Harley Quinn is an adult-oriented animated series set for the DC Universe in 2019 that stars Harley Quinn. The story loosely adapts the early '00s comic run where Harley Quinn has split off from The Joker for good and set out to become the queenpin of Gotham. Joining her are an ensemble cast that includes her best friend, Poison Ivy, as well as many others. Kaley Cuoco, of The Big Bang Theory fame, will voice Quinn.
It is one of four inaugural series to be announced for DC's streaming service DC Universe, besides Young Justice season 3 (subtitled Outsiders), Titans, and Swamp Thing. Also, it's being headed by Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker and Dean Lorey, the creative minds behind the short-lived Powerless.
Tropes shown in this work:
- Precision F-Strike: Albeit bleeped, in the trailer, Harley says that if no one enjoys her show, she will "bash their f***ing heads in!" There are two unbleeped s-bombs in the SDCC trailer.
- Screen Tap: The trailer begins with Harley tapping on the screen, complete with the traditional "glass" sound effect.
- Shout-Out: Harley angrily does the Floss in the SDCC 2019 trailer.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The trailer released for SDCC is set to Joan Jett's cover of the theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
- Take That!:
- In the very first teaser, Harley Quinn says that unlike Donald Glover's ill-fated Deadpool cartoon, her show is actually coming out.
- In the same teaser, Poison Ivy asks why Harley's show is a comedy when DC's movies are known for being bleak, gritty, and depressing. A visibly nervous Harley responds by saying that while that is an excellent way to make a movie, everyone on her show will have fun.