For tropes related to Childish Gambino, see that page.
Donald McKinley Glover (born September 25, 1983 in Edwards Air Force Base, California) is an American rapper, singer, writer, actor, comedian and director.
He is not related to actor Danny Glover, as he has actually brought up in some occasions.
- Mystery Team (2009) as Jason Rogers
- Community (2009 — 2014) as Troy Barnes
- The Muppets (2011) as Junior CDE Executive
- The To Do List (2013) as Derrick
- Girls (2013) as Sandy
- Adventure Time (2013, 2016) as Marshall Lee (voice)
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014) as Greg
- China, IL (2015) as William "Transfer Billy" (voice)
- The Lazarus Effect (2015) as Niko
- Ultimate Spider-Man (2015) as Miles Morales / Spider-Man (voice)
- Magic Mike XXL (2015) as Andre
- The Martian (2015) as Rich Purnell
- Atlanta (2016 — present) as Earnest "Earn" Marks
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) as Aaron Davis / "Prowler"
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) as Lando Calrissian
- Guava Island (2019) as Deni Maroon
- The Lion King (2019) as Simba (voice)
Tropes across his career (tropes in his music can be found at Childish Gambino)
- Alter-Ego Acting: He would differentiate Donald Glover, the nerdy Nice Guy; and Childish Gambino, the egotistical hedonist.
- Ascended Fancast: Coming off Community, Glover was a very popular choice for the role of Miles Morales, the Ultimate Spider-Man, and even actively campaigned for it ahead of The Amazing Spider-Man Series. Though he eventually aged out playing the role in live action, Glover got the chance to voice Miles in Ultimate Spider-Man (2012) and played a character who is traditionally Miles's uncle in Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- Becoming the Mask: Invoked quite a bit during the because the internet era, with Gambino deliberately blurring the line between Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and the Boy (the album's protagonist) in ways such as dressing up in the Boy's clothes when doing interviews. This makes a bit of a mystery with how personal the songs really are with how they connect to Gambino and correlate with the album's screenplay.
- Black and Nerdy: In his comedy special, he says that it wasn't cool to be a black nerd until 2003.
- Casting Gag: Being the voice of Miles Morales in Ultimate Spider-Man (2012). His audition for The Amazing Spider-Man actually led to Brian Michael Bendis creating Miles Morales as response in the comics. So in other words, Glover is now voicing the character he inspired the creation of. And in Spider-Man: Homecoming, he played Aaron Davis aka the Prowler, Miles' uncle.
- Kids Are Cruel: In one bit of his stand-up, where he refers to them as "tiny Hitlers". He says that he knows this from a past experience where he saw two kids fighting over a basketball, and the one that lost the ball immediately yelled, "That's why your mom's in a fucking wheelchair!"
- The Problem with Pen Island: His initial Twitter handle was @DonGlover, which could be written as "Dong Lover". He acknowledged it during an interview with Jimmy Fallon.Glover: I was like, 25 when I found out my name was Dong Lover.
- Nerdcore: Was called this a lot at the beginning of his career due to the humor in his lyrics, his lack of 'street cred', and the fact that he was far more famous as a comedy writer (30 Rock) and actor (Community) than as a musician. This label hasn't really been brought up since EP and Camp, the two of which made it obvious that there was more to him than geeky references.
- "Sesame Street" Cred: He was in the February 8, 2013 episode of Sesame Street, playing a pop star named LMNOP.