"Stop!" hissed the alien in an asthmatic wheeze. "I command you Earthlings to stop! I am not funny, do you hear me? I AM NOT FUNNY!"
The most common physical response to an in-universe Funny Moment: a character gripping his stomach in pain and laughing hard enough to make their eyes start watering. Some characters may remain standing, others may roll around on the floor or have to sit down.
This is Truth in Television: Laughter, especially loud, intense laughter, results in emotional excitement and causes your tear glands to be stimulated, resulting in an inverted version of Cry Laughing. Laughing for a long period and with sufficient force can also result in straining your muscles, particularly the intercostal muscles of the ribcage and the muscles of the abdomen. In addition it's quite possible to even cause a stress fracture of one of your ribs from laughing far too hard, or even Die Laughing from triggering a heart attack!
Not related to Die Laughing. Usually.
Anime & Manga
- Great Teacher Onizuka: Japanese Delinquents Kunio Murai spots Onizuka walking around with an ugly, fat older woman, and has this reaction before learning that the lady in question is his friend's mother.
Kunio: BWA HA HA HA HA! I thought bestiality was illegal in this country!
- Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple: In his climatic fight vs. Odin, the titular protagonist starts to imitate his various masters in order to throw off Odin's Awesomeness by Analysis Kung-Fu Clairvoyance. Some masters cheer with pride at seeing Kenichi imitate them, while others nervously deny that they look or sound like that — and then Kenichi delivers a spot-on imitation of The Philosopher Akisame Koetsuji, complete with a short lecture. Akisame states his approval while the other masters crack up. Even Kousaka Shigure has a hard time holding it in.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey: When Barrel finds himself Covered in Kisses courtesy of his Abhorrent Admirer, Lock bawls to the point of throwing up some of the candy he scarfed down earlier. Thankfully, there's a Vomit Discretion Shot to prevent the funny from becoming squick.
- Ouran High School Host Club:
- Commonly displayed by the Hikaru and Kaoru, a pair of Trickster Twins, particularly when they manage to get the better of Tamaki. See the episode where Tamaki utterly fails to impersonate Haruhi and the resulting Ocular Gushers from the laughing twins.
- Haruhi herself gets her turn to laugh in episode 9 when the boys of the Host Club all crossdress in an attempt to win her over.
- One Piece:
- An earlier episode has Nami and Usopp dying of laughter after Zoro shoved his glass of water down Luffy's throat where the latter had flicked a booger into it.
- When Jabra sees his teammate Kaku's Devil Fruit transformation for the first time, he laughs himself silly. The reason? Kaku's a giraffe — his Partial Transformation is even more hilarious. Kaku initially yells at Jabra to shut it, but when Kaku's giraffe ears twitch during the Beat, Jabra is sent into gut-busting hysterics.
- During the Dressrosa arc the villain Pica, who has eaten the Stone Stone Fruit and can turn himself into a stone colossus happens to have a very high, squeaky voice. The sheer dichotomy of The Big Guy having such a voice causes Luffy, Zoro, and some of their allies to bust a gut laughing. It makes Pica go berserk.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: In the third drama CD, Mami makes Kyoko call an attack while fighting a witch as payback for when she ridiculed Mami's tendency to give her attacks names. Kyoko eventually complies, but once the battle is over, she laughs so hard she can't breathe because she found it so absurd and embarrassing.
- In Tamagotchi, the Gotchi King is a big egg-shaped Tamagotchi who literally starts to crack up when he laughs too hard. As a result, his royal guards have to make sure he doesn't laugh too hard when he makes an Accidental Pun. This character trait is introduced in the earlier Tamagotchi animated series Let's Go! Tamagotchi.
- In The AFR Universe story "Boys And Queens", Ann falls to t he ground in a laughing fit when she discovers Ryuji is going on a date to a fancy restaurant with Hifumi Togo.
- In A Growing Affection, Anko suffers a fit of uncontrollable laughter (even dropping what she is holding and gasping for breath) after she finds out where Hinata hid during the stealth and tracking test. Hinata went to Naruto's apartment and watched him practice his weapons, going so far as to ask him to take off his shirt, first.
- A Spartan in Westeros: the Spin-Off A History of the Spartan and the Starks mentions that Daeron I asked King Cregan Stark for his help in his campaign against Dorne, only for the Northern king to tell him he would not get his people in an unnecessary war. Then, Daeron said he was sure the Spartan would aid him. Cregan laughed so hard he had to be treated for chest pains.
- The Dragon and the Butterfly: A pre-wedding talk between the Madrigal adults (namely the ones who married into the family) and Hiccup turns uncomfortable pretty quick when Hiccup thinks that they're trying to have The Talk (which he's been given already). Valentina's comments make the situation worse. By the end, Felix is on the ground, can barely breathe and is nearing cardiac arrest from laughing so hard.
- In Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past, when Luna manages to get her Patronus, it turns out to be a duck-billed platypus, and Ron congratulates her for having an imaginary creature as a Patronus, only for Hermione to tell him it's a real creature, much to his disbelief. Harry, in the meantime, laughed so much he started to see spots.
- Legendarily Popular: After Professor Oak tells Ash that there's a pile of two dozen unconscious Dragonite on his lawn, from Ash's remaining Dratini and Dragonair all infiltrating his gym battle, Dunsparce (who is actually Mew, and lives for amusement) falls out of its Pokéball, "started giggling, and didn't stop for several minutes."
- This Bites!:
- Both Soundbite and Su bust a gut when they see Sanji's infamous post-Enies Lobby bounty picture. And much later, upon meeting Duval, who looks just like said picture, the entire crew (except Sanji, for obvious reasons) falls to their knees laughing.
- When Tashigi bumps into the Straw Hats at Takoyaki 8, she reveals that the Cipher Pols are hunting for Cross' homeland in order to threaten it with a Buster Call if the Straw Hats don't surrender. After taking a moment to process this, all the Straw Hats (and several present allies also aware that Cross is from another world) collapse into hysterics as they realize the Marines are on a wild goose chase.
- When Merry bites Garp in the ass and then rips his trousers to reveal his Goofy Print Underwear, both pirates and Marines crack up laughing, with Conis unable to take photos of the event because she's laughing too hard.
- A Darker Path:
Films — Animation
- Kiki's Delivery Service: Kiki falls victim to this after the bicycle she and Tombo are riding goes over a cliff, but they're miraculously unharmed. Her face eventually twists into a somewhat pained expression when the laughter becomes too much for her, and she has to rub tears from her eyes from laughing so hard.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: Lock, Shock, and Barrel do this after hearing what Oogie plans to do to Santa.
- Redwall: A short but simple example from near the end of Mattimeo
"Orlando laughed so hard he hurt his jaw."
- Skin Game: When Dresden explains to Murphy exactly what's giving him those frequent headaches, she hits the floor laughing, unable to get herself under control for at least a quarter-hour, and has giggling fits when she looks at his dour expression for some time after.
- In Quest for Glory IV, after you use the Ultimate Joke, Ad Avis laughs like crazy and clutches his abdomen, giving you the opportunity to skewer or zap him to death.
- In the Servant Materials of Fate/Grand Order, Atalante learns from Sasaki Kojiro that Medea went from a sweet child that she cared for to a bitter witch. Atalante laughs so hard from the agony that she faints. On the surface, it's played for laughs, but given how close the two were shown to be in Fate/Apocrypha, it's likely that Atalante blames herself for not protecting Medea.
- Happens twice in the original version of Wild ARMs.
- When Cecilia is roped into a fake wedding by Captain Bartholomew to one-up his rival, said rival's crew ends up rolling around on the floor and has to be dragged away due to how hard they are laughing.
- When Berserk reveals the demons used the Guardian Blade as a ruse to lure the heroes into a trap, he outright states his stomach hurts from all the laughing.
- In Volume 4 of RWBY when Ruby sees Jaun for the first time without his armor, she bursts out laughing at his hoodie because of the cute bunny rabbit on the front. Jaune tries to defend his hoodie, but it just makes Ruby laugh more and more until she finally collapses on the ground, weakly kicking her legs in the air while still giggling.
- In Three Jaguars, Business Manager has this reaction to the article Artist found about a writer who didn't want to have to deal with the publishing side of things.
- Fat, French and Fabulous host Jessica Pigeau has a literal asthma attack due to laughing at the idea of serial killer Allan Legere fighting his way out of prison with a snapped-off television antenna he hid up his anus.
- Jerma985 tends to laugh himself hard enough into a headache with all the wacky shit that has occurred in the games he's played, most prominently GTA4.
- The Cynical Brit: Total Biscuit wounds up in the hospital after a particularly funny game of Superfight caused him to strain himself laughing.
- raocow had a case of this when playing Super Mario Infinity 2 and witnessing "Black Plague", a Palette Swap of Big Boo. Black Plague's design caused him to burst out laughing for five minutes straight, noticeably running out of breath toward the end.
raocow: I-I'm gonna die of lack of air... but seriously... look at him!
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged: Goku suffers this after being placed in a healing tank following his battle with Captain Ginyu. It repeats for a long time and even off-screen, only stopping when King Kai contacts him.
Goku: Heh heh, the bubbles tickle Heh heh- ow, it hurts to laugh. Heh heh, ow. Heh heh, ow. Heh heh, ow-
- Yogscast: The Jaffa Factory series done by the in their Minecraft series had a moment where Simon Lane incorrectly builds a Santa statue with its belt below its butt. Sips bursts into laughter over this and then every other Yogscast member all starts laughing hard too.
Sips: Why is the belt below his ass!? Why!?
- The Backyardigans: One episode has Austin as the God of Laughter. He inflicts this on Tyrone, resulting in the latter laughing uncontrollably. Like, rolling-on-the-floor-clutching-his-belly-begging-for-mercy laughing.
- Kim Possible: One of Kim's mission outfits in "Clothes Minded" was a ridiculous-looking anime-style mecha suit that caused Drakken and Shego to collapse in a fit of laughter:
Drakken: Oh, Shego, my sides hurt!
Shego: I know! I know! Where are the Fashion Police when you need 'em?
- King Leonardo and His Short Subjects: The two-part arc "He Who Laughs Last" and "Long Laugh Leonardo" had Biggy Rat and Itchy Brother incapacitating the King and Bongo Congo with continuous laughter as a whole by stealing Odie Cologne's "Smile" perfume and permeating the air with it. Odie was not affected as the villains trapped him in a kettle of another perfume, which Odie uses as an antidote.
- Rocko's Modern Life: Rocko's kitchen is obliterated by a satellite two days before he is to host a dinner party for his friends and acquaintances. Since he's liable for the damage, Rocko gets a state-licensed contractor, a hyena called Ferb, for the reparations. Ferb's reaction when Rocko tells him that he needs the kitchen fixed in less than two days is to dissolve into uncontrollable laughter that only gets worse, forcing him to sit down on the floor and explosively throw his belongings. Rocko can only stare with a very concerned look.
- Superman: The Animated Series: Inverted in one of the closing scenes of the "World's Finest" three-parter. Mercy Graves, in bandages with a broken arm and ribs thanks to an earlier tangle with Harley Quinn, laughs at a news report of Harley being hauled back to Arkham, then winces as the motion sets off her various sore spots.