Oftentimes in video games, the option exists for the main character to pursue a romantic relationship with some other character. Aside from dedicated Romance Games, this is most common in more open-ended games, such as RPGs and Wide Open Sandbox games, rather than games that follow a tight, "every note must be hit" plot, where any romance happens at the behest of the story. As video games are traditionally a medium aimed at a male demographic, and the general thought is that most males are heterosexual, most of the romance happens between a male character and a female character of the player's choice.
In some cases, however, game designers began to realize an increasing interest in same-gender love interests, as gay, lesbian, and bisexual people become more visible. And as an interactive medium, it's possible to include such content while giving those uninterested in same-sex romance the option of skipping it. This means that games that include romance have increasingly allowed the protagonist the option to romance a few characters of the same gender.
For Japanese games where being gay is not just an option but the game itself is themed on it, see the video game sections of Yuri Genre (for lesbians) and Yaoi Genre (for gay males). This may or may not overlap with Optional Sexual Encounter, since a game won't always go that far.
- In one of the Haruhi Suzumiya video games, where you play as Kyon, you can gain or lose favor with each character depending on how much attention you pay to them. Sometimes it's a friendship meter, and sometimes it's a love meter; that last one comes up less often for Itsuki (resident Ho Yay character) than the girls, but it still appears from time to time.
- The sixth Leisure Suit Larry game had a gay option as a Non Standard Game Over: If you used Larry's fly on Gary the flamboyantly gay towel attendant or gave him the key to Larry's room, you were treated to a game over screen featuring the two walking hand in hand into the sunset.
- Parodied by Gaia Online. A RIG centering on an injured Lex's video-game hallucinations has a dating-sim stage. Lex's options are his female coworkers Becky and Jinx... and his male coworker Russell Ace.
- Pirates of the Burning Sea allows this, in an early mission you get a choice of a number of different people of both genders that you can select to be your romantic interest later in the game with no gender restrictions. This can lead to amusing results as players who don't read the plot text then end up wondering why their character is suddenly gay.
- World of Warcraft added a small example in the Cataclysm expansion. One series of humorous quests involves listening to the awesome exploits of a couple of NPCs in the Badlands following Deathwing's path of destruction. One of them starts with the Orc showing off his flying motorcycle to a series of swooning admirers, ladies of various races... and a male blood elf. When Deathwing appears, you can only choose one of them to hop in the sidecar with you to safety. However, the quest text implies that the Orc may not quite realize the Blood Elf is male.
- One of the endings in the Dot Hack GU series allows players to fall in love with and marry another male, Endrance.
- In .hack//Link, perform a Cross Rengeki with Endrance and he'll attack the monster while Tokio is in the attack's path, only to leap in and carry him off with lots of sparkles and such. Tokio promptly freaks out. Once Endrance gets his Xth form that makes him look even more feminine Tokio will also get said sparkles before realizing what he's doing and freaking out.
- In Bahamut Lagoon, depending on the options you pick, the Heroic Mime can either be interested in the princess (who ends up leaving him for someone else halfway through the game anyway), or in his old gay mentor, a respected war general and court sorcerer. Sure, it's played for laughs (as is most romantic character interaction in the game), but for a 90's Squaresoft SNES game it's downright revolutionary.
- Demon Gaze II allows you to date both male and female demons.
- Exstetra features a mechanic where the main character kisses his party members to give them, as well as himself, boosts in combat. This is not limited to his female companions, and at the end of the game you can choose between your most kissed party members to see their ending.
- Final Fantasy VII:
- Cloud Strife will go on a date during the second time his party arrive in Gold Saucer in the story. Depending from his interactions with the other characters, the character with the highest points will drag Cloud to a date. The four candidates are Tifa (starting with 30 points), Aerith (starting with 50 points), Yuffie (starting with 10 points), and... Barret (starting with 0 points). Barret however is a subversion. Cloud actually doesn't date him, Cloud just hangs around with Barret without any romantic events occuring. He and Barret don't participate in the theatre stage play like he does with the girls, and Barret is not excited during the gondola ride. In fact, he is angry that he's hanging around with Cloud rather than having fun with his daughter Marlene. Cloud is even called out by Barret that he is not dating with any of the three girls instead.
- During the stage play, the player is given the opportunity to ruin it. Normally, the Legendary Hero (Cloud) would kiss the princess, which would kill the Evil Dragon King. But there are two other options he can kiss. If he kisses the king, it would have the same effect on the Evil Dragon King, and the Legendary Hero would end up with the king instead, which would be this trope. The other option is kissing the Evil Dragon King, but this is a subversion, since the Evil Dragon King turns back into his original form... a girl. The Hero would end up with that girl.
- Rather late in Persona 2 Innocent Sin and after many revelations to all involved, the party eventually corners The Protagonist Tatsuya and asks him bluntly who he's in love with. He has the choice of picking any of the four party members... and yes, one of them is Jun.
- Steambot Chronicles had an odd version of this. There were three female characters that could be romanced. During the dates with them, the player could inform the women that they were interested in their male friends, but could not actually date another male character.
- Ludger, the main protagonist of Tales of Xillia 2, can choose to flirt with anyone and everyone, male or female.
- The Temple of Elemental Evil video game port provides a sidequest where the party can rescue a slave named Bertram from his pirate owner. As a reward, Bertram promises himself to one of the male or female members of the party, depending on where you first speak to him (there are two places he is located for some reason, and only one of them will be interested in a male). Talking to one causes the other to disappear from the game permanently. Whatever version of Bertram you manage to recruit, if the relationship with him is pursued, you can get married to him, and if he is kept in your party by the end of the game, he and the character get a "both lived happily together" ending.
- The Technomancer allows the main character, Zachariah, to pursue a relationship with Amelia, Niesha, or Lucky. Interestingly, the achievements for romancing Amelia and Niesha are both named after puns referring to their respective characters' backstories, whereas the achievement for romancing Lucky is simply titled "Soulmate".
- The Tokyo Majin Gakuen game is full of Ho Yay, but there is a Christmas event where you can date any of the female characters, and if you have a high enough relationship rating with the main supporting male character then you can go on a date with him as well. The main male character can end up with every single party member that joins him - be it male or female — although the male/male endings are certainly open to interpretation, with the exception of the aforementioned male character whom you can date at Christmas who confesses his love for the main male lead.
- In Fallout 2, the player can be married via shotgun wedding in the farming community of Modoc, with either Grisham's son or daughter, regardless of gender.
- 7 Sins despite being a game that seems to be about being a playboy who seduces as many women as possible, has a number of encounters with men also. Bisexuality is actually encouraged as the easiest way to progress is by seducing the men too.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion has one or two Dating Sim-esque Alternate Continuity games, in which Kaworu naturally plays the Gay Option. Girlfriend of Steel 2 however, although it includes a complete non sequitur picture of naked winged Kaworu carrying equally-naked not-winged Shinji, all homoerotic options inexplicably vanish from the game after the date.
- In Tradewinds Legends one of the characters you can choose to play as is Hassan, who is on a quest to find his lost 'brother'. As you progress through the game it's revealed that Hassan's most definitely not interested in women and it's actually his male lover that he's searching for.
- Metal Gear:
- The Otacon ending of Metal Gear Solid, in which Snake shares a romantic scene with Otacon instead of Meryl, is not a true Gay Option - it's more of a romantic-friendship-confession-type thing, and it can only be achieved by making a decision that causes poor innocent Meryl to die. All this said, it's casually referred to by the fandom as 'the gay ending'.
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has a couple of Dating Sim missions where Snake can go on a date with, and get some implied action with, the adorable Paz Ortega Andrade. However, if you don't like guuuurls, you can do those things on a date with hunky Miller instead. You can even take photos of him in his underwear.
- One of the endings in Luminous Arc 3 involves the hero Levi and male teammate Dino embracing romantically on a secluded beach.
- If the player in CLANNAD has Tomoya ignore all of the main heroines, in the storyline's ending he ends up with Sunohara. There is also the Kappei route, where Tomoya spends the first half or so unable to tell if Kappei is male or female (and having awkward feelings while wondering). After Kappei is revealed to be male, he gets together with Kyou's twin sister, Ryou.
- In Cross Days, a companion game to School Days, protagonist Yuuki can pursue Makoto.
- The Enhanced Remake of the visual novel Happiness had the gay option in the form of Ensemble Darkhorse Jun Watarase. Most people ignored the women in favor of Jun's path.
- While Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! doesn't have any routes for it (though not for lack of options, as Touma is quite open about his preferences and displays interest in Yamato, and Ryuuhei is straight up just gay), there is a Bad End where Yamato admits he has preferences he didn't quite expect, along with an implied scene.
- In the PS Vita game of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU? Totsuka Saika gets his own ending with Hachiman.
- In PQRS The Game, you can choose Ellen or David to end the game with. You can express your love for Zak, too, but he reacts with a Squick. Surprisingly, though, he'll change his mind during non-David endings.
- In the post-prologue part of Ristorante Amore, Liam and Ethan are included among Pierre's romance options.
- Inverted in the Yaoi Genre visual novel Sacred Sand. Of the 21 possible endings, there are two which involve Lorr ending up with Learah: one is a romantic pairing while the other is a friendship.
- The male characters in Shira Oka: Second Chances also have paths and endings, although they're only a bit Ho Yay and not full-on romance.
Wide Open Sandbox
- In Bully, Jimmy can lock lips with any girl to gain a health boost. He can do the same to a few of the boys, one for each clique. Despite the fact that "finishing" his Art class allows him to romance female students without giving them a gift first, he will still have to hand the guys a present before they will be his. Also, while there are multiple kissing girl animations, there's only ever one for kissing boys.
- Grand Theft Auto:
- In Grand Theft Auto IV, Niko can send date invitations to other men on the in-game website love-meet.net, but, like the other website 'filler' characters, they will not reply. One mission involves going on a date with a gay man, but this is not a Gay Option, since this is an assassination mission.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas lets CJ kiss men, but this only applies in multiplayer mode and if the 2nd player chooses a male character.
- Most of House Party is spent trying to get the attention of one of the available girls. Amy is participating in a scavanger hunt, and one of the item she needs is a condom, which fellow party-goer Frank has. But if you ask him for it, he thinks you're hitting on him and refuses to talk to you until you either "confess" to having feelings for him or prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that you're straight. You're completely welcome to make that confession, which leads to him taking you aside and giving you a blowjob.
- The video game adaptation of The Princess and the Frog has a mild one of these. One minigame is like tag... but the person who's "it" is a frog who has to kiss another character to make them the frog. Player default is Tiana, with the other 3 players being Prince Naveen, Tiana's best friend Charlotte, and her other friend Georgia.
- The Interactive Fiction game Violet has a text command ('HETERONORMATIVITY OFF') to turn the story into a lesbian romance.
Choose Your Own Adventure
- In the Choose Your Own Adventure book Pretty Little Mistakes that has an explicitly female protagonist, most of the love interests are male but one of the story branches lets you get together with another woman instead.
- As does Night Of A Thousand Boyfriends.
- The Guenevere game hosted on Choice of Games allows the female PC to romance any combination of Arthur, Lancelot and Morgana.
First Person Shooters
- The first Star Trek: Elite Force game lets you play as either Alexander Munro or Alexandra Munro. Either way, your character flirts with female teammate Telsia Murphy, who might return the flirting in optional scenes.
- An odd case in The Secret World in that it is not so much a lesbian option as a lesbian obligation. Regardless of gender, player characters who belong to the organization known as The Dragon will receive oral pleasure from an attractive asian female during an early cutscene. Whether they like it or not.
- In Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura, female characters can have same-sex couplings at a brothel in Tarant. It's possible to get a non-violent non-deceptive outcome to the confrontation with the female leader of the Dark Elves by simply responding to her attempts to seduce the main character. Only if the protagonist is especially attractive, mind you (beauty is a stat in Arcanum).
- Knights of the Old Republic features Juhani, a female Jedi of a catlike race, as a possible party member. If the player makes their character a female and follows the Light Side path, Juhani confesses her feelings for her before the final battle. The player can tell Juhani she feels the same way, or that she just doesn't swing that way. If a male character flirts with her she's openly disgusted at the idea.
- The Neverwinter Nights expansion Kingmaker provides the bisexual nymph NPC Kaidala who can be romanced by female as well as male characters.
- The Female MC route in Persona 3 Portable offers you the choice of Theodore or Elizabeth as your Velvet Room guide. Elizabeth maintains her flirty, if not outright romantic demeanour toward the MC, regardless of gender, though the scene where she "spends a long time" with the MC is cut out of the female version. Aigis is fiercely protective of the MC regardless of gender, and her social link text remains the same with a female MC as it was with the male, though the voice acting is cut out during rank 10 in the female route. However, as she is still asking you to touch her Papillon Heart, an extremely intimate gesture bordering on pseudo-robot intercourse, she can be considered a gay option for the female MC.
- The Swordcraft Story sub-series of Summon Night has lesbian options, that are almost impossible to avoid. Female summons in both games gain a crush on the main character and playing as a female does nothing to deter them, and in-fact only encourages them (Sugar only gives the famed kiss to a female PC).
- Inverted in Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle . Although the game is Yuri Genre and thus has many female/female options, there is still one ending where the Duchess can end up with Embric.
- Chrono Days Sim Date and Lunar Days Sim Date both have a lesbian option included among the Secret Characters. Additionally, the later Number Days Sim Date has Lena as a romanceable character from the start.
- Harvest Moon: Korobokkuru Station For Girls had a thinly-veiled Gay Option, allowing you to use a "Best Friends Ceremony" to get one of the special wives from the male version to move in with you and eventually bring you a baby, as if they were a husband. This was removed for the US version, Harvest Moon DS Cute — more obnoxiously, Natsume refused to confirm they removed it, and they left in all the related scenes up to actually "proposing", so it's taken hours of work by dedicated players to, in fact, confirm it's not in there. Fans were understandably annoyed.
- In the online game The Hookup one of your options is the girl, Sarah.
- In the lawyer sim Love&Order, one of the romance options for your female PC is a female attorney.
- In Princess Maker 4 (possibly only the PC version), if your daughter avoids marrying any men and has a close enough relationship with one of her female friends, she may end up living "happily ever after" with the girl in question.
- Fantasy life sim Spirited Heart has an Expansion Pack called "Girls Love", which opens up six female love interests. In the "Deluxe" version, they are already included.
- Because the default player characters for the Way of the Samurai series are male, with female PC models being unlockable extras for game completion (the series focuses on having a large number of relatively short paths), or awards for Non-Lethal K.O. (which allows you to use the victim's model for yourself on future plays) on a female character in 3, the game almost always treats you as male, allowing you to visit a brothel (and even get the ranking for visiting it enough times in a cycle), take up the offer of a Fallen Mafia Princess to "take [her] inner woman" so she can fight, etc. The one NPC that reacts differently to a female PC in 2 (the female sword informant), can still be (hopelessly) asked on a date.
- In Long Live the Queen, the need to marry and provide heirs for the country means most of Elodie's romance options are male, but there are still three women she can possibly end up with, one of whom she can even officially marry, although achieving that particular outcome is extremely difficult.
- In the mobile game Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, players are given a choice near the beginning as to whether they would like to date men, women, or have no preference. The dating options don't change in personality or role, but simply are of the gender you picked (or random if you chose no preference).
- In C 14 Dating, player character Melissa can romance a number of male characters, or one female character. Slightly differs from the norm in two ways: first of all, all the characters have a defined sexuality and Melissa and Joan aren't the only queer ones (two of the male love interests are bi and one is a straight asexual), and secondly, even though it is already possible to date a girl, the makers are also working on a yuri version of the game where the male love interests are replaced with totally-new female love interests.
- In Caramel Mokacchino, the female protagonist will be able to choose between three men and two women for a romance. There will also be two polyamorous options where you're able to date one of the male love interests and one of the female love interests simultaneously; in one possibility, the two love interests also date, while in the other, the two are just friends.
- The short H-Game Cute Demon Crashers has the option of the protagonist choosing between four sex demons for her first time (or none of them, or all of them), three male incubi and one female succubus.
- In Fatal Hearts, most of the romance options for the female protagonist are male, but your female best friend is canonically in love with you and can get together with you in one ending.
- The HD version of Hatoful Boyfriend has a possible ending where the female protagonist ends up with Azami.
- Heileen contains three romantic endings for its female protagonist: a ridiculously easy to get straight option, a difficult to get heavily Les Yay ending, and lastly another difficult to get lesbian ending. The third game in the series has an expansion pack that opens up romantic endings for both female characters from the first game, Ebele from the second game, and a female pirate who appears briefly in the ending of the second game.
- The Letter has one same-sex option among its potential romantic pairings. It's between Hannah and Marianne.
- Magical Diary is an Everyone Is Bi setting; the first game allows the female PC to date both of her female roommates as well as kiss another girl who isn't an official option.
- In Mystic Messenger, Jaehee has a route of her own and the female player character can also get together with Rika in one bad ending.
- In The Royal Trap, there's an option on Callum's path to run away with Dolores instead if you're nice enough to her and turn down Callum's proposal. In addition, Gaston's maid Colette is revealed to be interested in women only and while she doesn't have a route of her own, you actually get more quasi-romantic interaction with her in Gaston's route than you do with Gaston himself (as he turns out to have eyes only for Cassidy).
- In Seduce Me, the female protagonist can pass over the obvious five incubi love interests in favor of wooing one of her female friends (Suzu or Naomi) or the succubus Diana.
- Queen's Gambit has enemy spy Emily Verma.
- Kisses And Curses has fellow witch and best friend Melanie and witch hunter Anastasia.
- Each of the Voltage Inc romance VNs under the new Lovestruck app include at least one female love interest:
- Castaway: Love's Adventure: Serena Zhang, the doctor.
- Astoria: Fate's Kiss: Medusa. Astoria also features a non-binary love interest, Alex Cyprin.
- Gangsters in Love: Aurora James, the gambler.
- Love & Legends: The wizard Altea Bellerose and the enemy sorceress Helena Klein.
- Speakeasy Tonight: Sofia Martinez, the singer.
- Starship Promise: Nova, the super-soldier.
- Havenfall Is For Lovers: Mackenzie Hunt, the werewolf; Vanessa Helsing, the vampire hunter; as well as non-binary option Jordan "JD" Davies.
- Villainous Nights: Andi "Cat" Kim and Lorelei "Badger" Linden.
- Shall We Date? introduced Celina in Love Tangle as the company's first lesbian romance option. The same game also had a side story for Joy where the main character could get together with her, but it wasn't a proper route.
- In HuniePop, you can choose to play as either a man or woman. Playing as a woman only changes the pronouns though, the girls still act the same as they do with a male player.
- Tabletop Dating Game/RPG-ish thingie GxB has a Gay Option for Momoko in Risa, the class president. This is despite GxB being short for "Girl x Boy." Whether she gets chosen depends on a mixture of luck, the tastes of Momoko's player, and how well Risa's player runs her.
Choose Your Own Adventure
- All of the Choice of Games games allow a gay option (at least, the ones that have a romance element at all do). In Choice of the Dragon you can choose the gender of your mate (or 'I don't care'). Choice of Broadsides allows you to have an affair with Villeneuve, who is always the same gender as you. Choice of Romance always gives you the same options for love interests, but said love interests are male or female depending on whether you say you are flirting with men or women in an early decision. And in Choice of the Vampire, you are able to have an affair with Clotho on one hand and Silas, your dominus, and to an extent Jesse on the other hand regardless of gender. Also, in all but Choice of Romance (and possibly Choice of Broadsides) can you be bisexual - and in Choice of Romance your love interests are always all of the same gender. Choice of Broadsides is a little odd: when you're asked if you want to get married you can choose to claim you are attracted to your own gender; if you do this, and are friendly enough to Villeneuve, he/she will hit on you and you can accept. If you chose differently, this will never happen. However, after your affair you might have the opportunity to still get married; the text implies at first that you are doing this just to go through the motions or increase your position in society, but after that the description is pretty much identical to what it would be if you truly were interested in these men or women.
- In Fallen London your character can romance male and female partners, including a couple of threesomes.
- In the second installment of Way Walkers University, the game lets you romance your choice of two male or two female characters. All characters are available for any gender PC.
- Final Fantasy XIV has the Eternal Bond system, an in-game marriage system for players that comes with cutscenes, the ability to invite friends to the ceremony and grants the spouses small advantages like rings that let them teleport to each other or a mount for two people. The gender and species of both spouses is irrelevant, even if this leads to some bizarre pairings such as a giant Roegadyn of either sex, or a Male Au Ra paired off with the Tiny Lalafell who barely reach their knees.
- Mabinogi has a marriage system that allows two player characters to obtain a few extra bonuses when near their spouses, as well as forming a family. The US servers allow for same sex marriages.
- The "Alban Knights Baltane Special Unit" content allows you to train up to 3 of 6 different squires (3 female, 3 male), and while not a full-blown romance you can go on dates with them. Although the player's gender doesn't affect the outcome of any scenario with the squires it does alter some dialogue with them.
- World of Warcraft has a week-long Valentine's Day Special every February where—besides the thematic quests—you can get citizens and guards of the main city to fall in love with you. Male NPCs like people who wear perfume while female NPCs prefer the smell of cologne, regardless of the wearer's sex. The Love Is In The Air event was afterwards changed so that you no longer have to win over city guards.
- Elona allows you to marry any character you can recruit, regardless of gender (or species, for that matter). And you can recruit almost every single character in the game.
- In the HD version of Spelunky, you regain health by rescuing Distressed Damsels and bringing them to the stage exit, where they will kiss you during the between-levels transition, regardless of your chosen character's gender. The options menu allows you to change these damsels into Chippendales Dancers, who also kiss you to restore life. You can also have them be pug dogs, who simply lick you, or randomize their appearance.
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey includes romance options for the first time in the series, allowing either Alexios or Kassandra to romance male and female characters alike.
- In Baldur's Gate II, Tiefling bard Haer'Dalis can make use of a male Drow sex slave; Word of God says the team just figured "he'd be up for anything". The Enhanced Edition added two gay options — a bisexual male half-orc blackguard, and a lesbian human vampire thief. Unfortunately, a good protagonist still lacks a gay option, since both of those are quite evil.
- Cyberpunk 2077: V can romance and have sex with male and female characters regardless of V's gender, though some major romance options are only accessible if V is a man or a woman.
- In Divine Divinity there is a brothel where a player of any gender can sleep with both male and female escorts.
- Divinity: Original Sin has this with the two customizable protagonists that can be of any gender.
- In Divinity: Original Sin II, no matter your character's gender, or the gender of the character you want to hook up with, you can romance any of your companions if you so desire.
- Dragon Age:
- In Dragon Age: Origins your romantic options include Zevran, a male Depraved Bisexual elf, and Leliana, a female bisexual woman, who all PCs can romance. You can also have a threesome with Zevran and an old flame of his, a female pirate, as an alternate method of getting one of the Specialization classes. You can also do this scene with Leliana if you are romancing her, or a foursome with you, Zevran, Leliana, and the aforementioned pirate. The Human Noble origin can have an optional encounter with the son of a minor lord or an elven maidservant, again, regardless of the character's gender. And there are sex workers at the Pearl that the PC can hire regardless of anyone's genders.
- Dragon Age II has four bisexual romances in the main game, one exclusively-straight DLC party member and one DLC bisexual Guest-Star Party Member.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition has Dorian and Iron Bull for male inquisitiors, and Josephine and Sera for females. Scout Harding can also be flirted with regardless of gender.
- Dragon's Dogma allows the Arisen to romance nearly any NPC in the game by raising their affinity levels through completing quests, giving gifts, or simply talking to the NPC constantly. The NPC with the highest affinity for the player becomes involved in the final boss fight which leads to some unfortunate players, unaware of the romance mechanic, wondering why their true love is an old blacksmith or innkeeper.
- In The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, there are a number of characters the player can propose to and marry. None of the prospective loves take gender or even species into account. However, while there's a perk that allows you to get better prices from a merchant of the other gender, there's no way to seduce merchants of the same gender as your character, even if you have a same-gender partner.
- Enderal, a total conversion mod for the aforementioned Skyrim, includes two bisexual companion characters (Jespar and Calia) who can be romanced by a male or female Player Character.
- Fable I provides many options for heterosexual marriage, a few for gay marriage, and, if you can get away with it, a whole lot of options for Polyamory. The two aren't exactly equal, though; while heterosexual marriage provides the player with a dowry, an occasional source of income and items, and a cutscene detailing the importance of the marriage to the hero's life, the gay marriage just gives you the income and items.
- Fable II doesn't exactly provide a dowry, but it's a lot more forward about your relationship. If you're married to someone of the same sex, whenever an NPC refers to the relationship, they'll always say "husband" or "wife" instead of "partner".
- Fable III expands on this a bit, allowing players to adopt children from an orphanage that becomes available about half-way through the story quests and sending them to live with their husband/wife. Wedding ceremonies can now also be set in chosen locations leading to a short scene where the officiator announces you "husband and husband" or "wife and wife".
- Fallout 2 provides the player with the option to marry either the son or daughter of a farmer, no matter what the main character's gender is (however, if you were "Separated"—i.e. if the spouse died—you could not go back to the town and marry their sibling). Additionally, several NPC characters were gay or bisexual, allowing for same-gender seduction, sometimes to provide an alternative way to complete a quest.
- In Fallout 3, you may buy the services of Nova, Megaton's good time girl, and those of Clover, a slave with a rather ironic fetish, regardless of your gender. This isn't even hand waved and there are no male counterparts. With the Black Widow perk you may also suggest a threesome with Ronald Laren with Sierra to get him to do what you want; this gets him killed.
- Fallout: New Vegas introduces the Confirmed Bachelor and Cherchez la Femme perks, gay counterparts to Lady Killer and Black Widow, as well as gay (Arcade Gannon) and lesbian (Veronica Santangelo) companion characters. In fact, gay men have the most sexually implicit or explicit interactions in the game, as in addition to their own perk-locked content, just about every character that a "heterosexually active" (Black Widow perk-equipped) female PC can get is also available to a gay male PC.
- Fallout 4 has twelve companions, and the player character can romance specific companions (Preston, Piper, Hancock, Curie, Danse, MacCready, and Cait) regardless of gender.
- Heroes of Legionwood allows its protagonist, male or female, to romance either Jeska or Vane.
- I Miss the Sunrise has Kara and Mahk. While Kara will be with Ros regardless of gender, Mahk will only be attracted to a male Ros.
- Jade Empire allows the player to flirt with three different members of their party, two of them are all up for same-sex coupling, ultimately resulting in a night of romance before the final battle (and, in one instance, a possible threesome). However, due to Executive Meddling from Microsoft, the scene goes to black right before any same-sex kissing is seen. Luckily it can be fixed in the PC version with this Game Mod found here.
- Each of the two possible player characters in Loren: The Amazon Princess has two straight and two gay romance options. The easiest option, the title character, is a heterosexual relationship for Saren and a lesbian one for Elenor.
- The game's expansion adds two more bisexual options, female necromancer Chambara and male demonblood Mesphit.
- Mass Effect:
- The first game sort of allows for this if the player creates a female playable character and chooses to romance the Asari member of the squad, Liara T'Soni. Asari are a One-Gender Race, their whole race being female; however, from their own cultural perspective they don't view themselves as female, since they don't have any other gender to distinguish from. So it's definitely a lesbian relationship from Fem!Shepard's human point of view, but to Liara it's just a relationship like any other.
- Mass Effect 2 allows a romance to bloom between Kelly Chambers (a human woman) and a player character of either sex. However, the game does not count this as a "true" romance, you can do some light flirting and, at most, she dances for you. Starting a romance with Kelly Chambers will not grant the Paramour achievement or keep Shepard from starting a relationship with a party member. The developers described it an easter egg, rather than a true romance path. This can be upgraded to a "proper" relationship in 3, insofar as the game recognizes it with the Paramour achievement and a photo of Kelly in Shepard's room aboard the Normandy, but this is still obviously much more shallow than a standard ME romance.
- Mass Effect 3 has actual gay relationships, with Male!Shepard getting shuttle pilot Steve Cortez or a Relationship Upgrade with Kaidan, while Fem!Shepard gets Liara, tech specialist Samantha Traynor, or reporter Diana Allers. Amusingly, Fem!Shep has more gay options than straight, since she only has two possible male suitors, and both are returning characters who could be dead at the start of the game depending on the player's choices, leaving only the ladies.
- Mass Effect: Andromeda allows a male Ryder to romance Jaal, Gil or Reyes, or a female Ryder to romance Peebee, Vetra or Suvi. Jaal was originally an exclusively heterosexual option but criticisms about the game's lackluster Gay Options for male Ryder prompted BioWare to update his romance in a patch.
- Planet Stronghold (from the makers of Spirited Heart) has three possible romance options for each gender, one of which is a same-sex relationship (Joshua and Prince Cliff, or Lisa and Michelle).
- Pokémon Black and White has ferris wheel rides coated with innuendo in the Japanese version. Hilbert gets a hiker and Hilda gets a Meido. Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 bring back the gay Ferris Wheel dates; Rosa's is a punk rocker, Nate's is a schoolteacher who could only get his job by passing as a woman. The latter gets censored in some versions.
- The math behind Star Ocean: The Second Story's friendship system was hidden, but boiled down to Friendship and Romance points. The characters that best matched up for one another (roughly) would end up having a cut scene together in the ending, be they same or different gender. It was hard to get high Romance Points between same-sex characters due to a lack of appropriate cut scenes, so sabotaging the opposite-sex ones is the best tactic.
- The "bad" Gypsies in Ultima VI (there were two groups) also offered their bodies for a fee regardless of gender.
- The Lazarus remake of Ultima V added a potential gay encounter in Buccaneer's Den.
- In "The Baths" in Buccaneer's Den, Ultima VII, the Avatar could have sex with either male or female sex workers.
- Ultima VII Part II: Serpent Isle has a female character who attempts to seduce the Avatar, regardless of the Avatar's gender - and if the player turns her down, she uses magic to try to force herself on them.
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines:
- Female player characters can seduce a number of female bar patrons for blood, and they could also have sex with a female vampire character, just as the male player characters could. There's a single instance in the early part of the game where male vampires could seduce a male NPC for blood, but you had to have a fairly high charisma stat early on for it to work. Also, if your charisma is high enough, the prostitutes give quite the discount to female PCs, with the logic "Mm, I don't get to do women often..."
- The gravekeeper, Romero, has some... needs... that apparently must be fulfilled right now, and he wants you to watch the zombie infested cemetery while he takes care of them. If you're female, you can offer to take care of said needs instead. In the unofficial patch made by one of the original programmers, Romero was changed to bisexual to allow male characters to do the same.
- The latest unofficial patch allows a "Homosexual" background for the PC. One of the more obvious changes is the sex partner at the start of the game. Male characters can attempt to Seduce other males as well.
- Artificial Academy by Illusion allows you to have entire classes filled with school girl lesbians or gay school boys, it's all up to the player and whether the character was set to homo/bi in the Maker.
- Farmville 2 lets you earn a sweetheart to help on the farm, who you eventually get engaged to and marry. You are allowed to choose either sex as your partner, and have a family with him or her.
- Frontierville, Zynga's spin-off of Farmville, allows the player to chose a male or female spouse, regardless of their avatar's gender.
- This caused some "controversy" in the video game version of the board game The Game Of Life.
- Harvest Moon: A New Beginning has a strange variation: Although the game sets your choice of Love Interests based on the gender you choose for your character at the start, it also lets you customize your character, and both male and female appearance options are available no matter what gender you set for your avatar. Since your character is never referred to with gendered pronouns (a few characters do refer to you as their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" when you're dating them, such as Rod, who will occasionally call you his girlfriend), you are free to choose the "female" option at the start, give your character a completely male appearance, and then start wooing the boys (or vice versa). It has some unusual implications once you have a child, though.
- In the indie Raising Sim series Kudos, you can turn same-gender relationships on or off in the options menu.
- Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (also known as Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry allows you to a achieve a relationship with a townsperson the same gender as you called "Bound by a Strong Connection." This is treated as a Romantic Two-Girl Friendship (or Two Guy Friendship) by townspeople.
- My Time at Portia allows the player character to date and marry any of the eligible bachelors or bachelorettes.
- Every Nummyz Dating Sim contains a gay/lesbian character; at least one even has an explicitly bisexual character, breaking the No Bisexuals rule.
- The Sims:
- Characters of the same gender can fall in love and move in together, even if they can't get married like their straight counterparts. The problem is corrected in The Sims 2, which allows for "joining" ceremonies between characters of the same gender; there's a "hidden" meter for sexual preference for each character in, from -1000 to 1000, which influences (minorly) just how successful a character is when attempting romantic interactions with another character. If, for example, a character is 1000 points of hetero, and -1000 of gay (for lack of a better term), they are extremely likely to reject all romantic interactions with the same gender. Though a new character has both preferences set to 0, so really, Everyone Is Bi.
- In The Sims 3, characters of the same gender now have equal marriage rights and just about any two characters can be encouraged to fall in love with little effort. Interestingly, there is a hidden setting of how heterosexual or bisexual a neighborhood is. At factory default, neighborhoods are almost exclusively heterosexual, with characters generally only finding opposite sex characters attractive. However, the more the player encourages same-sex relationships, the more the neighborhood opens up same-sex attraction in non-player characters. Eventually just about Everyone Is Bi, with no gender preference to attraction at all.
- The game Singles: Flirt Up Your Life, a The Sims-style game in which you try to manipulate two roommates into hooking up, has a gay character of each gender available to choose from. When picking the characters, you either pick one of each gender, or the gay character and another character of the same gender, and it's not any harder to get the "straight" characters into a relationship with the gay character than with an opposite-gender character.
- Stardew Valley allows the player character to marry any of the twelve bachelors or bachelorettes, regardless of gender.
- World's Dawn asks the player their gender preference at the start of the game; there are three men and three women available in town, and your choice determines which (or all) of them are willing to fall in love and marry you. If the number of reviews stating "it's like Harvest Moon but you can be gay" are anything to go on, the gay option is at least as popular as straight.
- Game of Life: At one point in the game you have to get married and you choose a pink or blue peg to join yours in your car playing piece. There has never been anything at all stopping you from choosing a same-sex partner peg when you get married in the game, and it has no influence on your ability to have children.
- The majority of Fire Emblem games have support conversations between two characters and, given a high enough support level, can alter both their endings.
- Fire Emblem Tellius: Despite having a lot of male and female admirers, Ike only has two paired endings, both with men: Soren and Ranulf. There is a base conversation that can only be seen in a second play with an A-ranked support between Ike and Soren and transfer data from Path of Radiance with the same.
- From Fire Emblem Elibe, Raven and Lucius, Lyn and Florina. Heath and Legault and Karel and Lucius do not have paired endings, but both conversations are high on the Ho Yay.
- From Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Joshua and Gerik. They both have endings with women (Natasha and Marisa, for Joshua; Tethys and Marisa again, for Gerik), but if they get an A support, Gerik pledges his loyalty to Joshua and stays with him when he's crowned as King of Jehanna.
- Oddly for a series that has previously included this trope, the ending of Fire Emblem Awakening does not account for high-level Supports between characters of the same gender, romantic or otherwise. However, the Hubba Tester does not does try to hide anything.
- Fire Emblem Fates includes a feature called "skinshipping" where the Avatar can pet and stroke the members of his/her army to raise affinity with them, gender being irrelevant. Two characters can achieve S-rank with an avatar of the same gender; a male avatar can marry one of the male units from Nohr (the Tall, Dark, and Snarky Niles), while a female avatar can marry one of the female units from Hoshido (the Dark Magical Girl Rhajat).
- Hustle Cat allows players to choose Avery's gender (and even switch it mid-game, should they wish to), and players can romance every character regardless of chosen gender.
- In Roommates, the male Rakesh and the female Isabella can be romanced by the two player characters Max and Anne.
Wide Open Sandbox
- Façade lets you flirt with Trip, Grace, or both, regardless of your character's gender. Granted, they're too wrapped up in their own issues to reciprocate, but they do acknowledge the interest.
- Saints Row:
- The flexible character creation system in Saints Row 2 allows you to do something like this. You set a gender for your character in the presets menu but are allowed to change the body, face and voice actor to fit a different gender. When you perform the Ho-ing Diversion you'll then hear voices from the same gender.
- Saints Row IV introduces Optional Sexual Encounters with many of the side characters, male and female. All of them are available, regardless of the Boss's gender.