Second-Age Heroes | Second-Age Villains | Fourth-Age Heroes (Pillars of Equestria, Sisterhood of Magical Fillies [Dazzling Divas]) | Fourth-Age Villains (Tyrannos Pantheon, Children of Ispita, The Shadowed Ones, Tribalists, Autorists, Hydianites) | The Grand Primevals | Amaredae | Equestrian Pantheon | Breezie Pantheon | Diamond Dog Pantheon | Gremlin Pantheon | Bogolenya Deer Pantheon (Belyolen, Temnobog, The Four Terrors) | Abyssinian Pantheon | Church of the Stars (Golden Scepter) | Poenan Pantheon | Hoyklan Deer Pantheon | Elternteil Deer Pantheon | Minotaur Pantheon | Jotunn Pantheon | Tauren Giant Pantheon | Draconic Pantheon | Shinseina Pantheon | Dharmadeshvar Pantheon | Zebrafrican Pantheon | Old Orosian Pantheon | Pramanthan Pantheon | Great Skunk Pantheon | Sauropodian Pantheon | Novellus Pantheon | Unaffiliated Deities (Blue Suede Heartstrings) | Principalities of Equestria (Canterlot, Ponyville) | Sunnytown | Grittish Isles | Crystal Empire | Luchalibre | Alvslog Deer Realms | Erobreseg Deer Realms | Nordskelt Deer Realms | Abyssinia | The Storm Empire | Terran Empire (Fanged Paw, Crimson Star, Steel Barricade, Written Word) | The Changeling Courts (Spring Court, Summer Court, Autumn Court, Winter Court) | Kulesian-Mazlander Commonwealth | The Cloven Empire | Friendship Gardens | Hyrule | Machina | Neighpon | Imperium of Ponykind | Kerajaan Cahaya | Sauropoda | Hybrid Haven | Meridia | Dragonflights | Giants | Mephitidia | Mousikós | Alicorn Civilization | The Visitors | Creatures and Monsters | Historical and Mythical Characters
Blue Suede Heartstrings, the King of Music
Divine Classification: Ethereal/Ascendant
Portfolio: Music, Humility, Performance, Love
Rank: Divine (Tier IV/Greater)
"Whatever I will become will be what the higher powers has chosen for me."
Blue Suede Heartstrings (his entry here) is a benevolent Alicorn god of Music, Humility, Performance, and Love, and an extremely famous and beloved celebrity icon whose reputation survived the Ages of Known History.
While his origins have been subjected to some ambiguity due to him being born in the early Second Age, Blue's true backstory is that he was born in southern Ponyland. His foalhood was marred by tragedy and hardship - his older identical twin brother, Bossa Nova, was stillborn, and a group of Category 5 tornadoes devastated his hometown. He and his family were also poor, and his parents' job instability meant that they had to move around for more financial opportunities. Despite this, they still took the time to attend church frequently, and it was religion that influenced the young Blue to become humble and take up music as his future career.
Blue was too poor to afford any formal music education, though his great talent for music would be revealed over time. His creation of a fusion of various musical genres that would be defined as "Rock and Roll" launched him into global stardom, turning him into one of the most recognizable celebrity icons of the Second Age. He was known for being polite, kind-hearted, and friendly even to his fans, and it was joked that he could stop conflicts just by showing up. However, a few personal tragedies - including his parents' deaths and witnessing the hubris and corruption of the media industries - caused Blue to become rather depressed, self-destructive, and disillusioned with celebrity life. After recording the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise", Blue planned to quit making music and withdraw from the limelight forever... but fortunately, he would be discovered in time by an incognito Luminiferous, who roused him out of his despair with a pep-talk. While Blue still quit his job, he would instead take up globe-trotting and performed around the world on his own terms thanks to the encounter.
Blue's good deeds led to him Ascending to godhood, which allowed him to resolve boiling tensions left behind by great crises such as the Maretian Wars and the "Winter Wedding Crisis". It is believed by many that when the "Void Aeon" event occurred, he continued performing to inspire hope in the face of overwhelming tragedy, and protected the innocent from the monsters that sprung up. He would continue travelling from the Third Age onward until he caught the eye of Queen Dazzleglow, who offered him a spot in the Church of the Stars. Blue kindly yet humbly turned her down on the reasoning that he didn't want to be given special treatment for being divine, but he remained in touch with Dazzleglow as he spread his benevolent influence throughout the Fourth Age.
Even before Ascending, Blue is a very polite, kind-hearted, and friendly stallion to almost everyone he meets. Despite being a celebrity, he genuinely loved interacting with his fans and always made time for them after his concerts, whether to sign autographs or to just talk with them. When not performing, Blue has an "adorkable" side - he can be a bit reserved and shy at times, and loved reading the superhero comics of the Second Age. He also is rather fond of children, and often behaved like an older brother figure for them, with one in particular being an orphaned pegasus filly who hailed from the Sandwich Islands. Blue also gets along most with those who love music as much as he does. Having popularized Rock and Roll and experimented with other genres, he is very knowledgeable and passionate about music in general, leading to him befriending fellow musicians such as Melody, a Second-Age "Tales Seven" heroine, along with Vinyl Scratch and her friend Octavia Melody in the Fourth Age.
Two of Blue's most prominent traits is his humility and his interracial friendliness. Being devoutly religious, he remained humble even during his career, and disliked his public title as "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]". In his mind, there's only two people who deserved it more - his idol, Earth pony musician Black Domino, and a cosmic power Blue referred to as "the King in Heaven". After becoming the Alicorn god of Humility, he would help people realize the consequences of unchecked Pride when not performing for them, leading to Blue befriending Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, the Bogolenya Deer god of Evil and Pride. Blue is also known for his interracial friendliness; despite being born in a time when tribalism was heavily encouraged, he respected and befriended Ponies from all three tribes, which was seen as shocking and offensive behavior. And from the Third Age onward, he would extend his hoof to non-Equine races. His compassion both pre- and post-Ascension were what allowed his reputation to endure the passing of the Second Age, and his deeds gave birth to stories about how he would reach out to people from all races, either through genuine kindness or music.
However, that doesn't mean he is incapable of getting angry. While difficult to rile up due to a laidback and mellow temperament, Blue usually goes into a state of "tranquil" fury if angered, only glaring and speaking disappointingly to people who behave badly around him and others. But there are times where he would get angry enough to display it openly and resort to physical violence. Having grown up in a time where tribalism was heavily encouraged, and having been a frequent target of both tribalists and Autorists himself, Blue sees tribalism/racism in general as stupid and childish, and gets really upset whenever he sees such behavior. Blue is also not above having flaws of his own, notably having a bad habit of giving himself too little credit even when it's rightly deserved. To this day, Stoltur has been encouraging him to have a little more pride in himself, as too little pride is as bad as too much.
Despite his often unassuming appearances, Blue is an ancient, powerful, and experienced Alicorn god, which is helped by the fact that he is one of many divine "prodigies" on Equus. As the god of Music, he has an extremely impressive mastery over music-based magic, and has mostly used it to heal and empower his allies, though it sometimes served as an offensive force. In relation to his Music domain, he is very skilled in wielding sound magic, being capable of unleashing powerful sonic screams, lulling people to sleep with a hypnotic voice, and masking his own presence by nullifying sound. As the god of Humility, Blue has telepathic and empathic abilities that allow him to sense and discourage unchecked Pride - notably, he can radiate an empathic aura that lessens prideful feelings, and "emotion-bomb" people by making them feel the suffering they have caused others with their arrogance, but generally he doesn't like doing the latter. Blue also has precognitive abilities that give him visions of good and bad futures depending on a person's actions, which allow him to warn them of the future consequences of their actions if they don't change their ways.
As the god of Performance, Blue is an expert performer and actor by divine standards, and is skilled in both changing his appearance and voice so he could blend in with mortals unnoticed. This is helped by both his experiences as a mortal movie actor and his skill in masking his own Primordial Quintessence. He also has peak physical speed and agility, allowing him to run and dance exceptionally well no matter where he is. A unique ability given by his Performance domain is sensing the quality of various performance arts, especially music, making him see if other musicians have put their heart and soul into their own work. And as the god of Love - specifically, Philia Love - he can see the bonds of friendship that tie mortals and divines together, manifesting as magical rope that become frayed if the relationships are damaged. While he mostly works to repair these bonds, he possesses a more dangerous ability in that he can sever them, though only to free people from magical coercion and abusive relationships that they otherwise can't on their own.
Because of his existence as a god of Humility, Blue has earned attention from benevolent deities, including Queen Dazzleglow. One of the major problems that continuously plagues sapientkind is arrogance, especially of the self-destructive and complacent kind that comes from being extremely successful. Therefore, if Equus is to survive, sapientkind as a whole must let go of its pride and prepare for future disasters. Blue's friendship with Stoltur also caught the attention of Canteros, Amareros' firstborn son and the god of Requited Love, who believes that he and Stoltur might become lovers someday due to their closeness and compatibility.
Despite his fame and reputation, Blue still remains deeply humble and kind-hearted through it all, and in turn inspires others to do the same.
open/close all folders
# - B
- 11th-Hour Superpower: He would personally intervene after the Dazzling Divas were subjected to a Curb-Stomp Battle by an divinely-empowered Ivory Towers, by turning the Dazzling Divas into his Clerics and granting them both upgraded forms and magic via his Music domain. This allowed the Magical Fillies to defeat Ivory Towers and her demonic forces, and perform greater feats in general whenever they call upon his power.
- 100% Adoration Rating: A large factor in his enduring popularity is that he's a very humble, polite, and friendly stallion who always tries to make time for his fans after concerts, whether just to talk or sign autographs. He's also very respectful to both Ponies of all three tribes and non-Equine sapient races. Because of this, it was joked during the early Second Age that Blue was so popular, he could stop squabbles and conflicts just by showing up. The only people who don't like him would be tribalists and Autorists, since his interracial (and tribal) friendliness irks them, and the feeling is mutual since Blue hates tribalism/racism in general.
- Abstract Apotheosis: After meeting Luminiferous, he would quit his job as a career musician and take up globe-trotting to perform on his own terms. The various good deeds he made during his adventures, including teaching people the dangers of unchecked pride, would eventually allow him to Ascend, turning him into the Alicorn god of Music and Humility.
- The Ace: His entry notes that he is one of many "prodigy" deities born during Known History. As a mortal, despite being too poor to afford a formal education in music, Blue would reveal his talents when he created a fusion of various musical genres that would be defined as "Rock and Roll/Rockabilly", rocketing himself to global stardom. While he doesn't see himself as the "creator" of Rock and Roll, as there were other early pioneers of Rock and Roll that he respected/idolized, Blue would continue experimenting with different genres, such as jazz, pop, gospel, country, modern rock, and a bit of Oceanic music. He would even create an epic "classical rock" fusion after befriending Octavia Melody. After Ascending to godhood and becoming the Alicorn god of Music, he became very creative in how he uses it, such as stomping on surfaces so he could heal deaf people, and generating an energy-based stage with accompanying instruments so his music can have far-reaching effects. Because he's a "prodigy" deity, his physical and magical growth is accelerated at an abnormal rate compared to normal divines, which includes showing signs of growing a second pair of wings.
- Acid Reflux Nightmare: Sometime after his parents' deaths, he had a food-fueled nightmare in which he became grossly fat in his old age. This is what motivated him to cut down on his Big Eater habits significantly, leading to him becoming much healthier (and handsomer) than Elvis Presley, who didn't develop the same restraint and became really fat as a consequence.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: While he had the same huge appetite as Elvis Presley did, he would significantly cut down on his eating habits after having a food-fueled nightmare about becoming grossly fat in his old age, resulting in him retaining his handsomeness by the time he Ascended. By stark contrast, Elvis didn't adopt the same restraint, causing him to grow really fat later in his life.
- Adaptational Badass: Both Blue and his character inspiration, Elvis Presley, are musicians who are also former soldiers who served during World War II. Unlike Elvis, however, Blue would meet Luminiferous during a very low point in his life, which motivates him to quit his job as a career musician and travel around the world, doing good deeds until he became an Alicorn god of Music and Humility (something he sees as ironic due to his religious background).
- Adorkable: He has this side of him just like Luminiferous. He was a total Momma's Boy when his parents were alive, he loves reading superhero comics (and even based his appearance on a few superhero characters), and he's very fond of children to the point where he acts like an older brother figure for them. His entry even notes that despite improving significantly on his foalhood stage fright, he can still be a bit reserved and shy at times.
- The Ageless: By virtue of being an Alicorn, he is this. Because he was relatively young by the time he Ascended, he remains forever in his prime. Of course, cutting down on his Big Eater habits significantly helped with his appearance, too.
- All-Loving Hero: His entry notes that even as a mortal, Blue is very polite, kind-hearted, and friendly to almost everyone he meets, including his fans, Ponies of all tribes, non-Pony races, and even divines. This is what allowed his reputation as a popular and beloved celebrity to survive even past the Second Age, and has earned the attention of both mortals and divines, such as King Ibrida, the Draconequus god of Hybrids. The fact that he became a god himself through his good deeds in the Second Age hasn't affected his friendliness at all, and in fact uses his divinity to help people in need. And as the god of Humility, he reaches out to prideful individuals and tries to help them realize the error of their ways so he could redeem them. Among his accomplishments are befriending Ponies from all three tribes despite tribalism being heavily encouraged in the early Second Age; persuading a few Alvslog Deer to abandon their prideful, reactionary, racist, and self-righteous ways while still keeping their love for nature; and helping the repentant Sunnytowners recover from their emotional/mental traumas despite knowing what they did to Ruby Heart and other innocent ponies. The only people he doesn't like are tribalists/racists, and people who "cheapen" music and/or use it for evil, and even then, he tries to deal with them with kindness first before resorting to violence. Those who do manage to provoke his wrath end up regretting it immensely.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Like Elvis, he was originally the younger of identical twins, but his older brother, Bossa Nova, came out stillborn. It's believed in-universe that while the loss of his brother left him affected in some way, as he developed a fondness for kids and has been seen talking to those who lost beloved family members, such as Prince Written Word, who lost his mortal pegasus mother to old age. In reality, while Bossa Nova was dead, he became a Psychopomp working for his adoptive father, Gavisus Manes, then eventually Ascended to godhood via performing a lot of good deeds. Discovering that he really had a brother shocked Blue so much that he fainted.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Embodies Music, Humility, Performance, and Love.
- Armor-Piercing Question: During a fight with Hrůza, the Draconequus goddess of Mass Hysteria and Fear, he would ask her a series of these regarding Ispita's upbringing, getting under Hrůza's skin and ultimately revealing her to be nothing more than an emotionally abused child who desperately wants her mother's approval because she is treated as worthless for not being a Reality Warper like her biological siblings. Hrůza doesn't take this well at all.Blue Suede Heartstrings: If your mother really cared, would you keep bendin' yourself over backwards just to please her, or get her attention at all? Would you keep defendin' her and tellin' yourself she still loved you even though she treats you like trash for not bein' what she wanted?
Hrůza: SHUT UP!!!
- "Awesome McCool" Name: "Blue Suede Heartstrings" is a pretty cool name for an Alicorn god who embodies Music and is based on Elvis Presley.
- Badass Baritone: He's described by his entry as having a deep yet smooth and pleasant-sounding singing voice, even in his mortal forms. He's also a powerful Alicorn god, a talented musician, and a former soldier who fought in the "Second Great War".
- Beam Spam: One of the things he can do with his Music domain is fire beams of pure musical energy.
- Beauty = Goodness: His entry describes him as being incredibly handsome, both as an Alicorn and as a mortal unicorn. The various mortal forms he would wear after Ascending are also handsome by the standards of the races they're based on. He's also an incredibly humble and compassionate individual who genuinely loves his fans and helps redeem prideful individuals by promoting Humility in them.
- Berserk Button: Has a few.
- Like Elvis himself, he hates being called "the King". Because he was raised by religious parents, Blue believes in a higher power (speculated to be the god Equus) that's far more deserving of his titles. He also doesn't see himself as "the King of Rock and Roll" because - as far as he's concerned, he merely took inspiration from Earth pony music and believes there are many Earth pony musicians who could sing better than him, such as Black Domino, whom Blue idolized.
- He hates tribalism/racism, having grown up in early southern Ponyland during a time where it was heavily encouraged and accepted. The fact that he was willing to befriend people from different Pony tribes and non-Equine races was seen as shocking and offensive even during the early Second Age, resulting in his many critics and enemies attempting to sully his image. Even in the Fourth Age, he got attacked by the Age's tribalists, as well as Autorists for extending his hoof to non Equine races. Because of this, Blue sees tribalist/racist behavior as stupid and childish, and gets really upset when people display it around him and others. It's revealed in a Codexverse quote that the brutal lynching of an teenage Earth pony colt, Garden Spade, played a major factor in his hatred of tribalism/racism in general because not only was it senselessly cruel, the killers responsible got away with their crime as well, with the judges themselves letting them go out of tribalism instead of doing the right thing.
- He hates it when music is "cheapened", as songs made purely for profit sound flat and dead, with absolutely nothing enjoyable about them at all. In Blue's opinion, what makes music "good" is if the creators put all of their heart and soul into their work. This came from his own experiences, where an increasingly corrupt Second-Age music industry influenced him from making music solely because he enjoyed it to making music just to earn some cash, and he himself was trapped under the hoof of an exploitative record manager nicknamed "The Colonel" (until Bossa Nova's manipulations unwittingly set him free, that is).
- He also hates people who misuse music as a tool for evil, which his entry notes is a surefire way to get him angry. Blue ended up fiercely opposing High Duchess Hrůza, the divine Draconequus goddess of Mass Hysteria and Fear and Ispita's second daughter, during the "Temptation Unbound" conflict because she killed and trapped thousands of innocent people with her fear-inspired music. However, he began to pity Hrůza after learning of her emotionally abusive upbringing by Ispita.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Despite being a celebrity and one of the most famous unicorn musicians in his time, Blue Suede Heartstrings is a very nice stallion whose prominent traits are his humility and compassion towards people of all races, regardless of who they are. He also loves his fans and is always willing to make time for them. However, it's not advisable to piss him off in any way, as underneath his mortal disguises, Blue is actually an ancient and powerful Alicorn god, and he will not hesitate to reveal his true form if the situation requires it.
- While he usually displays Tranquil Fury, he started shouting when he confronted the group of tribalists that was terrorizing his fans during a concert, even slipping into his natural southern Ponyland accent.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (to the tribalists) You can knock me down, step on my face... Heck, you can slander my name all over the place. You can do everything that y'wanna do to me, but fer Heavens' sake, stop this nonsense an' lay offa my friends, ya yellow-bellied squares!
- In the Second Age, before his Ascension, he was furious when he heard that a teenage Earth pony colt, Garden Spade (the expy/ersatz of Emmett Till) was brutally lynched by a few tribalists for supposedly whistling at a unicorn mare. When reporters requested his opinion on the lynching, he delivered a scathing public "The Reason You Suck" Speech towards the killers responsible, as well as the judges who let them get away with their crime and those who turned a blind eye out of tribalism/cowardice.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Now, I can't say anything that'll offend the King in Heaven, but anyone who does something so AWFUL like that and thinks it's okay doesn't DESERVE t' be called a 'good citizen of Ponyland'. Same for those who turn a blind eye an' let their fellas commit such acts because they don't like certain folks or have the heart t' speak up.
- In another incident, he confronted a group of Griffon Autorists who attacked an Abyssinian settlement. At first, he tried to get them to leave the Abyssinians alone the diplomatic way, but starts losing his patience each time the Autorists display racist behavior and refuse to listen to him. When the Autorists decide to make him their first victim and ready their weapons, Blue finally snaps and reveals his true Alicorn form, screaming at them to "GET OUT!!!"
- After enduring a particularly brutal and tragic Trauma Conga Line, he snapped when he got into a heated argument with his record manager, "The Colonel", which ended with him giving his manager a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown for exploiting and controlling him throughout his entire musical career. He ended up regretting his actions though, and was later found by Record Beat cryign and fervently praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.
- While he usually displays Tranquil Fury, he started shouting when he confronted the group of tribalists that was terrorizing his fans during a concert, even slipping into his natural southern Ponyland accent.
- Big Damn Heroes: He would arrive just in time to lend aid just as the Dazzling Divas were on the verge of being defeated by villainous Elephant corporate, Ivory Towers, who became a Cleric of the Tyrannos god of Greed, Avarita, through a second Deal with the Devil. Blue's intervention turned the Dazzling Divas into his Clerics, granting them upgraded uniforms and stronger magic that allowed them to defeat Ivory Towers and the Greed demon, Don'yoku.
- Big Eater: Justified and deconstructed. Blue had a huge appetite when he was a mortal, which was believed to have stemmed from living in poverty as a colt, and was infamous for it in-universe. However, his appetite started turning into unhealthy stress-eating after he went through a series of personal tragedies/hardships in his life, including the deaths of his parents and his developing disillusionment with the music/movie industries in general. After having a food-fueled nightmare in which he became grossly fat in his old age, Blue decided to cut down on his eating significantly, resulting in him retaining his handsomeness by the time he met Luminiferous. By stark contrast, Elvis Presley, Blue's character inspiration, did not develop the same restraint in real life and became grossly fat as a consequence. Hilariously, some people in the Second Age have theorized him to be a former god who was a Big Eater that constantly devoured populated worlds ala Galactus, until he was turned into an amnesiac mortal as punishment.
- Big Little Brother: Downplayed. Due to being identical twins, he's marginally younger than Bossa Nova, his brother. However, as deities, he's now the "older" brother because he Ascended first while Bossa Nova Ascended shortly after, making him "younger". Hilariously, Bossa Nova didn't take this well when he found out, but he gradually accepted it.
- Big Name Fan: In-universe. Despite becoming one of the most famous and celebrated musicians of the Second Age, he still remained a huge fan of Black Domino, and hated how his titles and much of his fame went to him instead of his idol because he's a unicorn. In Blue's mind, if there's anyone who truly deserved to be called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]", it should be Black Domino (the other reason is that Blue is devoutly religious, so the other "King" is the ancient god Equus).
- Birds of a Feather:
- He became close friends with Fluttershy, the former Bearer of Kindness and now Queen Gaia Posey of Friendship Gardens, because they're both incredibly humble and compassionate individuals despite their great power and positions.
- His passion and knowledge in music led to him befriending a few divine and mortal musicians. He was friends with the similarly innovative and talented Melody, who was dubbed "the Enduring Rockstar" in the Second Age. And in the Fourth Age, he befriended Vinyl Scratch, known as "DJ Pon-3" on-stage, and her friend, Octavia Melody, whom he worked with often to create an epic "classical rock" fusion. He also became close to Lyra Heartstrings and has supported her musical career, even blessing her relationship (and later marriage) with Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops, though in this case, it's because Lyra is rumored (and later confirmed in-universe) that she is one of his mortal descendants through one of his deceased lovers.
- Bi the Way: His entry notes that he had a few past relationships where he slept with both mares and stallions. Bossa Nova's entry reveals that his first coltfriend was Record Beat, a unicorn stallion and DJ who later became his husband. However, Blue was completely faithful and loving towards all of his partners, and never forgot their names and faces even long after they died. It's rumored in-universe that Lyra Heartstrings, a unicorn lyrist living in Ponyville, is a mortal demi-divine descendant of his through one of his deceased lovers, due to sharing similar names... and as a shocked Lyra discovered, the rumors are actually true. Other rumored descendants include Flash Sentry, a pegasus Royal Guard, and ex-Sunnytowners Roneo and Gladstone. Canteros, Amareros' firstborn son, also hints that Blue might end up becoming a couple with Prince Stoltur in the future, due to their closeness and compatibility as friends.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: In-universe. It's heavily implied that his last song as a career musician, "(You're the) Devil in Disguise", was intended to be a jab directed at the Second-Age music/movie industries he once worked with, given that he had since grown incredibly disgusted and disillusioned with their excesses, hubris, and corruption.
- Blue Is Heroic: Pun aside, he has dark blue hair, and is named after a color and a song (specifically, "Blue Suede Shoes"). After Ascending, his Cutie Mark gained a halo made of light blue music notes, and his hair is described as being made of energy soundwaves with light blue music bars and notes running through them. He's also a heroic, humble, and kind-hearted stallion who seeks to promote Humility in both mortal and divine sapientkind.
- Bonding Over Missing Parents:
- His entry notes that he had been reportedly seen talking with those who lost beloved family members like he did, such as Prince Written Word from the Terran Empire. Like Blue, Written Word also lost his mother, though to old age in his case, and her death left a profound effect on him that he eventually recovered from.
- He understands Miracle Hymn's over losing both of her parents to Ivory Towers' demonic forces at a young age, having gone through depression and trauma from losing his own parents in the early Second Age. Because of this, he spends enough time with her that he essentially became her foster father.
- Break the Believer: Subverted. Despite witnessing the flaws of many gods and goddesses over the course of thousands of years since his Ascension, and realizing that the "King in Heaven" he worshiped is likely just as flawed, he soon realized that (in his words) being born good, bad, and/or in-between is "just how the world is". As he explains to Prince Written Word, even deities have the power to improve themselves, and if someone like the "King in Heaven" can do that, then he has hope that he can still remain humble even when he is tempted with sin.
- Break the Haughty: Invoked. As the Alicorn god of Humility, he seeks to redeem prideful individuals by showing them the consequences of their behavior, and teaching them the value of humility. He would advise a Second-Age friend, Melody of the "Tales Seven" group, not to brag about her achievements and alienate her friends/associates. And in the Fourth Age, he took on the guise of a mortal Deer stag and successfully convinced a few Deer from the Alvslog Deer Herds to abandon their prideful, racist, reactionary, and self-righteous ways while still keeping their love for nature. His entry notes that he can inflict a more painful version of this by "emotion-bombing" his targets with the pain they had inflicted on others with their arrogance, though he only does this if his targets need a little more convincing to change their ways and generally doesn't like hurting people like that.
- But Not Too Black: In-universe example. It's implied that part of the reason why Blue earned his title as "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" in the Second Age is because he's a unicorn, while someone like Black Domino, a fellow musician, got overlooked because he's an Earth pony. This pissed off Blue something fierce, as he idolized Black Domino and his music, and sees the latter as the far better singer compared to himself.
C - E
- Celebrity Is Overrated: He would experience this as a mortal in some point of his life. Losing both of his parents (first his mother, then his father), learning that a beloved and kindhearted reverend was assassinated for promiting tribal/racial equality, witnessing the hubris and corruption within the music/movie industries, being under the hoof of an exploitative and controlling record manager, and having his music be "cheapened" for money left him rather depressed to the point where he developed self-destructive habits, such as stress-eating. Around the time he recorded the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise", he would hit an all-time low when he snapped from the severe emotional stress and grief he was carrying and beat up his manager, "The Colonel", during a heated argument in retaliation for controlling him throughout his entire career... only to severely regret doing so and was later found by Record Beat crying and praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness. He planned to quit performing music and disappear from the limelight forever, when he met an incognito Luminiferous. The pep-talk he received from Luminiferous motivated him to take up globe-trotting and performing on his own terms after he quit his job as a career musician, leading to him eventually becoming an Alicorn god through his good deeds.
- Celebrity Survivor: He had survived two cataclysmic events that ended two Known Ages, such as the "Void Aeon", as well as the Third Age cataclysm that also destroyed the musical island archipelago of Mousikós. It's implied that he participated in and survived other events like the Maretian Wars, the "Winter Wedding Crisis", and even the Second Great War... to say nothing of the tornado outbreak that struck and devastated southern Ponyland, which he and his family narrowly survived when he was just one-year-old.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Justified. He grew up during the Second Age in a time where being a "tail-chaser" was the norm for colts and stallions, so naturally, this rubbed off on him and gave him flirting tendencies. However, his religious upbringing taught him the value of humility, and it influenced him later on to never go beyond simple flirting, and respect those who are in established relationships and/or are married. He even had a few past relationships with both mares and stallions where he was completely faithful and loving, and never forgot his partners' names and faces long after they died.
- Combat Tentacles: One of the things he can do with his Magic Music is grow soundwave "tentacles" to restrain and/or strangle his enemies.
- Contrived Coincidence: He had just hit an all-time low by the time he recorded the song, "(You're the) Devil in Disguise". Hilariously, he would end up meeting two "devils in disguise" afterwards - the first was Luminiferous, who set Blue on the path that led to him Ascending to godhood, and the second was Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, the Deer god of Evil and Pride who would become one of his best friends in the Fourth Age.
- Cool Big Sis: Gender-inverted. He's very fond of kids and tends to act as an older brother figure for them. It's believed in-universe that this stemmed from losing his older identical twin brother, Bossa Nova, at birth; while it did happen, the ironic twist is that Bossa Nova continued to "live" on despite being stillborn, and eventually Ascended to godhood himself.
- Cool Shades: His entry mentions that he wears a pair of black sunglasses with a black leather jacket while in the form of a mortal unicorn stallion.
- Creator Breakdown: In-universe. The loss of his parents (especially his mother), the news that a beloved reverend was publicly assassinated for encouraging tribal/racial co-existence, his disgust/disillusionment with the music/movie industries, and being under the hoof of an exploitative and controlling record manager eventually led to him hitting an all-time low, birthing the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise". Not to mention, a heated argument led to him snapping from the tremendous grief and emotional stress he was under and giving his manager a vicious No-Holds-Barred Beatdown that he quickly and severely regretted. He would have went through with his decision to quit performing music and disappear from the limelight forever, had he not met Luminiferous, who cheered him up and set him on the path to godhood. It's later revealed that Bossa Nova, Blue's older twin brother, was responsible for this happening as he was trying to help Blue recover from his parents' deaths, but accidentally ended up subjecting his brother to a spectacular Trauma Conga Line in the long run.
- Deity of Human Origin: He was a mortal unicorn and one of the most famous celebrities of the Second Age, until he met Luminiferous, after which he quit his job as a career musician and went globe-trotting to perform on his own terms. The list of his good deeds grew until it warranted his Ascension into an Alicorn god of Music and Humility. It's later revealed that the meddling of his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, made Blue's Ascension possible as Bossa Nova was subtly directing things in a well-meaning attempt to help Blue recover from his parents' deaths. When that led to disaster instead, he tried to make up for his mistake by directing Luminiferous to his brother
- Delinquent Hair: Subverted. He's known for sporting a pompadour while in his guise as a mortal unicorn stallion, but he's a very humble and kind-hearted person. His worst traits are only his flirting habits, his Big Eater tendencies (though he cut down on that significantly), and being far too humble to appreciate even his own achievements at times.
- Despair Event Horizon: After going through a Trauma Conga Line of losing his parents, hearing that a beloved reverened was publicly assassinated for encouraging tribal/racial co-existence, having his music "cheapened" for the sake of profits, and becoming disgusted and disillusioned with the corruption, hubris, and excesses of the music/movie industries in general, Blue would hit an all-time low by the time he recorded the song, "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" when, after getting into a heated argument with his record manager, he would snap from the grief and emotional stress he was under at the time and gave his manager a brutal No-Holds-Barred Beatdown for exploiting and controlling him for years, something that he quickly regretted. He had planned to quit performing music and disappear from the limelight forever, but fortunately for him (and the rest of the world), he would encounter an incognito Luminiferous, who roused Blue out of his despair by giving him a pep-talk. This sent him on the path that eventually led to him Ascending to godhood.
- Divine Parentage:
- It's rumored in-universe that unicorn lyrist Lyra Heartstrings, who lives in Ponyville, is a mortal descendant through one of his deceased lovers, which would make her an extremely diluted example of this trope. Blue has supported Lyra's musical career, and was even seen in Ponyville blessing her relationship (and later marriage) with sweetheart Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops. To say that Lyra had been surprised when she discovered the rumors were actually true would be an understatement.Lyra Heartstrings: I'M RELATED TO THE KING OF MUSIC?!!
Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops: Wow, that sure explains a lot.
- It's also rumored that Flash Sentry, a pegasus Royal Guard and a friend of Princess Twilight/Amicitia Sparkle, is related to him either as an ancestor or a relative, due to possessing similar body and hair colors.
- It's also rumored that former Sunnytowner, Roneo (and by extension, his older brother, Gladstone) is another mortal demi-divine descendant due to possessing both a talent in song-writing and similar color schemes.
- In a roundabout way, he's speculated to be a demi-divine son of Amareros, the Love Primeval, who eventually Ascended to true godhood. This might explain why one of his divine domains is Love.
- It's rumored in-universe that unicorn lyrist Lyra Heartstrings, who lives in Ponyville, is a mortal descendant through one of his deceased lovers, which would make her an extremely diluted example of this trope. Blue has supported Lyra's musical career, and was even seen in Ponyville blessing her relationship (and later marriage) with sweetheart Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops. To say that Lyra had been surprised when she discovered the rumors were actually true would be an understatement.
- The Dog Bites Back: After years of being exploited, manipulated, and even blackmailed by his former record manager on top of enduring a particularly brutal and tragic Trauma Conga Line, he ends up snapping during a heated argument and beats up his manager in a rage. It's deconstructed in that once he finally calms down, Blue is horrified by what he had done and quickly flees the scene. By the time he's found by his coltfriend/husband, Record Beat, he's at home crying and fervently praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Inverted. Much like Elvis Presley, the person he was based on, he hated being called "the King" because, due to his religious upbringing, he believes that there's a higher power (speculated to be the god Equus) who's far more deserving of being called "the King". He also hated being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" because he doesn't see himself as an "inventor" of the Rock and Roll genre as many people believe; he just merely took inspiration from Earth pony music and created his own style. In fact, he believes there are many Earth pony musicians who (in his mind) could sing better than him, such as Black Domino, whom he idolized.
- Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud: Averted. He was just one-year-old when a group of Category 5 tornadoes devastated his hometown in southern Ponyland, an incident that he and his family narrowly survived. This was based on a real-life tornado outbreak that affected Tulepo, Mississippi in 1936, which occurred when Elvis Presley was just one-year-old.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You: A variant. As he starts losing his patience with the Griffon Autorists who kept spouting their racist beliefs while refusing to accept his requests to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone, Blue warns, "Don't force me to take drastic action against you." It's when said Autorists decide to kill him first that he snaps and heralds his true Alicorn form by screaming at them to "GET OUT!!!"
- Earthquake Machine: He can use his sonokinetic magic to induce violent earthquakes by sending powerful soundwaves through the ground.
- Elvis Lives: A prominent example. Being based on Elvis Presley, Blue's life has been more or less an exact parallel to Elvis' up until he recorded the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise", at which point he considered quitting performing music altogether due to both the deaths of his parents (especially his beloved mother) and his general disillusionment with the music/movie industry. Luminiferous found him while he was despairing, and the encounter led to Blue quitting his job and performing on his own terms, leading to not only his survival, but his Ascension to godhood.
- Embarrassing Nickname: While being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" is normally a pretty awesome feat, he hated it even before Ascending because, due to being devoutly religious, he believes in a higher power that deserves the title as "the King" far more than he does. Blue also doesn't see himself as the "inventor" of Rock and Roll as many people assume, and believes the title of "the King of Rock and Roll" should go to people like Black Domino, whom Blue idolizes and sees as the superior singer/performer.
- Emotion Bomb: He can "emotion-bomb" people by psychically forcing them to feel the suffering they have caused with their arrogance, but he only does it if his targets need a little more convincing to change their ways. He doesn't want to hurt people like that and sees "emotion-bombing" as far from the only option to redeem prideful individuals.
- The Empath: Becoming the Alicorn god of Humility gave him psychic empathy. His entry notes that he can produce an empathic aura that ebbs prideful feelings, which makes him a relaxing presence to beings like Stoltur, who embodies the bad aspects of Pride. He can "emotion-bomb" people by psychically forcing them to feel the suffering they have caused with their arrogance, but he only does the latter when his targets need a little more convincing to change their ways, as he generally hates hurting people like that and sees it as far from the only option.
- His psychic empathy is what allowed him to detect Three Leaf's emotional suffering while visiting his descendant, Lyra Heartstrings, in Ponyville. It led to his realization that Three Leaf, despite breaking free from Pakak's curse and receiving all attempts to help her, was still suffering from a deeply abusive friendship with Grey Hoof. After agreeing to Ruby Heart's request to help Three Leaf, he would use his domain of Philia Love to magically sever Three Leaf's friendship "rope", freeing her from Grey Hoof at long last.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Implied; if his past relationships were of any indication, Blue was so handsome that he managed to attract both mares and stallions, with his first coltfriend/husband being Record Beat, a unicorn stallion and DJ who had a crush on him for a while prior to getting together. However, he was completely faithful and loving to all of his partners, and never forgot their faces and names long after they died. One of his affairs eventually led to the birth of Lyra Heartstrings, a mortal demi-divine Fourth Age descendant. Canteros also hints that Blue and his friend, Prince Stoltur, might become lovers in the future because of their closeness and compatibility as friends.
F - I
- Family Theme Naming:
- Both he and his mortal demi-divine descendant, Lyra Heartstrings, are named after things related to music. In his case, he's named after the song "Blue Suede Shoes", which was performed by Elvis Presley, his character inspiration. Meanwhile, Lyra Heartstrings is named after a musical instrument, which in her case is a lyre.
- He and his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, also share this. Both of them are named after songs made by Elvis Presley, with him being named after "Blue Suede Shoes" while Bossa Nova is named after "Bossa Nova Baby". They're also named after musical genres, with Blue being named after the Blues genre while Bossa Nova is named after the Brazilian genre Bossa Nova, a combination of samba and jazz.
- Famous Ancestor: He's the ancestor in question. The few loving and faithful relationships he had with both mares and stallions post-Ascension has resulted in the birth of quite a few mortal demi-divine descendants in the Fourth Age. Lyra Heartstrings is one, though it's rumored in-universe that Flash Sentry, Roneo, and Gladstone are also related to him.
- Fantastic Racism: Defied and averted. Having grown up in southern Ponyland in the early Second Age during a time when tribalism was accepted and heavily encouraged, Blue would be exposed to a lot of it. But thanks to the moral compass his religious yet loving parents installed in him, he developed humility early in life, which influenced him to respect and befriend Ponies from all tribes, including his own. Once the Second Age ended, he would extend his hoof to non-Equine sapient races as well, earning himself more friends and allies. His interracial friendliness, however, would frequently make him a target of tribalists, Autorists, and other supremacy groups throughout Known History, with several of such individuals either attempting to sully his reputation with false claims about his character, or physically attacking him both on- and off-stage. Another major factor is the brutal lynching of a teenage Earth pony colt named Garden Spade; the fact that the killers committed a crime based on a unicorn mare's false testimony and were let go by the judges, with many others turning a blind eye, infuriated Blue to the point where he delivered a scathing public "The Reason You Suck" Speech towards everyone involved. Because of his experiences, he sees tribalist/racist behavior in general as stupid and childish, getting very upset if he sees it being displayed, and became a staunch opponent of those who pursue such harmful beliefs. This caught the attention of King Ibrida, the Draconequus god of Hybrids who went through discrimination just for existing in his mortal life, and adores Blue for opposing bigots as much as he is.
- He's one to Prince Written Word, Golden Scepter's thirteenth son.
- Blue was born a mortal unicorn whose family was very poor; he was initially the younger of identical twins, but tragically his older brother came out stillborn, leaving him an only child. Written Word was born a demi-divine Prince of the Terran Empire, and has many older/younger brothers who all Ascended to demi-Alicornhood at some point in their lives.
- Both rose to greatness because of religion and were heavily influenced by it, though they had different experiences. Written Word became a priest because he believed that mortals could only prosper under the guidance of benevolent deities like his father, Golden Scepter, and quickly became popular because of his compassion and his willingness to listen. However, he was forced to hide his religious activities due to public worship of his family being officially banned in the Terran Empire. Blue was influenced to become humble and kind early in life because of a religious yet equally kind upbringing, which had a huge impact in how he behaved in adulthood and contributed to his reputation as a popular and kind-hearted celebrity who loved interacting with his fans. In contrast to Written Word, his humility and religious beliefs are very well-known by the public, given how he hates being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]".
- They reacted to the death of their mothers/parents in different ways. Written Word grew to resent how Golden Scepter supposedly never "helped" his mother, Blessed Skies, avert death by Ascending her to godhood, and this combined with other incidents and tragedies caused him to verbally lash out at his father in a heated argument. Blue, however, reacted inwardly, becoming rather depressed and developing self-destructive habits during his slow emotional decline, such as turning his Big Eater habits into stress-eating. He does recover, though, and has turned to more positive methods in dealing with his grief such as hanging around kids and talking to others who also lost beloved family members.
- Their turning points came from their interactions with ancient Alicorns. After accidentally blurting out his secret priestly activities during the aforementioned heated argument, Written Word would be taken aside by Golden Scepter, who explained to him what he was really doing and telepathically showed his son his own horrific memories of religion, leaving Written Word rather shaken. His soul-searching would land him in a backwater Pony kingdom that was gripped by a corrupt religion headed by demons, which caused Written Word to realize the value of true faith when he confronted and killed said demons with a makeshift army. Blue, on the other hand, would hit an all-time low after losing his parents and seeing the music/movie industries become afflicted with hubris, corruption, and excess, and initially planned to quit performing music and disappear forever after recording the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise". Fortunately, he would meet an incognito Luminiferous, who gave him a "pep-talk" that not only cheered him up, it also motivated Blue to quit his job and travel the world to perform on his own terms.
- Both reacted to their Ascension in different ways. Written Word's Ascension was seen by his family, especially Golden Scepter, as a sign that he finally matured and understood the pitfalls of religion, and Written Word took his new Alicorn form as a badge of pride. Blue, however, saw his Ascension as a huge irony due to being devoutly religious, and usually appears in various mortal forms because he didn't want to be treated differently from everyone else for being a god.
- Their current views on religion also differ. While Written Word initially embraced it wholeheartedly as a way to help his subjects and answer personal questions, his discovery of the horrific, cruel, and depraved side of religion caused him to disown it in disgust and leave the priesthood after Ascending. He instead promotes the concept of "true" Faith, believing that if there is something mortal sapientkind should believe in, it is themselves and each other. In contrast, Blue remained devoutly religious even after Ascending, and clearly sees it as a positive influence on his life. He also believes in a "higher power" whom he calls "the King in Heaven", likely referring to the ancient god Equus, and continued worshiping him despite becoming a higher power himself.
- Their attires also reflect their backgrounds and beliefs. Written Word's entry notes that even pre-Ascension, he looked like an angel, and as a Terran Prince, he wears black robes and bronze regalia/armor, as well as a golden circlet on his head. Blue usually wears a black leather jacket and a pair of sunglasses when appearing as a mortal unicorn, which makes him look like a delinquent Greaser, but also reflects his humility and desire to be treated the same as everyone else.
- He's also one to Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, one of Pokhot's many divine sons, who would become a close friend of his despite being as different as night and day, or perhaps because of it.
- Stoltur was born to a Deer goddess of Evil and an incredibly depraved mortal Cervidian Deer warlord, making him demi-divine, with many brothers and sisters that his mother, Pokhot, had sired from previous affairs. And due to Pokhot being an "Empress" of her own hell-fief, he is a Prince by birthright. By contrast, Blue was born to mortal parents and initially lived in poverty; he was also initially the younger of identical twins, but his older brother came out stillborn, leaving him an only child.
- Both lost a parent at different ages, and reacted differently to it. Stoltur's father died when he was still a baby, and when he learned of his father's depravities and crimes later on, he was so disgusted that he swore never to become like him in any way, even seeing his father as an example of "careless/destructive" Evil. Blue lost his parents when he was an adult, especially his mother, who died from a terminal illness while he was away fighting in the Second Great War. He was so devastated that he fell into a slow emotional decline, developing self-destructive habits such as stress-eating, until a meeting with an incognito Luminiferous cheered him up.
- As the god of Pride, Stoltur is an extremely vain and cruel individual who acts disdainfully towards anything and anyone who don't fit his standards, and encourages pride in mortals to dangerous extremes so he could weed out the wicked. He also sadistically demeans the damned shades in his mother's hell-fief by elevating them to higher status, then throwing them away once they're no longer of use to him. As a result, he is rightly feared by the mortal Erobreseg Deer Herds. Blue, by contrast, is the god of Humility, and works to decrease pride in mortals as well as teach them the consequences of unchecked pride so he could redeem them. He can also radiate an empathic aura that ebbs prideful feelings, making him a relaxing presence for beings like Stoltur. Appropriately, he is very humble, friendly, and compassionate, which made him a massively popular and beloved celebrity even before his Ascension.
- They both have precognitive abilities, but Stoltur can see the future potential of individuals, both good and bad, which he uses to lure wicked people to their doom by encouraging them to take "shortcuts" to greatness. Blue can see if a person's future is good or bad depending on the actions they take in the present, which allows him to warn people of the consequences of letting their own pride go unchecked.
- As a Prince of his mother's hell-fief, Stoltur wears royal white, silver, and dark blue regalia similar to the fashions of Cervidia, such as thick clothes, cloaks and pelts, and wears an ornate circlet on his head. Blue appears in various mortal forms and often wears a black leather jacket with a pair of sunglasses when appearing as a mortal unicorn stallion. His entry notes that many deities have tried making him dress appropriately according to his divine station, but he always refuses due to his humility.
- Stoltur is a staunch vegetarian due to his oaths of never becoming like his birth father, and refuses to eat meat despite attempts by his mother and siblings to convince him otherwise. Blue was a Big Eater when he was a mortal and was infamous for it in the Second Age, until the deaths of his parents caused his eating habits to turn into something self-destructive. He would cut down on his eating habits significantly after having a food-fueled nightmare about becoming grossly fat in his old age.
- He's also a foil to Hrůza, the Draconequus goddess of Mass Hysteria and Fear, and another musically-inclined deity.
- Blue was born a mortal, and was raised by mortal parents who genuinely loved and cared for him despite losing one of their sons to stillbirth and living in poverty. This influenced him to become humble and compassionate, especially after his parents introduced him to religious worship, which went a long way in allowing him to Ascend to godhood later in life. Hrůza was born a full-blooded divine to Ispita and Discord, who are both Fallen Deities (until Discord's HeelFace Turn) and horrifically Abusive Parents whose parenting methods led to their children becoming either genuinely malicious or psychologically damaged from the abuse. In Hrůza's case, her lack of true reality-warping powers left her The Unfavorite in her family, which created an envy towards her more powerful siblings and a desperation to earn her parents' approval.
- Personality-wise, Blue is very polite, humble, devoutly religious, and friendly to almost everyone he meets despite being a musical legend. He also genuinely loves interacting with his fans, and believes that it's the music that provides the backbone of any concert, not the other way around, as the quality of music is a deciding factor in whether a concert fails or not. Hrůza is an Evil Diva, being hammy and over-the-top, but she's also an Attention Whore who constantly tries to make herself the center of attention, as well as a sadist who loves trapping mortals in their own worst fears and using their screams as part of her music.
- Blue, as the Alicorn god of Music, embodies the positive aspects of music itself and thus has powers such as musical healing and empowerment. Hrůza embodies the negative aspects of music and uses it to inspire and stoke emotions of fear, panic, and paranoia in her victims.
- Blue, as a "prodigy" deity, is incredibly powerful compared to other deities who are in his "age" group, and because he embodies seemingly different concepts that are all related to his background and personality, he has a wider range of abilities to use, such as music/sound, psychic powers, shapeshifting, and love. Hrůza, on the other hand, embodies Mass Hysteria and Fear, which makes her skilled in utilizing Fear as a weapon, but that's it. This combined with her lack of reality-warping powers left her feeling envious towards her more powerful older/younger siblings, and desperately hungry for her parents' approval.
- He's one to Prince Written Word, Golden Scepter's thirteenth son.
- Forced Sleep: As the god of Music, one of the things he can do with his singing voice is lull his listeners to sleep.
- For Want of a Nail:
- If Luminiferous had not found him in time, Blue would have succeeded in quitting music altogether and (presumably) become a recluse out of depression and grief. His entry notes that meeting Luminiferous "changed the course of history", as the pep-talk he received and the epiphany he had influenced Blue to continue performing on his own terms after quitting his job as a career musician. Eventually, he would end up Ascending to godhood after traveling the world and amassing a list of good deeds.
- Instead of eating to the point of becoming fat like Elvis did, Blue would have a food-fueled nightmare that showed him what he could potentially become in his old age if he didn't take control of himself. This resulted in him cutting down his eating habits significantly and retaining the handsomeness that Elvis had in his prime.
- In-universe, he admits that while he was mad at Bossa Nova for manipulating his life, he acknowledges that had his older brother not interfered at all, he still would've been stuck under the hoof of his exploitative record manager, "The Colonel", unable to get out even if he wanted to. Bossa Nova was both horrified and livid when he learned of this.
- Freudian Excuse:
- It's believed in-universe that the infamously huge appetite he once had as a mortal came from growing up poor and not being able to afford a lot of foods that wealthier people took for granted, such as bacon. However, it's deconstructed in that regardless of his reasons, Blue's eating habits were still rather unhealthy, especially after his parents died, which influenced him to stress-eat. He would have gotten fat later on like Elvis did had he not had a food-fueled nightmare about it, which motivated him to cut down on his eating significantly.
- It's also believed in-universe that his fondness for children stemmed from losing his older identical twin brother, Bossa Nova, to stillbirth, as he had been seen talking with those who also lost beloved family members, such as Prince Written Word, who lost his mortal pegasus mother to old age despite the Terran Empire's life-extending technologies. The ironic twist is that despite his premature death, Bossa Nova still continued to "live" and even managed to Ascend to godhood himself via performing lots of good deeds.
- It's mentioned that part of why he's so humble is because Blue witnessed many people within the Second Age's music/movie industries, including his friends/associates, fall to corruption and hubris. He feared becoming like them, so he swore never to let himself fall into the same sins, which resulted in him often giving himself too little credit for things he had accomplished, even when it's rightly deserved. It's because of this that to this day, Blue's friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, has been encouraging him to have a little pride in himself and to accept pride as an empowering force, since too little pride is as bad as too much.
- Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse: Even though his Big Eater habits stemmed from living in poverty as a colt, they're still rather unhealthy, and they became even more so after losing his parents, sending him into a slow emotional decline that turned his eating habits into stress-eating. What saved him from becoming grossly fat later on was a food-fueled nightmare that he had one night, which motivated him to cut down on his eating habits significantly.
- Friend to All Children: His entry notes that he's very fond of children, and has been known to act as an older brother figure for them; one of them in particular was an orphaned pegasus filly who lived in the Sandwich Islands with her older sister and "Stitch", a rehabilitated Maretian weapons experiment. It's believed in-universe that his fondness for children came from losing his older identical twin brother to stillbirth... which turns out to be ironically not true, as said twin brother, Bossa Nova, is still around serving as a psychopomp-turned-Death god. In the Fourth Age, he befriended the Dazzling Divas and aided them in their fight against Ivory Towers and her demonic forces; out of them all, he formed a particularly close bond with Miracle Hymn, the youngest Diva, and essentially became a foster father for her after her parents were murdered by one of Ivory Towers' demons, something that he greatly sympathizes with Miracle Hymn for. And when unicorn tribalists from the Children of Platinum faction attacked the School of Friendship, he angrily admonished the tribalists for spouting tribalism in front of the terrified young students, even covering one of the students' ears while doing so.
- Genre Roulette: In-universe; his entry notes that while he popularized the Rock and Roll genre in the Second Age, he constantly experimented with different genres, leading to him producing a large body of work inspired by (in his words) jazz, pop, gospel, country, modern rock, and a bit of Oceanic music. This would make him a very good friend of fellow Second-Age musician Melody, who had done similar things during her career. And after befriending Octavia Melody, he would work with her to create an epic "classical rock" fusion, leading to songs like this one.
- Gentle Giant: His true form is a tall and handsome Alicorn god, only being dwarfed by older Alicorns such as Luminiferous and Golden Scepter, the oldest members of the Church of the Stars. He's also a very humble and kind-hearted stallion who is devoutly religious and loves his fans. Provoking his wrath is ill-advised.
- Get Out!: He says this twice during a heated confrontation with Griffon Autorists. As they kept refusing his requests to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone and spouted their racist beliefs, Blue starts losing his patience and utters, "...I think you misunderstood me. Get out. NOW." However, when the Griffon Autorists start readying their weapons with intent to make him their first victim, Blue snaps and this time screams for them to get out, revealing his true Alicorn form in the process.
- God Couple: Canteros believes that he and his friend, Prince Stoltur, might become lovers in the future due to their compatibility and closeness as friends, despite Stoltur's inner Evil and vain nature.
- A God I Am Not: Justified. As a colt, he and his parents were regular churchgoers despite their constant poverty, and it was religion that influenced him to become humble and compassionate later in life. He refused to be called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" because he believed that both a higher power (speculated to be the god Equus) and certain talented individuals, such as Black Domino, were far more deserving of his titles. And when he Ascended to godhood, he saw it as a huge irony as he is now part of the higher power he always revered, and chose to appear as a mortal and intermingle with his mortal fans because he didn't want to be treated any differently for being divine - even refusing a spot in the Church of the Stars' pantheon despite being more than qualified for it. Many gods and goddesses have attempted to make him act, look, and dress accordingly to his divine station upon discovering what he actually is, but his humility means he always refuses them. The other reason behind his refusal is that he doesn't want to wear royal regalia that turn out to be uncomfortable and itchy.
- God in Human Form: Justified; he often appears as a mortal from various races because he's quite humble, and doesn't want to be treated any differently than he does his friends/fans. And as the Alicorn god of Performance, he's quite capable of changing his appearance, voice, and masking his own Primordial Quintessence, allowing him to pull this off easily. Many gods and goddesses have tried getting Blue to look, dress, and act accordingly to his divine station upon learning what his true form is, but Blue's humility means that he always refuses them. The other reason behind his refusal is that he doesn't want to wear royal regalia that turn out to be uncomfortable and itchy.
- God Is Flawed: As part of his Hidden Depths, he genuinely believes that all deities are flawed, as he had witnessed even the "kindest" gods and goddesses (in his words) put themselves on a pedestal and act like they know better than others because of their power and divinity. Given his humble nature, this includes himself - despite his humility and kindness, he tends to take the deaths of those close to him really hard, and it's implied that he is actually more emotional and hotheaded than is suggested by his calm and mellow demeanor, as when he's really pissed off, he shows a fiery sort of anger in contrast to the Tranquil Fury he usually displays. However, he also believes that even deities have the power to improve themselves and stay good no matter what, even if they were born "good" or "bad". This is why he continues worshiping the "King in Heaven" despite knowing his god is likely flawed, too, because if someone like the King can try to stay good despite his flaws, then that means he and others can do the same thing.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: He has dual-colored wings, his feathers bearing a magical gradient that goes from yellow-orange to dark blue. Due to the nature of how divines grow in Equus, especially Alicorns, his possession of a wing gradient is a sign of his age and incredible power.
- Gosh Darn It to Heck!: Justified. As a devoutly religious stallion who worships a higher power he calls "the King in Heaven" (implied to be the ancient god Equus), he doesn't swear explicitly because he finds it distasteful and offensive in the King's eyes. Even when he's clearly angry, he doesn't cut loose.
- Greaser Delinquents: Subverted. Being based on Elvis Presley, he is an Alicorn god of Music who usually appears as a mortal, with his most preferred form being a unicorn stallion who bears the trademark pompadour, black leather jacket, and sunglasses. His entry notes that his appearance and popularity played a direct role in birthing the Second-Age Greaser movement, and after the Second Age itself ended, his reputation endured long enough that he inspired another movement in the Fourth Age. However, he has sometimes appeared in flashy outfits during concerts, and personality-wise, he's very humble, kindhearted, and friendly to almost everyone he meets. Ironically, he's also devoutly religious even after Ascending to godhood, and worships a deity that is believed by many in-universe to be the ancient god Equus, whom he calls "The King in Heaven". Many gods and goddesses have tried making him dress appropriately according to his divine station after discovering his true form, but being so humble, he always refuses to comply. The other reason behind his refusal is that he doesn't want to wear royal regalia that turn out to be uncomfortable and itchy.
- Healing Hands: He can heal others with music... provided the people being healed can hear him. Thankfully, he's quite creative in getting his music across, such as stomping the ground (or any surface) in rhythmic patterns. This allows deaf and/or hearing-impaired individuals to "feel" his music and allow his magic to still take effect. Notably, he revitalized and healed a completely exhausted Miracle Hymn, allowing the Dazzling Divas to launch their desperate plan to defeat Elephant witch Ivory Towers, though his identity wouldn't be revealed to all until much later, when the Dazzling Divas experienced their Darkest Hour after Ivory Towers gained a power boost from becoming a Cleric for Avarita, the Tyrannos god of Greed.
- The Heart: A large factor in why he became such a popular celebrity in the Second Age is because of his humility and compassion towards everyone, especially his fans. It was even joked in-universe during that time that he was so famous, he could potentially end squabbles and conflicts just by showing up. True to form, after Ascending to godhood, he would work on resolving the boiling tensions left behind by crises of the Second Age, and would continue doing so well into the Fourth Age.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: While disguised as a mortal unicorn stallion, he usually wears a black leather jacket with a pair of black sunglasses.
- Hero Worship:
- He idolized Black Domino, known as "Fats Domino" on-stage, for being one of the first pioneers of Rock and Roll and (in Blue's mind) a far better singer and performer. It got to the point where Blue refused to be called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" because if there's any musician who's far more deserving of the title, it's Black Domino.
- In a roundabout way, he ended up being idolized particularly by an orphaned pegasus filly and a rehabilitated Maretian weapons experiment that she called "Stitch". The pegasus filly and her alien friend, who were both raised by the former's older sister in the Sandwich Islands, were huge fans of Blue and cited him as their role model in looks and personality. In turn, Blue donated large sums of his own money to support the small family purely out of goodwill.
- Hidden Depths: A Codexverse drabble reveals that he knew all along that the "King in Heaven" he worshiped (likely the god Equus) is likely as flawed as mortal/divine sapientkind, yet still continues to worship him anyway. When Prince Written Word asks him why he continues to have faith in a flawed god, he replies with this answer:Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...My parents were good folks. Even if we hadn't a single penny to our names, they still wanted to see me raised right. And it's 'cause of them that I got introduced to the King. They taught me that the King in Heaven is a humble and caring god, who created all of us out of love. By following His example, even through the bad times, folks like you and me can become as great as He is.
I know we ain't perfect... none of us are. Even the higher powers themselves got an ugly side. I've seen even the kindest of 'em stand on a pillar and act like they know better than others, as if their power and long life makes 'em natural leaders or somethin'. And I admit, seeing them act that way made me wonder if the King in Heaven acts like it, too, sometimes... but then I realized that's just how the world is. Some folks are born good while other folks are born bad. Sometimes in-between.
However, that don't mean we can't better ourselves. The King in Heaven might be flawed, yes, but it's likely that He always tries to be good, no matter what. And if He can try, then we can try, too. That's why I still follow Him. I might not always be humble, but the King gives me hope that I can still stay true to myself even when I am tempted.
- Hope Bringer: While it's debated in-universe on what he did during the "Void Aeon" event, many believe that he continued performing to inspire hope among mortal sapientkind, and protected the innocent (especially his fans) from the various monsters that sprung up during the conflict. As the god of Music, he even has this trope as a power, as he can play music to inspire joy and hope in his listeners. It also has the effect of dispelling the effects of spells that operate through fear and hatred.
- Hot-Blooded: Despite his humility and his laidback and mellow temperament, it's implied that he's more emotional and hot-tempered than is believed, as he has been known to become openly angry and upset when confronted by something he truly hates. By contrast, his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, is normally easy to anger but falls into an extremely cold rage when he's really pissed off.
- Humble Hero: Justified. Much like Elvis, Blue had a devoutly religious upbringing, and his humility became one of his defining traits. He hated being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" because he thought there were certain individuals who more than deserved his titles, and after Ascending to godhood, he preferred to appear as a mortal because he didn't wanted to be treated differently for it. Appropriately, one of his divine domains is Humility, which he uses to help redeem prideful individuals. It also led to him becoming friends with Fluttershy Posey of the Mane Six, being legendary individuals who are humble despite their great powers and positions. However, Blue's humility is also one of his biggest weaknesses - because of his experiences with arrogantly abusive celebrities/managers in the Second Age, Blue often gives himself too little credit even when it's well-deserved. To this day, Blue's friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, the Deer god of Evil and Pride, has been encouraging him to have a little more pride in himself, as having too little pride is as bad as having too much. Many benevolent deities, including Queen Dazzleglow, are interested in Blue because of his humility, which they believe might help Equus break free of the malicious/complacent arrogance that is keeping it vulnerable to various disasters and cycles.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Due to being identical twin brothers, he and Bossa Nova look almost exactly the same in both their mortal and divine forms, save for a few differences - he has a dark blue mane and tail, and his Cutie Mark depicts a red, heart-shaped guitar. His true form as an Alicorn god has wings with a dark blue gradient, and his hair is made of dark blue energy soundwaves with light blue musical bars and notes running through them. His Cutie Mark has the same halo of notes as Bossa Nova's does, except the guitar part of his Cutie Mark is flanked with white wings instead of black.
- Immortality Begins at 20: Subverted. After Ascending to Alicornhood in the early Second Age, he became immortal and remained forever in his prime as an incredibly handsome stallion. However, as deities only get Stronger with Age in the Codexverse, he would continue "growing" and become more eldritch, which Mzazi states is normal for Alicorns. As such, his wings gained a magical gradient that goes from bright yellow-orange to dark blue, and due to being a "prodigy" deity, he's already showing signs of growing a second pair of wings despite not reaching the divine rank of "Titan" yet.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: Implied. Upon discovering he's an Alicorn god in a mortal guise, many gods and goddesses have tried making him wear regal-looking clothes/regalia instead of his favorite leather jacket, so he could look more dignified for his divine station. Unfortunately, the clothes/regalia he is forced to wear often turn out to be uncomfortable and itchy. This is partially why he refuses to wear anything his fellow deities suggest, besides his humble nature. Amina, the Griffon Goddess of Selfless Love, sympathizes with him over this because she's often subjected to the same thing.
- Instrument of Murder: His primary weapon is a heart-shaped magitech guitar, built to replace the electric guitars of the Second Age as magic was restored at the end of the "Void Aeon" conflict. He channels most of his magic, especially his Music-related magic, through it, which can provide a disadvantage should he lose it somehow. In physical combat, he can use it as a blunt-force weapon.
- Intergenerational Friendship: His friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, is a "Tier II"-ranked Deer god of Evil and Pride who was born in Cervidia during the Fourth Age, and thus is much younger than him.
- Interspecies Friendship: He is an Alicorn god of Music and Humility, born in southern Ponyland during the early parts of the Second Age. His friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, is a Deer god of Evil and Pride who was born in the cold realm of Cervidia. He also befriended Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love, at some point during his travels.
- Interspecies Romance: He's not there yet, but Canteros believes that he and Prince Stoltur might become a couple in the future, due to their compatibility and closeness as friends.
- In-universe, he notes the sheer irony of himself, a devoutly religious stallion, Ascending to godhood and becoming part of the "higher power" he revered since foalhood.
- Hilariously, after recording the song, "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" during a dark period in his life, he would end up meeting two "devil(s) in disguise", Luminiferous and Prince Stoltur Skjöldur. The former played a role in him eventually Ascending to godhood, while the latter would become one of his best friends in the Fourth Age.
- Another hilarious irony is that his meeting with Luminiferous during a low point in his life was not brought about by the "King in Heaven" he prayed to and worshiped... but by his older twin brother, Bossa Nova, who was an ordinary psychopomp at the time and had directed Luminiferous to Blue to make up for accidentally subjecting his brother to a brutal Trauma Conga Line. Blue himself admits that he was mad at Bossa Nova for this, but nevertheless forgave him as his older brother truly meant well and did apologize for it, and acknowledged that he still would've been under the hoof of an exploitative and controlling record manager if Bossa Nova didn't interfere with his life.
J - O
- Jerkass Gods: Averted. One in-universe backstory theory depicted him as this, ala Galactus. According to that backstory, he was once an apathetic and selfish god who constantly ate populated worlds, so he was transformed/reincarnated into an amnesiac mortal and forced to live on Equus as punishment. He gradually Took a Level in Kindness after coming into frequent contact with a single Pony mother and her young son, causing him to appreciate his fellow mortals, and ultimately chose to stay on Equus even after his memories were restored. The reality is that Blue is very humble and compassionate, and only appears in his true form as an Alicorn god when it's absolutely necessary.
- Karma Houdini: Justified. The Elternteil Deer Pantheon wanted to punish him for the crime of "stealing" away their mortal Alvslog subjects in the guise of a mortal Deer stag, when he was only convincing them to abandon their prideful, racist, reactionary, and self-righteous ways while still keeping their love for nature. Belyolen would point out to Irminsul that harming Blue, especially over a baseless reason, would attract the ire of not only Temnobog's family - as Prince Stoltur, one of Temnobog's many grandsons, is friends with Blue - but also Golden Scepter, who will fly into a protective fury if something were to happen to the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon. The Elternteil Deer Pantheon got the message and backed off immediately.
- Karmic Jackpot:
- Blue continued staying humble, despite his fame and reputation as one of the most famous and recognizable celebrity icons of the Second Age, and refused to let himself fall into the same hubris and corruption that affected his friends and associates. After meeting Luminiferous and quitting his job as a career musician to perform on his own terms, Blue accumulated a lot of good deeds that allowed him to Ascend as the Alicorn god of Humility. As a result, many benevolent deities, including Queen Dazzleglow herself, are interested in him because of the damaging effects unchecked Pride can inflict on sapientkind.
- Blue genuinely loved interacting with his fans and always made time for them after his concerts, whether to sign autographs or to just talk with them. He was even willing to protect his fans from those who want to harm them, such as tribalists. This is largely why his popularity and reputation as a celebrity were both able to last long after the Second Age ended.
- Even in the Second Age, Blue both respected and befriended Ponies from all tribes, and he would extend his hoof to non-Equine sapient races after the Second Age Ended. He is also a very staunch opponent of tribalism/racism, having personally witnessed the horrors of such behavior up close and being a frequent target of tribalists/Autorists himself, to the point where it became one of few things that clearly angers and upsets him. This would earn Blue the attention and adoration of King Ibrida, the god of Hybrids, who also experienced racism throughout his life for being born a hybrid and approves of Blue's stance against racism and bigotry.
- Blue befriended Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, the Bogolenya Deer god of Evil and Pride, despite the latter's inner evil and vain nature, and they would work together in promoting Humility via damning/redeeming prideful individuals. This would later save Blue when he got in trouble with the Elternteil Deer Pantheon for supposedly "stealing" some of their Alvslog Deer subjects away, when he was only convincing them to abandon their pride, racism, and self-righteousness; Belyolen pointed out to Irminsul that if Blue were to be harmed in any way, then the Elternteil Deer Pantheon would have to face the wrath of everyone connected to the Alicorn god of Music, from Stoltur himself up to Golden Scepter, who once terrified Irminsul into avoiding the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon completely for spouting racist remarks about its non-Deer/hybrid residents.
- Kids Are Cruel: He was subjected to some bullying as a colt for being a Momma's Boy.
- King Incognito: Because Blue is an Alicorn, he is technically royalty and would be rightly regarded as such by mortal sapientkind if they saw his true form. He's also a "King", though on a figurative level as his title as "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" indicates his extreme mastery over music. But because he's so humble, he often appears in various mortal forms instead. Many gods and goddesses have tried convincing Blue to look, dress, and act accordingly to his divine station after discovering he is an Alicorn in disguise, but he always refuses since he doesn't want to be treated differently from anyone else.
- Like Father, Like Son: He took up music as his future and became one of the most famous celebrity musicians in the Second Age, even Ascending to godhood later on (though that came about after meeting Luminiferous and quitting his job as a career musician). Two Ages later, one of his mortal descendants, Lyra Heartstrings would take up music as a lyrist. And to Lyra's shock, the rumors about her being related to "the King of Music" are actually true.
- Love Goddess: Gender-inverted. One of his divine domains is Love, but in his case he embodies Philia Love, known as the love shared between friends. He can see the friendships shared between sapient creatures as magical rope that become increasingly frayed if the friendship(s) in question is damaged, allowing him to seek out those with troubled friendships so he can mend them. He also has the ability to magically sever the ropes of friendship, but only uses it in dire situations such as freeing those who had been magically coerced into subservience by evil individuals, and helping people get out of abusive friendships that they can't by themselves. His entry notes that while his actions have led to friends becoming lovers, he has stated that friendship is a crucial step that leads to romantic love, as reaching that stage requires the development of long-established trust, respect, and faith for all people involved. It's also thematically tied to how he broke free from both the toxic music/media industries of his time and the people associated with it, and gained more friends by staying true to himself, thanks to the influence of benevolent individuals like Luminiferous.
- Magical Eye: As the Alicorn god of Love (specifically, Philia Love), he can see the friendships that bind mortals/divines together as magical "rope". If the friendship(s) in question is damaged, the "rope" will become increasingly frayed unless an effort is made to mend it. This is what helps him seek out people who have troubled friendships and reconcile with their friends, and also allows him to cut the friendship "ropes", though he only does it in necessary situations, such as freeing people from magical coercion and/or deeply abusive friendships.
- Magic Hair: In his true form as an Alicorn god, his mane and tail are much longer and rippling, and they're made of dark blue energy soundwaves with lighter blue musical bars and notes running through them.
- Magic Music: As the Alicorn god of Music, he holds an extremely impressive mastery over music in general, which isn't surprising considering his origins as a musician. While he can use his music to calm and soothe listeners like Mier does, Blue's entry notes that he can also inspire joy and hope in his listeners depending on what song he plays. Other techniques include empowering people physically and magically, dispelling the effects of fear and hatred-based spells, generating solid magic constructs of musical bars and notes to slam and crush enemies, growing soundwave "tentacles" to restrain and strangle his opponents, firing beams of musical energy, and healing. While he does run into the problem of people suffering from deafness and/or hearing problems, Blue is creative enough to try get around this disability by stomping the ground (or any surface, really) so they could "feel" his music and allow the magic to take effect. For wide-scale effects, he can generate an energy-based stage and extra magic instruments for fellow musicians to play with, allowing his magic to reach farther than ever. The Dazzling Divas' entries reveal that he can turn people into his Clerics and grant them the ability to use music-related magic through his Music domain, allowing the Dazzling Divas to perform greater feats when calling upon his power.
- Magitek: Despite having a red, heart-shaped electric guitar as his Cutie Mark, his main weapon is described as a heart-shaped magitech guitar. This is because magic returned after the "Void Aeon" event put an end to the Second Age, which rendered electrical appliances and objects useless and thus necessitated his switch from electric guitars to magitech ones.
- The Magnificent: Known as "the King of Music" or, alternatively, "the King of Rock and Roll". However, like his character inspiration, he hates being referred to as such as he believes in a higher power that's far more deserving of being called "King", and there are Earth pony musicians/pioneers of Rock and Roll who also sing better than him, such as Black Domino.
- Make an Example of Them: A group of Griffon Autorists decided it was a good idea to make Blue Suede Heartstrings their first victim for his defiance, after the latter refused to budge and tried to talk them into leaving an Abyssinian settlement alone. This pushed an already impatient Blue - who was getting increasingly angry over the Griffon Autorists' racism and refusal to leave - to his breaking point until he snapped, and revealed his true Alicorn form to them with a powerful sonic scream.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: As part of his sonokinetic magic, he can unleash powerful, disorienting screams. One notable incident had him deal with a group of Griffon Autorists who attacked an Abyssinian settlement; after trying to get the Autorists to stop their racist activities and leave their victims alone the peaceful and diplomatic way, Blue would gradually lose his patience... until the Autorists decide to turn him into their first victim and ready their weapons. Then he heralds his true Alicorn form by unleashing a powerful sonic scream on them.Blue Suede Heartstrings: I said GET OUT!!!
- Make Some Noise: As the Alicorn god of Music, he can use sonokinetic magic, which allows him to manipulate sounds in general. He can unleash powerful, disorienting screams, induce vertigo in his opponents, hypnotize people with his singing, create violent earthquakes by sending powerful soundwaves through the ground, making powerful shockwaves to damage and blow back enemies, creating sound-based illusions, and nullifying sound indefinitely either to mask his own presence or make someone unable to create sounds of their own, effectively making them deaf and mute. However, Blue loathes using the latter ability as it robs them of their ability to listen to (and enjoy) his music. His entry notes that since his sonokinetic magic can be used without relying on his magitech guitar, he can still have an advantage should he lose his guitar somehow.
- Master of Disguise: As a god of Performance, he is really good at blending in with mortal races of Equus, and can simply do so by using shapeshifting magic to alter his voice and change his appearance until he resembles a member of a certain race depending on where he is, such as a Dragon, a Changeling, a Kirin, a Griffon, and the like. What helps immensely is his skill in masking his own Primordial Quintessence, and his previous experiences as a movie actor. However, his abilities are not infallible - deities with Truth domains can see right through his disguises, while those with strong psychic powers, such as Elske and Golden Scepter, can still sense something off about his presence.
- Master of Illusion: One of the things he can do with his sonokinetic magic is create multiple sound-based illusions.
- MayflyDecember Romance: Justified. His entry mentions that he had a few past relationships with both mares and stallions, but was completely faithful and loving to all of them. One of his partners was Record Beat, a unicorn DJ who became his first coltfriend/husband during the early Second Age. However, because he became a god sometime after, he ended up outliving his partners, who were often mortal, though he never forgot their faces and names long after their deaths. Lyra Heartstrings is a mortal demi-divine descendant from the Fourth Age through one of his deceased lovers.
- Meaningful Name:
- The first two parts of his name were taken from the song "Blue Suede Shoes", a song written by Carl Perkins before it was famously covered by Elvis Presley. "Blue Suede Shoes" being a Berserk Button about people stepping on the singer's shoes also applies in that Blue has a few Berserk Buttons of his own, except in his case, it's Fantastic Racism, which he sees as stupid and childish, and people who "cheapen" music and/or misuse it for evil, which tugs at his heartstrings in a not-so-good way.
- "Heartstrings" refers to deep feelings of love or compassion. He's a very humble and kind-hearted person who befriends people from different races/tribes despite imposed tribal/racial barriers, which is not surprising since Elvis Presley was humble himself and respected African-American musicians in a time when it was greatly frowned upon, causing him to be generally hailed as a hero in the African-American communities.
- "Blue" can refer to feelings of melancholy, sadness, and/or depression. When he was still mortal, Blue Suede Heartstrings eventually became disillusioned with the music/movie industries of his time after witnessing their growing corruption, hubris, and excesses and their effects on his friends/associates. His feelings worsened when he had to "cheapen" his music, and ended up outliving both of his parents, especially his beloved mother, who died from a terminal illness while he was away fighting during the Second Great War. By the time he recorded the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise", Blue had hit an all-time low to the point where he considered quitting performing music forever, and would have done so if Luminiferous had not found him in time and encouraged him to continue playing on his own terms.
- On the other hand, "blue" can also refer to the Blues genre, which was created by African-Americans and is characterized by melancholic and depressive lyrics. Blue took heavy inspiration from Earth pony music and respected Earth pony musicians a great deal, especially Black Domino. However, he grew up in southern Ponyland during a time when anti-Earth pony tribalism was the social norm, meaning that musicians like Black Domino would be passed over in favor of Blue because of their tribe, which pissed off Blue something fierce.
- Mellow Fellow: His entry notes that he has a laidback and mellow temperament, making him difficult to rile up. When he does get angry, it's usually in the form of Tranquil Fury.
- Mentor Archetype:
- He once served as some kind of mentor figure for Clover, a Second-Age heroine who was a member of the Tales Seven group and was known as "the Humble Seer". It's implied that she developed Seer abilities similar to his because of his teachings.
- He would become one again for a few individuals in the Fourth Age. In regards to the Dazzling Divas, he has personally mentored them, including the previously villainous Shadow Song, which resulted in them becoming far stronger, more skilled, and more experienced by the time they confronted Ivory Towers for the final battle. In particular, he would even become a father figure for Sonic Song and Miracle Hymn. He also taught Three Leaf, a musical healer and former Sunnytowner who moved to Ponyville after breaking free of Pakak's curse, which led to her singing skills improving significantly.
- In the Third Age, he became the mentor of sisters Melody, Muse, Jazzy, and Rocky after they caught his attention through their musical talents, leading to the quartet becoming extremely proficient in music. It is believed in-universe that he Ascended Melody, Muse, and Jazzy to demi-godhood with his own Primordial Quintessence during the Third Age's end when they tried defending their country, Mousikós, together from its enemies, the Oceanaiads.
- Bossa Nova's entry mentions that he would also tutor his brother in using his Music domain, resulting in his brother becoming more powerful than before despite not being a "prodigy" deity like him.
- Mind-Control Music: As the Alicorn god of Music, he can use his singing voice to hypnotize his listeners... or just make them sleep.
- Mistaken Identity: Because he shares similar color schemes with Flash Sentry, he's often mistaken for the pegasus stallion or, barring that, Flash's older brother, relative, and/or ancestor.
- Momma's Boy: Like Elvis Presley, it's implied in his entry that he had a very close bond with his parents, especially his mother, which earned him some bullying. At one point, he promised that he will take care of them once he reached global stardom, and fulfilled his promise years later. His mother's contraction and death from a terminal illness devastated him to the point where it became a contributing factor to his slow emotional decline, including turning his Big Eater habits to stress-eating. What made this even sadder is that Elvis was able to be with his mother until her death when she got sick; Blue was away fighting in the Second Great War when it happened and thus, he Never Got to Say Goodbye.
- Morality Pet: Justified. He serves as one for his friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, because their domains and natures are complete opposites of each other - Stoltur embodies the bad sides of Pride and encourages it to weed out the wicked, while Blue embodies Humility and encourages it to save/redeem prideful people. Blue can also produce an empathic aura that ebbs prideful feelings, making him a very relaxing presence to be around for beings like Stoltur. This is something that Stoltur himself greatly appreciates.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After going through a particularly brutal Trauma Conga Line, he would get into a heated argument with his record manager, "The Colonel", which ended with him snapping and delivering a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to his manager for exploiting and controlling him for years throughout his entire career. However, once he calmed down, he was so horrified by what he had done that he quickly fled the scene. By the time Record Beat found him at home, he was crying and fervently praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (praying) ...Dear King in Heaven, forgive me, for I have sinned... Please, give me a sign... grant me salvation... let me make up for what I had done...
- Mysterious Past: Due to being born very early in the Second Age, his origins have been subjected to ambiguity in-universe - he's speculated to be either a distant descendant of Ponies sired by "Visitors (especially by the Celestial Ponies), a former royal who discarded his status, or an Ascended demi-divine son of Amareros, the Love Primeval. One theorized backstory in particular depicted him as an apathetic and selfish god who was transformed/reincarnated into a amnesiac mortal and forced to live on Equus as punishment for constantly eating populated worlds. He gradually grew to care for his fellow mortals after coming into frequent contact with a single Pony mother and her young son, and chose to stay on Equus despite having his memories restored. Princess Stitching Time notes that this backstory was published as a What If? issue by Mare-vel Comics. It's subverted in that his true origin consists of him being born a mortal unicorn, becoming a famous musician, and then later becoming a travelling performer who eventually Ascended to godhood through his good deeds.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: He was away in the military fighting during the Second Great War when his mother became terminally ill and died. This (among other things) is what caused his slow emotional decline, and nearly would have led to his complete withdrawal from performing music had Luminiferous not found him in time.
- Nice Guy: Blue's entry notes that he's very polite, kind-hearted, and friendly to almost everyone he meets, and he genuinely loves all of his fans - in one incident, he signed a teenage filly's foreleg when she forgot to bring a paper for him, and after learning that an orphaned pegasus filly and a rehabilitated Maretian weapons experiment called "Stitch" looked up to him, he donated large sums of his own money to support them financially. He's also an All-Loving Hero in that he respects and befriends Ponies from all three tribes, and extended his hoof to non-Pony races when they emerged after the Second Age ended, despite imposed tribal/racial barriers. In addition, Blue is quite humble, never seeking validation or glory for his accomplishments, believing that much of his fame should go to more deserving individuals, and sees himself as being no different than the mortals he sings for. It's a major reason why he often disguises himself as a mortal. All of these factors directly contribute to his reputation as a beloved celebrity, and it's because of this that knowledge of him survived past the Second Age... however, it is not advisable to anger him, as he is an ancient and powerful Alicorn god underneath his unassuming appearances.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: He's based on Elvis Presley, who's often called "The King of Rock and Roll", and is one of the most recognized musicians and cultural icons in history. He even has many of Elvis' traits and mannerisms, such as his humility, his Big Eater tendencies, his preference for pompadours, and his religious beliefs... except here, he's definitely alive and healthy, not to mention that he's an Alicorn god.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Generally averted, as a lot of people recognize him and celebrate his compassion, friendliness, and humility, but the fact that he is friendly and respectful to all Pony tribes and even non-Equine races continuously anger tribal/racial supremacist factions, such as tribalists and Autorists. This applied especially in the early Second Age; because tribalism was very common and even encouraged in his day, Blue's tribalist critics and enemies tried framing him as someone who "stole" Earth pony music and posed a "danger" to Ponyland's youth. Even in the Fourth Age, he still gets a lot of flak for associating with different races even from those who aren't supremacists but still look down on other races for various reasons; in one incident, he nearly got punished by the haughty and puristic Elternteil Deer Pantheon, who thought he was "stealing" away their mortal Alvslog Deer subjects because he's an Alicorn in disguise, when actually he convinced them to abandon their prideful, racist, reactionary, and self-righteous ways while still keeping their love for nature. Blue was saved when Belyolen intervened and got his family to back off when he brought up the possibility of bearing Golden Scepter's wrath should they hurt someone who's friends with a member of the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon. It's because of these experiences that Blue hates tribalism/racism in general, and sees it as stupid and childish.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Deconstructed. After getting into a heated argument with his record manager, "The Colonel", he snapped from the tremendous grief and emotional stress he was under, and proceeded to beat up "The Colonel" in retaliation for exploiting and controlling him for years. Once he calmed down, he was so horrified by what he had done that he quickly fled the scene. He was later found at home by his coltfriend/husband Record Beat, crying and fervently praying to the "King of Heaven" for forgiveness.
- Not in Front of the Kid: During a tribalist attack on the School of Friendship, he would admonish the Children of Platinum faction for spouting their (in his words) "backwards hick philosophy" in front of the young students, even covering one of the students' ears while doing so.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Now fellas, that's QUITE ENOUGH from you. I don't even wanna HEAR another nasty name or ugly word come out of your mouths EVER AGAIN.
- Odd Friendship: Much like Golden Scepter and Temnobog before him, he would befriend Prince Stoltur Skjöldur despite the latter's inner Evil and overall vain nature. As it turned out, they countered and balanced each other at the same time; as the Alicorn god of Humility, Blue decreases pride so he could redeem mortals and help them become kinder, while Stoltur, the Bogolenya Deer god of Evil and Pride, increases pride to weed out the wicked. Blue also serves as a calming influence on Stoltur because he can radiate an empathic aura that lessens pride, something the latter appreciates. In turn, Stoltur has been encouraging Blue to have a little more pride in himself because he often gave himself too little credit for his own accomplishments, even when it's well deserved, and having too little pride is as bad as having too much. Canteros hints that they might become lovers in the future, due to their compatibility and closeness as friends. Bossa Nova's entry notes that while he was a bit perturbed over Blue befriending an evil deity, he appreciates Stoltur for looking after his younger brother and taking care of Blue's emotional needs, such as preventing him from becoming too humble to the point of having little to no self-esteem.
- Older Hero vs. Younger Villain: By divine standards, he's older than Hrůza, the Draconequus goddess of Mass Hysteria and Fear who is a "Tier III"-ranked deity. The "Temptation Unbound" conflict would see him clash with Hrůza for using music as a tool of fear and evil.
- One-Winged Angel: An inverted and justified example. Because of his humility, he often appears as a mortal from various sapient races, not wanting to be treated differently for being divine. He only reveals his true form as an Alicorn god in necessary situations, such as confronting foes that he can't fight while in a mortal form.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: There are a few times where he goes past Tranquil Fury and shows clear anger and upset; his entry notes that he'll use physical violence if pushed to this point, though often never more than necessary. Usually it happens when one of his Berserk Buttons is pushed.
- When a group of tribalists terrorized his fans during a concert, he confronted them and shouted for the "yellow-bellied squares" to leave his fans alone. When they didn't listen, he instead sung his old song "Hound Dog" for them as part of a "The Reason You Suck" Speech, enraging the tribalists into attacking him instead. The fight quickly turned into an impromptu yet highly-acclaimed performance that left the tribalists bruised and completely humiliated.
- In the Second Age, before his Ascension, he is furious when he learns that a few tribalists brutally lynched a teenage Earth pony colt for supposedly whistling at a unicorn mare, and got away with it. When reporters asked for his opinion on it, he delivered a scathing public "The Reason You Suck" Speech towards the killers, the judges who let them go, and everyone who turned a blind eye towards the horrific crime.
- After a group of Griffon Autorists both refused his requests to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone peacefully and spouted their beliefs in their own racial superiority, Blue starts losing his patience and plainly tells them to "[Get] out. NOW." However. when the Griffon Autorists decide to make him their first victim, Blue snaps and screams for them to leave, his sonic scream heralding his true Alicorn form in the process.
- The angriest he had ever been was when he snapped during a heated argument with his record manager due to the tremendous amount of grief and emotional stress he was under at the time, and proceeded to beat up said manager for exploiting and controlling him for years. Once his anger cooled, he was so horrified that he fled, and was later found by Record Beats crying and praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.
P - S
- Papa Wolf: When a Scion of Hurricane tried attacking Miracle Hymn for being an Earth pony (and ends up breaking one of his hooves due to the Magical Filly's Super Toughness), Floral Forte points out how "right daft" he is, with one of her reasons being a "stallion who might as well be her pa happens to be a god... And right behind ye." The Scion shortly discovers that the stallion in question really was standing behind him, as Blue Suede Heartstrings would immediately disarm the Scion as soon as the latter pulled out a weapon in retaliation to Miracle Hymn sending him into a wall with her holy magic. Blue does help the present Dazzling Divas protect the Scion and his tribalist colleagues from an vengeful mob of Corporaturm citizens, but only long enough for the autorities to arrive and arrest/hospitalize them.
- Parental Substitute:
- He would serve as a fatherly figure of sorts for Magical Filly (and later Cleric) Sonic Song, helping her grow through many of her issues.
- He would also become a foster father for Miracle Hymn, due to her spending time with him a lot that they developed a father-daughter bond. A major factor is their shared sense of grief over their parents' deaths - as he had once suffered from depression in the early Second Age after his own parents died, he holds a great deal of sympathy towards Miracle Hymn for losing her parents to Ivory Towers' demonic forces.
- He would also at times act as a father figure for his friend, Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love and one of Amareros' daughters. This partially led to him joking with Amina about who's the older of the two, as they are both within the same "age group" for divines.
- Performance Anxiety: He ironically suffered from this when he was a foal, just like Elvis did in real life when he was a child. He eventually overcame this as he grew older, though his entry mentions that he can still be a bit reserved and shy at times in private.
- Personality Powers:
- He is talented in music and is both very knowledgeable and passionate about it, which led to him befriending several other mortal and divine musicians. He would embody Music upon Ascending, where he gained the ability to wield Magic Music and sound magic for a variety of effects, such as healing and empowerment.
- Despite his massive popularity and reputation as a celebrity, he's very humble, and despite Ascending to godhood, he sees himself as being no different from the mortals he sings for. He would embody Humility after Ascending, where he gets Psychic Powers (telepathy, empathy, and precognition) to help detect and discourage unchecked pride in people.
- Much like Elvis, he is a stunning performer on stage as he genuinely wants to entertain his audiences, though part of his fame comes from his dabbling in movies. He would embody Performance upon Ascending, where he would gain shapeshifting abilities along with peak physical speed and agility by divine standards.
- It's noted in his entry that he is very polite and friendly to almost everyone he meets, which earned him quite a few friends, including Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, who he would become close to. He would embody Love - specifically, Philia Love - upon Ascending, and his domain allows him to help those whose friendships have become damaged, or free those who are trapped in abusive friendships.
- Physical God: He is one due to being an Alicorn. It's stated that he has an extremely impressive mastery over music in general, given his origins as a famous musician, and after becoming the god of Music, he's very skilled and creative with it. He's also psychic and clairvoyant due to embodying Humility, has shapeshifting abilities and enhanced combat skills thanks to his domain of Performance, and lastly, he is a Love deity who embodies Philia Love, allowing him to see the bonds of friendship that tie mortals and divines together. Due to his humble character, though, he often takes the form of a mortal, though it's implied that his mortal forms are no slouches, either. His entry notes that he is a "prodigy" deity, which gives him an accelerated rate of physical and magical growth compared to normal deities, and is already showing signs of growing a second pair of wings.
- Power Gives You Wings:
- As noted in Sonic Song's entry, his empowerment of the Dazzling Divas - Sonic Song included - turned them into his Clerics. One of Sonic Song's abilities granted by her Cleric form is the formation of energy wings made of dark blue energy soundwaves.
- This also applied to himself in the Second Age; after traveling all over Equus/Tellus and doing a lot of good deeds, he would eventually Ascend and become an Alicorn, which naturally gave him wings since he was previously a mortal unicorn.
- It's believed in-universe that during the Third-Age cataclysmic war with the Oceanaiads that destroyed Mousikós, he was responsible for Ascending sisters Melody, Muse, and Jazzy to demi-Alicornhood by using his own Primordial Quintessence. Either that or the sisters accidentally absorbed the arcane energies being unleashed as they protected their island home.
- The Power of Friendship: His compassion and friendliness were such that he gained friends even in "Evil" individuals such as Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, one of many divine sons of Pokhot, the Deer goddess of Lust and Pride. This is what saved him in one incident involving the Elternteil Deer Pantheon - after successfully helping a few Deer from the Alvslog Deer Herds abandon their prideful and self-righteous mindset while still keeping their love for nature, Blue became a target for the Elternteil Deer deities, who were enraged upon discovering that Blue is an Alicorn god disguised as a Deer stag, thus making him appear that he's "stealing" away their mortal subjects. Belyolen proceeded to point out to his father, High King Irminsul, that hurting Blue in any way would invite the wrath of an increasingly staggering number of people who don't want him hurt, from Stoltur himself all the way up to Golden Scepter, who is friends with the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon in general and will fly into a terrible fury if the Bogolenya deities (even the non-Deer and hybrid ones) are even so much insulted. This caused the Elternteil Deer deities to back off and leave Blue alone, as Irminsul feared the possibility of being confronted by Golden Scepter again.
- The Power of Rock: Justified. As the Alicorn god of Music, he holds an extreme mastery over Music in general and can use it in a large variety of ways, whether for a supportive role or an offensive role. Most of his music-related abilities can be channeled through his primary weapon, a heart-shaped magitech guitar. After turning the Dazzling Divas into his Clerics during a particularly difficult battle, all of them gained the ability to use his songs to cast spells, including his rock songs, which Sonic Song and Shadow Song have both applied.
- Psychic Link: He shares a psychic, empathic bond with Bossa Nova that is believed to have stemmed from being born identical twins. This bond allows him to sense what Bossa Nova is feeling and vice-versa, though it has the potential to develop into something more if they decide to improve on it. Bossa Nova calls their bond his "brother's instinct".
- Psychic Powers: His domain of Humility gives him telepathic and empathic powers that allow him to detect dangerously swelled egos and encourage humility in people. He also has precognitive abilities that allow him to predict a person's future based on their moral actions, allowing him to redeem those with unchecked pride by warning them of the consequences of their actions.
- Rage Breaking Point:
- After trying - and failing - to get a group of Griffon Autorists to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone and depart in peace, he gradually loses his patience the longer he listens to them spout their racist beliefs. It's after said Autorists decide to make him their first victim for his defiance that he snaps and heralds his true Alicorn form by unleashing a powerful sonic scream.Blue Suede Heartstrings: Now fellas, I can understand anger where it's warranted, but in this case, it's not. You hooligans have caused QUITE a bit of trouble here, terrorizing the innocent folks here for merely existing. So please, kindly stop this nonsense and leave this place before more people get hurt.
Griffon Autorists: Who are you to tell us what to do, Pony scum? We are the master race of Equus! And we bow to NO ONE!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: Master race? I see no master on this planet, save for the King in Heaven. Now leave. Don't force me to take drastic action against you.
Griffon Autorists: There will be no 'King in Heaven' but us once we're done with all inferior races on this planet! It is our sacred duty to spread our honorable culture over the uncivilized curs! Now move aside! Unless you want to join those mewling, cowardly hairballs!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: ...I think you misunderstood me. Get out. NOW.
Griffon Autorists: Pfft, foolish cur! You're outnumbered! Ready your weapons, men! This Pony scum will serve as an example for those who defy us!
Blue Suede Heartstrings: I said GET OUT!!!
- Bossa Nova's entry reveals that the last time he lost control of his temper, it was during a heated argument he had with his record manager, known as "The Colonel". After going through a particularly brutal Trauma Conga Line, he ended up snapping from the tremendous grief and emotional stress he was under, and he proceeded to beat up "The Colonel" for exploiting and controlling him for years. It's deconstructed in that after calming down, he was horrified by what he had done and quickly fled the scene. By the time his coltfriend/husband Record Beat found him, he was crying and fervently praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.
- After trying - and failing - to get a group of Griffon Autorists to leave an Abyssinian settlement alone and depart in peace, he gradually loses his patience the longer he listens to them spout their racist beliefs. It's after said Autorists decide to make him their first victim for his defiance that he snaps and heralds his true Alicorn form by unleashing a powerful sonic scream.
- Reality Ensues:
- Even if they did stem from living in poverty as a colt, his Big Eater habits are still unhealthy, and they became especially so after falling into a period of depression, grief, and disgust/disillusionment as an adult. After having a food-fueled nightmare about becoming grossly obese in his old age one night, he was motivated to cut down on his eating habits significantly, resulting in him becoming much healthier and handsomer than his character inspiration, Elvis Presley.
- As Three Leaf's entry implied, his action of using his domain of Philia Love to magically sever Three Leaf friendship "rope" that bound her to Grey Hoof didn't automatically complete her emotional/mental recovery. Although it was a significant contributing factor, as having her "rope" cut finally made Three Leaf see how horrible Grey Hoof became without her feelings clouding her mind, her recovery still took months to finish, and she needed the likes of Amour-De-Soi and Mentálne to help her deal with much of her trauma.
- Real Men Love Jesus: Like his character inspiration, Blue had a religious upbringing despite his family's poor financial status, which influenced him to become the kindhearted and humble stallion he is today. Part of the reason why he hated being called "the King [of Music/Rock and Roll]" is because he believes in a higher power (speculated to be the ancient god Equus) that's far more deserving of the title. The other reason is that in his mind, his idol, Black Domino, is the "true" King of Rock and Roll, having been one of the first pioneers of the genre. Blue would eventually Ascend to godhood and become the Alicorn god of Music and Humility after doing a lot of good deeds during his globe-trotting, but he never once disavowed his religious beliefs, and in fact saw his own Ascension as a huge Irony due to said beliefs.
- Really Gets Around: Downplayed. While his entry notes that he did sleep with mares and stallions over the course of Known History, he was completely loving and faithful to all of his partners, and the numbers of relationships he had were notably few compared to those held by other gods and goddesses. At least one of his relationships resulted in the birth of a Fourth-Age mortal demi-divine descendant, Lyra Heartstrings, who would become a musician just like him. Other descendants include Flash Sentry, Roneo, and Gladstone, though they're un-confirmed in-universe. Bossa Nova's entry reveals the identity of one of his partners - Record Beat, a unicorn DJ and stallion who had a crush on Blue for a while, and later became Blue's first coltfriend/husband after Bossa Nova subtly directed him to his younger twin brother in a well-meaning attempt to help Blue recover from his parents' deaths.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- Delivered in song form during one post-Ascension incident with tribalists. When a group of tribalists terrorized his fans during a concert, Blue confronted them and retaliated by singing "Hound Dog", accusing the tribalists of "cryin' all the time" and calling themselves "high-class". This enraged the tribalists into attacking him instead... only for Blue to turn the fight into an impromptu yet highly-acclaimed performance, leaving his assailants bruised and completely humiliated.
- He also made one in the early Second Age, before he Ascended. When he learned that a few tribalists brutally lynched to death a teenage Earth pony colt, Garden Spade (who is the expy/ersatz of Emmett Till), for supposedly whistling at a unicorn mare and got away with the crime, Blue was so furious that he delivered a scathing public speech when reporters asked for his opinion on the event. It was noted that this was one of few instances where Blue showed clear anger and upset instead of his usual Tranquil Fury, and became a major factor in his hatred towards tribalism/racism in general.Blue Suede Heartstrings: (angrily) What do I think of the lynching? I think it was a STUPID and CHILDISH and SENSELESS act. If those two hot-blooded fellas actually CHECKED what that poor colt was doin' instead of trustin' a horned mare's words an' goin' after him with barbed wire an' a loaded gun, an innocent life would've been spared. Now, I can't say anything that'll offend the King in Heaven, but anyone who does something so AWFUL like that and thinks it's okay doesn't DESERVE t' be called a 'good citizen of Ponyland'. Same for those who turn a blind eye an' let their fellas commit such acts because they don't like certain folks or have the heart t' speak up.
And as for those who killed that colt, an' the judges who let those same killers walk away free... You fellas oughta be ASHAMED of yourselves.
- Reclusive Artist: A narrowly averted in-universe example. After going through a few personal tragedies and experiencing great disillusionment/disgust with the corruption and hubris in the music/movie industries, he would hit an all-time low by the time he recorded the song "(You're the) Devil in Disguise". He would have succeeded in quitting music and disappearing from the limelight forever had he not encountered Luminiferous, which "changed the course of history" as the meeting set off a chain of events that led to him becoming an Alicorn.
- Required Secondary Powers: His entry notes that his mouth and ears are resistant even to the damaging effects of his own music, allowing him to keep his Super Hearing that is a part of his Music domain.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Invoked not by him, but by Belyolen. After Blue got in trouble with the Elternteil Deer Pantheon for supposedly "stealing" away their mortal Alvslog Deer subjects (when in fact, he was only convincing them to abandon their prideful, racist, reactionary, and self-righteous ways while still keeping their love for nature), Belyolen intervened by pointing out to Irminsul that harming Blue would not only provoke the ire of Blue's friend, Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, but also the latter's entire family... as well as Golden Scepter himself, who will fly into a rage if he were to hear of what happened. Both Irminsul and the other Elternteil Deer deities got the message and backed off immediately.
- Seers: His domain of Humility gives him a form of precognition that makes him see a person's future depending on their actions - he sees good futures if a person is humble and virtuous, but bad futures if not. This allows Blue to warn people of the consequences of their pride and other depravities, and help them redeem themselves. It's noted that Blue's foresight is similar to Stoltur's foresight, in which the latter sees people as they are if they reach their future potential for both good and ill.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: After beating up his exploitative record manager in a fit of rage and then calming down afterwards, he was so horrified by what he had done that he quickly fled the scene. He was later found at home by his coltfriend/husband Record Beat, crying and praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness.
- Semi-Divine: One interpretation of his backstory is that he's a demi-divine son of Amareros, the Love Primeval, who eventually Ascended to true godhood.
- Shrinking Violet: As a colt, he was very shy and suffered from stage fright. While he gradually improved and became the famous musician (and god of music!) he is today, his entry mentions that he can still be a bit shy and reserved at times in private.
- Southern Gentleman: He was born in southern Ponyland during the early Second Age, with the Southern accent to match. Despite the prevalent tribalism as well as the hubris and corruption that afflicted the music/movie industries at the time, he remained a kind-hearted and humble stallion who is polite and friendly to almost everyone he meets. Even Ascending to Alicornhood didn't stop him from retaining his manners. When Prince Written Word questioned his beliefs and asked him why he continues to worship the "King in Heaven" despite knowing his god is likely flawed, Blue doesn't get angry over it and gives him a reasonable and respectful answer.
- Stealth Pun: He is a blue-maned/tailed Alicorn god named "Blue Suede Heartstrings", and he's a humble, compassionate, and friendly stallion. In other words, Blue Is Heroic.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Justified with him and Bossa Nova. Because they're identical twin brothers, they look almost exactly the same save for a few differences, such as hair color, Cutie Mark appearances, and wing gradients. It's because of this that Blue is often believed to be secretly a Death god when it's actually Bossa Nova, his older brother, who is the Death god, something that Bossa Nova himself finds hilarious.
- Super Empowering: With his Magic Music, he can empower allies both physically and mentally. He can also grant people a portion of his power, turning them into his Clerics - this is what happened when he arrived in time to save the Dazzling Divas from corrupt Elephant corporate executive Ivory Towers, who was empowered by the Tyrannos god of Greed, Avarita, and lent the Magical Fillies his power to aid them in the final battle. The Dazzling Divas received upgraded forms and magic as a result, which allowed them to defeat both Ivory Towers and her demonic Board of Directors, including a high-ranking Greed demon, Don'yoku.
- Super Hearing: His entry notes that as part of his Music domain, he has better hearing compared to many deities, allowing him to hear sounds generated by enemies and perform echolocation. Thankfully, both his mouth and ears are resistant even to the damaging effects of his own music as well.
- Supernatural Floating Hair: In his Alicorn form, both his mane and tail are much longer and perpetually rippling.
T - Z
- Telepathy: Becoming the god of Humility gave him telepathic powers. This allows him to detect increasingly prideful thoughts and react accordingly.
- Time Abyss: Justified. He was born in the early Second Age, which gave his origins some ambiguity - theories include being former royalty, an apathetic and selfish god who was turned into a mortal as punishment for devouring populated worlds, an Ascended demi-divine son of Amareros, and a distant descendant of "Visitors" (especially the Celestial Ponies). His age and tall height would make him one of the older deities, especially when compared to those who were born and Ascended later in the Second Age, such as Queen Dazzleglow, Princess Brightglow, Princess Stitching Time.
- Tragic Stillbirth: He was originally the younger of identical twins, but his older brother came out stillborn, just like what happened to Elvis' older twin brother, Jesse Garon Presley. While he doesn't let his loss take over his life completely, it's implied (and believed in-universe) that Blue is still affected by it in some way, as he started developing a brotherly fondness for kids and has been seen talking with those who lost beloved family members and are still grieving over it, such as Prince Written Word, who lost his mortal pegasus mother to old age.
- Tranquil Fury: Whenever he gets angry, he usually shows nothing but a sharp glare and a deep, disappointed voice. It's only when he gets really angry that he resorts to physical violence, but even then, he never does more than necessary. The only times where he shows clear anger and upset towards someone is when his Berserk Buttons are pressed, such as tribalist/racist behavior and music being misused as a tool for evil.
- Trauma Conga Line: This happened in his adulthood pre-Ascension. First, he lost his mother then his father, starting his slow emotional decline. He does meet and fall in love with Record Beat, a unicorn stallion and DJ, giving him the emotional support he needed, but since same-sex relationships were social taboos at the time, they faced public disgust for getting together. His record manager at the time, "The Colonel", also used his affair with Record Beat as blackmail to exploit and control him. Then he watched as the music/movie industries grew increasingly corrupt with hubris and other excesses, influencing some of his friends, associates, and managers to become decadent and abusive. Then his own music was "cheapened" for the sake of profits. Then he heard news that a beloved and kind-hearted reverend (implied to be the expy/ersatz of Martin Luther King Jr.) was publicly assassinated for encouraging and preaching racial/tribal co-existence. These tragedies pushed the grieving, emotionally stressed Blue to his absolute breaking point, and around the time he recorded the song, "(You're the) Devil in Disguise", he got in a heated argument with "The Colonel" that ended with Blue snapping and delivering his manager a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown for controlling his entire career. But once his anger cooled, he was horrified with what he had done and quickly fled back to his house, where Record Beat found him crying and fervently praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness. He felt so depressed afterwards that he planned to quit music and withdraw from the limelight forever when he met Luminiferous, who cheered him up and set him on the path of obtaining godhood. It's revealed that Bossa Nova, Blue's older twin brother, was responsible for starting the Trauma Conga Line in the first place, as he was trying to help Blue recover from his parents' deaths by subtly directing him to Record Beat. Blue later found out, and admits that while he was mad at Bossa Nova for manipulating his life, he forgave him since Bossa Nova truly didn't mean any harm and apologized for it. He also acknowledged that had his brother not intervened, he still would've been stuck under "The Colonel"'s hoof all those years ago, which both horrified and enraged Bossa Nova.
- Twin Telepathy: It's believed in-universe that being twins gave him and Bossa Nova a psychic, empathic connection that survived even beyond Bossa Nova's stillbirth, allowing them to sense what the other is feeling, though it's also noted that their bond could develop into something more if either one of them decides to improve on it. Bossa Nova calls their bond his "brother's instinct".
- Upbringing Makes the Hero: A large part of his humility and compassion towards people of all tribes/races stemmed from a religious upbringing, where he learned about the two aforementioned virtues as a colt. His religious upbringing also inspired him to take up music, as many of the churches he attended had gospel choirs, which he loved.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: As the Alicorn god of Performance, he has shapeshifting abilities that allow him to alter his voice and take on the form of a mortal from various sapient species depending on where he is, such as Changelings, Kirin/Qilin, Ponies, Dragons, Deer, and Abyssinians. What helps his disguises is the fact that he's very good at masking his own Primordial Quintessence. However, his entry notes that deities with Truth domains can see right through him, and even those with strong Psychic Powers, such as Elske and Golden Scepter, can sense something off about him.
- Walking the Earth: After meeting an incognito Luminiferous and receiving a "pep-talk" from him, he would quit his job as a career musician, and traveled the world to perform for his fans on his own terms. This led to him becoming an Alicorn when the list of good deeds he had done in his journeys grew to the point where they warranted his Ascension. His globe-trotting also led to him meeting and befriending Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love and one of Amareros' daughters, as their travels would frequently cross paths with each other.
- What You Are in the Dark:
- Despite his personal disgust towards the repentant Sunnytowners' horrible actions against Ruby Heart and other innocent Ponies like her, he was too compassionate to let them continue suffering from emotional and mental trauma that stemmed from their experiences in Sunnytown, which he compares to being stuck in "Heartbreak Hotel" for a long time. He helped Three Leaf break free of Grey Hoof's abusive influence by using his domain of Philia Love to magically severe the friendship "rope" binding them, which played a role in her finally making progress in her psychological recovery. He also encouraged Roneo to become more confident and assertive by rekindling the stallion's love for writing, and convinced Gladstone to let go of his protectiveness of Roneo and allow him to "grow up".
- Despite being a massively popular celebrity in the early Second Age (with all the vices that entails), he still tried keeping true to his values and staying humble and compassionate even as the music/movie industries of the Age were becoming increasingly corrupt. However, with the level of mental and emotional stress he was going through at the time, he needed help from others such as Luminiferous to truly break free from the cycle, which led to him eventually Ascending to godhood after his meeting with the Alicorn god of Potential.
- Willfully Weak: Justified. Despite being a "prodigy" Alicorn god, he usually appears as members of mortal races because he doesn't want to be treated any different from his mortal (and divine) friends/fans for being a god. He only reveals his true divine form when absolutely necessary, such as confronting dangerous entities that he can't fight in his mortal form.
- Winged Unicorn: His true form is described as a tall Alicorn with a long horn, and a dark blue gradient on his great wings. His mane and tail are also much longer, rippling, and made of dark blue energy soundwaves with lighter blue musical bars and notes running through them. And as a "prodigy" deity, he's already showing signs of gaining his second pair of wings, since his physical and magical growth are both accelerated compared to "normal" deities.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: It's implied that Luminiferous gave him a "pep-talk" of this nature, seeing that Blue had hit an all-time low and really needed some cheering-up. This motivated Blue to quit his job as a career musician and travel the world to perform on his own terms, bringing joy and hope with his music even after he became an Alicorn.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Like Flash Sentry, he has a dark blue mane and tail, except his own hair is much darker to the point where it has appeared black under certain lighting.