Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra (born November 19, 1961), better known as Meg Ryan, is an American actress and producer best known for her starring roles in Romantic Comedy films such as Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally..., and You've Got Mail.
Films she has appeared in with pages on TV Tropes:
- Amityville 3-D (1983)
- Top Gun (1986)
- Innerspace (1987)
- The Presidio (1988)
- When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
- Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)
- The Doors (1991)
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
- French Kiss (1995)
- Addicted to Love (1997)
- Anastasia (1997)
- City of Angels (1998)
- You've Got Mail (1998)
- Kate & Leopold (2001)
- In the Land of Women (2007)
- The Deal (2008)
TV series she has appeared in with pages on TV Tropes:
This actress' roles provide examples of:
- Star-Derailing Role: Hanging Up is often regarded as this, but the movie that really seems to have pushed Ryan's career off the rails is Jane Campion's 2003 In the Cut, a dark and harrowing erotic thriller in which Ryan played a dowdy professor of English who gets involved with a NY cop played by Mark Ruffalo, notable for an extended and highly explicit sex scene and invoked a generally downbeat tone. The critic David Thomson notes that although the film isn't a masterpiece, it was a brave and imaginative one for Ryan to do, and her subsequent low profile can't be explained by the quality of her acting in it, being more like the movie industry punishing her for wanting to do something completely different from romantic comedies.note
- Trope Codifier: For many, Meg Ryan IS the romantic comedy genre in movies.
- Unkempt Beauty: Her character's usually sport a somewhat messy hairstyle. This doesn't detract her beauty in the slightest.