I shrugged. "Off the top of my head? This looks uncomfortably like a combination of the pentacle and the anarchy symbol. Magic unrestrained."
Humanity has been fascinated by space for thousands of years, and it's often associated with the unknown. Thus, magic is often associated with stars as a symbol, usually the traditional five-pointed star. Use of these symbols can range from starry patterns on the Robe and Wizard Hat to pentagrams being used in Satanic rituals.
Related to Star Power and Space Is Magic when stars themselves are magical, Star-Shaped Coupon when a plot coupon is star-shaped, and Star-Spangled Spandex and Celestial Body for starry wizard robes. Also see Wish Upon a Shooting Star for wishing on stars. Subtrope of Cosmic Motifs.
- The Dresden Files: Pentagrams are a symbol of magic, by representing its five elements.
- In The Kingston Cycle by C.L. Polk, "Starred One" is an epithet for witches. They can bequeath their Soul Power to each other upon death, which shows to Aura Vision as a star floating by their head, called witchmarks, or "soulstars" to be polite. By Soulstar, Miles has a fairly intimidating crown of thirteen.
- Mage: The Awakening: The pentagram represents the five Supernal Realms, each of which sustains an aspect of the material world and generates a Path of magic for the human souls attuned to it: Fate and Time from Arcadia; Mind and Space from Pandemonium; Death and Matter from Stygia; Prime magic and Forces from the Aether; and Spirit and Life from the Primal Wild.
- In the game of Dungeon Dice Monsters (defictionalized from the Yu-gi-oh manga and anime), Summon Crests are five-pointed stars with the power level of the given monster inside. You must roll two matching Summon Crests to summon a monster. In addition Magic Crests are star-shaped symbols formed by stacking four triangles on each other, each rotated a bit from the others.
- Divinity: Original Sin: The symbol for the Witchcraft skill, which governs Non-Elemental magic, is a purple pentagram inscribed in a circle.
- The Epic Battle Fantasy series: Used in multiple games:
- In all games, a starting spell of Natalie is Lucky Star, summoning a 5-pointed star on her enemies.
- Epic Battle Fantasy 1: Magic Potions, which "Boosts magic", have a 5-pointed star as their stopper.
- Kirby: Stars are frequently associated with magic.
- Kirby's Warp Stars are big, flying stars that transport Kirby between worlds. They also usually leave a trail of smaller stars behind them.
- Kirby's Adventure: The Dream Rod, which runs on the power of dreams, is topped with a star and shoots stars. The evil Nightmare is covered with stars in his Ball form, and in his Wizard form, wears a cloak decorated with stars.
- Kirby Super Star: In "Milky Way Wishes", Kirby must collect stars from different planets to summon NOVA, a wish-granting space robot.
- Okiku, Star Apprentice: The room for Summon Magic has a 5-pointed star in a circle.
- Pokémon: Several Pokemon and moves are associated with star symbols and magical or unknown powers.
- Staryu and Starmie are starfish with psychic powers that supposedly communicate with stars.
- Cleffa is classified as the Star Shape Pokemon, and its evolutionary line are described as mysterious, supposedly coming from space, and being associated with shooting stars.
- Jirachi is a Mythical Pokemon based on wishing upon stars. It can grant wishes, and its head resembles a 5-pointed star.
- Several magical or otherwise unusual moves use stars in their animations, including Swift and Cosmic Power.
- PsyCard: Star symbols are used for Mana Meter gradations for Psychic Powers.
- Neopets: Several magical characters are Starry pets or have star motifs on their clothing or equipment.
- The Spellseeker Wizard, Shop Wizard, and Lenny Conundrum Wizard all have stars on their robes. The Lenny Conundrum Wizard even has a star on the tip of his wand.
- Kauvara is a Starry Kau and has stars on her hat.
- Jerdana's robes feature the sun, moon, and stars.
- Fantasia: The sorcerer's hat in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" has a star and crescent moon pattern.
- The Fairly OddParents: The fairies' magic wands have star-shaped tips.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Several characters are associated with magic and have stars in their Cutie Marks, combination Power Tattoos and Distinguishing Marks which indicate a pony's skills and goals in life.
- Twilight Sparkle, Unicorn mage. Bearer of the Element of Magic of Harmony. Cutie Mark: Stars.
- Trixie Lulamoon, Unicorn magician entertainer. Cutie Mark: Stars and Wand.
- Starswirl the Bearded is a unicorn mage who has stars and crescent moons on his robe.
- Starlight Glimmer has magical powers and her Cutie Mark features a 4-pointed star.
- Modern witchcraft commonly uses a five-pointed star, or pentagram, to represent magic and it's frequently incorporated into sigils and spell circles. There's much debate as to how old it is, what it originally meant, and whether it matters whether there's a point facing straight up or down.