When someone has powers that relate to Casting a Shadow, a very common way their attacks may manifest is as black tendrils or tentacles of darkness that grab or swipe an opponent. Sometimes they operate like normal tentacles and simply restrain or crush the target, other times they may actually blast the target with energy as a way to harm them. Almost always Combat Tentacles.
- Fullmetal Alchemist. The homunculus Pride has tendrils of darkness that appear from shadows and function like normal tentacles, though they can also sprout eyes.
- Shadow type magic in Mahou Sensei Negima! acts in this manner: creating physical darkness in the form of black tendrils which violently cut things, which one shadow-user Kagetarou used to slice the titular character's right arm clean off. Being that they were in a magic world which had advanced medicinal techniques, he had it re-attached. Recently, a shadow mage has appeared who's so powerful he's capable of pulling Haruna's Cool Airship out of the sky (along with several others). It's explicitly compared to Cthulhu.
- In Naruto Shikamaru's "Shadow Stitching" jutsu causes thin tendrils of his shadow to impale opponents.
- In The Darkness, Jackie's powers (Which actually come from a source called "The Darkness") include a pair of Combat Tentacles with maws that can grab people or tear them in half, among other things.
- Venom: Donny Cates' Venom reveals that the symbiotes are comprised of "living abyss" — the Power of the Void wielded by the primordial god of darkness Knull, and therefore all the tendrils and pseudopods that symbiotes project are this by default.
- Dungeons & Dragons: The Evard's Black Tentacles spell creates a large number of black tentacles within an area. They grab anything in the area and try to squeeze it to death, including inanimate objects.
- The third power of the Obtenebration Discipline in Vampire: The Masquerade allows the user to create black tentacles that act on the creator's will and do as he commands.
- In BIONICLE the Makuta have a variation of this with the "shadow claw" ability, which has been seen to harm or kill those grabbed by it, simply grab a hold of objects, or pull things (and people) into their body to be absorbed.
- In Dark Cloud the true Dark Genie uses these to restrain the sun giant before destroying it.
- Both The Darkness games have shadow combat tentacles. They become more powerful in the second game, offering several brutal methods of instant killing enemies.
- In Kingdom Hearts, whenever Sora taps into dark powers with Anti-Form or Rage-Form, tendrils of shadow will be radiating from his body and will lash out at enemies with certain radial attacks.
- Pokémon Diamond and Pearl: both the forms of Giratina have tentacle-like wings made of shadow. As shown in Pokémon-Amie, they can't be grabbed or cradled, for they're as transparent as you may expect from a ghost.
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy: Nergal and Nergal Jr. can both create shadowy tentacles from their backs.
- Aku, from Samurai Jack is the shape-shifting master of darkness. Many of his forms have tentacles of darkness.
- In Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, the Nibiru Entity's original form looks like a disembodied shadow, with tentacles coming out of it every which way.
- Raven from Teen Titans can do this. She has powers similar to those of Green Lantern and can cast objects and body parts made of pure darkness. But when black tendrils come from under her robe, is when things are getting dangerous.