All the Flank Champions for the videogame Paladins
Faction: None (currently), The Magistrate (formerly)
Species: Cursed human
- Voiced by Chris Ryan
A former partner of Lex, cursed with an eternal hunger for souls after killing a goddess.
- Revolver, his primary fire, deals more damage to closer it shoots at an enemy.
- Defiance delivers a solid punch that packs quite a bit of damage.
- Reversal puts up a forcefield in front of him that absorbs all enemy fire and fires a blast that deals most of the damage that was absorbed.
- Nether Step lets him dash in any direction, including upwards, up to 3 times in a row before going on cooldown. As a passive ability, holding the jump button in the air slows his descent.
- Accursed Arm grants him flight and mutates his revolver to fire four explosive blasts that deal heavy damage.
- Cursed Cylinder makes your Revolver become an automatic weapon, with a slightly lower fire rate and increased damage (from 540 to 600 damage)
- Godslayer makes Reversal always fire back a projectile when activated (as well as just absorbing damage), which deals a minimum of 800 damage.
- Defiant Fist makes successful hits with Revolver increase the damage of your next Defiance Punch in 15% increments damage stats , with it capping at 100% damage stat
His champion teaser can be seen here.
- Ambiguously Evil: While he looks villainous and eats souls, he's more misunderstood than straight-up evil.
- Ambiguous Situation: We know very little about his curse, only that it requires Androxus to look for souls to sate it. We know nothing about what he looks like underneath his mask, and we know very little about who cursed him, just that the deity who slayed him cursed him with a never ending hunger for souls.
- Ascended Meme: His "Dabbing" emote is actually a permutation of what players see when he activates nether step. Evil Mojo, never passing up an opportunity, made it into an actual emote.
- Attack Reflector: His Reversal skill is this. It absorbs damage before reflecting it back as an energy bolt. The Talent, "Godslayer", allows him to fire an energy bolt without having to absorb damage first.Androxus: You can have these back!
- Badass Longcoat: He wears one, no matter the skin (just varying types of longcoats).
- Bathos: The Dasher's Antlers head skin gives the dark and grim Godslayer a festive pair of deer antlers and a big red nose.
- Blood Knight: One of the champions most obsessed with death and killing. He's not even too torn up about dying, merely saying, "Pity, I was enjoying myself."
- Body Horror: His outfit covers everything but his right arm, but what we can see isn't pretty.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Killed a goddess, which is no small feat in this setting, but lost his humanity in doing so.
- Cool Guns: Rivals Viktor in terms of how many skinned guns he has.
- Cursed With Awesome: Killing the goddess took a toll on his arm, but boy does it makes him look badass!
- Cherry Tapping: Using Defiant Fist sure looks silly, but it's more powerful than it looks, and its sole purpose is to finish enemies off with it.
- Empowered Badass Normal: He was already a high-ranking lawman before he gained his accursed powers.
- Face Death with Dignity: He probably has the calmest death lines of all the champions. It may have something to do with his Body Horror, or maybe's it just because he's a Blood Knight.Androxus: Pity, I was enjoying myself...Androxus: I return to the shadows...
- The Faceless: We've never seen Androxus without a mask, so this definitely applies. What it's covering up is also left up for debate. The only skin to not have a mask is "Huntsman", which isn't any help as that turns him into a werewolf.
- Fallen Angel: The Fallen Androxus skin turns the Godslayer into a hooded avenger armed with corrupted divine power.
- Flash Step: His Nether Step skill allows him to dash in any direction (even upward) up to three times in quick succession.
- Firing One-Handed: Uses his revolver one handed. This leaves his other hand free to punch people.
- For Doom the Bell Tolls: His ultimate is signaled by the knell of a church bell.
- The Gunslinger: Has a pistol and he knows how to use it.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Instead of using his revolver up close, Androxus can use Defiance to just haul off and sock opponents with his free hand. It packs quite a punch and is a handy finisher.
- Gun Twirling: Occasionally while on horseback. One of his emotes has him doing an extended, flashy gun twirl.
- Hand Cannon: His Revolver does a lot of damage when aiming for headshots, but has only a few bullets to kill champions with.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: He is wanted by the Realms' magistrate forces, and has a rivalry with Lex, of which he used to be partnered with back when he worked with him. After killing a goddess, his luck hasn't gotten any better.
- Horror Hunger: He was cursed to forever crave for more souls.
- Kill the God: He got his powers from killing a malicious goddess. Who the goddess was, we don't know yet.
- Lampshade Hanging: Androxus, of all people, points out how dangerous the environment of the champions is for their mounts.Androxus: This is no place for horses!!
- Light Is Not Good: His Exalted skin replaces his dark, tattered ensemble with a pristine white uniform with gold trim and buttons. His accursed hand, however, is still highly conspicuous.
- Literally Shattered Lives: The Shattermaw skin for his revolver turns enemies it kills into crystal statues that shatter to pieces.
- More Dakka: He used to be able to fan-fire his revolver, though it wasn't very accurate.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: Justified, as he's not actually evil himself, but dresses like it. He does dress in dark clothing and wears massive boots, which doesn't do him any favors. Because he has to keep killing people to feed his curse's need for souls, he's more misunderstood. Purple is also his Color Motif (purple arms, purple longcoat, purple parts on his mask), as well as having a cursed arm that is prominently on display at all times (which is green, admittedly, but still).
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner:
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Wields an oversized hand cannon with a barrel that resembles a pair of jaws. The inside of the cylinder glows green, and even the bullets seem demonic. When his ultimate is active, the silhouette of a dragon's head appears around the "jaws", making it look like he's shooting dragon fire.
- Running Gag: When he appears in promotional trailers, he usually does something cool before getting his butt kicked. And not necessarily in that order.
- Series Mascot: Seems to be one of the unofficial faces of the game, appearing prominently in promotional material.
- Sentai: His Battlesuit Godslayer is inspired by Sentai TV shows.
- Shout-Out: His Halloween-themed Screech mask is based on Ghostface's mask from Scream.
- Soul Eating: He is cursed with an insatiable hunger for souls.
- Steampunk: His Steam Demon skin, complete with steam coming out of his horns.
- Tainted Veins: His exposed right arm is covered in sickly green veins.
- We Used to Be Friends: He once was Lex's partner, but he abandoned his role as a lawman because of his curse. Now the Magistrate's most wanted, Lex vowed to hunt him down.
- You Have Researched Breathing: Along with Talus, he's one of two champions who can punch people.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Part of his curse has him have a never-ending need to feed on souls of the people he's killed.
Faction: The Paladins (currently), The Magistrate (formerly)
- Voiced by Joshua Tomar, Chris Rager (Buck Wild skin)
A massive monk who wields a shotgun and can leap great distances to get in range. On top of being a monk, he also has experience as a thug and soldier.
- Shotgun his primary fire, deals heavy damage up close.
- Net Shot fires a net that damages and slows enemies.
- Recovery quickly heals him for 1000 health.
- Heroic Leap makes him leap far and high.
- Buck Wild, his Ultimate, gives him unlimited ammo and greatly increases his fire rate for 6 seconds.
- Ensnare, increases Net Shot's damage to 910 (from 700).
- Bulk Up makes Recovery heal for an additional 600HP instantly, and increases your maximum Health by 300HP for 5 seconds.
- Bounce House makes Heroic Leap deal 600 damage (from 0) and knocks up enemies within 20 units of where you land.
- Adorkable: He's such a big, loud goofball.Buck (singing): Buck is here to save the daaaay! Smart and brave in every wa— Oh! I didn't see you there.
- Badass Normal: Not quite to the extent of Viktor and Tyra, but Buck appears to just be a very big human with great leaping power and a shotgun. It depends on how mystic his Recovery skill is supposed to be.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's a big guy who's just having fun as he shotguns bad guys in the face.
- Bottomless Magazines: His ultimate removes his shotgun's need to reload.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: His biography implies he's been a underworld thug, a soldier and a monk...and even in the Magistrate's elite military unit the Sentinels, which multiple other far more conventional characters were also from. You'd expect pretty much none of those occupations from him considering what a dork he is.
- Dumb Muscle: Buck is as loud as he is gullible - a hulking man blissfully too stupid to realize he scares/annoys his teammates.
- Easter Egg: His "Buck Wild" splash art◊ has one of the spectator signs showing the phrase "NERF KOGA".
- Faster Than They Look: While the other Flank champs are small to average in size, Buck has a large size and burly physique that is more fitting for a Front Line. However, his muscular legs can propel his bulk far and fast. Lampshaded by Chancellor Mal'Damba, who is surprised by his speed.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: A few of his voicelines suggest that his boisterous personality is not well-liked by the other champions.Buck (at the start of a match): Huddle up, guys. Let's do this! Wait guys, huddle! Come back!
- Guide Dang It!: His Heroic Leap ability unexpectedly has a lot of air control that you need to get used to. A player using the ability while holding the backwards movement button will find themselves only moving forward by about a step by the end of it, but an experienced player can leap even around upcoming corners of a map.
- Healing Factor: His Recovery is one of the few cases of an in-combat healing ability belonging to anyone but a support champions (not counting loadout cards that heal you, of course).
- In a Single Bound: His aptly named Heroic Leap ability has him take a huge jump, dealing mild damage when he lands. He can even do it midair, somehow.
- Jump Physics: He can leap while already jumping. With the Bounce House talent, he's apparently doing a Shockwave Stomp that damages and knocks enemies up into the air as well.
- Lightning Bruiser: Buck can cross vast distances with his leap, his shotgun can dish out a fair amount of damage at short-range, has the most health out of the flank heroes, and he's able to heal himself up during combat... And then his ultimate, Buck Wild, lets him... Go buck wild, allowing him to rapidly fire.
- More Dakka: His ultimate basically turns his pump-action shotgun into a bottomless semi-automatic shotgun.
- Nerdy Inhaler: Checks before a match starts if he's got snacks, ammo and his inhaler. Of course, while he's a dork, he's not really as smart as a Nerd usually is, and his upper body is a mass of muscles.
- Nice Guy: For the most part, Buck seems to just be a loud, well-meaning guy. Some of his taunts are a little mean, but that applies to everybody.
- No Indoor Voice: Shouts pretty much everything.
- Odd Name Out: For a long time, he was the only champion to not have a title. It was subverted in patch 47 where he was finally given the title, "The Unyielding".
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner:
- Punny Name: Buckshot, anyone?
- Shaped Like Itself: One of his jokes."What word is always spelled wrong? Wrong!"
- Shockwave Stomp: With the Bounce House Talent, Buck's heroic leap sends out a damaging shockwave when he lands that sends enemies flying up. With timing, he can use it to finish off weakened enemies or knock them into pits.
- Short-Range Shotgun: His shotgun is devastating up close, but does at most moderate from afar.
- Standard Status Effects: His net gun slows down enemy players.
- Top-Heavy Guy: To the extent that it almost gives him an Uncanny Valley look compared to, say, Viktor.
- The Juggernaut: He claims to be one in his Ultimate quote heard by enemies.
- Unorthodox Reload: Normally he reloads his shotgun one shell at a time, but when he uses his ultimate, he simply spins his shotgun once and it somehow fully reloads.
- Warrior Monk: He combines the meditation of an Eastern-style monk with the skills and weaponry of a soldier. He was formerly a soldier for the Magistrate until he became disillusioned and became a monk of Jenos.
The Winter Witch
Faction: The Paladins
A sorceress who was exiled from her home village after sealing a frost elemental inside a gemstone.
- Ice Staff, her primary fire, fires powerful, but slow-moving blasts of ice.
- Ice Block freezes her in a block of ice that is impervious to damage, giving her a brief respite before it shatters.
- Blink instantly teleports her forward a short distance.
- Soar allows her to hop on her staff and take to skies for a few seconds.
- Ice Storm, her Ultimate, summons a blizzard that damages, slows, and cripples enemies within it.
- Over The Moon increases her damage dealt by 20% for 3 seconds after Soar ends.
- Snow Globe makes Ice Storm now deals 80 (from 40) more damage every .25 seconds, and costs 50% of your energy to use, but reduces its duration to 3 seconds.
- Worm Hole makes Blink be able to be used a second time within 4 seconds to return to the initial casting location.
- Ambiguously Evil: Evie is an Ax-Crazy girl and really gets off murdering people. However, she's also genuinely friendly with her friends and doesn't actively seek people to kill. She likes killing people she hates, but she doesn't hate everyone. Regardless, her allies are wary of her.
- An Ice Person: Much like what her moniker says, she uses ice manipulation - though she also gets on with normal witch powers with Soar on her magic broom and Blink.
- The Artifact: One of her jokes is a "Knock Knock" Joke with the punchline "Icy your gates are burning!", which refers to the beta version of the Payload mode, where the goal was to destroy the enemy's gates, and finally their base. Gates are no longer part of the game, so this reference is lost on most players.
- Ax-Crazy: Her normal quotes make her seems unstable, whilst her Kill Streak quotes make it the most obvious. She really enjoys killing people.
- Confusion Fu: Evie rocks it best of all the Flank champions. With Blink and Soar she has the mobility to get to any place she wants, meaning she could be going after that Kinessa sniping in the backlines. Or she could be going after your support right now.
- Cute and Psycho: Has a very cutesy outlook, but her real personality is an actually Ax-Crazy murder-happy girl.
- Cute Witch: Her title is the Winter Witch and she's quite cute. When she's not trying to kill you, of course.
- Death from Above: Her kit affords her quite a bit of vertical mobility, rivaling that of Androxus. A good trick to pull off with Evie is to bombard an area with attacks from the sky. Either they'll see it coming and break formation to dodge, or try to kill Evie by slugging it out which is a bad idea, considering her staff can kill most champions in 3 good hits.
- Deceptive Disciple: In her old lore, Evie defied her master by binding a certain great ice spirit forever to her, causing her to become immortal and get banished.
- Difficult, but Awesome: Fires a Painfully Slow Projectile...that also damages you if you get too close. She's also loaded with mobility abilities that do no damage what so ever, which means you're probably not going to win a head-on fight with all the other characters that do. Naturally, mastering these things about her will make her one of the hardest characters to kill in the game while still firing in enemy team's backs constantly.
- Disproportionate Retribution: One of "Troublemaker Evie's" jokes claims a person told them stripes and plaid don't work together. Her response? Evie killed them.
- Fragile Speedster: Has a lot of mobility and escape options thanks to Soar and Blink, but has pretty low health.
- The Friend No One Likes: Constantly sounding like a barely-restrained Ax-Crazy person will do that to you. The best she gets is Ying believing she's really a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Flying Broomstick: Her Soar ability makes use of this.
- Genki Girl: She's also a rather excitable girl, even too excitable at times.
- Girlish Pigtails: Has large pigtails and is very immature.
- Glass Cannon: She's pretty fragile, but a direct hit from her ice staff can deal 930 damage, which is enough to kill most heroes in 3 shots.
- Heal Thyself: She heals herself for the duration of her Ice Block ability if she has the Frigid Field card in her loadout. If she has the Flicker card active, Blink will heal her for a small amount as well.
- Hot Witch: The Bewitching skin◊ transforms cute Evie into a more traditional, but sexy witch, complete with a witch's hat, a broomstick, and a slightly bigger bust.
- Human Popsicle: Her Ice Block ability lets her become this.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Parodied in one of her entrance lines."I just want to be normal without having to blow everything up. OH WELL!"
- Kill It with Ice: She's called the Winter Witch for a reason.
- Living Battery: Her incredible ice powers come from a powerful frost elemental that she imprisoned in her staff's gemstone. It's not happy about being used as an Amplifier Artifact and Evie's allies question how long she can keep it contained.
- Never My Fault: One of her death quotes is "It's... not my fault..."
- No-Sell: Possibly as a result of having the lowest health of all champions, Evie's Ice Block skill blocks every attack in the game. Even ultimates that would absolutely be a one-hit kill for Evie like Terminus, Bomb King, Skye, and of course, Drogoz. She's one of two champions that has a 'shield' that encompasses all damage, from every direction (the other champion being Moji and her Magic Barrier).
- Not the Intended Use: Ice Block is generally used to buy Evie more time for her cooldowns, but it can also be used to contest objectives with impunity. Evie can halt payload pushes or point captures by blinking into the objective, and popping Ice Block to buy her team time.
- Painfully Slow Projectile: The ice bolt she fires from her staff is pretty slow and isn't recommended to use it at longer distances.
- Perky Goth: Her Troublemaker skin turns her into one of these.
- Shout-Out:"No, I'm not the shiny version. Stop asking.""There must always be a Frost Queen!"
- Bewitching Evie may call out her attacks by pronouncing them backwards like Zatanna.
- Sneeze of Doom: Her ult is apparently this, judging by her voiceline for it being an awkwardly epic sneeze. (Complete with Power Echoes, to boot.)
- Splash Damage Abuse:
- Her ice staff deals 900 damage to a small area, with some falloff and a Painfully Slow Projectile to compensate. This means she's pretty good at stopping point captures just by spamming her basic attack at the point, possibly killing off squishier champions with its damage.
- Her ultimate is an area-of-effect storm that slows and cripples (disables movement abilities) enemies in its area, meaning that getting out of its area, and any other ult that happens to be in the same area is difficult.
- Standard Status Effects: Enemies caught in her ultimate are slowed down and crippled.
- Teleport Spam: Her Blink ability has a rather short cooldown, which allows her to teleport place to place. If she has the Wormhole Talent in her loadout, she has the option to teleport back to her original position before cooldown.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has very bright blue hair.
- You Shall Not Pass!: Evie's kit is designed around area control, not straight-burst (Skye), manfights (Buck), close-ranged burst (Androxus) or single-target damage (Maeve), but she's useful at stopping objective control. Her Soar and Blink gets her to the objective faster than anyone not on a horse, whilst Ice Block allows Evie to contest objectives with impunity. Finally, Ice Storm slows and cripples victims in its area, meaning that if it's dropped on the objective, it works well for forcing a break in formation, or risk dying to Evie and her team.
- Why Won't You Die?: Ice Block renders her immune to damage for its duration, meaning she could be in the middle of the enemy team and not give a fuck while it's active. Combined with her ludicrous mobility, and Evie can become an absolute pain in the ass to deal with, flanking the enemy team and devastating their backlines whilst laughing off any attempts at reprisal.
The Lost Hand
Faction: The Paladins (currently), Thousand Hands guild (formerly)
- Voiced by Daman Mills
A former street urchin who was recruited, and then betrayed, by Zhin of the Thousand Hands Guild. Now he fights alongside the Paladins for revenge.
Koga's Abilities (Normal stance):
- Unique to Koga is that his abilities have no cooldown, instead drawing from an Energy meter that slowly builds over time, storing up to three bars.
- Submachine Guns, his primary fire, fires weak bullets at a very high rate of fire.
- Shadow Step uses one Energy to turn into a cloud of smoke and dash forward, becoming untargetable in the process.
- Agility passively gives Koga the ability to wall climb. When activated, one Energy is used to temporarily boost his movement speed and jump height.
- Dragon Stance has Koga switch his guns for a set of claws, changing some of his abilities and constantly consuming Energy while active:
- Hellkite Claws replaces Submachine Guns, and launches fiery slashes.
- Skewer replaces Shadow Step, consuming all current Energy to dash forward, damaging anyone in the way.
- Cyclone Strike, his Ultimate, renders him untargetable, slicing everyone within 25 feet of him to ribbons.
- Adrenaline Junkie makes your weapon shots from your submachine guns restore energymaths .
- Blood Reaper makes Cyclone Strike deal 100% of a target's health as damage over its duration, and his Ultimate charges 15% faster.
- Dragon Fangs makes Dragon Stance no longer consume any Energy, but instead consumes 200 Health per second. It requires at least 300 Health to initiate.
His champion teaser can be seen here
- The Alcoholic: His "Please" voice line is; "Please tell me there's booze".
- Cast From Hit Points: The Dragon Fang talent has Koga sacrifice HP to fuel Dragon Stance instead of Energy.
- Combat Pragmatist: His time at the Thousand Hands guild instilled three lessons into him.(Gets First Blood): "Lesson 1: Always strike first."
(Purchases an item): "Lesson 2: Use every tool to your advantage!"
(Gets Top Play): "Lesson 3: Never fight someone you know you can't beat."
- Difficult, but Awesome: He was specifically designed to be mechanically-demanding. You have to manage your energy bar, find out which surfaces are climbable, when to reload your guns' pitiful ammo count, figure out if you should use dash or a quick-step? etc. Because of this learning curve, in the hands of new players, Koga achieves almost nothing of value for the team, but get good at Koga, and he'll become as powerful as any other flank champion.
- Flat Joy: His personality in a nutshell. Most notable with his "Woohoo" voice line.
- Guns Akimbo: Wields two submachine guns for long range. To compensate for their high damage, they have a piddling 75 ammo.
- Mechanically Unusual Fighter: Koga has no cooldowns for any of his abilities, using an energy meter instead.
- Shirtless Scene: His Harsh Training card.
- Stance System: Can switch between his SMGs or his claws with Dragon Stance, but his claws are dependent on his energy meter.
- Surfer Dude: His "Beach Bash" skin has him say "Bro" in about 30 different ways, and one instance of "Bruh".
- Wall Crawl: Can climb up walls for vertical mobility. While he uses his hands in first person, third person view depicts him doing a Wall Run.
- We Used to Be Friends: Was a member of the Thousand Hands and was Zhin's personal apprentice. However, the Thousand Hands betrayed Koga and tried to have him assassinated, driving a wedge between him and Zhin. Koga fought off his assassins and vowed revenge on his former mentor.
- With Cat Like Tread: The "Sneaky Ninja" emote evokes this, which has him do a stereotypical tiptoeing while hunched over, all with an playful endless rising chord looping and playing in the background.
- Wolverine Claws: Packs a pair of glowing hot claws for slicing up close. Like his former mentor, they can also fling fire.
- You Are Already Dead: Says this near-verbatim as his Ultimate callout.Koga (about to use ultimate): "You're Already Dead!"
The Hand of Justice
Faction: The Magistrate
- Voiced by Benjamin Welch, Todd Haberkorn (L-Exo Suit skin)
A lawman who keeps order through his big handguns.
- Magnums, his primary fire, is a semi-automatic pair of guns that are powerful, but get weaker at a longer range and lose accuracy if they are fired too quickly.
- In Pursuit has him automatically fire six shots to the closest target with perfect aim.
- Retribution will prioritize the player with the highest killstreak on the enemy team within 150 units of Lex. If no enemies are within 150 units, Retribution will then prioritize any enemy with the highest killstreak outside of 150 units. Killing his target grants him 30 bonus credits (15 for an assist) if the target is on a killstreak. Enemies that kill him automatically become his new target.
- Combat Slide makes him swiftly slide forward while retaining the ability to shoot. This can also be used in mid-air.
- The Law, his ultimate, targets enemies in a cone-shaped area in front of Les, executing enemies at or below 65% Health. Enemies above 65% health will take 600 damage and be slowed for 1 second, and shields are instantly destroyed.
- Discovery, lets you deal 30% more damage to your Retribution targetdamage stats , and reduces the Cooldown of Retribution by 15 seconds.
- Heroism makes you gain 90% Damage Reduction and CC Immunity while using Combat Slide.
- Death Hastens now make your Weapon Shots deal 680 damage per shot (from 320 damage per shot), but fire slower
His champion teaser can be seen here.
- Always Accurate Attack: He always hits the closest target to him while In Pursuit, but each shot during it does lower-than-normal damage. It can even pull off headshots in really specific circumstances, probably entirely unintentionally.
- Balance Buff: In Patch 3.05, his Retribution ability got changed to no longer target the same person twice in a row (1v1's being the exception for obvious reasons), as well as letting him slide in mid-air, and changing how his retribution targets are prioritised. Previously, it was basically random who got chosen, the only consistency being that if you got killed by someone, that person would be your next target. Now, it's killstreak based, with the highest killstreak being your target within 150 units, followed by a contingency for a further 150 units if no such target exists.
- The Comically Serious: Even the other serious champions (such as Androxus, Viktor, Seris...) have moments of levity. This guy? Totally serious despite all the crazy nonsense going on around him in the game, though he's not as bad as, say, Tyr in that he at least will laugh. This nature of his is perhaps best heard by how his line for being set on fire is by attempting to remain calm while VERY CLEARLY panicking:
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Along with striking blue eyes.
- Deadpan Snarker: When overriding his retribution target, he'll comment on the role of the champion:When hunting a support champion: "Once this one is gone, it will be over."When hunting a damage champion: "I've heard tales...it is no matter."When hunting a frontline champion: The bigger they are, the harder they fall!When hunting a flank champion: They think they can escape the Law? Bhahahahaha...
- Fanservice: His Longboard skin swaps out his regular modest clothes for swimming trunks that show off his muscular bod.
- Finishing Move: His ultimate will literally obliterate sufficiently wounded enemies. Somewhat less impressive against insufficiently-wounded ones, though. In Pursuit also does a good job of this, assuming no one too healthy is too close to Lex rather than the very-wounded intended target.
- Guns Akimbo: Wields two Hand Cannons into battle. Their semi-automatic fire gives them great burst potential at the cost of accuracy.
- Gun Fu: The low cooldown on his Combat Slide lets him do John Woo style shootouts.
- Hand Cannon: His magnums are big and powerful.
- Knight Templar: Talks about how malevolence is like a sickness and that he will cleanse the world with his judgment.
- Magitek: His magnums shoot magic blasts instead of bullets and reload by recharging the energy rods inside them.
- Meaningful Name: This lawman's name is Latin for "law".
- No Body Left Behind: Foes killed by his ultimate are vaporized out of existence.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Saved Pip from a group of bigoted ruffians. Pip proceeded to continue fighting alongside the Paladins against the Magistrate that Lex is a part of.
- No Sense of Humor: He does not joke around, not even with his "Joke" emote.Lex: None of this is funny...
- Precision F-Strike: A mild one with his "Yes" voiceline as he says "You're goddamn right", but his "Curses" voiceline is a case of full on Did Not Do the Bloody Research, as the below is quite a rude word in British English.Lex: Bollocks!
- Space Police: The L-Exo Suit skin turns Lex into a cocky, futuristic Cowboy Cop who is annoyed that he's assigned to a backwater planet.
- Surfer Dude: His Longboard skin talks like this, basically acting like an Expy of Johnny Utah. If he's stunned he'll also do Keanu Reeves trademark "Whoa"
- Video Game Sliding: His Combat Slide ability makes him slide quickly, with the distance traveled being unaffected by his current movement speed or terrain (so he can slide up slopes from a standstill).
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He's wearing nothing but swimshorts and a towel draped over his shoulders in his Longboard skin.
- We Used to Be Friends: He and Androxus used to be partners, but when Androxus went rogue because of his curse, Lex vowed to hunt him down.
- Voiced by Jad Saxton
A young thief with the prowess of a cat.
- Maeve has a passive ability to Double Jump.
- Daggers are her main weapons. Once thrown, they travel in an arc, and don't need to be reloaded.
- Pounce has her quickly dash forward and perform a melee strike on an enemy if one is in her path.
- Nine Lives heals her for a bit of health and resets the cooldown of her other abilities.
- Prowl greatly increases movement speed and jumping, but attacking or using another ability cancels it early.
- Midnight, her Ultimate, puts enemies within 300 feet of her in a sphere of darkness, greatly reducing their vision to just a few feet in front of them.
- Cat Burglar, which lets you deal 520 damage (from 400) from your first two Weapon Shots within 5 seconds of Prowl ending.
- Street Justice makes Pounce execute targets below 35% health.
- Rogue's Gambit makes eliminations reset the Cooldown of Pounce, with that ability also now dealing 440 damage (from 400).
Her champion teaser can be seen here.
- Animal Motif: Cats. Her abilities are named after cat abilities, her pupils are slitted like a cat's, and the crosshair changes to a cat's eye when using her.
- The Artful Dodger: She grew up on the streets, having to steal and be quick and agile to survive.
- Autotune: Raeve Maeve, being one big reference to electronic dance music, naturally speaks in this.
- Background Music Override: Selecting Raeve Maeve in Maeves' skin select tab makes the music change to a unique dubstep Music track.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: In this case, a borrowed emote. Her "copycat" emote has her take out Ying's mirror and do a mocking version of Ying's default emote.
- Casting a Shadow: Her ultimate conjures a huge sphere of darkness around her, causing enemies in it to see nothing but shadows. For the enemies, this can lead to Darkness = Death.
- Cat Girl: Like we said, her Animal Motif is cats. Not to mention she wants to know if you've got string or yarn for no reason.
- Her Alley Cat skin really plays up her cat motifs by giving her cat ears and a cat tail printed on her coat.
- Her Raeve Maeve skin continues the cat theme, with her cat-eared helmet showing many cat graphics and having a holographic tail.
- Darkness = Death: Her ultimate, Midnight, allows for this, especially when done in combination with other ults like Time Bomb or Barrage. It's very useful for breaking formations, creating openings and generally screwing with the enemy team.
- Double Jump: The only champion that can do so. Combined with Prowl and Pounce, she can practically do Le Parkour. Her maximum "jump" is done by using Prowl, double-jumping, Pounce (which resets her double-jump limit and can allow her to double-jump again while still in the air) and maybe a Nine Lives so you can Pounce and Prowl again.
- Expressive Mask: Raeve Maeve's helmet has a screen that displays graphics depending on her actions, such as a Cat Smile by default, gnashing teeth during prowl, and crossed out eyes when she dies.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her coat is missing a sleeve. The Magistrate's Archives map has a broken case with a torn sleeve caught in the glass◊, revealing what happened to the missing sleeve.
- Fragile Speedster: She's the fastest champion and very mobile with a double-jump for good measure, but ties with Evie for the lowest health. She tends to fare a bit better than Evie, though, thanks to her smaller frame.
- Gratuitous French: Maeve speaks English in a French accent normally, and Maeve has a habit of replacing "The" with "Ze" ("Protect ze tank!", for example), but otherwise, she rarely dips into actual French. Her "Street Style" skin, which is fashion-themed, has the amount of French spoken by her being easily triple the regular amount.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Her cat-like eyes are a result of her being half-tigron.
- Horny Devils: The Demonette Maeve skin turns Maeve into a nubile demon of the Abyss, clad in a leotard and hot pants. She also has long horns, a long tail like Talus, and a much bigger bust than regular Maeve.
- Infinite Supplies: She has an infinite supply of knives that come out of her seemingly bottomless pockets in her trenchcoat. This makes her unable to buy the Deft Hands reloading-improving item.
- Knife Nut: Naturally, since she favors using blades over firearms.
- Leitmotif: Raeve Maeve has its own dubstep beat playing in the background that amplifies when she moves, gets a second track layered on top when she uses Prowl, and makes a wub-wub sound during Nine Lives
- Little Miss Badass: One of the youngest and shortest of the female champions and also an incredibly deadly thief.
- Maurice Chevalier Accent: She speaks with a distinctively French accent (even though her name is actually Irish):"I'm a cət above zee ʁest!".
- No Ontological Inertia: Midnight ends early if she is killed.
- Pungeon Master: Maeve makes a load of Cat and knife puns in her dialogue.
- Reality Ensues: Played for Laughs if she loses a match, where she'll complain about having to retrieve all of the knives she's thrown.
- Killing an enemy with Pounce will make her quip "These blades are made for slicing", which she said in the exact candence of the song "These Boots are Made For Walking" by Nancy Sinatra.
- Raeve Maeve's helmet is a clear reference to deadmau5. Her lines are just filled with references to electronic dance music as well (so many, that someone made a list for them).
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Maeve sounds very eager to get her hands on some yarn, as one of her jokes will ask you if you have any string or yarn to play with...for no reason, obviously.
- Trenchcoat Warfare: Uses her longcoat to carry the numerous daggers that she throws.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair, but is no Rose-Haired Sweetie.
Faction: The Paladins
- Voiced by Rachael Messer, Maureen Price (Dragonborn skin)
A creature from the forest, fighting with her own magic and the abilities of her mount to end the war that's destroying her homeland.
- Familiar Spit, her primary fire, is a weak magic projectile launched from Po-Li's left head, which consumes Magic Marks she applied on enemies to deal bonus damage
- Familiar Spray is a stream of magical energy from Po-Li's right head. Every hit with the spray applies 1 Magic Mark to the enemy, stacking up to 10 times.
- Magic Barrier projects an impenetrable forcefield around her. Enemies that attack the barrier receive 10 stacks of Magic Mark.
- Scamper has her quickly scamper forward on her familiar.
- Bon Appetit, her Ultimate, transforms a single enemy into a delicious treat for Po-Li. Coming into contact with the transformed victim executes them and prevents ability-based revival.
- Snack Attack makes players you kill leave Health Drops that heal you for 800HP when picked up.
- Boom Boom makes detonating a Magic Mark damages all enemies within a 15 units radius of the original enemy.
- Toot makes Scamper leave a...gas cloud for 3 seconds that grants allies 600 health over a period of 3 seconds.
Her champion teaser can be seen here.
- Adorkable: She's cute and nerdy with a nasally voice. Dragonborn Moji averts this in her voicelines, but still looks the part.
- Apologetic Attacker: She seems to be friends with Grover and Makoa as she sounds horrified and apologizes if she kills them.
- Armor Is Useless: Her Dragonborn skin wears pieces of decorative armor, which do nothing for the player, but it sure does look nice.
- Badass Adorable: Like Plushy Makoa, Moji's Cuddly skin is a super cute patchwork doll riding on a toy two-headed lizard called Mr. Snugglesworth.
- Baleful Polymorph: Her ultimate briefly transforms an enemy into a doggie treat, which her familiar will happily snap up if given the chance.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: While they're normally hidden, Moji is barefoot underneath her robes.
- Big Eater: Po-Li's stomach is a bottomless pit. Moji constantly has to tell the familiar not to eat things.
- Bottomless Magazines: Both Familiar Spit and Familiar Spray have no reload or cooldown and can be used endlessly. This is countered by Familiar Spit's weak damage and Familiar Spray's short range. However, since both abilities can be used at the same time and are more powerful when used together...
- The Dividual: They're billed as "Moji and Friends" for a reason. Po-Li, the twin-headed familiar does the bulk of the fighting while Moji casts the spells for the barrier and ultimate. Despite Moji being the one credited as the main champion, you're still largely controlling her familiar.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Moji goes barefoot throughout the game. Her "Dragonborn" skin gives her feet straps, but still keeps her feet largely unprotected.
- Dragon Rider: Her Dragonborn skin◊ switches out Po-Li for a more fearsome two-headed dragon.
- Eye Glasses: Her regular and recolor glasses have them, but has fully modelled eyes behind them. Dragonborn Moji and Cuddly Moji fully avert this, the former wearing transparent Nerd Glasses, the latter not wearing any glasses.
- The Faceless: In her normal attire she wears a scarf over the lower half of her face at all times. In card art that depicts her in bed, she's wearing a scarf over her face as part of her pyjamas. This was finally averted with her "Dragonborn" skin, which removes her scarf, showing off her white muzzle. Her "Cuddly" skin also reveals her face (just not in any meaningful way).
- Familiar: Her trusty steed, Po-Li. Moji rides the regular mounts into battle and switches to Po-Li to fight.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Three-fingered hands, in her case.
- Funny Animal: She's an anthropomorphic rabbit-like creature called a leipori. Her Dragonborn skin reveals she has Jackalope-esque horns. She also gets really excited when she meets fellow funny animal Pip.*gasp* "You have fur? I have fur!"
* gasp* "I like your tail!"
- Gaia's Vengeance: Like Willo and Grover, she fights to protect the forests that are being ravaged by the war.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Players confuse Moji for being a boy due to not having any immediately obvious Tertiary Sexual Characteristics prominently on display to discern the gender. She does have a feminine-sounding voice normally, and Moji does have eyelashes, but the latter are obscured by her large glasses that cover her head from most angles. Ironically averted with Dragonborn Moji, as while her glasses are Nerd Glasses with no lenses, and thus shows off those eyelashes, Dragonborn Moji wears body armor for a fight against the Magistrate in Dragons Call.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: She seems to be aware that using her magical powers to send the enemy into another dimension wouldn't be much of a fair fight for the enemy team.
- Gasshole: Po-Li when using the Toot Talent, as Scamper will leave behind a fart cloud when used. Strangely, the cloud gives allies a speed boost and some health.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: In one of her victory quotes "Talk shit, get hit" turns into "Talk poop, get boop."
- Heal Thyself. Eating transformed enemies heals her a bit. Also, the "Snack Attack" Talent makes health packs drop from enemies she kills.
- Jackalope: Her lore skin, Dragonborn, reveals that she has a pair of curved horns under her hat, making her resemble a jackalope.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Although Moji's a Flank Champion, her Talents give her versatility into other roles. Boom Boom gives her area damage normally reserved for a Damage class, and Toot allows her to heal and buff allies similar to a Support.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Her voice pack from the Dragonborn skin, which is her canonical skin from the lore of the game, and makes her sound ungrateful to everyone except the healers. Moji is still a good person at heart, but her attitude and personality change that her Dragonborn skin brings is completely at odds with her default skins' voice pack Adorkable demeanour from when she was first revealed.
- Killer Rabbit: She's a cute little bunny sorceress, but cross her and she will not hesitate to turn you into a tasty snack for her familiar. Just ask Skye in Moji's champion teaser.
- Multiple Head Case: Po-Li has two heads. The left one has a derpy look on its face and shoots energy balls. The right one has a serious look on its face and sprays magical fire.
- Nerd Glasses: Her Dragonborn Skin has a pair of these.
- No-Sell: Her Magic Barrier makes her completely invulnerable to damage for two seconds. Like with Khan, this allows her to completely nullify otherwise deadly ultimates with good timing, such as Skye's Ticking Time Bomb, Koga's Cyclone Strike, and Drogoz's Dragon Punch.
- Mondegreen: Moji's ultimate callout in her normal voice pack; "Snacktime!", can be very easily be misheard as "Naptime!"
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Her large coke-bottle glasses take up half of her face. From the right angle, you can see her rather feminine eyes behind her glasses.
- Nice Girl: Incredibly friendly, and low on any demeaning comments towards her enemies. However...
- Good Is Not Nice:...Moji in her Dragonborn Skin is the polar opposite. Uptight, finds alchemy not very appealing, has a somewhat evil laugh if her familiar succeeds in eating a poly-morphed enemy, and is almost always angry about something (or someone) while in the heat of battle. In fact, the only time Dragonborn Moji isn't being rude is when she asks for healing, sounding more like her timid self, like she is normally.
- Nerf: The removal of the Superior Crowd Control Immunity mechanic in the 2.05 update makes Moji's Ultimate no longer apply on characters that have activated a Crowd Control Immunity ability, whereas previously, the ultimate bypassed Crowd Control Immunity entirely.
- Nonstandard Character Design:
- Her small, cartoony design makes her look like she's from another game, like Gigantic. Some have even said that she looks like she stepped straight out of Disney as she looks even more cartoony compared to the rest of the game.
- She's the only character who's always on a mount (unless one counts Ruckus piloting a mech). This gives her a very unique design in it of itself when compared to the other Champions.
- Rabbit Magician: She's an anthropomorphic rabbit who wears a Robe and Wizard Hat. However, her mount does most of the fighting, and the only spells she uses are her magic barrier and her ultimate ability.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Normally, Moji wears loose robes and a wide-brimmed hat that, at times, can often have players confuse her for a boy.
- Shout-Out: Word of God says that Moji's ultimate is inspired by Majin Buu's Chocolate Beam from Dragon Ball Z
- Same Character, but Different: Both Moji and her "Dragonborn" skin are canon with each other in terms of the lore of the game, so it's quite jarring to learn that certain features to Moji were added to the latter:
- Her horns from her "Dragonborn" skin are completely absent on her normal in-game model, being replaced by a wizard hat.
- Her feet are completely red normally, but "Dragonborn" changes this to have white fur on the soles.
- Her ears, much like her feet, are Red normally, but are red with white fur in her "Dragonborn" skin. The ears are also twice the length in the latter.
- Her White Muzzle and Tail aren't shown off normally, but "Dragonborn" shows them. Unlike the other examples, Moji refers to her Tail in voicelines, and Moji obviously has a face underneath her scarf.
The Twilight Assassin
Faction: The Magistrate, The Thousand Hands Guild
- Voiced by Holly Franklin, Jeannie Tirado (Heartbreaker skin), Kayli Mills (Kunoichi skin)
An assassin who works for the Magistrate in order to satisfy her lust for violence.
- Wrist Crossbow, her main weapon, rapidly fires energy shards.
- Poison Bolts fires three bolts that deal damage over time based on a percentage of the enemies' max health.
- Smoke Screen throws down a smoke bomb that blocks enemy vision and turns her invisible a short time.
- Hidden turns her invisible for a few seconds and increases her movement speed.
- Time Bomb, her Ultimate, throws a bomb that deals massive damage and destroys enemy shields in its radius.
- Debilitate makes Poison Bolts deal 40% maximum health as damage (from 10% max health) for 2 seconds (from 4 seconds).
- Smoke and Dagger makes Smoke Screen heal allies inside its radius for 400 Health every second. Also, any healing-based cards now also affect allies.
- Preparation makes killing an enemy reset all your Cooldowns and heal you for 500 Health.
- Achilles' Heel: The Illuminate Mechanic, which as the name suggests, reveals someone, whether it be by shooting at them, or by having an ability that allows them to do so. For the longest time, lots of characters had Illuminate put into their base kits just for shooting at someone. This ended up with two problems. 1: It made playing Skye, a character with focus on stealth and invisibility really hard to do in higher ranks, and 2: It made purchasing the Illuminate item from the store completely useless on anyone with a gun (which is to say, pretty much everyone). The game has had patches to only Illuminate characters for under a second when shooting at them, and there are four abilities that have it as a proper mechanic; Cassies Scout, Tyra's Hunters Mark, Vivian's Sensor Drone, and Strix's Flare (Cassie's being an Ultimate, and reveals everyone, Tyra's being single target, and Vivian and Strix's being AOE).
- Adults Dressed as Children: The Academic skin turns Skye into a music-blasting schoolgirl.
- Automatic Crossbows: Her primary attack is a wrist-mounted one.
- Art Evolution: Her costume was updated in Update 1.8 that gives her a more fantasy-based design and a new wrist crossbow with Wolverine Claws.
- Big, Bulky Bomb: Her ultimate, Time Bomb. It's big, it's loud, it's purple, with a column of fire rising from it when it's dropped. The key to making the most of it is placing it in the proper location for maximum effectiveness. Sometimes, it's more useful as a misfire, as people tend to scramble to get away from it.
- Cleavage Window: Her top exposes a ton of cleavage.
- Color Motifs: Purple. Purple represents Poison in most games, which is fitting given her venomous arrows. She's dressed in a tight mostly purple Painted-On Pants and, to cap it off, also has purple hair and pupils, which also carries over to pretty much every skin she has.
- Concealment Equals Cover: Getting behind a wall, the payload cart, or pretty much any Shield will save you from her time bomb. Her bomb also has damage falloff in an AOE, so even if you're still in its radius when it explodes, you'll suffer less damage being further away from it.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her dialogue is delivered in a dry, teasing tone.
- Difficult, but Awesome:
- While she has average health for a Flank, her Smoke Bomb doesn't conceal her and her allies unless they are actually inside it and enemies can see through her invisibility if they get close enough. This makes it hard for her to get out of sticky situations if she makes a mistake. However, she has a great rate of fire from close to mid range, can poison and debuff enemies with her Poison Bolts, blind enemies if they in her Smoke Bomb, and her ultimate can easily break enemy formations as they scramble to avoid the bomb.
- With the Talent "Preparation", she gives up the bonus damage from her other Talents in exchange for completely resetting all cooldowns when she gets a kill. While it reduces her burst damage, she can become a stealth master if she gets a killstreak going.
- Double Entendre: Most of her dialogues consists of this.
- Fanservice Pack: Everyone noticed her bust got even larger after her design.
- Femme Fatale: Sexy, seductive, and an assassin.
- Foil: To some degree, Pip. They're both not popular in their respective meta's (Skye and Pip aren't played much in Ranked as the former is too easily countered, and the latter historically hasn't done enough healing for him to be viable), they both have an option to forgo their responsibilities to play a different class of champion (Flank/ Damage Pip, and Healer Skye), and both can do decently well at that option (Pip is decently well rounded as damage goes, and Skye can oftentimes outheal Grohk, or with tank-heavy compositions; Outheal Furia!)
- The Fighting Narcissist: Very prideful of her beauty and her kill taunts for the female champs are quite belittling.
- Invisibility: She can go completely invisible for short periods of time. Enemies can see her if they get close enough, and attacking will break it.
- Leotard of Power: Well, at least she's wearing Painted-On Pants underneath. Lampshaded when Evie kills her, who mocks Skye by saying her wedgie slowed her down.
- Love Freak: The Heartbreaker skin turns her into a weird, high-pitched girl completely obsessed with love (Love is in the air!) and hearts.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Her reaction to being set on fire is to quip "I got hotter!".
- Master Poisoner: Her secondary attack causes damage over time. One of her cards also causes them to reduce healing to its victim. Combined with the Cauterize item, it turns Skye into a walking nightmare for medics.
- Ms. Fanservice: Alluring voice, drops innuendos like nobody's business, low-cut top rocking Cleavage Window, Painted-On Pants, assuming the Boobs-and-Butt Pose in the champion selection screen and the MVP posing? Yep, definitely.
- Nerf: Her Ultimate had to go through several heavy nerfs. Originally, it did 5000 damage over 5 seconds to anyone in range. Now, it does up to 3000 damage to anyone hit by it, and "up to" used to not exist That is... .
- Ninja: Her Kunoichi skin turns her into a kunoichi with a shuriken-shooting wrist crossbow.
- Not the Intended Use:
- Skye was obviously intended to use her stealth options to avoid of the enemy team's notice to, well, flank the squishier Damage and Support players of the enemy team and then escape with them. Because stealth isn't actually reliable enough for her to slip in and/or escape, players prefer instead to position her nearby the rest of the team like a Damage champion, get the Debilitate talent and load up on cards to keep shooting as long as possible so as to quickly kill/force off tanks from the objective.
- Skye has a Talent called "Smoke and Dagger" that lets them heal allies while at the same time conferring card benefits of Smokescreen to them as well. By having certain cards in a loadout (like Healing Vapors, which heals Skye for certain HP while inside the Smokescreen), she becomes an unofficial support character, providing area heals when needed. Amusingly, despite this Talent doing a complete 180 in terms of how Skye is meant to be played, Skye can do decently well, as she can act as a sub-support hero for the team, while giving Grohk (an actual healer) a run for his money in the healing department, with tank-focused team compositions allowing her even greater healing potential.
- Painted-On Pants: Her black pants are really form fitting, to the point that her fit legs are quite noticeable, which is easy to notice with her being in the Boobs-and-Butt Pose half the time.
- Percent Damage Attack: Her Poison Bolts deal damage based on the enemy's max HP. This means that, of all the Flanks, she's the one that can actually do a decent job against Front Line champions. Her Debilitate Talent greatly increases the percentage, dealing more damage.
- Smoke Out: Carries a smoke bomb for blinding enemies and is good for quick escapes or initiating sneak attacks. "Smoke and Dagger" instead uses it for invisibility and Healing allies.
- Super Wrist-Gadget: One that fires high-velocity shards or venomous bolts, and there are concealed variants from her pre-rework design, as well as on her skins.
- The Tease: She speaks in a really seductive way.
- Yandere: Her Love Freak skin's personality goes more than a little nuts at targets she repeatedly dominates.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair.
of the Ska'drin
Faction: The Paladins
An energetic young humanoid who wants to prove that his kind are good people.
- Veracharger, his main primary fire, is a submachine gun-like weapon with a high rate of fire for short to medium range.
- Blitz Upper is a quick charge forward followed by an explosive punch that knocks enemies back.
- Overcharge unlocks a second barrel on the Veracharger, allowing it to fire faster for a few seconds.
- Rune of Travel inscribes a rune on the ground that will teleport Talus back to its location after several seconds or when reactivated, as well as heal him for a bit of health. If Talus teleports back automatically, any effects on him are cleansed.
- True Power, his Ultimate, reveals every enemy regardless of their location, and teleports Talus directly to one, dealing damage and knocking them back.
- Inner Strength makes Rune of Travel reset the Cooldown of Overcharge and Blitz Upper when it activates.
- Faustian Bargain makes Rune of Travel no longer automatically activate. If the Rune isn't used, the Cooldown is reset.
- Nothing Personal reveals targets with less than 65% health to you and increases your Ultimate charge rate by 15%.
His champion teaser can be seen here.
- Being Good Sucks: Despite coming from an oppressed species, he is as Keet as they come, and yet is always faced with Fantastic Racism.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Has some kind of stone knuckle duster on his left hand that has blunt spikes jutting out of it.
- Calling Your Attacks: He'll sometimes shout "Blitz Upper!" when using that ability.
- Cute Monster Boy: He is a young creature with Cute Little Fangs, horns, a bull-like tail, and an adorably cheeky personality.
- Dynamic Entry: With his ultimate, he can pop up out of nowhere and deck enemies.
- Dummied Out: His "Oni" skin has Talus wear kabuki facepaint without his mask accessory equipped◊, but since the release of the update that removed the "Parts 'n' Pieces" system, the mask can't be removed anymore, and the facepaint now goes unseen by the player.
- Fantastic Racism: He is a Ska'Drin, an ancient, but heavily oppressed species who have been nearly exterminated at least twice. Because of this, most Ska'drin live in fear and disguise themselves by filing off their horns and tucking their tails. Not Talus, who is proud of his heritage and wants to show others that Ska'Drin are not evil demons.
- Fun Personified: There are very few lines and skins that don't make him out to be really excited and happy. His MVP poses have him jump ecstatically, his default emote is him jumping about and giving a peace sign, anbd two seperate skins turn him into two types of characters looking for fun in different ways; Trick or Treat Talus is looking for fun in...well...trick or treat-ing, and Oni Talus finds fun in pulling pranks.
- Gangsta Style: He twists his gun horizontally during Overcharge.
- Halloween Cosplay: Trick or Treat Talus◊ is a Halloween-themed skin that dresses Talus in a concealing monster suit armed with a googly-eyed monster gun.
- Heal Thyself: Teleporting back to his rune will heal a chunk of his health.
- In-Series Nickname: He insists that people call him Tal.
- Keet: He is filled with pep and excitement. His champion teaser has him pestering a busy Barik with a barrage of questions.
- More Dakka: His weapon already has a high rate of fire, but with Overcharge, he can make it even higher.
- Oni: His aptly-named "Oni" skin turns Talus into a mischievous masked little Oni who likes to play pranks.
- Our Demons Are Different: His kind has been referred to as demons. While they have horns, tails, and innate magic, they're certainly not evil.
- Punched Across the Room: Blitz Upper and True Power send enemies reeling back with a solid punch. It's not on the same level as Ash or Torvald's knockback powers, but it is enough to make breathing room and knock enemies off ledges. True Power combines this with a teleport.
- Shout-Out: In his champion teaser, after defeating everyone on the battlefield, he asks a visibly annoyed Barik if he's up for some Schwarma to celebrate.
- Stock Shōnen Hero: Talus is an energetic, bighearted, Kid Hero who strives to a good person and wants others to do the same.
- Teleportation: Rune of Travel sets a point for him to teleport to at will or after a few seconds. His ultimate can teleport him to any enemy he chooses. When used together, he can teleport to an enemy to attack and then teleport away to safety.
- You Have Researched Breathing: Along with Androxus, he's one of two champions who can punch people. In this case, it also knocks the enemy back while he charges at you, and also acts like an impromptu movement ability.
Faction: The Darkness
Species: Elf (Posessed)
- Voiced by Stephanie Panisello
An upcoming Champion releasing on October 2020 in Patch 3.05.
- Deadly Scythe launches projectiles from Vora's scythe that inflict damage over time. The weapon fires varying sizes of projectiles: a medium shot, followed by two light shots, and finally a heavy shot. Each hit grants Vora a stack of Darkness, up to five, which can be consumed by certain abilities to heal per charge consumed and empower the ability if all five charges are consumed.
- Obliteration slashes enemies around Vora, applying knockback. While using this ability, Vora is invincible. If Vora has five stacks of Darkness, enemies hit take extra damage and are slowed.
- Dark Siphon launches a projectile that damages enemies and heals Vora if it hits. If Vora has five stacks of Darkness, the enemy is also Crippled.
- Tendril is a movement ability that fires a tendril, pulling Vora towards a wall or enemy.
- Harbinger's Wrath, Vora's Ultimate ability, grants her increased movement speed and damage reduction. In this state, Vora can slash one enemy with her scythe, inflicting heavy damage, a Stun, Silence, and Cripple, or executing them if they are below 66% health.
- Unyielding Pressure upgrades Dark Siphon to deal an extra 10% of the target's health as damage over 1.5s.
- Relentless Presence gives Tendril an extra charge.
- Deafening Silence Silences enemies hit by Obliteration.
You can view her Champion teaser here.
- Back-to-Back Poster: The card art for New Purpose is set up like this so that Vora faces left, and Io faces right.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Her metamorphosis has warped and fractured her sense of ethics, causing her to admire some qualities one moment and then condemn those same qualities the next.
- The Cameo:
- The Corruption: The Darkness, though Vora's use of it comes from her own disillusionment with Io leaving the people she promised to protect, and embraces the power of the Darkness instead, which is implied to slowly corrupt Vora further as times goes on. Unlike other examples of evil that tend to stem from this trope, Vora is in full control of her faculties for the time being, and is only using the Darkness' power to wipe out the Realm because she wants to, not because the Darkness is telling her to do so.
- Creepy High-Pitched Voice: Speaks in a high-pitched, eerily off-putting, whispy voice, oftentimes accompanied by the voice of the darkness. Averted with her Seal Guardian/ Honor Guardian skins, which are based on her time prior to her decision to use the Darkness' power, and do not have an echo-ey voice being accompanied by her lines.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Her hand can be seen in Atlas's "No One Escapes" card, showing that Vora is responsible for taking his right arm.
- EX Special Attack: Each hit of her primary fire gives her one Stack of Darkness. When she uses her Obliteration or Dark Siphon with five Stacks, the attack gains extra properties (Vora is also healed for each Stack that was consumed, regardless of if she had enough to activate the extra effect):
- Obliteration gains knockback and extra damage.
- Dark Siphon cripples enemies hit.
- Love Is a Weakness: She's consistently scornful of characters who value teamwork (Ying), rely on animal companions (Cassie), or even fight in tandem with a partner (Ruckus & Bolt).
- Palette Swap: "Herald", which turns anything red a sickly purple, gives her purple markings on her body, and turns her scythe purple too.
- Gold-Colored Superiority: Getting to Mastery Level 50 nets you her Golden Skin, which turns her scythe blade golden, the handle black, while Vora's dress and hair turns black, while her dress trimmings and crystals are turned golden.
- Have You Seen My God?: She turned to the darkness after her previous goddess, Io, failed to protect her people.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Vora has, by far and away, the most Kill Taunt lines for any champion to be released, having one-liners for Every Single Champion. For comparison, most champions have three to five kill taunts, some have 5 or 10, but Vora just breaks the mould. Everything from advising Androxus to seek revenge, not redemption, insulting Zigs to Cassie, showing odd appreciation to Maeves' neutrality, Insulting Pips' strength (but claiming is self-interests is his strength), and so many more. If you're curious, here's a list of them on the official wiki.
- Sinister Scythe: She is a villainous agent of the Darkness, and wields a scythe. Although, she did wield it before becoming evil.
Faction: Thousand Hands Guild
- Voiced by Feodor Chin, Daman Mills (Demon Slayer skin)
A serious, ruthless, grim swordsman, leader of a group of criminals called the Thousand Hands guild.
- Inferno Sword, his primary fire, has a three-swing combo, each swing sending out a fiery wave: two quick hits and then a slower, stronger third hit.
- Counter where has Zhin raise his sword to block the next hit he takes from the front, sending out a projectile counterattack if he takes damage.
- Billow causes him to turn into smoke temporarily and become untargetable.
- Whirl is a quick dash forward, accompanied by a spinning sword slash, damaging all enemies he comes into contact with.
- Spite, his Ultimate, has Zhin prepare himself before rushing forward, stunning the first enemy champion he hits and unleashing a barrage of slashes on them.
- Guillotine makes Spite deal an extra 25% of the target's maximum health with every hit, grants Zhin damage immunity, and charges 15% faster.
- Yomi makes Inferno Blade's heavy shot pass through enemies, deal 850 damage (from 700), and removes its range limit.
- Smolder lets you heal for 33% of your maximum Health per second while in Billow.
His champion teaser can be seen here.
- Attack Reflector: Zhins' Block ability lets him reflect most projectiles back towards his attackers. It can also be used to dodge otherwise-deadly Ultimates, such as Drogoz's Dragon Punch.
- Animal Motifs: Dragons. He wears them on his shoulder pads, and the symbol for the Thousand Hands Guild is one.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Is constantly belittling everyone, even Healers get a Stealth Insult instead of a compliment.
- Badass Baritone: Zhin has a fairly deep voice, most noticeable when he's insulting you...which is to say, fairly often.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Sports these in his default skin. It makes him look angry no matter what.
- Black Comedy: Fittingly enough, his jokes almost all fall under this.Zhin: A wise man once told me, "Time heals all wounds." It did not un-slit his throat.Zhin: Give a man a torch and he will be warm for a few hours. Burn his home to the ground while he sleeps and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Blocking Stops All Damage: Only from the front, but as long as he has his Counter up, not even ultimates will be getting past his guard.
- Cool Sword: When you have a sword that can shoot flaming projectiles at people when oil is poured onto it, it's a given.
- Evil Has a Bad Sense of Humor: His jokes are full of Black Comedy, see above.
- Flaming Sword: His main weapon. The fires are explicitly non-magical, though the sword itself may be producing them magically.
- For the Evulz: It really says a lot about the man if his "Have fun" line is "Pillage and burn!"
- Jerkass: He shows utter contempt for just about everybody. Notably, he's the only character who actually gets annoyed at getting an assist, reacting as if they were a Kill Steal against him. Even Bomb King is supportive with his assist lines.
- Hate Sink: He has zero redeeming qualities. He ousted Koga, despite teaching him a lot of moves during his time at the Thousands Hands Guild, he burns the place where he sharpens his sword just because he felt like it, and also has some really dark humor in his jokes and taunts.
- No-Sell: Ultimates get blocked by his Counter ability, as well as other projectiles. He can also dodge deadly Ultimates by using Billow, which makes him intangable for a few seconds.
- Kiai: He starts off his ultimate with a battle shout while charging forward.
- Perpetual Frowner: He doesn't smile. Ever.
- Parrying Bullets: Counter allows him to block not just bullets, but a variety of other projectiles as well. But basically, It Only Works Once, so the likes of, say, Viktor's assault rifle won't be too bothered by him blocking a bullet.
- Rape, Pillage, and Burn: His "Have fun" line is based on the premise, just without the rape-part;Zhin: "Pillage and burn!"
- Riches to Rags: Lost his noble lineage at a young age, he turned to a life of crime to make a living. Now he runs a criminal empire that seeks to play both sides of the war.
- Samurai: His Demon Slayer skin turns him into a silver-haired Ronin who is arch enemies with Soul Eater Jenos.
- Shout-Out: His Kindle emote is a clear reference to Dark Souls, where he sticks his sword into the ground and lights it in a manner much like lighting a Bonfire in Dark Souls.
- His Sulking emote is pretty much the paladins-equivalent of Reaper's Dance emote, both of whom drop their weapons, cross their arms, and constantly sigh of boredom, with the main differences being Zhin leans back against his sword and mutters to himself, while Reaper simply taps his foot.
- One of his laughs made him stop laughing midway to say "You're a funny one. That's why I'll kill you last." Pray that he's not lying.
- Sword Beam: Basically what his main attacks looks like. Apparently, it's just him flinging burning oil in a very specific shape, though.
- Super Smoke: His Billow ability, which renders him temporarily immune to harm.
- The Syndicate: He's the leader of a dark organization called the Thousand Hand Guild.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: He really dislikes Androxus, and warns him to not interrupt his combat in unused spawn chatter.
- Token Evil Teammate: Zhin was the first real villain of the playable characters. Whereas people like Drogoznote , Evienote and Androxusnote are more misunderstood and are ambiguous in their separate intentions, and Bomb King is an Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain at worstnote , Zhin is just straight-up evil. In his teaser, he burns down the building he was sharpening his sword in just because.
- Ugly Hero, Good-Looking Villain: While he certainly looks like a traditional wuxia hero, he's anything but. This is nicely contrasted with the gruffer and weirder Champions who are actually good people beneath their odd appearances.
- Ungrateful Bastard: He dislikes everyone, no matter how friendly they may be. He has particular ire with Androxus for some reason, but this does extend to everyone else on the cast for merely being around him.
- Unorthodox Reload: How exactly does one reload a Flaming Sword? By pouring oil along it, filling up the groove it has in its blade.
- The Unapologetic: His "Sorry" voice line, is in simple terms, not. Even Raum, a demon from the Abyss says sorry.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: While normally covered up, the Conqueror and Demon Slayer skins show off his buff torso.
- Yellow Peril: He's got an oriental look and is a criminal mastermind of the Thousand Hand Guild.
- You Fool!: Says this verbatim when attacking.