centuries ago, having gone through the same thing as a mortal. This is what partially allowed Gladstone to recover from his traumas regarding Sunnytown.
- Break the Believer: Double-subverted.
- After witnessing the flaws of many gods and goddesses over the course of three Ages since his Ascension, Blue Suede realized the "King in Heaven" he worshiped is likely just as flawed. Despite this, he soon realized that (in his words) being born good, bad, and/or in-between is "just how the world is". As he explains to Prince Written Word, even deities have the power to improve themselves, and if someone like the "King in Heaven" can do that, then he has hope that he can still remain humble even when he is tempted with sin.
- However, his second entry reveals that despite his faith and devotion, Blue Suede went through some rough patches where he seriously doubted his ability to follow the 'King in Heaven''s teachings, especially when his various flaws and traumas became increasingly harder to ignore. After his psychological breakdown, he felt extremely depressed over the thought that he made himself irredeemable and unforgivable in the eyes of the King. Thankfully, Blue Suede's family, friends, and loved ones were able to help him recover, in the process restoring his faith.
- Break the Haughty: Invoked.
- As the Alicorn god of Humility, he seeks to redeem prideful individuals by showing them the consequences of their behavior, and teaching them the value of humility. His first entry notes that one way he can invoke this is by "emotion-bombing" his targets with the pain they had inflicted on others with their arrogance, though he only does this if his targets need a little more convincing to change their ways and generally doesn't like hurting people like that.
- Once he recovers from his psychological issues, though, he starts being more proactive about teaching prideful people a lesson. One of the things he did was learn under various Karma and/or Pranks deities like Pakak, who taught him many curses and hexes that invoke Karmic Transformations depending on how severe a person(s)' crimes are. Some transformations involved people's heads being turned into clucking rooster heads for arrogance and/or spreading lies, while others are similar to what Pakak did to Sunnytown. Most of his targets are usually Tribalists, Autorists, and corrupt nobles, but he has humiliated deities as well, especially traditionalist ones who tried dictating how he should act according to their standards; one incident had him moon a deity for making him speak in a proper and refined way that's befitting of an ancient Alicorn god. Both his brother and his friends who were nearby collapsed into laughter.Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: ...Ah think Ah'll decide fer myself how Ah should speak, thank ya very much.
- Break Them by Talking: Defied and averted. Hollow Note attempts to browbeat Blue Suede into compliance while the latter's visiting his damned shade Malus Manes' Hell-Realms... only for Blue Suede to throw his manager's words back into his face by giving the latter a "The Reason You Suck" Speech, pointing out that Hollow Note's success depended entirely on that of his client's. Without Blue Suede, he's reduced to a "sad, pathetic piece a' horse-shit" who's rotting alone in Hell for all the horrible things he did in life. Hollow Note is left frothing with rage by the time Blue Suede literally and figuratively leaves him for good.
- Broken Ace: Despite his musical talent, accomplishments, and compassionate nature, Blue Suede harbored three Ages worth of untreated trauma and other issues that he deeply repressed, and hated himself for not practicing what the 'King in Heaven' preached. He also resented everyone for hurting him even indirectly, holding him to ridiculous standards, and/or expecting him to solve all their problems. Even Blue Suede's own brother, Bossa Nova, whom he shares a spiritual bond with, did not know of his issues because Blue Suede was able to hide them so well. Things come to a head when he snaps and suffers an emotional breakdown, nearly transforming himself into a Fallen Alicorn, only to fall into an Angst Coma once the transformation is stopped. Thankfully, his friends and loved ones work to save him from himself, and after Blue Suede wakes up, everyone he helped over the centuries pitches in to help him recover psychologically. Thanks to them, Blue Suede finally and properly heals, which allows him to become The Ace again and be more or less at peace with himself.
- Broken Pedestal: On the receiving end.
- Thanks to his mother's influence, Blue Goldstone idolized Blue Suede from when he was very young, and this inspired him to become a humble Greaser and take up drumming as his occupation. However, Gold would become incredibly disillusioned after Blue Suede turned out to be flawed like everyone else, especially after the latter fell in love with a stallion and 'disappeared' after holding a farewell concert for his fans. This, combined with his birth father's sudden death in a grocery store robbery and his stepfather's lack of sympathy, turned Gold into a bitter, apathetic, withdrawn, and depressed person. But after he dies in a gang murder and meets with his idol in the Heaven-Realms years later, Gold realizes the attitudes he held are extremely homophobic and apologizes to Blue Suede for reacting the way he did. This leads to a Rebuilt Pedestal once they reconcile.
- Princess Winter Opera was devastated upon learning that Blue Suede had been suppressing his own traumas and negative emotions for three Ages, with no one knowing about it until it was nearly too late and he almost turned into a Fallen Alicorn. She did put her own feelings aside to help Blue Suede as she acknowledged her mentor desperately needed help, but afterwards, she seeks out Mentálne to help deal with her feelings of guilt over ignoring Blue Suede's own problems. However, they still stayed good friends, and after Blue Suede makes a full psychological recovery and joins the Equestrian Pantheon as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, Winter Opera has dedicated herself to protecting and supporting her mentor the same way he did her.
- Bullying the Dragon: He was on the receiving end of this from his rival, War Rock, who frequently clashed with him and tried to kill him despite knowing he had already Ascended to godhood at this point. It's justified as War Rock became so arrogant that Blue's defeat and death is all that mattered to him, which blinded him to just how powerful his rival became since Ascending. This, of course, led to Blue defeating him easily more than once since being an Alicorn god gave him a huge advantage.
- But Not Too Black: In-Universe example. It's implied that part of the reason why Blue earned his title as "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" in the Second Age is because he's a unicorn, while someone like Black Domino, a fellow musician, got overlooked because he's a Zebra. This pissed off Blue something fierce, as he idolized Black Domino and his music, and sees the latter as the far better singer compared to himself.
- Celebrity Is Overrated: He experienced this as a mortal during his music career. In his youth, his prodigious talent in music led to him being discovered by "Colonel" Hollow Note, who turned him into the biggest star in Ponyland. But then his life took a downturn thanks to various tragedies, such as his parents' deaths, fighting in a war, and years of being psychologically abused and gaslit by Hollow Note, who wanted to control him. The last straw was being hospitalized for overworking himself; when he learned Hollow Note didn't once care for his well-being and tried firing his manager, a heated argument ensued, leading to him snapping and beating up Hollow Note in a rage. Out of guilt, he talked the police into arresting him, but after Luminiferous bailed him out, he became a reclusive shut-in, intending to stay that way for the rest of his life. Fortunately, the efforts of his first wife Venerable Grace and Luminferous motivated him to take up globe-trotting and perform music on his own terms, leading to him eventually becoming an Alicorn god through his good deeds.
- Celebrity Survivor: He had survived two cataclysmic events that ended two Known Ages, such as the "Void Aeon", as well as the Third Age cataclysm that also destroyed the musical island archipelago of Mousikós. It's implied that he participated in and survived other events like the Maretian Wars (one of which he was drafted by the military to serve in) and the "Winter Wedding Crisis"... to say nothing of the tornado outbreak that struck and devastated southern Ponyland, which he and his family narrowly survived when he was just one-year-old.
- Chastity Couple:
- Justified with him and Venerable Grace, his first wife. Blue Suede's First Love was a unicorn stallion named Record Beat, but gay relationships in Ponyland at the time were strictly taboo, so he was forced to marry a mare by his corrupt manager to convince everyone he went through a 'phase' after they reacted with disgust. However, he only saw Venerable Grace as a sister and treated her like such, even though he felt guilty for involving her in his personal affairs and not being the husband she deserved. Venerable Grace knew how miserable Blue Suede was and chose to divorce him so he can be with Record Beat.
- Justified with some of his other relationships. According to Blue Suede, some of his partners were asexual and wanted a romantic relationship without sex, others loved both romance and sex, while a few were completely asexual/aromantic and just wanted to be friends. This allowed Blue to learn how to approach and respect those with different sexual orientations, and in turn gave him a lot of knowledge and experience regarding various types of relationships, which he used to help his godson, Prince Shamrock Bloom, come to terms with his own Asexuality.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (to Prince Shamrock) ...Rocky, I've dated both mares and stallions, and not all of them are the same. Many did wanna be romantic, yes, but some didn't like sex. They just wanted to hug and cuddle and basically do anything that didn't involve sex. Others liked big romantic gestures and receiving gifts. And some... well, they're like you, Rocky. They dated me and found they just wanna be friends, so we became friends instead. If you meet someone who loves you and you just wanna be friends with them, talk to them. Make your mind and feelings known. I'll bet you that nine outta ten, they'll understand and do what you ask.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Justified. He grew up during the Second Age in a time where being a "tail-chaser" was the norm for colts and stallions, so naturally, this rubbed off on him and gave him flirting tendencies. However, his religious upbringing taught him the value of humility, and it influenced him later on to never go beyond simple flirting, and respect those who are in established relationships and/or are married. He even had a few past relationships with both mares and stallions where he was completely faithful and loving, and never forgot his partners' names and faces long after they died.
- Close to Home: He has a few triggers that genuinely set him off, mainly due to personal experiences that led to the development of said triggers.
- Blue Suede hates tribalism/racism, having grown up in early southern Ponyland during a time where it was heavily encouraged and accepted. Much of it stems from the brutal lynching of an teenage Zebra colt, Garden Spade, which enraged Blue Suede so much that he publicly lambasted both the killers and the judges who let them go out of racism. His own friendliness towards people of different Pony tribes and non-Equine races also got him slandered and even attacked by racial/tribal supremacists in the Fourth Age. Because of this, he sees tribalist/racist behavior as stupid and childish, and gets really upset when people display it around him and others. That being said, Blue Suede is willing to help bigots see the error of their ways unless proven they're unwilling to change otherwise.
- Blue Suede hates it when music is "cheapened", as songs made purely for profit sound flat and dead, with absolutely nothing enjoyable about them at all. In Blue's opinion, what makes music "good" is if the creators put all of their heart and soul into their work. This came from his own experiences, where an increasingly corrupt Second-Age music industry influenced him from making music solely because he enjoyed it to making music just to earn some cash, and he himself was trapped under the hoof of an exploitative record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note (until Bossa Nova's actions unwittingly set him free, that is).
- Blue Suede hates exploitative and abusive managers, which stems from his experiences with his Second Age manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note. Notably, he had Svengallop blacklisted from the entire music industry for exploiting Coloratura/Rara, and joined Clover Bloom in chewing out Shamrock's corrupt ballet manager for exploiting Shamrock's easily frightened nature. It's later deconstructed in that his experiences left him reluctant to forgive Hollow Note and distrustful of all managers, including good managers, something Blue secretly hates himself for since he always preached forgiveness to others. It isn't until he starts taking psychiatric sessions with Mentálne and receives help from Moon Ray Vaughoof that he truly forgives Hollow Note, giving him a significant measure of peace. Confronting Hollow Note in the Hell-Realms helped, too.
- He also hates people who misuse music as a tool for evil, which his entry notes is a surefire way to get him angry. Blue ended up fiercely opposing High Duchess Hrůza, the divine Draconequus goddess of Mass Hysteria and Fear and Ispita's second daughter, during the "Temptation Unbound" conflict because she killed and trapped thousands of innocent people with her fear-inspired music. However, he began to pity Hrůza after learning of her emotionally abusive upbringing by Ispita.
- As shown with his conversation with the Poenan goddess Lamperielpida, he hates people who take the meaning of religious faith and twist it for nefarious ends. This is because, as a foal, he was taught to follow the "King in Heaven" and emulate his virtuous traits, such as humility and kindness to all. One of the main issues he has with Lamperielpida and the faith she preaches is that it's no different than the tribalists of the Second Age - they both go after certain people they don't like and do horrible things to them, all while deluding themselves that they're doing the right thing, and they get "uppity" when called out on their actions. By encouraging her peers and followers to believe that their actions were for a greater good, she enabled worst traits with self-deception and excuses, which would eventually create, in Blue's words, "utter monsters". Lamperielpida accusing him of not doing the same preaching work as she is angered Blue, who proceeded to give her a "The Reason You Suck" Speech as well as a warning of what her misguided faith and self-deception might lead to if she doesn't change her ways.
- As shown with his interactions with a group of rather misandric Equestrian Pony mares, he hates gender discrimination, which might be an extension of his hatred for Fantastic Racism in general. In this case, he punishes the misandric mares for mistreating Prince Terrae for being born a male Cervalicorn god by transforming them into stallions, forcing them to experience the same misandric beliefs that they promoted.
- He also hates Malicious Slander, as in the Second Age, he had often been accused of tribalism by tabloids and painted as both a musical fraud and a "danger" to Ponyland's youth. Bossa Nova notes that he can get "REAL pissy" if it happens. At least two incidents where it happened (one involving Equestrian Clovenists and another involving Clovenist and Propagare-sponsored sensationlist groups) ended with the spreader(s) of propaganda being humiliated by him (or, in the latter's case, magically turned into humiliating forms).
- Color Motif: Blue, which symbolizes peace, devotion, trust, and compassion. Blue Suede Heartstrings has a dark blue main and tail made of sound energy, and he's a Niceguy and Humble Hero who is a faithful follower of the 'King in Heaven'. He's also mellow and level-headed compared to his twin brother, Bossa Nova. However, blue also symbolizes sadness, emotional instability, and the inability to change. Despite his kindness and humility, Blue Suede repressed his traumas and flaws out of fear of being abused if he sought help, while at the same time he hated himself for being a Hypocrite and resented everyone who abused him and expected so much of him. Eventually, he suffered an emtoinal meltdown once his repressed traits boil over, leading to him nearly becoming a Fallen Alicorn and then falling into an Angst Coma. Fortunately, because of his efforts in helping everyone, he would be saved by everyone in turn, allowing him to heal and let go of all his traumas.
- Combat Tentacles: One of the things he can do with his Magic Music is grow soundwave "tentacles" to restrain and/or strangle his enemies.
- Commonality Connection:
- His passion and knowledge in music led to him befriending a few divine and mortal musicians. He was friends with the similarly innovative and talented Melody, who was dubbed "the Enduring Rockstar" in the Second Age. And in the Fourth Age, he befriended Vinyl Scratch, known as "DJ Pon-3" on-stage, and her friend, Octavia Melody, whom he worked with often to create an epic "classical rock" fusion. He also became close to Lyra Heartstrings and has supported her musical career, even blessing her relationship (and later marriage) with Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops, though in this case, it's because Lyra is rumored (and later confirmed In-Universe) that she is one of his mortal descendants through one of his deceased lovers. And at some point, he met Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love and one of Amareros' daughters, during his globe-trotting and befriended her, with them often traveling together due to Amina being a fellow traveler.
- He became close friends with Fluttershy, the former Bearer of Kindness and now Queen Gaia Posey I of Friendship Gardens, because they're both incredibly humble and compassionate individuals despite their great power and positions.
- Compelling Voice: As a god of Music, he can sing to hypnotize his listeners or induce a Forced Sleep. He later refined this ability to greater degrees after learning under various deities, and is noted to be one of his most dangerous abilities. By combining empathy with his Music domain, he can make people feel happy, sad, terrified, angry, or depressed depending on what kind of song he sings. This helped save a small kingdom from persecution by an Autorist empire when Caerulus sang about the horrors of their racial hatred, causing many of said empire's soldiers to desert in droves out of guilt and shame. Because of lack of sufficient forces, the Autorist empire was left vulnerable to the combined efforts of benevolent heroes and an internal resistance, and it collapsed.
- Convulsive Seizures: Averted and then played straight. Because he was constantly overworked by "Colonel" Hollow Note, he would later suffer a seizure while recording "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" in The Beatles' studio - according to Gold Lemon, he suddenly stopped moving and became confused as to why he was in the studio, before he collapsed and started "twitching" while also having trouble breathing. Thankfully, he would recover in the hospital, but the incident scared the Beatles badly to the point where Gold Lemon started weeping just from talking about it three Ages after his death.
- Cool Big Sis: Gender-inverted. He's very fond of kids and tends to act as an older brother figure for them. It's believed In-Universe that this stemmed from losing his older identical twin brother, Bossa Nova, at birth; while it did happen, the ironic twist is that Bossa Nova continued to "live" on despite being stillborn, and eventually Ascended to godhood himself. Learning of Bossa Nova's existence is what caused him to faint when they met each other for the first time.
- Cool Shades: His entry mentions that he wears a pair of black sunglasses with a black leather jacket while appearing as a mortal unicorn stallion. He later ditches this along with his jacket in favor of wearing divine cobalt blue barding after becoming Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon... though it's noted that he still wears this at times whenever he appears in his mortal form.
- Creator Breakdown: In-Universe. The loss of his parents (especially his mother), the public assassination of a beloved Zebra reverend he admired, his disgust/disillusionment with the music/movie industries, and being abused/gaslit by a corrupt manager made him extremely miserable, culminating in his hospitalization. When he tried firing his manager, a heated argument ensued, causing him to snap and give his manager a vicious No-Holds-Barred Beatdown that he deeply regretted. At first, he wanted to go to prison, but after Luminiferous bailed him out, he became a recluse with the intention to remain anonymous for the rest of his life. He would have went through it had he not met Luminiferous, who cheered him up and set him on the path to godhood. It's later revealed that Bossa Nova, his older twin brother, was responsible for his life turning out the way it did, as he was trying to help his brother recover from his parents' deaths, but accidentally ended up subjecting his brother to a brutal Trauma Conga Line in the long run.
- Crisis of Faith: Twice.
- Blue Suede mentions in a conversation with Prince Written Word that seeing even benevolent deities act Holier Than Thou caused him to wonder if the "King in Heaven" he worshiped acted like them, too, but he would get over it after accepting Equus' flaws and renewing his faith in him. Blue's religious experiences would allow him to help Chief Priestess Healing Heart of the Guardians of Love go through her own Crisis of Faith, after Ahuizotl released the Beasts of Genesis and revealed King Equus' role in creating them.
- Later on, Blue Suede would undergo a gradual one. As he became increasingly unstable, Blue Suede began to hate himself for not living up to his reputation as the 'embodiment of Humility' and not practicing what he preached; in particular, he thought himself to be a disappointment in King Equus' eyes for always forgiving people and encouraging them to be 'better', yet is reluctant to forgive his ex-manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, for abusing, controlling, and exploiting him. After having a spectacular Freak Out and coming out of the subsequent Angst Coma he fell into, he was extremely depressed thinking that he made himself irredeemable in King Equus' eyes. Thankfully, his friends, family, and loved ones helped him recover, in the process restoring his faith in the King.
- Curse: His domains of Love and Humility turn out to have the capacity to be used for curses, which is symbolically tied to the lessons he learned in punishing people for genuine wrongdoing instead of simply trying to redeem everyone. His Humility-based curses seem to revolve around Karmic Transformation much like Pakak's, as the latter is the one who taught him that humility is sometimes learned through humiliation, while his Love-based curses involve things like Hate Plague for those who take love for granted and abuse innocent people.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He lost his older twin brother to stillbirth (though he would meet his twin later on), grew up in dire poverty, and survived a tornado outbreak when he was a year old. Years later, he would become a musician, but unfortunately, he ended up with a corrupt, sociopathic, and abusive manager in "Colonel" Hollow Note. He also fought in the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War', giving him PTSD. After years of mistreatment, he eventually snapped and beat up Hollow Note, something that would both horrify and traumatize him for Ages to come. He would decide to perform on his own terms and Ascend to godhood later on, but over the Ages, interactions with maliciously arrogant people like War Rock and the Elternteil Deer Pantheon (and being abused by them) caused him believe that if he starts feeling pride, he'll become just like them. And in trying to be the All-Loving Hero everyone expects him to be, he repressed both his traumas and flaws for three Ages, creating a hotbed of emotional instability that eventually led his near-Fall.
- Deconstructed Character Archetype:
- Of the All-Loving Hero. While he's genuinely nice and friendly, and is beloved for it, actually being an all-loving hero is impossible to achieve for anyone, even for someone like him. Despite his efforts to be one, he's still capable of showing hate, anger, and resentment like any other creature, and suffers from abuse and war-related PTSD that went untreated for three Ages. His desire to help others also made people depend on him and hold him to unrealistic standards that he ultimately fails to live up to. And as people like War Rock and the Elternteil Deer Pantheon shows, there are people who hate him on principle, spurring them to hurt him when he tries to help. All this spurs him to repress his trauams and flaws so he wouldn't burden others with his own problems, which leads to him hating both himself for being a Hypocrite and others for abusing him yet expecting so much from him... which eventually causes him to snap.
- Of the Humble Hero. He is genuinely humble and desires to be treated no differently from anyone else, having been taught the value of humility at a young age. However, being abused by maliciously arrogant individuals and subjected to various traumatic events made him scared of becoming as bad as his tormentors if he felt even the slightest bits of pride. As a result, his humility gradually turned into Heroic Self-Deprecation to the point where he believed himself to be genuinely worthless, and he created 'The Colonel' for the original purpose of punishing him if he starts feeling pride. Eventually, his nigh-complete lack of pride in himself contributes to his emotional breakdown, while at the same time it empowers 'The Colonel' enough for it to try take over in body and mind. Once he accepts the healthy, positive aspects of pride, he's able to kill 'The Colonel' and make a complete psychological recovery.
- Of the Stepford Smiler. He became one because of two reasons: 1) the last time he tried seeking help, his abusive manager turned the therapist he sought into his personal Yes-Man, leaving him scared of being abused even more if he opens up. And 2) he's so compassionate that he sees others' well-being as more important than his own, and he doesn't want to burden them with his own problems. As a result, the traumas he suffered from went untreated for three Ages. It not only leads to his psychological health deteriorating, it leads to Bossa Nova (who he is spiritually connected to) being unaware of his twin's suffering, and also creates 'The Colonel'. Once someone finally figures out what's going on and warns everyone close to him, it's almost too late, as his repressed traits boil over and push him to his Rage Breaking Point, leading to him suffering an emotional meltdown that nearly corrupts him.
- Deity of Human Origin:
- He was a mortal unicorn and one of the most famous celebrities of the Second Age, until he met Luminiferous during a very low period in his life, after which he quit his job as a career musician and went globe-trotting to perform on his own terms. The list of his good deeds grew eventually allowed him to Ascend as an Alicorn demigod of Music and Humility. Later on, he would go on to Ascend to true godhood as well. It's later revealed that the meddling of his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, made his Ascension possible as Bossa Nova was subtly directing things in a well-meaning attempt to help his twin recover from his parents' deaths. When that led to disaster instead, he tried to make up for his mistakes by directing Luminiferous to his brother.
- His status as an Ascendant god would inspire Professor Bubbling Beaker in the Fourth Age to experiment on Pony foals and teenagers to unlock the secrets of Ascension and bring about a 'golden age' for Ponykind. Learning of this understandably caused him to react with shame and anger.
- Delinquent Hair: Subverted. He's known for sporting a pompadour while in his guise as a mortal unicorn stallion, but he's a very humble and kind-hearted person. His worst traits are only his flirting habits, his Big Eater tendencies (though he cut down on that significantly), and being far too humble to appreciate even his own achievements at times. After accepting his own pride and joining the Equestrian Pantheon as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, he lets his hair down to its full length, though it's mentioned there are occasions where he appears as his mortal self with a pompadour on.
- Demonic Possession: He was once possessed by a minor infernal noble (called 'The Foolish/Cowardly Usurper' In-Universe) via a long-lost, extremely rare divine possession spell. The noble's original target was Princess Amicitia Sparkle, but accidentally possessed Caerulus instead when he unwittingly got in the way. It didn't last very long, as Caerulus' loved ones quickly noticed something off about his behavior, leading to Rubeus Stella exorcising the noble's spirit from Caerulus' body after a short fight. Furious, Caerulus hoofed his possessor over to elite Malrègnarian forces sent by Vicearch Iniquitous to face justice for her crimes, with an additional message detailing to Iniquitous what her wayward subject had done.
- Despair Event Horizon:
- After going through a Trauma Conga Line that included losing both parents, hearing that a beloved Zebra reverend he admired was publicly assassinated out of racism, and being abused/gaslit for years by his corrupt manager, he would finally snap when he tried firing his manager, only to get into a heated argument where he learned his manager only saw him as a money-maker and a wall to keep people from looking into his own past. He gave his manager a brutal No-Holds-Barred Beatdown in a rage... only to quickly and deeply regret it and flee. When police came to question him, he insisted on being arrested and was content to remain in jail, but Luminiferous bailed him out, after which he chose to become a reclusive shut-in. Fortunately for him (and the rest of the world), he would meet Luminiferous at a party Venerable Grace threw to cheer him up, and the resulting pep-talk set him on the path that that eventually led to him Ascending to demi-godhood.
- He would hit one again in the Fourth Age, except this time, his sheer despair and low self-esteem that came from suppressing his trauma and negative emotions nearly turns him into a Fallen Alicorn. This would have allowed 'The Colonel' to overpower him and take over as the dominant force, but thankfully many of Blue Suede's friends like Winter Opera and Prince Stoltur were able to enter his mind and help him defeat the Colonel for good by encouraging him to regain his pride. While Blue Suede did come out of the ordeal feeling incredibly guilty for letting everyone down with his flaws and hypocrisy, all of his friends and family don't hold it against him and are very willing to help him recover. It's thanks to them that Blue Suede learns to accept being prideful and eventually makes a full psychological recovery, after which he joins the Equestrian Pantheon as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and marries Prince Stoltur.
- Disco Dan: Subverted. His favorite form to take is that of a mortal unicorn Greaser, but while he was responsible for creating the Greaser movement in the Second Age, he has a lot of other interests outside of it. Music-wise, while he popularized Rock n' Roll, he dabbled in a large variety of genres such as country, pop, jazz, gospel, and modern rock. His entry notes that his enduring popularity is what inspired the Fourth-Age Greaser movement, and it's noted that he chooses to appear as a unicorn Greaser long after the fad ended in the Second Age because he's usually far too humble to appear in his true Alicorn form. He decides to appear in his Alicorn form more often after accepting it's okay to be prideful, but there are still occasions where he still appears as his mortal self.
- The Dividual: He and his older brother, Bossa Nova, are identical twins who naturally split apart in the womb. Them being identical makes Temnobog assume their father also split them apart in his his selfish attempt to create a perfect and flawless son, much like what High King Irminsul had done to Belyolen and Temnobog eons ago. Learning this is not the case left Temnobog extremely relieved.Temnobog: Another set of identical divine twins, hmm? Tell me... did your father try to purify you in the womb, too, so he could have a son and heir who is completely benevolent and without flaws?
Bossa Nova Heartstrings: Uh... no?
Temnobog: Huh. I could have sworn that was the case...
Blue Suede Heartstrings: No, sir, we were born this way. I grew up with our Pa in Ponyland, though Bossa here grew up with Gavisus in Heaven. It's a long story... but our Pas still loved us all the same.
Temnobog: Ah. Then you two must be extremely fortunate.
Bossa Nova Heartstrings: What do you mean, Dark One?
Temnobog: That... is also a long story...
- Divine Parentage:
- It's rumored In-Universe that unicorn lyrist Lyra Heartstrings, who lives in Ponyville, is a mortal descendant of Blue Suede through one of his deceased lovers, which would make her an extremely diluted example of this trope. Blue Suede has supported Lyra's musical career, and was even seen in Ponyville blessing her relationship (and later marriage) with sweetheart Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops. To say that Lyra had been surprised when she discovered the rumors were actually true would be an understatement.Lyra Heartstrings: I'M RELATED TO THE KING OF MUSIC?!!
Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops: Wow, that sure explains a lot.
- It's also rumored that Flash Sentry, a pegasus Royal Guard and a friend of Princess Twilight/Amicitia Sparkle, is related to Blue Suede either as an ancestor or a relative, due to possessing similar body and hair colors.
- It's also rumored that former Sunnytowner, Roneo (and by extension, his older brother, Gladstone) is another mortal demi-divine descendant due to possessing both a talent in song-writing and similar color schemes. Blue Suede has not confirmed or denied this.
- In a roundabout way, Blue Suede is speculated to be a demi-divine son of Amareros, the Love Primeval, who eventually Ascended to true godhood. This might explain why one of his divine domains is Love. The truth is actually an inversion of this, being a mortal stallion born to mortal parents who managed to Ascend to godhood.
- Later on, sometime after joining the Equestrian Pantheon and marrying his long-time friend, Prince Skjöldur, he would become the father of Prince Perfect Tone, an infant Alicorn-Deer Draconequus hybrid. The fact that Perfect Tone was 'born' from a karmic backlash that was the result of Caerulus marrying Stoltur means that by all intents and purposes, he and Stoltur are Perfect Tone's biological parents.
- Crystal Prism, a Grittish Alicorn demigod, turns out to be one of Blue Suede's descendants by adoption, as Crystal Prism's ancestor is Prince Crystal Clear, Blue Suede's oldest adoptive son.
- It's rumored In-Universe that unicorn lyrist Lyra Heartstrings, who lives in Ponyville, is a mortal descendant of Blue Suede through one of his deceased lovers, which would make her an extremely diluted example of this trope. Blue Suede has supported Lyra's musical career, and was even seen in Ponyville blessing her relationship (and later marriage) with sweetheart Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops. To say that Lyra had been surprised when she discovered the rumors were actually true would be an understatement.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul":
- Inverted at first. Like Elvis Presley, whom he's based on, he hated being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" due to his religious upbringing and his humble belief that there are people who are more deserving of the title than he is; one of them is his idol, Black Domino. One of his friends, Melody, realizes how he feels about his epithet after bringing herself Back from the Dead, fusing with the other Tales/Virtuous Seven to become the Alicorn goddess Fairytale to defeat Queen Dark Crystal, and being worshiped by Ponies for it.Melody (Second Age): ...Maybe this is how Blue feels whenever we call him 'The King of Music'...
- It's later averted; upon being crowned as Prince, he has his epithet changed from "the King of Music" to "the Humble Sovereign" to avoid the issues he has with the former. And despite being renamed 'Caerulus Melodia' now, he's fine with people still calling him 'Blue', his birth name.
- Inverted at first. Like Elvis Presley, whom he's based on, he hated being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" due to his religious upbringing and his humble belief that there are people who are more deserving of the title than he is; one of them is his idol, Black Domino. One of his friends, Melody, realizes how he feels about his epithet after bringing herself Back from the Dead, fusing with the other Tales/Virtuous Seven to become the Alicorn goddess Fairytale to defeat Queen Dark Crystal, and being worshiped by Ponies for it.
- Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud: Averted. He was just one-year-old when a group of Category 5 tornadoes devastated his hometown in southern Ponyland, an incident that he and his family narrowly survived. This was based on a real-life tornado outbreak that affected Tulepo, Mississippi in 1936, which occurred when Elvis Presley was just one-year-old.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You: A variant in one Codexverse drabble. As he starts losing his patience with the Griffon Autorists who kept spouting their racist beliefs while refusing to accept his requests to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone, Blue warns, "Don't force me to take drastic action against you." It's when said Autorists decide to kill him first that he snaps and heralds his true Alicorn form by screaming at them to "GET OUT!!!"
- Driven to Suicide: Narrowly averted. During the early days of his psychological recovery, he was so depressed over his actions and (real and perceived) failures that he ran off in secret to commit suicide. As Blue Suede wasn't repressing his emotions at the time, his sheer despair, regret, and hopelessness caused Bossa Nova to freak out when he felt them. Fortunately, Blue Suede was found thanks to precognitive deities like Shamrock Bloom, with things coming full circle as Shamrock successfully persuaded his godfather not to jump off a cliff, just like how Blue Suede helped him recover after his suicide attempt. It's likely that due to being a god, Blue Suede likely wouldn't be harmed much even if he did go through with it, but by Blue Suede's own admission, he wasn't "thinking straight" at the time.
- Earthquake Machine: He can use his sonokinetic magic to induce violent earthquakes by sending powerful soundwaves through the ground.
- Elvis Has Left the Planet: In-Universe. Because he suddenly left Ponyland after his 'farewell' concert and didn't return for quite some time, multiple conspiracy theories popped up. One theory depicted him as a descendant of alien 'Visitors' who returned to the planet of his ancestors.
- Elvis Lives: A prominent example. Unlike Elvis Presley, who died relatively young thanks to self-destructive habits like overeating and drug addiction, Blue Suede ended up surviving in part because he either never indulged in those habits at all or controlled them before they got out of control. After meeting Luminiferous during a very low period in his life, he would become a globe-trotter and start playing music on his own terms, leading to his Ascension to godhood.
- Hilariously, the fact that Blue Suede suddenly "disappeared" after holding a farewell concert for his fans has led to In-Universe rumors and conspiracy theories that he actually died and was ushered into the afterlife by Malus Manes. Needless to say, Malus Manes himself wasn't very amused.Malus Manes: I don't care what it says, I never laid a hoof on him.
- Hilariously, the fact that Blue Suede suddenly "disappeared" after holding a farewell concert for his fans has led to In-Universe rumors and conspiracy theories that he actually died and was ushered into the afterlife by Malus Manes. Needless to say, Malus Manes himself wasn't very amused.
- Embarrassing Nickname:
- While being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" is normally a pretty awesome feat, he hated it due to being devoutly religious, as well as believing that more talented musicians like Black Domino are far more deserving of it. However, he's generally nice about it and will kindly remind people not to call him "the King" if they do so. Melody, a 'Tales Seven' member and Blue's friend from the Second Age, eventually realizes why Blue is so uncomfortable with his title after bringing herself back from the dead after being killed by Queen Dark Crystal, fusing with her friends to become Fairytale, the Alicorn goddess of Virtue, and being worshiped by Ponies for it.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Sweetheart, I ain't no King. Never was. The TRUE King... would be the King in Heaven.
- It's later averted when, upon being crowned as Prince, he changes his epithet to 'The Humble Sovereign', which doesn't explicitly name him 'King' but is no less awesome for it.
- While being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" is normally a pretty awesome feat, he hated it due to being devoutly religious, as well as believing that more talented musicians like Black Domino are far more deserving of it. However, he's generally nice about it and will kindly remind people not to call him "the King" if they do so. Melody, a 'Tales Seven' member and Blue's friend from the Second Age, eventually realizes why Blue is so uncomfortable with his title after bringing herself back from the dead after being killed by Queen Dark Crystal, fusing with her friends to become Fairytale, the Alicorn goddess of Virtue, and being worshiped by Ponies for it.
- Embodiment of Virtue: In his case, he embodies the virtue of Humility.
- Having been raised by poor yet loving, religious, and morally-upstanding parents, Blue Suede became incredibly humble and compassionate all his life, even after taking up music and becoming a famous musical celebrity in the Second Age. After growing sick of the music industry's corruption and voice, and meeting Luminiferous during a very low point in his life, Blue quit his job and took up globe-trotting, leading to him becoming the Alicorn god of Humility upon Ascending to godhood. Fittingly, his Humility domain gives him a few Psychic Powers like telepathy, empathy, and precognition in order to encourage humility in people.
- However, the bad sides of Humility come up when Blue Suede suppresses his own prideful emotions out of trauma and fear of becoming as arrogant as those who abused/wronged him. He also secretly began resenting how the people he helped saddled him with both impossible expectations and a reputation that he didn't want while ignoring that he's someone with his own wants and needs. This leads to his self-esteem becoming so low that he constantly put himself down, and when confronted on it, he nearly turns into a Fallen Alicorn. His Enemy Within, the 'Colonel', was also born from his fear of becoming prideful, and had his friends not intervened, it would have taken him over as the dominant personality.
- After killing the 'Colonel', Blue Suede lets go of the pain he held for three Ages and finally accepts his prideful feelings, in the process allowing him to embody true humility - accepting oneself and being okay with feeling pride in one's own accomplishments while acknowledging their own flaws. This later leads to him joining the Equestrian Pantheon, becoming a Prince, and marring his long-time friend Prince Stoltur, the Bogolenya Deer-Draconequus god of Pride. In addition, his acceptance of positive, healthy Pride resulted in him gaining new abilities like enhanced psychic powers, access to various karmic curses and hexes that punish people for letting their own pride rule them, and creating a Yin-Yang Bomb by combining his Humility-empowered magic with Stoltur's Pride-empowered magic.
- Emotion Bomb: With his Humility-based empathy, he can produce an aura that suppresses unchecked pride, usually enough to make his targets more likely to see reason. He can also "emotion-bomb" people by psychically forcing them to feel the suffering they have caused with their arrogance, but he only does it if his targets need a little more convincing to change their ways. He doesn't want to hurt people like that and sees "emotion-bombing" as far from the only option to redeem prideful individuals.
- The Empath: Becoming the Alicorn god of Humility gave him psychic empathy. His entry notes that he can produce an empathic aura that ebbs prideful feelings, which makes him a relaxing presence to beings like Stoltur, who embodies the bad aspects of Pride. He can "emotion-bomb" people by psychically forcing them to feel the suffering they have caused with their arrogance, but he only does the latter when his targets need a little more convincing to change their ways, as he generally hates hurting people like that and sees it as far from the only option.
- Blue's psychic empathy is what allowed him to detect Three Leaf's emotional suffering while visiting his descendant, Lyra Heartstrings, in Ponyville. It led to his realization that Three Leaf, despite breaking free from Pakak's curse and receiving all attempts to help her, was still suffering from a deeply abusive friendship with Grey Hoof. After agreeing to Ruby Heart's request to help Three Leaf, Blue would use his domain of Philia Love to magically sever Three Leaf's friendship "rope", freeing her from Grey Hoof at long last.
- During a conversation with Gladstone, Blue tries convincing Gladstone to "let go" of Roneo and let him be more independent, causing Gladstone to break down over the thought of losing his younger brother. Blue senses his sorrow, and connects with Gladstone by drawing from his own experiences of going through the same thing with his own children, rightly pointing out that no one can keep their loved ones with them forever, and to do so would be extremely detrimental for both parties involved.
- Endearingly Dorky: He has this side of him just like Luminiferous. He was a total Momma's Boy when his parents were alive, he loves reading superhero comics (and even based his appearance on a few superhero characters), and he's very fond of children to the point where he acts like an older brother figure to them. His entry even notes that despite improving significantly on his foalhood stage fright, he can still be a bit reserved and shy at times. And in the Fourth Age, when he learned that comic books were reintroduced to the public and being produced en masse, he was noted to have gotten really excited about being able to read them again.
- Enemy Within: He has one called 'The Colonel', a malicious mental entity that resided in Blue Suede's mind for three Ages. The Colonel embodies all of Blue Suede's worst memories and his suppressed negative traits like pride, self-loathing, and rage, and its original purpose was to punish Blue whenever he showed pride. However, the longer it existed, the more it gained sapience and became similar to the Headmistress, its psychic influence increasing to the point where it threatened to overtake Blue Suede. As its creator, Blue Suede is the only one who can truly defeat the Colonel. Though the battle was difficult, Blue Suede let go of his traumas and regained his lost pride via reminders of all his achievements, which weakened the Colonel considerably. This allowed Blue Suede to land the final blow together with Prince Stoltur by firing a combined attack of Pride and Humility magic at the Colonel, killing it for good.
- Energy Weapon: One of the things he can do with his Music domain is fire beams of pure musical energy.
- Eternal Love: He eventually becomes Happily Married to Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, after being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon. Despite being complete opposites of each other, they love each other very much and being gods, their marriage will last for eternity.
- Even the Guys Want Him:
- Many of Blue Suede's past partners were stallions, with his first coltfriend/husband being Record Beat, a unicorn stallion and DJ who had a crush on him for a while prior to getting together. However, he was completely faithful and loving to all of his partners, and never forgot their faces and names long after they died. One of his affairs eventually led to the birth of Lyra Heartstrings, a mortal demi-divine Fourth Age descendant, though other descendants are rumored to include Flash Sentry, Roneo, and Gladstone.
- Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, a long-time friend of his, would gradually fall in love with Blue Suede while the latter psychologically recovered, and Blue Suede would genuinely return his feelings. After Blue Suede becomes Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joins the Equestrian Pantheon, he and Stoltur would marry; despite their opposing natures, they very Happily Married, with Stoltur boosting Caerulus' self-esteem while Caerulus lowers Stoltur's pride.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: In-Universe, he was recording the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" in the Beatles' own studio right before his collapse and following seizure. Ironically, he would end up meeting and befriending a few "devils in disguise" later on, such as Luminiferous, Prince Stoltur (who would eventually become his husband), Queen Krásná (who would eventually become his adoptive daughter), and Iniquitous.
- Face Your Fears: He loathed acting because of his fears of being exploited, which stemmed from being forced by "Colonel" Hollow Note to make movies for profit as soon as his acting talent emerged. Sola Mors made him face his fears by having him act in a musical she created, leading to him expressing in song his traumatic experiences with the hubris, corruption, and excesses of the early Second Age's movie/music industries. He then realized that acting didn't feel so bad after all when his performance was received with thunderous applause. Befriending Changeling Queen Ithomiini, helped him mostly get over his issues, as he made several critically-acclaimed soundtracks for her movies and even acted in some of them, which were very well-received.
- Upon meeting his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, for the first time, the shock from discovering that his stillborn twin is technically 'alive' all along was so overwhelming that he fainted.
- He caused Queen Aoide, born Melody, to faint after meeting him and realizing she's meeting with the greatest musician of the Second Age. Likewise, he caused Princess Cantare, born Starsong Melody, to react the same way.
- Family Theme Naming:
- Both he and his mortal demi-divine descendant, Lyra Heartstrings, are named after things related to music. In his case, he's named after the song "Blue Suede Shoes", which was performed by Elvis Presley, his character inspiration. Meanwhile, Lyra Heartstrings is named after a musical instrument, which in her case is a lyre.
- He and his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, are named after Elvis Presley's songs, with him being named after "Blue Suede Shoes" while Bossa Nova is named after "Bossa Nova Baby". They're also named after musical genres, with Blue being named after the Blues genre while Bossa Nova is named after the Brazilian genre Bossa Nova, a combination of samba and jazz.
- Famous Ancestor: He's the ancestor in question. The loving and faithful relationships he had with both mares and stallions post-Ascension has resulted in the birth of quite a few mortal demi-divine descendants in the Fourth Age. Lyra Heartstrings is one, though it's rumored In-Universe that Flash Sentry, Roneo, and Gladstone are also related to him. It's later revealed that Page Wheel/Crystal Prism, the Alicorn demigod of Change, Transformation, and Rebirth, is a young descendant of his through his oldest son, Prince Crystal Clear.
- Fantastic Racism: The main reason why he was horrifically abused by the Elternteil Deer Pantheon and dragged to face judgement in a Kangaroo Court is because he's an 'interloper' who 'tainted' the Alvslog Deer Herds' racial purity... simply by talking to them. He was also nearly punished by King Aspen simply for showing compassion to High Queen Arvan, who was mourning her dead children. While Belyolen saved him, the damage was done, and the Elternteil Deer Pantheon's abuse contributed to his emotional breakdown and near-Fall. The entire incident and the deeply-entrenched Moral Myopia surrounding it disgusted one of the Elternteil Deer, Prince Gicelig, so much that it contribution to his defection to the Equestrian Pantheon.
- To Prince Written Word: Written Word was born a Terran Prince to a divine Emperor and has many younger/older brothers, while Blue Suede was born in poverty to mortal parents and lost his older twin brother to stillbirth (though he wouldn't meet him until later). Both were heavily influenced by religion, except Written Word secretly worked as a priest until he saw how religious faith can be used for evil, while Blue Suede has followed the 'King in Heaven' for three Ages. Both reacted to their mothers' deaths in different ways - Written Word lashed out at Golden Scepter for not preventing Blessed Skies' death, while Sunny Love's death contributed to Blue Suede's binge-eating, which he thankfully stopped after dreaming of himself getting fat in old age. Their turning points came from interacting with ancient Alicorns - Golden Scepter gently set Written Word straight on what he was really promoting through his priestly work, while Luminiferous encouraged a bitter, disillusioned, and reclusive Blue Suede to continue playing music, but on his own terms. Written Word is also fine with being a Prince, while Blue Suede is too humble to accept it... until he learned that it's okay to feel pride following a very traumatic psychological breakdown, upon which he let himself be crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and settled down in the Equestrian Pantheon.
- To High Duchess Hrůza:. Hrůza was born a goddess to deities who became monstrously evil and abused her, while Blue Suede was born a mortal to parents who, while poor, genuinely loved and cared for him. Hrůza has many siblings thanks to Ispita sleeping around, while Blue Suede lost Bossa Nova, his older twin brother, to stillbirth (though he wouldn't meet him until much later). This influenced their personalities later on, with Hrůza being a sadistic Evil Diva and Attention Whore, while Blue Suede is a humble and friendly music legend who genuinely loves making music. Hrůza also embodies the negative aspects of music, using it to inspire/stoke fear and paranoia while using her victims' screams in her music, whereasBlue Suede embodies the positive aspects of music and thus has powers like musical healing and empowerment. In addition, Blue Suede is a "prodigy deity" who possesses a wider range of abilities thanks to his seemingly different domains, while Hrůza embodies Mass Hysteria and Fear, which only makes her skilled in utilizing Fear as a weapon and nothing else. This, combined with her lack of reality-warping powers, left her feeling envious towards her more powerful older/younger siblings, and desperately hungry for her parents' approval.
- To War Rock: Both are musical prodigies whose talents were encouraged by their parents, except Blue Suede's parents loved and taught him good behaviors, while War Rock's parents were perfectionists who constantly pushed him to succeed and spoiled him rotten whenever he did. Blue Suede is a Humble Hero who genuinely loved playing music, while War Rock is a narcissistic sociopath who became a musician for fame and glory. Their turning points involved immortality and demonic figures - Blue Suede's was meeting the devil-like Luminiferous, while War Rock's was bargaining with an Archdemon in exchange for immortality and power. Blue Suede's humility ensured he would continue being remembered beyond the Second Age, and after making a psychological recovery and overcoming all his flaws/traumas, he would become a beloved Prince of the Equestrian Pantheon. War Rock refused to humble himself and change for the better, and consequently he died unmourned and unloved, his final fate being Dragged Off to Hell for his crimes with his legacy forgotten by all. Both of them also sired numerous children, except Blue Suede loved all of his children and grieved whenever he outlived them. War Rock saw his own children as unwanted consequences of his hedonism and either abandoned them or, in Winter Opera's case, tried to have them aborted without a second thought.
- To Prince Healing Song: Both suffered foalhood tragedies - Healing Song was blinded when doctors removed his eyes to prevent spreading of retinoblastoma, while Blue Suede lost his older twin brother to stillbirth (though Blue Suede would meet him much later) and narrowly survived a tornado outbreak. Both are music prodigies, but Blue was too poor to hire a tutor and taught himself, while Healing Song had no such problem. Blue had a corrupt and abusive record manager in "Colonel" Hollow Note, which gave him trauma that went unresolved for three Ages. By contrast, Healing Song had less emotional baggage because he had friends who protected him from those who did try to exploit him. Both are humble and kind, but while Blue Suede downplayed his achievements and refused privileges out of humility, Healing Song is willing to be in a divine pantheon and accept royal titles despite being personally uncomfortable with them. Both also have different approaches to combat - Blue Suede is a war veteran and more proactive in combat, while Healing Song is a Martial Pacifist who focuses on healing/support. And unlike Blue Suede, who suppressed his trauma and other 'bad' traits for three Ages out of fear and self-loathing until he snapped, Healing Song is humble enough to seek and accept help from friends when he needs it, which prevented him from becoming like War Rock. The differences become less profound once Blue Suede fully accepts the beneficial aspects of pride, becomes Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, and joins the Equestrian Pantheon before marrying Prince Stoltur.
- Forced Sleep: As the god of Music, one of the things he can do with his singing voice is lull his listeners to sleep.
- Forgiveness: Due to his religious upbringing, he tries his best to emulate the "King in Heaven"'s example in forgiveness, and as a result, he's very forgiving towards those who wronged him.
- He forgave Kúzelník, the Deer god of Sorcery, for the Elternteil Deer Pantheon's racist and abusive mistreatment of him, despite having every right to be angry with him because Kúzelník truly regretted his actions. Instead, he encouraged Kúzelník to make amends for his mistakes and "become better".
- He forgave his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, for manipulating his life, and encouraged him to go back home and make amends with his adoptive family, whom Bossa Nova had been completely neglecting up to that point. By Blue's admission, he was mad at his brother, but chose to forgive him because Bossa Nova truly meant well and he did apologize for his meddling... not to mention that it was because of Bossa Nova that he was able to leave behind an increasingly corrupt music industry in the first place.
- Subverted with "Colonel" Hollow Note, his record manager from the Second Age. Even after Hollow Note's death and the end of the Second Age, Blue still couldn't bring himself to forgive him because his manager exploited, controlled, and manipulated him throughout almost his entire music career, and would have remained under Hollow Note's hoof for the rest of his life had Bossa Nova not meddled with things. This gave Blue some self-loathing and caused him to see himself as "a failure and a hypocrite" for not following the "King in Heaven"'s example in forgiveness. Changeling Queen Ithomiini sympathizes with him because many of her employees/actors/filming crew had gone through the same thing, but reminds him that clinging to Hollow Note's memory would only allow Blue to continue being controlled by his manager in some way. Then, she assures Blue that the "King in Heaven" is willing to forgive even him because he's so willing to make up for his flaws and mistakes.Queen Ithomiini: I may not know this King in Heaven you worship, darling, but if the King can forgive anyone... then chances are, he might forgive you, too.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...Thanks, ma'am.
Queen Ithomiini: My pleasure, darling. And please, call me Movie Bug.
- It's eventually double-subverted when, after confessing his traumas regarding "Colonel" Hollow Note to his friends and loved ones, everyone began helping Blue out of gratitude for helping them. This went a long way in Blue coming to terms with Hollow Note's abusive actions and eventually forgiving him for real.
- After Blue Goldstone realized that his blind idolization of Blue caused him to share the same homophobic attitudes as his neighbors, he apologized to Blue for it. Blue forgave him and encouraged him to become better, leading to Gold's faith and respect for his idol being restored, and ultimately Gold's Ascension to godhood.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: While he has appeared in various mortal forms thanks to his Performance domain, his most preferred one is that of a mortal unicorn stallion who dresses up like a Greaser, with a pompadour, a pair of shades, and a black leather jacket. It's later subverted - after recovering from his traumas and issues, he chose to go around in his true Alicorn form, having learned to accept that it's okay to be prideful. That being said, it's mentioned he still appears as his mortal self on occasion.
- For Want of a Nail:
- If Luminiferous had not found him in time, Blue would have succeeded in quitting music altogether and become a recluse out of depression, bitterness, and grief. His entries note that meeting Luminiferous "changed the course of history", as the pep-talk he received and the epiphany he had influenced Blue to continue performing on his own terms after quitting his job as a career musician. Eventually, he would end up Ascending to godhood after traveling the world and amassing a list of good deeds.
- Instead of binge-eating to the point of becoming fat like Elvis Presley did, Blue would have a food-fueled nightmare late one night that showed him what he could potentially become in his old age if he didn't take control of himself. This led to him cutting down his eating habits significantly, therefore retaining the handsomeness that Elvis lost in his later years.
- In-Universe, he admits that while he was mad at Bossa Nova for manipulating his life, he acknowledges that had his older brother not interfered at all, he still would've been stuck under the hoof of his exploitative record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, unable to get out even if he wanted to. Bossa Nova was both horrified and livid when he learned of this.
- He would have fully transformed into a Fallen Alicorn had his friends and loved ones not succeeded in snapping him out of it. And if they hadn't saved him from 'The Colonel', it would have succeeded in taking him over completely and emerged as his dominant personality.
- If he hadn't snapped and nearly turned into a Fallen Alicorn from repressing his trauma and flaws for three Ages, he wouldn't have made Blacktip realize his resentment towards the Dragons is wrong and let go of it, leading to his Ascension to demi-godhood.
- Freudian Excuse: Deconstructed, as many of the reasons for his behavior turned out to be holding him back from his full potential as a god and a person.
- It's believed In-Universe that the infamously huge appetite he once had as a mortal came from growing up poor and not being able to afford a lot of foods that wealthier people took for granted, such as bacon. However, it's deconstructed in that regardless of his reasons, Blue's eating habits were still rather unhealthy, especially after his parents died and his manager became increasingly controlling and abusive, which influenced him to stress-eat. He would have gotten fat later on like Elvis did had he not had a food-fueled nightmare about it, which motivated him to cut down on his eating significantly.
- It's also believed In-Universe that his fondness for children stemmed from losing his older identical twin brother, Bossa Nova, to stillbirth, as he had been seen talking with those who also lost beloved family members, such as Prince Written Word, who lost his mortal pegasus mother to old age despite the Terran Empire's life-extending technologies. It's actually averted - the ironic twist is that despite his premature death, Bossa Nova still continued to "live" and even managed to Ascend to godhood himself via performing lots of good deeds. Blue knows this, having met Bossa Nova in the Second Age and witnessed his Ascension after his brother fulfilled a promise to be there when he Ascended himself, and they're very close.
- It's mentioned that part of why he's so humble is because Blue witnessed many people within the Second Age's music/movie industries, including his friends/associates, fall to corruption and hubris. He feared becoming like them, so he swore never to let himself fall into the same sins, which resulted in him often giving himself too little credit for things he had accomplished, even when it's rightly deserved. It's because of this that to this day, Blue's friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, has been encouraging him to have a little pride in himself and to accept pride as an empowering force, since too little pride is as bad as too much.
- It's heavily implied in Bossa Nova's entry and a few canonized Codexverse drabbles/quotes that a major factor in him displaying Tranquil Fury came from an incident involving his record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note - after enduring a brutal Trauma Conga Line, he snapped after getting into a heated argument with Hollow Note, and beat him up for exploiting, manipulating, and controlling him throughout almost his entire musical career. He was so horrified by what he had done that he was later found at home by his first wife Venerable Grace, crying and praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness. This is later deconstructed as Blue would later confess to Changeling Queen Ithomiini that he wanted to continue hating Hollow Note for what he did, but feels conflicted over this because he doesn't want to lose himself into his anger again, and hates himself for not fully following the "King in Heaven"'s example in forgiving others.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (to Changeling Queen Ithomiini) By this planet, I WANTED t' hate 'im, ma'am. Even after all this time, I WANTED t' hate Hollow Note and NEVER forgive him, EVER. But I... I couldn't let myself get loose again. Not after I threw 'im all over the place like a sack o' potatoes when I snapped. To be frank, ma'am, I feel like a failure and a hypocrite. The King in Heaven always forgives... an' yet I couldn't bring myself to for that ONE STALLION.
- Sola Mors' entry reveals that being a former Second-Age movie actor who was forced to make movies for profit left him with an underlying fear of being exploited again, and he refused to participate in acting in general since then. Sola Mors made him face his fears by having him act in a musical she created, where he expressed in song his own experiences with the hubris, corruption, and excesses of the early Second Age's movie/music industries through the character he was acting for. He was received with thunderous applause, and he realized that acting didn't feel so bad after all. Befriending Changeling Queen Ithomiini helped him get over most of his issues, as he produced critically-acclaimed soundtracks for her movies and even acted in some movies that were very well-received.
- Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse: "Colonel" Hollow Note's exploitation and abuse left Blue Suede with some lingering emotional trauma. He is genuinely infuriated whenever managers exploit and abuse their clients, as his interactions with Svengallop and Shamrock's corrupt ballet manager showed... however, Blue felt reluctant to forgive Hollow Note because of the latter's actions. And by his own admission, it also instilled in him a distrust for all managers, including genuinely good managers, and the tendency to hold them to much higher standards. He hated himself for it since it's a sign that he's a Hypocrite for being so forgiving to others, yet being reluctant to forgive the one stallion who mistreated him in his muic career. Changeling Queen Ithomiini assures him that he's not a hypocrite as forgiving someone for great wrongs can take time, though she does remind him that eventually, he still has to learn when to let go in order to avoid falsely associating good managers with Hollow Note.
- Friendly Sniper: He's a Nice Guy and All-Loving Hero... but during the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War', he was known as "The Blue Death", a fearsome sniper with incredible aiming skills. According to him, he grew sick of witnessing bloodshed up close from both allies and enemies alike, so he trained himself to become a sniper out of sheer necessity. He never picked up a gun again after the war ended, and he didn't reveal his war exploits until he started taking psychiatric appointments with Mentálne.
- Friend to All Children: His entry notes that he's very fond of children, and has been known to act as an older brother figure for them. It's believed In-Universe that his fondness for children came from losing his older identical twin brother to stillbirth... which turns out to be ironically not true, as said twin brother, Bossa Nova, is still around serving as a psychopomp-turned-Death god.
- One foal he befriended in particular was an orphaned pegasus filly who lived in the Sandwich Islands with her older sister and "Stitch", a rehabilitated Maretian weapons experiment. His first entry notes that he personally donated large sums of his own wealth to the pegasus filly, her older sister, Stitch purely out of goodwill.
- In the Fourth Age, he befriended the Dazzling Divas (who are all teenagers or young kids) and aided them in their fight against Ivory Towers and her demonic forces; out of them all, he formed a particularly close bond with Miracle Hymn, the youngest Diva, and essentially became her foster father sometime after her parents were murdered by one of Ivory Towers' demons. It's noted that his loss of both his parents in the Second Age is what allowed Blue Suede to relate to Miracle Hymn's grief over losing hers.
- When Unicorn tribalists from the Children of Platinum faction attacked the School of Friendship, he angrily admonished the tribalists for spouting tribalism in front of the terrified young students, even covering one of the students' ears while doing so.
- Generation Xerox: This ends up occurring with him and his adoptive niece, Professor Breaking Dawn. Both lost their parents (though under vastly different circumstances), were horrifically abused by people who have maliciously ulterior intentions for them (though Hollow Note's goals are self-serving while Arcane Nexus' are far-reaching), and, after Ascending to godhood, developed an extreme aversion to being worshiped by others largely thanks to traumatic experiences that made them fear being given special treatment. Unlike Breaking Dawn, however, he kept his issues a secret, leading to a catastrophic breakdown that nearly corrupted him into a Fallen Alicorn. Because of this, he has started helping Breaking Dawn overcome her issues regarding her divinity so she wouldn't suffer like he did.
- Genre Roulette: In-Universe; his entry notes that while he popularized the Rock and Roll genre in the Second Age, he constantly experimented with different genres, leading to him producing a large body of work inspired by (in his words) jazz, pop, gospel, country, modern rock, and a bit of Oceanic music. This would make him a very good friend of fellow Second-Age musician Melody, who had done similar things during her career. And after befriending Octavia Melody, he would work with her to create an epic "classical rock" fusion, leading to songs like this one.
- Gentle Giant: His true form is a tall and handsome Alicorn god, being taller than the likes of Queen Dazzleglow and Prince Sparkling Wing, yet dwarfed by older Alicorns such as Luminiferous and Golden Scepter, the oldest members of the Church of the Stars. He's also a very humble and kind-hearted stallion who is devoutly religious and loves his fans. Provoking his wrath is ill-advised. This becomes literal after a magical accident turns him into a Giant, during which he avoids stepping on his Equestrian subjects and causing collateral damage until Princess Winter Opera can shrink him back to normal. By his own admission, the experience gave him some insight into why Giants tended to act domineering, since his brief transformation gave him the power and leeway to wreak havoc but instead chose not to.
- Get Out!:
- He says this twice during a heated confrontation with Griffon Autorists. As they kept refusing his requests to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone and spouted their racist beliefs, Blue starts losing his patience and utters, "...I think you misunderstood me. Get out. NOW." However, when the Griffon Autorists start readying their weapons with intent to make him their first victim, Blue snaps and this time screams for them to get out, revealing his true Alicorn form in the process.
- After confronting and shaming a group of fans who were persecuting a then-mortal Winter Opera for her father's crimes, he would angrily tell them to leave, disowning them as his fans and 'friends'.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Ya don't like what Ah'm doin'?! Then get outta here! Get out! Yer no friends of mine!
- God Couple: He and Stoltur would eventually become this. After Stoltur helps him defeat 'The Colonel' and supporting him during his psychological recovery, Blue Suede would end up falling in love and dating him, during which he would become a student of various deities to explore himself. It's not until he is crowned as 'Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria' and joins the Equestrian Pantheon that he marries Stoltur in a small wedding ceremony. Despite their opposing natures and domains, they're Happily Married and have become Good Parents to their infant son, Prince Perfect Tone.
- Godhood Seeker: Averted. What made Blue Suede a foil to War Rock is that he never sought to become immortal for selfish reasons, only wanting to perform for his fans and help others. After meeting Luminiferous twice during a particularly low point in his life, Blue Suede quit the music industry and traveled the world to perform on his own terms, which led to him Ascending to godhood under Luminiferous' tutelage after doing many good deeds. This is what pushed War Rock into villainy, as he realized that he would eventually die and be forgotten whereas his hated rival is now immortal.
- A God I Am Not: Justified and deconstructed. He grew up a faithful devotee of the "King in Heaven" (speculated to be the god Equus), and years of witnessing people become Jerkasses or evil out of pride - and being abused by said people - made him vow never to become as prideful as them. However, his various traumas and issues slowly turned his humility into an inferiority complex, and deep down, he hated himself for not following the "King in Heaven"'s example or practicing what he preached. In addition, he tried repressing his 'bad' emotions and flaws so he wouldn't burden people with his problems. Eventually, his repressed issues would catch up to him in the Fourth Age, and being confronted on the matter by concerned friends and family led to a spectacular breakdown where he nearly turned into a Fallen Alicorn and fell into an Angst Coma. Then it's reconstructed - once his friends rescued him from his Angst Coma by helping him confront/kill 'The Colonel', the living embodiment of his flaws and traumas, he would receive both therapy and emotional support from everyone he helped over the Ages. This helped him accept that it's okay to feel pride in yourself, which led to him becoming more comfortable with appearing as an Alicorn in public. After being crowned as Prince and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, he's now okay with having mortal followers, but encourages them to approach him directly and see him as a friend so they wouldn't blindly put him on a pedestal.
- God in Human Form: Justified. Though he's an Alicorn, he often appears as a mortal from various races (usually a Unicorn) because he doesn't want to be treated differently from anyone else. And due to embodying Performance, he's quite capable of changing his own appearance and masking his own Primordial Quintessence. The other reason behind this is he doesn't want to wear royal regalia that turn out to be uncomfortable and itchy. It's later downplayed - while he still appears in his mortal form, he does it occasionally. He has grown comfortable with being in his true Alicorn form more often because he has learned and accepted that it's okay to feel prideful at times, just in moderation.
- God Is Flawed:
- As part of his Hidden Depths, Blue Suede genuinely believes that all deities are flawed, as he had witnessed even the "kindest" gods and goddesses (in his words) put themselves on a pedestal and act like they know better than others because of their power and divinity. This applies to the 'King in Heaven' Blue Suede worships. However, as Blue Suede explains to Prince Written Word, the fact that the 'King in Heaven' always strives to do good despite his flawed nature is what motivates him to continue worshiping him anyway - if someone like the 'King in Heaven' can do that, then he and others can do the same thing.
- Ironically, Blue Suede is flawed himself - despite his humility and kindness, he suffered from extensive trauma and abuse and, along with his flaws and other 'bad' emotions', repressed them for three Ages. He also resented everyone for holding ridiculous expectations of him and, despite forgiving them on the surface, secretly felt angry and hateful towards those who demeaned, abused, or otherwise took him for granted. This eventually led to him suffering a psychological breakdown after he was confronted by his concerned friends and family, and though he was saved from becoming a Fallen Alicorn and being dominated by 'The Colonel' during his Angst Coma, he was essentially a broken stallion who harbored a massive guilt complex. It's after he receives psychiatric help from Mentálne, as well as emotional support from everyone he helped, that he learns to accept and live with his own flaws, leading to him developing a healthier sense of pride and humility.
- Good Parents:
- Despite not expecting the 'birth' of Prince Perfect Tone at all, Blue Suede nonetheless welcomed his infant son into his life and raised him with love and care.
- Despite his own flaws and his initial worries that he might not be a good father, Blue Suede is very loving and supportive of his oldest adoptive son, Prince Crystal Clear. Blue Suede wanted to give Crystal Clear a normal life and raised him as such, despite people expecting his son to become a legendary musician like him. When Crystal Clear ran away from home and joined War Rock out of resentment, Blue Suede was devastated, but nonetheless went to save his son after War Rock rendered the latter Brainwashed and Crazy. Blue Suede also helped Crystal Clear Ascend to full godhood after he became an Alicorn demigod during a terrorist attack, and was there to comfort him whenever he needed it. In turn, Crystal Clear loves his father and repaid Blue Suede by helping to save him from his Angst Coma. When Blue Suede expresses guilt for not being the 'perfect' father, Crystal Clear assures him that regardless of his flaws, he still sees Blue Suede as the best adoptive parent he ever had and even prayed to the 'King in Heaven' to thank him for his adoption.
- It's implied that Blue Suede was this with his other children, too, loving and caring for them despite knowing he'll eventually outlive many of them.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Played with. He's a God of Good who became Happily Married to Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, a God of Evil, after he was crowned a Prince himself, yet both of them have flawed and nobler sides. They also have a healthy sex life where they take turns being dominant/submissive so Stoltur can help him become more confident. In a Codexverse scene, they're witnessed having missionary sex by Touha and his siblings, and the entire thing is depicted as sweet and tender due to their mutual love, trust, and devotion. By stark contrast, Knechten, one of Stoltur's cousins, kills a Griffon overseer by brutally sodomizing him with his own beating rod that Knechten modified with nails and other sharp bits, which is treated as horrifying despite the Griffon overseer having deserved it. According to one of the Codexverse writers, the comparison was intentional.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: He has dual-colored wings, his feathers bearing a magical gradient that goes from yellow-orange to dark blue. Due to the nature of how divines grow in Equus, especially Alicorns, his possession of a wing gradient is a sign of his age and incredible power. After Star Flower arrives on Equus as the last surviving Flutter Pony, he gains the Flutter Pony's butterfly wings, which he, Stitching Time, and other Alicorns from the Second Age show to Star Flower to assure her that she isn't alone as she thinks she is. After being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, he starts alternating between Alicorn wings and butterfly wings depending on his mood.
- Gosh Darn It to Heck!: Justified. As a devoutly religious stallion who worships a higher power he calls "the King in Heaven" (implied to be the ancient god Equus), he doesn't swear explicitly because he finds it distasteful and offensive in the King's eyes. Even when he's clearly angry, he doesn't cut loose. It's averted later on; after making a full psychological recovery from his traumas and accepting his pride and other 'bad' feelings, he becomes more willing to actually swear, but is still polite.
- Grand Theft Me: He once fell victim to such a plot by 'The Foolish/Cowardly Usurper', a minor infernal noble of Malrègnar's Infernal Circles. Granted, it was an accident as the original target was Princess Amicitia Sparkle and Caerulus unwittingly got in the way, but the infernal noble nonetheless exploited this setback and basked in her host's beloved reputation and divine power/authority she enviously coveted for herself. However, due to Caerulus being such a Nice Guy who suffered a psychological breakdown some years before, it didn't take long for his loved ones to notice something off about his behavior, leading to a short fight that ended with Prince Rubeus Stella ripping the infernal noble's spirit out of his younger twin brother's body. Once the infernal noble's ties to Malrègnar were made known, a furious Caerulus handed her over to elite Malrègnarian forces sent by Vicearch Iniquitous to retrieve the offending noble, with a message detailing to Iniquitous what her wayward subject had done. Needless to say, the infernal noble received a most horrific punishment after she was dragged back to Malrègnar kicking and screaming.
- Greaser Delinquents: Subverted. Being based on Elvis Presley, he is an Alicorn god of Music who usually appears as a mortal unicorn Greaser, with the trademark black leather jacket, sunglassess, and pompadour. His appearance and popularity played a direct role in birthing the Greaser movement during the Second Age, and then its revival in the Fourth Age. However, he's devoutly religious, and is an humble and compassionate All-Loving Hero. He used to prefer this form over wearing divine regalia due to his humility and not wanting to wear anything uncomfortable and itchy. After becoming Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, though, he started being this far less often in favor of dressing up like a Prince, with divine cobalt-blue armor with silver designs. That being said, Princess Winter Opera's entry mentions there are still numerous occasions where he has appeared as his mortal self.
- Guilt Complex: A combination of various factors such as war-based PTSD, being psychologically abused and gaslit by his ex-manager, and later beating up said ex-manager in a rage created and fed into a guilt complex that spurred him to help others to make up for both real and perceived mistakes. After defeating 'The Colonel' and waking up from his Angst Coma, he was left so broken that his guilt complex became more prominent, with him frequently apologizing for things he did or didn't do. Fortunately, his friends and loved ones' support, as well as receiving psychiatric help, would help him out of it.
- Happily Married:
- He was this with his first husband, Record Beat. Despite homophobia tearing them apart and Blue Suede being persuaded to marry Venerable Grace instead in order to save face, they eventually got back together after Blue Suede divorced Venerable Grace, with her blessings. Once Blue Suede Ascended to demi-godhood and homophobia in Ponyland died down to tolerable levels during their travels, they came back, and Blue Suede married Record Beat in a small ceremony. Record Beat eventually died from old age, which Blue Suede took extremely hard, and he had a difficult time attending his husband's funeral. Fortunately, Bossa Nova would be there to comfort Blue Suede and help him come to terms with his husband's death, while personally ushering Record Beat into the appropriate Heaven-Realm as a reward for taking such good care of his twin brother.
- Subverted with him and his first wife, Venerable Grace Heartstrings. Because homosexual relationships were forbidden in Ponyland at the time, Blue Suede was forced to break up with his coltfriend, Record Beat, and married Venerable Grace on "Colonel" Hollow Note's advice to make it look like he was going through a 'phase'. Although they tried to make their marriage work, it became clear that Blue Suede only saw Venerable Grace as his sister, and his heart was already set on Record Beat, his First Love. Venerable Grace knew how miserable Blue Suede felt, so she divorced him to let him be with Record Beat. Though much like Elvis Presley and his ex-wife, Priscilla Ann Presley, they remained good friends afterwards.
- In the Fourth Age, after defeating 'The Colonel' in a Battle in the Center of the Mind, he would fall in love with and marry his long-time friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, who had helped him accept his own pride. Although he's often assumed to be the dominant partner due to being much taller, it's actually Stoltur who's dominant, due to Blue Suede/Caerulus' more emotional and submissive personality. That being said, Stoltur has been helping Caerulus build his self-confidence by encouraging him to be more active and taking turns on being dominant/submissive during sex. Stoltur and Caerulus' love, trust, and devotion to each other is so great that when Touha and his siblings spy on the two having consensual missionary sex in private, they're left feeling aroused and giddy from watching. Both Stoltur and Caerulus are also Good Parents to their infant son Prince Perfect Tone, who was 'born' from a positve karmic backlash thanks to their actions, and are raising him together with love and care despite the sheer unexpectedness of his arrival.
- Hate Plague: As part of his Love domain, he can inflict a curse that gives his target(s) a hateful presence that causes people to flee or turn away in disgust and scorn. This is used to punish those who abuse their friends and/or break friendships for cruel reasons; the only way to escape this curse is to repent for their actions.
- Healing Hands: He can heal others with music... provided the people being healed can hear him. Thankfully, he's quite creative in getting his music across, such as stomping the ground (or any surface) in rhythmic patterns. This allows deaf and/or hearing-impaired individuals to "feel" his music and allow his magic to still take effect. Notably, he revitalized and healed a completely exhausted Miracle Hymn, allowing the Dazzling Divas to launch their desperate plan to defeat Elephant witch Ivory Towers, though his identity wouldn't be revealed to all until much later, when the Dazzling Divas experienced their Darkest Hour after Ivory Towers gained a power boost from becoming a Cleric for Avarita, the Tyrannos god of Greed.
- The Heart: A large factor in why he became such a popular celebrity in the Second Age is because of his humility and compassion towards everyone, especially his fans. It was even joked In-Universe during that time that he was so famous, he could potentially end squabbles and conflicts just by showing up. True to form, after Ascending to godhood, he would work on resolving the boiling tensions left behind by crises of the Second Age, and would continue doing so well into the Fourth Age. It's later deconstructed as he cared for everyone so much that he ignored and even repressed his traumas and worst flaws - which consists of three Ages worth of mental/emotional baggage. This culminated in a spectacular psychological breakdown, a near-transformation into a Fallen Alicorn, and an Angst Coma, in that order. Then it's reconstructed when his friends saved him by helping him defeat 'The Colonel' causing his Angst Coma, leaving him a broken wreck but allowing him to finally heal from all the abuse and other bad experiences he went through in the past.
- Heavenly Blue: Pun aside, he's an Alicorn god with a dark blue mane and tail composed of magical soundwaves, with light blue musical bars and notes running through them. He's also a benevolent stallion who is known for his humility and good deeds. After being crowned Prince, he became a Reasonable Authority Figure, a loving husband to long-time friend Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, and the father of infant Prince Perfect Tone. In his case, dark blue symbolizes his kind nature and eventual acceptance of his own flaws, as well as his happy marriage to a God of Evil.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: While disguised as a mortal unicorn stallion, he usually wears a black leather jacket with a pair of black sunglasses. After being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, though, he ditches his leather jacket in favor of wearing divine cobalt-blue barding with silver designs on it. That being said, it's mentioned that he still appeared as his mortal self on numerous occasions.
- Hero-Worshipper: Played straight and inverted.
- He idolized Black Domino, known as "Fats Domino" on-stage, for being one of the first pioneers of Rock and Roll and (in Blue's mind) a far better singer and performer. It got to the point where Blue refused to be called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" because if there's any musician who's far more deserving of the title, it's Black Domino.
- In a roundabout way, he ended up being idolized himself, particularly by an orphaned pegasus filly and a rehabilitated Maretian weapons experiment that she called "Stitch". The pegasus filly and her alien friend, who were both raised by the former's older sister in the Sandwich Islands, were huge fans of Blue and cited him as their role model in looks and personality. In turn, Blue donated large sums of his own money to support the small family purely out of goodwill.
- Mercy from the Terran Empire also became a huge fan of his, as Golden Scepter mentions Blue in a conversation with the Four Terrors in a canonized Codexverse quote.
- Flabber, the mentor of the Second-Age Beetleborgs group, also idolized Blue and often imitated him, including wearing Blue's iconic pompadour. Flabber meeting his idol got him really excited.Flabber: You're...you're Blue Suede Heartstrings! I'm a huge fan!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Hehe, I can tell.
Flabber: What gave it away, was it the hair?
- Blue Goldstone, a divine member of the Trimortidae, idolized him when he was very young thanks to his mother, who was also a huge fan of Blue Suede herself. Gold tried emulating Blue Suede in both personality and looks, and was even inspired to take up drumming. However, it's deconstructed as Gold would become incredibly disillusioned with Blue Suede once the latter turned out to be not as perfect as initially assumed. This, combined with his father's sudden death in a store robbery and his stepfather's lack of sympathy, turned him into a bitter, depressed, and apathetic person. But after dying while saving a high school classmate from being harassed by a Greaser gang, Gold would meet Blue Suede in person, and the ensuing conversation caused Gold to realize that he was sharing the same bad attitudes as everyone else at the time, which he apologized for. Then it's reconstructed when Gold accepted Blue Suede's flaws, restoring his faith and respect in his idol, and continues emulating him while being aware of each other's flawed natures, which eventually allowed him to Ascend. He and Blue remain very good friends to this day.
- Hidden Depths:
- A Codexverse drabble reveals that he knew all along that the "King in Heaven" he worshiped is likely as flawed as mortal/divine sapientkind, yet still continues to worship him anyway. When Prince Written Word asks him why he continues to have faith in a flawed god, he replies with this answer:Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...My parents were good folks. Even if we hadn't a single penny to our names, they still wanted to see me raised right. And it's 'cause of them that I got introduced to the King. They taught me that the King in Heaven is a humble and caring god, who created all of us out of love. By following His example, even through the bad times, folks like you and me can become as great as He is.
I know we ain't perfect... none of us are. Even the higher powers themselves got an ugly side. I've seen even the kindest of 'em stand on a pillar and act like they know better than others, as if their power and long life makes 'em natural leaders or somethin'. And I admit, seeing them act that way made me wonder if the King in Heaven acts like it, too, sometimes... but then I realized that's just how the world is. Some folks are born good while other folks are born bad. Sometimes in-between.
However, that don't mean we can't better ourselves. The King in Heaven might be flawed, yes, but it's likely that He always tries to be good, no matter what. And if He can try, then we can try, too. That's why I still follow Him. I might not always be humble, but the King gives me hope that I can still stay true to myself even when I am tempted.
- A canonized drabble reveals that he is very good at playing piano, despite being primarily a guitar player. His older twin brother, Bossa Nova, was amazed after watching Blue perform a live piano cover of Colton John's song "Tiny Dancer", with Blue's godson Shamrock dancing ballet to it. According to one of the Codexverse writers, she based it on both her love for "Tiny Dancer" (and Florence's cover of it) and the fact that she found photos of Elvis Presley playing piano during an internet search.Bossa Nova Heartstrings: Wow... Blue, I didn't know you could play piano!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Eh, it's something I picked up in my spare time, Brother. I love my guitar but... gotta try something new every once in a while, y'know?
- Despite his forgiving nature, he feels unwilling to forgive his Second-Age record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, for exploiting and abusing him during almost his entire music career. Blue feels bad about this because the "King in Heaven" he worships preaches forgiveness, and he sees himself as "a failure and a hypocrite" for not practicing this virtue in this case. Changeling Queen Ithomiini has to assure him that yes, eventually he has to let go of Hollow Note's memory, but his feelings towards his ex-manager are understandable because something as bad as Hollow Note's abuse isn't so easily forgiven.
- His various past relationships with both mares and stallions gave him in-depth experience and knowledge regarding types of relationships in general. He would later use this knowledge to help Prince Shamrock come to terms with his Asexuality.
- He served in the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War' as a sniper, during which he would be named "The Blue Death" for his fearsome skills. According to him, he trained himself to become a sniper out of sheer necessity after getting sick of witnessing much blood being shed from both allies and enemies alike; once the war ended, he never picked up a gun again. He hated the idea of hurting anything as a colt, even when his father, Copper Wheel Heartstrings, offered to take him hunting, but somehow he ended up fighting a war anyway, which he finds very ironic.
- A Codexverse drabble reveals that he knew all along that the "King in Heaven" he worshiped is likely as flawed as mortal/divine sapientkind, yet still continues to worship him anyway. When Prince Written Word asks him why he continues to have faith in a flawed god, he replies with this answer:
- Historical Badass Upgrade: He's based on Elvis Presley, one of the most famous rockstars of his time. Both were former soldiers, but whereas Elvis served a two-year draft term during World War II and came back a private, Blue Suede became a war hero and a feared sniper known as "The Blue Death" from the Second Maretian-Tellusian War. And while Elvis is remembered as an influential figure in the growth of bo rock-and-roll and modern rock, he's also remembered for his degrading career and obesity in his later years, and his rather Undignified Death. By contrast, Blue Suede would meet Luminiferous during a very low point in his life while he was still relatively young. The pep-talk he received motivated Blue Suede to quit being a career musician and travel around the world, doing good deeds until he became the Alicorn god of Music and Humility (which he sees as ironic due to his religious background). Later, after overcoming his abuse-related traumas and issues, he would become an even more powerful god while learning under various deities, and he would become an Alicorn Prince afterwards.
- Historical Beauty Update: While he initially had the same huge appetite as Elvis Presley did, he would cut down it significantly after having a food-fueled nightmare about becoming grossly fat in his old age, resulting in him retaining his handsomeness by the time he Ascended to godhood. By stark contrast, Elvis didn't develop the same restraint, and he grew really fat in the last years of his life.
- Holier Than Thou: Defied. Despite being a devoutly religious stallion - or perhaps because of it - he remains incredibly humble and kind. As he points out to the Poenan goddess Lamperielpida, he doesn't want to act "high and mighty" because it will disappoint both his parents, who raised him well, and the "King in Heaven", the very god he worships. Instead, he only preaches the values and examples shown by the "King in Heaven". Even though he makes mistakes and has flaws of his own, he simply acknowledges them and tries to make up for them as best as he can.
- Holy Halo: Prince Crystal Clear's entry reveals that he has a divine halo made of music energy, which he developed early due to being a 'prodigy deity'. Presumably, he hid it out of humility until certain events made him comfortable with appearing as his true self.
- Honorary Uncle:
- He was named a godfather for Shamrock, Clover's son, by Clover herself after mentoring her and helping her deal with the trauma of fighting Queen Dark Crystal, as well as being temporarily killed by her during the final battle. Clover admits that she could have chosen one of her friends from the 'Tales Seven' group instead, but realized that Blue might be the best person to turn to if her son ends up inheriting her klutziness and insecurities that plagued her her entire life. Afterwards, Blue more than lived up to his status by supporting Shamrock, tutoring him until he Ascended to Alicornhood, and helped his godson recover from various traumas, such as going through the "Void Aeon" event, losing his mortal family to old age, and having Stitching Time turn into Final Epoch and sealed away. He even protected Shamrock from a corrupt and abusive ballet manager by teaming up with Clover to give said manager a thorough chewing-out that lasted over an hour. And when Shamrock approached him for advice on relationships and how to deal with his Asexuality, Blue proceeds to give him some sound advice, before having "a nice, long talk" with Shamrock's friends for being so insensitive to his godson.
- He was also this to Prince Maestro of the Virtusidae. Due to his mother, Melody, having a close friendship with Blue, Maestro spent enough time around Blue to start seeing him as his "uncle". Maestro's entry notes that Blue had as much influence on him as he had for Shamrock - he taught Maestro how to become an Alicorn after the latter expressed his desire to become one so he could become the honest record executive/agent everyone needed. Maestro's worst traits, such as his ego, spoiled behavior, and tendency to attract multiple partners, were also reduced to manageable levels by Blue, since he's the Alicorn god of Humility.
- Hope Bringer: While it's debated In-Universe on what he did during the "Void Aeon" event, many believe that he continued performing to inspire hope among mortal sapientkind, and protected the innocent (especially his fans) from the various monsters that sprung up during the conflict. As the god of Music, he even has this trope as a power, as he can play music to inspire joy and hope in his listeners. It also has the effect of dispelling the effects of spells that operate through fear and hatred.
- Hot-Blooded: Despite his humility and his laidback, mellow temperament, it's gradually revealed that Blue Suede's more emotional and hot-tempered than he appears, as he becomes openly angry and upset with things he truly hates, such as abusive record managers. By contrast, his older identical twin brother, Bossa Nova, is normally easy to anger but falls into an extremely cold rage when he's really pissed off. It's later deconstructed when it's discovered that Blue Suede's more hot-blooded moments come from him suppressing his anger for three Ages after beating up his own abusive record manager in a momentary fit of rage, with short burts in-between afterward. It backfired on him enormously when his traumas grew to the point where he can't suppress them anymore, leading to his near-fall. It wasn't until Mentálne brought in Yarost during their psychiatric sessions that Blue Suede comes to terms with his anger and learns to control it in healthier ways.
- Hot God: His entry describes his true form as a tall and handsome Alicorn god. However, it's noted that he's incredibly handsome even when he was a mortal, and his favorite form as a mortal unicorn reflects this.
- Humble Hero: Justified. Much like Elvis, Blue Suede had a religious upbringing, and his humility became one of his defining traits. He hated being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" when there were certain individuals who deserved it more, and after Ascending to godhood, he preferred to appear as a mortal because he didn't wanted to be treated differently for being a god. Appropriately, one of his divine domains is Humility, which he uses to help redeem prideful individuals. This turned Blue Suede into a beloved figure worldwide, and led to him becoming friends with Fluttershy, who is similarly humble despite being Queen of Friendship Gardens.
- However, it's later deconstructed - three Ages worth of trauma gave Blue Suede PTSD and other issues that went untreated for a long time, and what didn't help was people treating him like an Embodiment of Virtue and expecting him to act like it, ignoring that he's still someone with his own wants and needs. As a result, he falls into a downward spiral of self-loathing and resentment, and in trying to fulfill his reputation, he represses his 'bad' emotions, including pride, not realizing that pride is essential to good emotional health. So when his long-time friend Prince Stoltur notices how he's been putting himself down and tries to warn everyone about it, Blue Suede finally snaps and suffers a mental breakdown, first nearly transforming into a Fallen Alicorn, and then falling into an Angst Coma from the sheer psychological stress. Even worse, Blue Suede's fear of becoming Not So Different from people like War Rock should he feel pride led to the birth of 'The Colonel', the living representation of all his worst flaws and emotions that almost overtook him completely in his moment of emotional weakness.
- Then it's reconstructed when, thanks to the encouragement of friends and loved ones who cared for him, Blue Suede finally accepted his prideful feelings, which allowed him to kill 'The Colonel' for good once he teamed up with Prince Stoltur. And while he made a full psychological recovery, he finally understood that it's okay to feel pride in healthy ways, since constructive pride is all about loving yourself for who you are, flaws and all. This leads to Blue Suede practicing true humility, and it influences him to fall in love with Stoltur, whom he would eventually marry. It also leads to him joining the Equestrian Pantheon and become a Prince, something that made everyone feel overjoyed since it's a sign that he's finally accepting a title that he more than rightfully earned.
- Hurting Hero: Double-subverted. While he has endured many tragedies over the Ages, including the deaths of his parents and being exploited by an abusive and controlling record manager, Blue is more or less able to power through them because he has so many friends and loved ones who are willing to support him. However, it is implied that despite this, some trauma still lingers, especially in regards to his manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, and his reluctance to forgive him caused Blue to see himself as a Hypocrite for not following the "King in Heaven"'s example in forgiveness. When he finally confesses this to his various friends and loved ones, everyone becomes extremely willing to help him recover from it out of gratitude for helping them, causing Blue to break down crying.
- During his argument with the Poenan goddess Lamperielpida, in response to being called out on using faith to enable her peers and followers' self-righteous fanaticism, the latter accuses him of not preaching about the "King in Heaven" to the masses despite claiming to worship him. This gets Blue rather angry.Blue Suede heartstrings: (angrily) That's 'cause I don't WANNA be all high and mighty! I don't wanna brag and boast 'bout how the King in Heaven is a great guy and everyone should follow him! My Ma and Pa raised me BETTER than that. It'll break their hearts if I started gettin' all uppity, and I KNOW it'll offend the King in Heaven if he were to see me doin' it, too. The King in Heaven may not be perfect himself, but at least he knows it and TRIES to do good when he is tempted. THAT'S why I follow him. I'm no preacher. I'm no good at doing their fancy word stuff like Written Word or Star Echo. I'm just an entertainer. I only teach folks how to follow the values and examples shown by the King in Heaven, nothing more.
- However, as a canonized drabble reveals, deep down he really does see himself as a hypocrite. Despite the "King in Heaven" preaching forgiveness, Blue feels reluctant to forgive his record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, for exploiting, abusing, and manipulating him throughout almost his entire music career in the Second Age, and still has lingering trauma from dealing with him. Changeling Queen Ithomiini assures Blue that he isn't a hypocrite because he always tries to make amends for his mistakes, and that Blue's feelings towards Hollow Note are valid because what his manager did cannot be so easily forgiven... but also reminds him that he still has to learn when to let go because not all managers are not like Hollow Note, "just like all directors are not like Colton Marentino".
- During his argument with the Poenan goddess Lamperielpida, in response to being called out on using faith to enable her peers and followers' self-righteous fanaticism, the latter accuses him of not preaching about the "King in Heaven" to the masses despite claiming to worship him. This gets Blue rather angry.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Due to being identical twin brothers, he and Bossa Nova look almost exactly the same in both their mortal and divine forms, save for a few differences - he has a dark blue mane and tail, and his Cutie Mark depicts a red, heart-shaped guitar. His true form as an Alicorn god has wings with a dark blue gradient, and his hair is made of dark blue energy soundwaves with light blue musical bars and notes running through them. His Cutie Mark has the same halo of notes as Bossa Nova's does, except the guitar part of his Cutie Mark is flanked with white wings instead of black. The fact that they're identical twins initially caused Temnobog to assume that they were magically separated in the womb by their own father until they confirmed that no, they were just born that way.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty: Subverted. After Ascending to Alicornhood in the early Second Age, he became immortal and remained forever in his prime as an incredibly handsome stallion. However, as deities only get Stronger with Age in the Codexverse, he would continue "growing" and become more eldritch, which Mzazi states is normal for Alicorns. As such, his wings gained a magical gradient that goes from bright yellow-orange to dark blue, and a mane and tail made of magical sound energy. Due to being a "prodigy" deity, he developed a Holy Halo made of music energy and is already showing signs of growing a second pair of wings, despite not reaching the divine rank of "Titan" yet. And because he Ascended shortly before Bossa Nova did, he's now "older" than him by divine standards despite being younger biologically, something that his brother hilariously didn't take well but gradually accepted.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: Implied. Upon discovering he's an Alicorn god in a mortal guise, many gods and goddesses have tried making him wear regal-looking clothes/regalia instead of his favorite leather jacket so he could look more dignified for his divine station. Unfortunately, the clothes/regalia he is forced to wear often turn out to be uncomfortable and itchy. This is partially why he refuses to wear anything his fellow deities suggest, besides his humble nature. Amina, the Griffon Goddess of Selfless Love, sympathizes with him over this because she's often subjected to the same thing.
- Instrument of Murder: His primary weapon is a heart-shaped magitech guitar, built to replace the electric guitars of the Second Age as magic was restored at the end of the "Void Aeon" conflict. He channels most of his magic, especially his Music-related magic, through it, which can provide a disadvantage should he lose it somehow. In physical combat, he can use it as a blunt-force weapon.
- Intergenerational Friendship: His friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, is a "Tier II"-ranked Deer god of Evil and Pride who was born in Cervidia during the Fourth Age, and thus is much younger than him. It later upgrades to MayDecember Romance after Blue Suede fully recovers from his traumas and learns to accept his own prideful feelings, leading to him marrying Stoltur.
- Interrupted Suicide: He was just about to jump off a cliff in despair and guilt when he was found by his loved ones, with Shamrock being among them. Shamrock successfully talked him out of committing suicide and forgave him for his mistakes, which drove Blue Suede to tears and share a hug with his godson afterwards. It's noted that even if he did go through with his decision, he would likely not be hurt much thanks to his divinity.
- Interspecies Friendship:
- He is an Alicorn god of Music and Humility, born in southern Ponyland during the early parts of the Second Age. His friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, is a Deer god of Evil and Pride who was born in the cold realm of Cervidia during the Fourth Age. Later on, after overcoming his issues and traumas regarding pride, he joins the Equestrian Pantheon and marries Prince Stoltur.
- He also befriended Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love, at some point during his travels. Amina greatly approves of Blue Suede's humility and compassion, while Blue Suede has acted as a father-figure for her. And because they're both travelers (at least initially in Blue Suede's case), they have often crossed paths and traveled together, either performing duets or spreading love and friendship through their domains. By Blue Suede's own admission, he first met Amina when the latter heard him playing music and suddenly asked him if he wanted to 'jam' with her, startling Blue Suede into falling out of the tree he was relaxing in.
- Interspecies Romance: What his Inter Species Friendship with Prince Stoltur later evolves to. During his recovery, he finally understood Pride's beneficial aspects and accepted that it's okay to feel pride, which led to him and Stoltur becoming coltfriends. Later, after he is crowned as Prince and they join the Equestrian Pantheon together, he and Stoltur would marry each other in a small wedding ceremony. Their actions even birthed a son, Prince Perfect Tone, who was created by the karmic backlash of Humility and Pride coming together instead of opposing each other as strictly 'good' and 'evil' concepts.
- In-Universe, he notes the sheer irony of himself, a devoutly religious stallion, Ascending to godhood and becoming part of the "King in Heaven" he revered since foalhood.
- Hilariously, after recording the song, "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" during a dark period in his life, he would end up meeting two "devil(s) in disguise", Luminiferous and Prince Stoltur Skjöldur. The former played a role in him eventually Ascending to godhood, while the latter would become one of his best friends (and later, his husband) in the Fourth Age.
- Another hilarious irony is that his meeting with Luminiferous during a low point in his life was not brought about by the "King in Heaven" he prayed to and worshiped... but by his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, who was an ordinary psychopomp at the time and had directed Luminiferous to Blue to make up for accidentally subjecting his brother to a brutal Trauma Conga Line. Blue himself admits that he was mad at Bossa Nova for this, but nevertheless forgave him as his older brother truly meant well and did apologize for it, and acknowledged that he still would've been under the hoof of an exploitative and controlling record manager if Bossa Nova didn't interfere with his life.
- Ironic Fear: He refuses to get into acting again because when he was still a mortal, he was forced to make movies for profit by "Colonel" Hollow Note once his talent for acting was made apparent, leaving him with an underlying fear of being exploited again. This is despite embodying Performance and having shapeshifting abilities, which would make him good at acting. He would eventually get over this thanks to Sola Mors and Queen Ithomiini, though.
- I Should Have Been Better:
- By his own admission, despite his general feelings of disgust and anger towards War Rock as the epitome of everything he hated about the music industry, he genuinely respected his rival's musical talent and was saddened over being unable to help War Rock humble himself.
- He also expressed regret over not being there for the fallen Malrègnarian Pantheon, lamenting how he wasn't able to help the Malrègnarian deities humble themselves and atone for their mistakes so they could become better sovereigns for the mortals they mistreated. Iniquitous tells him not to waste his tears over them, as the Malrègnarian deities were incompetent and hedonistic fools who let their own flaws rage out of control, while ignoring any chance for redemption out of arrogance until it was too late. She also informs him that for all his power and desire to help others, he is still only one god.Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...If only I had been there, I would've helped 'em. Made 'em realize how much their pride was hurtin' their people so they could become better. Now it's too late for me to fix things and make it up to the folks livin' here... May the King in Heaven have mercy on their souls.
Vicearch Iniquitous: Do not waste your tears on the fallen fools, Sovereign of Music. The problems that plagued these lands had dug their roots into the ground long before even We came to be. Even if they had someone to help them, we doubt they would heed the advice given to them, considering the atrocious development of their characters. They were meant to be the most virtuous, the most benevolent, and the mightiest of the gods in these realms. But instead, they abused their divinity and status as protectors, providers, and sovereigns, frolicking about and selfishly tending to their own needs.
- Jerkass Gods: Averted. One In-Universe backstory theory depicted him as this, ala Galactus. According to that backstory, he was once an apathetic and selfish god who constantly ate populated worlds, so he was transformed/reincarnated into an amnesiac mortal and forced to live on Equus as punishment. He gradually Took a Level in Kindness after coming into frequent contact with a single Pony mother and her young son, causing him to appreciate his fellow mortals, and ultimately chose to stay on Equus even after his memories were restored. The reality is that Blue is a flawed yet very humble and compassionate stallion, and only appears in his true form as an Alicorn god when it's absolutely necessary.
- Karmic Jackpot:
- Blue continued staying humble, despite his fame and reputation as one of the most famous and recognizable celebrity icons of the Second Age, and refused to let himself fall into the same hubris and corruption that affected his friends and associates. After meeting Luminiferous and quitting his job as a career musician to perform on his own terms, Blue accumulated a lot of good deeds that allowed him to Ascend as the Alicorn god of Humility. As a result, many benevolent deities, including Queen Dazzleglow herself, are interested in him because of the damaging effects unchecked Pride can inflict on sapientkind.
- Blue genuinely loved interacting with his fans and always made time for them after his concerts, whether to sign autographs or to just talk with them. He was even willing to protect his fans from those who want to harm them, such as tribalists. This is largely why his popularity and reputation as a celebrity were both able to last long after the Second Age ended, in contrast to War Rock whose raging narcissism, god complex, and willingness to murder his own fans eventually cost him everything, including his life. In fact, after sordid details of War Rock's personal life and treatment of others were released after his death, a significantly huge portion of War Rock's fanbase flocked to Blue because of his long-standing Nice Guy attitude, despite Blue being rather uncomfortable with the massive spike in popularity.
- Even in the Second Age, Blue both respected and befriended Ponies from all tribes, and he would extend his hoof to non-Equine sapient races after the Second Age Ended. He is also a very staunch opponent of tribalism/racism, having personally witnessed the horrors of such behavior up close and being a frequent target of tribalists/Autorists himself, to the point where it became one of few things that clearly angers and upsets him. This would eventually earn Blue the attention and adoration of King Ibrida, the god of Hybrids, who also experienced racism throughout his life for being born a hybrid and approves of Blue's stance against racism and bigotry.
- Blue Suede befriended Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, the Bogolenya Deer-Draconequus god of Evil and Pride, despite the latter's inner evil and vain nature. This in part would save Blue when he was captured, abused, and nearly wrongfully punished by the Elternteil Deer Pantheon for "stealing away" some of their Alvslog Deer subjects, as his connection to the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon (and Emperor Golden Scepter) would be pointed out by Belyolen. Blue Suede's friendship with Stoltur would also save him when he fell into an Angst Coma following a spectacular breakdown, and it was Stoltur's encouragement that allowed Blue Suede to defeat 'The Colonel', and finally made him understand and accept the beneficial aspects of pride. This ultimately led to him being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, something that he more than rightfully earned.
- Blue mentored Clover Bloom, a Second-Age superheroine and member of the 'Tales Seven' group, and helped her get over her trauma of fighting Queen Dark Crystal and her mistakes that led to her and her friends' (temporary) deaths at Dark Crystal's hooves. In return, when she gave birth to Shamrock, Clover decided to name Blue her son's godfather instead of one of her friends, which played a long way in Shamrock becoming an Alicorn and recovering from the various tragedies and hardships he would suffer.
- Blue Suede tried helping everyone all over the world as much as he could, and was a good teacher to many of his students, who were able to Ascend to godhood because of him. This would later save his life when both he and Bossa Nova fell into an Angst Coma - a group of Blue Suede's friends and students entered his mind in order to save him and his brother, and upon meeting 'The Colonel', they would help Blue Suede break free from the Colonel and regain his pride, allowing him to kill the Colonel for good. And when he woke up fully expecting everyone he knew to abandon him with the knowledge that he's not as perfect or humble as he appeared, everyone is willing to pay him back for all the good things he did for them as a huge 'thank you' by helping him recover from his breakdown. This caused Blue Suede to start crying.Sola Mors: You've helped us so much, Bluey. ALL of us. Now it's our turn to help YOU.
- The entire Virtusidae would later hold a Surprise Party in the Fourth Age for both him and Bossa Nova to show their collective appreciation towards the twin Alicorns for being there for all of them since the Second Age.
- Blue Suede/Caerulus' act of falling in love with Prince Stoltur and marrying him led to a magical karmic backlash that created their biological son, Prince Perfect Tone, the infant Alicorn 'Godling' of Temperance, Music, Potential, and Dreams. Caerulus' marriage to Stoltur also had huge ramifications for the world, as it proved that pride can coexist with humility as a beneficial force, rather than being a dangerous vice that must be done away with completely.
- During one of his travels, Blue Suede would meet Vicearch Iniquitous and earn both her respect and hospitality with his humble, polite, and virtuous character. However, it's revealed that Iniquitous knew of his growing mental/emotional instability, yet chose not to exploit it because she predicted he had potential to change his ways. When Blue Suede comes back to Malrègnar some years later as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, Iniquitous is both pleased and impressed to hear that not only Caerulus successfully overcame his worst flaws and trauma with his friends' support, but gained a full understanding of the beneficial aspects of pride and married the god of Pride who helped him recover. As a reward, Iniquitous deems him worthy of receiving her "unhallowed protection".
- Later invoked by him after his son's 'birth' - as a huge 'thank you' for being there for him both pre- and post-Ascension, Blue Suede/Caerulus appointed a few people like Record Beat and Venerable Grace as the godparents of Prince Perfect Tone. Venerable Grace in particular was approached because she married Caerulus just to assure the public that he wasn't gay and ended up with a husband who didn't love her. By her own admission, Venerable Grace was so overwhelmed by Caerulus' offer to become a godmother that she got 'tongue-tied'... after which Perfect Tone proceeded to boop her on the nose.Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Hey Gracey, mind if Ah ask ya somethin'?
Venerable Grace: Sure. What is it?
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Mind bein' the godmother of lil' Tony here?
Venerable Grace: ...Me? But why?
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Ah married ya 'cause that greedy snake got ya involved in my affairs, an' honestly, ya didn't deserve any a' that. Even if we didn't work out, you've been like the sister Ah never had. So Ah thought Ah'd reward ya fer all the help an' kindness ya gave me.
Venerable Grace: By Magne... Blue, I-I dont know what to say-
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Hehe, guess Tony already likes ya.
- Karmic Transformation: After learning under various deities like Pakak, he gained the ability to wield curses and hexes as part of his Humility domain, since learning humility sometimes involves a Break the Haughty process.
- Sometime before his coronation, he would humiliate a rather arrogant and boastful noblemare by temporarily transforming her head into that of a clucking rooster. This cared Bossa Nova when he witnessed it, though Blue Suede assured his brother that he's "fine".Bossa Nova Heartstrings: Hey, uh... Blue?
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Yeah?
Bossa Nova Heartstrings: Remind me not ta piss ya off in the future.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Ah think yer fine...
- In one post-crowning incident, various sensationalist groups (aided by Clovenist agents and Propagare cultists) portrayed him as a bigot who 'favors' Equestria simply for deciding to settle down in the Equestrian Pantheon after globe-trotting for so long. Blue Suede/Caerulus was angered to the point where he turned the heads of said sensationlist groups into clucking roosters as punishment for willingly participating in Malicious Slander.
- As punishment for experimenting on Pony foals to crack the secrets of divine Ascension, Caerulus gave a group of captured Alicorn Ascendancy scientists a two-fold curse that he created with Princess Winter Opera - they would be turned into 'Pseudoalicorns', yet rendered them completely powerless so they wouldn't cause any harm in their new forms. The only way to escape the curse is to acknowledge their wrongdoing and atone honestly. While some of the scientists did even more horrible things to reverse the curse, others denounced the Alicorn Ascendancy as depraved criminals and defected entirely.Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Y'all wanna be Alicorns that bad, huh?
Alicorn Ascendancy scientist: If we have to experiment on a thousand ponies to obtain one Alicorn, so be it. All our efforts will be worth it if they allow us to obtain godhood.
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Hmm... Ah see. Very well! Guess Lil' Winny an' Ah'll hafta reward ya fer all yer hard work.
Alicorn Ascendancy scientist: Oh, thank you - ! Wait, what's this? What happened to my magic?! How come I can't use my magic?!
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Well, when Ah said Lil' Winny an' Ah'll reward ya fer all yer hard work, Ah meant it. Y'all are now Alicorns. Except thanks to Lil' Winny right 'ere, y'all don't have any magic. At all. Which means you fellas can't do jack shit in yer new forms now, unless y'all repent fer yer crimes.
Alicorn Ascendancy scientist: This isn't - ! This isn't what we wanted!
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Should've thought o' that before harmin' the little ones under yer care. Be glad it's me yer talkin' to right now an' not mah darlin' Stolts, 'cause he would've done far worse than me.
- He transformed a group of rather misandric Pony mares into stallions as punishment for mistreating Prince Terrae Equestria for being born a divine Equestrian Prince in a 'matriarchy'. While some of the transformed mares grew more hateful in response, others realized the error of their ways after being on the receiving end of their own misandry and changed themselfs for the better.
- Sometime before his coronation, he would humiliate a rather arrogant and boastful noblemare by temporarily transforming her head into that of a clucking rooster. This cared Bossa Nova when he witnessed it, though Blue Suede assured his brother that he's "fine".
- Kids Are Cruel: He was subjected to some bullying as a colt for being a Momma's Boy.
- King Incognito:
- Because Blue is an Alicorn, he is technically royalty and would be rightly regarded as such by mortals if they saw his true form. He was also a "King", though on a figurative level as his title as "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" indicates his extreme mastery over music. But because he's so humble, he often appears in various mortal forms instead. Many gods and goddesses have tried convincing Blue to look, dress, and act accordingly to his divine station after discovering his true form, but he always refuses since he doesn't want to be treated differently from anyone else.
- It's later averted; once he makes a full psychological recovery from all the abuse-related trauma and other bad experiences he suffered for three Ages, he decides to settle down in the Equestrian Pantheon and is crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria by Princess Twilight/Amicitia. Having grown comfortable with being prideful thanks to his friend-turned-husband, Prince Stoltur, Caerulus has grown comfortable in being in his Alicorn form and isn't afraid to show it off in public.
- Large and in Charge: He's described as a tall and handsome Alicorn god who's taller than Queen Dazzleglow. After being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, he essentially became a divine sovereign whose duties involve watching over Equestria and protecting its residents.
- Large Ham: Much like Elvis Presley, he dedicates himself to entertaining his audiences when on-stage, usually by adding a wild, flashy, and charismatic swagger that makes people cheer and swoon over him.
- Like Brother and Sister: His relationship with his first wife, Venerable Grace. Because his heart was set on Record Beat, he didn't love Venerable Grace romantically and instead saw her as "the sister [he] never had" throughout their marriage. They remained close friends after their divorce, and three Ages later, he offered Venerable Grace's spirit to become a godmother for his infant son, Prince Perfect Tone, partially for this reason.
- Like Father, Like Son: He took up music as his future and became one of the most famous celebrity musicians in the Second Age, even Ascending to godhood later on (though that came about after meeting Luminiferous and quitting his job as a career musician). Two Ages later, one of his mortal descendants, Lyra Heartstrings would take up music as a lyrist. And to Lyra's shock, the rumors about her being related to "the King of Music" are actually true.
- Love Goddess: Gender-inverted. One of his domains is Love, but in his case he embodies Philia Love, also known as 'friendship'. He can see the bonds of friendships shared as 'ropes', allowing him to magically repair or sever them. He can also empower himself based on how much Philia Love is present, and empower others through his friendships with them; since he and his friends tend to be True Companions, this makes them super powerful. He also has curses for punishing those who abuse or break friendships for cruel reasons, such as inducing Hate Plagues. His domain is thematically tied to how he broke away from the toxic music/media industries and stayed true to himself thanks to people like Luminiferous His first entry notes that while his actions have led to friends becoming lovers, he has stated that friendship is a crucial step that leads to romantic love, as it requires developing long-established trust, respect, and faith for all people involved.
- Magical Eye: As the Alicorn god of Love (specifically, Philia Love), he can see the friendships that bind mortals/divines together as magical "rope". If the friendship(s) in question is damaged, the "rope" will become increasingly frayed unless an effort is made to mend it. This is what helps him seek out people who have troubled friendships and reconcile with their friends, and also allows him to cut the friendship "ropes", though he only does it in necessary situations, such as freeing people from magical coercion and/or deeply abusive friendships. He also uses his ability to assure his godson, Prince Shamrock, that he's still loved regardless of his Asexuality by using his domain of Philia Love spot thousands of "ropes" connecting him to various people as friends.
- Magic Hair: In his true form as an Alicorn god, his mane and tail are much longer and rippling, and they're made of dark blue energy soundwaves with lighter blue musical bars and notes running through them.
- Magic Music: As the Alicorn god of Music, he holds an extremely impressive mastery over music in general, which isn't surprising considering his origins. While he can use his music to calm and soothe listeners like Mier, Blue's entry notes that he can also inspire joy and hope in his listeners. Other techniques include empowering people physically and magically, dispelling the effects of fear and hatred-based spells, generating solid magic constructs of musical bars and notes to slam and crush enemies, growing soundwave "tentacles" to restrain and strangle his opponents, firing beams of musical energy, and healing. While he does run into the problem of people suffering from deafness and/or hearing problems, Blue is creative enough to try get around this disability by stomping the ground (or any surface, really) so they could "feel" his music and allow the magic to take effect. For wide-scale effects, he can generate an energy-based stage and extra magic instruments for fellow musicians to play with, allowing his magic to reach farther than ever. The Dazzling Divas' entries reveal that he can turn people into his Clerics and grant them the ability to use music-related magic through his Music domain, allowing the Dazzling Divas to perform greater feats when calling upon his power.
- Magitek: Despite having a red, heart-shaped electric guitar as his Cutie Mark, his main weapon is a heart-shaped magitech guitar named Burning Love. This is because magic returned after the "Void Aeon" event put an end to the Second Age, which rendered electrical appliances and objects useless and thus necessitated his switch from electric guitars to magitech ones.
- The Magnificent:
- He was initially known as "the King of Music" or, alternatively, "the King of Rock and Roll". However, like his character inspiration, he dislikes being referred to as such as he believes in the "King in Heaven", and there are Zebra musicians/pioneers of Rock and Roll who also sing better than him, such as Black Domino.
- Later on, after recovering from his psychological trauma and accepting it's okay to feel pride, he would be crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria in a divine coronation, during which he gained a new epithet, "The Humble Sovereign". It relates to how, despite his new status as an Alicorn Prince, he still remains humble and kind, though he now practices true humility by accepting his flaws and living with them so long as he regulates them.
- Make an Example of Them: A group of Griffon Autorists decided it was a good idea to make Blue Suede Heartstrings their first victim for his defiance, after the latter refused to budge and tried to talk them into leaving an Abyssinian settlement alone. This pushed an already impatient Blue - who was getting increasingly angry over the Griffon Autorists' racism and refusal to leave - to his breaking point until he snapped, and revealed his true Alicorn form to them with a powerful sonic scream.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: As part of his sonokinetic magic, he can unleash powerful, disorienting screams. He later upgraded this to Compelling Voice after learning under various deities by combining empathy with Magic Music.
- Make Some Noise: As the Alicorn god of Music, he can use sonokinetic magic, which allows him to manipulate sounds in general. He can unleash powerful, disorienting screams, induce vertigo in his opponents, hypnotize people with his singing, create violent earthquakes by sending powerful soundwaves through the ground, making powerful shockwaves to damage and blow back enemies, creating sound-based illusions, and nullifying sound indefinitely either to mask his own presence or make someone unable to create sounds of their own, effectively making them deaf and mute. However, Blue loathes using the latter ability as it robs them of their ability to listen to (and enjoy) his music. His entry notes that since his sonokinetic magic can be used without relying on his magitech guitar, he can still have an advantage should he lose his guitar somehow. Later on, after exploring his domains and himself as a person, he would manifest his sound magic as pure magical vibrations he can use to pinpoint weaknesses and shatter various objects with them by matching their vibration frequencies, such as structures, weapons, and even armor.
- Malicious Slander:
- He ends up on the receiving end by some Equestrian Clovenists, who portrayed him as a tyrannical Alicorn god who brainwashed and controlled his followers through music so he could Take Over the World. It's noted by Bossa Nova that it's not the first time this happened, as Blue was often accused of tribalism by tabloids to paint him as a musical fraud and "danger" to Ponyland's youth. Understandably, when Blue confronted the Equestrian Clovenists, he had turned into his true form as an Alicorn god while looking extremely angry, later leaving them begging for mercy from Princess Twilight/Amicitia Sparkle after he and Bossa Nova personally delivered the Equestrian Clovenists to her.
- After being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, he would be slandered as a bigot who 'favors' Equestria over other countries by various sensationalist groups (who received aid from both Clovenists and Propagare cultists) simply for wanting to stop traveling and settle down somewhere. Naturally, said sensationalist groups would have their heads transformed into clucking roosters by an angry Caerulus as punishment for believing and spreading lies about him.
- MasculineFeminine Gay Couple: He forms one with his husband, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur. Being a god of Pride, Stoltur is vain, bold, and assertive, while Caerulus, a god of Humility, is more empathetic, sensitive, and merciful. However, it's zigzagged as while Stoltur is the dominant partner, he has been helping Caerulus build his self-esteem by taking turns in being dominant/submissive during sex and encouraging him to take lead in general. This is extremely beneficial for Caerulus, who went through a particularly bad Trauma Conga Line that all but destroyed his sense of self-worth by the time he got out of it.
- Mask of Sanity: After he was saved from the Elternteil Deer Pantheon by Belyolen, Blue Suede's life started spiraling downwards. To make up for this, he made huge efforts in masking his traumas, 'bad' emotions, and flaws from his family and friends so he wouldn't burden them with his problems. However, the mask started cracking by the time Stoltur noticed how often Blue Suede puts himself down and warns everyone of what's happening. And once cornered and confronted on his issues, Blue Suede has a meltdown, ranting about how everyone either abused him or blindly put him on a pedestal and expected him to live up to it, which leads to his near-transformation into a Fallen Alicorn.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Due to being Bossa Nova's younger twin brother, this means that he is related to multiple members of the Trimortidae by adoption, including Moon Ray Vaughoof, Cloudy Brush, Sola Mors, Blue Goldstone, and Knight Shade.
- Master of Disguise: As a god of Performance, he is really good at blending in with mortal races of Equus, and can simply do so by using shapeshifting magic to alter his voice and change his appearance until he resembles a member of a certain race depending on where he is, such as a Dragon, a Changeling, a Kirin, a Griffon, and the like. What helps immensely is his skill in masking his own Primordial Quintessence, and his previous experiences as a movie actor. However, his abilities are not infallible - deities with Truth domains can see right through his disguises, while those with strong psychic powers, such as Elske and Golden Scepter, can still sense something off about his presence.
- Master of Illusion: One of the things he can do with his sonokinetic magic is create multiple sound-based illusions.
- MayDecember Romance: Technically, his marriage to Prince Stoltur is this. Stoltur's a "Tier II"-ranked god (maximum age is 1000 years), while Blue Suede/Caerulus is a "Tier IV"-ranked god (maximum age is 100,000 years), making him vastly older than Stoltur. Despite this, age doesn't really matter since deities grow differently than mortals, and Stoltur and Caerulus are Happily Married.
- MayflyDecember Romance: Justified. His entry mentions that he had a few past relationships with both mares and stallions, but was completely faithful and loving to all of them. One of his partners was Record Beat, a unicorn DJ who became his first coltfriend/husband during the early Second Age. However, because he became a god sometime after, he ended up outliving his partners, who were often mortal, though he never forgot their faces and names long after their deaths. Lyra Heartstrings is a mortal demi-divine descendant from the Fourth Age through one of his deceased lovers.
- Meaningful Name:
- The first two parts of his name were taken from the song "Blue Suede Shoes", a song written by Carl Perkins before it was famously covered by Elvis Presley. "Blue Suede Shoes" being a Berserk Button about people stepping on the singer's shoes also applies in that Blue has a few triggers of his own, except in his case, it's Fantastic Racism, which he sees as stupid and childish, and people who "cheapen" music and/or misuse it for evil, which tugs at his heartstrings in a not-so-good way.
- "Heartstrings" refers to deep feelings of love or compassion. He's a very humble and kind-hearted person who befriends people from different races/tribes despite imposed tribal/racial barriers, which is not surprising since Elvis Presley was humble himself and respected African-American musicians in a time when it was greatly frowned upon, causing him to be generally hailed as a hero in the African-American communities.
- "Blue" can refer to feelings of melancholy, sadness, and/or depression. Alternatively, it can refer to the blues genre, which is characterized by melancholic and depressive lyrics. His life was marred by three Ages worth of tragedy and hardship, including abuse from several malicious and/or arrogant individuals, outliving all of his mortal friends and loved ones from the Second Age, and witnessing only the bad aspects of pride, and these experiences would factor into his growing mental/emotional instability until he finally snapped in the Fourth Age. Fortunately, he would be saved by his surviving friends and loved ones, and he would make a full psychological recovery thanks to their support.
- His naming structure echoes how his and Bossa Nova's ages were switched around upon Ascending. "Blue" is one letter shorter than "Bossa", referring to how he's biologically younger than Boss Nova, if only marginally due to being identical twins. However, his middle name, "Suede", is one letter longer than "Nova", referring to how he became older than Bossa Nova by divine standards due to becoming a god before his older brother did. As a bonus, he is named after a song that Elvis Presley performed early in his career while Bossa Nova is named after a song Elvis performed later in his career. Hilariously, Bossa Nova didn't take it well when he learned that he is now "younger" than his twin brother, but he gradually accepted it.
- His Alicorn name, Caerulus Melodia Equestria, translates to "Blue Melody" in Latin, which indicates he's now divine royalty while still retaining elements of his birth name, Blue Suede Heartstrings. The 'Equestria' part is from an ancient Alicorn tradition that requires Alicorns to take the name of the place they're ruling over - in Blue Suede/Caerulus' case, he's part of the Equestrian Pantheon that rules over Equestria.
- Meaningful Rename: Invoked. His Alicorn name, which he got after being made a Prince and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, is Caerulus Melodia Equestria. It translates to "Blue Melody" in Latin, retaining elements of his birth name while still indicating he is now divine royalty. Blue Suede chose to change his name because he acknowledged that by doing things like traveling all over the world and repressing his negative traits like pride and rage, he was really "runnin' away from [himself]". Settling down in the Equestrian Pantheon and becoming a Prince of Equestria is a sign of his acceptance that it's okay to feel prideful and live with his flaws as long as he moderates himself, and his genuine desire to fulfill his promise to be a better stallion.
- Mellow Fellow: His entry notes that he has a laidback and mellow temperament, making him difficult to rile up. When he does get angry, it's usually in the form of Tranquil Fury. It's later deconstructed when it's revealed he had been deeply surpressing his traumas and flaws for three Ages, explaining why he's so mellow. This leads to a psychological meltdown once his issues reach a boiling point, causing him to snap and nearly turn into a Fallen Alicorn. Luckily, he is saved by his loved ones and everyone he helped, and it's during the following recovery that he comes to term with his own emotions (including his anger) and learns how to regulate them in healthier ways.
- Mentor Archetype: For three Ages, he took on hundreds, if not thousands of students, with many of them Ascending to godhood thanks to his teachings.
- He served as a mentor figure for Clover Bloom, then a Second-Age heroine and a 'Tales/Virtuous Seven' member known as "the Humble Seer". What attracted Blue Suede to Clover was her similar Humble Hero character and Humility-based Seer abilities gained from taking up the 'Blades of Humility'. He also served as a source of emotional support when Clover was overcome with guilt over causing Patch's death via misreading her visions and killing Queen Dark Crystal. This is what largely led to Clover naming him the godfather of her son, Shamrock Bloom.
- Both he and a then-recently Ascendant Princess Brightglow tutored his then-mortal godson, Shamrock Bloom, in how to Ascend to godhood, which eventually led to him becoming an Alicorn. By Shamrock's admission, he didn't think he would be able to do such a thing, and fainted when he realized he actually succeeded.
- He would take in a young and then-mortal Healing Song as his student after being impressed with the latter's humility and music talent. By Healing Song's own admission, he became incredibly nervous and panicky upon realizing who Blue Suede is, as he worried over not properly behaving in front of the legendary 'King of Music', though he relaxed once he looked past Blue's divinity and got to know him better. It was thanks to Blue Suede that he was able to awaken his long-dormant Earth pony magic, and was inspired to become a mentor for many musicians himself. As a reward for his good deeds, Healing Song unexpectedly Ascended to godhood as the Alicorn god of Music, Potential, Teaching, and Psionics on his deathbed while dying from cancer, though Blue Suede wasn't responsible for his Ascension - a disguised Luminiferous was.
- He and Luminiferous would serve as co-mentors for Princess Winter Opera. Although Luminiferous found her first, he brought Blue Suede over because he's more knowledgeable in music and too compassionate to let his own biases affect his relationships with others. Blue Suede was responsible for tutoring her in music and teaching her the importance of humility, which combined with his willingness to protect her from a hateful public allowed Winter Opera to pursue her dream of becoming a musician. Eventually, Winter Opera would become the Alicorn goddess of Dark Magic, Potential, and Defiance after years of good deeds, defying public expectations of her and fulfilling the potential for divinity that her father, War Rock, squandered with his narcissism.
- He would also tutor his older twin brother, Bossa Nova Heartstrings, in using his Music domain. This led to his Bossa Nova becoming more powerful than before despite not being a 'prodigy deity' like his younger twin.
- He became the mentor of 'Third Age' sisters Melody, Muse, Jazzy, and Rocky after they caught his attention through their musical talents, leading to the quartet becoming extremely proficient in music. It is believed In-Universe that he helped Melody, Muse, and Jazzy Ascend to demi-godhood by providing a spark of his own Primordial Quintessence during the Third Age's end when they tried defending their country, Mousikós, from its enemies, the Oceanaiads. After the Oceanaiads were finally defeated and the existence of Mousikós was finally revealed to the global public, both Blue and other benevolent deities took interest in training Muse and Jazzy (who became Princesses Mese and Nete respectively) so they could finally Ascend to true godhood like Melody (now Queen Aoide Mousikós).
- He would become a mentor of the then-mortal Princess Grizelda II, whom he met along with her mother and former Queen Grizelda I during one of his travels. Despite having the potential to Ascend to godhood herself, Grizelda I believed she became 'tainted' by the xenophobic, warmongering, and imperialistic ways of Griffonkind at its worst. She offered her daughter to Blue Suede, seeing him as the ideal teacher to teach Grizelda II the necessary virtues that would allow for a divine Ascension to happen. Grizelda II eventually succeeded her mother's expectations, but was rejected by her people like her mother was for being pacifistic and tolerant, giving her a lot of emotional baggage that Blue Suede would help her deal with.
- He became a mentor for the Dazzling Divas, including the previously villainous Shadow Song, which resulted in them becoming far stronger, more skilled, and more experienced by the time they confronted Ivory Towers for the final battle. In particular, he would even become a father figure for Sonic Song and Miracle Hymn, the latter being closest to him because of their shared trauma of losing their parents.
- He taught Three Leaf, a musical healer and former Sunnytowner who moved to Ponyville after breaking free of Pakak's curse, which led to her singing skills improving significantly after centuries of repression and disuse.
- Mind-Control Music: As the Alicorn god of Music, he can use his singing voice to hypnotize his listeners... or just make them sleep. This would work against him when a group of Equestrian Clovenists portrayed him as a tyrannical god who used his musical powers to brainwash and enslave his followers so he could take over the world. Understandably, this made him extremely angry by the time he and Bossa Nova confronted the Equestrian Clovenists.
- Mistaken Identity: Because he shares similar color schemes with Flash Sentry, Blue Suede is often mistaken for the pegasus stallion or, barring that, Flash's older brother, relative, and/or ancestor. And because he and Bossa Nova are identical twin brothers, many people mistake Blue Suede for Bossa Nova, leading to rumors that he's secretly a Death god. Bossa Nova finds this hilarious.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: As an Alicorn god, he has the traits of all Pony tribes currently existing on Equus, such as Musical Ponies and Sea Ponies, and can manifest any of said traits on his body, or all at once. After Star Flower arrived on Equus, he gained Flutter Pony wings. This is what he and several other Second-Age Alicorns uses to assure Star Flower that she technically isn't the last Flutter Pony in existence. After becoming Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, he would appear with the Musical Pony's chest gem, though he alternated between butterfly wings and Alicorn wings depending on his mood.
- Modest Royalty:
- Alicorns in general are associated with royalty by default because of their history of ruling mortal Ponykind as divine sovereigns. This would make him this trope, as despite being an ancient Alicorn god, he prefers to appear as a mortal unicorn Greaser, with the trademark pompadour, leather jacket, and sunglasses, because he doesn't want to be treated differently from anyone else. He also refuses royal titles that are normally given to Alicorns, such as "Prince", stating he has enough trouble being called "The King of Music" already.Blue Suede Heartstrings: I've already been dealing with people calling me 'The King of Music' or whatever. I don't wanna add another fancy title on top of that.
- It's later averted when, following his recovery from a psychological breakdown, he fully understands and accepts that it's okay to feel pride in healthy ways. This influences his decision to join the Equestrian Pantheon, and during a divine coronation, he is crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria. As a Prince, he now wears divine cobalt-blue barding with silver designs as is required by Alicorns. That being said, he has appeared as his mortal form on numerous occasions, especially when he wants to relax.
- Alicorns in general are associated with royalty by default because of their history of ruling mortal Ponykind as divine sovereigns. This would make him this trope, as despite being an ancient Alicorn god, he prefers to appear as a mortal unicorn Greaser, with the trademark pompadour, leather jacket, and sunglasses, because he doesn't want to be treated differently from anyone else. He also refuses royal titles that are normally given to Alicorns, such as "Prince", stating he has enough trouble being called "The King of Music" already.
- Momma's Boy: Like Elvis Presley, he has a very close bond with his parents, especially his mother, which earned him some bullying. At one point, he promised that he will take care of them once he reached global stardom, and fulfilled his promise years later. His mother's contraction and death from a terminal illness devastated him, and became a contributing factor to his slow emotional decline in his mortal years, including turning his Big Eater habits to stress-eating. Even worse, his mother died while he was away fighting in the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War', robbing him of the chance to be there for her in her last moments.
- Mooning: In one incident, he grew annoyed with a traditionalist deity who tried making him drop his southern Ponyland accent so he could speak in a proper and refined way befitting of a divine sovereign. When said deity wouldn't stop bothering him, Caerulus proceeded to retaliate by mooning them, something Azamuku taught him after befriending the divine Alicorn-Kitsune hybrid in Neighpon. This caused Bossa Nova/Rubeus Stella and other friends who were nearby when it happened to collapse into laughter.
- Morality Pet: He serves as one for Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, who embodies the bad aspects of pride. Even before they married, Blue Suede balances out Stoltur's pride and worst traits with his humility, and is more merciful with sinners than he is. On the flipside, Stoltur serves as one for him by encouraging his self-esteem, as being without pride at all can be detrimental to one's emotional/mental health, which Blue Suede learned the hard way.
- Must Make Amends: While his record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, clearly had it coming, he really regretted momentarily losing control of his emotions and beating up his manager in a fit of rage, and was later found by his first wife, Venerable Grace, praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness over what he had done. When the police arrived to question him about it, he insisted that he be taken to prison for what he did, though he was shortly freed thanks to the intervention of a disguised Luminiferous. It's implied that his decision to quit his job as a career musician and take up globe-trotting is not only out of a desire to perform for his fans on his own terms, but to atone for his brief lapse into violence.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After going through a particularly brutal Trauma Conga Line, he would get into a heated argument with his record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, which ended with him snapping and delivering a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to his manager for exploiting and controlling him for years throughout his entire career. However, once he calmed down, he was so horrified by what he had done that he quickly fled the scene. By the time his first wife Venerable Grace found him at home, he was crying and fervently praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness. Blue Goldstone's entry reveals that he even insisted on being taken to prison when the police arrived to question him.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (praying) ...Dear King in Heaven, forgive me, for I have sinned... Please, give me a sign... grant me salvation... let me make up for what I had done...
- Mysterious Past: Due to being born very early in the Second Age, his origins have been subjected to some ambiguity In-Universe - he's speculated to be either a distant descendant of Ponies sired by "Visitors" (especially by the Celestial Ponies), a former royal who discarded his status, or an Ascended demi-divine son of Amareros, the Love Primeval. One theorized backstory in particular depicted him as an apathetic and selfish god who was transformed/reincarnated into a amnesiac mortal and forced to live on Equus as punishment for constantly eating populated worlds. He gradually grew to care for his fellow mortals after coming into frequent contact with a single Pony mother and her young son, and chose to stay on Equus despite having his memories restored. Princess Stitching Time notes that this backstory was published as a What If? issue by Mare-vel Comics. It's subverted in that his true origin consists of him being born a mortal unicorn, becoming a famous musician, and then later becoming a travelling performer who eventually Ascended to godhood through his good deeds.
- Never Be Hurt Again: Sola Mors' entry reveals that during a large portion of his music career, he was forced to make movies for profit instead of making music like he wanted. This left Blue with an underlying fear of being exploited, so he avoids acting to prevent it from happening again. Sola Mors made him face his fears by having him act in a musical she created, where he expressed in song form his traumatic experiences with the hubris and corruption of the music/movie industries in his day. His emotional performance was received with thunderous applause, and Blue realized that acting for entertainment didn't feel so bad after all. Later, he would befriend Changeling Queen Ithomiini through Sola Mors, which helped him get over his issues, as he created critically-acclaimed soundtracks for Ithomiini's movies and even acted in some of them, something he grew to enjoy.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: Blue Suede was away in the military fighting during the Second Maretian-Tellusian War when his mother Sunny Love died from a terminal illness. Then Blue Suede's father Copper Wheel Heartstrings suddenly died sometime later from an automobile accident, which was believed by many - including Blue Suede himself - to be a murder planned by "Colonel" Hollow Note to gain complete control over Copper Wheel's son. This (among other things) is what initially caused his slow emotional decline, and nearly would have led to his complete withdrawal from performing music had Venerable Grace not thrown the fateful party in her attempt to cheer up her then-husband.
- Nice Guy: Blue's entry notes that he's very polite, kind-hearted, and friendly to almost everyone he meets, and he genuinely loves all of his fans - in one incident, he signed a teenage filly's foreleg when she forgot to bring a paper for him, and after learning that an orphaned pegasus filly and a rehabilitated Maretian weapons experiment called "Stitch" looked up to him, he donated large sums of his own money to support them financially. He's also an All-Loving Hero in that he respects and befriends Ponies from all three tribes, and extended his hoof to non-Pony races when they emerged after the Second Age ended, despite imposed tribal/racial barriers. In addition, Blue is quite humble, never seeking validation or glory for his accomplishments, believing that much of his fame should go to more deserving individuals, and sees himself as being no different than the mortals he sings for. It's a major reason why he often disguises himself as a mortal. All of these factors directly contribute to his reputation as a beloved celebrity, and it's because of this that knowledge of him survived past the Second Age... however, it is not advisable to anger him, as he is an ancient and powerful Alicorn god underneath his unassuming appearances.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: He's based on Elvis Presley, who's often called "The King of Rock and Roll", and is one of the most recognized musicians and cultural icons in history. He even has many of Elvis' traits and mannerisms, such as his humility, his Big Eater tendencies, his preference for pompadours, and his religious beliefs... except here, he's definitely alive and healthy, not to mention he's an Alicorn god.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Generally averted, as a lot of people recognize him and celebrate his compassion, friendliness, and humility, but the fact that he is friendly and respectful to all Pony tribes and even non-Equine races continuously anger tribal/racial supremacist factions, such as tribalists and Autorists. This applied especially in the early Second Age; because tribalism was very common and even encouraged in his day, Blue's tribalist critics and enemies tried framing him as someone who "stole" Zebra music and posed a "danger" to Ponyland's youth. Even in the Fourth Age, he still gets a lot of flak for associating with different races even from those who aren't supremacists but still look down on other races for various reasons; in one incident, he nearly got punished by the haughty, xenophobic, and puristic Elternteil Deer Pantheon, who thought he was "stealing" away their mortal Alvslog Deer subjects because he's an Alicorn in disguise, when actually he convinced them to abandon their prideful, racist, reactionary, and self-righteous ways while still keeping their love for nature. Showing genuine kindness to the grieving High Queen Arvan offended the Elternteil Deer deities so much that they would have subjected Blue to a horrible fate for it. Thankfully, Belyolen intervened and got his family to back off when he brought up the possibility of bearing Golden Scepter's wrath should they hurt someone who's friends with a member of the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon. It's because of these experiences that Blue hates tribalism/racism in general, and sees it as stupid and childish.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Deconstructed. After getting into a heated argument with "Colonel" Hollow Note, Blue Suede snapped when Hollow Note blurted out that he only saw his client as a pawn to exploit and profit off of, and proceeded to furiously beat up his manager in revenge for his abuse. Once he calmed down, though, Blue Suede was so horrified by what he had done that he quickly fled the scene. He was later found at home by his first wife Venerable Grace, tearfully praying to the "King of Heaven" for forgiveness. When the police came to him for questioning, he insisted on being taken to prison, yet didn't stay there for long because of Luminiferous' intervention. Even years after his manager's death, the trauma of losing control of himself during a moment of vulnerability still lingers, and Blue still feels guilty for it to a degree. Mentálne helped him with this by bringing in her uncle Yarost, the Deer-Draconequus god of Fury and Hatred, so Blue Suede can come to terms with his actions.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (to Changeling Queen Ithomiini) By this planet, I WANTED t' hate 'im, ma'am. Even after all this time, I WANTED t' hate Hollow Note and NEVER forgive him, EVER. But I... I couldn't let myself get loose again. Not after I threw 'im all over the place like a sack o' potatoes when I snapped.
- Not in Front of the Kid: During a tribalist attack on the School of Friendship, he would admonish the Children of Platinum faction for spouting their (in his words) "backwards hick philosophy" in front of the young students, even covering one of the students' ears while doing so.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Now fellas, that's QUITE ENOUGH from you. I don't even wanna HEAR another nasty name or ugly word come out of your mouths EVER AGAIN.
- No Sympathy for Grudgeholders: Subverted. Changeling Queen Ithomiini finds his reasons for his reluctance to forgive "Colonel" Hollow Note very sympathetic, because many of her employees/actors/filming crew had gone through the same thing and often find it difficult to let go. She even assures Blue that his feelings are valid, because it's hard to forgive someone who exploited and abused them for a long time. However, Ithomiini reminds Blue that he still has to learn when to let go eventually, because not doing so would only give his manager an opportunity to continue controlling him from beyond the grave, and also not all record managers are like Hollow Note, "just like all directors are not like Colton Marentino".
- Odd Couple: What he and Stoltur became after marrying. Caerulus is a god of Humility who is kind, merciful, and humble, while Stoltur's a God of Evil and Pride who is vain, cruel, and depraved. Despite their opposing natures, it's established that humility cannot exist without pride and vice-versa, and because of this, they're Happily Married, with Stoltur supporting Caerulus and helping him build his self-confidence.
- Odd Friendship:
- His relationship with Prince Stoltur Skjöldur was initially this. Blue Suede was originally disgusted with Stoltur's encouragement of excessive pride in mortals, but grew to accept it after Stoltur explained he did it to weed out the amoral and wicked, and they would become friends despite their opposing natures. However, their friendship would become strained as Blue Suede's psychological health deteriorated and started putting himself down a lot, but when Stoltur tried warning his friends and family about it, it only led to Blue Suede breaking down, nearly turning into a Fallen Alicorn, and falling into an Angst Coma. Thankfully, he was able to wake up thanks to Stoltur and others helping him fight 'The Colonel', which gradually led to Blue Suede and Stoltur falling in love as the former recovered and fully accepted the beneficial aspects of pride.
- His relationship with Vicearch Iniquitous is also this. Despite Iniquitous being a powerful divine sovereign with a feared reputation, Blue Suede managed to earn her respect and friendship through his humble, virtuous character while he visited the Empire of Malrègnar. Their friendship deepened when, unlike the 'Prideful Sovereign' who once ruled the Malrègnarian Realms, Blue Suede overcame his own worst flaws and inner corruption, and became a divine Prince who is more than worthy of bearing his title - which gets Iniquitous to openly state that she's proud of him.
- Older Hero vs. Younger Villain:
- By divine standards, he's older than Hrůza, the Draconequus goddess of Mass Hysteria and Fear who is a "Tier III"-ranked deity. The "Temptation Unbound" conflict would see him clash with Hrůza for using music as a tool of fear and evil.
- His musical rival-turned-archenemy, War Rock, was younger than him, being part of the new generation of musicians that rose up to compete with Blue Suede's success and popularity after the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War' in the 50s. Then it gets played with as once Blue Suede Ascends to godhood, he remains forever young while War Rock continued to grow old.
- One Head Taller: Justified with him and Stoltur, as deities age differently than mortals in the Codexverse. Because Caerulus is a "Tier IV"-ranked god, he's much taller than his husband Stoltur, a younger "Tier II"-ranked deity, which leads to Caerulus being often mistaken to be the dominant partner. However, it's actually Stoltur who is dominant. Despite the sheer size difference, both Stoltur and Caerulus don't see it as a problem since the latter can just shrink himself down so they can match, especially during sex.
- One-Winged Angel: An inverted and justified example. Because of his humility, he often appears as a mortal from various sapient races, not wanting to be treated differently for being divine. He only reveals his true form as an Alicorn god in necessary situations, such as confronting foes that he can't fight while in a mortal form.
- OOC Is Serious Business: He's usually a Nice Guy and All-Loving Hero who preferred to be diplomatic and merciful, and when he got angry, it was via Tranquil Fury. However, he shows his anger and his willingness to use physical violence when he's really upset, usually after one of his psychological buttons is pushed. This was before he came to terms with his worst emotions and flaws and started being more open with his anger.
- In the Second Age, before his Ascension, he is furious when he learns that a few tribalists brutally lynched a teenage Zebra colt for supposedly whistling at a unicorn mare, and got away with it. When reporters asked for his opinion on it, he delivered a scathing public "The Reason You Suck" Speech towards the killers, the judges who let them go, and everyone who turned a blind eye towards the horrific crime.
- After a group of Griffon Autorists both refused his requests to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone peacefully and spouted their beliefs in their own racial superiority, Blue starts losing his patience and plainly tells them to "[Get] out. NOW." However. when the Griffon Autorists decide to make him their first victim, Blue snaps and screams for them to leave, his sonic scream heralding his true Alicorn form in the process.
- The angriest he had ever been as a mortal was when he snapped during a heated argument with his record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, who revealed that he saw his client as nothing more than a source of income and a 'wall' to protect himself from anyone who might gain interest in his private life or the crimes he may or may not have committed, like the police. Hearing this on top of the tremendous amounts of grief and stress he was undergoing caused him to snap, and he beat up his manager for exploiting and controlling him for years. When news of it and Hollow Note's history reached the general public, many were shocked that the normally kind Blue Suede would do such a thing.Unnamed Second-Age Pony: (regarding "Colonel" Hollow Note) What in the buck did he do to piss off the King that badly?
- He blows up on Svengallop for controlling Countess Coloratura and treating her like a Meal Ticket to pamper himself with, and proceeded to give him a "very thorough dressing-down" before making good on his threat to have Svengallop blacklisted from the entire music industry. Even Applejack was shocked by the incident.Applejack/Veritas ...Ah don't think Ah've seen Blue this angry before.
- Overworked Sleep: Hollow Note making him perform in concerts frequently with little to no rest in-between would eventually take its toll when, while recording "(You're the) Devil In Disguise" in The Beatles' own studio, he collapsed from sheer physical/mental exhaustion and had a seizure right after, scaring the Beatles badly. He was hospitalized, and much of his time in the hospital was spent sleeping.
- Outliving One's Offspring: He had many mortal demi-divine children over the course of Known History after he Ascended, but being an immortal Alicorn meant that he was forced to watch as his children grew old and died. Even worse, few of them managed to Ascend, if they did at all. This allowed him to connect with Arvan during his "trial", as the Elternteil Deer Pantheon's High Queen had lost children of her own and was profoundly affected by it.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (to High Queen Arvan) Ever since I Ascended, I've seen many people close to me grow old and die, and I've either had to bury 'em myself or watch 'em be buried. It's been said in my time that no parent should ever bury their own kids... yet as a lover and a father, I've buried my partners and kids more than I've seen 'em live long enough to Ascend. It hurts me whenever I remember them, and to be honest, it still kinda does. I even WISH sometimes that it wouldn't hurt so bad every time my kids leave me... but sooner or later, I have to let 'em go even if it does hurt, because that's a part of raising kids: Letting 'em grow up.
- Papa Wolf:
- When a Scion of Hurricane tried attacking Miracle Hymn for being an Earth pony (and ends up breaking one of his hooves due to the Magical Filly's Super Toughness), Floral Forte points out how "right daft" he is, with one of her reasons being a "stallion who might as well be her pa happens to be a god... And right behind ye." The Scion shortly discovers that the stallion in question really was standing behind him, as Blue Suede Heartstrings would immediately disarm the Scion after the latter pulled out a weapon in retaliation to Miracle Hymn sending him into a wall with her holy magic. Blue does help the present Dazzling Divas protect the Scion and his tribalist colleagues from an vengeful mob of Corporaturm citizens, but only long enough for the authorities to arrive and arrest/hospitalize them.
- After it was discovered that his godson Shamrock's corrupt ballet manager was exploiting and abusing him, Blue teamed up with Shamrock's mother, Clover, in confronting said manager and spending over an hour giving him a thorough chewing-out.
- When he learns through a conversation with Shamrock that some of his friends still insisted on "helping" him find a girlfriend and teaching him how to be more flirtatious despite Shamrock telling them about his asexuality, Blue decides to "have a nice, long talk" with Shamrock's friends for being so insensitive to his godson.Prince Shamrock: Please, don't yell at them, Uncle Blue. They're only, uh... they're only trying to help.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: If they're 'helping' you despite you telling them you just wanna be friends with people, that's not helping. What I see is a total lack of respect and understanding. You deserve the world, Rocky. And I don't think I can call myself your godfather if I let people walk over you for not being what they like.
- He proceeded to give his absolutely worst curses to members of both the Alicorn Ascendancy and the Abominable Alignment in retaliation for them trying to kidnap his 'biological' son, Prince Perfect Tone, and Perfect Tone's age-mates Princess Flurry Heart and Prince Léon Blueblood so they can study the children and discover the secrets of divine Ascension.Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Let this teach ya why we don't tolerate the kind a' thinkin' you an' yer fellows got going on inside those heads of yers.
- Parental Abandonment: Both of his parents are dead - Blue Suede's mother died from a terminal illness while he was away fighting in the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War', and Blue Suede's father suddenly died sometime later from an automobile accident that was believed to be a staged murder planned by Blue Suede's abusive record manager to gain complete control over his son. This left him grieving for quite some time and contributed to his eventual infamous Rage Breaking Point, but fortunately, he was allowed by both his brother Bossa Nova and Gavisus Manes to visit his parents in the Heaven-Realms, which helped him cope with the losses.
- Parental Substitute:
- He would serve as a fatherly figure of sorts for Magical Filly (and later Cleric) Sonic Song, helping her grow through many of her issues.
- He would also become a foster father for Miracle Hymn, due to her spending time with him a lot that they developed a father-daughter bond. A major factor is their shared sense of grief over their parents' deaths - as he had once suffered from depression in the early Second Age after his own parents died, he holds a great deal of sympathy towards Miracle Hymn for losing her parents to Ivory Towers' demonic forces.
- He would also at times act as a father figure for his friend, Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love and one of Amareros' daughters. This partially led to him joking with Amina about who's the older of the two, as they are both within the same "age group" for divines.
- Performance Anxiety: He ironically suffered from this when he was a foal, just like Elvis did in real life when he was a child. He eventually overcame this as he grew older, though his entry mentions that he can still be a bit reserved and shy at times in private.
- Personality Powers:
- He is talented in music and is both very knowledgeable and passionate about it, which led to him befriending several other mortal and divine musicians. He would embody Music upon Ascending, where he gained the ability to wield Magic Music and sound magic for a variety of effects, such as healing and empowerment.
- Despite his massive popularity and reputation as a celebrity, he's very humble, and despite Ascending to godhood, he sees himself as being no different from the mortals he sings for. He would embody Humility after Ascending, where he gets Psychic Powers (telepathy, empathy, and precognition) to help detect and discourage unchecked pride in people.
- Much like Elvis, he is a stunning performer on stage as he genuinely wants to entertain his audiences, though part of his fame comes from his dabbling in movies. He would embody Performance upon Ascending, where he would gain shapeshifting abilities along with peak physical speed and agility by divine standards.
- It's noted in his entry that he is very polite and friendly to almost everyone he meets, which earned him quite a few friends, including Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, who he would become close to. He would embody Love - specifically, Philia Love - upon Ascending, and his domain allows him to help those whose friendships have become damaged, or free those who are trapped in abusive friendships.
- Physical God: He is one due to being an Alicorn. It's stated that he has an extremely impressive mastery over music in general, given his origins as a famous musician, and after becoming the god of Music, he's very skilled and creative with it. His domain of Humility gives him telepathy, empathy, and precognition, and his domain of Performance gives him shapeshifting abilities and enhanced combat skills thanks to his domain of Performance. Lastly, he is a Love deity who embodies Philia Love, allowing him to see the bonds of friendship that tie mortals and/or divines together. Due to his humble character, though, he often takes the form of a mortal, though it's implied that his mortal forms are no slouches, either. His entry notes that he is a "prodigy" deity, which gives him an accelerated rate of physical and magical growth compared to normal deities, and is already showing signs of growing a second pair of wings. And because he was born in the early Second Age, he's ancient enough for people to start making guesses as to what his origins story is.
- Plagued by Nightmares: Following his breakdown, about three Ages worth of trauma was brought to the forefront, causing him to have nightmares of both the abuse he went through and how things could've gone wrong if they happened differently.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Zigzagged.
- While they're identical twins, he and Bossa Nova are complete opposites in looks and personality. Blue Suede is... blue-haired, and is calmer, level-headed, and more empathetic than the red-headed Bossa Nova, who is more emotional, mischievous, impulsive, and hotheaded. However, it's Bossa Nova who falls into Tranquil Fury when he's really pissed off, while Blue Suede gets openly angry and upset when confronted by something he truly hates. It's additionally noted that they actually have more in common than people assume: Both Blue Suede and Bossa Nova love playing music and both act wild and hammy on-stage, and they're both avid comic book readers. Bossa Nova also shares his younger brother's hatred of tribalism/racism, as it robs people of their ability to feel joy just for existing.
- Come the Fourth Age, this falls into its logical extreme as Blue Suede starts repressing his 'bad' emotions and flaws so he wouldn't burden everyone with his problems, with Bossa Nova being largely unaware of his brother's problems despite being empathically linked to him (though he did have his suspicions). This culminates in Blue Suede's breakdown and near-transformation into a Fallen Alicorn, requiring his loved ones to save him once he's snapped out of it and falls into an Angst Coma afterwards. During his recovery, Blue Suede accepts that it's okay to feel pride and becomes open with his feelings like Bossa Nova is as a result, including his 'bad' emotions.
- Posthumous Sibling: Double-subverted. He was originally the younger of identical twins, but his older brother, Bossa Nova, came out stillborn, just like what happened to Elvis Presley's older twin brother, Jesse Garon Presley. While Bossa Nova is still 'alive' in a sense, the fact that he became an 'Angel of Death' under Gavisus Manes (and later, a Death god of the Trimortidae) means he's still technically dead, as his very nature is tied to the afterlife realms his adoptive father and relatives watch over. Meeting Bossa Nova as an adult in the Second Age overwhelmed Blue Suede so much that he fainted, though they would become close after a rocky start.
- Power Gives You Wings:
- As noted in Sonic Song's entry, his empowerment of the Dazzling Divas - Sonic Song included - turned them into his Clerics. One of Sonic Song's abilities granted by her Cleric form is the formation of energy wings made of dark blue energy soundwaves.
- This also applied to himself in the Second Age; after traveling all over Equus/Tellus and doing a lot of good deeds while learning under Luminiferous, he would eventually Ascend and become an Alicorn, which naturally gave him wings since he was previously a mortal unicorn.
- It's believed In-Universe that during the Third-Age cataclysmic war with the Oceanaiads that destroyed Mousikós, he was responsible for Ascending sisters Melody, Muse, and Jazzy to demi-godhood by using his own Primordial Quintessence. Either that or the sisters accidentally absorbed the arcane energies being unleashed as they protected their island home.
- The Power of Friendship: His compassion and friendliness were such that he gained friends in both 'good' and 'evil' divines and mortals, which would play in his favor on a few occasions.
- Blue Suede's friendship with one of Pokhot's sons, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, is what saved him when he decided to travel to the Alvslog Deer Realms and help its residents abandon their pride and bigotry. The Elternteil Deer Pantheon imprisoned and abused him for being an 'interloper', and tried convicting him of the crime of 'stealing' their mortal subjects away. Thanks to Bossa Nova's warnings, Belyolen rescued Blue Suede and pointed out to his family that because Blue Suede is connected to the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon through his friendship with Stoltur, the Elternteil Deer Pantheon are now at risk of incurring the wrath of Golden Scepter, who previously humiliated High King Irminsul for his racism. The Elternteil Deer deities backed off and let Blue Suede go free.
- In the Fourth Age, after Blue Suede has a meltdown from repressing his traumas and issues for too long, his friendships are what saved him from completely turning into a Fallen Alicorn. Then, when Blue Suede and Bossa Nova fell into a shared Angst Coma after that, a group of Blue Suede's friends, students, and family enters his mind and helps him fight 'The Colonel' by helping him accept his prideful feelings. Once Blue Suede wakes up, everyone he helped directly or indirectly pitches in to help him recover psychologically, which he eventually does thanks to them.
- The Power of Rock: Justified. As the Alicorn god of Music, he holds an extreme mastery over Music in general and can use it in a large variety of ways, whether for a supportive role or an offensive role. Most of his music-related abilities can be channeled through his primary weapon, a heart-shaped magitech guitar. After turning the Dazzling Divas into his Clerics during a particularly difficult battle, all of them gained the ability to use his songs to cast spells, including his rock songs, which Sonic Song and Shadow Song have both applied.
- Power Perversion Potential: His domain of Performance gives him Voluntary Shapeshifting abilities, allowing him to change his appearance. However, since he's married to Stoltur and he is much taller than his husband, he changes his size to match Stoltur's so they can have an easier time whenever they have sex. Him explaining this to Princess Melody (whose husband Prince Ace is comically smaller than her due to him Ascending sometime after she did) caused her to fall to the floor in stitches once she finally figured out the implications.Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Ah know it LOOKS like a problem, but really, Ahm a god of Performance an a former actor. So when the chips are down, size aint a problem wit me an Stolts.
- Pretty Butterflies: As an Alicorn, one Pony trait he can manifest at will is the butterfly wings of a Flutter Pony. Much like his former student, Princess Winter Opera, he alternates between butterfly wings and Alicorn wings depending on her mood.
- Prince Charming: After being crowned Prince, one of the highest official royal titles in Equestria, he becomes this. He's an incredibly handsome Alicorn god, a Nice Guy, and a Reasonable Authority Figure who tries to uphold his promise to be 'better' by looking after his mortal subjects. He's also Happily Married to long-time friend Prince Stoltur, and a loving father to his infant son, Prince Perfect Tone.
- Psychic Link: He shares this with his older brother, Bossa Nova, which is believed to have stemmed from being born identical twins. Originally, they could only feel each other's emotions, and if one of them is hurt, the other will feel his pain. When Kúzelník offered to help expand their bond, they initially turned him down. However, as he became mentally unstable, Blue Suede began repressing his 'bad' emotions, leaving Bossa Nova unaware of what is going on and ultimately leading to Blue Suede snapping from his pent-up traumas. Once Blue Suede was saved and recovered, Bossa Nova finally agreed to let Kúzelník upgrade their bond, and they subsequently gained the ability to telepathically communicate with each other so Blue Suede would never develop the mindsets that caused him to snap in the first place. Because their vulnerability against psychic attack is greater, Kúzelník is helping them learn how to develop mental shields as a way toss defend themselves.
- Psychic Powers: His domain of Humility gives him telepathic and empathic powers that allow him to detect dangerously swelled egos and encourage humility in people. He also has precognitive abilities that predict a person's future based on their moral actions, allowing him to redeem those with unchecked pride by warning them of the consequences of their actions. After he became a student of various Virtue and Psionic deities, his psychic powers were boosted to where he can moderate levels of humility in others and predict what will happen if people became too humble like he once did.
- Quit Your Whining: Justified. When he expresses regret over not being there to help the Malrègnarian deities overcome their arrogance and atone, Vicearch Iniquitous tells not to grieve over them, as they ruined the lands with their gross incompetence and refused every chance to redeem themselves until it was too late. However, it's subverted as Iniquitous respects him enough that she is gentle yet firm in her manner of delivery (by her standards), and genuinely wants him to learn that sometimes it is better to teach people the lesson of humility through example instead of "mere words". Blue Suede would later take this advice to heart while he was recovering from his psychological traumas, leading him to become more willing to punish people for genuine wrongdoing while still retaining his merciful and compassionate nature after being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria.
- Rage Breaking Point:
- After trying - and failing - to get a group of Griffon Autorists to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone and depart in peace, he gradually loses his patience the longer he listens to them spout their racist beliefs. It's after said Autorists decide to make him their first victim for his defiance that he snaps and heralds his true Alicorn form by unleashing a powerful sonic scream.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Now fellas, I can understand anger where it's warranted, but in this case, it's not. You hooligans have caused QUITE a bit of trouble here, terrorizing the innocent folks here for merely existing. So please, kindly stop this nonsense and leave this place before more people get hurt.
Griffon Autorists: Who are you to tell us what to do, Pony scum? We are the master race of Equus! And we bow to NO ONE!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Master race? I see no master on this planet, save for the King in Heaven. Now leave. Don't force me to take drastic action against you.
Griffon Autorists: There will be no 'King in Heaven' but us once we're done with all inferior races on this planet! It is our sacred duty to spread our honorable culture over the uncivilized curs! Now move aside! Unless you want to join those mewling, cowardly hairballs!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...I think you misunderstood me. Get out. NOW.
Griffon Autorists: Pfft, foolish cur! You're outnumbered! Ready your weapons, men! This Pony scum will serve as an example for those who defy us!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: I said GET OUT!!!
- After enduring "Colonel" Hollow Note's abuse for years and overworking himself to the point of hospitalization, he learned that Hollow Note barged into the hospital while he was recovering and callously demanded for the doctors to heal Blue Suede quickly so he could continue performing. Furious, Blue Suede confronted and fired Hollow Note for his behavior, but during the ensuing argument, Hollow Note blurted out that, "The music didnt matter! YOU didnt matter! What mattered was the money, and staying away from that DAMN BACKWATER COUNTRY I hailed from!" This pushed an already upset Blue into snapping and beating up his manager in revenge for his abuse. It's deconstructed in that after calming down, he was so horrified by what he had done that, even after Ascending to godhood, he would be haunted by the incident for three Ages, blaming himself for violently lashing out at someone (even if that someone was his abuser) and seeing himself as a criminal who needed to be punished.
- After trying - and failing - to get a group of Griffon Autorists to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone and depart in peace, he gradually loses his patience the longer he listens to them spout their racist beliefs. It's after said Autorists decide to make him their first victim for his defiance that he snaps and heralds his true Alicorn form by unleashing a powerful sonic scream.
- Real Men Love Jesus: Like his character inspiration, Blue Suede had a religious yet loving upbringing despite his family's poverty, influencing him to become the kindhearted and humble stallion he is today. Specifically, he's a member of the King's Witnesses, a religious sect that believed they're the 'true' followers of King Equus and practiced abstinence from things King Equus supposedly wouldn't approve of, such as birthdays/holidays and same-sex relationships. While Blue Suede did suffer a few crises of faith over the course of his long life, he would always recover with his faith restored later on, and he would gradually become relaxed and open-minded in his beliefs, especially after meeting King Equus in person. He [[Hidden Depths knows King Equus is a flawed god, but continues to worship him anyway because he's inspired by him to keep improving himself in the face of sin. Blue Suede is also offended by those who claim to be faithful yet enable others' worst flaws by encouraging them to justify/excuse their immorality, which got him clashing with the Poenan goddess Lamperielpida at one point.
- Really Gets Around: Downplayed. While his entry notes that he did sleep with mares and stallions over the course of Known History, he was completely loving and faithful to all of his partners, and the numbers of relationships he had were notably few compared to those held by other gods and goddesses. At least one of his relationships resulted in the birth of a Fourth-Age mortal demi-divine descendant, Lyra Heartstrings, who would become a musician just like him. Other descendants include Flash Sentry, Roneo, and Gladstone, though they're unconfirmed In-Universe. Bossa Nova's entry reveals the identity of one of his partners - Record Beat, a unicorn DJ and stallion who had a crush on Blue for a while, and later became Blue's first coltfriend/husband after Bossa Nova subtly directed him to his younger twin brother in a well-meaning attempt to help Blue recover from his parents' deaths. A canonized Codex drabble reveals that his sleeping around gave him in-depth experience and knowledge with various types of relationships, which he used to help his godson, Prince Shamrock, come to terms with his Asexuality.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He became this after exploring himself as a person for some time, and being crowned Prince by Princess Twilight/Amicitia. He sees his title as both a promise to be a better stallion and a responsibility to uphold that promise, and hates the idea of using it to act superior to others. He also knows that many people are shocked with his decision to become a Prince, especially since he always refused titles before, but is generally patient in explaining his reasons to them. While he's still kind, merciful, and forgiving, he now practices true humility by accepting his own flaws as long as he moderates them, and helps prevent people from going down the same path as he once did. However, he's also far more open with his anger, and far more willing to punish people for genuine wrongdoing, with those who participated in racism/tribalism being on the receiving end on some very nasty curses and hexes.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- Delivered in song form during one post-Ascension incident with tribalists. When a group of tribalists terrorized his fans during a concert, Blue confronted them and retaliated by singing "Hound Dog", accusing the tribalists of "cryin' all the time" and calling themselves "high-class". This enraged the tribalists into attacking him instead... only for Blue to turn the fight into an impromptu yet highly-acclaimed performance, leaving his assailants bruised and completely humiliated.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (to the tribalists) You can knock me down, step on my face... Heck, you can slander my name all over the place. You can do everything that y'wanna do to me, but fer Heavens' sake, stop this nonsense an' lay offa my friends, ya yellow-bellied squares!
- He also made one in the early Second Age, before he Ascended. When he learned that a few tribalists brutally lynched to death a teenage Zebra colt, Garden Spade (who is the expy/ersatz of Emmett Till), for supposedly whistling at a unicorn mare and got away with the crime, Blue was so furious that he delivered a scathing public speech when reporters asked for his opinion on the event. It was noted that this was one of few instances where Blue showed clear anger and upset instead of his usual Tranquil Fury, and became a major factor in his hatred towards tribalism/racism in general.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (angrily) What do I think of the lynching? I think it was a STUPID and CHILDISH and SENSELESS act. If those two hot-blooded fellas actually CHECKED what that poor colt was doin' instead of trustin' a horned mare's words an' goin' after him with barbed wire an' a loaded gun, an innocent life would've been spared. Now, I can't say anything that'll offend the King in Heaven, but anyone who does something so AWFUL like that and thinks it's okay doesn't DESERVE t' be called a 'good citizen of Ponyland'. Same for those who turn a blind eye an' let their fellas commit such acts because they don't like certain folks or have the heart t' speak up.
And as for those who killed that colt, an' the judges who let those same killers walk away free... You fellas oughta be ASHAMED of yourselves.
- When Lamperielpida accuses him of not preaching faith among the masses despite worshiping a god himself after being accused by him of enabling her peers and followers' bad traits, Blue gets angry enough to give her a damning speech that compares her actions and behavior to that of the tribalists he had to deal with. Lamperielpida could only come up with a feeble answer.Blue Suede Heartstrings: You know what I think about your faith, ma'am? I think it's no different than those TRIBALISTS I had to deal with back in my day. Goin' after certain folks they didn't like for some reason and doin' HORRIBLE things to them, all while pattin' themselves on the shoulder for a job well done, only to get all uppity when called out on their actions. And instead of realizin' the error of their ways and gettin' better, they lie to themselves and tell each other what they're doin' is right, enabling the ugliest sides of themselves until they become utter monsters. THAT is what I'm seein' in you and your followers, and frankly, I'm ASHAMED of the fact that you think you're doin' the same thing as me and other folks who know what REAL faith is. Ever wonder why folks yell at you and even beat up your followers? Well, look in the mirror and tell me your answer.
Lamperielpida: ...You'll see our side someday. You'll see.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: I probably won't, and frankly, ma'am, I hope that day NEVER comes. There's still a chance for you to think about everything you've been doin' and become better, because I know that more than anything, you wanna help others and put a smile on their faces. But until you take that chance... don't you EVER come to me and talk to me 'bout doin' somethin' you're not even doin' yourself.
- Then there's his very angry dressing-down of Svengallop, who emotionally abused his client Rara/Countess Coloratura by micromanaging every aspect of her life and mooching off her success. When Svengallop weakly tries defending his actions, Blue Suede utterly demolishes him.Svengallop: I-I was just looking out for my client's best interests! If it wasn't for me, she wouldn't have become-!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: NO, IT'S 'CAUSE OF YOU THAT COLORATURA WAS SUFFERIN' ON AN' OFF-STAGE, ORDERIN' HER AROUND LEFT AN' RIGHT WHILE YOU SAT BACK AN' ENJOYED THE FAME AN' DOLLARS HER SINGIN' GAVE YOU! INSTEAD O' BEIN' THERE FOR HER AN' SUPPORTIN' HER, YOU CONTROLLED HER AN' USED HER LIKE- LIKE SOME SORT OF GOLD MINE!
Svengallop: I- Please! Have mercy!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: OH, I'LL GIVE YOU MERCY, ALRIGHT! I'LL MAKE SURE EVERY SINGLE MARE AN' STALLION IN THE SINGIN' BUSINESS KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE! I'LL MAKE SURE THAT NO ONE WILL WANNA HIRE YOU OR EVEN TALK T' YOU, EVER AGAIN!
- After becoming a Prince and joining the Equestrian Pantheon, he would angrily chew out a misandric group of Pony mares over their mistreatment of Prince Terrae Equestria, comparing them to Tribalists and Autorists because of their prejudice against a deity who's born male in what they believe should be a divine matriarchy. Then Blue Suede/Caerulus turns the offending mares into stallions as a Karmic Transformation for their actions.Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: Yer just like 'em Tribalists an' Autorists runnin' all over this country, treatin' colts an' stallions like dirt fer bein' born a 'mistake'. If that's what y'all really think of yer neighbors, then ya don't deserve ta be called mares.
- Delivered in song form during one post-Ascension incident with tribalists. When a group of tribalists terrorized his fans during a concert, Blue confronted them and retaliated by singing "Hound Dog", accusing the tribalists of "cryin' all the time" and calling themselves "high-class". This enraged the tribalists into attacking him instead... only for Blue to turn the fight into an impromptu yet highly-acclaimed performance, leaving his assailants bruised and completely humiliated.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: On the receiving end. After Blue Goldstone saving a high school classmate from being harassed by a gang of Greasers, he would meet Blue, now an Alicorn god, in the Heaven-Realms after so many years. In the ensuing conversation, Blue apologized to Gold and came clean with his decisions and flaws, before revealing he never wanted to be worshiped or idolized, as he knew he is flawed, and only wanted people to personally connect with him. This caused Gold to realize that he was both being unrealistic in his expectations, as Blue still has a lot of good qualities worth emulating, and sharing the same bad attitudes as his neighbors. Blue forgave Gold when he apologized for it, and encouraged him to become better. It's noted that Gold came out of this experience with renewed faith and respect for his idol, and continued emulating Blue while being aware of each other's flaws and improving himself because of them. He and Blue remain very good friends to this day.
- Reclusive Artist: A narrowly averted In-Universe example. After going through a few personal tragedies, being abused by a corrupt record manager, and experiencing great disillusionment/disgust with the music/movie industries overall, Blue Suede would hit an all-time low when, during a heated argument, he beat up said record manager in a rage. He initially tried to put himself in jail out of guilt for his actions, but when Luminiferous intervened, Blue Suede became a recluse with the intent of living in anonymity for the rest of his life. He would've succeeded if his wife at the time, Venerable Grace Heartstrings, threw a party and invited all of Blue Suede's friends to cheer him up, leading to Blue Suede meeting Luminiferous again. This "changed the course of history" as the meeting set off a chain of events that led to him becoming an Alicorn.
- Red Baron: During the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War', he was known as "The Blue Death" for his fearsome skill in sniping, which, by his own admission, he learned out of sheer necessity because he had grown sick of participating in bloodshed up close. He hadn't touched a gun since the war's end, and he didn't reveal his exploits until he started taking psychiatric appointments with Mentálne.
- Related in the Adaptation: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Elvis Presley are completely unrelated to each other in real life, with the latter having had died a decade before the start of Stevie Ray's music career. Here, Moon Ray Vaughoof and Blue Suede Heartstrings are related by adoption, since Moon Ray became a Trimortidae after dying and Ascending to godhood, and thus became related to Blue's older twin brother, Bossa Nova. Blue Suede being Bossa Nova's twin means he is related to hundreds, if not thousands of siblings on Gavisus Manes' side, and cousins on Audens Manes and Malus Manes' sides.
- Reincarnation: In this Codex drabble, both he and Bossa Nova/Rubeus Stella managed to become reincarnations of Mana Equus, giving them her memories and increasing their magic tenfold. However, because Twilight/Amicitia reincarnated first, he and Bossa Nova/Rubeus Stella end up becoming 'reincarnation clones' since Twilight/Amicitia has Mana Equus' original soul. What happened to them is kept a closely-guarded secret by the Church of the Stars, whose members are likewise doing the same for Twilight/Amicitia after her apotheosis.
- Remember When You Blew Up a Sun?: During his fight with 'The Colonel', he would receive encouragement from those of his friends, students, and family who psychically entered his mind to save him from his Angst Coma. One way they encouraged him was reminding him of all the good things he did over three Ages.Prince Crystal Clear: Hey Pa! Remember that song you played to snap me outta War Rock's brainwashing? Y'know, the one that said 'don't be cruel' and all that?! I still remember it! If ya didn't sing to me that day, I would've been six feet under centuries ago!
- Required Secondary Powers: His entry notes that his mouth and ears are resistant even to the damaging effects of his own music, allowing him to keep his Super Hearing that is a part of his Music domain.
- Richard Nixon, the Used Car Salesman:
- In the Codexverse, while he still makes music, he became a globe-trotter after he was motivated by Luminiferous to quit the music industries in the Second Age so he could perform for his beloved fans on his own terms. This actually saved him from the decline and Undignified Death suffered by his character inspiration, Elvis Presley, as he would eventually become an Alicorn god as a result of his travels.
- Later on, after suffering a psychological meltdown and recovering from it, he decided to settle down in the Equestrian Pantheon, where he would rule the lands with his friends as a Prince. The biggest irony is that 'Prince' is the Equestrian equivalent of a King due to Equestria being a Principality, and Elvis Presley hated being called "King" due to his religious beliefs.
- Rightly Self-Righteous: Defied and averted. A combination of benevolent religious examples and a good upbringing by his loving parents taught him to be kind, humble, and friendly to everyone, and people not doing so upsets him. When Lamperielpida accuses him of not preaching about the "King of Heaven" he claims to worship, Blue points out that acting "high and mighty" about his faith would disappoint/offend his parents and his god because that's not what they wanted him to be. He then proceeds to turn things around with an angry "The Reason You Suck" Speech that exposes Lamperielpida's religious hypocrisy and moral blindness. Even after being crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria, he still refuses to fall into this behavior, as he hates the idea of using his status as a divine sovereign to act superior to others.
- The Rival: War Rock, his Second-Age musical contemporary, saw him as this. A large part of this is due to being complete opposites of each other, and War Rock's ego being unable to accept that someone else might actually be better at playing music than him, which led to him trying to ruin Blue's career and/or kill him numerous times. This worsened when War Rock got older and started experiencing a decline in his career due to advancing age; learning that Blue managed to Ascend to godhood and realizing that his rival would be around forever while he'll grow old and die drove War Rock to seek immortality and power at all costs to preserve his own legacy. Blue never really took their rivalry as seriously as War Rock did due to his humility, and was in fact disgusted by War Rock as the latter represented everything he hated about entitled musicians and the music industry in general.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: After beating up his abusive record manager in a fit of rage and calming down afterwards, he was so horrified by what he had done that he quickly fled the scene. He was later found at home by his first wife Venerable Grace, crying and praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.
- Seers: His domain of Humility gives him a form of precognition that makes him see a person's future depending on their actions - he sees good futures if a person is humble and virtuous, but bad futures if not. This allows Blue to warn people of the consequences of their pride and other depravities, and help them redeem themselves. It's noted that Blue's foresight is similar to Stoltur's foresight, in which the latter sees people as they are if they reach their future potential for both good and ill. After learning under various Virtue and Psionics deities, his precognition is enhanced to where he can both predict the consequences of pursuing either pride or humility to unfettered extremes, allowing him to regulate both.
- Semi-Divine: One interpretation of his backstory is that he's one of Amareros' demi-divine sons who eventually Ascended to true godhood. The truth is he started out as a mortal Unicorn who Ascended to demi-godhood during his travels, then Ascended to true godhood sometime after that.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: His friendship with Prince Stoltur Skjöldur had this dynamic - he's the 'Sensitive Guy' who is friendly, merciful, and kind, while Stoltur is the 'Manly Man' who is prideful, cruel, and vain. After Blue Suede is crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and they get married, they turn into a MasculineFeminine Gay Couple where Stoltur is the dominant partner and Blue Suede/Caerulus Melodia is the submissive partner. However, it's zigzagged as Stoltur has been helping Caerulus become more confident by taking turns on being dominant/submissive during sex and encouraging him to take lead in general.
- Shaming the Mob: He did this to a small crowd of his own fans when they tried persecuting a then-mortal Winter Opera, chewing them out for their hypocrisy in judging someone whose only 'crime' is being related to a villain. This caused some fans to leave in shame.Pony fan 1: What are you doing with that Devil's Spawn, Blue?!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Keepin' 'er away from you!
Pony fan 2: But-! Shes nothing but evil! That witch will become just like her father and corrupt innocent Ponies if we don't do something!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Well, yer all just a bunch a' yellow-bellied hound dogs cryin' over some filly who did ya no wrong! Ah don't like War Rock either, but that dont mean 'all have the right to judge his kids, too! Ya don't like what Ah'm doin'?! Then get outta here! Get out! Yer no friends of mine!
- Shrinking Violet: As a colt, he was very shy and suffered from stage fright. While he gradually improved and became the famous musician (and god of Music!) he is today, his first entry mentions that he can still be a bit shy and reserved at times in private.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: While visiting the damned soul of "Colonel" Hollow Note in Malus Manes' Hell-Realms, Blue Suede/Caerulus responds to Hollow Note's attempts to abuse him into submission by reminding him that it was he who depended on his client's success, not the other way around. Furthermore, once his client is out of his grasp, Hollow Note is nothing but a sad, pathetic wretch whose suffering is all his own doing. Hollow Note is left a frothing rage by the time Blue Suede/Caerulus leaves him behind for good."Colonel" Hollow Note: You rebellious, ungrateful, colt-seducing whelp! It was ME who helped you get to the top! It was ME who put you in front of those screaming fillies and mares! It was ME who made you the leader of Rock and Roll! You hear me?! Without me, you. Are. NOTHING!
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: ... Yer wrong.
"Colonel" Hollow Note: What?!
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: It's true Ah rose to stardom 'cause a' ya... But in the end, it wasn't yer big head that made me popular. It was mah music an' the kindness Ah gave to them folks out there. An' truth is, you needed me more than Ah did, which ya made crystal clear durin' that fateful quarrel. See, way Ah remember it, it wasn't about the music. It wasn't about me. Ya just wanted some dollars ta fill yer pockets an' a wall ta hide from the cops.
"Colonel" Hollow Note: How DARE you! If I wasn't dead, I'd wring your neck with my own hooves!
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: But yer dead, Colonel. You've been dead fer three Ages. An' I had a lotta time since ta step outta that pit ya dug fer me. Now that Ah'm outta yer hooves an' under someone better, Ah'm bein' more successful than Ah've ever been under ya. Ah'm a Prince now with a husband an' a bunch a' friends at my side, while yer rotting alone in those hell-pits fer all the nasty things ya did ta me. So without me, yer really nuttin' but a sad, pathetic piece a' horse-shit.
"Colonel" Hollow Note: Damn you, Blue Suede! CURSE YOU! Curse you and the womb you spawned from! I hope you die a bunch of horrible deaths without me to save you from it!
Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: ...Goodbye, Colonel.
- Small Role, Big Impact: He turns out to have left an impact on Blacktip, a young benevolent Dragon. If he hadn't snapped and nearly turned into a Fallen Alicorn from repressing his trauma and flaws for three Ages, he wouldn't have made Blacktip realize his resentment towards the Dragons is wrong and let go of it, leading to his Ascension to demi-godhood.
- Sole Survivor: His divine immortality meant that he would outlive everyone from his generation, including those close to him like Venerable Grace, Record Beat, and The Beatles, leaving him the only one who truly remembers how things in his time were like. Fortunately, he had support in his twin brother Bossa Nova, who helped him cope with the losses and understand Death as a normal change.
- Southern Gentleman: He was born in southern Ponyland during the early Second Age, with the Southern accent to match. Despite the prevalent tribalism in the country, as well as the hubris and corruption that afflicted the local music industries, he remains unfailingly polite, kind, and racially tolerant, even respectfully calling almost every adult female character "ma'am" - including Vicearch Iniquitous. He's also a faithful devotee of the "King in Heaven", despite knowing his god is likely flawed; when a skeptical Prince Written Word asks him about his faith, he gives the Terran Prince a reasonable and respectful answer.
- Stealth Pun: He is a blue-maned/tailed Alicorn Prince whose birth name was "Blue Suede Heartstrings", and he's a humble, compassionate, and friendly stallion. In other words, Blue Is Heroic.
- Stepford Smiler: A deconstructed "Depressed" and "Unstable" example. He tried repressing both his 'bad' emotions - such as pride and rage - and his abuse-related trauma and putting on a Mask of Sanity so he wouldn't worry everyone close to him by burdening them with his problems. This backfired enormously - as his emotions and issues stayed bottled up, his overall well-being began deteriorating, to the point where he started seeing himself as genuinely worthless and undeserving of praise. His then-friend, Prince Stoltur, eventually got fed up with watching him putting himself down, but when Stoltur tried confronting him, he denied his problems. Stoltur tried warning his friends and family, which led to a spectacular breakdown as he unleashed everything that he had been repressing for so long, leading to his near-transformation into a Fallen Alicorn and subsequent coma. While everyone was able to save him, the entire ordeal left them shaken and guilty over ignoring his plight until it was almost too late; Bossa Nova in particular blamed himself until Gavisus Manes encouraged him to make amends with his twin brother. Fortunately, he was able to receive psychiatric help on expressing his emotions better from Mentálne and Amour-De-Soi, which in part helped him recover.
- Stop Worshipping Me: Despite being an Alicorn god, he dislikes being worshiped, because he couldn't stand the thought of being above others. In his eyes, the one being who deserves to be worshiped is the "King in Heaven" he follows to this day, which is why he hates being called "the King of Music". It's also why he turned down Queen Dazzleglow's offer to join the Church of the Stars. Melody starts understanding this after she and her friends started being worshiped by some Ponies for resurrecting themselves from the dead and defeating Queen Dark Crystal as the fused goddess Fairytale in the Second Age. After experiencing a huge emotional breakdown and recovering from it, he's now fine with things like becoming a Prince, joining the Equestrian Pantheon, and having followers of his own. That being said, he's still uncomfortable with people blindly putting him on a pedestal, so instead he encourages his followers to approach him directly and treat him as a friend.
- Straight Gay: He's bisexual, having both dated and married numerous stallions and mares over the Ages since Ascending to godhood, with his first husband and wife being Record Beat and Venerable Grace, respectively. Then in the Fourth Age, he married long-time friend Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, and they would become the 'biological' fathers of their infant son, Prince Perfect Tone, who was born from a karmic backlash that stemmed from them proving that Humility and Pride can co-exist. Despite all this, he never shows any stereotypical behaviors related to his sexuality, and is a well-rounded character with his own distinct personality.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Justified with him and Bossa Nova. Because they're identical twin brothers, they look almost exactly the same save for a few differences, such as hair color, Cutie Mark appearances, and wing gradients. It's because of this that Blue is often believed to be secretly a Death god when it's actually Bossa Nova, his older brother, who is the Death god, something that Bossa Nova himself finds hilarious.
- Super Empowering:
- With his Magic Music, he can empower allies both physically and mentally. He can also grant people a portion of his power, turning them into his Clerics - this is what happened when he arrived in time to save the Dazzling Divas from corrupt Elephant corporate executive Ivory Towers, who was empowered by the Tyrannos god of Greed, Avarita, and lent the Magical Fillies his power to aid them in the final battle. The Dazzling Divas received upgraded forms and magic as a result, which allowed them to defeat both Ivory Towers and her demonic Board of Directors, including a high-ranking Greed demon, Don'yoku.
- It later goes both ways with his Love domain. As an embodiment of Philia Love, he can empower himself based on how much Philia Love is present in others, becoming nigh-unstoppable if theres a lot of it. He can also empower others through his friendships with them, and since he and his friends are very close, they tend to become super powerful.
- Super Hearing: His entry notes that as part of his Music domain, he has better hearing compared to many deities, allowing him to hear sounds generated by enemies and perform echolocation. Thankfully, both his mouth and ears are resistant even to the damaging effects of his own music as well.
- Supernatural Floating Hair: In his Alicorn form, both his mane and tail are much longer and perpetually rippling.
- Surprise Party: The entire Virtusidae would hold one for him and Bossa Nova in the Fourth Age after being reunited since the "Void Aeon" event, wanting to show their appreciation towards the twin Alicorns for being there for all of them since the Second Age.Blue Suede Heartstrings: You needed us here fast, somethin' wrong?
Prince Shamrock: Just through here...
Virtusidae: (shouting) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome:
- Even if they did stem from living in poverty as a colt, Blue's Big Eater habits are still unhealthy, and they became especially so after falling into a period of depression, grief, and disgust/disillusionment as an adult. After having a food-fueled nightmare about becoming grossly obese in his old age one night, he was motivated to cut down on his eating habits significantly. This resulted in him becoming much healthier and handsomer than his character inspiration, Elvis Presley, who became fat by contrast.
- As Three Leaf's entry implied, Blue's action of using his domain of Philia Love to magically sever Three Leaf friendship "rope" that bound her to Grey Hoof didn't automatically complete her emotional/mental recovery. Although it was a significant contributing factor, as having her "rope" cut finally made Three Leaf see what a horrible stallion Grey Hoof became without her feelings for him clouding her own mind, her recovery still took months to finish, and she needed the likes of Amour-De-Soi and Mentálne to help her deal with much of her trauma.
- His deliverance of a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to his then-record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note. While Hollow Note had it coming for exploiting and controlling Blue the way he did, it's still treated seriously as a grieving and extremely stressed Blue lost control of himself during a heated argument, and lashed out in a fit of rage. Once his anger cooled down, Blue was so horrified with what he had done that he fled the scene out of guilt, and was later found by Venerable Grace crying and praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.
- Canonized drabbles imply that Blue still has lingering trauma from dealing with Hollow Note, and sees himself as a Hypocrite for being reluctant to forgive his record manager despite the "King in Heaven" preaching forgiveness. Changeling Queen Ithomiini reminds him that while his feelings are valid, since Hollow Note's actions cannot be easily forgiven, Blue still has to learn when to let go because not all record managers are exploitative and abusive, "just like all directors are not like Colton Marentino". Ithomiini additionally points out that by clinging to Hollow Note's memory, even subconsciously, Blue continues to let himself be controlled by his manager even though he's dead. This would later give him the courage to reveal his trauma to his family and friends... who all became willing to help him recover out of gratitude towards him for helping them so much. Blue was so overwhelmed by this that he broke down crying.
- He genuinely regretted not being there to help the fallen Malrègnarian deities overcome their own flaws and atone for their mistakes, since as the Alicorn god of Humility, he's supposed to help people humble themselves. Iniquitous tells him not to waste his tears on the inept fools, since they had every opportunity to change yet refused to acknowledge their flaws and vices every time, and ultimately paid the price for it. She also informs him that it's useless to help people who don't want to be helped, and for all of his power and desire to help others, he's still only one god.Vicearch Iniquitous: (to Blue Suede Heartstrings) One cannot help those who refuse to be helped. Even with the cries and pleading of their worshipers, for all their supposed 'benevolence' and 'virtue', these pitiful gods and goddesses refused to acknowledge their own shortcomings. They continued their self-serving ambitions until everything literally fell apart around them. That is why, Sovereign of Music, We thought it quite fitting if they were punished through the same sins they indulged in so carelessly.
Sometimes, examples serve as a more effective teacher than mere words, Sovereign of Music, as cruel and harsh that might sound. Try and aid someone every time they err, and you would have exhausted yourself trying to keep them from making mistakes. And you, Sovereign of Music, are just one god.
No... It would have been better for people to learn from their own folly. Or, in this case, to suffer for and perish from it.
- Synchronization: Due to the empathic bond he shares with Bossa Nova as twins, one of them will feel the other's pain if either one is hurt in some way.
- When a Poenan deity assaulted Blue Suede during the Poenan Pantheon's attack on Ponyville for housing repentant/redeemed members of Sunnytown, provoking Bossa Nova into going on a furious rampage against the Poenans in retaliation.Bossa Nova Heartstrings: (angrily) YOU'VE ATTACKED MY BROTHER. YOU'VE HURT MY BROTHER. NOW YOU ALL SHALL BE PUNISHED IN TURN.
- When he was captured by the Elternteil Deer Pantheon and subjected to all sorts of horrific abuse by its xenophobic and puristic members, the pain Blue Suede suffered would transfer on to Bossa Nova, who desperately informed Belyolen of what's happening to his twin brother. This allowed Belyolen to save Blue Suede from receiving a wrongful conviction at the hooves of his family when he pointed out that they're at risk of attracting Golden Scepter's wrath for hurting a friend of the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon, forcing the Elternteil Deer Pantheon to let Blue Suede go free.
- Both Blue Suede and Bossa Nova ended up falling into an Angst Coma together when Blue Suede, after nearly turning into a Fallen Alicorn, shortly collapsed from sheer emotional/mental stress, taking Bossa Nova with him thanks to their bond. A group of friends (including Winter Opera and Prince Stoltur) psychically entered Blue Suede's mind to save them both, and when they found the Colonel, they encouraged Blue Suede to regain his pride, allowing him to kill the Colonel for good. This allowed him and Bossa Nova to wake up from their coma in the real world.
- When a Poenan deity assaulted Blue Suede during the Poenan Pantheon's attack on Ponyville for housing repentant/redeemed members of Sunnytown, provoking Bossa Nova into going on a furious rampage against the Poenans in retaliation.
- Talking Down the Suicidal: During the early days of his recovery, he once ran away in secret to commit suicide out of sheer despair and regret. Luckily, his loved ones would find him in time thanks to several precognitive deities, with Shamrock successfully talking him out of going through with his decision. It's noted that he would likely not be harmed much due to being a god, but by his own admission, he wasn't 'thinking straight' at the time.Prince Shamrock Bloom: Y'know, uh... I-I remember a certain stallion telling me that... that quitting is easy, and living is harder than dying. And those words, they, uh... they saved me. During a really hard spot in my life.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...Ahm sorry, Rocky. Ah failed y'all in more ways than Ah can count, both as yer godfather an' a teacher. An' not just you... Ah failed ev'ryone Ah know. Ah dunno if Ah can continue livin', knowing the things Ah did...
Prince Shamrock Bloom: We both made mistakes, Uncle Blue. I, um... I scare easily. You've seen me how I act sometimes. And you... uh, you tried saving the entire world from its mistakes by yourself. But it's not the end. All we gotta do is... pick ourselves up where we fell and, um... keep going.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: But how? Ah turned mahself into a monster, an' Ah didn't practice what Ah preached fer... what? Thousands a' years? How can Ah go on after that? How can the King forgive me fer actin' like some crazed hound dog all this time?
Prince Shamrock Bloom: Like- like you said, the King in Heaven is forgiving. If he's like... y'know, the Poenans, you would've been in Hell a long time ago. But- but you aren't. That means hes, um... willing to give you another chance. If he can forgive someone like me... then... he can forgive you, too. And I forgive you, Uncle Blue.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Rocky... thank you...
- Telepathy: Becoming the god of Humility gave him telepathic powers. This allows him to detect increasingly prideful thoughts and react accordingly. After learning under various Virtue and Psionics deities, his telepathy was boosted to the point where he can detect and moderate levels of humility in people. This is also what his Psychic Link with Bossa Nova allows them to do, once they reconsidered Kúzelník's offer and let him upgrade it.
- Time Abyss: Justified. He was born in the early Second Age, which gave his origins some ambiguity - theories include being former royalty, an apathetic and selfish god who was turned into a mortal as punishment for devouring populated worlds, an Ascended demi-divine son of Amareros, and a distant descendant of "Visitors" (especially the Celestial Ponies). His age and tall height would make him one of the older deities, especially when compared to those who were born and Ascended later in the Second Age, such as Queen Dazzleglow, Princess Brightglow, Princess Stitching Time.
- Token Religious Teammate: He's ironically the only divine member of the Equestrian Pantheon who is a faithful devotee of the "King in Heaven".
- Tranquil Fury: Whenever he gets angry, he usually shows nothing but a sharp glare and a deep, disappointed voice. The only times where he shows clear anger and upset towards someone is when his buttons are pressed, such as tribalist/racist behavior and music being exploited/misued. It's later revealed much of it stems from guilt over the horrors he witnessed and participated in during the 'Second Maretian-Tellusian War', and giving his abusive manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown after snapping during a heated argument. It's also deconstructed in that his Tranquil Fury is the result of him repressing his 'bad' emotions, including his anger, which ends up backfiring when he snaps and nearly becomes a Fallen Alicorn following a brutal Trauma Conga Line in the Fourth Age. His following recovery averts it when Mentálne brings over Yarost to help him accept his anger and express it in healthier ways instead of bottling it up.
- Trauma Conga Line:
- He undergoes a brutal pre-Ascension one in the Second Age, including - losing both parents (his mother to a terminal illness, his father to an automobile accident); being subjected to homophobia in his country for falling in love with a stallion; learning of the public assassination of Zebra Reverend Beautiful Dreamer, whom he admired; and being abused, exploited, and overworked by his sociopathic and corrupt manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, to the point of hospitalization. The last straw was when, while trying to fire Hollow Note for his behavior, Blue Suede learned that he was nothing but a pawn for Hollow Note to profit off of and protect himself from anyone who's interested in his own private life, leading to him snapping and delivering his manager a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown in revenge. Blue Suede felt so guilty afterwards that first he tried putting himself in prison, then resorted to becoming a recluse out of bitterness and disillusionment, which he would've succeeded at if Venerable Grace had not chosen to throw the party that Luminiferous would attend. Later on, Blue Suede learned that his 'dead' twin brother, Bossa Nova, was indirectly responsible for setting everything off in a well-meaning attempt to help him deal with losing his parents, and while Blue Suede acknowledged it led to him being 'freed' from Hollow Note in a way, it also understandably led to him secretly resenting Bossa Nova, which wouldn't be resolved until much later.
- He undergoes this again in the Fourth Age - Blue Suede witnessed (among other things) the country that would become Equestria nearly turn into a frozen wasteland as a result of both the conflicts stoked by proto-Pony Autorist Commander Gale, and the bigotry initially held by the Founders of Equestria. After having a prophetic vision of a disaster befalling the Alvslog Deer Herds after the 'Well-To-Do Crisis', Blue Suede tried helping the Alvslog Deer humble themselves by appearing as a mortal Deer stag to get around their xenophobia... only to be caught, horribly abused, imprisoned in miserable conditions, and nearly subjected to a wrongful punishment by the Elternteil Deer Pantheon, who in their arrogance assumed he was "stealing away" their mortal subjects. The Elternteil Deer deities' abuse reawakened old wounds and contributed to Blue Suede's downward spiral as his PTSD and other psychological issues were brought to the forefront, which he then tried to repress... only for it to blow up in his face when a concerned Stoltur warned his friends and family, leading to a heated confrontation that nearly turns him into a Fallen Alicorn and then lands him into an Angst Coma. Even though his friends and loved ones helped him get out of said coma, Blue Suede wakes up in the real world an extremely broken stallion who fully expects everyone to abandon him since he's not as 'perfect' or 'humble' as he appears to be.
- True Companions: He's very loyal and kind to his friends, and as a result, his friends are just as loyal and kind to him.
- When he was outed by "Colonel" Hollow Note as gay and a Unicorn, most of his friends stayed by his side and tried to protect him from his corrupt, abusive manager (those who left him out of bigoted disgust would regret it later on). The Manephis Mafia is perhaps the most prominent example as they were friends and relatives who loyally served as his bodyguards and confidants all their lives. When Hollow Note tried disbanding the Manephis Mafia, he got punched in the face by Day-Bright West, one of its members.
- After Ascending to godhood, he would make possibly thousands of friends throughout the Second Age and beyond, with some of them being former students who Ascended themselves under his tutelage. Even 'evil' entities such as Prince Stoltur and Vicearch Iniquitous became his friends, once he got over his own biases. This would eventually save his life - after he suffered an emotional breakdown from repressing three Ages worth of trauma and flaws and fell into an Angst Coma, a group of his friends psychically entered his mind and helped him fight 'The Colonel', leading to the entity's death. Once he woke up, everyone he helped over the years helped him recover out of gratitude, thanks to Prince Sermo giving them a Rousing Speech. The advice he received from some of his friends would also help him accept his prideful feelings, influencing him to join the Equestrian Pantheon as a Prince.
- Twin Telepathy: He shares a Psychic Link with his older brother, Bossa Nova, which is believed In-Universe to have stemmed from them being born identical twins. At first, their bond was purely empathic, allowing them to sense/feel each other's emotions and pain. Kúzelník offered to help them expand their bond, but they initially refused... until Blue Suede started repressing his 'bad' emotions, traumas, and flaws, causing Bossa Nova to be unaware of his brother's suffering and in turn contributing to Blue Suede's Sanity Slippage and eventual psychological breakdown. Once that came to light, Blue Suede and Bossa Nova reconsidered Kúzelník's offer and accepted it, giving them the ability to telepathically communicate each other through their bond. Bossa Nova was noted to have requested it this time around because he wanted to look after Blue Suede more and prevent him from having another breakdown.
- Underestimating Badassery: He was on the receiving end of this a few times.
- In one incident, a group of Griffon Autorists decided to target him for trying to prevent them from wiping out a peaceful Abyssinian settlement, arrogantly believing that they had him outnumbered and outgunned. Cue a very angry Blue revealing his true Alicorn form in front of them while screaming at the Autorists to "GET OUT!"
- Despite knowing that his rival had already achieved godhood by this point, War Rock still kept clashing with him and trying to kill him, because his ego was so huge that it blinded him to how powerful Blue had gotten since Ascending. This led to Blue defeating him more than once, as his divinity gave him a huge advantage over War Rock.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom:
- He unwittingly set War Rock on the path to villainy by Ascending to godhood, and then coming back to Ponyland after some years of global traveling so he could marry his then-coltfriend Record Beat in a more tolerable environment. Once news of his Ascension spread across the country, War Rock, who by this point was getting old and turning into a full-blown narcissist in denial, realized that he would die and be forgotten while his hated rival will be remembered. This drove him to try become immortal, too, so he could be worshiped by his fans forever.
- Professor Bubbling Beaker respected him for Ascending to godhood despite his flaws and/or being faced with immeasurable odds, and used both him and many other Ascendant deities as inspiration for unlocking the secrets of divine Ascension. Blue reacted with shame and anger since Bubbling Beaker killed many innocent foals and teenagers with his experiments.
- Upbringing Makes the Hero: A large part of his humility and tolerance/compassion towards people of all tribes/races stemmed from a religious upbringing, where he learned about the aforementioned virtues as a colt. His religious upbringing also inspired him to take up music, as many of the churches he attended had gospel choirs, which he loved.
- Vibroweapon: He can produce powerful shockwaves with his sonokinetic magic, either to damage/blow back enemies or send them through the ground to produce earthquakes. Later on, he can manifest his sound magic as pure vibrations that can pinpoint weaknesses and weaken/shatter various things, like structures, weapons, and armor.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: As the Alicorn god of Performance, he has shapeshifting abilities that allow him to alter his voice and take on the form of a mortal from various sapient species depending on where he is, such as Changelings, Kirin/Qilin, Ponies, Dragons, Deer, and Abyssinians. What helps his disguises is the fact that he's very good at masking his own Primordial Quintessence. However, his entry notes that deities with Truth domains can see right through him, and even those with strong Psychic Powers, such as Elske and Golden Scepter, can sense something off about him. It's later revealed that being a shapeshifter comes with Power Perversion Potential, which shows up after he marries long-time friend Prince Stoltur - because he's much taller than Stoltur, he changes his size so he can match up with his husband's, which is very convenient for whenever they have sex.
- Walking the Earth: After meeting an incognito Luminiferous and receiving a "pep-talk" from him, he would quit his job as a career musician, and traveled the world to perform for his fans on his own terms. This led to him becoming an Alicorn when the list of good deeds he had done in his journeys grew to the point where they warranted his Ascension. His globe-trotting also led to him meeting and befriending Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love and one of Amareros' daughters, as their travels would frequently cross paths with each other. Eventually, after recovering from his issues, he would realize that part of his globe-trotting was influenced by his fear of his own flaws, which leads to his decision to settle down in the Equestrian Pantheon and be crowned as Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria.
- Warrior Prince: He's technically a Prince due to achieving Ascension, but he refused to take the title out of humility. After overcoming his issues and learning to accept it's okay to be prideful, though, he chooses to become Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria and join the Equestrian Pantheon. As his folder shows, he's an ancient and powerful Alicorn god who is capable of kicking ass.
- What You Are in the Dark:
- Despite his personal disgust towards the repentant Sunnytowners' horrible actions against Ruby Heart and other innocent Ponies like her, he was too compassionate to let them continue suffering from emotional and mental trauma that stemmed from their experiences, which he compares to being stuck in "Heartbreak Hotel" for a long time. He helped Three Leaf break free of Grey Hoof's abusive influence by using his domain of Philia Love to magically severe the friendship "rope" binding them, which played a role in her finally making progress in her psychological recovery. He also encouraged Roneo to be more confident and assertive by rekindling the stallion's love for writing, and convinced Gladstone to let go of his protectiveness of Roneo and allow him to "grow up".
- Despite being a massively popular celebrity in the early Second Age (with all the vices that entails), he still tried keeping true to his values and staying humble and compassionate even as the music/movie industries of the Age were becoming increasingly corrupt. However, with the level of mental and emotional stress he was going through at the time, even he would end up slipping, as he would snap and beat up his exploitative record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, during a heated argument. Thus, he needed help from others such as Luminiferous to truly break free from the cycle, which led to him eventually Ascending to godhood after meeting the Alicorn god of Potential.
- Despite blowing up on Svengallop, Countess Coloratura's then-manager, Blue doesn't beat him up, instead following through with his threat to have him blacklisted from the entire music industry by contacting his honorary 'nephew', Prince Maestro. Presumably, he remembered the last time he really lost control of his temper and restrained himself for everyone's sake.
- While visiting Hollow Note's damned spirit in Malus Manes' Hell-Realms, he's given an opportunity to lord his divine power and new royal titles over his ex-manager, which would have viciously reminded Hollow Note of everything he desired and lost thanks to his own greed, paraonia, and ambition. However, once he looks into Hollow Note's eyes and sees how pathetic the stallion became since they last saw each other, he decides against it and instead leaves Hollow Note behind for good, stripping him of what little influence Hollow Note had over him and leaving his ex-manager frothing with rage.
- A magical accident involving a spell he was experimenting with Princess Winter Opera turns him into a Giant Alicorn. But instead of reveling in his larger size and physical power, he tries to avoid stepping on his Equestrian subjects and causing collateral damage until Winter Opera can shrink him back to normal. He admits the experience gave him some understanding on why Giants tend to act domineering in general.Prince Caerulus Melodia Equestria: So... this must be how them Giants feel like.
- Willfully Weak: Justified. Despite being a "prodigy" Alicorn god, he usually appears as members of mortal races because he doesn't want to be treated any different from his mortal (and divine) friends/fans for being a god. He only reveals his true divine form when absolutely necessary, such as confronting dangerous entities that he can't fight in his mortal form. It's later averted when, after going through an spectacular psychological breakdown and recovering from it, he started being more comfortable with being in his Alicorn form and learned new skills and powers pertaining to his domains.
- Winged Unicorn: His true form is described as a tall Alicorn with a long horn, a Holy Halo made of Music energy, and a dark blue gradient on his great wings. His mane and tail are also much longer, rippling, and made of dark blue energy soundwaves with lighter blue musical bars and notes running through them. And as a "prodigy" deity, he's already showing signs of gaining his second pair of wings, since his physical and magical growth are both accelerated compared to "normal" deities.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are:
- It's implied that Luminiferous gave him a "pep-talk" of this nature, seeing that Blue had hit an all-time low and really needed some cheering-up. This motivated Blue to quit his job as a career musician and travel the world to perform on his own terms, bringing joy and hope with his music even after he became an Alicorn.
- After he confesses to Changeling Queen Ithomiini that he feels like "a failure and a hypocrite" for not following the "King in Heaven"'s example via forgiving his exploitative Control Freak manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, Ithomiini assures Blue that he is not either those things because he's always willing to make amends for his flaws/mistakes. In her eyes, "[that's] not what a failure or a hypocrite does".
- You Are Not Alone:
- During his trial, he assures the Elternteil High Queen, Arvan, that she's not alone in grieving over lost loved ones, because there are others who suffered as much as she did. Unfortunately, this disgusted the xenophobic Elternteil Deer deities, but thankfully, Belyolen intervened before they could punish Blue for showing genuine kindness to their High Queen.Blue Suede Heartstrings: All I'm tryin' to say is, ma'am, that you're not alone. You never were. All you need to do is open your eyes, and look at the people who love and adore you.
- Changeling Queen Ithomiini pretty much says this verbatim when he confesses to her his experiences with "Colonel" Hollow Note, revealing that she had many times served as a therapist for emotionally and mentally traumatized employees/actors/film crew who had been mistreated by abusive directors and producers.Queen Ithomiini: Ah... you are not alone, Blue. Many of my crew have gone through the same thing. Some still bear trauma from the mistreatment of their previous handlers. I've been approached and confessed to about still bearing a grudge against their former bosses, and many times I've had to play therapist for them by listening to them and preventing them from acting out on their vengeful urges.
Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...Did it work?
Queen Ithomiini: Not always, darling... but even so, I still try to save whomever I can by giving them an ear and directing them to my studios.
- After waking up from an Angst Coma and remembering that he nearly turned into a Fallen Alicorn, he started apologizing repeatedly for his actions, fully expecting his friends and loved ones to abandon him. He was proven wrong when everyone stayed and Sola Mors told him that it is their turn to help him, causing him to break down crying over being shown so much love and gratitude.
- In a canonized Codexverse drabble, Blue was one of several Second-Age Alicorns Princess Stitching Time brought over to assure Star Flower that despite currently being the last Flutter Pony alive]], she isn't alone as she thinks she is. This is achieved by all the Second-Age Alicorns present showing off the Flutter Pony aspects in their wings as a reminder that Alicorns embody the Flutter Pony tribe as well. This caused Star Flower to cry Tears of Joy as she hugged everyone out of gratitude.
- When Prince Shamrock approached him and confessed his fears and worries about "missing out" on romance, as well as not being good at loving people and being loved back romantically, Blue tells his godson that he's not missing out as he thinks he is.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Rocky... do you know what I embody?
Prince Shamrock: Um... Music, Humility, Performance... ah, what's the last one... Love?
Blue Suede Heartstrings: You're right. I do embody Love... but I really embody the love of friendship. I help people make friends by encouraging them to be themselves, and I help repair their bonds if they ever get in a spat. In addition, I can see the bonds that tie people together, like ropes. You're not missing out, Rocky. I can see... probably a hundred or a thousand ropes tying you to many different people. That's not bad. It just shows you love them and you're loved back.
- During his trial, he assures the Elternteil High Queen, Arvan, that she's not alone in grieving over lost loved ones, because there are others who suffered as much as she did. Unfortunately, this disgusted the xenophobic Elternteil Deer deities, but thankfully, Belyolen intervened before they could punish Blue for showing genuine kindness to their High Queen.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Like Flash Sentry, he has a dark blue mane and tail, except his own hair is much darker to the point where it has appeared black under certain lighting.