You are a HUNTER OF DEMONS, and hunting's what you'll do, here, in the LAND OF THE CONQUERED SKY.
An short-tempered former knight who will do whatever it takes to find the ULTIMATE WEAPON and destroy all of the demons. To this end, he has somehow acquired the ability to use Banishing spells, which are theoretically impossible for non-Exorcists.
- Antihero: Type III or IV
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Shortly after hes introduced, Seb fells a decent-sized tree with a single sword slash to vent his frustration.
- Bag of Sharing: His LEVIATHAN'S LOGISTICS skill allows him to transfer a single item into an ally's (or enemy's) inventory during a battle, without taking up his turn. It can only be used once per encounter.
- Bash Brothers: With Gwyddy.
- Consummate Liar: Sometimes.
- Cool Shades
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hinted at. He's even had a few Flashbacks to it, but he dismissed them quickly.
- Death Glare: His ICE-COLD STARE
- Dump Stat: Debatery. BASIC SOCIAL SKILLS is supposed to be a starting ability. Seb doesn't acquire it until ''Lvl. 6.''
- Fire-Forged Friends: Seb tries to invoke this with Esme to insure her cooperation.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- He Who Fights Monsters: He's still in the early stages of this, but he has often prioritized killing demons over other people's well-being, and he's pursuing a dangerous Artifact of Doom.
- I Can Rule Alone: His (implied) response to The Demon's offer to teach him how to use the ULTIMATE WEAPON.
- An Ice Person: His ICE-COLD STARE has literal freezing effects.
- Innocent Bigot: He says a lot of offensive crap to the Nemeans, but it's because of a combination of low Debatery skills and prickly demeanor, rather than prejudice.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Sebastian adds a chair to his inventory for no apparent reason, other than the fact that the player told him to.
- Knight Errant
- Literal Metaphor: His ICE-COLD STARE.The General: "WAIT...
THIS ISN'T A METAPHOR.
WHY ISN'T IT A METAPHOR?!"
- Min-Maxing: Sebastian is a SMUGLY VIRTUOSO swordsman with an IMPERVIOUS hairstyle, and low-level BANISHING skills to boot. This comes at the expense of his DEBATERY, CONCEALMENT OF ANGER, and SOCIETY ADEQUACY skills.
- Moral Myopia: Obsessed with his plan to kill ALL THE DEMONS.
- Munchkin: Egregious Min-Maxing? Check. Exploiting an obscure loophole to obtain a skill he shouldn't be able to learn? Check. Violence as a first resort? Check.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With his brother. Seb plays the Blue Oni, complete with ice-related powers (an ice-related power, anyway).
- Refuge in Audacity: Many of his lies rely on this principle.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: Seb doesn't acquire BASIC SOCIAL SKILLS (which is supposed to be a starting ability!) until he reaches Lvl. 6.
- Screw Your Ultimatum!: To Aaron.
- Shoot the Dog: Seb is prepared to kill Esme to exterminate the Demon. A little ''too'' ready.
- Slasher Smile: When he's about to face Aaron.
- And later when he faces The Demon.
- Spanner in the Works: Seb manages to be at the center of everyone's plans due to his inexplicable Banishing powers. He is blissfully unaware of this fact.
- Suppressed Rage: One of his specialties.
- Twitchy Eye: Naturally.
- The Unfettered: He's gonna do whatever it takes to obtain the ULTIMATE WEAPON and kill all of the demons.
- Unscrupulous Hero
- Useless Superpowers: Why is BEING STABBED considered a skill?
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Sebastian spent most of Chapter 2 being blissfully ignorant of the impending disaster, and Chapter 3 being naively optimistic about the prospects of making it to Arael without incident.It's kinda becoming a recurrent theme that Sebastian UNDERESTIMATES THE SITUATION.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Both Gwydian and Father Lamard call him out for luring a demon into the middle of town.
- Would Hit a Girl
Things worked out alright up till now, didn't they
I keep telling ya...
You gotta have fun"
- Angst? What Angst?
- Animal Nemesis: The Forest Imp. Nothing else in the world can get this reaction out of him.
- Antihero: Type III or IV
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Bar Brawl: His favorite pastime.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Gwydian does this to a chainsaw. It hurts him, but not much.
- Bash Brothers: With Seb.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Chairman of the Brawl: One of his signature techniques. Taken Up to Eleven with tailor-made WEAPONIZED CHAIRS.
- Character Development: When Gwydian successfully resists the temptation to leave his post (despite a constant parade of women, booze and candy in front of him):...the sheer intensity of PROMISE KEEPING at display sunders the very core of the experience point awarding mechanic. Thus, Gwydian fulfilled his very own quest hook: TO STOP BEING A USELESS FUCK.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Alluded to. He doesn't let it affect him too much, unlike Sebastian.
- Dramatic Thunder: When the Forest Imp steals his murder chair.
- Drinking on Duty: To Sebastians perpetual ire.
- Drunken Master
- An Economy Is You: The Merchant actually starts selling WEAPONIZED CHAIRS OF MASS DESTRUCTION specifically for him.
- Face Doodling: Attempted on an unconscious Bartender, but thwarted by Sebastian.
- Failed a Spot Check: Esmerelda is hiding in a bush, whispering "ima treeeeee," and Gwydian's response is:Gwydian: "Woah, man, bro check this out
This is some weird-ass plant over here."
- Fastball Special: Gwydion has been both the pitcher and the projectile.
- Finger-Lickin' Evil
- Flipping the Bird: ... with a burning finger.
- Fluffy Tamer: Mr. Twiddlefeet can hardly be described as 'tamed,' but he is devoted to Gwydian.
- Freudian Slip: Of the innocent variety.Gwydian: "Look, I'll do it, okay?! I'm certainly dumb enough for it
Yeah that's what I said drunk
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger:Gwydian: "Okay, you asked for it! Here's the accusatory index finger! RIGHT HERE!"
- Grappling Hook Slinky
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Uses a dead ninja as a flail... and as a garrote.
- He Knows Too Much: The reason he kills Ava.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Quantifiably so. When Gwyddy enters developer mode, his Sociopathy stat is shown to be at 48 Kilojerks.
- Hidden Depths:
- Gwydian is a liability to the search for the ULTIMATE WEAPON on purpose, because he wants to keep his unstable brother away from the obviously dangerous artifact.
- Humanoid Abomination: According to Aaron.
- I Meant to Do That: After he accidentally punches Helmström from halfway across town
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: Accelerates his flight by using the VIER-HANDER as a helicopter blade.
- Improbable Weapon User: Gwydian is always, always on the lookout for exciting new things to hit people with. And he carries a list of random things he'd like to wield.
- Improvised Weapon: Almost every time he fights.
- Infernal Retaliation: Sebastian tries to get him to drop his weapon by setting it on fire. It doesnt work.
- I Take Offense to That Last One!: When Esme refers to him as "that lovable moron:"Gwydian: "Hey
I'm not lovable!"
- It Amused Me: Most of what he does is For the Lulz.
- A Lady on Each Arm: ... And a cat lich over his shoulder.
- Licking the Blade: http://mspfanventures.com/?adv=498&id=467
- The Loonie
- Lovable RogueGwydian: "Hey
I'm not lovable!"
- Martial Arts and Crafts: Muggers Martial Arts. It consists mainly of APPLYING VICTIMS HEADS TO SOLID SURFACES.
- Medium Awareness
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Gwydian is not accustomed to taking damage, and he freaks out a little bit when the Bartender's HOARZES actually hurt.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Gwydian senses Aaron approaching. He describes the feeling as "sobering," which, for Gwydian, is probably scary as hell.
- Nigh-Invulnerability:There's no need to hold back. It takes quite a lot to kill this bastard.
This has been tested.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Gwydian is probably the only sentient being in the world that would want to hug Mr. Twiddlefeet.
- Phrase Catcher: Gwydian is often described as a "useless fuck" by Sebastian.
- Press X to Not Die: Gwydians special combat mode. He dislikes these Action Commands so much that he destroys one (apparently, Gwydians KE_BreakAbstractConcepts was enabled)
- Psychopathic Manchild: Type E.He's like a small child, sometimes. A small child capable of acting out EVERY VIOLENT IMPULSE IT CAN IMAGINE.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With his brother. He plays the Red Oni when it comes to picking fights and getting into trouble (complete with fire-based powers), but hes the Blue Oni when hes trying to dissuade Seb from his dangerous and self-destructive schemes.
- Reckless Sidekick
- Screw the War, We're Partying!: His advice to Sebastian when they were young.
- Sir Swearsalot
- Pillagers Piledriver!
- Sticky Fingers
- Super Toughness:There's no need to hold back. It takes quite a lot to kill this bastard.
This has been tested.
- Sweet Tooth: When a sky train accidentally dumps its candy cargo into the streets, Gwydian is absolutely transfixed, and proceeds to stuff his inventory with confections.
- To Hell and Back
- We Meet Again: to the Forest Imp.
- The Worf Effect: Suffers from this when he first meets The Clown.
- Worf Had the Flu: He actually invokes this when Esmerelda pins him (while she has him pinned).Gwydian: "I was blindsided! This doesn't count!"
- Wolverine Claws: When Seb releases the seal.
You KNEW there was a name somewhere! Names are always the trickiest part. With that, you basically got the key to your entire memory!
And here you were worried you'd awkwardly bemoan your missing memories for-freakin-ever.
She was possessed by The Demon until the brothers helped her turn the tables, trapping it inside her mind. Sebastian continues to help her suppress The Demon in the hopes that she'll tell him what she knows about the ULTIMATE WEAPON.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Angst? What Angst?: Esme simply ignores unpleasant Memory bubbles, partly because there's no use dwelling on them and partly because it pisses the Demon off.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: As a Horizon Walker, Esme has the ability to analyze her opponents by SQUINTING IN A FUNNY WAY.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Esme's eccentricity is usually the subtle, high-functioning kind. But her thought process behind stabbing Sebastian certainly pushes the boundaries of rationality:You're sure he won't carry any grudge from all the pain caused. After all, YOU WOULDN'T."
- Exactly What I Aimed At: THUNDER SPIRE, one of her combo-attacks with Sebastian, appears to miss its target before unleashing a devastating electrical Area of Effect attack.
- Face Palm: When Sebastian insults the Chuckster.
- Fighting from the Inside: It's a way of life for her.
- Five Stages of Grief:You think you've found A SIXTH ONE.
- Happy Dance: When Esme learns that The Demon has been sealed. 
- Is That the Best You Can Do?: Says this to the Demon when its Combat Tentacles fail to harm her (technically, she only thinks it, but The Demon can read minds).
- Mental World: The lush, monochromatic forest where her struggles against The Demon take place.
- Nice Shoe: Esme alchemizes The Demon's power with a normal shoe to create the ALL-SEEING SHOE, a shoe as evil as it is ergonomic.
- Obfuscating Insanity: She pretends to be too traumatized to speak to Sebastian at first. He doesn't buy it.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: IMA TREE
- The Pollyanna
- Tempting Fate: Sure, go ahead and alchemize The Demon's energy with everything you find. It's perfectly safe.
- Tree Cover: IMA TREE
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: With Demon sealed inside of her, Esme finds that she has the ability to access its power to alchemize new items.
- With Catlike Tread: Esme's attempts at stealth are hilariously transparent. Fortunately for her, Gwydian is pretty gullible...
- You are MR. TWIDDLEFEET, a necromantic abomination filled with an ever-burning hate for all that lives, the sickening fires of impurity and an UNCONDITIONAL LOVE FOR YOUR OWNER.
A lich alchemized from a mummified cat and some magic dust. It seems to have become attached to Gwydian, who gave it it's name.
- Cephalothorax: After absorbing the Lich's Libation.
- Dem Bones
- Energy Absorption: Transforms into a floating ribcage-looking thing after eating Beowuulfs WARPSPELL, and grows arms after absorbs the energy of the Lich's Libation off of Gwydian.
- Fluffy the Terrible
- Flying Face: At first.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Non-Indicative Name: Mr. Twiddlefeet does not have feet until he absorbs the Lichs Libation.
- Our Liches Are Different
- Raising the Steaks
A mysterious, crowned spider who seems to be following our heroes.
A sentient weapon with lightning-based powers and a compulsion to stab everyone it meets.
- Axe-Crazy: It is unknown Alastor is sentient enough to qualify, but its actions are consistent with this profile.
- Evil Weapon: Tries to stab everybody.
- Flying Weapon
- Loyal Phlebotinum: Maybe. It tries to stab Seb from time to time, but it does make sure he isn't harmed by it's electrical attacks.
- Named Weapon
- Shock and Awe
It's your right to fucking die and see your own blood splatter in fascinating ways all over the pavement.
It's your right to LISTEN, because your kind HAS TO BE TOLD."
An especially vicious and powerful demon who possesses Esmeralda. He is also after the Ultimate Weapon.
After the brothers help Esmerelda regain control, he is trapped within her Mental World, slowly regenerating and waiting for his chance to strike back.
- Alien Kudzu: The Demon's influence in Esmerelda's mind is represented by tentacle-roots.
- Atomic F-Bomb: Detonates one when Gwydian punches him at 200 mph.
- Breaking Speech: Takes great pleasure in telling The Other Guy exactly how his Genre Savvy backfired.
- Combat Tentacles
- Compelling Voice
- Evil Laugh: Chrahahaha!
- Genre Savvy: Enough to Double Tap Arthur.
- Players Are Cthulhu: The Demon kind of freaks out when the audience helps Arthur break his trance.
- Lame Comeback:The Demon: "YOU... YOU WILL NOT MOCK ME!
CEASE RESISTANCE! RETURN TO SLUMBER, MAGGOT!"
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mind Rape: Routinely. Sebastian has difficulty keeping his "very thoughts from being ripped apart" when he faces it.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!:The Demon: ...THIS! DID NOT! JUST! HAPPEN!
- Puny Earthlings:The Demon: You're just squeaking and wriggling and breathing through your mouth and doing other disgusting things.
All that you can do, now, is listen to the voices.
- This Cannot Be!: When Arthur breaks free.
- And again when Sebastian punches him in Esmerelda's psyche.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!:The Demon:That's possession for ya, bitch!"
- Walking Wasteland: Father Lamard mentions that The Demon causes disease and decay wherever it goes.
- We Can Rule Together: The demon offers to teach Seb how to use the ULTIMATE WEAPON if he spares it. Guess how that goes...
- We Will Meet Again:The Demon: "YOU CANNOT UNROOT ME.
I WILL NOT GIVE UP MY PREY, AS LONG AS YOU LIVE.
NO ANGELS, NO EXORCISTS WILL SAVE YOU.
I WILL LURK IN THE DARK UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT.
WEAKNESS WILL COME OVER YOU AGAIN..."
Yeah, the USUAL GARBAGE.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: When the Demon discovers that The Other Guy is more influenced by the players suggestions than by its own mind control, it steers him toward the suggestions that will result in his death.
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN OUTCLASSED IN EVERY CATEGORY THAT THERE IS.
A cunning, charismatic, dragon-obsessed old man with big plans for his kingdom.
- Animal Motifs: Skal is completely enamored with dragons, and he puts their images on absolutely everything.
- The Big Board: Skal's map room is actually quite understated (for Skal), befitting the subtlety of his schemes.
- The Chessmaster: Complete with pieces shaped like the main characters.
- Deadpan Snarker:
Helmström: "I believe he knows more than he lets on, my lord."
- Seen here:
King Skal: "Next you'll be saying we probably have a monarchy."
Prince Rasp: "DO YOU HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST IDEA WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING?!"
- And here:
King Skal: "Oh, no, son.
I obviously have no idea whatsoever what I'm doing here.
In fact, I've had not a single clue these past sixty years! You've got me.
Can't hide anything from my clever son, oh boy."
- Deceased Fall-Guy Gambit: His solution for pinning the assassination attempt on the Exorcists.
- Fantastic Racism: Skal refers to the Nemeans as "feral beast dregs."
- Glorious Leader
- I'll Take That as a Compliment: Aaron: "Spoken like a true politician."King Skal: "Let us both pretend that was a compliment."
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: King Skal's guiding principle, and, by extension, the Land of the Unconquered Sky's.
- Large Ham: King Skal is a monumental example.
- Let No Crisis Go to Waste
- Model Planning: King Skal has an extensive collection of chess pieces that look like the various people he's manipulating. El Vendaval's piece is actually shown as it is being carved.It's not that cheap, since it's made of finest quality wood, but it has payed off. No deranged plans spanning centuries without strategic maps and figurines to back 'em up. You would get horribly confused without them! Who did you send to kill who again? Is that a double, triple or quadruple agent over there? Are you furthering your agenda or just dicking around because YOU ARE THE GODDAMN KING HERE?
- Pretext for War: Intends to use the brothers to blame Beowulf's assassination attempt on the Exorcists, so he can attack them with his citizens' support.
- Public Execution: His son expresses some relief that King Skal didnt order any of these during the wedding.
- Right-Hand Cat: Substitutes a small dragon statue.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Besides the ubiquitous dragon-themed rebranding, he has been the world's foremost patron of Magitek research. We are told that he has "transformed the Land of the Conquered Sky like no-one else before him."
A no-nonsense bodyguard, messenger and advisor to King Skal. Most people only know him as "The Clown."
- Bearer of Bad News: He's the one who has to tell El Vendaval about his partner's death.
- Black Comedy: If Mantikor cracks a joke, it's probably this.
- Blade Spam
- Bring It: When he finally gets to attack Sebastian, he says this.
- Cannot Talk to Women
- Clint Squint
- Dude, Not Funny!: Jokes about Arthur's death. To El Vendaval. While breaking the news of said death to El Vendaval.
- Honest Advisor: To Skal.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: His gullet functions as this.
- I Did What I Had to Do: He considers Father Lamard to be a good man and a good citizen, and apologizes to him before he cuts him down.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Fights with seven swords.
- Ironic Nickname: Why is he known as The Clown, exactly?
- Perpetual Frowner: Until Aaron gives him the evidence against the brothers that he's been looking for...
- Mathematician's Answer:Father Lamard: "Could you at least stop waving that sword around?!"Mantikor: "I could."
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: In the SURPRISE BATTLE OF TRUE MEN.
- No Sense of Humor: At least not while hes on duty. And hes always on duty.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most people only know him as The Clown, and his real name is not revealed for some time.
- Oral Fixation: Keeps a straw in his mouth.
- Phrase Catcher: "I've seen sillier collars today."
- Preemptive Apology: To Lamard.
- We Need to Get Proof: His instincts tell him the brothers are up to something, but he can't do much without evidence (except engage 'Hieronymous' in a Staring Contest).
- The Worf Effect: Effortlessly takes Gwydian down in his first appearance.
The imposing commander of Videgotto's army, and trusted advisor to the king.
- Animal Motifs: Every soldier in Videgotto wears dragon-themed armor, but the General is the only one who shoots fire.
- Badass Back: Assassination attempts do not affect his stride in any discernible way. He doesn't even need to use his shoulder-mounted flamethrowers.
- Badass Baritone
- Badass in Charge
- Blood Knight
- Breath Weapon:Gwydian: FUUUUUCK WHO'D HAVE THOUGHT A DRAGON-THEMED GUY BREATHES FIRE
AAAAARGH SERIOUSLY WE SHOULD'VE SEEN THAT COMING
GRRRRRR WE ARE SO STUPID TO BE SURPRISED LIKE THAT
- Bring It:The General: COME AT ME BROS
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Mantikor describes him as a "wuss in a metal coating."
- Cavalier Competitor
- Cursed with Awesome:The General: "WHAT IS GOING ON, HONORABLE PRINCE?
I AM TOO HUGE TO WITNESS SOMETHING DOUBTLESSLY AMUSING.
IT IS A CURSE
- Epic Battle Boredom: Dispatching waves of ninja is a matter of routine for him.
- The Faceless
- Four-Star Badass
- Freudian Slip: After being scolded by Ava:The General: "YES HONORABLE MOM
I MEAN DRAGON MAIDEN"
- Honest Advisor: To Skal.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Concedes victory of the BATTLE OF TRUE MEN to the brothers... until The Clown comes in and tells him to stop horsing around an defeat them already
- Just Toying with Them: The General doesn't see any need to go all-out in the BATTLE OF TRUE MEN. The Clown disagrees.
- Kill It with Fire: Combined with Badass Back and Shoulder Cannon.
- Large and in Charge
- The McCoy: To King Skal.
- Never Bareheaded
- No Indoor Voice: Almost always speaks IN CAPS.
- Not Bad: Says this to the brothers after they manage to hit him.
- Playing with Fire
- Rated M for Manly
- The Real Man
- Recoil Boost: Uses his s for this.
- ShoulderCannons: Flamethrowers, to be precise.
- Strength Equals Worthiness: Challenges the brothers to a SURPRISE BATTLE OF TRUE MEN to assess their readiness to face The Demon. Apparently, he does this to everyone.
- Unflinching Walk: The only walk he knows.
- The Un-Reveal: Ava was this close to revealing who (or what) the General is underneath the armor when The Clown covers her mouth. Then, The General actually lifts his visor, only to have The Clown block the camera.
- You're Just Jealous:The General: ...YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE FLAMETHROWERS.
A spiteful old priest who never stops promoting himself, usually at the expense his arch-rival Lamard. He's no fool, though, and King Skal includes him as one of his closest advisors.
- Arch-Enemy: To Father Lamard.
- Captain Obvious:Helmström: "I believe he knows more than he lets on, my lord."King Skal: "Next you'll be saying we probably have a monarchy."
- Professional Butt-Kisser:
- Shameless Self-Promoter: Makes sure that Prince Rasp knows who picked out the fireworks for his wedding (hint: it was Helmström), and takes every possible opportunity to denounce his rival.
- Smug Snake
King Skal's kindly, idealistic son who has a habit of offering unsolicited advice to just about everyone.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: His half-mask always covers the side of his face that's farthest away.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Complete with dramatic point.
- Cool Mask: He wears a golden mask that covers half of his face.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Has no idea that his beloved is plotting to murder his father. Although, to be fair, he might be a fairly perceptive guy, and the Princess of Leostaria Is just that good.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: His mask.
- The Idealist: constantly argues with his father about the latter's more Machiavellian schemes.
- Nice Guy
- Nosy Neighbor: No private affair remains undiscussed, no relationship is spared from a never-ending hail storm of advice, no wallowing in self-pity can escape UTTER OBLITERATION BY CEASELESS FEEL-GOOD-COMMENTS.
- Overly Long Name: He just goes by "Rasp."
- Random Passerby Advice:That's kinda his thing. He meddles.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With the Princess of Leostaria. Or at least toward the princess of Leostaria.
And I know you'll love it.
\\It's something fit for the future king."
A cautious, manipulative, elegant lady who conspires with Beowulf to kill King Skal.
- Ambiguously Evil
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Break Them by Talking: Does this to Beowulf before recruiting him.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Beowulf notes with horror that she has a unique character design!
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Death Glare: Seen here.
- Especially Zoidberg:Lady Naum: "NO-ONE can enter. Not even my husband. ESPECIALLY not my husband."
- Establishing Character Moment: Her very first lines:Lady Naum: "Are you trying to be destructive, little man?"
- Hidden Agenda Villain
- Kill Steal: From Beowulf.
- Kingmaker: Claims to be this when she recruits Beowulf.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mysterious Employer: To Beowulf.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:Lady Naum: You have attitude, but no CLASS.
I say you are an impostor, no better than a dirty little runt in a stolen coat,
who just happens to be immensely powerful! Ha!
You're not allowed to shot those, don't you know the rules?!"
A bored Dragonmaiden who desperately wants to find a new life for herself beyond Videgotto's walls.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Emphasis on the "anguished."
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: Ava after Gwydian piledrives a guard near her (and right after she learns of her crush's deceit, no less!)
- Break the Cutie
- Cannot Spit It Out: She has a crush on 'Hieronymous,' and spends a lot of time working up the courage to tell him.
- Character Development: After Sebastian leaves, she is determined to stop being The Load.
- Cultural Rebel: It's pretty rare to find someone with a vocal dislike for dragons in Videgotto, especially among the Dragon clergy.
- Five Stages of Grief: Ava hits the Denial stage HARD, continuing to read her entire love confession as if she hadn't just been doused in blood.
- Grew a Spine
- Grass Is Greener: Asks Seb to take her with him to see the world.
- Neutral Female
- The Load: At first.
- Love Hurts
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: during her love confession.Ava: "Embarrassed pause.
Shy glance upwards.
Smile a bit.
- Squishy Wizard
- Summon Magic: Apparently, she has learned how to summon a dragon.
- Support Party Member: The Dragonmaiden class is definitely not a direct combat role.
- Useless Useful Non-Combat Abilities: Lv. 1: Hate Dragons, Lv. 2: Perform Daily Routine, Lv. 3: Study Old Racist Pamphlets, Lv. 4: Wishful Thinking
- "WE ARE BEOWULF,
FUTURE RULER OF THE WORLD!"
A power-hungry mage who uses the ULTIMATE WEAPON to command hoards of demons.
- Abnormal Ammo: His Kinetic Charge ability allows his guns to use ANYTHING as a deadly projectile, albeit indirectly.
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Fancy Castle: CASTLE MANU is Beowulf's
- Butterfly Aura: When he activates the ULTIMATE WEAPON. He thinks it detracts from his intimidating persona, and tries not to use it any more than he has to.
- Conspicuous Consumption: Of both money and demons.
- Conspicuously Public Assassination:Beowulf: IF we are to kill a person on SOMEONE ELSE'S ORDERS, then we shall do it GRAND, at least.
- Contractual Genre Blindness: ZigZagged. His hubris often bars him from practicing Pragmatic Villainy, but he is aware of many of the common pitfalls of his profession... (see Genre Savvy below)
- Cool Guns: Theyre magic!
- Death by Irony: Attempts to perforate a rich man with his own money.
- Dramatic Thunder: His introduction page.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Dorothy.
- Evil Gloating: Refuses to engage in this when he's about to assassinate King Skal, describing it as "a typical pitfall for our business." This doesn't stop him from engaging in it at other times, however.
- Evil Laugh: "Mwahahaha!"
- Eye Am Watching You: Does this to Seb as he flies away from videgotto
- Fur and Loathing
- Finger Gun: Can summon demons and money with these.
- Gender-Blender Name: His real name is Sigrar Dorothy Sturge.
- Genre Savvy: ZigZagged. He is aware of the Inverse Ninja Law as it applies to heroes, the dangers of monologuing...
- Guns Akimbo
- The Gunslinger
- Haunted Castle: CASTLE MANU.
- Highly Visible Ninja: Gwydian pegs him immediately as an obvious assassin.
- Instant Sigils: When he summons demons.
- Impossibly Cool Weapons: They shoot demons and money! They could only be more awesome if they had tits and were on fire!
- It Amused Me
- It's All About Me
- Kick the Dog: His reasons for trying to kill Ava.Beowulf: "You know what? The Dragon clergy always annoyed the hell out of me. Us. You know.
And we're in the absolute worst kind of mood right now.
Amuse me with your death, dammit."
- Money Fetish
- Nothing Can Stop Us Now!: Does it still count as Tempting Fate if you say it all the time?
- Nouveau Riche
- Pooled Funds
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: When he's about to assassinate the Baron of Windfall:Beowulf: Could be quite... THE WINDFALL PROFIT.
- Pride:Beowulf: As a future ruler, we have ascertained that modesty is for losers.
- Pungeon Master: For example:
Beowulf: We need horsepower, dear demon.
- His "Capital Punishment" technique, which shoots coins at his enemies at lethal velocity.
- Also, when preparing to use Kinetic Charge on the ENERGY HOARZ:
- Royal "We": His trademark. He slips up occasionally, though.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud:Beowulf: "Deliberately slow chuckle.
- Say My Name:Beowulf: "WE ARE BEOWULF,
FUTURE RULER OF THE WORLD!"
- Smug Snake: Beowulf is quite powerful, but he severely overestimates himself.
- Supervillain Lair: CASTLE MANU.
- Take Over the World: His goal.
- This Banana is Armed: His SUMMONERS RIFLE technique looks just like a classic Finger Gun.
- We Have Reserves: Somewhat Justified, as Beowulf really does have a seemingly-infinite supply of demons to summon.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: After defeating a Barber Demon (that has scissors for hands) at RockPaperScissors:Beowulf: "By the holy laws of Rock, Paper AND SCISSOR, it is decreed that you, lowly barber demon, have LOST!
Wallow in your defeat, pitiable creature, and drown in and endless abyss of shame!"
- Villainous Demotivator: Sums up Beowulf's "leadership" style.
- You Fool!: Often.
- You Have Failed Me: ?
- Zerg Rush: He would prefer to use more elegant tactics, but the ability to summon an infinite number of demons is just too useful.
And I am the solution."
A brusque, dogmatic old demon-slayer who used to be Sebastians mentor.
- BFG: His trusty LITERARY GUN.
- Beam Spam
- Demon Slaying
- The Dreaded: To Gwydian.
- Knight Templar: Aaron doesn't want to kill Gwyddy for what he has done, but for what he is.
- Last Chance to Quit: Offers this to Sebastian. Unsurprisingly, Sebastian rejects the offer.
- Old Master
- Power Floats
- Specs of Awesome
1256 UNITS REPRESENTATIVE OF ACCUMULATED REGENERATION!
Means 258 in total healed!
Death has been averted once again!"
A goofy young healer who is as clueless as he is good at being shot out of a cannon.
- Crippling Overspecialization:"Howie" "...did I mention I'm REALLY good at being shot out of a cannon?"
- Hangover Sensitivity: Suffers from this at THAMATON TREE,
- Deadpan Snarker
- Reassigned to Antarctica: Skal puts him on a "special" task force to be rid of his irritating jabber.
- Wall of Text: His breathless "confession" to King Skal.
And look at that! I've got a fancy talky face portrait up there!
I can talk off ears at a moment's notice! I'm a babbling timebomb, gentlemen!"
Saint Smitefire's chipper, flirtatious assistant. She is a skilled tracker, and possesses fourth-wall breaking abilities that surpass Gwydian's.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Blatant Lies:Hat Lady: "I'm MESMERIA SCALESHINE, Drakenguard sheriff on duty!
I'm of the newly founded Kunoichi Cop Division. That's right. I'm both servant of the law AND ninja."
- Master of the Mixed Message: Intentionally, as part of her psychological warfare/flirtatious distraction technique.
- Offscreen Teleportation: She is able to use "spoiler space" as a medium for travel. From everyone else's perspective, she is teleporting.
- Perky Female Minion
- Phrase Catcher: "Stop causing conflicting emotions!"
- Sarcasm ModeHat Lady: "Oh my, an unwashed barbarian.
I don't know. Should I blush or just faint right off the bat?
HA, just kidding, you're not my type."Hat Lady: "Man, I don't know if I can resist your interrogation methods, you hard-boiled tiger you.
I am basically reduced to a sobbing, hysterical mess here!
Watch those drops of truth between all the tears I'm shedding."
- Smoke Out
- You're Not My Type: To Gwydian. Of course, she calls him a "stud" shortly thereafter.
By the holy laws of the shell game, I command you to get drunk!"
A mysterious bartender with six arms and eight blind eyes. He's one of the ten Legendary Bartenders, who are conspiring to obtain the secret of the Exorcists.
- The Alcoholic: Word of God is that he drinks to relieve the stress of being a part of a nationwide conspiracy of bartenders.
- Animal Motifs: Spiders. He's spider themed.
- The Bartender
- Extra Eyes: Eight, to be exact. Hes blind in all of em.
- Eyepatch of Power: Eight of them.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: In keeping with his spider motif.
- Obfuscating Stupidity:
- Organ Autonomy: The author has stated on his Formspring that the Black Brewers arms sometimes have a mind of their own.
- Shell Game: Anyone who seeks the COGNAC OF THE ANCIENTS must pass one of these.
- Shrouded in Myth
- Spider Person
- The Trickster: Has a reputation for being this, although all the audience sees is a standard shell game.
- Vertebrate with Extra Limbs
A former Videgotto cleric who now owns a bar in Nemean country, and conspires with the other Legendary Bartenders to obtain the Excorcists' secret.
The barkeeper of the Faltering Horse. A giant of a man who uses horses as weapons. He is also a member of the Legendary Bartenders, who appear to be conspiring to steal the secret of the Exorcists.
- Achilles' Heel: Impervious to physical attacks, unless they are directed at his chest hair.
- Animal Motifs: Horses.
- Attack Its Weak Point: See above
- The Bartender
- Bottomless Magazines: He never runs out of horses to throw. Ever.
- Carpet of Virility: Doubles as his Achilles' Heel
- The Cavalry: Fitting, considering his theme...
- Crazy Awesome: Did we mention the fact that he throws HOARZES!
- Fighting with Chucks
- Hot Blooded Sideburns
- Improbable Weapon User: He. Throws. Horses. And occasionally ties them together and uses them as nunchaku.
- Incoming Ham: Usually announced his presence by chucking a horse at someone.
- Leeroy Jenkins: According to Smitefire
- Nigh Invulnerable
- Overly Narrow Superlative:A giant of a man steps out of the bar. He is easily the largest man you have ever seen CARRYING A HORSE.
- Pun:"The Bartender:''' "...I happened to be in the neigh-borhood."
- Stout Strength: Emphasis on the strength.And the stout.
- Tactical Suicide Boss: His horse-throwing wind up leaves his chest hair wide open.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
An unassuming City Guard who longs to be an adventurer. He adopts the name EL VENDAVAL in an attempt to join the brothers' team. Now, he's out for revenge against the brothers because he thinks they killed his comrade Arthur. Taking up the mantle of the hard-boiled detective, he's on a job for King Skal to spy on the brothers. The job comes with a kick-ass dragon, too.
- Accidental Misnaming: Everyone calls him Tristan.
- Ascended Extra: The author confirmed on his Formspring that Tristan was never intended to be a recurring character.
- "Awesome McCool" Name: "El Vendaval" means "The Windstorm" in Spanish.
- Badass Moustache: As El Vendaval. He loses it when Gwydian shakes him, but it grows back when he takes a level in Avenger Noir
- Bad Job, Worse Uniform
- Cannon Fodder: When he's shopping for a suitable Protagonist's outfit, he considers buying a fashionable Red Shirt with a target on the front.
- Cowboy CopHe will show no mercy in uncovering clues, harassing suspects, and solving crime while being A LOOSE CANNON OUT FOR REVENGE ON THE SIDE. This tough guy will get the bad boys behind bars, and if it's in pieces only. He'll break the case. He'll break bones. HE IS LAW INCARNATE.
- Dare to Be Badass: His Call to Adventure comes in the form of Sebastian's insincere and condescending recruitment speech.
- The Gambler: As El Vendaval.The strange moustached warrior skillfully juggles his dice FOR NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER. You somehow gain the expression this El Vendaval is desperate to impress you.
- Genre Blind: He notices a mysterious, glowing artifact in the Exorcist's Chamber, and proceeds to ignore it.
- Grew a Spine
- Hard Boiled Detective: His persona when he takes a level in Avenger Noir
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": Played with. He starts out as a nameless guard, and Sebastian nicknames him Tristan for conveniences sake. Later, he gives himself the alias El Vendavalin an attempt to be more badass. Then, when his character naming screen finally shows up, the player names him El Vendaval, retroactively making this the name he has always had.
- I Just Want To Be Badass
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: He tries on quite a few outfits when hes trying to become a protagonist.
- Improbable Weapon User: Beats things with a table. It's not very effective.
- I Want to Be a Real Man
- The Kid with the Remote Control
- Nice Hat: As El Vendaval.
- Notice This: Double Subverted. He sees CLUES as highlighted items, but he doesnt realize theyre important. Later, when he's investigating the scene of Arthur's murder, he remembers a piece of evidence he saw back at the Excorcist's Room.
- Ocular Gushers
- Refusal of the Call: At first.
- That Came Out Wrong:El Vendaval: "Eat my table, despicable fiend!!!
This doesn't sound right somehow"
- The Team Wannabe: After Sebastian tries to fake-recruit him, he spends the next chapter trying to prove he's worthy to be recruited for real.
- Took a Level in Badass: Or, in this case, Took a Level in Avenger Noir.
- Was It All a Lie?: When he inevitably finds out that the exorcists are fake.
- What the Fu Are You Doing?: Manages to poke himself in the eye with his cool dice.
- Who's Laughing Now?
- Winds of Destiny, Change:El Vendaval: These are the dice of destiny, said to cause metamorphoses of space and time!\\ At least... I'm sure I could learn how to do that\\ Using all those rad experience us player characters are gathering...
He loves it. He loves it every time.
A snide gangster who has a history of assuming control of criminal underworlds wherever he goes. When the brothers pass through his territory, he sees an irresistible opportunity to gain leverage against King Skal.
- Cool Chair: Sits on a thematically-appropriate throne made of broken-down machinery.It seems Jackal has taken a fancy to this sickly flickering light of a dying machine.
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive
- The Magnificent:
- Mean Boss
- Psychotic Smirk
- RuthlessForeignGangster: To the Nemeans.
- Villain Cred: The Nemeans are pretty terrified of this guy.
- Villainous Demotivator
It's a tough way of living."
A surly, crooked city guard who tries his best to avoid all plot-related entanglements.
- Dirty Cop
- Dying as Yourself
- Dying Moment of Awesome: See above.
- Genre Savvy: Refuses to be named, lest he become important enough to be killed off.
- Jerkass: Mugged an old lady in the past.
- Kick the Dog: He might attract less unwanted Plot attention if he didnt insist on clubbing old ladies and extorting sex from beggar-women...
- Killed Off for Real
- Police Brutality: His favorite part of the job.
- Mauve Shirt: Tries his best to avoid becoming one of these. He fails spectacularly.
- Mugging the Monster: Tries to extort money out of Esmerelda. Not a good idea.
- Nominal Importance: His preferred state of being.
- No One Could Survive That!: But the Demon confirms his death anyway.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: Briefly considers imposing one on Esmerelda as an alternative to monetary extortion.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: YOU WILL FIGHT. FOR. YOUR. NAME!"
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide
- Those Two Guys: With Tristan.
- Uriah Gambit: According to the Demon, he once pulled this on another guard to settle a petty score.
- An Axe to Grind
- Berserk Button: Don't mention his weight. He's pretty sensitive about it, and he's heavily armed.
- Bullying a Dragon: He obviously has no idea just how powerful Gwydian is, but he did witness him pile-driving the Bartender of the Faltering Horse, whose reputation for Badassery was well-established in Videgotto.
- Dirty Cop: Tries to arrest Gwydian for brawling, but only because he bet on the other guy.
- Fat Idiot
- Freudian Excuse: He was bullied as a kid.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Since Gwydian is a player character, his antagonism counts as this.
- Tempting Fate
- Too Dumb to Live
A goofy, naive priest of Videgotto who always believes the best about the people around him.
- Actual Pacifist
- Catchphrase: Curse you, Helmström!"
- Comically Missing the Point: Assumes that Gwydian asked for the BLACK BREW out of a professional desire to make himself a more efficient projectile.
- Drunk with Power: When he replaces Helmström as the priest at Prince Rasp's wedding.
- Establishing Character Moment: In his first scene, he attempts to break up a fight between a charging Gwydian and an enraged Guard Captain by standing between them. Miraculously, it works.
- Fetch Quest: His journey to get Gwydion a beer is fraught with peril.
- Power High: After he co-opts Helmström's hat:Father Lamard: "Yesssss I can feel the power of the hat flowing through me"
- The Scapegoat
- Sitcom Archnemesis: To Helmström
- Speaking Like Totally Teen: Father Lamard is quite proud of his fluency in young-people speak.
- Standing Between the Enemies
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: When caught spying on Helmström:Father Lamard: ..oh! I didn't hear you coming!
Er, no, I wasn't watching anything in particular.
I was... angry at the decoration. Such garish colors!
Yes. I often get angry at things like that. Colors.
- Twitchy Eye: When Helmström reveals his Nice Hat.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: When he replaces Helmström in the wedding ceremony. Helmström wasn't around to hear him, though.
- You're Insane!: His reaction upon learning that 'Hieronymous' intends to lure The Demon into the middle of town
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Poor guy never even saw it coming...
Beowulf's "loyal" demon butler. He's generally either directing barely-concealed insults at his master, breaking out in spontaneous song, or both.
- High-Class Glass
- The Jeeves: 'Jeeves' is not this.
- No Badass to His Valet: 'Jeeves' is not impressed by anything Beowulf does.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud:Jeeves: Sigh...
Very well, Sir. I shall wake up the Yes Men so that you may consult with them.Beowulf: Did you just fucking SAY 'Sigh'?
- Scatting:Jeeves: "Shwoop-a-shawoop-da-shooooshoooooo
- Servile Snarker: The fact that his master has been known to kill his subordinates for completely imagined insults does little to temper his derision.
A shady (and very enterprising) street vendor.